Unexpected by eternalangel
Summary: Theodore Nott had never wanted to be a hero. All he wanted to do was escape his last name. When Luna Lovegood makes a special request of him, he finds he may just be able to.

This is eternalangel of Ravenclaw, and this is my final for the Missing Moments class on the MNFF Beta Boards.
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Warnings: Mild Profanity, Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 10584 Read: 1120 Published: 09/08/13 Updated: 09/12/13

1. Chapter 1 by eternalangel

Chapter 1 by eternalangel
Summer 1998

Susan paced the long corridor, and fretted. The group she was assigned to lead waited nervously behind her. Sounds of pattering feet, and urgency filled the halls around her. Susan couldn’t make sense of the jumbled mess that was her stomach, and those sounds were not helping her. The battle was about to begin, and Susan found it hard to look her group in their eyes. She knew she had to get it together. She was a seventh year, a DA member, and she had been chosen by Neville to lead this squad.

Susan knew the students behind her relatively well, but they were all younger members of the DA, who had heart, but no spectacular skills. This worried her, and made her feel ashamed all at the same time. They were all here, as she was, to fight for what they believed in. They had heart where many others would have fled. Susan felt the resolve in her stiffen, and she decided then that she would find a way to keep her squad safe. She would find a way to turn children into warriors.

Susan’s weight of worry lightened a little bit, and it was then that she remembered of the reinforcements coming. Just as the thought passed through her mind, Colin Creevey rounded the corner with two older students. His face was perplexed as he approached her, and Susan was confused as to why that would be until she saw who followed behind him.

Gasps of shock erupted behind her as none other than Blaise Zabini and Theodore Nott came into view. Susan had never expected any Slytherins to come back, and most certainly not Theodore Nott, whose own father was a Death Eater, and would be fighting on the other side. Judging by the look on Colin’s face, and the buzz of whispers behind her, neither had anyone else.

Susan’s eyes shifted to Colin, who shrugged in response. Neville must have known about these two, or else he wouldn’t have sent them with Colin, who had become one of Neville’s trusted followers. If Neville and Colin trusted them, then Susan supposed she could to.

Susan looked back at her group. The younger students knew who Blaise and Theodore were. There were not many DA members who did not know the two. Blaise was known to be one of the smartest Slytherins, and Theodore’s father was infamous. No one really knew how to react around them, especially Nott. Luna, before she was taken, had staunchly believed that Theodore, and, by extension, Blaise were not enemies. She believed that they could be allies. Luna, though strange as she could be, did have a better understanding of people and their actions.

Despite this, there had still been reservations about the Slytherins, especially any associated with the Death Eaters. This doubt lingered in the eyes of her fellow squad members. She knew that it would not be easy to convince them to fight side by side with people who had once been opposition to the DA.

Susan turned back towards the two newcomers in front of her. Blaise calmly scanned Susan and her group, while Theodore lounged lazily against a nearby wall. Susan wondered once more why they had decided to come back. What motivated them? There was so little time left to find out. She sighed. She would definitely have to work with what she was given. She held out her hand to Blaise. She would begin with a handshake.

Late Fall 1997

Blaise had won again. This was something Theodore Nott should have gotten used to by now. Blaise always won when they played wizard chess, but it still irked Theodore that he had yet to beat his friend.

Theodore sighed as he fell back into the armchair. The warm fire felt good on his face on the bitterly cold night. He absentmindedly played with one of the pieces he had taken, a useless pawn, and watched as Blaise tenderly gathered up his chess pieces. His friend quite loved the game of wizard chess. Blaise had that self confident smirk on his face again. He may be his friend, but sometimes Blaise had a way of infuriating him.

–Another round, Nott?”

Before he had time to answer, Crabbe and Goyle came plodding through the Common Room door, with the obnoxious Millicent hanging off of Goyle’s arm. Lately, Theodore couldn’t stand the sound of Crabbe and Goyle‘s voices, and that was no different tonight. Ever since the start of the new year, they had been striding around like peacocks because they had learned some new spells.

To Theodore, they were still idiots, but to most other Slytherins, especially sycophantic Slytherins like Millicent and Pansy, Crabbe and Goyle were the new order of power. Luckily, Blaise was also one who thought like Theodore, and wanted nothing to do with them.

Crabbe and Goyle spotted them in the corner, and sauntered over. Millicent’s repulsive face was plastered with a wide smile. Her eyes flickered over Blaise, who astutely ignored her. Theodore knew Millicent had a long time crush on Blaise. Everyone knew it including Blaise, but unfortunately for many of the Slytherin female population Blaise’s standards were impossibly high. He did have his moments that dumbstruck Theodore like when he stated that Ginny Weasley looked well enough for a girl. That statement had been over analyzed by every girl in Slytherin, who came to the obvious conclusion that Blaise fancied red heads. His friend never admitted to such a thing again, which only seem to confirm that analysis.

Theodore smirked as Millicent stepped a little too close to Blaise’s chair. Blaise shifted uncomfortably away from her, and Theodore got a small amount of pleasure in watching his friend uncharacteristically perturbed. Blaise had to have some awkward moments like everyone else. He couldn’t be perfect all the time. Crabbe and Goyle, as usual, were completely oblivious that Millicent’s attention was no longer on them.

Goyle loomed over Theodore’s chair with his arms crossed, and an annoying confident smile on his face. Theodore studiously didn’t look him in the eye. The barrel-chested boy had been trying to corner Theodore all week, and Theodore had managed to escape him. Theodore inwardly sighed. Unlike these two goons, he was not as oblivious, and had an idea what it was Goyle wanted with him.

–Nott, I have a question to ask you,” Goyle stated. Blaise looked up from the chess pieces he had carefully been organizing. Blaise was no idiot. He also had an idea what Goyle was going to ask. Theodore scowled.

–Listen Goyle, Blaise and I were about to head on up to the dormitories. It’s late and all. How about we talk tomorrow?” Theodore started as he pushed up out of the armchair.

Theodore was taller than most people including Goyle, but Goyle had a good deal more of muscle mass. Despite the fact that Theodore was taller, Goyle didn’t allow him to get very far from his chair. He crossed his arms and purposely stood in Theodore’s way. Nott was sure he heard Blaise snicker behind him.

–No, this has to be handled tonight. My squad has an opening. You see Blackwell had an unfortunate accident, and will not be back for awhile,” Goyle stated.

Theodore knew all about that unfortunate accident. Blackwell had been caught by some DA members cursing first years. He paid for that bit of aggression ten fold. Not being back for awhile was an understatement from what he heard. Theodore felt all eyes on him as Goyle continued on.

–After thinking about it, me and Crabbe thought that only someone whose father had the right sort of beliefs should be the person to fill that spot.”

Theodore felt a spark of his anger ignite in him. He could see Blaise silently shaking his head. His friend knew that Theodore’s father was a sore subject for Theodore. Unlike Crabbe and Goyle, who adored their fathers and their fathers’ beliefs, Theodore did not have the same sort of relationship. In point of fact, Theodore hated his father. His father was moody, and aggressive. In many ways, Theodore blamed his father’s cruel streak for his mother’s early demise. Comparing Theodore to his father and assuming that he would want to follow in his father’s footsteps was the first way to get on Theodore Nott’s hate list. There were not many people on that list, and it took a lot to get on it, but Theodore just added two more names to it.

–Well good for Millicent,” Theodore said tersely. –I’m sure she’ll make a wonderful addition to your Inquisitorial Squad. Now I need to get some sleep. Big test tomorrow.”

Theodore made a move to push past Goyle, and was soundly stopped in his tracks, which did nothing for his manly ego in the least. Theodore remained calm despite this, and looked Goyle square in the eyes.

–I was not talking about Millicent,” Goyle retorted. –Crabbe and I have decided that you would be the right choice. You see my father and your father are close friends. They’ve been talking about you. You haven’t done much for the cause. Time for you to make your father proud.”

This time Theodore was sure he heard Blaise groan. Goyle could really be thick sometimes. Theodore had never shown any affinity for his father or his cause. He had always tried to stay out of it all. It was bad enough that his father left an unseen dark mark of scorn and bias on him wherever he went, but now everyone actually expected him to be spouting his father’s fanatical ideals. Unlike Crabbe and Goyle, who couldn’t think for themselves, Theodore had no problem having his own identity. He could care less if his father was ever proud of him since he was not proud of his father.

Theodore had no doubt his father was talking about him to others. He had no problem telling Theodore how much of a disappointment he was. Theodore didn’t see why his father wouldn’t share that disappointment with others. Unfortunately, his father was not the only one talking. Theodore looked about the room, and found that he had a larger audience than he had anticipated. Every eye was on him, watching his reaction. If he turned down Goyle’s offer, it wouldn’t be long before the name blood traitor was whispered in conjunction with his name. Rumors would spread, and the Carrows would step in. The Carrows were merciless with the other Hogwarts students, but absolutely ruthless with Slytherins. Even though Slughorn was their Head of House, the Carrows were the true secret police of the house. Slytherins were expected to be loyal. Anything less than loyalty, or the appearance of loyalty, and they came down hard on them.

Theodore turned towards Blaise. Blaise’s eyes were wide. He too could read the tension in the room. Blaise shook his head. It was small movement, but it was enough for Theodore to catch the message. Simply put, Blaise was telling him to stand down, and live to fight another day. It was unwise to make enemies with so many eyes on them. He had to hand it to Goyle; this was well played. If Theodore said no in front of everyone, he would become the pariah of the house, and Blaise along with him. His refusal would be tantamount to an act of rebellion to his father and Goyle’s father, and there would be repercussions on the outside as well as in Hogwarts.

–Fine Goyle. If I say yes, will you get out of my way?” Theodore responded.

A scowl darkened Goyle’s face, but he at least knew when he had a victory, no matter how sourly he received it. He stepped out of Theodore’s way. Theodore sighed and started past him.

–I’ll see you tomorrow after Dark Arts. The Carrows are going to have a special meeting with all the Inquisitorial Squads,” Goyle shouted at him. He had to be sure everyone heard him, which only irritated Theodore even more.

Goyle then strode past Theodore with Millicent dangling off his arm. Theodore felt his shoulders sink. Even though he knew there had not been much he could do in this instance, he still felt as if his father’s madness was starting to sink its claws further and further into him. After Crabbe and Goyle left, Theodore felt a hand gently pat him on the shoulder. Blaise stood beside him, his wizard chess set close to his chest.

–They won this round, Nott, but we’ll make sure they won’t win the next,” Blaise whispered.


**************


Theodore attended that first meeting as a part of Goyle’s Squad the next day, despite the deep reservations he had on the entire matter. As he had predicted the Carrows were short sighted and cruel. He hadn’t really thought they would be any different outside of class considering the sort of lessons they taught, but he had hoped that more of his fellow Slytherins would have seen through it all. It was true that there were a few like him who had been forced to join a squad, but none were as well known as he was, nor did they have the backbone to really do anything about their situation.

Then again neither did he. Theodore hated the fact that he was apart of something that brought him one step closer to his father, when he wanted to be a thousand steps away from him.

But Theodore Nott soon realized that there were ways he could fight the fate so many wanted to force down his throat. It happened on his very first task he had to do as apart of Goyle’s goon squad. The Inquisitorial Squads had taken to policing the halls between and after classes. This was a way for the Carrows to have eyes on all the student’s activities. In particular, the Inquisitorial Squads were supposed to keep a close eye on anyone associated with Neville Longbottom, the DA, or many of the older Gryffindors.

Crabbe and Goyle took this a step further, and thought it was their right to torment any Gryffindor they happened across, especially the easily susceptible first years. Theodore’s first task in the Squad was to wait with Goyle, Crabbe and Pansy in a hall where some first year Gryffindors were known to frequent. As they waited, and he listened to Crabbe and Goyle talk about the curses they would use, dread began to spread through Theodore. He had never been a fan of Gryffindor. To him, they were always so arrogant and reckless, and these first years were no different. What would make them think it a good idea to be outside of their common room alone after hours when Inquisitorial Squads were known to roam the halls?

Even so, listening to Crabbe and Goyle talk about using the Cruciatus Curse on first years disturbed Theodore, and it seemed he wasn’t the only one. Pansy was silent the entire conversation. She too seemed to have some reservations on such excessive use of force, but Pansy was too weak willed to say or do anything. Seeing her so pathetic made him angry at himself and her. And an angry Theodore always became a reckless one.

–I’ll be back. Need to take a leak,” Theodore said. Crabbe dismissed him with his hand. He was too firmly entrenched in his conversation with Goyle to realize what it was Theodore was about to do.

Theodore strode back down the corridor they were in until it hit a more frequented hall. After finding a spot next to a statue to kneel down and hide, Theodore waited. He couldn’t really believe that any first years would be this stupid, nor that the DA would allow first year Gryffindors to be out and about this late at night, but sure enough Theodore began to hear high pitched whispers of first years.

–I don’t think we should be doing this. That seventh year Neville said we shouldn’t be out in the halls alone after dinner,” one voice stated. By the tone of it, Theodore suspected she was a girl.

–But how can we prove to them that we are ready to be a part of the DA, if we don’t take a little risk? If we can get to that hidden corridor, write our initials on the wall, and get back to the Common Room without getting caught, then maybe they will consider us. Besides the famous Harry Potter was always out and about when he was not supposed to be.”

Theodore silently shook his head. He had not had much interaction with Harry when he had been at Hogwarts, but he had heard the stories about him all the same. Harry was the most reckless of them all, and probably the worst example for first years at the moment.

The sounds of the whispers and the shuffling of footsteps were getting closer. They would soon turn down the corridor and head straight towards the shadowy alcove where Crabbe and Goyle were waiting. Theodore’s self preservation told him to stay still. These kids weren’t apart of his house anyways, but something twisted in his stomach. He couldn’t stand the thought of Crabbe and Goyle using the nasty little tricks they had learned on such helpless kids.

Theodore sighed, stood up, and quickly stepped around the statue. The first years froze half way down the hall, their eyes widening in terror as they recognized him as a Slytherin. Theodore strode towards them, pulling his wand out as he went. He had no intention on casting any spell or curse on them, but they didn’t know that. Their faces drained of all color, and Theodore was certain he saw their little knobby knees shaking. He had never had that effect on anyone before.

Theodore came to a stop a few feet away, his wand pointing straight at the ring leader of the group, which was a scrawny boy. At his side was a girl in pigtails, and another boy who couldn’t even look Theodore in the eye.

–What are you doing out here so late? Don’t you know there is a curfew for all students?” Theodore stated. He tried to keep his voice down. This would all come to nothing if Crabbe and Goyle heard him, and came to investigate.

–Well then why are you out here?” the ringleader rebutted. He stuck his tiny chest out in defiance, which only made him look laughable. Typical Gryffindor. Theodore had no choice. He had to get them out of the corridor before Crabbe and Goyle went looking for him, and came upon these three. He had to pull out a chess piece he hated to use, but was effective anyways.

–Do you know who I am?” he said his face a grim mask of anger. All three kids jolted, and stared up at him in growing dread. They shook their heads in unison. The ringleader’s little chest fell, and his face grew white. –My name is Theodore Nott.”

His last name made the three first years cringe. If they had any real pretensions of joining the DA then they, as well as other first years, would have been told the names of the Slytherins to avoid the most, namely any Slytherin whose parents were active Death Eaters. Since Theodore was one of those students, he was almost positive these kids would know his name, and take what he said seriously.

–I don’t see you running back to your Common Room,” Theodore said. The three first years jumped as if they had been shocked, and than ran back down the corridor. As Theodore watched them go, he was certain he saw a certain blonde head duck behind a nearby statue. So Luna had heard of the rumor about the first years meeting here as well, and had come to make sure nothing happened. Theodore pretended that he didn’t see her. Instead, he turned around, and headed back to the goon squad.


**************


As the days turned into weeks, Crabbe and Goyle continued to try and add Theodore into their more nefarious activities until they realized he was extremely lazy. Nothing they said or did seemed to motivate him, which was nothing new to his friend Blaise, whom Theodore told all of this to. Nott remained on their Inquisitorial Squad, but only due to his name. Crabbe and Goyle couldn’t even come up with good insults about this behavior to sling at Theodore without him turning it around, and slinging it right back. It was another thing Theodore was extremely good at. In all, Theodore managed to slide by with menial tasks like look out or hall monitor.

Rumors of Theodore’s stupidity and laziness soon ran amuck, but that didn’t disturb Theodore’s peace of mind at all. In fact, it barely made a ripple. He knew full well that he was lazy, and liked to hide the fact that he was quite clever when he wanted to be. Only Blaise knew that Theodore was not the dolt Crabbe and Goyle proclaimed him to be, and that was all that Theodore really cared about. Blaise was, after all, his only real friend. Everyone else were acquaintances.

But Theodore was not as adept in hiding his cleverness from everyone in Hogwarts, a fact he learned the hard way one bright sunny day. On that day, Theodore was just minding his own business, doing his duty as a hall monitor, which he enjoyed to do from a hidden little nook that was adjacent to one of the busier halls. Class had just let out, and students were streaming past him without once realizing he was there.

Theodore was always surprised at just how easy it was for him to disappear in a crowd. Leaning leisurely against a wall, he took time to enjoy watching the ebb and flow of his fellow students as they scurried from one class to another. Theodore Nott had always been more of an observer than a participant in life at Hogwarts.

This lack of reaction to his presence had never bothered Theodore. On the contrary, he found it quite pleasing to be alone, and even more entertaining to observe humanity when it was not aware that it was being observed. He believed he saw more honesty in the moments he caught others off guard than when they knew he was watching.

Theodore noticed there was always a decisive change in attitude when people became aware of his presence. His name was a heavy weight to wear around his shoulders. To some, like Crabbe and Goyle, his last name made them foolishly believe they had a comrade, but to most of the student population, his name terrified or confused them. Most people didn’t know what to make of the quiet boy whose father was a Death Eater.

Not wanting to think one more thought about his abominable father, Theodore pulled out a piece of parchment and quill. It was a past time he had created when he was bored, and one that Blaise said was a bit sadistic. Every time he managed to catch the attention of a fellow student as they passed him, he would pretend to furiously scribble something down on the parchment. He would watch as their eyes grew wide once they realized who he was, and rabbit away from him. Maybe Blaise was right. Maybe he was a bit sadistic.

–Why are you scribbling random swirls and lines on a parchment?”

Theodore jumped at the sound of the voice, and nearly dropped his parchment. He quickly turned around, and looked down into the recognizable blue eyes of Luna Lovegood. He wondered how it was she had gotten behind him without him hearing.

–Oh, you know, passing time,” he mumbled. He quickly spirited away the parchment and quill.

–By pretending to be apart of one of the Carrows watch dogs, and taking notes?”

Theodore was flummoxed. He knew that Luna was smart, but he had never taken her to be this perceptive. Even though Theodore was technically apart of an Inquisitorial Squad, he was not one of the Carrows favored students like Crabbe and Goyle. Those students were the real moles that the students of Hogwarts had to watch out for because they were the ones who passed on every bit of information about student activities to the Carrows. The fact that Luna knew that Theodore was not really apart of that group had him wonder just how much she did know.

–And how do you know I’m not one of their watchdogs?” Theodore challenged. He had to ask, even though he knew that, in all probability, she wouldn’t give him a straight answer.

Luna cocked her head as if he had asked a silly question before she answered, –If you were apart of the Carrows special group of students, you wouldn’t be scribbling squiggly lines and swirls, and it doesn’t seem to suit your nature.”

–My nature?” Theodore asked. He was intrigued and a little unsettled by that answer, but then he liked to be a little intrigued and unsettled.

Theodore was interested to know what exactly Luna knew of his nature, but was sorely disappointed. Luna’s eyes widened as she caught sight of something behind him. By the look in her eyes, Theodore knew she wasn’t going to answer him.

Theodore turned to see what exactly it was she was looking at when she whispered, –It was nice talking to you. We will have to chat again soon.”

Luna then smiled and ambled away from him. Theodore was perplexed by the oddity of the entire situation, so much so that he was taken by surprise when Goyle wrapped his big arm around his neck, and put him in a –Goyle friendly– choke hold. Goyle had this annoying habit of thinking everyone liked to be roughed up every once in awhile for fun. Due to Theodore’s height and agile movements, he was harder to catch by the oaf, except, of course, when he was caught off guard.

Theodore’s head swam, and his neck ached under Goyle’s vice like grip. His first instinct was to struggle, but he knew better than to do that. Goyle’s grip was nearly impossible to break once in this position. Only Blaise had done it, and Goyle quickly learned why attempting to wrestle Blaise was not a good idea. Blaise could be down right dangerous when he was angry.

Theodore sighed.

–What do you want Goyle?”

To Theodore’s surprise, Goyle’s grip loosened, and he let Theodore straighten up.

–Just checking in on the newest member of my squad.”

–Don’t tell Crabbe that. He still thinks the squad is the both of yours,” Theodore retorted.

Goyle blithely ignored that comment as he responded, –I saw you talking to Loony Luna. Better be careful. I heard her sort of crazy is catching. What’d she have to say?”

–You know Loony Luna stuff. She said something about Wrackspurts, and then ran off.”

Goyle threw his head back and laughed. He patted Theodore on the back, which nearly knocked the breath out of him. He wondered if Goyle knew how strong he really was.

–That sounds like something Loony Luna would say. Come on we have the weekly meeting with the Carrows to get to.”

Theodore was happy Goyle was such an idiot, and believed him. Theodore could have divulged the fact that Luna was aware who was apart of the Carrows special group of minions, and who was not, but something told him that it was best to keep that information secret for now.

Goyle grabbed Theodore’s arm, and starting dragging him along, which annoyed Theodore in extremity. This buffoon actually thought he had a right to push him around. Theodore yanked his arm out of Goyle’s grasp, and strode on ahead of him. Theodore may not have a lot of dignity to protect, but he was not going to allow Gregory Goyle stomp all over the small amount that he did have.

As he walked towards a meeting he had long ago deemed ridiculous, Theodore wondered about Luna’s last words. What did she mean they would chat soon?

*************


The meaning behind Luna’s words haunted Theodore, and he played them over and over in his head. He had never spoken two words to Luna Lovegood in all their years at Hogwarts despite the fact that they had shared several classes together. Now she wanted to chat, and this seemed strange even for Theodore.

He, of course, passed on this odd bit of information to Blaise one day while they were studying in the library. The library was one of the few places he and his friend could get away from the goon squad because Crabbe and Goyle seemed to be allergic to books.

Blaise and Theodore had a table near the back they liked to study on. Theodore kept hoping that some of Blaise’s fastidious study habits would rub off on him. His friend was not at the top of the academic scale in Slytherin for nothing. Theodore was no idiot, but compared to Blaise he felt as if he was. Blaise was thumbing through an advanced spell book when Theodore told him what Luna said.

–I don’t know what to tell you, Theodore. I don’t really know Luna Lovegood at all, and couldn’t even fathom what it is you two could even chat about, mate. It does seem strange that she wants to talk to you now.”

Theodore silently picked over Blaise’s words. He had not told his friend yet about the knowledge that Luna may have about the Carrows inner circle. He hadn’t told anyone that. Theodore sighed and leaned back in his chair, flinging his arm over the side of it. He had really hoped Blaise would have some advice to give. Blaise went back to reading his book, and Theodore fiddled with his quill as he thought over Luna’s words.

Theodore had a prickling sensation of being watched. He looked up to see Luna Lovegood herself staring straight at him. Theodore nearly fell out of his chair, which drew the glare of some nearby Ravenclaws. Blaise looked up at him in confusion, and then saw Luna.

–I think Luna wants you to follow her,” Blaise whispered, and he pointed at the Ravenclaw, whose eyes were bearing down on Theodore, and then shifted to a secluded row of books near Theodore and Blaise’s table. Theodore watched as she slowly made her way towards that stack, picking up a random book here and there, and putting them back. His curiosity was burning to know what it was that Luna wanted with him. Theodore picked up a book, and followed after her.

He found Luna at the very end of the row, deep within the shadows. She had pulled a book off the shelf, and was casually thumbing through it. Theodore strolled over, and pulled a book out near her, also pretending to read.

–Hello, Theodore Nott,” Luna whispered, her eyes never leaving the book in her hands.

Theodore turned his back against the book case, and leaned against it. He had no idea why he followed Luna, nor if she had even wanted him to follow her. He decided to play along, and see where this conversation would go.

–Hello. Nice day for studying,” Theodore whispered.

–Yes, quite,” Luna answered breezily. Theodore waited for her to elaborate, but Luna continued to read. Minutes passed, and Theodore could feel his edginess growing within him. Finally, when his curiosity could take no more of it, Theodore broke the elongated silence.

–So did you have something you wanted to talk to me about, or are we going to look at books all day?”

–Straight to the point? Interesting. I thought you were more of a round about sort of guy.”

Theodore stared at Luna for a moment, not quite sure how to respond to this, or even if it were a compliment or an insult.

–Why did you help those first years in the hall a few days back?” Luna finally asked.

It seemed Luna could be blunt as well. Theodore’s expression remained calm, which seemed to surprise her. She really had not known that he had seen her, and she had expected surprise.

–Does it matter? I did, and that’s all,” he stated resolutely. Luna closed her book, and scrutinized him for a moment with her luminous eyes.

–It matters quite a bit. There are many here who would not have lifted a finger to help those kids, but you did. I surmise there is more to Theodore Nott than others will allow there to be. Your name can be a burden, can it not?”

Theodore scowled. Again he was impressed and disturbed on her perceptive abilities. She knew that his name bothered him while most people assumed he had embraced his name and his father’s ideals. He had never said as much, but they had assumed anyways. Luna, it seemed, was able to discern the truth without having to say a word to him.

–Did we come here to talk about some first years, or was there an actual point to this?” Theodore snapped. He hated having his deepest issues laid bare by someone he hardly knew. Luna didn’t seem affected by his harsher tone. She smiled her nonsensical smile as usual, and reopened her book.

–Do you want to be just like your father?”

The question stunned Theodore. No one had actually ever directly confronted him on the matter, and here she was throwing it right in his face. He was beginning to wonder if maybe Goyle was right. Maybe she was crazy.

Theodore shoved the book he had in his hand back onto the shelf, turned, and started to storm off. This was not the sort of thing he wanted to talk about, especially not with Luna Lovegood of all people.

–You can be better than him you know,” Luna whispered after him. –I know you already are, but not many others do. There is a way that you could break away from your last name.”

Her words were hypnotic, and stopped Theodore in his tracks, despite his rational mind telling him to leave. Maybe her sort of crazy was catching because he was curious to know what it was she was going to say next. When he didn’t leave, Luna took that to mean that he was listening. He heard her muffled footsteps as she drew closer to him.

–I know you don’t like the methods used by the Carrows, and I know you really do have a good heart. You can help protect a lot of helpless students from these atrocious methods. All you have to do is tell me when and where the Inquisitorial Squads will be. You could write it on a note, and leave it in this book.”

Luna leaned around him and held a book out to him. She was closer than any girl had ever really been to him. At his age, he should have had more experience, but sadly he didn’t. Her warmth made him nervous and excited at the same time, which confounded him. Theodore looked down on the book she held out in order to distract himself from his conflicting feelings. It was called The Cooking Recipes of the Medieval Housewife . The sardonic part of him wanted to laugh, which only jumbled up his confliction of emotions and reactions. Theodore hadn’t even known that such a book existed let alone where to find it, but Luna had found it. He realized then that this was the book she had been casually flipping through. She had planned this all along.

–You want me to betray my house and my comrades?” Theodore rebutted. He had no real loyalty to most of his fellow Slytherins, but he wasn’t sure if Luna knew that or not. He was about to find out.

–No. I’m asking you to help me protect those students who can not protect themselves. If we have warning when and where the squads will be, it will lessen the chances of confrontations, and protect the younger students in our school. That’s all I want to do. That’s all I’m asking of you. If you want to do it, just leave a note in this book.”

Luna pulled the book back, and Theodore felt her leave his side. He turned as she walked back to the shelf, and shelved it. Her eyes lingered on the spot, and then came back to his own. Luna didn’t look like the loopy girl everyone knew her as. There was steel in her that glimmered just below the surface.

–Just one note in that book, and that’s all. You will be completely anonymous. Only I know about this book and this place. I will understand if you don’t want to do it. I will check this book every other day. Leave it if you will. This is your chance to be someone unexpected. I will leave the decision up to you.”

And with that, Luna glided past him. She was back to her strange and harebrained self, but somehow that intrigued Theodore. When she left, he was surprised that she had not asked him to stay silent about the discussion they had just had. If he so wished, he could tell the Carrows everything she had just said. He was sure it would earn him a spot as one of their favored pets. Luna seemed to know that he wouldn’t do that, and it was true; he had no intention of telling anyone about this conversation. It just unnerved him that she knew that.

As Theodore slowly made his way back to the curious Blaise, he pondered over her proposition. It was true that he couldn’t stomach the methods used by the Carrows especially on the younger students, and he would love a way to thwart Crabbe and Goyle in their schemes. At the same time, doing this would put him in a very dangerous position, which was not like him to take. He was not a highly motivated person, nor did he really care for those who were not his closest friends, but this year made him reevaluate this idea.

Theodore couldn’t believe it, but he was seriously thinking about doing it. It would definitely put a dent in Goyle’s grand plans of catching DA members together. That was all he ever talked about. Theodore would definitely get some entertainment value in Goyle trying to figure out what went wrong with his plans when he can never seem to catch anyone. At least, that was the reason that Theodore gave for himself for why he was going to do what he was about to do. He would never admit to himself that maybe loopy Luna had had more of an effect on him than he had anticipated. Theodore sighed as he strolled back to the study table where Blaise was waiting.

–What did Luna want?” Blaise asked as Theodore sat down again. His eyes burned into Theodore like piercing hot rods.

–Not much. Something about Nargles. I wasn’t really listening.”

Blaise knew he was lying. Theodore could see it on his face, but luckily his friend let it go. That was one of the many good characteristics about Blaise. He knew when to back off. Theodore wasn’t sure why he didn’t tell his friend about the role he was about to undertake. One day soon he would tell him, but for now this was his own little secret.


**************


Theodore found it remarkably easy to get the information Luna wanted. At the weekly squad meetings, assigned zones and corridors were given out to the various squads by the Carrows. Goyle gladly took the lion’s share of the work, if only to pawn it off on others, and still remain on the Carrows good side. Theodore was often forgotten or ignored at the meetings, which only helped him out.

And so Theodore took careful notes on when and where each of the squads would be. The first time he left the information in the secret book in the library was both exhilarating and satisfying. It didn’t take long for that information to be of good use.

Theodore found that the hardest part of it all was suppressing his constant need to laugh at the entire situation. Seeing the different colors Crabbe and Goyle’s faces turned every time their plans were foiled became the highlight of Theodore’s days. The goon squad was completely perplexed as to why they were finding it harder and harder to catch their intended prey. Goyle would bluster on about how he was going to catch the DA, and make them pay, but every week Goyle had to choke on his own words because he was never able to actually catch anyone.

And the Carrows were growing more and more frustrated in the Inquisitorial Squads poor performances. It was true that confrontations between the Squads and the DA had lessen ever since Theodore had taken on the role of a double agent, but it was conversely true that the DA was becoming more and more bolder in their moves because of the information he had given. While he didn’t particularly like the idea of riling up the already unstable Carrows, he also couldn’t help, but feel a little impressed with what the DA was doing. He thought it completely insane, but impressive all the same. They didn’t know the truth about how far the Carrows would go as he and his fellow Slytherins did. It’s easier to be brave when you are ignorant of the truth.

But Theodore still continued to pass on the information. It took an entire month for the Carrows to realize they had a mole, and the news had sent a shockwave through Slytherin. Crabbe went around bullying anyone he thought could be the mole to get information. He even tried bullying Blaise, but no one bullied Blaise without some repercussion, which Crabbe should have learned from Goyle. Theodore heard the fight didn’t last long, and Crabbe walked around with a black eye for a week. Blaise was quickly marked off the suspect list after that.

No one suspected the boy whose father was a Death Eater. The idea that he could be the mole was unfathomable for many to even consider it, and for once, his name played in his favor. It made his duplicity that much easier to do. Yet even he knew that this could not last forever. Either he would be found out, or the DA would slip up, and get caught. As it turned out, it was the latter that happened first.

The last of Autumn was withering away into the bitter cold of winter. Theodore had been contemplating the change of the weather while Blaise finished off his king in another round of wizard chess when the news hit. The bearer of this news was Crabbe, who came stumbling into the common room wheezing for breath. Theodore and Blaise immediately knew something had happened by the excited look on Crabbe’s flushed face.

Crabbe came straight up to Theodore and Blaise, which irritated both boys. Neither were particularly fond of Crabbe, and, after the incident with Blaise, Crabbe had gone out of his way to avoid the two of them, but something had brought him to their table. After a moment of Crabbe gasping for breath, Theodore soon found out what the fuss was about.

–The DA has done it this time. Our squad are to meet immediately outside the Headmaster’s office. It seems that Ginny Weasley, Neville Longbottom, and that Luna girl were caught stealing by the Headmaster. So let’s go Theodore. The Carrows want us to detain them until they arrive!”

Crabbe grabbed Theodore and attempted to yank him from his seat, but thought better of it when he saw Blaise glare at him.

–Don’t give me that look, Zabini. This is official squad business, and Nott is apart of our squad.”

Despite Crabbe’s brave words, he still watched Blaise nervously, and removed his hands off of Theodore. Theodore would have to thank his friend later. After heaving a heavy sigh, Theodore pulled himself out of the chair.

–What a bother. Let’s go, Crabbe. Lead the way,” Theodore stated and followed behind Crabbe as he proudly marched out of the common room.

On the outside, Theodore did his best to show his usual bored self, but on the inside he wondered what it was he was walking into. He knew that it was only a matter of time before Ginny or Neville did something that would get them caught, but he never thought Luna was reckless enough to be caught as well. Theodore shook his head. Luckily Crabbe didn’t see him to do it, or else he would have had to explain his interior monologue to the idiot.

By the time they arrived, Pansy already had Luna under control. Neville and Ginny were putting up quite a fight with Goyle who was trying his best to restrain the both of them. Crabbe rushed in to help Goyle, and Theodore lazily leaned up against the nearby wall, and watched the entertainment.

[I] That redhead must have truly lost her marbles this time,[/I] Theodore Nott thought to himself. He watched as Ginny Weasley gave Crabbe a good wallop across the head before he was able to pin her to the wall. After a momentary struggle, the bloodied lipped Crabbe led the recalcitrant redhead down the hall towards Pansy and Luna. Goyle followed behind them with a still struggling Neville, whom he barely had a hold of.

Theodore had always known Ginny and Neville were impatient and reckless, but he had never suspected that they would have been dumb as well. They should have realized that they would have been caught. Breaking into the Headmaster’s office was gutsy, he would give them that, but it was ultimately pointless. In his mind, they should have picked a battle they knew they could win, not one with such dubious outcomes.

Theodore wondered what would happen to the three of them. Under the current regime, he had an uneasy feeling that the punishment would be brutal. He was never particularly fond of any of them, but a part of him still cringed when he thought of what awaited them.

In that moment, Neville gave Goyle a shove, and struggled to get out of his grasp. Goyle slammed into a nearby wall, and nearly lost a hold of Neville. And all the while Theodore watched in silence. Neville had come a long way from the frightened kid he had once known.

Theodore knew he should probably step in now, but he got a small amount of satisfaction in watching Goyle getting tossed around, and by Neville none the less. Goyle had spent so much time puffing up his own ego, and didn’t expect that someone could actual get the better of him.

–Nott, are you going to help me, or are you going to just stand there?” Goyle snapped as he struggled to get Neville under control.

–I thought my job was to stand here, and be lookout. Besides, I didn’t think the great and powerful Goyle needed my help. He is, after all, only Neville Longbottom.”

As expected, Goyle’s pride was pricked, and he redoubled his efforts to restrain Neville. It took more of an effort than he had anticipated, but after a violent struggle, Goyle managed to pin Neville to the ground. Theodore couldn’t help but be a little disappointed by this.

At that moment, the Carrows and the Headmaster rounded the corner. Amycus and Alecto Carrow were stout pair of siblings with pasty, rat like faces. Their beady eyes tended to miss nothing. They strode down the hall as if they were in charge of everything with a silent Severus Snape behind them. Irritation flickered across the Headmaster’s face, no doubt by the way the Carrows were acting. Alecto was actually grinning. Neville, Ginny and Luna had really done it this time if Alecto Carrow was smiling.

Theodore remained silent against the wall. Ginny and Neville glared as they passed him. He wasn’t really sure what they had expected him to do. Were they glaring because he had not helped them, or was it his infamous last name that always seemed to pull out people‘s anger and bias? They should have known this was not going to work, and now the Carrows had them in their claws.

When Luna passed, she gave him a small smile. Theodore pretended to ignore it as he pretended to ignore almost everything, but a part of him was glad that Luna seemed to still be herself.

–My, my Amycus, what do we have here?” Alecto said. She stumped over to the furious looking Neville with an actual look of glee on her face.

–It seems we have some thieves amongst us, Alecto. Stealing from the Headmaster himself, now that is quite bad. What should we do with them sister?” Amycus crooned.

He strolled over to the fierce looking Ginny, and the grinning Crabbe. Amycus had a glint in his eye which Theodore had seen before. Ginny, Neville, and Luna were in for a very bad night tonight. Before Alecto could answer, Severus Snape pushed his way forward.

–You’re not doing anything to them. I‘m the appointed Headmaster. I will decide what will happen, and I have already come up with an appropriate punishment,” Severus stated. An identical look of anger and frustration passed over the Carrows’ faces. They have been waiting to catch Neville or Ginny red handed, and now that they had them, Snape was taking them away.

Theodore almost laughed aloud by the entire situation, especially by the looks of agitation on the Carrows faces. They may know his father, and call themselves his friend, but Theodore couldn’t stand the siblings. They were more myopic than Crabbe and Goyle, and some of the worst teachers he had ever had. They had no patience and no real talent for teaching something useful to their students. They played obvious favorites, and they were often short sighted in many areas. To see them this flustered was a source of great entertainment for him.

And what was even more entertaining were the looks of confusion on Crabbe and Goyle’s faces. The idiot duo had always had a high regard for Severus Snape as did most of Slytherin including Theodore and Blaise. They idolized him because of the high rank he held with Voldemort. Over the last few months, that regard had been transferring to the Carrows. Theodore knew this was new territory for them. They had always been hidden in Draco’s shadow, and now that Draco was no longer in favor, Crabbe and Goyle loved the attention the Carrows bestowed on them. Now their three heroes were in a disagreement, and Crabbe and Goyle were dumbfounded on what it was they should do. Theodore was having a hard time hiding the smile on his face.

Luckily for him, everyone’s attention were directed to the sound of footsteps which boomed behind them. Theodore turned and saw a lumbering Hagrid stomping down the hall. He was doing his best to look angry, but only seemed to look constipated. Hagrid large frame, which made the hall look small, came to a stop right next to Severus and the Carrows. All eyes turned towards the prisoners.

–Hagrid, take these rule breakers into the Forbidden forest. They are to stay the entire night in there. Get them out of my hall and my sight.”

–Snape, that is not enough of a punishment,” Alecto snapped. –Let Amycus and I teach them a good lesson. That oaf Hagrid will go easy on them. He always does.”

Snape whirled around on Alecto, and anger made the muscles in his face twitch.

–My decision is final, Alecto, and I’m the Headmaster. Hagrid, get those three out of my hall, and into the forbidden forest this instant!”

For a moment, everyone froze. Crabbe and Goyle had no idea who to listen to. The Carrows were pacing and gnashing their teeth, and Severus remained unshakably calm. Even Hagrid seemed intimidated by the tense atmosphere. Theodore’s head shifted back and forth as his anticipation grew. He wondered who it was who would break the silence first. As it turned out, it was Hagrid who ended the stalemate.

–Come on, you three. Headmaster’s orders.”

Pansy looked at Severus and then let Luna go. Crabbe was a little more resistant, but eventually let Ginny go. Goyle was the most resistant. He looked to the Carrows, who seemed ready to spit venom, and then he looked towards Snape, whose face was tightening in irritation. Goyle grimaced, and then let Neville go. Neville shoved past Goyle as he followed Ginny and Luna towards Hagrid. Together they left the hall.

Theodore was impressed. Somehow Ginny, Neville, and Luna escaped the Carrows’s twisted punishment, and Severus was their unlikely savior. Had the world turned completely upside down?

–Crabbe, Goyle, Parkinson, and Nott, please head back to the Slytherin common room. Your jobs are done!” Severus simply stated. The Carrows growled in anger and stomped off, leaving Theodore with the goon squad. Theodore shrugged and started back to the common room.


**************


Late winter 1998

Theodore wrapped his coat closer to his body as he waited for Blaise to make his move. Winter had been a bitter one, and Theodore couldn’t wait for spring to bloom. The darkness had seeped into the very life of Hogwarts. Ever since the end of the winter break, nothing had been the same.

Theodore had heard about what had happened to Luna on the train ride back to Hogwarts. On the outside he had to pretend that Luna’s abduction was nothing to him, but on the inside, a small knot of worry was building for her. He had no idea how it had happened, but somehow Luna had wormed her way into his mind.

And her abduction seemed to have had a strange impact on the student population more than Theodore would have thought. She was whispered about in every corner. The girl whom no one had really known before had now become the topic on everyone’s mind.

Even in Slytherin, news of what had happened to Luna was spreading with mixed reactions. Most proclaimed she had it coming. They thought that Luna and her father had toed the line for too long, and it had only been a matter of time before something was done about it. Others were terrified over the idea that she had been taken from what was supposed to be a safe place. If the train coming to Hogwarts was no longer sacrosanct in this war, then was Hogwarts really safe? Most Slytherins didn’t have much to worry about, but the idea of a war coming to Hogwarts still frightened them, especially the younger students.

–Theodore! You’re move,” Blaise said, snapping Theodore out of the turmoil that was going on in his head. He looked back down at the chess board in front of him, and had no idea what his next move should be. That seemed fitting for his situation. Without Luna here at Hogwarts, he felt as he felt now staring at the chess board, unsure what he should do next. The Carrows had yet to figure out who their mole was, but they were narrowing that search down. Theodore trusted Luna and only Luna. He wasn’t sure if he could continue to pass on the knowledge that he had to someone new. Theodore sighed, and made his move.

–A bold move, but a stupid one,” Blaise whispered as he immediately took out Theodore’s knight. –Your head really isn’t in this game tonight is it? You usually don’t make such a dunce move. You’re thinking about Luna and whether you should continue to be an informant for the DA, aren’t you?”

Theodore jolted up in his chair, and he quickly scanned the room around them, looking for ears that were listening. Luckily for him no one was in the common room, but themselves. The cold winter nights usually sent most people to bed early. Theodore turned back towards Blaise, whose focus was squarely on him. Blaise perceptive abilities still astonished Theodore, and if his friend could figure things out, then it wouldn’t be long until the Carrows did too.

–How long have you known?” Theodore whispered.

–I’ve suspected for awhile, but you just confirmed it now,” Blaise said as Theodore groaned at his stupidity. –Don’t worry. I haven’t told anyone, nor will I, but I do think it best if you lay low for awhile. The Carrows have started to consider you as a suspect.”

Theodore fell back into his chair, the energy sapped right out of him. He had been thinking of lying low as well, even though a part of him hated that idea. Working for Luna had made him feel as if he were breaking away from his father’s fate, and now he would have to pretend that what was going on here did not affect him. He knew that with Luna gone, things would only get worse for the DA, and the general student population at Hogwarts. He would do what he could to protect the younger students, but he knew there was precious little he could do. He had no way of approaching DA members without arousing suspicion, not when the Carrows were now focused on him. He had never known how much it would tear him up inside to be completely useless in this fight; it was a part of him that he had not known existed until now.

–Theodore, don’t look so depressed. We may not be able to do much now, but I have a feeling we will get our chance to do what is right very soon.”

–We?” Theodore asked.

–Of course we. Do you really think I would allow my best friend to do something this dangerous without back up? By the way, checkmate.”

Theodore groaned as he looked down at the chess board, and realized that Blaise had won again, but this time Theodore wasn’t irritated by the victory. It was good to know that he had someone as smart as Blaise watching his back. Blaise was right. They would get their moment to prove to the world that they were more than just a name or a house whose reputation was being dragged through the mud. They could be unexpected. Theodore smiled.


***************


May 1998

The reinforcements streamed out of the room of requirement, and Colin Creevey felt a sense of relief. The battle was about to begin. The child in him was glad to see older Order Members and adults, but at the same time the Gryffindor in him wanted to make his mark and prove he was every bit the DA member he saw himself as. It had been a long year, and finally it was going to come to an end one way or the other.

Luna Lovegood separated herself from the milling crowd, and walked up to Colin. He was glad to see her safe. Every since the end of winter break, there had been doubt that he would ever see Luna again. Despite how battered she looked, Colin could still see her fierce courage shining through.

Following behind Luna were two tall boys not much older than he. Neville had said that Luna was going to bring him some reinforcements to send to Susan Bone’s squad. Colin strained to see who it was that trailed after Luna. At first he thought it were a few older students from Gryffindor or Hufflepuff, but when two Slytherins came into view, Colin Creevey’s mouth dropped. Not only were they Slytherins, but they were the recognizable faces of Theodore Nott and Blaise Zabini.

–Colin, I need you to take these two to Susan’s squad. She needs some more experienced fighters,” Luna stated. Blaise looked at Colin with the same supercilious look he had worn all year, and Theodore looked bored.

Colin would never be able to trust those two, and that distrust must have shown on his face when Luna spoke. He arched his eyebrows in doubt as he scanned over the two newcomers.

–It’s okay, Colin. I trust these two with my life. Theodore is the silver snake!”

Colin’s eyes flew wide at the use of the code name as did Theodore‘s, who had clearly not known he had had a code name. A wide grin covered the older Slytherin’s face, and Colin was surprised at how human it made him look.

Colin Creevey and every member of the DA had heard of the Slytherin who had courageously been feeding them inside information about the Inquisitorial Squads. That Slytherin was code named –the silver snake”. No one had known how Luna had been getting that information. All she had ever said was that she had someone working for them in Slytherin, but no one had any real idea who that person had been. To know that it had been Theodore Nott all along shocked Colin. He was the last person the younger Gryffindor would have thought would do such a thing. Of all people, Theodore had the most conflict of interest, and Colin’s esteem of Luna’s courage rose. How she had managed to get Theodore on their side, and, by extension, Blaise Zabini was beyond him. He didn’t know too much about Theodore’s abilities, but Blaise he knew was nothing short of a genius.

–Colin, we don’t have much time before the battle starts. I need you to get these two to Susan,” Luna reiterated. Colin snapped back to the situation at hand. Of all the squad captains, Susan Bones was the most understanding. She would find a way to work with these two. Colin nodded stoutly, and motioned to the two older Slytherins. Blaise looked back at Theodore, who shrugged, which seemed to be enough to convince Blaise. They then followed behind Colin. As Colin turned to lead the way, he thought he saw a smile flicker over Luna’s lips as she watched Theodore’s retreating back. It was a smile he had not seen on her face for quite awhile. It was a smile of hope.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=92980