"The Kiss" by Writ Encore
Summary: It was nothing more than a kiss.



This is Kuri of Ravenclaw House writing for the ‘Remember Me’ prompt of the Great Hall Chapter Challenge.
Categories: Other Pairing Characters: None
Warnings: Mild Profanity, Pottermore Spoilers
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: No Word count: 3193 Read: 1784 Published: 09/20/12 Updated: 09/27/12

1. Chapter 1: "The Kiss" by Writ Encore

Chapter 1: "The Kiss" by Writ Encore
–The Kiss”

The barman flipped things in the air and kept on with his steady stream of beer and conversation. The festive warmth welcomed the crowd, a jaunty mix of folks. At night time, nobody walked through laden with shopping bags filled with bulging purchases. The proprietor of the Three Broomsticks, the man of the hour, a few late hours, wore nothing more than a knit turtleneck over casual trousers. Glasses flowed with mead and thick liquors, expensive ones, and he racked his till with ease.

The lights floating around the place and the decorated Christmas trees added a festive touch.

–That’s that,” he said, wiping down his counter with a rag. People went out in small groups, threes and fours, and hopefully found their beds. The few who stayed behind nursed their drinks.

She came along to the party because he had asked her. Elphinstone Urquhart stroked his chin and watched the girl. She was pretty, and young, too, pretty young. The students came out their school and fled into the Ministry. She sat at a dirty table, tapping her foot, and stared out of the window. Her dark hair was pinned back in this perfect knot. A quiet one, none of the officers had said more than a polite hello during this little gathering.

The barman pointed himself a drink and muttered under his breath. –Is she mute?”

–No, of course not,” said Elphinstone, shaking the ice in his glass. He punched the barman in the arm when he muttered under his breath; he caught a hint of a joke about the nunnery. –Mitchell!”

–She sits like one,” said Mitchel, wiping the drink off his hands. He took his drink in one gulp and cleared his throat. –Girl!”

She looked at him, surprised. Elphinstone flipped though his large volume and pretended to read. Mitchell snapped his fingers, demanding a name. Elphinstone answered him, embarrassed. The two of them had been friends for a long time, and good old Mitch got the last word. Always. The barman gestured with his hand until she rose from her chair and gave him a questioning look.

He offered her a night cap.

–No, thank you,” she said, glancing at the lit tree and touching her hair nervously.

Mitchell squeezed a lemon over a drink and it across the bar. –Sit down, Professor.”

Mitchell played with the last word. He met her with a smirk and she stopped the glass with her hand. She sat down. Elphinstone raised his glass, a small smile touching his lips. Of course, he thought, they’d placed her in an awkward spot. Here she was, this girl, caught with the reminder of a rushed resignation and accepting a promising career. He regretted inviting her.

–I’m Mitch.” She nodded. He went back to his cleaning. –Yeah, we heard about your appointment, miss. I didn’t poison that.”

She took sip, humouring him, her eyes streaming.

Elphinstone laughed, shaking his head. He clipped his tone, pulling a straight face. –That is not funny.”

–It’s just sad,” said Mitchel, pouring another dose. He raised his glass and toasted her. She mirrored him, curious and annoyed, and drained it. –Welcome home, girl.”

–What’s that?” She cupped the glass.

–A quiver,” said Elphinstone, reading a selection off the inventory. –It’s two shots of whiskey blended with Tyndale’s Tonic. Mitch, that’s a brew.”

–Yes.” The barman delighted in the scolding and rubbed his hands together, quite pleased with his concoction. –What say you, miss?”

–No, no, really, I thank you.” She waved down another and gripped the countertop. She reached out and Elphinstone caught her hand. They left the pub, Mitch chatting them out the door, and she dropped Elphinstone’s hand. They walked in the dark, and she wrapped her cloak tightly around her frame.

–Minerva.” He cleared his throat.

–Mr Urquhart.” She nodded when he thanked her for attending the department party. They walked past closed shops and lampposts. The stories of officers, her colleagues, didn’t seem to faze her, so he kept talking. –I wish you’d just say it.”

–And John’s going to miss your drafting and your organisation,” he said, back tracking. –I’m sorry?”

–You’re disappointed in me. Shame to place hours of work into nothing, isn’t it?” She looked straight at him. Elphinstone licked his chapped lips and fumbled in his pockets. She took that as an answer and stepped onto the school grounds. She quickened her step and tucked at her neck. There was nothing there. –Good night, sir.”

He spoke to the black trees in the distance. –No.”

She stopped, inches from the gate. He caught up with her, marshaling his thoughts. He pulled off his silk scarf off and draped it over her shoulders. A light, a lantern held aloft, was carried by a man in a winter coat. A fat white cat, a puff on four legs, trotted along in his wake. The walrus and the cat shared bits of crystallized pineapple, oblivious to the world.

Elphinstone tucked a loose strand behind her ear.

–I never meant to hurt you.”

She nodded. Elphinstone touched her face and lifted for chin, forcing her to look at him. What was he going to say to her? He exhaled. Next moment, her soft lips brushed against his, and Elphinstone completely lost his train of thought. Then he dropped his. She blushed. Minerva opened the gate and walked away from him. The gate clanged shut, and he stood there in the cold, struck completely dumb.

***


–The Wedding”

The kiss led to another. They kept their distances from each other; or rather, he kept his distance from her. He was at a loss for words because he didn’t know the next move. Elphinstone clearly didn’t understand women. He’d lasted nearly sixty years with no ring on his finger. One thing was clear, though, it was his move. He took his time contemplating it, too, for it had to be a good one. The proposals didn’t count. Well, the last one did because it worked in his favour.

They had returned to the school right after visiting the Ministry. She had wrapped her hair in a braided bun and wore a simple dress he had purchased for her. He had waited for years and years for something that had passed in seven minutes’ time. She wore the silver band on her hand, coupled with the expensive emerald he’d purchased ages ago when he’d first asked her in the stuffy tea shop.

–You like it?” He searched through her wardrobe for a travelling cloak.

She left the jewel on the clean basin as she washed her hands. –It’s beautiful.”

He nodded, pleased with his choice. He’d picked all of her jewellery out by himself. He draped the cloak over his arm and walked over to her. She dried her hands and put the rings on her hand. –She’ll kill me. Your niece.”

A soft smile touched Minerva’s lips. –Why?”

–Well, tonight’s her night, isn’t it?” Elphinstone checked his pockets and jingled spare change. A knapsack lay on the bed with a scarf draped over it. –She’s getting married.”

–Sofia? She gets a weekend.” Minerva didn’t look in the mirror as she passed and gathered her things. Realising she’d forgotten something, she went into the bathroom again scanned the place. She let him drape the cloak over her shoulders. They walked out into the corridor and the door with her wand, locking it. –She’s my father’s favourite, so Sofia gets whatever she wants.”

She kept her hand on a drawstring bag and hurried down the Grand Staircase. Few students stayed at the school over Christmastime, and those who did kept shooting Elphinstone double takes. Minerva ignored them, a little uncomfortable, but Elphinstone just grinned from ear to ear, alight with happiness.

Professor Dumbledore met them at the foot of the steps. She glanced over her shoulder, confused. He handed over a copper saucepan and a stirring spoon. –For your favourite, not that you have one.”

–Oh.” She laughed, embarrassed and took the kitchen things. Elphinstone offered to carry her bag and opened the doors. –I’d forgotten. Thank you.”

Professor Dumbledore waved her concern away with his hand and wished them a good night. Elphinstone glanced at the handsome Christmas trees that filled the Great Hall as they left the grounds. It was a nice, inviting view to anyone standing outside in the cold. He remembered spending a few Christmases here in his school days. They went through the gates and she took his hand without him even putting it out there.

–Someone’s going to think something’s wrong with you.” She laughed, shaking her head. A clanging sound echoed through the night. Elphinstone snatched the saucepan from her and banged the life out of it. –Well, the whole village’s up now.”

Drunken laughter answered him from a nearby door. –It’ll be a fun night.”

He put an arm over her shoulder and nudged her inside the Three Broomsticks. The crowd raised their glasses and shouted holiday wishes. People filled the place, as usual, and a crowd of young girls got their hands in the fun. A chubby girl with thick dark locks wore a shimmering scarf and a red dress. Her shoes dangled from her hand, so that only her stretched stockings touched the ground.

Mitch was in his element of serving drinks and telling lies. When he spotted Minerva, who shook her head vehemently, he pounded his fist on his bar and cleared his throat.

–Ladies and gentlemen, one moment!” He slammed two bottles onto the bar and prepared for yet another round. –Newlyweds got entered my pub. What’s this?”

–I hate your friend,” said Minerva hastily as people flooded them with congratulations: friends, strangers, regulars. They pulled her away from him and she thanked them, wishing to get the worst part over with as quickly as possible without being rude.

–Look at that.” said Mitch, rushing over to have a quick word. He met Minerva’s icy glare with an animated smile. He poured a glass and drank to her. –She hates me again. All is right with the world again.”

–Really?” Elphinstone took a barstool as Mitch announced the taking out party. He cleared his throat and muttered the young blushing bride’s name when Mitch looked at him in askance. –Miriam Sofia McGonagall.”

–Let me play.” Mitch took his queue and waved the girl over. Sofia came over, carrying the pot from her aunt. She looked nice, though the outfit did nothing to hide her secret. Elphinstone had known the girl for ages, and now he saw her, he understood the quiet Christmas wedding. Mitch smirked at her and planted a kiss before he tossed a few Galleons into the pot. –Nice.”

–Thanks.” Sofia tucked a loose strand behind her ear as the crowd squealed with laughter.

–Little girl.” Elphinstone tapped her on her shoulder and pecked her with a quick one. He handed over coins and placed his Ivy cap atop her curls. –Where’s your lucky man?”

–No idea.” She hugged him, giggling when he tipped in a couple Knuts, asking for some more time. She wore no makeup and fanned her hand. –She looks happy. She’s just met Kingsley.”

–Who’s that?” Elphinstone took a second drink.

Kingsley, it turned out, was a young black man who had accepted the charge as the best man. He was the groom’s best friend, the man who might actually get a fool down the aisle. Sofia and her fiancé, Christopher Abercrombie, had been together for right or nine years now. They’d cancelled this wedding once before because Sofia’s grandfather had fallen ill. Elphinstone wondered what men did at a gathering like this one. He was there because Minerva had dragged him along after their small ceremony. He watched Minerva and Kingsley chatting in the corner and shooting looks at Sofia. They shared a joke and Minerva tossed her head.

–Is your man at his stag night without his man?” Elphinstone handed her a glass of red wine. –He’s watching you like a hawk, miss.”

–Oh, that was last night. They’re swapping stories.” Sofia clearly hadn’t anything from the bachelor party yet and rested her hand on her belly. –Kingsley’s really antsy about kids.”

–No.” Mitch nodded at her and didn’t meet her eyes as he flipped drinks for her friends. –You hear me? We’re not even going there. No.”

She took a sip of wine and handed the glass back to Elphinstone. She kissed him again and he emptied his pockets. She said conversationally that it was nice to finally have an uncle. He took her hand and squeezed it, letting her go. As she turned, she caught a glimpse of Mitch kissing Elphinstone, who had been taken by surprise, all in good fun. Sofia knocked into a table, shocked, struggling to breathe through her laughing fit. The wedding party would have a good story.

Elphinstone pushed him away, taken off his guard. –If you ever do that again …”

–… and a Happy Christmas to you, too, Justice,” said Mitch, playing with his court seat. He turned back to his customers and went on with his work as though nothing had happened. –She’s a good sport.”

Sofia went up to bed about an hour later and the party died down. She took the nicest upstairs bedroom and Minerva and Elphinstone took the one across the corridor. They left the door open, so Elphinstone took a candle off the bedside cabinet and invited himself inside to say a quick goodnight. A grunt frightened him and he took a cautious step back. The lump, cocooned in light blankets, was the best man. Elphinstone raised an eyebrow, curious, yet he decided to ask no questions.

Sofia, dressed in her bed things, stepped out of the bathroom, scurried over to the bed and fell onto it. Her gown hung on a hook and the saucepan stood atop a trunk at the end of the bed. She threw another pillow down to Kingsley, taking careful aim for his head. She missed. –He won’t leave.”

–Good night, Sofia,” said Kingsley, saying this with an air as though they’d been through this.

Elphinstone guessed that Christopher was a paranoid fellow who likened his wife, fiancée, whatever Sofia was in his eyes, to a ticking time bomb. He smiled; he liked this man. Sofia snatched another pillow and threw the covers over her body. Elphinstone sat at the foot of the bed and waited until she got comfortable, or at any rate, stopped struggling and gave up.

–I hate this,” she whined, staring at the ceiling. Kingsley shifted in his covers. –No, just sleep. You’re turning into Christopher. You’re freaking me out.”

Kingsley turned over and muttered under his breath, a smile on his face all the while. Elphinstone caught something along the lines of timing.

–You know what, Shacklebolt, sir?” Sofia made to get up from the bed and sank back down into her comfort a minute later. Sofia closed her eyes. –We love you.”

–That’s why I’m always safe.” Kingsley spoke in a deep reassuring tone and Elphinstone thought he was a good pick for this, getting these two people down the aisle with their second shot. Sofia, Elphinstone had gathered at the party, had left Christopher at the altar last time out of fear. Ignoring their old guest, Kingsley cleared his throat and waded through the silence. –Are you ready?”

–I love him,” said Sofia, speaking in a small voice.

–Yes.” Kingsley spoke matter-of-factly. –That’s an open door, you know, and I won’t stop you. I’m here for Christopher’s family, and Christopher, and you, for you are his family, regardless, and Ryan.”

–I know.” Sofia sounded on close to tears.

–Is that what you’re calling him? Ryan?” Elphinstone felt rather awkward intruding on their private moment and desperately wanted to lighten the mood. He didn’t want Sofia to cry.

–Or her,” said Kingsley, still trying to catch Sofia’s eye. –We didn’t want to steal Christopher’s name. Christopher Ryan Euan Jackson Royce Abercrombie, the fourth: it’s a lengthy one.”

Elphinstone cursed and whistled. –Poor kid! Imagine scribbling that signature. Why would you do that? The reverend’s going to have a mouthful tomorrow morning.”

Sofia gave a watery chuckle, so Elphinstone got the response he wanted. Satisfied, he tapped Sofia’s swollen feet before he stood up and headed towards the door. He repeated the name and waved good night to them. –Ryan.”

He closed the door, crossed the corridor and stepped into the other bedroom.

–Tell me you didn’t.” Minerva called from the bed and surprised him, for Elphinstone was used to being alone at night. Elphinstone flipped through his mind to remember what had happened. She’d heard the floating rumour about the barman and the old man.

–I got nothing for it.” Elphinstone feigned disappointment and crossed his legs. She sat on the other side and considered him. He raised his hand and took her hair down. –I’ve never kissed him before. Tastes like aftershave. You think his wife knows?”

Minerva draped her arm over him. –I haven’t the slightest idea. You’ve both lost your minds.”

He shrugged it off. –Kiss me.”

Colour flushed her face as she stopped his hands. –Sofia.”

–Oh? Right, yes.” He rolled onto his side and felt bedsprings creak when she lay down beside him. It took her a while to get comfortable and she just punched the pillow and closed her eyes. He felt her lips on the back of his neck and took her hand. He played the party over his head and watched the minutes tick away on a loud clock. –Minerva?”


–Yes?” She spoke softly in her sleep.

–Sofia called me her uncle.” He waited, not wanting to give away everything he’d heard minutes before. It came off as uncertainty. –And- and I like this Christopher fellow.”

–She’s been doing that for ages.” Minerva sighed deeply and thought through her words. –Remember when you asked me last summer? When I told you that I’d spoken with a friend, who did you think I was talking about? Christopher will be delighted to hear it.”

–Oh.” Elphinstone let that sink in. –Can she be my favourite, too?”

Minerva patted his arm, telling him to go to sleep and wished him good night. He’d been retired from the Ministry for some time, and he hadn’t thought that she’d been planning this wedding along with her usual lessons and duties. Tomorrow, they’d visit the Reverend McGonagall and attend another ceremony, a garden one. She’d been running nonstop to make this a special memory for Sofia. He listened to her sleep and waited for morning.
End Notes:
This is just a small story that popped into my head. I hope you enjoyed the read. Reviews are appreciated.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=92137