Waltz of Treachery by iLuna17
Summary: In one dance, everything Helga thought she knew comes crashing down around her. She should have known all things come to an end, especially in matters concerning a heartless toerag by the name of Salazar Slytherin.
Categories: Other Pairing Characters: None
Warnings: Sexual Situations
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1740 Read: 1080 Published: 02/05/13 Updated: 02/08/13
Story Notes:
Originally for the 2013 GH Cotillion, but my claim expired.

1. one-shot by iLuna17

one-shot by iLuna17
Author's Notes:
Many, many thanks to my simply fantastic beta, Maple! (Maple_and_PhoenixFeather)


–Lady Helga, might I have this dance?” Recognizing the cold, careless voice, Helga Hufflepuff whipped around, rudely ending the rather pleasant conversation she’d been having with Godric. All week she had been avoiding him, not wanting this moment to come, but it was ignorable now. Beside her, Godric stiffened. Between his pride, Salazar’s determination, and the secrets between the three, Helga wanted nothing more than to melt into the stone wall behind her. The fastly approaching conversation was not one she wanted to be involved in. Luckily, Rowena had noticed the gathering from across the hall and was silently weaving through the crowd, her rather sharp but lovely face and dark hair standing out. It always made Helga giggle when she thought about how much each of them looked like the animal they chose to represent their house. Rowena with her bird-like observance of everything, Godric with his wild mane of dull, brown hair, and Salazar, dark eyes as beady and empty as a snake’s.

Because Salazar was empty, as dead inside as the cold winter. Only a fool- or a Hufflepuff, as he would say -would deny it. More rosiness grew in Helga’s cheeks as anger added to the embarrassment. Younger than the other three founders by a few years, she had fought tooth and nail to prove that she was not some silly little child. But she still felt like a naïve imbecile around Salazar. Helga always did. There was just something about him that made her feel tiny.

–You better not be causing trouble,” Rowena hissed, interrupting Helga’s thoughts. –We’re so close to proving that Hogwarts is a legitimate, functioning school, and I will not have you two start a brawl over blood-purity tonight.” It was true; Rowena had invited the most prominent wizards in England to the castle for the week, but the tension between Salazar and Godric had reached a fever pitch. They used to be practically the same person, but things changed… Helga knew that better than anyone. Twisting a dull blonde curl, she looked away from Rowena’s piercing gaze.

–Why, I am doing nothing of the sort,” Salazar responded easily, his voice slippery and seemingly genuine. –I was merely offering Helga a dance when Godric was about to cause a ruckus.” Despite Helga’s firm belief Salazar was a sociopath at heart, her heart fluttered at his charm somewhere beneath the layers of anger. Merlin, was he charming. Nothing ever fazed him, and there was nothing he did not have a smooth and witty reply to. It frustrated Helga to no end, and she felt her eyes narrow further at the man.

–I know what you’re trying to do.” Fear seized Helga. Did Godric know? She couldn’t bear the shame if he did. –Just do what he wants before he starts a scene, Helga.”

Biting her lip, Helga could only nod as the terror left her body. She was sure Rowena hadn’t missed the small curve of Salazar’s dark lips, or how Helga had felt herself tense up at Godric’s first comment. The slight brush of his lips against her hand caused an even deeper blush, and Helga did not protest as she was whisked off into the middle of the floor. Inside, though, her thoughts were swirling faster than the limbs of a whomping willow.

–Why?” Helga asked bluntly as soon as the music and chatter was loud enough to cover their conversation. Salazar’s hand was tight almost- too tight -around her waist, sending a shiver up her spine as his eyes bore into hers. He was a good foot taller than her, and it added to the sense of inferiority.

–Can’t we just enjoy the ball?’ he replied with the frustrating air of innocence Helga knew far too well. –You’ve been scarce this week, and I missed your company.”

–Like hell you have,” she retorted. Never one to use foul language, a small smirk crept up her face as she saw Salazar’s look of surprise.

–Now, now, Helga. We mustn’t cause a scene.” The sarcasm and condescension in his voice made Helga want to scream.

–Why not? The others will find out eventually,” Helga replied with ease. Salazar twirled her around the other dancing pairs, an arrogant little smirk never leaving his face.

–Feisty tonight, aren’t we?” Everything Salazar did was with ease, and he effortlessly maneuvered Helga as he responded calmly.

–What? Am I too sassy for a Hufflepuff?” Helga challenged, knowing Salazar despised her house.

–You are supposed to be friendly and trusting, milady. Best leave the dramatics to the likes of Godric.” Salazar practically spat the words out, but now a small smile appeared on Helga’s face.

–Trust needs to be earned, Salazar. And you know better than anyone that I’m nowhere near docile.” With satisfaction, Helga noted the slight tinge of red to Salazar’s dark skin. Finally, in all the banter, she had found the chink in her dance partner’s armor.

–Then you would also know I am not the stonehearted villain you paint me to be,” he replied, never missing a beat. Because this was their relationship: meaningless banter with small jokes only they would understand. –Or do you forget?”

–How could I?” Though she tried to mimic Salazar’s lofty tone, it came out small and serious. The music slowed to a haunting waltz, and the façade of banter came crashing down.

–Come now, does little Helga not want to play anymore?” The coldness had returned to Salazar’s tone, and both of their walls were firmly back in place.

–I am not little, nor are you half as magnificent as you think you are,” she responded with equal iciness. Eyes narrowed, they moved in their circles. It was more of a fight and less of a dance now.

–You seemed to believe differently a few days, or rather nights, ago.” Salazar’s taunt brought a fresh blush to Helga’s cheeks, and she felt his gaze intensify, willing her to fight back. As much as she hated him, and he despised her, they were in need of each other’s company. Especially in the nights he mentioned.

–Do not speak these things so brazenly, or do you wish to be found out? Godric would rip you limb from limb,” she hissed, looking away to check no one had overheard.

–Godric does not inspire fear in me. He’s a silly little boy trying to act like a man,” Salazar spat, tightening his grip on Helga. Their faces were inches from each other now, and a glance to the side revealed Godric and Rowena worriedly observing their two friends.

–He would destroy you.” Helga managed equal anger and hatred in her voice. –You’re not a fighter; you’re weak. A slimy little liar who worms his way into everything and everyone, like a disease. You’re the scared little boy, Salazar. Muggles inspire fear in you.” Everything she had wished to say came rushing out, and Helga expected him to be stunned speechless at the cruelty in her words. She did not enjoy speaking in such a way, but Salazar brought out the worst in her.

Instead, he let out a hollow laugh, playing with one of her curls. –Oh, how foolish you are, little Helga. I am not scared of anyone, let alone the threats of a girl who has not yet reached two decades. Tell me, do you want me to go tell them? Do you want them to know of what we did?” Salazar’s eyes gleamed with rage, and he pulled Helga closer to him.

–Stop, people-– she tried, but the breaking point had finally been reached.

–Why not announce it to the world? Why not tell them all of what we did, of how you spent the past year with your legs wrapped around my waist? I’m sure they would love to know the gory details; how you laughed with delight, of how you fell in love with a man you hated. Tell them of how it was fire, of how you burned with desire for the evil Salazar Slytherin, of the stolen kisses that created the explosions in your chest, of how you felt with my body pressed into yours. Tell them how I loved you back, of how beautiful it felt to be lying next to you.” His nails dug into Helga’s skin as the swarm of memories came crashing back, of the sheer lust she and Salazar had shared. It was not love, though. He couldn’t love anyone, and she couldn’t love him back.

–I can’t love a man with no heart,” she responded coldly, not letting the shock he intended show. Salazar never spoke so openly of their relationship.

–It does not matter.” The song was slowing to its final beats, and Helga knew their dance, or whatever it was, was almost over. –I am leaving before the week is over.” Slowly, Salazar brushed his lips against her cheek, igniting the feelings she couldn’t ignore. Then, he slipped- like he was so good at -into the crowd, leaving Helga alone in the middle of the chaotic mess. Tears slipping down her cheeks, she ran to her chambers. Rowena and Godric would know, and he was leaving, and Helga felt more naïve and idiotic than ever.

How had she ever alluded herself that Salazar could care? He had used her and then disposed of her like a dirty cloth. All those nights spent entangled in what she had fooled herself into thinking was love, and Helga never realized how incapable Salazar was of emotions. It was as if she fell in love with a corpse, a person who is already dead.

She was the naïve little girl Salazar made her out to be. How else could she be so stupid, how could she have trusted him? Helga always told herself that her house was not worthless, that they were not fools. But she, the founder, was.

And sure enough, Salazar left in a blaze of glory, finally attacking Godric like he always said he would. Helga stood beside motionless and rigid as Salazar looked to her to defend his actions.

Luckily, that was the last Helga ever saw of the man that broke her.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=92542