The Problem With Being Padfoot by goldensnidget92
Summary: Sirius has a problem. He doesn't want to ask James's help. But could an unexpected offer from Madam Rosmerta solve everything? And will James realise that the bravado and good looks of his best friend are just a facade?

CAN IT BE TRUE? This story achieved an honorable mention in the Illustration for Inspiration Challenge
Categories: Marauder Era Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 4315 Read: 1624 Published: 06/20/12 Updated: 06/24/12

1. The Problem With Being Padfoot by goldensnidget92

The Problem With Being Padfoot by goldensnidget92
–So do you come here a lot?” Julie Pod asked above the cacophony in the Three Broomsticks.

–Yeah, whenever they let us come to Hogsmeade, really,” replied Sirius. –James and I have a … special relationship with Madam Rosmerta.”

–Yes, I heard she caught you trying to smuggle bottles of Butterbeer out last time. Is that something you do a lot?”

–Well, you know.” He grinned cockily, but didn’t finish the sentence.

–Right,” Julie said, a look of annoyance clouding her eyes. There was an awkward silence as both realised that this date was going nowhere, but neither had the courage to admit it. –I see you around with that James Potter a lot.”

–Yeah, he’s my best mate. We’ve got into some insane situations! A couple of weeks ago, he was trying to get with a bird, and she wasn’t having any of it, so I go up to her and start playing these really cheesy lines. I even start insulting her. So then James comes up behind me and tells me to back off, and this bird’s so grateful that she lets him buy her a drink, and then … well, let’s just say the rest is between the two of them.”

Sirius grinned at the memory, and drained his Butterbeer. He looked up at Julie, a fifth year Ravenclaw student he’d had an eye on for a while. She didn’t seem too pleased.

–And there was this other time when a pathetic third year girl was chasing after me, and James went all crazy on her, saying that she’d better not come near me or else he’d get her. Told her that he was in love with me! Can you believe it? It was insane! I think he even made her cry!”

Julie, who had just picked up her goblet of Butterbeer, set it down on the table firmly without drinking from it. –Do you think that’s funny? Picking on third years? Don’t you have an ounce of dignity? It doesn’t seem like you respect women at all! You haven’t asked me a thing about myself in the past half an hour, and all you’ve been talking about is your bloody friend James and how you two pick up girls! Do you think I want to hear that?”

She looked at him demandingly. –Well, what was I supposed to do?” he flustered. –They’re funny stories, I thought you’d laugh!”

–Despicable, that’s what you are!” Julie cried, and picked up her bag to leave.

–Wait, where are you going, Babe? We’re not finished!”

–Finish this!” Julie grabbed hold of her goblet and chucked the remaining liquid in his face. –I am not your ‘Babe’.”

She stormed out of the pub leaving Sirius shocked and soaking, his curly dark hair slopped over his forehead, and Butterbeer dripping from his eyelashes.

–Again, Sirius?”

He looked up, and saw Madam Rosmerta standing over him, arms folded, and a look of despair mingled with amusement on her face. He would like to have said that he didn’t know what she was talking about, or answer with a cheeky retort, but all his faked arrogance had been washed away with the Butterbeer. He glumly met her eyes, and shrugged his shoulders in an attempt at nonchalance.

Rosmerta looked hastily around at the slowly emptying pub. It was getting later in the day, and the Hogwarts students were beginning to drift back to the castle. She pulled back a chair and sat down opposite him. –You know, that’s the third time I’ve seen you with someone else’s drink all over you. Honestly, I can’t imagine what you’re doing so wrong, but you seem to be repelling them left, right and centre.” Sirius nodded in agreement, but said nothing.

–I know I probably seem ancient to you, but I do remember being sixteen.” Sirius snorted at this: not because he didn’t think she could remember being his age, but at the idea that she would seem ancient to him. She could only be about thirty, and she was a lot better looking that many of the girls in his year.

–If you want my honest opinion,” she continued, –you’re trying too hard. You’re a nice enough bloke. You wind me up all the time, but you’re naturally funny. Why don’t you just be yourself?”

Sirius sighed. –I dunno. I just clam up. I’m fine helping James out, but when it comes to me, I just can’t do it.”

He stared into his Butterbeer, but didn’t touch it. He’d had enough of the stuff. What he’d said was true enough. He loved helping his mates out, and there was nothing funnier than working out elaborate ways to persuade girls to go on dates with them, but when it was just him and a girl, he couldn’t do it. He didn’t know why or where it came from, but this inner over-confident idiot came out as soon as he was alone with them. Just now, for instance, he’d called Julie –babe”. He’d never used the word in his life before then. And it was things like that that got him those all-too-frequent baths of Butterbeer.

Madam Rosmerta was looking at him pensively. –It seems to me that you need some help.”

–There’s no way I’m asking James for help. I am not sinking that low!”

–I didn’t mean James. You need someone on the other side. A girl. Someone who knows what they want.”

–How am I going to get one to help me? They all think I’m an arrogant toe-rag!”

–The girls at Hogwarts, maybe. But not me.”

–You?”

–Why not? I’m a woman. I know what we like and how we
want to be treated. I could coach you in the ways of women.”

–You’d do that for me? Why?”

–Well, I won’t be doing it for nothing. I’m sure I can think of something that you can do for me in return …”

***


–Have you seen the homework Flitwick set us? Thirty inches on the effects of miscalculated Memory Charms. What is there to write about? Slip of the tongue and they forget everything. The end.” James was not in a good mood. He slumped down onto one of the comfy sofas near the fire in the Gryffindor common room after shooing a couple of first years away. –I thought sixth year was going to be easy!”

–Yeah, so did I!” chipped in Peter. –What with all the free periods, I thought we’d have loads of time.”

–Come off it, Wormtail, it’s not like you’re studying difficult subjects this year. What are you doing, Care of Magical Creatures, Divination and Herbology? Not exactly taxing stuff, is it?”

Peter opened his mouth object, but at that moment, Sirius joined them and sat down next to Remus without saying anything.

–Alright, Padfoot? How’s it going?” asked James.

Sirius didn’t hear him. –When’s the next Hogsmeade weekend?”

–Couple of weeks, I think,” said Remus. –Why?”

–Oh, no reason,” Sirius said vaguely, rifling through his bag to find a piece of parchment. –I’m going to the Owlery.”

–You only just got here!” protested James, but Sirius was already climbing out of the portrait hole. He watched his best friend wander dreamily out of the portrait hole. Something wasn’t right. He had been acting strangely for the past couple of weeks, and had spent nearly all of his time alone or in the Owlery. –Have you two noticed anything strange about Padfoot recently?” he burst out.

–Strange?” repeated Peter, confused.

–Yeah. He’s acting odd.”

–I haven’t noticed anything.”

–He’s just been very quiet. Not his usual self.”

–I was thinking that the other day,” said Remus. –You’d said something funny, and he didn’t even notice. It was like he wasn’t even there.”

–Exactly!” cried James. –Half the time I don’t think he knows what’s going on. McGonagall gave him detention the other day because he never handed in his homework and he barely seemed to care. Did you only just notice
this the other day?”

–Yeah, I did. But I think he’s been acting like this for a few weeks now. He wasn’t even really into it when we … went out … last month.”

–Well, I don’t know what you’re talking about,” said Peter. –I haven’t noticed anything.”

–That’s because you never notice anything, Wormtail!” retorted James. He was silent for a bit, considering whether or not he should confide his theory to the others. –I did have an idea … don’t know how good it is.”

–What is it?” asked Remus.

–Well, you know he’s spending all this time in the Owlery?”

–Yeah.”

–And he’s kind of walking around all dazed and unfocused? Well, I wondered whether he’s, you know, got someone.”

–A girl?” asked Remus.

–Well I didn’t mean a guy, did I?”

–So … so you think he’s got a girlfriend?” asked Peter slowly.

–Maybe.”

–But what’s the Owlery got to do with anything?”

–Well she obviously doesn’t go to Hogwarts, does she?”

–How would he have met her if she doesn’t go to Hogwarts?” asked Remus, cynically.

–I dunno, on the last Hogsmeade trip? It’s not only Hogwarts students who go there.”

–I don’t know …” began Remus.

–Have either of you got any better ideas?”

–Maybe his mum’s ill, and he’s writing to her,” suggested
Peter.

–Don’t be an idiot, he hates his mum. Can’t imagine why; charming woman!”

–You’re right, I can’t think of any other reason,” said Remus. –But why are you so bothered?”

–He’s our friend! We have a right to know what he’s not telling us! Especially if it’s a girl.”

–So, what, are you just going to start tailing him everywhere he goes to find out?” asked Remus, half-joking.

James stared at him for a moment. –You know what, that’s not a bad idea.”

–Ok, I didn’t actually mean you should follow him. If he doesn’t want to tell us, then that’s his business.”

–But you don’t mind now that we know about your furry little problem, do you?”

–No, but that’s different. You still shouldn’t have found out about it; it’s dangerous every time you come with me.”

–Blah blah blah,” James droned, –heard it before. Listen, I’m going to find out what Padfoot’s up to, and if you two are too scared to come with me, then I’ll just do it alone.”
Peter and Remus looked at each other in resignation. –Fine,” said Remus. –We swear never to rest until we know exactly what our friend is up to. We shall never stray from our posts or get distracted from the task at hand. Now, I’m going to bed.”

Remus dumped all his half-finished homework in his bag, stretched, and climbed the stone staircase into the boys’ dormitory. Soon afterwards, Peter left as well, and James was left alone with his Charms homework. He pulled out a long stretch of blank parchment and scribbled down the title. He stared down at it, and read it again, wondering how to begin. His unfocused mind drifted away from memory charms, down the corridor and towards the Owlery. What was Sirius doing there? Although he had put forward a casual act in front of his friends, he was almost hurt that Sirius hadn’t confided in him.

The two of them had an unspoken agreement that they could tell each other anything - that is, as long as they accepted the teasing that would come with it - and James had long thought of him as a brother. So he couldn’t understand why Sirius hadn’t enlightened him. Just as he was thinking this, the portrait hole opened onto the emptying common room, and Sirius entered once more. –Have the others gone up already?” he asked.

–Yeah, they went about ten minutes ago.”

–Haven’t you started that essay yet?” Sirius demanded, gesturing at the still blank sheet of parchment. –You’re going to be up for ages at this rate!”

–Who were you writing to just now?” James said abruptly.

–What? Er, no one.”

–You just said you went to the Owlery.”

–Oh, yeah, er, I went to check on my owl.”

–You don’t have an owl …”

–Well there’s this school owl and-” Sirius broke off awkwardly and cleared his throat. –Anyway, I’m going to bed.” He turned and hurried up the stairs to the dormitory, evidently reluctant to answer any more questions.

Fine, thought James. If Sirius wasn’t going to tell him what was going on, he was just going to have to find out for himself.

***


The air had taken on an almost physical quality on the morning of the next Hogsmeade trip. Any exposed skin was attacked by thousands of tiny daggers which froze the veins underneath. James had been tempted not to get up, and to stay wrapped up warm in his four-poster bed, but could not ignore the importance of the day ahead of him. He had been watching Sirius closely the past couple of weeks, and had noted a continuance of his strange behaviour. He was still spending a lot of time in the Owlery, and had become even more subdued. He seemed to be watching people, observing what they were doing but never commenting on it. He had even stopped trying to impress girls.

James had decided that the only thing to do was to follow Sirius today, making sure never to lose track of where he was. It was the only thing he could count on now that might give him a clue. Sirius had repeatedly asked them if they were going, what time they would go, and what they were planning to do. It certainly seemed like he was up to something.

James had stuffed his Invisibility Cloak into his bag, got dressed and hurried down to the common room to meet the others. After breakfast they filed out with the rest of the students waiting to leave the castle, and now they were hurrying along the frozen path into the village. The wind whistled along the crowded lane and pink faces were buried into scarves. There was no snow yet, but it felt like there would be some by the end of the day.

–Anyone want a Butterbeer?” Remus suggested, calling out over the raging wind.

They all nodded in assent, and bundled their hands deeper into coat pockets as they walked as quickly as possible into Hogsmeade.

The warm air embraced them when they finally entered the Three Broomsticks. They stood by the door for a moment, thawing out, and then headed for the only free table right at the back of the pub. –I’ll get the drinks,” James said.

–No!” cried Sirius. –I mean, er, you sit down. You got the last ones, didn’t you? I’ll get them.”

–Ok,” began James, –shall I help you carry them to the table?”

–No, it’s fine. I’ll do it.”

Sirius turned and hurried to the bar, weaving his way in and out of people to get to the front. –That was strange,” said James.

–Oh, will you just drop it,” said Remus, sighing. –We’ve talked it over and over. If he really has got a secret girlfriend and isn’t telling us, it’s because she’s a banshee or something and he’s too embarrassed to come out with it.”

–Either that or she’s a Slytherin,” said Peter.

–I know … but I just don’t get why he won’t tell me. I’m
supposed to be his best friend.”

Remus and Peter exchanged glances. It had always been James and Sirius. They were the leaders of the group; they were always coming up with new ideas for adventures and mischief. The other two followed along, giving ideas when needed, but there had always been an air of superfluity about them. It was as though James and Sirius would have been fine without them and that they were simply an added bonus. It was clear that they were more than simply friends.

The three of them headed to the table, but James kept glancing back towards the bar. As they sat down in silence, he craned his neck to look for Sirius. –Honestly, you’re obsessed with him!” said Peter. –Go and talk to him if it bothers you that much.”

–Yeah …” said James, evidently not listening. Suddenly, he grabbed his bag and stuck his hand into it, looking for something. He pulled out the Invisibility Cloak. –I’m going to see what he’s doing. Maybe he’s supposed to meet the girl here.”

–You’re not going to eavesdrop, are you?”

–The only way, Remus,” James said, flashing his old grin at him.

–What about us?” complained Peter.

–We can’t all fit under here anymore, we’re too big. It’ll have to just be me.”

James gave a furtive look to check whether anyone was looking, and slipped the cloak over his head. Remus and Peter watched him vanish with looks of irritation, but he didn’t pay attention to them. He had more important things on his mind.

He squeezed between busy tables, trying not to brush against anyone, until he got to the bar. There was a small group of people clustered around one end, being served by a middle-aged man with wispy grey hair and slightly fogged-up glasses. On the other end of the bar were Madam Rosmerta and Sirius, but no glasses of Butterbeer were in sight. They had their heads bent together, and seemed to be deep in conversation. Rosmerta whispered something, and Sirius laughed loudly: louder than James had heard him laugh in a long time.

As he watched the two of them chatting together, joking and teasing each other, comprehension dawned on him. Sirius wasn’t … he couldn’t be … could he? James had never paid Madam Rosmerta much attention, but now he looked at her he realised how attractive she was. Her blonde ringlets cascaded merrily down her neck and perched on her shoulders. She had sparkling green eyes that shimmered as she laughed. They reminded him of Lily’s …

He shook himself, forcing his mind to focus on the matter at hand rather than the way Lily’s eyes lit up when something amused her. So Sirius was with Madam Rosmerta. Was ‘with’ the right word? What were they doing, exactly? And why on earth couldn’t Sirius tell him this? It wasn’t something to be embarrassed about: on the contrary, he’d earn the respect of most of the boys at Hogwarts.

A stir of movement brought him back to the present. Sirius had stood up, and Rosmerta was glancing down the bar, signalling to her colleague. She unhooked a cloak from the wall, put it around her shoulders, rounded the bar and joined Sirius. The two walked towards the door and left the pub.

James wasn’t going to let the opportunity slip by. Winding his way carefully through the bustle of people, he followed them. As he left the pub he saw them hurrying off down the main street. He followed them, his heart beating fast. He almost couldn’t believe what he was seeing. He knew Sirius had never been hugely successful with girls - they all seemed to idolise him until they actually went on a date with him - and he’d never imagined that he could capture a woman like Rosmerta.

The Cloak flapped around his ankles in the wind, and he had to crouch to stop it from exposing him. He walked briskly to keep up with them. He couldn’t hear what they were saying, but they appeared to still be in deep conversation. They walked far down the road before turning down a side street. There were less people about now, and he had to make sure he wasn’t making any noise. He was glad there was no snow, as there were no footprints to worry about. As they rounded the corner, James came to an abrupt stop. He had just seen a sign that made his stomach plummet. This was the street where Madam Puddifoot lived.

What had happened? Sirius had always been so unromantic, so brash in his attitude towards women. And suddenly he was whisking the barmaid of the Three Broomsticks off for a quiet, intimate afternoon together!

The two of them entered the tea rooms, huddling together to keep the cold out. James hurried after them, determined to follow them in there and find out what was going on between them. He squinted through the mullioned windows which were fogged up by condensation, making it difficult to see inside. If only he could get in there! But the door was firmly closed and he couldn’t very well open it whilst invisible. He pressed his face up against a glass pane, trying to see through the translucent glass. He saw two shapes taking seats at a cosy table in the corner, heads close together.

Just as he decided to take off the Cloak and stride in there to confront them, he heard footsteps behind him. It was a girl. He recognised her vaguely from Hogwarts. She swept past him and approached the door to Madam Puddifoot’s. This was his chance! He followed her, using his foot to catch the door and squeezing into the room after her. Madam Rosmerta was holding Sirius’s hand. That was it.

–AHA!” he cried, whirling his cloak off and appearing seemingly from nowhere. The entire room - which consisted only of four couples and Madam Puddifoot, a plump, frilly lady who radiated pink - stared in disbelief. Sirius’s face drained of colour.

–You!” James continued. –You and her! You’re seeing each other! I knew something was up!”

The girl who had come in before him looked at Sirius accusingly. –What? I thought we were supposed to be meeting up!”

–You’re seeing them both?” spluttered James.

–I’d heard things about you, Sirius,” said the girl. –But I was going to overlook them because you seemed to have changed. Apparently not!”

The four of them had the full attention of the habitants of the room. Sirius began to babble incoherently. James made out the words –Butterbeer”, –Rosmerta”, –embarrassed” and –help”, but could make out little else. Rosmerta patted Sirius’s hand, silencing him, and spoke instead.

–We’re not seeing each other. I’ve been helping him. James, you of all people know that Sirius rarely gets past a first date. I took pity on him and decided to teach him a few things.”

–Like what?” James demanded.

–Like how to treat women. Or how to stop trying to impress them and show them his real self.”

–So why’s he been acting all strange?”

–I’ve been teaching him how to pay attention to girls - how to listen rather than just talk at them.”

–So why are you here now,” asked the girl, looking annoyed.

–I was going to wait here until you came to give him a bit more advice.”

–What, so am I just some kind of experiment or something?”

–No!” cried Sirius, speaking properly for the first time. –I really do like you. But I just … never thought I’d have a chance with you before now. Rosmerta’s just helped me get here. Honestly.”

James was speechless. He hadn’t realised Sirius had been so insecure. –You could always have asked for my help, mate,” he said quietly. –I wouldn’t have laughed if I thought you were serious.”

–I was just too embarrassed. You’re always so cool about girls.”

–Me? Cool? I wouldn’t call liking the same girl for six years and still being despised by her ‘cool’!” James couldn’t believe Sirius thought he was better with girls. Sirius was the one who had them flocking after him, not James. James always had to try harder. Maybe it was because he was a bit arrogant like Lily had said. Maybe it was because they all knew how he felt about Lily. He didn’t exactly keep it a secret.

Sirius looked guilty. –Sorry for not telling you.”

–S’ok,” said James, suddenly embarrassed by the way he had burst in here and messed everything up. –I’ll, um … I’ll go back to the Three Broomsticks. Meet you there later?”

–Yeah.”

James sidled awkwardly out of the tearooms, his cheeks flushed and hot. He had been stupid after all. Sirius didn’t want to keep things from him because he didn’t trust him. He forgot sometimes that, underneath Sirius’s cool and confident demeanour, he wasn’t quite as self-assured as he seemed. Maybe it was the disappointment with which his family viewed him or simply a deep-set insecurity that had cut chinks in his armour, but it made James respect him even more.

No matter what happened in their lives he knew they’d stay friends until they grew old and died, not that that would ever happen to them. He couldn’t imagine them as old men. In James’s mind they stayed young together, Remus and Peter with them. The four Marauders sticking together through anything. Nothing could stop them.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=91663