Little Piece of Heaven by mugglebornslytherin
Summary: A little story about the best piece of news the Potters received one snowy day.
Categories: James/Lily Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1994 Read: 2550 Published: 12/15/12 Updated: 12/21/12

1. Little Piece of Heaven by mugglebornslytherin

Little Piece of Heaven by mugglebornslytherin
Author's Notes:
DISCLAIMER: I am not J.K. Rowling, no matter how many birthday candles I blow out.
I stared in disbelief at the offending white stick on the bathroom counter. It just couldn't be right! I mean, these Muggle inventions often just guess the outcomes and aren't as accurate as our magical ones; but this was the fifth pregnancy test I had done with the same positive answer. I sat gingerly on the side of the bath before my legs gave out and ran my hand through my hair, a bad habit I had picked up from James.


James! How was I going to tell him? We've only been married less than a year. I know it doesn't sound bad, but we had gotten married right out of Hogwarts, when we just were both eighteen. We're still just teenagers! How can we be nineteen and raise a child? Especially with the world the way it is at the moment, with Lord Voldemort gaining power and getting stronger every day. I just hope that Dumbledore and the Order are strong enough to destroy Voldemort soon.


I grabbed a lock of my red hair and began to chew it. I used to do this when I was younger to calm myself down, and luckily it still worked. My heart rate decreased to its normal rhythm and my breathing slowed considerably. After that life changing piece of news, I glanced into the mirror above the white sink to see if there were any noticeable changes. Apart from the fact I was chewing my hair like a five-year old, I looked pretty much the same. My green eyes were sparkling with excitement and my cheeks were flushed, but that was pretty much it. I dropped the piece of hair out of my mouth and stared at my reflection until it fully hit me. James and I were going to have a baby! We were going to get that extra bit of happiness and become a family. Without any conscious thought, my mouth broke into a huge grin and my face shone with glee.

–I'm going to be a mum!” I whispered excitedly to the mirror, running my both my hands through my hair and resting them on my neck.


I heard the door slam and instantly thought the worst.

–Hello?” a cheery male voice called.

I relaxed and let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. I broke into a smile when I realized it was just Sirius Black, James's best friend. I got up off the side of the bath and hid the positive pregnancy stick with the others behind the toilet.

–Up here, Dog-breath!” I shouted, using my nickname for him as I exited the bathroom and made my way down the stairs.

–Hey, Evans,” Sirius said, giving me a small wave from the bottom of the stairs.

Back in Hogwarts, Sirius was a notorious womaniser, using his longish black hair and steely grey eyes as traps to snare his prey. His smiles came easily and those and his ridiculously good looks made girls instantly fawn all over him. Back then, I never really liked him that much because of his reputation to date girls and dump them just as quickly but since I had got together with James, we have become good friends. I got to the bottom of the stairs and gave him a quick hug.

–Prongs about?” Sirius asked, taking off his thick coat and hanging it up before following me into the kitchen.

–He popped out to get some shopping but he'll be home soon,” I said as I flicked on the kettle. –Want one while you wait?” I asked, grabbing my favourite green mug from the draining board next to the sink.

–Nah, I'll pass. I'll have some Firewhiskey if you have some going, though.”

I smiled as I grabbed a glass and handed it to him. –You know where it is.”

Sirius grabbed the glass and bounded toward the liquor cabinet located in the living room.


As I waited for the kettle to boil (when we first moved in, I insisted on having some Muggle appliances to help me adjust. James isn't allowed to touch them, though. First time we made toast, he nearly set fire to the whole house!), I leant against the grey counter and imagined our life with a baby in it. In my mind's eye, I could see a high chair next to the table, drawings on all the walls, baby toys everywhere, so much mess it would be near impossible to move, and James and I, holding our little piece of Heaven on the sofa, so happy in that moment that nothing would have to change. I smiled at the images and felt my heart fill with absolute bliss. I folded my arms protectively over my stomach as I thought of the miracle growing inside my womb. I'll keep you safe no matter what, I promise, I thought to the baby, wishing it could understand and believe what I told it.

–What are you looking so happy about, Evans?” I snapped out of my fantasy to see Sirius sitting at the table with an open bottle of Firewhiskey in one hand and a half-full glass in the other.

–Nothing,” I said innocently. The kettle clicked off and I began making my tea. –And stop calling me 'Evans', it's 'Potter'. It has been 'Potter' for nearly a year now.”

–Yeah, but you'll always be 'Evans' to me, Evans.” He smirked behind his glass. –Besides, you're not cool enough to be a 'Potter'.”

I fished out the teabag from my mug with my spoon and fired it straight into his face. Sirius gave out a high pitched squeal loud enough to rival any five-year-old girl and began frantically wiping his face with his hands. I giggled and started to stir my tea.

–Sure you're man enough for those balls, Sirius?” I raised my eyebrow jokingly.

–You're evil, Lily Evans Potter,” Sirius growled at me as I sat across from his.

–Thank you. It's a gift, really,” I smiled and took a sip of my tea.

–Want me to Irish up your tea?” he asked, gently shaking the bottle at me.

I changed the subject, not wanting to go into why I couldn't drink. –James will go spare if you keep drinking our drinks.” I pointed to the bottle.

–No, he won't. Come on, just a drop?” He moved the bottle towards my mug.

I put my hand over the mug. –No thanks, Sirius, I can't.”

–Can't or won't?”

–Can't.”

–Why not? You love Firewhiskey in your tea. You once said that it tasted weird without it. You pregnant or something?”

I looked down at my mug and tapped my wedding ring against it. I peeked a look at Sirius after a few seconds of silence and saw that his usual joking expression has transformed into a mixture of shock and joy. His mouth had dropped open and his grey eyes had become as large as plates. The bottle fell hard on the table and a large breath flew out from him. I guess he knows now, I thought, then grudgingly realized that the first person who found out wasn't even the father!


A loud 'crack' moments later announced James's arrival into the house. I ran towards him and gave him an almighty hug. The shopping fell to the floor as he put his arms around me. I leant my head back and gave him a sound kiss on the lips. Electricity flowed through me once more and I pulled away before I ached for something more. His hazel eyes glittered behind his round wire framed glasses and his cheeks were slightly red from the winter's air.

–Welcome home,” I said softly. –Sirius is in the kitchen.”

James smiled. –That's great!” He looked at my face again and furrowed his brow. –What's the matter?”

Wow, nothing escaped him. –Nothing, it's just,” I pulled my arms from his neck and placed them on his chest, –I think I broke Sirius.”

James's eyes filled with confusion and he walked briskly to the kitchen. Sirius still wore the same expression on his face. James put his hands on his friend's shoulders and shook him gently.

–Sirius! Are you all right? What's happened?” James looked intensely worried.

–Pregnant?” Sirius whispered, snapping out of his shock just enough to give a small smile at James.

–Who is? Wha–” James slipped his hands from Sirius's shoulders as he put it together in his head. He turned to face me, his expression shockingly similar to Sirius's. –Is this true? Are you serious?”

–No, he's Sirius,” I said, nodding towards Sirius, who was still staring into space, but this time focusing on my belly. –I'm Lily.” I pointed to myself.

–Lily!” James whined desperately, obviously not in the mood for an old joke at that moment.

I smiled and nodded shyly. James broke out into a massive grin and Sirius leapt up out of the chair and began whooping loudly. James picked my up by the waist and spun me around the kitchen.

–You're amazing! You're amazing!” James kept shouting as we spun.

He soon put me down and started kissing me passionately. We were interrupted by Sirius too soon, who trapped us in a group hug.

–I'm gonna be an uncle! A bloody uncle!” Sirius shouted. He moved suddenly, breaking the hug unexpectedly and kneeling at my stomach. –You are going to be the best wizard in the entire world!” Sirius's eyes glistened with unshed tears of joy.

–How are you so sure it's going to be a boy?” I asked, looking down at him. –It could be a girl.”

Sirius looked up and narrowed his eyes at me. –It will be a boy.” he said firmly.

–Just for that, I'm wishing for a girl.” My jest fell on deaf ears.

I just smiled and looked at James, who had now joined Sirius on the floor with his hand over his child.


Later, after Sirius had left in an extremely joyous mood – thanks to the many bottles of Firewhiskey – to tell everyone and anyone he was going to be an uncle, James and I laid out on the sofa. James's hands were resting over mine, which were on my belly as I stared into the gently dying fire. The light from the fire was reflected off of the tinsel and baubles on the Christmas tree in the corner of the room.

–I can't believe we're going to have a baby!” James murmured, stroking my stomach slightly.

–I have five positive Muggle pregnancy tests upstairs if you need assurance,” I joked, twisting my head round to smile at him.

–You know what I mean,” James said, kissing me on the nose. –Do you know when the little tyke's due?”

–No. I only found out I was pregnant this afternoon, so it won't be until next year, I think.” I smiled as I remembered the little pink cross on the stick show up.

–Well, we can go to St. Mungo's tomorrow.” James kissed my head and then poked me gently in the side. –Hey, we can even see if Sirius has any Seer blood in him!”

I narrowed my eyes jokingly at him. –You really would love a boy wouldn't you?”

James just shrugged. –Someone has to carry on the Potter name, and the guys and I would need to teach someone the ways of a Marauder.”

–If my child gets as many detentions as you did, James, I swear to Merlin, I will hex you into next century!”

–Don't worry, he won't,” he said and I relaxed. –We'll teach him not to get caught.” he muttered.

I smacked his chest then snuggled into it. –I love you, Potter,” I sighed.

–Love you too, Potter,” he whispered, giving me a small thrill by calling me by my married name.

I smiled and closed my eyes, holding on to the little piece of Heaven inside me before succumbing to sleep in James's arms.
End Notes:
My first story, please take five seconds to review it. Constructive criticism is always welcome.
If you liked it, there's an internet high-five coming at ya! ;)
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=92389