Awry by Liet Dumbledore, Kaitlyn Snape
Summary: At the end of sixth year, Lily hates Severus. She can never forgive him for that one word, no matter how careless. And so, when she goes home, Lily spends only a short time in her neighborhood before joining Mary in Godric’s Hollow.

At the end of sixth year, James loves Lily. She is his life. He lives to see her each and every day. And so, when he goes home, James is looking for a new way to win her heart in the coming year. Remus comes over, and the two hatch a plan.

At the end of sixth year, everything is as usual.

At the beginning of seventh year, everything has changed.
Categories: James/Lily Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 7824 Read: 17727 Published: 06/23/12 Updated: 07/23/14

1. You Are Everything by Liet Dumbledore

2. Deleteriousness by Liet Dumbledore

3. Concocting Alliances by Kaitlyn Snape

4. Deception by Liet Dumbledore

5. Tergiversation by Kaitlyn Snape

6. Prevaricator by Kaitlyn Snape

You Are Everything by Liet Dumbledore
Author's Notes:
We know this starts out like any other Lily/James stories, but we promise you- it's different.
---

James was running across the grounds as though his life depended on it when he bumped Mary.

–You okay?” He sounded concerned. But he had to get along with her for Lily’s sake. So Mary decided not to be friendly back. He didn’t deserve it. He didn't deserve Lily. That manipulative, careless-

–Yeah, fine. You?”

–Yep.” James started to walk away when he realized something. –Mary? Do you know where Lily is?” Mary shook her head no, rolling her eyes when he looked behind her to see if Lily was hiding. –I can’t find her, but I bet you can. When you see her, just make sure she is okay. Thanks!”

Once James was far enough away that he couldn’t hear, Mary muttered irritably, –And why should I help you?”

---

Mary found Lily asleep on the window seat in their dormitory. There were tears on Lily’s cheeks, and Mary wiped them away, stroking her hair gently. Then she moved Lily to her bed before pulling the curtains shut. With a determined expression, she walked down the stair to go find James Potter, and make him regret the day he caught sight of Lily. Because this had to be his fault - it always was. Before she could take more than one step out of the Gryffindor common room, Severus stopped her.

–Mary, where is Lily? I need to talk to her.” Honestly, boys were all the same. Asking the girl’s best friend to find her for them. And while she didn’t particularly like Severus, he was Lily’s friend, and she would do anything for Lily.

–She doesn’t want to talk right now.” Mary shifted from foot to foot, impatient for this conversation to be over.

–Tell her I need to talk to her.” Severus really was persistent, wasn’t he?

–Okay,” Mary replied before heading to the library. She worked on her Charms essay for an hour before returning to Gryffindor Tower.

–Severus, what are you doing here still?” I don’t want to talk to you again, Mary thought.

–Waiting for Lily.” Why wouldn’t Severus meet her eyes?

–Did she talk to you?” Severus was a good friend of Lily’s, and Lily never stayed in the dorm for more than an hour.

–Nope.” He sounded really guilty. Mary entered the tower, confused about why he wanted to see her so bad.

---

Lily awoke on her bed. She sat up slowly, carefully, thinking about what had happened. Mudblood, she thought.

–Hey, Lily,” Mary said as she walked into the room.

–Hey, Mary.” Lily realized how awful she sounded - how long had she been asleep?

–Severus is outside the common room. He wants to talk to you.” Lily whipped her head around to stare at Mary in disbelief.

–He has the nerve to say that?” Lily exclaimed. Mary looked at Lily, confusion on her face. –Mudblood. He called me a Mudblood.” Lily looked down at her hands, tears forming in the corners of her eyes. Mary comforted her, and then began to put her things away.

–Crap. Lily, I forgot my Potions book in the library. I’ll be right back.” Mary left the room, leaving Lily to her confused and upset thoughts.

---

Mary hurried to the library. She wanted to make it back to the dormitory before curfew. She found her Potions right where she left it and hurried back to the dormitory. Lily needed to be comforted more, and Mary needed to get to their dormitory before the other two girls did.

–Mary!” Who was looking for her at this time of day?

–What?” Mary turned around to look at Severus in exasperation. He was still outside the portrait hole.

–Tell Lily-” Mary wasn’t listening any more.

–She’s mad at you. Really mad.” Mary started to enter the common room.

–I’ll sleep here if she doesn’t come talk to me.”

–Fine. I’ll tell her that.” But sleeping here wouldn’t be the wisest idea, he would get caught in less than an hour and given detention, or a good hexing, depending on who found him, Mary thought.

---

–Lily, Severus wants to talk to you still.”

–No. I won’t talk to him. I’ll never talk to him. Ever again.”

–Fine. He also wants me to tell you...” Mary paused. –He wants me to tell you that he’s going to sleep outside the portrait hole if you don’t talk to him,” she relayed in one breath. Lily sighed, exasperated.

–I guess I better. Before Potter and his gang find him there. Even though I hate him, I hate Potter more.” Lily stood up and left the dormitory.

---

Snape looked at the portrait hole as it swung open. Ahead stuck out, but it wasn’t just any head. –Lily-”

–What?” She glared at him.

–I’m sorry.” Yeah, right.

---

James heard Lily’s voice around the corner.

–Hey Padfoot, I- um, I have to go to the.....” I have to, you know, go see Lily to confess my undying love to her again?

–The what? Do you have to go to the loo or something?” Sirius was watching him with amusement.

–Uh, yeah.” James blushed. –Wait, no! I have to go to the kitchen.”

–Ok.... do you need any help?”

–NO! I mean, no, Padfoot, I am a big boy.”

–Fine Prongs. Grab me a chocolate pastry. No, make that a cake. With lots of chocolate frosting. Yeah.” He can totally tell that I’m not going to the kitchen. He knows me too well.

James waved off the request and turned to leave. He approached Lily, but froze when he heard Snape’s voice- the slimy coward.

---

–No--listen, I didnt mean--”

–--to call me Mudblood? But you call everyone of my birth Mudblood, Severus. why should I be any different?” Severus watched as Lily turned her back and re-entered her common room. A tear slowly began falling down his cheek. She was gone. He would never have a friend in Lily again. Never. She hated him, and he knew it. Lily was gone. There was nothing he could do about it.

–I love you, Lily,” Severus whispered. Then he turned to go to bed.

---

Breakfast the next day was torture. Lily sat with her back to Severus, facing Potter, of all people. And to make matters worse, she was laughing. Severus hated himself. He could never forgive himself for letting slip that one word. He deserved to die.

---

Lily avoided Severus for the rest of the school year. It was hard. A lot harder than she thought. But she need only think of that one word, and it was instantly easy. On the train ride home, Lily sat with Mary and Brianna. Severus tried to talk to her, but she ignored him.

---

–Bye, Lily!” Mary was clearly about to cry, being the drama queen she was, but Lily loved her all the more because of it. How could she live without her over-emotional and gossipy friend?

–Bye, Mary! I’ll miss you!”

–I promise I’ll have you come visit this summer.” I’ll need that, for a relief from Petunia.

–Sounds good. I can’t wait!” The two friends gave each other one last hug before going with their parents.

Lily was excited to get home and talk to her parents again. But she would have to face Petunia again, and there would be no one to prevent Severus from talking to her. It was going to be a long summer. She was already counting down the days until she could return to Hogwarts.
Deleteriousness by Liet Dumbledore
Author's Notes:
Mary and Remus sitting in a tree..... being mischievous.
---

–Welcome home, James.” James smiled as his mom came over and gave him a hug. –I missed you during the school year.”

–I missed you too, Mom.” James looked the living room. –What’s for dinner? Sirius wants to come over if it’s something good.”

–Always got food on the mind, don’t you. Well, I was thinking we would have a good meal. Start with some chicken noodle soup, then have some rice and beans, rolls, and chicken, and then have marble cheesecake for dessert. Will Sirius be coming?”

–Yep. And so will Remus. Thanks!” James rushed off to his room.

---

Lily set her suitcase on her bed. Slowly, she breathed in her favorite smell- the smell of home. There was nothing like being home, even if it meant she had to put up with Petunia. After all, she would finally get to sleep in her bed.

–Lily, would you like spaghetti or pasta salad for dinner?”

–Both sound lovely, Mum.”

–All right then. Pasta salad it is.” Lily smiled. It was good to be home.

---

James lay on his bed. The lights were out in the house. Sirius had left first. Then Remus and James had started talking. James began playing the conversation over in his head.

*

–James, you still love Lily, right?”

–Yeah. So? She’ll never like me. Ever.”

–Well, I have a plan.”

–I’m rather fond of plans. Does it involve love potions? A love spell? Forcing her to go on a date with me?”

–No, Prongs. It’s something that we’ve actually tried before. Act like you are over Lily.”

–Moony, you know that won’t work. I’ve tried before. She just hates me more.”

–It’ll work this time. You have to really act like you are over her. Like, so much over her that you got yourself a girlfriend.” James looked at Remus in disbelief.

–We’ve tried that before too.”

–Yeah, but last time you had a girlfriend for two weeks. What if you had a girlfriend for, say, six months? Do you think that would work on her?”

–Wait. So you mean I have to find a girl, pretend to be in love with her for six months, and then dump her and go out with Lily? Six months? I don’t know if I can do this.”

–Just try, Prongs. Just try.”

*

That last sentence rolled over in his mind, again and again. He had to at least try. Then, maybe, he could get a date with Lily. James fell asleep, slowly, thinking about how he would finally get Lily to love him back.

---

–Petunia, give it back!” Lily ran out of her room and into her sister’s. –It’s not yours!”

–No! You shouldn’t have it. You have no right scratching away in the middle of the night, so it’s mine now.” Petunia turned her back on her sister defiantly.

"Mum!" Lily shouted as she turned towards the stairs. "Petunia took my ink and my favorite quill!"

"Lily, just use a pen for once."

"But Mum-" Lily paused. There was no point in arguing. She knew she would get her things back as soon as Mary's letter arrived.

---

That night, Lily lay in her bed thinking about Petunia. Oh, how her sister annoyed her! At least she's not as bad as James. And I won't have to put up with that idiot for the whole summer, she thought.

---

School had been out for two weeks. Lily was sick of Petunia. James was sick of not seeing Lily. Severus was sick of being ignored. Sirius was sick of not having people to prank. Everyone was bored, and ready for a change. And that's when the changes began.

---

Lily opened her window to let in Mary's owl.


Dear Lily,
I got permission for you to come. Bring your stuff, because you are spending the test of summer here. My parents are going to come over to apparate you here tomorrow morning. See you!
Mary



"Mum, Mary invited me over for the rest of the summer. Can I go?" Lily called down the stairs.

"Sure thing, darling. We'll miss you. Will you write?" Of course Mum said yes, she knows how Petunia aggravates me.

"Of course, Mum." Lily ran back up to her room, hardly able to contain her excitement.

---

"Mum, Remus wants to come spend the rest of the summer here. He'll go home for the full moons." Like that needs explaining.

"Sounds fine. When is he arriving?"

"Tomorrow morning." The earlier, the better.

"Okay, James." James hurried upstairs to send his owl to Remus. They could spend the entire summer together. James would finally have a chance with Lily.

---

Mary looked at Remus's letter. They had been writing back and forth since school had gotten out. They were determined to get Lily and James together. She read it over again, then took out her quill to write a response.


Remus-
Sounds good. Lily is coming down to Godric's Hollow to stay with me. She'll be here the rest of the summer. I'm going to work on her. You work on James. Don't let James find out that she's coming. Lily will know that James is here.
Mary



Mary reread the letter, then folded and sealed it. She wrote his name on the front. As she did, she pictured his eyes, lighting up as they always did when he got a brilliant idea, his handwriting messy as he hurried to reply, his- Focus. This is about Lily and James, not you and Remus. Besides, he thinks of you as a study partner, and will never in a million years like you.
End Notes:
Let us know what you think, and any predictions for the next chapter. :)
Concocting Alliances by Kaitlyn Snape
Lily grabbed her trunk and looked at the clock on the wall. –9:58,” she muttered. –Two more minutes.” Two more minutes until Mary’s parents would arrive to take her to Mary’s home. Two more minutes of dealing with Petunia until Christmas. Two more minutes of avoiding Severus until September.

Lily checked her bags one last time. She hadn't forgotten anything, so she walked to the kitchen.

"Bye, Mum. Bye, Dad. Bye, Petunia." Lily gave each member of her family a hug before walking back to her things and waiting, watching out the front window like she did when she was a little girl.

A crack resounded and Lily smiled. She picked up her bags and said goodbye to her family one last time. The door opened, and Lily stepped outside.

–Ready, Lily?”

–Yes, Mr. McDonald.” Lily placed one hand on Mary’s father’s arm.

–Well then, here we go!” Lily and Mary’s father and mother Apparated. The familiar squeezing encompassed Lily for a moment, but passed as soon as they landed in front of Mary’s home. –Go on in, Lily. We want to say hello to the neighbors for a moment.” Lily nodded and ran to the front door. Mary pulled it open and pulled Lily inside, quickly shutting the door. The two best friends enjoyed a hug, then began transporting Lily’s trunks to the guest room. Lily started to unpack her trunks, but Mary grabbed her arm.

–Lils, that’s boring. Let’s do something more... exciting.” Mary raised her eyebrows a bit at the end of her sentence, sending Lily into laughter.

–Oh, all right, Mare. What do you want to do?”

–Well, do you know who lives here in Godric’s Hollow with me?”Lily shook her head. –Then you are about to find out.” Mary pulled Lily into Mary’s room and to the window. –Look. In the backyard, about four houses down.” Lily squinted into the distance, then turned to Mary with wide eyes.

–Is that...”

–James? You bet.”

–And you didn’t tell me? Mare, you know how much I despise that arrogant-”

–Yes, Lils, but look at who’s with him.” Lily looked out the window again before turning back to her friend.

–I suppose you want me to help you get hooked up with Remus.”

–Yeah, more or less.”

–What do you mean ‘more or less’?”

–Um... I’ll tell you later.” The two friends looked at each other and giggled. Both knew it was impossible to keep a secret from the other, but what Lily didn’t know was that Mary’s secret was more than just a secret. It had a motive. There was a reason, and not something silly. After all, true love doesn’t happen every day.

---

–So, what’s step one?” James asked Remus. Remus looked at a window a few houses down before answering.

–Get over Lily. That’s step one.”

–What? How am I supposed to do that? Isn’t the point of this to get me a date with Lily?”

–Yes, Prongs. But remember the plan? You have to fall in love with a different girl. And I think we should start with you, well, falling in love with someone else.”

–But Lily’s not even here. Why do I have to start now? Can’t I just get a new girlfriend a couple days before school starts and say we’ve been together since the beginning of the summer?”

–That’s what I think the problem was. I think you need to really convince Lily, and, in order to do that, you need to have gone through the motions of forgetting that you love Lily. Don’t actually forget, though. Got it?”

–Yeah.” James closed his eyes and took a deep breath. Focus. Focus, focus, focus. I can do this. I will forget Lily, and fall in love with a different girl. –Moony, I can ‘fall in love’ with Alexandra Prince! She lives about three houses over and is a nice girl. I think she’ll be a sixth year this year, so there’s no way Lily will be super attached to the girl. That way friendships won’t get in the way.”

–Brilliant, Prongs!” Moony exclaimed. –Now we just have to start. What are your thoughts on strolls through the park?”

–Good idea.”

--

Lily sat on the window seat and looked out over Godric’s Hollow. It was one of few neighborhoods in England that consisted of mostly wizards, and the place felt magical to her. The place didn’t feel magical because of actual spells, however. There was something else magical about Godric’s Hollow, but Lily couldn’t quite identify it.

--

Mary looked down at the note from Remus. So far, so good. James was convinced. Lily was... not exactly convinced, but she was more accepting. This summer would be great. Mary scribbled a quick reply, and then sent the owl out the window and back to Remus.

--

As James lay in bed, he couldn’t help thinking about Lily. He could see her in his mind. The way her eyes glowed when she had an idea, her hair falling down her back when she was writing, her enthusiasm while learning something new, her determination to always get it right. But he had to think beyond Lily, now. It was just so hard.

--

Remus opened the window to let in Mary’s owl. As he read her reply, his smile grew. They were going to do it this year. James would come back to school a better person, and Lily would come back to school with a more relaxed attitude toward James. Everything would be perfect. And there would be no Sirius to talk James out of things this summer, either. Nothing would go wrong. Nothing could go wrong.
End Notes:
Is Remus right, or will things go horribly wrong?
Deception by Liet Dumbledore
Mary woke up and looked out her window. Remus and James were in the yard again. They appeared to be arguing, and Mary could almost hear their voices.

--

–James, you’re insane.”

–No, I’m not! This is really the best way to start my relationship with Alexandra!”

–But James, I thought you said that they are going to France for the summer. And you think she would choose to spend the summer with some guy rather than go to France with her family?”

–Yes, Remus, I do. Have you ever seen her at school? She’s always got at least two guys beside her. And different guys every week!” James jumped up from his chair and started pacing around the pond. –She’ll jump at the chance to spend the whole summer with an older guy, definitely two. Besides, Mum already agreed to have her come.”

Remus thought for a minute. –You do realize, don’t you, that she isn’t exactly the type of girl who will stay with you, and I bet she will be going behind your back with some other guy the whole time.”

–Exactly! When she breaks my heart, Lily will feel so bad for me that she will have to go out with me.” James’ hair was more disobedient than it was when he finished a Quidditch match, which Remus had previously thought was impossible.

–I could never see Lily dating you because you got dumped, instead of the other way around. She will be more likely to congratulate Alexandra on ending the relationship with ‘a fat-headed git who has never looked past the girl who is unlucky enough to be snogging him.’”

–Please. When would she ever say that?”

–She did the last time you asked her out. Which was, might I add,” Remus checked his watch, –eight days, three hours, twenty-six minutes, and thirty-two seconds ago. And by the way, that’s a new record for The Longest Time James Potter Has Ever Gone Without Asking Lily Evans To Go Out With Him Since The End Of Fourth Year.” James laughed and pushed Remus out of his chair. In retaliation, Remus pushed James into the pond.

--

Lily stuck her head into Mary's room. Mary was on the window seat, gazing into the distance. Quietly, Lily tiptoed over to the window and positioned herself directly behind Mary.

–Imagining Remus shirtless, are you?”

"Oh my goodness Lils! You scared me to death." The two friends smiled at each other, then Mary pointed out the window.

"It looks like they are arguing," Mary commented.

"Yeah." Lily looked down at the two figures. Remus was himself, but James' hair was much more ruffled than usual, making him look a good deal attractive- Whoa, Lily. No. James is most definitely not attractive. He was probably just trying too hard to form an intelligent thought in that walnut-sized brain of his. Lily looked down at James and Remus, who were still arguing.

"Come on, Mary. Lets go eat breakfast." The two girls walked downstairs, both wearing mismatched pajamas. Mary whispered something into Lily’s ear, and both girls began giggling. It was going to be a great summer for both of them.

--

James stepped out of the shower. He still smelled a bit like the pond, thanks to Remus. Alexandra was coming over in three hours, and James wanted to be perfect when she got there. He pulled on his nice jeans and a button-down shirt. After brushing his teeth and forcing his hair to lie somewhat flat, he began to clean his room. By the time the doorbell rang, James’ room was cleaner than it had been in the last several years. Alexandra would love him.

--

–Hey, Alexandra,” Remus said, taking a suitcase from her.

–Hey, Remus. I thought this was James’ house?” she asked, with a puzzled look.

–Yeah, it is. I’m just spending some time here this summer. We’ve been studying for school and stuff.”

–Oh, okay.” Alexandra smiled. James, upon hearing the voices, stepped out of his bedroom and towards the stairs.

–Hello, Alexandra.” He quickly walked down the stairs to where she was standing. –I can take your bags, if you’d like. You’ll be staying in our guest room, right this way.” With each of the boys holding two bags and Alexandra dragging a third, the trio made their way up the stairs and into one of the empty bedrooms. James and Remus set Alexandra’s bags down by the bedroom door.

–James, I just forgot. We left the pie in the oven. I’ll go get it out, and you show her around.” Remus winked at James as he left the room and headed downstairs toward the kitchen.

–So, Alexandra-”

–Please, call me Alex.”

–All right, Alex. This is your bedroom for your stay here. There’s a bathroom in this door and a closet through this door. Feel free to make yourself at home.” James proceeded to show Alexandra the other five bedrooms on the top floor, including his and Remus’, before heading down the stairs. –Here’s the kitchen, and- oh! Hello Remus. Is the pie ready?”

–It is. Would you care for a piece, Alexandra?”

–Yes, please.” Remus carefully cut the pie, placing a piece on each of three plates. The trio ate their pie slowly, talking about their plans for the summer and the upcoming school year.

--

Mary jumped onto Lily’s bed. The two girls were in the middle of an ‘argument’ over James. Lily was still insisting he was arrogant, big-headed, and had ugly hair, but her insults were a little toned down compared to usual. There was hope.

–Come on, Lils. Let’s just go spy. Just once.”

–No! He’s still just as arrogant and big-headed as before. I won’t spy on anyone like that.”

–Fine. But have you seen him with his shirt off?”

–Mary!” Lily picked up a nearby pillow and threw it at her friend. –No! And never! I don’t care about Potter and I never will!”

–Lily, Lily, Lily. Don’t be so hard on James. He isn’t as awful as you think. Give him a chance. He might turn out to be a nice guy with too much of a sense of humor. You never know.” Mary looked at Lily with a I know better than you so listen to me expression on her face. After about two seconds, Lily burst out laughing.

–Nice? Please tell me you didn’t use that word in the same sentence as James unless you were being sarcastic. There is no way. He is conceited and arrogant and will never change.” Lily stood up and walked into the bathroom. Mary rolled her eyes and followed Lily.

–Fine. He’s conceited and arrogant. But he might change, you never know. Come on, let’s give it a shot. Tomorrow?” Mary looked at Lily pleadingly. –Please, Lils?”

–Maybe just once. But not for James. For you.” With that, Mary smiled and walked out of the room and off to bed.

--

Alex tapped the counter absentmindedly. His house has got to be the biggest one in Godric’s Hollow. And he is cute, too. Not nearly as cute as Josh, but definitely dateworthy. With a start, Alex realized the other boy had said something to her. What was his name? Remus. Right. He is nowhere near as cute as James. But he will do.

–Sorry, what was that?” Alex looked at Remus.

–Are you coming swimming with us tomorrow?”

–Sure.” As long as I can see James shirtless. In her head, Alex was smirking.
Tergiversation by Kaitlyn Snape
Author's Notes:
Here it is, chapter 5! Sorry for the long wait. There was school, and then summer where we were both gone, and then school again, but we are finally done!
Alex jumped into the pool. The cool water felt good after spending some good time tanning in the sun. James and Remus were on the other end of the pool, doing who knows what. It looked like they were playing some sort of game, but she hadn’t the faintest idea what it could be.

--

Lily looked around the kitchen. Come on, Mary , she thought. Mary was taking forever, and Lily was ready to go swimming. Finally the brunette came into the kitchen, two beach towels in hand. Lily grabbed one and, slipping her feet into her flip-flops, started out the door. Mary followed. The two girls laughed as they talked and walked towards the neighborhood swimming pool. Mary seemed a bit nervous, and Lily was starting to wonder why by the time they reached the pool. As they arrived, Mary handed Lily her things.

–I, uh, have to go to the bathroom. I’ll be there in a second.” Mary headed towards the bathrooms, leaving Lily standing by the gate alone. Lily shrugged and opened the door. Carefully, she walked to a pair of lawn chairs and set her things down. After slipping off her flip-flops, Lily jumped into the pool and began swimming lazily. I love this... just relaxing. I never do this anymore. Lily began floating on her back, thinking about the last time she had actually been relaxed before she came to Mary’s. I think the last time was Hogsmeade, which was three months before the end of the year because I was so busy with homework. I never really get a break. Slightly disturbed with the idea of her lack of relaxation in the future, she vowed to take it easier this year. I will go to Hogsmeade every chance I get. Unless I am too busy, or have too much homework, or if I need to do something with Prefect duty. With an irritated sigh, she accepted the fact that she was going to have to let Mary tell her when to take a break, and actually listen.

--

–Remus, bet you can’t catch this!”James grabbed one of the toy balls and threw it at Remus. Remus jumped up, barely catching it. Then he threw it back at James, harder. Back and forth, back and forth. Remus reached up again, and the ball barely flew over his fingertips. Remus immediately turned and dove into the pool. While swimming, he noticed another figure underwater. Remus surfaced and looked closer. Alex was by James, talking to him. And the figure had red hair. Bright red hair. Crap, Remus thought. Lily was here, and James would completely blow it.

–Time to go, Prongs!” Remus quickly closed the distance between himself and his best friend.

–We just got here! It’s not fair! Remus!” whined James, sounding very much like a three year old.

–What if we come back later today? But I think I forgot to finish my, um, treacle tart,” lied Remus, knowing how much James loved desserts.

–All right, fine, Moony,” James consented. –We can go, but only if we come back later.” Remus breathed deeply, thankful that James had agreed to leave. Now we just have to get out of here without Lily seeing us or James seeing Lily.

--

–I’m back, Lily!” Mary stepped out of the bathroom and joined Lily in the water. Thankfully, James and Remus had left, as had Alexandra, but Lily looked upset about something. –What’s up?”

–I can’t keep doing this,” Lily admitted.

–Doing what?” Has she finally come to terms with the fact that she is desperately in love with James Potter? Mary smiled devilishly at the thought.

–Being so stressed all the time. I never do anything for fun anymore. I have been more relaxed at your house than I have been for the past four months. I am always doing a project, or helping someone with something I don’t actually care about, or just thinking about James Potter.” Did I just admit that I think about him all the time? What? No, I don’t. He just worries me. Not that I’m worried about him. I just worried about what he will do. To me, that is. Something bad. Like copy off my essay. Or distract me during Potions. Not that he can do that during summer. So why do I always think about him? –I don’t!”

–Okay Lily, we don’t have to make cookies then. What do you want to do instead?” Mary looked at her, confused at her outburst.

–Lay here for five billion years.”

The two best friends splashed around until lunch time, when they climbed out, dried off, and went home.

--

James was sitting on his bed with Remus. The two were in a very deep conversation, and Alex couldn’t tell what they were talking about. She was crouched on the stairs peeking at them, wishing they would talk louder and stop whispering. Alex crept closer, trying to catch what they were talking about. She was pretty sure they were talking about her, and she really wanted to know what they were saying.

--

–James, I think she’s a nice girl. I mean, what has she done?”

–I don’t know, Remus. I just don’t have a good feeling about this. Something just seems off. Like, really off.”

–Come on, what could possibly go wrong? All you’re going to do is spend summer and a few months of the school year with her. Then you can have a mildly dramatic break-up, be completely heart-broken for a week, and then get together with Lily. Then you and Lily can have your happily ever after for time and all eternity and Padfoot and Wormtail and I will sit on the sidelines and mournfully watch as you become her slave.”

–Moony! That’s not going to happen, and you know it.”

– I know! Just teasing, gosh. Don’t be such a girl.”

–All right, fine.” The two boys began having a much louder conversation about the new broomsticks and which Quidditch team had the best chance this year. It was going to be a great summer.

--

Alex had moved to her bedroom, which was way too far from the boys’ rooms, in her opinion. She was sitting on her bed.

I suppose summer won’t be too bad, she thought. Maybe I can even go back to Hogwarts in the fall with a new boyfriend, and a seventh year at that!

Alex got up from her bed and picked up her new book, taking it downstairs with her. Mrs. Potter was in the kitchen, baking a pie, and James and Remus had moved to the living room. She walked into the living room and said hello before curling up in an armchair with her book. Maybe James likes sophisticated girls who enjoy reading. Then she began reading and was instantly lost in an imaginary world.

--

Mary and Lily were outside in the backyard, staring up at the stars. All Mary could think about was how romantic it would be if Remus was there, next to her. Their hands would slowly slip together, and then he would brush her hair out of her eyes and softly kiss her forehead.

On the other hand, all Lily could think about was how wonderful this summer would be. Maybe if James was next door to her, he wouldn’t be acting like such an arrogant boy. Maybe he would come back to Hogwarts no longer acting like a child. And maybe, just maybe, she would say yes when he asked her to Hogsmeade.

Mary turned and looked at her best friend. Lily was smiling slightly. –Who are you thinking about?” Mary immediately asked.

–What?” Lily startled. –Oh, uh, no one. I was just thinking about how much fun today was.” Lily turned back to the sky.

–Really? Because that grin was definitely worthy of Monsieur James.” Mary smirked. Lily just lay there, staring at the sky. I wish it was lighter, but only because Lily is probably blushing right now.

--

James was laying on his bed, staring up at the stars enchanted on his ceiling. It was a difficult charm, similar to the one at Hogwarts. As he pondered the various constellations, he started thinking about Lily. As he did, James realized something. Alex wasn’t very different from Lily. They were both pretty girls, although Lily was prettier, and they were both nice. The only thing was Alex was here, at his house, spending time with him, and Lily wasn’t. She was somewhere else in the world, not with him, and hating him. Maybe Alex isn’t so bad after all, James thought. Maybe being with her for a while won’t be as bad as I thought.
End Notes:
~~~~

Please let us know what you think!! It really motivates us to work on the next chapter ;)
Prevaricator by Kaitlyn Snape
"James, where the heck did you put my potions book?" Remus shouted as he ran into the kitchen. He frantically looked through the cupboards, checking behind all of the cookbooks and pots. Once he had triple checked the silverware drawer, he pushed it shut a bit harder than normal. This is ridiculous, he thought, exasperated. He leaned back on his elbows, resting on the counter as he mentally retraced his steps from when he last had it.

"What?" James asked, looking up from his stack of crepes. The Potter’s house elf, Toppy, had been trying French recipes lately, to gain more experience in cooking. His fork was halfway to his mouth. James’ hair was more ruffled than usual, and he was still wearing his pajamas. His shirt was buttoned wrong, leaving a button sticking out the top.

"You know, the textbook about this thick that says 'Advanced Potion Making' on it?" Remus got up and looked under the couch in the Potter’s sitting room. He then moved to looking under each of the cushions and in all of the drawers. Where on earth could it be? It’s almost as if someone vanished it.

"No, I don't. I didn't even know you were taking potions this year." James returned his attention to his breakfast. He spooned up the chocolate sauce and drizzled it on his crepes. After cutting it carefully with a butter knife, James speared it with his fork.

"Well, I am. And you should have known that, James! We talked about this for at least a week at the beginning of the summer." Remus walked back into the kitchen and sat down. The house elf brought a plate of crepes over to Remus and set it down. Remus took the chocolate sauce from James and spooned some onto his breakfast.

James looked at Remus while chewing, slightly confused. Then realization dawned on him. "Yeah, we did. I guess I just forgot, what with all the exciting events that have happened since the beginning of June. You know, Alex coming over and you sneaking out and-"

"Sneaking out? When did that happen?" Remus interrupted. His heart sped up. If James knows that Mary and I have been meeting in the middle of the night to talk about how everything is going, he might have figured out that Lily’s here, and that might wreck everything.

"Oh, just the other day. I was laying in my bed, dreaming of the usual, when I heard your door creak open. Then you walked down the hall, down the stairs, into the front room, and climbed out the window. You didn't come back until after I fell asleep." The two boys went silent as Alex walked into the room. She picked up a crepe from the stack Toppy had left on the counter and rolled it up, taking a bite as she left the room.

"You sure that wasn't just a dream?" Remus asked once Alex’s footsteps had silenced.

"Yep. Positive. I put a pair of socks on top of my sink after I saw you, and it was there in the morning." Remus took a deep breath. James knew nothing.

"Whatever, James. I still think you did something with my potions book." He finished his crepes and left the room, heading back upstairs to continue looking for his potions book.

--

Alex was upstairs in her bedroom, pressing her ear to the carpet. When she heard feet on the stairs, she quickly stood up and resumed folding her clothes and placing them in her trunk. As she did so, Alex couldn't help thinking about the conversation she had just overheard. Remus had snuck out a few nights before, and he had spoken with two girls across the street. She couldn't hear their words, but something about the girls seemed rather familiar. And Remus' potion book- that was situated under her bed. The two boys were much too friendly for her taste. Alex felt as if Remus was a block in her relationship with James, and the only solution was to distance them from each other. Not destroy their friendship, just interrupt it.

--

"Hey, Alex," Remus said as he reached her bedroom. He peered in her room, wondering if he could find an excuse to come in and search for his book. He didn’t want to offend her, by implying that he didn’t trust her, and risk ruining her potential relationship with James. Remus leaned on the doorway to watch Alex for a minute.

"Hey, Remus." Alex continued packing her things, pausing only to shove the potions book farther under her bed with her toe. She pulled open a drawer and emptied it into her trunk, throwing a few items onto the bed to pack later. Then she moved onto the next drawer, and Remus walked past.

As Remus shut the door to his own bedroom, his thoughts began to wander in all directions, eventually landing on James and Alex. All seemed to be going well, but there was something unsettling about Alex. She seemed a little sneaky, but Remus couldn’t figure out why, and he didn’t want to threaten Operation James Isn’t A Total Jerk To Lily just because he didn’t really like the key player.

--

Lily was in Mary’s bedroom, sitting on the bed and chatting with Mary. –I can’t believe this is going to be our seventh year!” she exclaimed. –And that we made it. We’ve survived everything so far, and all we have left is NEWTS and then we’re off to the real world to get jobs.”

–Yeah, it’s going to be great,” replied Mary very unenthusiastically. –Have you seen my hair brush?” Mary pulled back her covers, just in case.

–I think you left it in the bathroom.” Mary walked to her bathroom. –And this year is going to be great- I finally thought of the perfect spot in the library where James won’t be able to find me!” Lily stood up and straightened the covers.

–That’s great,” replied Mary. She had returned with the blue hair brush and was looking for the next item on her list. –Wait-” she paused, realizing something. –Why would you not want James to find you? And since when is he James?”

–What?”

–James. You called him James, not Potter.”

–Oh. Yeah, I guess I did. Well, that’s probably because he hasn’t been asking me out every three seconds for the last three months. It’s nice to get a break from guys.” Lily glanced at the clock on Mary’s wall before leaving. –Well, I should finish packing. I’ll see you later.”

Mary just sat there thinking long after Lily left. She called him James. Not Potter. Operation Get Lily To Admit Her Love For James is finally starting.

--

"Time to get up, boys!" James's mother called. James rolled over in his bed and pulled his covers over his head. Do I really have to get up? he thought.

–James! Come on! We’re going back today, and we’re going to see Padfoot and Wormtail and Li-” Remus stopped abruptly. –Everyone!” He jumped onto James’ bed, pulling the covers off his friend.

–That’s lovely, Moony. Now get out of my bedroom.” James shoved Remus off his bed and rolled over. Remus rolled his eyes and left the room, grinning, before skipping off to his own bedroom and changing out of his pajamas.

After a few minutes of silence, James heard someone enter his room. Alex, he thought. He waited until she was right next to his bed before turning around and smiling at her.

–Morning, gorgeous,” he whispered.

–That’s so much nicer than the greeting you gave Remus this morning,” she replied, sitting down next to him.

–What can I say. He’s not as pretty as you,” James laughed. He sat up and stretched, then suddenly remembered he wasn’t wearing a shirt. Quickly, James laid down and pulled the covers back on.

–I’ll go get dressed now,” Alex said before slowly walking to the door, blowing James a kiss before she left.

--

–Lily, dear, would you like some pancakes?” Mary’s mother asked. Mary was already seated at the kitchen table enjoying breakfast.

–Yes, please,” Lily replied. She joined Mary at the table. Mary’s father looked up from the Daily Prophet at the two girls.

–Did you girls sleep well?” he asked.

–Yeah,” they replied simultaneously.

–Then I recommend you both visit the bathroom with a hairbrush before going to the station!” he exclaimed. The two girls giggled.

–Don’t worry. We’ve still got a few hours before we have to leave,” Mary replied. They finished their pancakes and hurried upstairs, excited to get back to Hogwarts.

–Mary!” Lily called after a few minutes. –Do you remember where I put my shirt?”

–Which one?” Mary called back.

–The blue one with the birds and flowers. I thought I set it out, but it’s not anywhere.” Mary had arrived at Lily’s door.

–Didn’t you take it downstairs last night?”

–Yeah, but I brought it back up.” Lily popped open her trunk. –I just can’t figure out where it went!”

–Don’t worry. You can borrow something of mine. I actually have this one shirt I was thinking of wearing but I decided not to because I really don’t think the color suits me. I’ll go grab it.” Mary returned a moment later with the shirt, and Lily pulled it on.

–How does it look?” she asked.

–Perfect. Now, put your things back in your trunk. It’s almost time to go.” Mary and Lily eventually dragged their trunks downstairs and set them by the door. They said a final goodbye to Mary’s father, and then left for Platform 9 3/4.

--

–Alex, we’ve got to leave!” James yelled. Alex had yet to exit her room since James had seen her that morning. –You already don’t have time to eat, and we’re really running late!”

–Don’t worry, don’t worry.” Alex had finally emerged. –I just need to grab a few things, and then we can go.”

–Whatever you do, hurry up. We don’t want to miss the train.” Remus checked the clock hanging from the wall. –We needed to leave two minutes ago.” Alex vanished up the stairs. –And I really hope Padfoot is saving us a compartment,” Remus muttered.

–He will. He always gets there almost an hour early, yet he can barely make it to class on time. The mysteries of Sirius Black.” James and Remus sighed.

–Remus, I found your book,” Alex said as she came down the stairs. She tossed it to him before running back into her bedroom to grab her trunk. James and Remus picked it up for her, and they finally loaded into the Potters’ car.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=91677