With a Slammed Door and a Loud Crack by 1000timesingoldenink
Summary: He does not speak of it afterward, and the few who are fool enough to ask once certainly never make that mistake again.

This is the buried memory of an evening close to a century ago.
Categories: Other Pairing Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1056 Read: 1105 Published: 09/14/13 Updated: 09/22/13

1. 1908 by 1000timesingoldenink

1908 by 1000timesingoldenink
Author's Notes:
This was adapted from a drabble I wrote for the Hysterical/Historical challenge in TTB (which it won)!

Thanks to my beta, Wren, for looking it over! :)

The bell rang exactly on time, as he knew it would. She was always prompt. He checked his robes in the mirror and then glanced around the front hall, checking its neatness. She liked things just so, and he believed it was his duty to ensure that she found herself comfortable. Besides, it made him happy to know that his little house in London had her approval, even if they would be moving elsewhere soon.

Smiling to himself at the thought, he hastened to open the door for her.

–Good afternoon to you, Armando,” she greeted as she stepped into the house.

–Hello, Muriel, dear!” Armando kissed her in welcome, smoothly taking her scarf and coat and hanging them upon hooks in the hall.

–How naughty of you not to drop by yesterday for the Easter celebration,” Muriel admonished lightly as he led her into the dining room, where a lavish table, complete with candlesticks, was set for two. –Ah, this looks delicious. You’re such an excellent cook; I am so jealous.”

–Just a little family recipe and a few spices,” he said modestly, pulling out a chair for her and asking, –How was the party?”

She sat down primly, nodding in thanks. –Satisfactory. I, for one, believe it would have been much dignified by the presence of a few more respectable guests. Such strange taste in friends my sister-in-law has! Quite a number of half-bloods were invited; that outspoken Griselda Marchbanks for one, and Horatio Fawcett, who dresses outlandishly and never seems to take a bath.” She wrinkled her nose. –Not to mention the Weasleys--purebloods you know--but their children are simply unbearable, wearing those awful wellington boots and tracking mud everywhere--”

–Oh, but I like the Weasley boys,” Armando interjected, beginning to dish out the beef and potatoes onto Muriel’s plate, and then his own. –They’re keen young chaps, always interested in learning about the world. I shouldn’t be surprised if a few of them turned out Ravenclaws--though I suppose it’s too early to tell for the youngest son; he’s no older than two or three, is he?”

–Bilius Weasley? He’s a baby still. Couldn’t think why they brought him along; he wailed endlessly and ripped petals off the floral arrangements.”

–Children do do that, I’m afraid,” Armando remarked, finally tucking in his napkin and raising his fork to begin the meal.

Muriel shuddered. –Merlin forbid we should ever have one.”

His fork clattered upon his plate rather more loudly than he had intended, but he could not help feeling shocked at her statement. She looked at him concernedly. –Armando, darling? Is something wrong?”

He shook his head, trying to recover his voice. –But, Muriel--is it not your intention to have children, once we are married?”

Her lips parted in surprise. –But of course not. Imagine the noise and the disorder we would be forced to endure.”

Armando, reeling at her statement, merely stared at her in disbelief. It was impossible, simply not possible--of course they were to have children. They might never have discussed it, but the assumption had resided in his mind since he had begun courting her, back at Hogwarts. He enjoyed children and was willing to accept their tendency towards disorderliness. Muriel was easily troubled, perhaps, but he had believed that mothering was the natural vocation of all women.

At last he found his voice. –I thought we would raise children together. Do you really mean--but, don’t you wish to have a family? Our own sons and daughters?”

Muriel shook her head deliberately, as if he were being foolish. He felt a touch of anger at her careless dismissal of his thoughts; must she always be so indifferent, so unsympathetic? He frowned as she asserted decidedly, –A family of two, Armando--that is all I desire.”

–Muriel, but you must not--you cannot-- feel that way! Of course we will have children--children are delightful! Families must have them!” he declared passionately, waving his hands in the air desperately.

–They are most certainly not delightful--as I said, Bilius was crying constantly; even my niece behaved quite immaturely--”

–Their immaturity is what makes them delightful! Children are--are--” He struggled to convey the sentiment, his mouth opening and closing helplessly.

Muriel raised her eyebrows with a degree of alarmed surprise. She interrupted loudly, –Armando, contain yourself! You are spouting utter nonsense!”

–In Merlin’s name, Muriel, how can you say such things? This is madness!” he cried.

–Armando!” she spat, the pitch of her voice rising. –You are being appallingly un-gentlemanlike!”

–I?! You are being appallingly unladylike! You--you loathe children!”

–How dare you insult me!” she screeched, rising from the table. –And why shouldn’t I loathe children? They’re horrid little monsters!”

For a moment, he merely stared at her with a distant, numb horror, hardly able to breathe. Was this the girl with hazel eyes, the sharp-witted girl he had been in love with since he was sixteen?

Then, abruptly, he stood. –Muriel, are you MAD?!”

She began shrieking, hurling abuse at him, those same hazel eyes bloodshot and those cheeks reddening to an ugly shade of maroon. Yet he was too angry, too hurt, to listen to another word she had to say. If she did not want to raise children with him, she had not truly agreed to marry him.

–--TO PUT UP WITH YOUR LUDICROUS BELIEFS AND CHURLISH SLURS ON MY SENSE OF REASON--”

–FINE!” he screamed, striding over to her place at the table, grabbing her left hand and, in one motion, sliding the engagement ring off her finger and dropping it on the fancy ceramic tile floor, where it landed with a small clang, spinning in quivery circles until it finally came to rest, flat.

She inhaled sharply, eyes widening in shock. He watched in fuming silence as she let out several shrill sobs. Then she slapped him across the face, turned on her heel, and stormed into the hall, pausing only to viciously snatch her coat and scarf from the hooks. Over her shoulder, she threw him one last furious glance; then she left, with a slammed door and a loud crack whose origins he could not determine. After all, there was no real difference between the sound of a Disapparition and the sound of a heart breaking.
End Notes:
Reviews are delicious. As long as they don't have any pickles in them, that is. I hate pickles.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=92991