You're Safe With Me by phoenix_tearPatronus
Summary: Teddy and Victoire. Victoire and Teddy. That's how it had always been. Growing up, the two had been best friends, but feelings change and even the best of friends can be divided.
Categories: Other Pairing Characters: None
Warnings: Strong Profanity
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 3492 Read: 1558 Published: 05/13/13 Updated: 05/21/13
Story Notes:
This is a companion piece to my fic Forever in her Shadow and fits in between chapters 3 and 4. It can be read as a stand-alone piece, but it'll make more sense if you read the other fic as well =) This is a very reworked version of my original GH Cotillion fic of the same name.

1. Chapter 1 by phoenix_tearPatronus

Chapter 1 by phoenix_tearPatronus
Author's Notes:
Thank you ever so much to the fabulous Maple and Ellie for betaing this piece for me =)

–Come on, Tori, it's not that high!” Teddy called from a high of the old oak tree that stood at the bottom of the Burrow's garden.

Victoire glared at the use of Teddy's nickname for her, but it was soon replaced by a look of fear once more. –Maman said --” she started, desperate for an excuse not to climb it without it being obvious that she was terrified of heights.

–Auntie Fleur didn't say anything, you're just too scared!” he teased.

–I'm not scared!” Victoire cried in protest.

–Well, prove it then!” Teddy challenged. Victoire stared up to where Teddy was standing, torn between fear and a sense of determination to prove Teddy wrong. After a minute, determination got the better of her and she started to climb.

She got about halfway up before she looked down. Once she saw how far she was from the ground, fear washed over her, leaving her frozen to the branch she was on. –Teddy, I can't! It's too high!” she cried, her voice shaking and her eyes brimming with tears.

Teddy scrambled down to where she was desperately clinging to the branch. –It's all right, Tori, I won't let you fall. You're safe with me.”






You're safe with me...

Victoire blinked back the tears that threatened to spill. Everything had been all right then; everything had been so simple. But now, now everything had changed. Why couldn't I have just pretended that everything was fine, that nothing had changed between us? If I had kept my mouth shut, I would still have my best friend by my side. Now he's engaged to that cow that claims she loves him and I can't do anything about it.

She could picture the old oak now. Not long after Victoire had tried to climb the tree, her dad and Uncle Charlie had decided to build a tree house up there, and Victoire and Teddy had often gone up there to hide from their younger cousins, who had a habit of latching themselves to the older two.

Victoire laughed softly to herself as she remembered the day before Teddy had gone to Hogwarts for the first time. She had felt so lost and upset that she had run away and hid in the tree house and only Teddy had known where to find her. They spoke for hours about Hogwarts and Teddy promised to write every week. He always kept that promise.

That was the thing about Teddy; he could always be relied on. Victoire couldn't remember a single time he had broken a promise. Well, until she came along. That manipulative bitch that Teddy fell in love with during his final year at school. Teddy and Victoire always went to Hogsmeade together, until one February, where Teddy decided to bring her along. Amelia Jenkins, the type of girl who could wrap any boy around her little finger just by shining a dazzling smile at them. The type of girl who would use anyone to get her own way. Blinking away tears once again, she remembered the argument she and Teddy had had when Teddy had first started going out with Amelia.




Victoire smiled as she saw Teddy standing outside the door of her common room. She knew he would be there, he always was, but she had a growing fear that he would forget about her.

–Ready to go?” Teddy asked, smiling. Victoire grinned back, slightly nervously. She had been feeling weird around Teddy recently, something she wasn't used to. She had started noticing little things about him, like how his brown eyes had little flecks of green in them and how he always frowned when he was concentrating.

–Yep. So where are we going to go first?” she asked, pushing her awkwardness to the back of her mind.

–I dunno, Honeydukes? Oh, and I told Amelia I would meet her in The Three Broomsticks at twelve.” Victoire stopped dead in her tracks.

–Wait, what? Since when are we meeting Amelia?” Victoire asked, confused.

–I asked her a couple of weeks ago. Didn't I tell you?”

–No, you didn't.” Victoire stared at Teddy. Hogsmeade trips had always just been them. It was their time to spend together. Being in separate years and different houses meant they didn't get to spend a lot of time together during the term time and so they would make the most of these trips to spend time together.

–Look, I know she's not exactly your favourite person in the world, but she's really nice once you get to know her. Please at least try to get along,” Teddy pleaded.

Victoire sighed. Of course he had to do the puppy eyes. How was she supposed to say no when he looked so hopeful? –Come on, we don't want to be late for your meeting with Amelia.” Teddy grinned at her, and the two made their way into the village. Victoire did her best to keep the conversation casual and to ignore the flutters in her stomach each time Teddy smiled at her.

Too soon, it was time to meet Amelia in The Three Broomsticks. Victoire was filled with a mixture of dread and anticipation as she saw Amelia smile and wave from a table in the corner of the crowded pub.

–I'm going to go and get us some drinks,” Teddy said once he had greeted Amelia. –You two can get the chance to talk.” He shot a glance at Victoire that clearly said –be nice” before he made his way over to the bar.

–So...” Victoire began awkwardly. She didn't like the sly grin that had appeared on the other girl's face once Teddy had walked away. –Umm... How did you get to know Teddy?” Well, if I'm nice maybe Teddy will realise that Amelia isn't as nice as he thinks she is.

–We're Charms partners, so we spend lesson times together and then he also asked me to tutor him -- believe me, he needs it, and it's basically gone from there,” Amelia said stiffly. –Of course, some of my housemates find it a little strange that I'm hanging out with a Gryffindor but...”

–You're in Slytherin, aren't you? I've heard Dominique talk about you. I'm pretty sure her and Molly idolise you,” Victoire said. She couldn't help but feel a stab of resentment towards the older girl. It had always been Victoire that Dominique looked up to and sought comfort from. That had stopped a few weeks into Dominique's first term at Hogwarts as she settled into her new house and Amelia had taken her under her wing.

Amelia laughed softly. –They call me their big sister. They often come to me for advice and I've asked them for advice before as well. They're nice kids. I suppose they've always wanted someone like me to look up to,” Amelia added, casting a pointed look at Victoire.

–And what exactly do you mean by that?” Victoire demanded. How dare Amelia imply that Dominique had never had someone to look up to and why would she want to look up to someone like Amelia anyway? Victoire had always been there for her sister, she had been the one that Dominique confided in when she was worried about her first time at Hogwarts. Dominique had been worried that the teachers would compare her to her older sister rather that see her as her own person.

–Are you looking forward to you first day at Hogwarts, Dommi?” Victoire asked.

–Of course I am,” Dominique replied, but the tremor in her voice told otherwise. Victoire looked at her, confusion written all over her face.

–Dommi, what's wrong? It's your first day at Hogwarts, you should be excited!” Dominique paused for a second before responding.

–It's just... you've been doing so well at Hogwarts. All the teachers love you, you've been getting near perfect grades, and you have a perfect record! I'm never going to do as well as that.”

Victoire crossed the room and placed an arm around her sister's shoulders. She couldn't believe that her sister was worried about trying to live up to her. –Don't try to be me, be yourself. We're different people; you're funny, you're always hyper and you're an amazing Quidditch player and that's what make you you. People at Hogwarts will love you for not trying to be something you're not, just like I do,” Victoire said, smiling warmly at Dominique.

–Do you think that I'll be in the same house as you?” Dominique asked, returning the smile.

–No, you would not do well in Ravenclaw. I think it's safe to say you'll either be in Gryffindor or Slytherin,” Victoire replied. Dominique's outgoing personality would not go well with the usually peaceful atmosphere of the Ravenclaw common room.

–No Weasley has ever been in Slytherin,” Dominique muttered thoughtfully.

–So?” Victoire responded and Dominique smiled again, her mind made up about where she wanted to be sorted.


–I mean that they've always wanted someone like them,” Amelia explained, dragging Victoire out of her thoughts. She hated that Amelia was talking to her as though she was a five-year-old. –I don't like you, Victoire. I never have. I find you infuriating and you don't even realise that you treat everyone around you like shit. I especially don't like that you're in love with Teddy and how you think that I've done something to make him interested in me because you can't stand the fact that he doesn't feel the same way about you,” she finished calmly, her grey eyes icy cold.

Victoire gasped, her cheeks flushed bright red. Usually able to control her anger, it got the better of her and she rose to the bait. –I do not treat everyone like shit. I'm the person that people come to with their problems because they know that I'll listen and that I'll give them advice. Would they do that if they thought I would treat them as badly as you're making out that I do? You're worse than I am. You have this amazing ability to manipulate every situation so it suits you, so that you come out looking like the victim. I've seen you do it on countless occasions to get out of detention and you push the blame onto everyone else. It's sickening. Maybe I do come off as cold but at least I'm honest and trustworthy and not a manipulative bitch like you,” Victoire hissed, anger getting the better of her.

Amelia's eyes widened. –Wow, Victoire, I really don't know what brought that on. What did I do to offend you so much?” she asked innocently. Victoire stared at her in disbelief. What the hell was she doing?

–I'd like to know that for myself.” Victoire turned around to see Teddy stood behind her, clutching their butterbeers.

–Teddy, I --” Victoire started.

–Save it, Victoire,” Teddy said, his eyes raging with anger and disappointment.

–But --” she cried, desperate to make him understand what had happened.

–Just go,” he said flatly, and turned his back on her. Victoire choked back tears as she picked up her cloak and turned to leave, utterly defeated. She felt hopeful for a second when she felt a hand close around her wrist, but it vanished as soon as she saw Amelia smiling cruelly at her.

–Now look what you've done, Victoire. You're never getting him back now,” she said softly in Victoire's ear. Victoire tried to free her arm from Amelia's grasp but the other girl got a firm hold on it. –One more thing, and I'm only going to say this once. He's mine now and you are going to keep the hell away from him.”




Victoire hadn't wanted to listen to Amelia's warning, but it was difficult to talk to Teddy at school as Amelia was always with him and when she had tried to explain the situation in the holidays, Teddy had just brushed her off, saying that he knew what had happened and to just leave it. And now, a year and a half later, she was supposed to be getting ready for Teddy's engagement party.

–Vic? Maman asks if you're ready yet. We have to leave in a little while,” Dominique said poking her head around the door. –You're not even dressed yet?”

–No, and I'm not going,” Victoire said frowning at her sister's tone of voice. She knew she was being childish but didn't care. Why should I act happy for them to spare Teddy's feelings when he obviously doesn't care about mine?

–Oh, stop acting like a spoiled brat!” Dominique burst out angrily. Victoire stared at her in surprise; why was she getting so angry about it?

–Excuse me? I'm acting like a spoiled brat? Why should I have to suffer by going to the engagement party of the boy I love?”

–You know what, I'm beginning to wonder if you really do love him.”

–And what exactly do you mean by that?” Victoire said, her voice dangerously quiet and she got even angrier when she saw Dominique showed no trace of fear like she used to.

–I mean, if you truly loved him you would be happy for him despite how much it hurt you. Instead I think you're just jealous.” Victoire bit back her argument. She couldn't tell Dominique what Amelia had said. Her younger sister idolised Amelia and she didn't want to upset her by telling her what her precious "big sister" had done.

–But I do love him, Dommi, too much. Amelia's manipulated this entire thing, you don't understand!” she cried instead. She buried her head in her hands, blinking furiously as a fresh set of tears threatened to fall.

Victoire heard Dominique sigh softly before she replied. –You need to talk to him, Tori. You need to tell him exactly what you just told me because right now he's hurt and confused as to why you won't talk to him.” This was news to Victoire; she had been under the impression that he was avoiding her. She looked at her younger sister and then to the dress that she had got ready earlier.

–All right then. I'll go, but I'm not promising that I'll talk to him.”




An hour later, Victoire found herself in the crowded living room of the Burrow. She could see Teddy and Amelia posing for photos while people around them offered their congratulations. She didn't know how long she had been watching them until she saw Teddy look over at her. He smiled his usual goofy grin, a smile that she hadn't seen in so long and, to her surprise, she found herself smiling back. Soon, however, the sight of Teddy and Amelia kissing and the sly look on Amelia's face afterwards had made her want to get as far away from the Burrow as possible.

–Tori?” said a soft voice from behind her. She turned around to see Teddy looking down at her with his hair a bright turquoise colour, her favourite. Once again, she found herself smiling shyly at him as he sat down beside her. –What happened to us, Tori? We used to be best friends, and a stupid argument like the one we had shouldn't have ruined that.”

Victoire flinched at the hurt and confusion in his voice. –I guess we just didn't talk as much after you started going out with Amelia.”

–But you always could have hung out with me and Amelia; she wouldn't mind. That way maybe you could get over your dislike of her.”

–Teddy, why are you already engaged to her? You're young. Isn't it a bit... rushed?” Victoire asked suddenly. The question had been eating away at her since he had announced the engagement.

Teddy paused for a minute before answering. –Why were you so against Amelia coming with us? And why were you such a bitch to her?” he asked, completely avoiding her question.

–You didn't answer my question. I'm not going to tell you anything until you answer it honestly.”

–Fine! But you have to promise you'll tell me why you said what you did.” Victoire scowled slightly before nodding her head in agreement. Teddy sat in silence for a moment before he started speaking. –Tori, I love her. It's that simple. I love her and I know I want to spend the rest of my life with her, and I want to have a family.” He fell quiet again and stared down the garden into darkness.

Victoire winced as he spoke, willing herself not to cry despite how much they hurt her.

–Tori, I'm sorry. I know this is difficult for you, but please, I don't want to lose you! You're my best friend, and I love you, too. But I don't love you. I'm so sorry,” Teddy said and he sounded as though he was trying not to cry, too.

Victoire nodded numbly. –You're right, of course you are. I was stupid to think you could ever love me any other way than that,” she said, her voice barely audible.

Teddy wrapped his arms around her. –You're not stupid. I've been confused for a long time -- I even told Dom that I was in love with you the night I proposed. But being with Amelia just feels so... right.”

–You told Dominique all of this?” Victoire asked, shocked. How could her sister keep a secret like that from her?

–Yeah, I told her I was going to propose. I wanted to make sure that she didn't feel like I was taking the attention away from her.”

–So you told my sister, but you didn't tell me? It was my night, too! You've said it yourself. We're supposed to be best friends, and aren't best friends meant to tell each other everything?” she said, unable to keep the accusation out of her voice.

–I didn't know if I could talk to you because you've been avoiding me since our argument and that was over a year ago!” Teddy responded heatedly.

Victoire stood up suddenly. –I'm sorry, Teddy,” she said before she ran back to the house. Once she had reached the safety of the bathroom, she finally let the tears fall.






The day of September firstt rolled around and Victoire hadn't seen or heard anything from Teddy. Not that she had wanted to see him. It had been bad enough with Dominique as Victoire couldn't believe her sister had kept this information from her. She could have spared Victoire the humiliation of Teddy announcing it to the entire family when she knew she would be upset by it. But instead she had done nothing, choosing to celebrate the prefect position she didn't even deserve rather than helping her sister.

–Hi, Tori,” a nervous voice came from behind her, just as she was getting onto the train.

–What do you want?” she said flatly, avoiding eye contact.

–I wanted to say goodbye. That's what friends do, isn't it?” Victoire remained silent, still not looking at him. –Look,” he continued. –I need to figure something out. Just please, don't freak out.”

Victoire opened her mouth to respond but before she could say anything, she suddenly felt Teddy's lips on hers.

–Teddy? What are you doing here? Why are you kissing Victoire?” someone asked from behind them.

–Go away, James,” Teddy responded calmly. Victoire felt herself blush as her younger cousin stared at them before speaking again.

–What are you doing?” he repeated.

–I'm seeing her off, now please go away.”

James opened his mouth to say something else but ran away after a look from Teddy.

–Teddy, what are you doing? What about Amelia?” Victoire cried.

–We've broken up,” Teddy said flatly, his brown eyes stormy with emotions.

Victoire just stared at him in disbelief. He had broken up with her? The other night he was telling her that he wanted a family with Amelia and the next moment he was ended the engagement? It just didn't make sense. The sound of a whistle brought Victoire out of her thoughts as the remaining students on the platform hurried to board the train.

–You'd better get on the train," Teddy said as the guards started to shut the doors of the train.

–Goodbye, Teddy. I'll write to you on Sunday,” she replied softly.

Teddy gave her a small smile and waved as the train started to pull away. Victoire smiled and waved back, not stopping until the train had turned a corner and Teddy was out of site. Her head was spinning. She couldn't believe that Teddy had kissed her – she had been waiting for this moment for a year and a half! Unable to keep the grin off of her face, she had to resist the urge to skip down the train to the Prefect Compartment. This is going to be the best year ever, she thought happily to herself before sliding the compartment door open to begin her year of being Head Girl.





This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=92797