Diffraction by Equinox Chick
Summary: Diffraction - the phenomenon where light encounters an obstacle.

It is September the first, and a sixth-year boy takes photographs of excited children on platform nine-and-three-quarters. Everyone looks happy, but Aaron Harper's heart is leaden. He can deal with the girl he fancies going out with the obnoxious Hugo Weasley, but coping at Hogwarts with no support from his father could be one obstacle too many.

This is Equinox Chick of Hufflepuff and this is my story for the Character Clinic OC challenge: Prompt 1.

Disclaimer: I'm not JKR: Hogwarts isn't mine, neither is Hugo Weasley, but Aaron Harper and Genister Avery are.
Categories: Next Generation Characters: None
Warnings: Mild Profanity
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 2 Completed: Yes Word count: 10385 Read: 3416 Published: 08/23/12 Updated: 08/26/12
Story Notes:
Aaron Harper and Genister Avery had minor roles in my Scorpius/Lily fic, High. It is not necessary to read that to understand this, but what the heck, you might well enjoy it.

1. One by Equinox Chick

2. Two by Equinox Chick

One by Equinox Chick
It was a warm morning; the hot summer of August had sprawled into September, tempering the usual crisp slide into autumn. On platform nine-and-three-quarters, children milled around on the concourse, pleased to see their friends and excited to be returning to school. Parents beamed with pride, most not wanting to show their children that they’d be missed, and hiding their tears behind a happy smile.

Charlotte Harper was not one of these mothers. Clutching her handkerchief to her face, she unashamedly let the tears spill down her cheeks as she hugged her daughter, Sophia, to her ample chest. Beside them, her stepson Aaron turned away, embarrassed by the excess of emotion, especially as he knew his sister was milking it so she’d be given a few more Galleons to spend this term.

–I’m going to load up,” he muttered and stepped away.

–Help your sister with her trunk,” Charlotte reproved.

–I’m going now-” he started to say, and then sighed. –I’ll come back.”

Heaving his own trunk across the platform, he pulled it onto the Hogwarts Express and started to look for his friend, Ewan. But he’d arrived early and hardly anyone had boarded the train, so Aaron took up residency in their usual carriage and stared out of the window, trying to empty his mind - or at least not think about a summer flicking between arguments and frozen silence. By the pillar, he could see Sophia had disentangled herself from her mum’s embrace and was now giggling with her friends. His stepmother, meanwhile, had pulled out a money pouch. Aaron watched as she plunged her hand into it and waited for his sister to turn her attention back to her mum.

It didn’t take long. Trying not to feel hard done by, he saw Sophia force out a few more tears as she took the money, then snorted when she was unable to keep the lascivious glee off her face.

–That won’t get you any more money,” he murmured. And with satisfaction, he smirked as his stepmother pursed her lips and closed her moneybag.

He looked away, resentful that Sophia was still able to charm whereas he - he checked his own moneybag - he had very little left from the allowance his dad had given him at the beginning of July. There was no point brooding. He’d cocked up his exams, and the clutch of Exceeds Expectations he’d been predicted to achieve had been watered down into Acceptables.

–What is the point in you spending another two years studying for NEWTs when it is obvious you do not put the work in? It is a waste of your time and my money, Aaron.”

–I could retake,” he spluttered. –I have Es in Charms, Potions and Muggle Studies, so I can take them to NEWT.”

–MUGGLE STUDIES! What use is that?” his stepmother shrieked.

–I LIKE IT.” He turned away from her. –Dad, I only failed Ancient Runes and Care of Magical Creatures. Please, you let Lucas and Jasper take NEWTs.”

–They had good results!” his father spat. –It is patently clear to me that you don’t have their talent. Leave Hogwarts and -”

Aaron hadn’t tried to remonstrate but stormed from the room, slamming the door and refusing to go back when his dad shouted at him. He’d stayed in his room for the rest of that day, staring moodily out of the window and ignoring the house-elf’s calls for food.

That week he’d avoided any confrontation, coming down late for breakfast, and eating dinner early before his dad and brothers returned from work. But he couldn’t hide forever and the summons to his dad’s study the following Sunday had to be obeyed.

–You may return to Hogwarts.”

–Thank-you!” Aaron’s face must have shown his delight and surprise because his father fixed him with a steely glare.

–Or leave and work for the business.”

–I want to take my NEWTs,” Aaron answered, his face wreathed in smiles at this unexpected reprieve. –I won’t let you down, Dad. I’ll study hard, I promise.”

His dad raised his hand, quietening him. –If you join your brothers it will be on a full wage. You will have to start at the bottom, but with hard work and my backing you will soon work your way up.”

–I want to go back to school.”

–And you may,” his father declared, –but you will have minimal assistance from me. You have shown yourself incapable of achieving and I will not waste time and money on a fruitless endeavour. I will pay the fees, but that is all.”

–No allowance?” Aaron slumped back in his chair.

–I thought that would make you reconsider.” His father turned back to his newspaper, flipping contemptuously through the Sunday Prophet, not even glancing at his son.

In a daze, Aaron stared at the newspaper. There was a photograph of Harry Potter on the front page, attending his godson’s wedding. It wasn’t a great picture, a sneaked shot - perhaps. The Head Auror looked startled, his eyes flicking suspiciously from left to right and Aaron became irrationally annoyed at the blurriness of the shot. It was the front page of the paper; they should have found one of the bride, not a badly framed picture of Harry simply because he was famous.

–I don’t know why you’re still here,” his father snapped. –Unless the thought of no money has made you come to your senses sooner than I thought.”

Saying no more, Aaron left his father’s study and went back to his room. On his bedside cabinet lay two cameras, he touched one of them with his fingertips, intent on picking it up, but now was not the time, not when the gloom of his uncertain future loomed ahead of him as coldly depressing as a Dementor.


Someone rapped on the window. Awoken from his sad reverie, Aaron scowled at Sophia, who was miming that she needed help with her trunk, but his quarrel wasn’t with her and he got off the train.

–You don’t want to sit with me, I hope,” he muttered.

–Merlin, no!” she exclaimed. –I do have friends of my own, you know. Although Daisy Flint did ask if you’d like to join us.”

–She’s thirteen,” he said in disgust and shuddered. –There must be other boys in your year. Why me?”

Sophia pulled a face. –No idea. She’s babbling something about how you’ve grown, and have a tan. She thinks you look ‘mature’.”

–She’s thirteen,” he repeated.

–Nearly fourteen,” Sophia replied, and then she smiled at him. –Don’t worry, I’ll tell her you still sleep with your teddy bear or something.”

He said no more, hauling her trunk onto the train whilst she gave her mum a final kiss. Then when inside, she directed him along to her carriage, giggling when she saw Daisy had already commandeered a seat by the door. He glowered at Sophia when she suggested he stay and backed out quickly, but once in the corridor, she caught up with him.

–Wait,” she called.

–Why?”

–For this,” she replied.

He felt her press something into his hand and looking down saw she’d handed him five of the ten Galleons her mother had given her.

–What’s this for?”

–I know Daddy’s stopped your allowance,” she replied. –So -” Her voice trailed off.

–Er... Soph, I don’t know what to say.”

–A thank you would be nice,” she said tartly. –If you hadn’t been staring at me out of the window, then I could have got more, but your face made me laugh.”

–Thanks,” he said, truly grateful. Five Galleons, it wasn’t much, but at least he had something to get him through the term.

–Don’t blow it all on the sweet trolley,” she replied as she stepped away, –Or that girl.”

‘What girl?’ he wanted to say, but Sophia knew him better than anyone, and would only have laughed louder.

And in her wink, and the words unspoken, was the other reason he wanted to return to school.

Genister Avery was a Ravenclaw in his year, one he’d got to know when they started Ancient Runes. It was a small class (only eight other pupils that year) and he was the only Slytherin in the group, so out of necessity, he’d made friends with some of them. Ancient Runes had not been a subject he’d been fond of, but it was something his father thought worthy of study, and although he’d stuck with the subject, Aaron had several times over the previous three years wanted to chuck it in. In all honesty, he’d been relieved when he’d failed because then he couldn’t be forced to take it further, knowing that a large part of why he hadn’t given up the subject was because of Genister.

He’d never really noticed her before, but somehow in their fifth year, he’d started seeing her in a different light. She wasn’t exactly beautiful, but neither was she ugly. She was slim, reasonably tall and with wispy blonde hair that she’d always worn in a long plait until the Christmas before when she’d returned to Hogwarts with it cut sharply to her jaw line. Overhearing her giggling about it to her friends, and telling them how she had enjoyed her mum’s horror, he’d stared at her, wondering why having a few inches off your hair made such a difference, but then realised he could see her features clearly, her cheekbones sharp and her blue eyes much larger without the weighty fringe. She’d seen him looking and smiled; Aaron had turned away too embarrassed to smile and he’d heard her laughing again.

His thoughts drifted to Hogsmeade and maybe sitting in the Three Broomsticks with her. Perhaps this term things would be different. Perhaps the fact that he might not share any classes with her this year didn’t automatically mean she’d no longer speak to him. He sighed. Why he was bothering to even think about her, he had no idea as not only had she never shown the slightest interest outside class, but last term she’d started going out with Hugo-bloody -Weasley. Kicking open his carriage door, Aaron sat heavily down in his seat and stared again out of the window. There were children on the platform, first years he realised, their nervous energy brimming over. Without thinking, he picked up his camera (the magical one) and started to focus.

It had been in Muggle Studies in his fourth year that Aaron had become interested in photography. Professor Trescothick, a grizzled man with a thatch of grey hair and kind brown eyes, had brought in some old Muggle cameras and together they’d sat around snapping pictures. The following week, the professor had showed them the developing process, and then they’d compared the results with a wizarding camera. Most of his classmates hadn’t been able to handle the concept of a still picture and their photographs had been blurred, but at the end of the lesson, the professor had praised Aaron.

–You have an eye for this, Harper, Tell me; are you in the Photography Club?”

Aaron shook his head because it had never been something that had appealed to him, but later that evening, when he’d flipped through his photographs, something had stirred inside him, a vague interest that had nothing to do with schoolwork, Quidditch or the family business. It was something of his own, something private that he could connect to, a pastime that didn’t require him to explain himself, but only asked that he observe and pick his moment.

Click. He lowered his camera, frowning because someone had walked into the frame just when he’d spied a dad hastily wiping away a tear.

It was Genister. She’d walked through the barrier looking flustered, probably because she was cutting it fine. Coming through just behind her were her parents, both speaking at the same time and ‘at’ her it seemed rather than ‘to’ her. Even from a distance, Aaron could sense her exasperation with them as she dragged her trunk with both hands over the platform, and he grinned. Across the concourse, someone else had noticed her arrival. Aaron stiffened as he recognised Weasley, who’d deliberately turned his back on her.

Interesting, Aaron thought, and she’s not looking at him either.

After checking his reflection in the window (pleasant, nondescript features, but at least he didn’t have Weasley’s large nose) and ruffling his brown hair into a cooler style, he left his carriage and jumped off the train. Affecting an air of casualness, he strolled towards Genister.

–Hi,” he croaked. –D’you need a hand with that?”

–I’m fine!” she snapped, then bit her lip. As she straightened up and registered who had spoken to her, Genister’s expression immediately changed. –Hi, Aaron, sorry. I don’t mean to be rude, and yes, this is rather heavy.” She lowered her voice. –Dad refused to cast a lightening charm on it and I have a stack of books in here, so it’s bloody heavy.”

–He refused?”

Genister rolled her eyes. –He doesn’t think I should be taking them all with me as half of them aren’t even text books. He thinks he’s teaching me a lesson - ha - won’t work.”

–Darling, are you going to introduce us?” Aaron looked up to see a slim, well-dressed woman addressing them. The resemblance to Genister was striking; it could only be her mother, although Genister never took as much care with her appearance and looked decidedly scruffy in comparison.

–This is Aaron Harper,” Genister replied, and smiled up at him. –He does Ancient Runes with me.”

–Nathanial Harper’s boy?” Mr Avery queried, giving Aaron the once-over. A slow smile spread across his face when Aaron nodded. –And are you hoping to take Ancient Runes like my daughter?”

–Uh, no, I didn’t do well enough in the subject,” Aaron replied, slightly embarrassed by the attention her parents were giving him. –Shame because I really enjoyed it, but -”

–Quick, the guard’s approaching,” Genister interrupted. She lunged forwards, pecking both her parents on the cheek, then grabbed her trunk. Taking the other handle, Aaron ran with her to the train, heaving it up the steps and into the corridor.

–Bye,” she called out of the door window, smiling with relief when the train started to move. –Thank you very much. You’ve just saved me a long, long lecture about working hard and not getting distracted by silliness as my mum calls it.”

–Silliness?”

–Stories,” Genister explained. –I like reading... and writing, too.”

–Your dad’s a journalist, isn’t he?” Aaron asked, suddenly remembering that the name ‘Rob Avery’ appeared in The Prophet’s by-lines every so often. –He’d like you writing, wouldn’t he?”

–Um, not when I like writing poetry, and that makes no money,” she replied vaguely. Her eyes were peering down the corridor and she began to pull her trunk behind her.

Aaron’s hand curled around the five galleons in his hand. She’d smiled at him so vividly when introducing him to them. What if...

–Do you want to find the trolley?” he blurted out. –My treat, and... uh... I dumped my trunk in the third carriage if you’d like somewhere to sit. It’s pretty empty.”

–Hmm,” she murmured vaguely. Then she turned to face him, focussing properly on his face. –Oh, no, thanks very much, but I’m meeting Hugo.”

He was grateful that she looked away and couldn’t see the reaction he felt sure was on his face –Still seeing him,” he stated, stepping towards his carriage.

–Mm, just can’t tell Mum and Dad. They’d have a merry fit if they discovered we were dating.”

Not surprised, he’s an arse, Aaron wanted to say. Ah well, at least now he could save his money. –I’ll see you around, then,” he muttered.

–Yes, Ancient Runes, perhaps.” She flushed. –Sorry, I forgot. You didn’t get an E, did you?”

–D for Dreadful, actually.” He shrugged. –Not that surprised, it wasn’t something I liked much.”

She laughed, sounding bemused. –Why did you take it then?”

–Dunno,” he replied and licked his lips. –This is my carriage, so I won’t keep you.”

–Sure,” she replied, looking even more bemused, possibly at his sudden change in tone. But Aaron didn’t care what she thought now. All he wanted was to sit by himself and lick his wounds. Unfortunately, the carriage was no longer empty as his friend, Ewan Rokeby, had finally turned up and was sprawled across one set of seats, stuffing his face with a pumpkin pasty.

–Aaron, there you are!” he shouted, spraying crumbs out of his mouth. –Who’s the bird?”

He blushed, but Genister affected not to notice and merely pushed past him with her trunk. Watching her go, he wondered again whether to help, but watching a joyous reunion with Weasley would have made him vomit more than the sight of Ewan eating, so with scowl he re-entered the carriage.

After answering his friend’s questions with brief yes and no replies, Aaron picked up his camera and started to fiddle with it. Ewan hated having his picture taken, and turned away, telling him he was going to sleep. Pleased his ruse had worked (and he no longer had to talk about his holidays, or OWL results, or NEWTs) , Aaron sat back in his seat contemplating the countryside and wondering how the hell he was going to get through the next week, let alone the next two years.

–I give you a term, and then you’ll come crawling back home, begging me for a job!” His father’s last remark had been.

And instead of pleading with him. Instead of trying to placate by promising he’d come back at Christmas and Easter to work for his father, Aaron had shouted back that he’d manage fine, that he’d already bought all his books and nothing was bringing him back - not now, not ever!

It had been a petulant response, but fresh from a trip to Diagon Alley where he’d managed to pick up second-hand text books, Aaron hadn’t cared. It was later, when the house-elf was packing his trunk that he realised he’d left no money for new clothes.

–Whoa, what’s happened?” Ewan started laughing when Aaron got changed as they approached Hogwarts.

–Damn house-elf has packed the wrong robes,” Aaron replied belligerently. Daisy Flint was right; he had grown. And looking down, nothing could disguise the gap between his shoes and robe hem. It hadn’t been noticeable when he was wearing shorts, but now a good five inches of calf gaped through.

Still laughing at him, Ewan pulled on his own robes (new for this year, Aaron noted sourly), as the Hogwarts Express arrived at the station.

If he’d thought no one would notice the old robes, he was mistaken. As the children of Nathaniel Harper, Aaron and his sister were always dressed in the best. With Sophia obviously wearing new robes, the comparison with Aaron could not have been stronger.

–What happened to you, rich boy?” he heard someone jeer. –Someone cast an Extension Charm on your legs?”

–More like a Shrinking Charm on his clothes,” another voice said, laughing. Aaron turned around, recognising the obnoxious voice of Hugo Weasley, looking all the more obnoxious because he was draped all over Genister. About to walk away, not wanting to let Weasley know he’d got to him, he took a step back, but as the laughter persisted, he turned around and strode over to the group.

He’d always been slightly afraid of the Weasley and Potter clan. There were so many of them, and the boys were all taller, broader, and they seemed to ooze confidence. He’d kept out of their way, which had been relatively easy as he’d only shared lessons with Lily and Hugo, and being a Slytherin it was easy to find reasons not to mix with them. But now, his frustration with everything overrode his trepidation.

–Want to say something to my face, Weasley, instead of behind my back!” he said, smiling when he realised that close up he was now a mere hair’s breadth shorter than his enemy. –Not so cocky with someone your own size, are you?” he hissed.

–Er...” Weasley took a small step back and raised one hand. –Joke, Harper, joke.”

–I don’t like having the piss taken out of me, all right,” Aaron replied, staring intently into Weasley’s eyes and rather enjoying the uncertainty flickering in them.

–Aaron,” Genister intervened, not quite stepping between them, but her hand touched him on the arm, –Hugo didn’t mean anything. It’s only because you usually dress so... um... smart.”

Aaron took a deep breath and then turned away. He heard Weasley mutter, ‘I think you mean like a tosser, not smart,’, then shout ‘OW’ after someone (he hoped it was Genister,) obviously whacked him.

–He’s okay,” he thought she murmured.


Despite having to watch Genister and Weasley enact their reunion at every possible moment in the Great Hall and the Entrance Hall, Aaron was pleased to be back at Hogwarts. The urge to punch Weasley faded as he concentrated on his new timetable, and he was especially heartened when Professor Longbottom pulled him to one side and declared that despite the Acceptable, he would still let him take Herbology to NEWT.

–I looked over your theory paper, Harper, and you were close to Exceeds Expectations so I have no qualms about your ability to NEWT, although there is a lot more work.”

–Thanks, sir, but I don’t have the books.”

–Not a problem. There are plenty of old ones in the store cupboard. You may use them until you receive your new ones.” He hesitated as he looked Aaron up and down. –The syllabus hasn’t changed much from my day, so you don’t even need the new book, if I’m honest with you.”

As Aaron left Professor Longbottom’s study, he wondered if he knew about his father’s stance or whether it was just a stab in the dark. Enormously grateful to the man for his tact, he was still embarrassed to be in this position, but realised things could have been far worse. He had his books, he had his cameras, and he was away from the claustrophobia of the Harper household. He had five Galleons, and even though that would barely keep him in Butterbeer for the term, it was better than nothing. The only blot as far as he could see was a red haired one in the form of Weasley.


–Aaron, very pleased to see you’ve signed up to my class,” said Professor Trescothick heartily.

–One of my best subjects, sir,” he replied. –There was no way I was going to drop it.”

–And you will be signing up for Photography Club.” The professor’s voice was certain, making a statement of fact rather than asking a question.

Hell, Photography Club. Fifteen Galleons a term.

–Uh, not sure, Professor. I need to concentrate on school work, really.”

The professor’s face fell. –I was rather hoping-–

–Sorry, sir, it’s just impossible,” he broke in before the Professor could say any more.

Other pupils were coming in now, so with a sigh, Trescothick nodded, and Aaron returned to his desk. He brooded for the rest of the lesson on his finances. The five Galleons suddenly seeming a whole lot less, and Merlin only knew when he’d get anymore. Sophia’s mother might have been a soft touch at the station, but ensconced in her house and lunching with her friends, she would soon forget she had a child. There’d be the odd treat parcels and occasional letter, but their dad would insist no money was sent.

That night he thought again over his options. Did he have anything he could sell? His dress robes, although worn, were still of good quality, but would anyone be interested in them? His books were all old, and he wasn’t skilled enough at anything to tutor anyone through OWLs - that type of money could only be earned by the top students, usually impecunious Ravenclaws in their sixth year. Eventually he rolled onto his side and closed his eyes. The best he could hope for was that his dad would accept he was serious and change his mind.

A forlorn hope, but it was all he had.
End Notes:
Reviews are really rather lovely.
Two by Equinox Chick
–Hello.”

Aaron looked up from his place in the Potions class to see Genister standing over him. She was smiling and clutching a new set of textbooks. –Do you mind if I sit with you?”

–No, not at all,” he replied, trying not to sound eager. Pointing towards the other Ravenclaws who were sitting themselves down, he continued, –I thought you’d sit with your friends.”

–There’re five of us taking the NEWT, so we can’t all sit together and I don’t really know anyone else,” she murmured, adding, –I don’t get on with the Gryffindors, and that Hufflepuff girl is really boring. Although, if you’re already sitting -”

–No!” he practically yelped as she stepped away. –Uh, I mean, sit with me. It’s not a problem.”

She smiled again, and this time hoisted her bag onto the desk next to him. –Thank you. I hope I don’t annoy you, I tend to read aloud.”

Aaron said nothing, concentrating instead on the professor as he explained the syllabus for this year and the equipment needed. He walked along the rows examining the tools the pupils had brought with them, tutting when it was clear Thomas from Gryffindor had not cleaned her silver knife adequately. Smiling at Genister’s full complement of tools laid out in a new tool roll, each compartment housing a new silver knife, spoon, or spatula, his expression flickered when he moved to Aaron. His stare took in Aaron’s old cauldron and the dog-eared textbook. Aaron met his gaze, daring him to speak, to utter something about the disreputable state of his belongings, but his Head of House said nothing, and moved to the front of the class to continue the lesson.

Noticing that Genister was eyeing him strangely, he gave her a small tight smile, then bent his head over his textbook and made a start on the Euphoria Potion they’d been told to brew. Genister’s voice as she read the instructions had an oddly calming effect on him (odd because he usually worked best when no one was near him) and he soon had a yellow liquid bubbling in his cauldron. Genister’s potion was of a similar hue, and she smiled across the desk at him. He grinned back, wondering if it was the potion or her smile making him feel so lightheaded.

–Harper! Your cauldron!” rapped the Professor.

Too late Aaron turned back to his brew and saw a large crack spreading from the rim to the base. He pulled out his wand, but just at that moment, the cauldron gave up any pretence that it could contain anything and split, spilling the sticky Euphoria Potion all over the floor.

–Clear it up!” the professor snapped.

Aaron began jabbing his wand at the potion on the floor, but the closer he got, the more the fumes pervaded his nostrils and soon he began to giggle. Then, as he siphoned the potion into a bowl, some squirted back on his face. He heard Genister laugh and realised she’d bent over to help him and some of the potion had splattered her, too. Then he could feel his nose twitching, and he closed his mouth, desperate to resist the urge to sing. Alongside him, Genister had no such restraint and started the chorus of an old classic from the Weird Sisters. The whole class began to laugh, and although Aaron knew they were laughing at him, in this mood, he couldn’t help but join in. His hand kept tweaking his nose and soon he had joined Genister in her song.

When the bell went at last, Aaron had managed to siphon enough of the potion into a flask for Professor Zabini to mark. The effects were wearing off now, and Genister seemed quieter, although she was still snorting a little.

–I’m sorry,” he whispered. –You don’t have to stay. I can clear up.”

–No, it’s fine,” she whispered back. –Hugo said he’d meet me after class, only he hasn’t turned up yet.” She giggled again, then seemed to gain some control as she tipped the rest of her brew away. –This has been the most fun I’ve ever had in Potions, so thank you.”

–For cocking up?” he asked, not sure whether she was mocking him.

–For not scowling when I read aloud, and for joining in when I started singing. I have an awful voice.”

–Miss Avery, you may leave now,” Professor Zabini called. –Harper, I need a word.”

With a heavy heart, which wasn’t just due to the Euphoria Potion wearing off, Aaron resumed cleaning, watching as Genister packed up her books and scurried to the door.

–Your cauldron is old, and will not stand much more use however many times you cast Reparo,” Professor Zabini said, not bothering with any preliminaries. –If, Harper, you are serious about taking the Potions NEWT then you will need a new one, preferably brass.”

–Of course, I’m serious,” Aaron retorted, stung by the harsh tone in his professor’s voice.

–Then why on earth have you turned up to my first lesson of the year with the cauldron that you’ve been using since your first year?”

Aaron ran through the options in his mind, trying to think which story he could spin. –I thought I could get away with using my old one,” he mumbled. –And... er ... spent the money on camera stuff.”

Professor Zabini perused him, not saying a word until he’d taken in everything about his pupil. –But your parents are -”

–My father,” Aaron cut in. –My mum died when I was two.”

–Your father,” Zabini amended, –is a wealthy man. He has never stinted on anything for you or your sister. Is there a problem the school needs to be aware of?”

–He doesn’t want me to take NEWTs,” Aaron admitted. –My OWL results weren’t good and he doesn’t think I should have bothered coming back. So he won’t be happy about sending me more money when I ... er ... wasted the first lot he gave me.”

–I see.” The professor paused and very slowly stoked his chin, deep in thought. –Would it help if I had a word with him? I’d hate to see you do badly for want of a proper cauldron.”

Touched, Aaron swallowed but shook his head. –Sorry, sir, I don’t think it’ll make a difference.” He looked away, not adding that it would make it a whole lot worse.

–Very well,” Professor Zabini replied. –There are spare cauldrons you may use. I will have one set out for you next lesson until you can buy a new one. Your text book, though, is more of a problem.” He picked up Aaron’s book and flicked through it. –Yes, as I thought, there’s no mention here of adding peppermint to the brew. This book is fifteen years out of date. I’m sorry, but you will have to order a new book. Do you have the money, because I can -”

–No, it’s fine. I have money, just wanted to save it,” Aaron interrupted. –But a new book is obviously important.”

–You’re sure, because we have contingency funds for -–

–I’m sure,” Aaron replied. –If that’s all, sir, may I go?”

–Yes, that’s all,” the professor replied wearily. –But, Aaron, if you change your mind, I can speak to the governors.”

–No!” the single exclamation came out far louder than he’d intended and he waited for the reprimand, but instead the Potions Master sighed.

–I will say no more about it, but please do not feel you cannot speak to me again on this subject, Harper.”

Recognising that as permission to go, Aaron packed up his bag and left the classroom. There was an hour until dinner, which left him enough time to grab his camera and use up his last film, or go to the library and see if they had a more up-to-date version of his book. Deciding on the latter, he turned right, away from Slytherin and bumped into someone - Genister, who had obviously been outside the classroom the whole time.

–Hugo’s not turned up yet,” she started to babble. –I wasn’t eves-dropping. Just...” She trailed off, her eyes flicking from side to side until finally she stared directly at his face.

He wanted to walk away, did not need this pity from her of all people, but as he stepped back she clasped his arm. –Dads can be right gits.”

–Thanks,” he muttered. –But I’m okay.”

–You can share my potions book if you want,” she offered, squeezing him on the arm. –Honestly, it won’t be a problem.”

–I can buy-”

–I’m sure you can. But I’m hardly going to need it every single minute of the day. So we can share in lessons, and then I’ll lend it to you when you need to do homework.”

She sounded so matter-of-fact about it, so un-pitying, that he found himself nodding and thanking her.

–We are supposed to have read that chapter by tomorrow, though,” he muttered, spotting the flaw in her plan.

Genister pulled a face and looked up and down the corridor. –As Hugo appears to be late again, why don’t we go outside now and read it together? It shouldn’t take us long, even if we do have to make notes.”

He blinked, marvelling at her generosity. But just as he was about to agree, he heard footsteps pounding up the corridor.

–Gen, sorry I’m late,” Hugo panted, looking red in the face though whether it was from exertion or embarrassment, Aaron didn’t know. All he knew was that Genister was now giving him an apologetic look.

–Take the book and find me after dinner,” she said, thrusting it into his hand. –I’ll be in the library.”

–Library?” Hugo queried. –We’ve only just got back.”

–And some of us already have homework,” she replied, sounding arch.

–Yeah, yeah, all right,” Hugo muttered. He glanced at Aaron, appearing to realise for the first time who else was there, and his tone became a lot less placatory. –What are you talking to him for?”

–None of your business, Weasley,” Aaron rapped.

–We have Potions together,” Genister explained. –Aaron is borrow- uh - he’s my partner in a project, so we need to work together.” Linking her arm into Hugo’s, she started to walk down the corridor, turning back to say, –I’ll see you at eight.”

Although grateful she hadn’t spilled the beans to Weasley, Aaron thumped the wall. After spending the whole of last year trying to pluck up the courage to ask her out, he’d at last found some common ground with her, but now, not only was she going out with Weasley, Aaron could barely afford a cake in Madam Puddifoot’s.

She was standing outside the library when he arrived, so Aaron handed over the book, muttering his thanks before stepping away.

–Did you have time to make notes?” she asked.

He shrugged. –I made some.”

–We could finish them together, talk it over, if you’d like.”

–Uh, sure, but...” He hesitated, not quite sure what to say. –Why are you helping me, Genister?”

She blushed a little. –You must know I overheard your conversation with Professor Zabini.”

–Yeah.” He shuffled his feet. –I sort of gathered that.”

–And ... I wondered,” she spoke falteringly, not quite meeting his eyes, then cleared her throat. –Last year’s robes, the second hand potions book, and although there’s a lot of people here who buy things second hand...” She took another breath, perhaps waiting for him to speak, but Aaron stayed silent. –Your sister is swanking around as if she’s just stepped out of Madam Malkins’ and -”

–I’m what? Some scruffy Crup that you need to pat on the head?”

–No,” she soothed. –Look, I just know what it’s like to have a dad that wants to control your life, that’s all.”

–Your dad wanted you to come back, though, didn’t he? I thought his problem was with you reading too much - that’s not the same as being cut off with-” He stopped abruptly and wrenched away from her. –It doesn’t matter. I’ll get by with my old book, thanks.”

–Aaron, for Merlin’s sake,” she hissed, and plucking on his sleeve, she drew him behind a suit of armour. –It’s clear you don’t have any money. I overheard you telling Professor Zabini that you’d spent it all on your camera, but you haven’t joined Photography Club again.”

–How do you know?”

–Because I was on the waiting list last year, and Professor Trescothick told me there was a space.”

–You like photography?”

–I’ve been into The Prophet with Dad a few times and he’s often partnered with a photographer.” She smiled slightly. –It seems interesting, although I have no idea what Trescothick is like as a teacher. Is he good?”

–Very,” Aaron said fervently. A lump formed in his throat. Photography Club had been his refuge, the one thing he’d felt good at because it didn’t rely on study, or any particular aptitude except a knack he had for observing others and picking out the right moment.

–Sorry,” she murmured. –Can you not afford it at all?”

–Dad’s paying school fees, that’s all, and while he’s doing that, I can’t very well apply to the Governors for money.” He laughed bitterly. –Very smart, my old man. He knows exactly how to make life unbearable without looking in the least wrong. If I pack in Hogwarts, then it will only show again that I can’t stick to anything.”

–But you won’t,” she stated firmly.

–I don’t want to, but I need a cauldron, and at some stage I’ll be expected to buy ingredients for independent study. My robes are too small; I can’t develop my pictures, I can’t even - MERLIN! I’ve only been here a week and can’t cope.”

–Because it’s all new to you and you’re getting used to it,” Genister replied. –Were your results really that bad? I can’t believe it if you’re doing Potions.”

–They weren’t brilliant, and the ones I did well in aren’t useful to him. So he wanted me to leave and join the family business.”

–Your dad’s a jeweller, isn’t he?”

–A gem dealer. He has interests in mines around the world. The reason he wanted me to take Ancient Runes is that it’s always useful when they discover new tombs to plunder. Same with Defence because many of these places are cursed. He doesn’t need someone who likes Muggle Studies and Potions.”

–Doesn’t he need someone to liaise with Muggles?” she queried.

Aaron shrugged. –He employs others for that.” He didn’t add that Nathaniel Harper would not countenance his sons’ mixing with Muggles.

–Why didn’t you tell Professor Zabini any of this?”

Aaron struggled to think how to phrase his words. –Dad thinks the Professor is a blood-traitor for marrying a half-blood.”

Her eyes widened. –But you don’t think that.” It wasn’t a question. She was quite certain he was not prejudiced and for that he was grateful.

–Course not.”

–Only...” Genister bit her lip.

–What?” he asked.

–You don’t like Hugo,” she said, –and he’s a half-blood.”

–Weasley doesn’t like me,” he countered. –And being a half-blood isn’t the reason I dislike him.”

–Why, then? Surely, the house system doesn’t bother you anymore. It’s so outdated.”

–Doesn’t matter,” he mumbled. Then searching for something to distract her, he asked, –Why haven’t you told your parents you’re seeing Weasley? What’s wrong with him?”

–Little thing called surname,” she muttered.

There was an uncomfortable silence. Aaron debated whether to leave her as she clearly didn’t want to say anymore, but she’d pried into his life, so...

–You don’t have to tell me,” he offered, –but maybe it’ll be good to talk to someone.” And your dad probably has the right idea about that arse.

She sank to the floor, hugging her knees to her chest. –Was your dad ever a Death Eater? Or Imperiused?”

He shook his head. –He sympathised, I think, but basically kept out of it. He was abroad most of the time and hedged his bets.” Frowning, he lowered himself down next to her. –Your dad wasn’t involved, was he?”

–No, he wasn’t, but his brother was convicted. And Dad has always said Uncle Angus was Imperiused.”

–What’s that got to do with Weasley?” he asked, confused at the direction this conversation was going.

–After the Battle of Hogwarts, it was Ron Weasley that tracked him down. My uncle used the excuse of being Imperiused during the first war and got off. But they weren’t as lenient the second time and although he’s out of Azkaban, he’s old and bitter and won’t work again.” She groaned. –All the evidence I’ve read about my uncle’s trial shows he was a Death Eater and from a young age. My dad’s kidding himself if he thinks otherwise.”

Aaron blinked. This wasn’t what he’d expected or hoped to hear. He couldn’t very well take her parents’ side and put the boot into Weasley, not now he knew the reasons behind it were as misguided as his father’s. He started to mumble an apology, but she shook her head and then picked up the Potion’s book.

–Show me the notes you’ve made and let’s see if we can get this finished.”

–Sure,” he replied. Pulling out his notebook, he shifted a little closer to her and tried to concentrate on the chapter, and not how up close, Genister’s hair smelt of spring blossom.


–Hogsmeade weekend’s been announced,” Ewan said. He slid onto the bench next to Aaron, and started to help himself to chips. –Why aren’t you more excited?”

Aaron mimed a yawn. –Let me guess. In a fortnight - just in time for Halloween.”

–Er, well, yeah, but Halloween’s great, don’t you think?” Ewan sounded uncertain as if he was missing something. –We always have a great time in Weasleys’, buying up the tricks, and this year as I’m seventeen I can get us both Firewhisky.” He beamed at Aaron. –It’ll be epic!”

–I’ll think about it,” he replied dismissively. Hopefully, by the time Halloween came around, Ewan would have forgotten the arrangement or else have found himself a girlfriend and be begging Aaron not to join them. Although the way Ewan was slurping his pumpkin juice, Aaron wasn’t sure any girl would want to snog him. Pushing his plate to one side, he rose from the table.

–You not eating that?”

–Not after watching you. Can’t you at least close your mouth when you drink? It’s like watching a two year old.”

Ewan laughed and wiped his mouth with his sleeve. –Oy, come back, you wuss!”

–I’m off for a walk,” Aaron called back, holding up his camera.

He sauntered outside with a lightness he didn’t quite feel. He had no more films for his camera and only a few pictures left on the reel, but he wanted to get this last set developed. There were some of Sophia on there, and others from home that he was interested in seeing. He’d have to pay for the development, but Professor Trescothick had assured him he could still use the dark room and only pay cost price. It might take all his Galleons, but an idea was starting to form in his mind.

Sitting outside, perched on a tree stump by the lake, he could see a figure. He smiled as he recognised her and raised his hand, pleased when she waved back.

–I thought you Ravenclaws spent all your time tucked away in the library, not outside enjoying fresh air?” he teased.

–I’m waiting-”

–Let me guess. You’re waiting for Weasley?”

She sighed. –Yes, he’s late.”

–He’s always late, Gen,” Aaron replied. She pulled a face. –Well, it’s true.”

–It’s not that,” she replied. –I don’t like being called Gen. Besides he isn’t always late.”

He raised his eyebrows in disbelief, but she looked away, staring out over the lake at the birds skidding the surface as they swooped. Slowly he lifted his camera and took a shot.

–You should ask before you do that,” she called. –My hair must is all over the place in this breeze.”

He walked closer, hardly knowing what he was doing and tentatively stretched out his hand to smooth a lock of her hair behind her ear. She didn’t pull away not even when his thumb tip accidentally stroked her neck. –Looks good to me,” he murmured. –May I?”

She took her time replying, but then nodded. –Hmm, well now I’m aware you’re taking it, I’ll probably look all posed,” she replied, her voice sounding casual.

–Just think of Weasley.” She glowered; he smiled. –Or Euphoria Potion. Imagine Zabini getting a lungful of it.”

She laughed then and in that instant he clicked the shutter.

–Unfair. I probably look like an Abraxan mare!” she exclaimed but she was still laughing.

–Never,” he replied. –Agh! That was the last. I need to develop them.”

–What do you do with your pictures?”

–I have albums, folders. Quite a big collection, but really I just flip through them and see what I could do better.” He sat on the grass next to her, looking up at her and trying to gage whether she really was interested or whether she was trying to kill time. She didn’t look bored.

–If I have to leave Hogwarts.”

–You won’t,” she said crisply.

–Thanks. But say I do? I was thinking that it doesn’t mean I have to follow my brothers into the business. The Prophet employs photographers, right? I might be able to get an apprenticeship, or something.”

–Good idea,” she said warmly, –but it won’t work.”

–Why not?” Did she know something about the paper? Would they refuse to take someone on without NEWTs?

–Because I’m not about to lose my Potions partner,” she replied. –So you are going to have to hold tight for two years and then get a job there.” She slid off the tree stump and touched him gently on the arm. –I mean it, but if you do have to leave Hogwarts, I could have a word with Dad. He has some sway there.”

They were close now, knees touching and she hadn’t seemed to realise that she was still touching his arm. And she clearly didn’t know just what this was doing to him, how his heart was thumping loud enough to wake the dead. He bent his head down, intent only on touching his lips to her soft hair, but at that moment she moved and his mouth skimmed her cheek. He heard her breath stop (or was it his own?) and he tried to move away, but Genister had turned fully towards him now, doubt and worry struggling in her eyes.

–Aaron, don’t do this,” she whispered. –I’m seeing Hugo.”

But when she didn’t move away, Aaron lifted his hand to her cheek. –He keeps you waiting, all the time. No one should ever do that.”

–Please don’t,” she murmured, and then she edged backwards, whatever spell been between them, broken. –I can’t do this.”

–What’s going on?”

They both looked up, startled.

She recovered first, getting to her feet and shooting Hugo a placatory smile. –Nothing is going on, silly. I was waiting for you and Aaron was taking pictures.”

–Pictures, yeah right!” Hugo said angrily. –I’m not stupid. I saw you both.”

–What did you see?” Genister demanded. –I’m allowed to talk to people, aren’t I?”

–Do not start that again!” Hugo shouted. –When have I ever stopped you talking to people? It’s just him!”

–He’s a friend!”

–A friend that’s always alone with you,” Hugo retorted. –Always sneaking around you when I’m not here. You just can’t see what he’s like, Gen.”

–She doesn’t like that,” Aaron said.

–What?” Hugo glared at him.

–Being called ‘Gen’. As her boyfriend, you should know that. Just as you should know what time you’re supposed to meet up and not leave her hanging around.”

–Not that it’s got anything to do with you, but I was held up,” Hugo argued. He turned back to Genister. –Sorry, I was-–

–You always are, Weasley, –Aaron interrupted. –It’s like you have a completely different clock from the rest of us. There’s normal time, and then there’s Hugo time, and screw anyone else who dares to interrupt your busy schedule. What was it this time? A new prank to play? An owl from Mummy? Another laugh with one of your interminably unfunny cousins?”

–I forgot I was supposed to be patrolling, all right?” Hugo roared. He stepped away from Genister, approaching Aaron with menace in his eyes. –I’m a prefect, I have responsibilities, so I had to find someone to swap with. You, Harper, are nothing except a twat with a rich daddy who keeps making a move on my girl.”

–Your girl!” Aaron laughed. –Merlin, you’re pathetic. You don’t own her, and the least you could do is turn up when you’re bloody supposed to, instead of keeping her waiting.” He started to laugh. –Gryffindor chivalry, that’s a laugh. Unless it means fannying around on your arse all day, and living off Mummy and Daddy’s glory.”

Hugo lunged for him, one fist clenched as he took a swing. Aaron dodged, stumbling on the grass. He tried to keep his balance, but staggered backwards slipping down the bank and landing in the lake. With increased fury, Hugo launched himself on Aaron’s flailing form, little caring that both were getting wet.

–Stop this!” Genister screamed, her voice rising.

But neither were listening. Gaining some leverage from lakebed, Aaron pushed Hugo off him and tried to land a punch, but as Hugo swerved, his fist connected only with his chest.

Then he jerked back, and so did Hugo, as something wrenched them apart. –Protego!” Genister shrieked. Then taking a breath, she stood on the bank, glaring at them both.

–Aaron, this has nothing to do with you, so please leave.”

–Genister, I-”

–LEAVE!” she ordered.

As he waded out of the lake, he caught Hugo’s smug smile and glowered. –Your girl can’t protect you all the time, Weasley!”

–Yeah, bring it on, Harper!”

–Shut UP!” Genister ordered. –Hugo, get out of the lake and stop being a prat. It’s not Aaron’s fault that you can’t be bothered to meet me on time. It’s not as if he’s following me. And we’re friends, okay? That’s all. And you have to accept that.”

Her voice was trembling, but the words were clear. She stared straight at Hugo, her eyes entreating him and not once did she glance at Aaron.

Picking up his camera from the bank, he trudged back to the dungeons. He’d been an idiot, and had lost any chance he might have had with her, now or in the future. And when he got back to his dormitory, it hit him with all the force of a hex that he’d probably killed their friendship, too.

That night he slept badly, tossing and turning as he thought over his options. But when dawn broke, although he felt no happier, he was at least resolved.

It was Saturday and Professor Trescothick was setting up his classroom in a different way from his usual lessons. Instead of desks in rows, he’d cleared a space in the room, and arranged comfortable chairs, placing them around a large coffee table. On the table, he’d placed several cameras, small ones for the members to borrow, to get a feel for the medium so they could decide whether they were interested before they bought their own.

–Aaron,” he said in delight, –have you changed your mind?”

–Uh, no. I was wondering if I could develop my film. I have the money,” he said, and handed over three Galleons.

The professor sighed, his brown eyes staring at him sorrowfully. –I shall leave you to get on with it, Aaron. I know you’re more than capable.”

Smiling back, he made his way into the dark room, inhaling possibly for the last time, the wonderful smell of the chemicals used to process his film. But it was not the time for sentiment. These had to be developed well if he were to stand any chance with The Prophet.

He worked speedily but with care, concentrating all his efforts until at last he had a washing line of photographs becoming clearer as they dried. Sophia giggling as she played with her Pygmy Puff; the gardens from home, too neat for Aaron’s taste; excited children at the station, their parents trying not to look bereft.

Genister, before she knew he was taking a shot, looking for all the world as if she were sad and not waiting in happy anticipation for her boyfriend. He frowned, dismissing the thought. She’d made it very clear she was with Weasley, and no amount of wishful thinking would change that. But the last picture floating in the developing fluid began to appear, and there she was laughing. An ‘Abraxan mare’, she’d called herself, but all he could see was her smile and the way her eyes were dancing.

–Merlin, you’re beautiful,” he murmured and lifted out the picture letting it dry on the line with the others.

There was a rap at the door. –Have you finished?”

–Yes. I’ll be out in a minute.”

–No, I want to show them around,” the professor said, creaking the door open. He turned back to the pupils. –This is Aaron, my star pupil. He hadn’t picked up a camera until his fourth year, and now look.”

–Uh, sir, they’re not -” He stopped speaking because he could now see she was there, standing at the back of the group, her eyes locking with his.

The other club members moved into the room, examining his pictures, giggling when they recognised themselves on the platform, and he shuffled back until he was standing next to her.

–You’re serious about leaving, then?” she said, and he thought he heard her sigh.

–I don’t think there’s any point delaying the inevitable,” he replied.

–It’s barely been half a term and you’re giving up!”

–Leaving on my own terms,” he stated.

He thought he caught a glimmer of a tear in her eyes, but he must have been mistaken because when she looked back at him, she was smiling. –Good luck.”

When he returned the following day to collect his photographs, Professor Trescothick was there, setting out more cameras on the table. –Running two classes this year, sir?”

–They’re an enthusiastic bunch,” the professor replied. –Just rather a lot of them, and a waiting list, too.” The Professor paused. –I did wonder...” He shook his head. –No, you’re busy.”

–Wonder what?” Aaron asked politely.

The professor rolled up his list, wrapping a ribbon around it. –I need help. Photography Club has never been so popular, and none of the other teachers are interested, so I was wondering if you’d be my assistant.”

–I can’t, sir. I have too much-”

–You’re not overstretched, Harper, and it would only be twice a week.”

–No, I-”

–It’s paid -not that that’s a consideration for you, but -”

–Paid?”

–I will pay eight Galleons a session and free use of all the equipment?” Aaron gaped. –What do you say?”

He forgot to be cool, forgot that he had this other plan to take The Prophet by storm. All he could think was that this man was handing him a chance to stay, and even if Genister would never go out with him, at least he had a chance to repair their friendship.

–Thank you, sir,” he breathed, and couldn’t stop the grin from splitting his face in two.

He ran from the classroom, taking the stairs three at a time, desperate to find the only two people who would understand. He saw a girl in the Entrance Hall, her dark brown hair swishing from side-to-side as she dominated the conversation with her friends.

–SOPHIA!” he shouted.

–Merlin, Aaron, where’s the fire?” she grumbled, then started to shriek when he picked her up and twirled her in the air.

–I can stay,” he shouted. –I’ve got money, a job. I won’t have to leave!”

Her delight was unmistakeable, and she joined in his happiness whilst slyly reminding him that he owed her five Galleons.

–You’ll get it,” he promised. –And more.”

–Get yourself some robes first, you idiot. And for the love of Merlin, PUT ME DOWN!”

–Nope, I’m having fun embarrassing you in front of your friends.” He hoisted her higher, still grinning at her flushed face.

–It’s not me that will be embarrassed,” she hissed, then looking over his shoulder said, –Hi, Genister, have you come to put us in detention for making a noise? It’s not my fault, Aaron’s the one to blame.”

Practically dropping her on the floor, Aaron tried to look suave, but with his flushed face and the smile still ingrained on his face, he knew he must look an idiot.

Still giggling, Sophia pulled her friends away, leaving Aaron facing Genister.

–Prophet been back to you already?” she said, and started to walk away. –Congratulations.”

–No, it’s not that.”

She stopped walking and twisted her head back to him. –What’s happened then?”

–Trescothick needs an assistant for Photography Club,” he replied. –He’s going to pay, and it’s not a fortune, but it’s money and I can buy a cauldron, and robes and even a new Potions book.”

She turned fully then, her smile mirroring his own. –Oh, wow, that’s fantastic. I’m so pleased for you.”

He cleared his throat, heartened that she hadn’t walked off yet. –Look, Genister, I’m sorry about the other night. I shouldn’t have tried to kiss you - or drown Weasley.”

She gnawed the side of her mouth. –Hugo says you only tried to kiss me because you knew he was there and were trying to wind him up. Is that true?”

He laughed in disbelief. –Do I look as if I have a death wish? Winding up a Weasley is a sure way to get hexed by the rest of them. You said you couldn’t do it, Genister. I’ve got the message, and promise not to try anything again, but I don’t want to lose you as a friend.”

She blushed and stared at her feet. –I meant I couldn’t do it to Hugo, not that I couldn’t kiss you, but um... that’s not an issue anymore.” Looking up, she smiled nervously. –We split up last night.”

–Split up? Why?” he asked, not daring to breathe or even think.

–Because I realised something,” she murmured. –Hugo’s great. He makes me laugh and I have loved spending time with him, but -” She broke off and took a deep breath. –I can’t stop thinking about you. I kidded myself that it was because you were my friend, but yesterday when I thought you were leaving, I realised I felt far more for you than friendship, and well, that wasn’t fair on Hugo.”

–Oh.”

–Is that all you can say?”

He took a step closer, and then another –I’m better with pictures than words,” he muttered, then cringed at the corny line. Taking her hand, he pulled her close and cupped her face, marvelling at her beautiful cyan-coloured eyes. –Hogsmeade, next weekend. Will you come with me?”

She didn’t reply, but as her lips met his and she entwined her fingers in his hair, he knew her answer. And now, it was as if a camera had flashed and the term which had started in dark shadow, was now lit with endless possibilities.
End Notes:
That's all ... for now. Aaron, Genister and Hugo may well be back in a chaptered story soon.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=92009