Out of the Blue by Secret Marauder 90
Summary: This story weaves the tale of James and Lily from the day they met right up to their final days at Hogwarts. The issues, the resolution, her realization, and the decision.
Categories: Marauder Era Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 14 Completed: No Word count: 51470 Read: 33201 Published: 07/04/14 Updated: 05/30/15

1. A Fresh Start by Secret Marauder 90

2. A Long Road Ahead by Secret Marauder 90

3. Let the Games Begin by Secret Marauder 90

4. Playing Games by Secret Marauder 90

5. Questions by Secret Marauder 90

6. A Master Plan by Secret Marauder 90

7. It's All Set by Secret Marauder 90

8. A Long Weekend by Secret Marauder 90

9. A Trip by Secret Marauder 90

10. Camping by Secret Marauder 90

11. A Confused Week by Secret Marauder 90

12. Things Get Icy by Secret Marauder 90

13. A Happy Holiday by Secret Marauder 90

14. The Show by Secret Marauder 90

A Fresh Start by Secret Marauder 90
Author's Notes:
Lily's first day on the train ride to Hogwarts.
It was a beautiful day. The birds were happily chirping, the sun was shining and there wasn’t a cloud in the sky. It was a rather warm day for the first of September. The warmth had decided to stay a while longer putting everyone in a good mood. All but one, that is.

A small girl of only eleven years felt very lonely. Lily Evans sat on the Hogwarts Express all by herself, still taking it all in.

A few months ago she had received a letter that changed her life. Lily wasn’t a normal girl as she had thought. She knew her red hair and freckles made her stand out, but this was nothing in comparison; Lily was a witch. At first she was confused. What did this letter mean that she was a witch? Surely they couldn’t exist, but here was this letter telling her otherwise. Witches were usually those ugly women with hunchbacks, stringy hair, and a wart on the side of their nose. Was she to become one of them?

After the initial shock wore off she realized it may not be that bad. She could do magic, or at least would learn to. That’s what this Hogwarts place was for. This would be where she would meet others like her; fellow witches and wizards that would be her friends.

During the summer, Lily prepared for Hogwarts. She went to Diagon Alley to get her wand, robes, books, and potion supplies. She even spotted a few kids her age with similar items. She just knew she would enjoy her time at Hogwarts. She spent her time daydreaming and imagining what classes would be like, the friends she’d make. The first of September wasn’t coming quick enough.

Now, on this day of days, the day she dreamt of, she was found all by herself, without a friend in the world. She could hear the other kids laughing, having a good time, and she longed to go over. Something prevented her: fear.

Lily was afraid; afraid that no one would like her; afraid that it must have been a mistake. She would surely be sent back alone without having met anyone, friendless.

Lily was on the verge of tears when her compartment door slid open. A girl with long brown hair, beautiful brown eyes to match, and a friendly face peeped in.

–Hi,” the girl said cheerfully as she closed the door and sat down.

–Hi,” Lily replied.

–Do you mind if I sit here? My friend is being a jerk right now, and everywhere else seems to be full.”

–Not at all,” answered Lily, wondering who this girl was.

–My name’s Julianna,” the girl said. –What’s yours?”

–Nice to meet you, Julianna. My name is Lily Evans.”

–Hi Lily. Are you a first year as well?”

–Yes, this is my first time here with any of this. I didn’t know any of this magic business existed until my letter,” replied Lily.

–Oh, you must be Muggleborn.” At Lily’s quizzical look she added, –Your parents are non-magical.”

Lily didn’t know what to make of Julianna. It seemed she knew everything, but she was quite casual about the whole thing. Apparently not everyone was Muggleborn as she was.

There was a moment of silence as Lily digested what Julianna had said. Julianna just sat there, glad to be making a new friend.

–So what house do you hope to be in?” asked Julianna.

–House?” questioned a confused Lily.

–Oh, right,” Julianna remembered. –Well, every year all the first years have to be sorted into one of four houses: Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. I hope to be in Gryffindor like my mum and dad. My eldest brother Joe is in Gryffindor too, Year 6, but Troy’s a Year 4 Ravenclaw.”

–How many brothers do you have?” asked Lily in awe. She only had a sister, and presently they weren’t on good terms.

–Brothers? I have three. Joe is the oldest and he’s five years older. Then there’s Troy who’s three years older. Then Will two years younger. I’m the only girl apart from mum, but I don’t mind. I love them to death. I’m sure you’ll love them too when you see them. Dad made sure I’ll see them often enough.”

–I’d love to meet them,” said Lily. She was becoming quite fond of Julianna. Such an unusual name, but it fit her nicely.

–Do you want to see them now?” Julianna asked excitedly. –They could show you a little magic while they’re here.” And with that Julianna left in search of her brothers leaving Lily just as excited as her friend. Yes, she was definitely a friend.

As Lily sat there waiting for Julianna, she wondered how the sorting was done. Were there captains who picked their house members like at school? Maybe you had to complete a challenge and be sorted that way. All she hoped was the she would be sorted into Gryffindor with her new friend. Then suddenly the door slid open. Lily looked to the door to find two cute boys looking at her. One was rather tall and slender with beautiful black hair and silvery grey eyes. The other boy was also rather tall and slender, but not quite as tall as the first boy. His hazel eyes looked right into her emerald green eyes through a pair of glasses.

–Hello,” said the first boy. –My name is Sirius.”

–Hi,” said Lily as she wondered why they were there. –I’m Lily Evans.”

–Well, Lily Evans, I believe today is your lucky day,” said the second boy.

–Why is that,” wondered Lily.

–I believe you and I will be busy Friday night getting better acquainted. How about it, sweetie?” he answered.

At this Lily began to blush. She didn’t know whether to be flattered or furious. After all, he was being very forward to a complete stranger. She didn’t even know his name.

–Oh look, she blushing, Sirius. Looks like she hasn’t done this before. Double bonus for Miss Lily.”

Now she was upset. They were clearly making fun of her now. She may be Muggleborn, but she did know how to take care of herself.

–I don’t appreciate that tone of voice with me. I’ll have you know that there are plenty of boys back home who fancy me and it’s nothing new,” said Lily, her voice starting to rise as she stood up. –And don’t call me Miss Lily.”

Sirius looked amused at his friend as he stood there thinking, Man, he’s smitten. Now she’s in for it .

–Well then, Evans, be sure to call me if you change your mind about Friday night. I have a feeling we’ll be seeing a lot of each other.” And with that, the two of them left Lily in the compartment.

–I hope those two turn into toads,” she mumbled to herself. –They can rot in their slime together.” A few minutes later Julianna walked in looking slightly disappointed.

–Joe said that we’re almost there and couldn’t come, but he still wants to meet you. Maybe at dinner he will,” she said, cheering up a bit. –What’s wrong? You look like you’ve run into Peeves!”

–What in the world is a Peeves?” Lily said.

–Peeves is a prankster Poltergeist that torments students and gives the teachers no end of grief,” Julianna answered. –He apparently listens to nobody but the Bloody Baron, or so Joe tells me. I’ve never met either of them, but I’m sure Joe can’t be wrong. Why would he be?”

–You must be really close to your brothers,” observed Lily.

–I am, but Joe is my favourite. We do everything together,” she said.

–So we’re almost there?” Lily asked, getting a bit excited.

–Yeah. I guess we should change into our robes,” Julianna concluded.

As the Hogwarts Express neared Hogsmeade Station, the two girls talked as they got ready. They discussed their excitement about the day before Lily brought up the encounter with the boys.

–Did they really give you that much trouble? My neighbour is coming for their first year too, but it’s never been like that. I didn’t think boys could be so rude or forward with a stranger. I’m glad my friend isn’t like that,” Julianna said.

–Well I thought they just wanted to meet more first years at first, but I guess that’s not what they had in mind,” said Lily. –He didn’t even tell me his name.”

–We’re here,” Julianna said excitedly. And with all thoughts of that boy forgotten, Lily walked off the train with her new friend Julianna.
End Notes:
I know Snape is supposed to be in here, but for my purposes I decided that they didn't know each other before school and it was completely new for Lily. However, he will kind of be there as her friend before the whole fifth-year thing.
This is the first time I've written anything, so any feedback would be great!
A Long Road Ahead by Secret Marauder 90
Author's Notes:
The Sorting and the first evening.
--------

The first years’ first glimpse of Hogwarts was stunning. The sun had long since set, the sky was clear and full of stars, and a gentle mist hung over the lake.

Lily and Julianna sat in the same boat along with another girl and a boy, both of whom seemed to be glaring at them. That aside, the two girls were awestruck by the view. After arriving inside, the first years were greeted by one of the teachers.

–Good evening. My name is Professor McGonagall. In a few moments we will enter the Great Hall where you will each be sorted into one of the four houses: Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Each was named after the four founders and has their own history in this school.

–While you are here you house will be like your family. Any accomplishments will earn your house points. However, any rule-breaking and your house will lose points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the House Cup.”

–I hope our house wins,” Lily whispered to Julianna. She had taken a liking to Julianna on the train and hoped they would be sorted into the same house.

–Yeah, I hope we cream Slytherin,” Julianna whispered back. Coming from a family that were either in Ravenclaw or Gryffindor, she would like nothing better than to see Slytherin lose.

Julianna really wanted to be in Gryffindor like her parents. Joe was her favourite brother, and despite their age difference, she also wanted to be sorted into Gryffindor too. She felt she had certain ties with Gryffindor and wanted to prove herself worthy of them.

Clearing her throat, McGonagall said, –They are ready for you.”

Suddenly the doors opened and all eyes were on them as the first years followed Professor McGonagall to the front. At the front, a shabby hat sat on a stool.

–When I call your name, you will come forward and sit on the stool. I will place the hat on your head and the hat will then place you into your house,” said Prof. McGonagall.

Lily caught sight of the two boys from the train. They were silently giggling together, like two school girls. Then the boy with the glasses saw her looking, and then he winked at her before turning back to his friend.

–Black, Sirius” McGonagall called.

Sirius walked up and sat on the stool long enough for the hat to yell –Gryffindor,” and the table in front erupted in cheers.

Lily blushed a little bit, remembering him from the train, but then scolded herself for doing so.

–Hufflepuff.”

She wouldn’t let this boy or his silly friend get the best of her.

–Slytherin.”

–Oh no,” she thought. Where were they? Did they already say her name? Had she missed her chance?

–Evans, Lily.”

–This is it”, she thought as she walked up to the stool. As she sat down, she saw the big hat coming down over her eyes.

–What do we have here?” said the hat.

Who’s that, she wondered.

–I see a desire for action and longing to prove yourself. Indeed, you are anxious for adventure,” the hat pondered.

Petunia would never believe this, Lily thought, too much excitement for her.

–A daring one, hmm? I think you’re definitely in . . . GRYFFINDOR!”

Lily grinned as the hat was taken off, and she joined her fellow Gryffindors. Then she saw the first boy, Sirius, and went to sit in front of him rather than take the seat next to him.

–Foschi, Julianna.”

Lily’s head snapped to the front, praying she’d be put in Gryffindor too. After all, if her parents were in Gryffindor, and her brother Joe was in Gryffindor, chances were that Julianna would be too. At least that is what Lily was hoping.

As the hat was deciding, Sirius leaned forward and whispered to Lily, –Now she’s something. Don’t get me wrong, Evans. You’re pretty attractive too, but just look at her legs and that head of hair. It’s almost as nice as mine! I wouldn’t mind cozying up next to her with hot cocoa on a cold winter’s day in front of a fire. What a babe!”

Lily was about to give him a piece of her mind when,

–GRYFFINDOR!”

Lily clapped wildly with the rest of the Gryffindors while Julianna beamed as she took her seat next to Sirius. Lily didn’t say anything then, but she would definitely mention something later that night as a warning about him.

There were a few more Hufflepuffs and Ravenclaws. Another girl and boy joined Lily, Julianna and Sirius at the Gryffindor table. A Slytherin, a Ravenclaw, another Slytherin.

–Potter, James.”

That boy. Sirius and Julianna were watching with everybody else. Meanwhile Lily was praying once again.

Please, please, please be a Slytherin, or a Ravenclaw, or a Hufflepuff, she thought. Anything but . . .”

–GRYFFINDOR!”

Lily groaned while the rest of her house cheered. But as he sat next to Julianna and winked at her yet again, she decided she wouldn’t give him the satisfaction.

–HUFFLEPUFF!”

She sat up stiffly with her head up before looking at Julianna. Poor Julianna. She didn’t realize that she was seated between two of the world’s biggest prats. Well, she, Lily Evans, would be there for her friend, even if it meant being near those two bimbos.

After the sorting was complete, the Headmaster Professor Dumbledore - a white-haired wizard with half-moon spectacles - made a few announcements before starting the feast. The feast was composed of many of Lily’s favourite foods, and apparently a lot of Potter and Black’s favourite foods too. They had each taken a generous helping of every dish and were stuffing their faces. Once again Lily couldn’t help feeling sorry for Julianna. Although, she couldn’t help but notice that she was getting along fairly well with the two boys and holding her own with the amount of food.

–Maybe it’s because she grew up with three brothers that she gets along with boys so well,” thought Lily, who was starting to feel full.

After pudding, Prof. Dumbledore had a few final words before sending everyone off to bed. Lily and Julianna followed one of the Gryffindor Prefects up to the portrait of the Fat Lady. The Prefect gave the portrait the password (–thestral”) and led the first years inside. There they found themselves in the Gryffindor common room. Lily and Julianna found their way up to the girls’ dormitory, which was still empty, where they were finally able to talk.

–Some dinner, eh?” said Julianna, sitting on her bed.

–I’ll say,” replied Lily, who’d also found her bed. –You know those two boys you sat next to?”

–Boys?” said a girl from the doorway.

The girl walked in and sat down on a third bed which could only belong to her. She pulled out a mirror from Merlin knows where and began checking her curly blonde hair. Her eyes, they noticed, were a dark amethyst and her skin was a creamy white. She was fairly short, at least in comparison with Julianna who stood nearly a head taller than her.

Putting her mirror away the girl said, –So which boys are we talking about?” She added, –My name’s Amanda Marshall,” after seeing the confused look on their faces.

–Erm, my name’s Julianna and this is my friend Lily,” said Julianna. To Lily, Julianna said, –What about them?”

But before Lily could answer, Amanda cut in saying, –Are we actually going to talk about boys, or are we just noting their presence?”

Lily caught Julianna’s eye and knew they’d have to talk later, so Lily said to Amanda, –I guess we can talk about boys if you want to.”

–I think I’ll go find Joe before he gets cross at me for escaping so early. I’m sure he’ll want to congratulate me on making Gryffindor,” said Julianna as she left the dormitory.

–Who’s Joe? He must be older if he wants to congratulate her. Is he cute?” asked an interested Amanda in one breath.

–Joe is her older brother. He’s in year six, but I’ve never met him. He sounds nice, though. He and Julianna are really close,” answered Lily.

–But I want to know if he looks good,” Amanda said.

Lily didn’t know what to make of her new roommate.

–I suppose he must be rather handsome if Julianna’s anything to go by,” Amanda concluded. –She’s quite a looker herself.”

–Sirius thought so too,” said Lily, though more to herself.

–Sirius? Sirius Black? You’ve met him? Do you know him?” asked Amanda eagerly.

–You could say that,” Lily said. By this point, she had already changed to her pyjamas and was wondering where Julianna was. Putting her robe on she said, –I think I’ll see what’s keeping Julianna.”

–I’ll come with you,” replied Amanda who grabbed her own robe and closed the door behind her.

They found Julianna sitting by herself in an armchair next to the fire. She seemed to be thinking about something as she watched the fire happily crackling in the grate. It also appeared as though her eyes were glowing a reddish-orange reflected from the fire.

As Lily and Amanda went to join Julianna by the fire, four boys came down from their dormitory laughing. The three girls looked over to see who was laughing just and they boys noticed there were people in the common room and went to join them. When they got closer, Lily noticed the two boys from earlier on the train, Black and Potter, and rolled her eyes, gearing up for the conversation that was sure to follow.

–Evans, I was just looking for you,” James said.

–Oh were you, now,” Lily replied.

–I knew you’d be waiting up for me,” he said arrogantly.

–Really James,” said one of the new boys. –Can’t you be nicer?”

–I don’t think you realize, Remus, that Evans enjoys this attention,” Sirius explained.

While this was happening, Julianna had returned her gaze to the fire and was thinking about nothing in particular, and Amanda had begun to take in all the masculinity. She had grown up with her Muggle mother and Muggle aunt and cousin. Being surrounded by females had made her particularly inexperienced with boys and she had a fascination with them. These boys were quite cute, but seemed to be focused on Lily at the moment. In fact, they were so engrossed with their conversation that everyone had failed to notice that Julianna had gotten up, snuck up behind James, and was about to frighten him.

–BOO!” Julianna said loudly, grabbing James’ shoulders at the same time. James didn’t flinch; it was everyone else that was shocked.

–No fair! I thought you didn’t see me,” Julianna said to James, slightly hurt that it didn’t work.

–You’ve been trying that for years,” James answered. –I’ve been trained to see you. Besides, you got everyone else,” he added, trying to cheer her up.

–Oh you’re on, Jay, just you wait,” Julianna teased.

–Wait!” interrupted Lily. –You know him?” she asked in disbelief, pointing at James.

–He’s my neighbour I told you about. Why?”

–He’s the git that bothered me on the train.”

–Jules, you know this catch?” James asked.

Julianna turned to James saying, –Seriously? Are we doing this again?”

–James, you know this hot tamale?” Sirius asked, pointing at Julianna.

The conversation continued before one of the Prefects came down and scolded them for still being up. As Lily dragged herself up to the dormitory with Julianna and Amanda, she quickly understood that as good a friend as Julianna was, she had a connection with Potter that must be severed. And she realized that this was not the end of her Potter woes.

--------
End Notes:
Things should start to pick up soon. I would really appreciate any feedback. What do you think of the characters so far?
Let the Games Begin by Secret Marauder 90
Author's Notes:
Third year has now begun, and with it new classes and Hogsmeade.
--------

Lily had no idea how right she was. Julianna was indeed a good friend, and Amanda turned out to be a good one too. However, Potter had turned into even more of a conceited cockroach. He was always going about the castle, showing off to anyone that would care to listen how great he was. It pained Lily to think that he actually was good in their classes. What was worse was that he didn’t even try hard during class and would never do his homework, which he happily bragged about too, whereas Lily tried extra hard to make sure she kept up with everyone else. She was pretty good at her classes, really, but she wanted to be sure not to give anyone, mainly Potter, a reason to doubt her abilities. The Potions teacher, Professor Slughorn, in particular thought she was brilliant, and the Charms teacher, Professor Flitwick, was absolutely charmed by her. It didn’t take her long before realizing that Potter was someone to avoid at all costs.

All through first and second year, she had avoided him as best she could. It didn’t help that they were both in the same year and both in Gryffindor, but somehow she succeeded. The library was a convenient spot where Potter and his friends never went. It was also during these years that Potter and his friends took a slight break in their usual antics and became secluded. To Lily’s dismay, this didn’t last long. In fact, they came back with a vengeance. A few times they even had Julianna in on things landing all five of them in detention.

On one such occasion on Halloween in second year, the four boys thought it would be funny to behead all the suits of armour and have orange-coloured goo ooze out of them every time a student walked past one. It turned out this was Julianna’s brainchild, but Potter and Black were the mastermind executors with Lupin and Pettigrew to aid in this effort. It took them two nights of detention to mop up the orange goo because the charm they had used didn’t seem to be wearing off as soon as they had originally thought.

Julianna’s constant affiliation with the four boys was starting to put a slight strain on their friendship, though. Potter was a constant nuisance, proud about his accomplishments, arrogant about his 'brilliance' and right down egotistical about everything. Julianna was just too friendly with Potter for their friendship to be more pleasant. And Lily wanted that friendship; with Severus Snape as a friend, she felt she needed some form of a female companion, especially a friend that was actually in Gryffindor.

Over the summer, Lily had decided to just talk to Julianna directly about it. While on the train ride to Hogwarts, she had explained to Julianna that she needed someone she could trust, someone she could count on when dealing with things, particularly Potter and his friends. She didn’t want any of that nonsense there was last year, such as the Christmas Caper where they had coerced Peeves into carrying mistletoe everywhere around the school with him and purposely stopping above people, singing horribly off-key carols until the unwilling couples had kissed. Julianna was slightly put off as she had enjoyed these adventures, as she put it, but would attempt to not be as involved with them.

This year will be different, thought Lily. We’ll all go our separate ways with our chosen classes, and the Hogsmeade trips every once in a while will be a delightful change.

Yes, third year had arrived. Everyone was excited to get their schedules to see when their classes were. In addition to their regular classes, they were able to add classes of more interest.

The morning after the sorting and welcome feast had finally come signalling the start of classes, much to the displeasure of the student body. Lily, on the other hand, was excited as their first class was double Charms, followed by Herbology, lunch, and in the afternoon Defense Against the Dark Arts, and double Muggle Studies.

–Why did you take Muggle Studies? You’re Muggleborn,” Julianna asked Lily, conscious of their discussion the previous day on the train.

–I thought it’d be an easy mark. Why’d you take it? You’re father’s Muggleborn,” Lily replied.

–I honestly don’t know, but how hard can it be, really?” Julianna answered.

* * *

After Defense on Monday, Lily and Julianna made their way to Muggle Studies. Upon arriving they saw a fairly young wizard at the front who couldn’t have been more than twenty-four. He wasn’t terribly tall, an average height, but he appeared very fit. Even with his robes on, you could tell he had well-defined muscles. Not bulky, but toned. He had a head of short, light brown hair, and a face that was kind, but intelligent.

The two walked in and sat down near the front next to Rebecca, a Hufflepuff in their year.

–Is that our teacher?” Rebecca asked.

–He’s so young,” Julianna observed.

–Looks like it’ll be a decent class,” Lily noted as she watched the students enter. –Nobody to ruin -”

But what nobody was there to ruin, Julianna and Rebecca never found out because at that moment three laughing boys walked in.

–Miss me much, Evans?” James asked when he saw the look of shock on her face. He sat down with his friends Sirius Black and Remus Lupin at the back of the class.

–Good afternoon everyone,” the young wizard at the front said, and not a moment too soon. Lily looked just about ready to kill.

–My name is Professor Codrington and I will be teaching Muggle Studies. This will be a different class setting than you’re used to as I believe in a more practical approach to teaching than just taking notes. So, throughout the year there will be a few hands-on lessons. Now, how many of you are Muggleborn?”

A few students raised their hands wondering where Professor Codrington was going with it.

–Excellent. You can be our professionals and help us in our discussion. So I’ll let the rest of you get a chance to speak by asking you what are the advantages and disadvantages of being a Muggle.”

The rest of the class was spent in a rousing discussion about the pros and cons of being a Muggle. Much to Lily’s displeasure, James proved to be useful throughout. He posed good question to further the discussion while Sirius was brilliant at being the devil’s advocate. At the end of class, Professor Codrington set them a roll of parchment on being a Muggle.

–But why would he tell us to write about something we spent the entire class talking about? It’s not real homework, then, is it,” Rebecca was saying to Lily, as a group of third-year Gryffindor students walked out of class.

–I guess he just wants to make sure we were paying attention in class. You know, make sure we understand and all that,” Julianna replied.

–Well I think he’s a fantastic teacher. It was a wonderful lesson and I can’t wait to see what he has prepared for the rest of the year,” said Lily.

–Forget the rest of the year, I can’t wait until the next class,” said Lori, another Hufflepuff.

–What do you think he meant by having hands-on lessons?” questioned Rebecca.

–Maybe we’re going outside,” Lily suggested.

–I’d go anywhere with him,” said Lori.

–Well, we’ll just have to see what he comes up with for the next class,” concluded Julianna, trying to change the subject.

* * *

And so the third years went through the week unable to wait for Monday to come. It was especially hard for them to sit through all their double lessons which included Potions and Transfiguration. Julianna was even trying extra hard to avoid contact with James and his friends. When Monday finally arrived, the whole class turned up early, including James and Sirius.

–Good afternoon everyone. How many of you enjoy sports?” asked Professor Codrington.

About two thirds of the class raised their hands.

–How about Muggle sports?”

Only two people raised their hands.

–Well, the rest of you are going to learn. Now, one of the most popular Muggle sports is football, or as the Americans like to call it, soccer.”

The next part of the class was spent with Professor Codrington explaining what the one and only ball looked like, the players’ names and position, the rules, and how it was played.

–How are you supposed to play without brooms, though,” Sirius asked.

–You run after it and kick it with your feet,” Professor Codrington told him.

–So you mean to tell me that I have to run? Why would I do that?” he asked again.

–It’s called exercise, Black,” Lily told him, rolling her eyes.

–Who needs exercise? Look at me! Honestly, I think the Greeks must have fashioned their gods after me!”

–People exercise to stay healthy and fit,” said Julianna.

–I am healthy. I’m fit as a fiddle,” Sirius replied.

–Fit includes some form of muscle,” Lily pointed out.

–I do have muscle!” said Sirius.

–You’re thirteen! How much muscle can you have?”

–Wouldn’t you like to know,” James commented.

–I’ll have you know my muscles are coming in just fine, thanks,” said Sirius with a note of finality.

–You just keep telling yourself that,” Julianna said, smirking to herself.

–Whatever gets you through the day,” said Lily.

Sirius was about to continue, but Codrington cut in saying, –Alright. Now we’ll see if you’ve been listening. Everyone follow me.” So the class got up and followed Codrington out of the classroom and down the hall.

–Where’s he taking us?”

–I think we’re going outside.”

–Maybe we’re going to watch a football match.”

Codrington led them outside to an open field. There was an extremely large rectangle marked on the grass with various other markings inside it. At either end there were two large nets.

–I think he wants us to play,” Lily said to Julianna.

–That is correct Miss Evans. The only way to fully grasp football is to play it. I will split you into two teams and then you’ll play. I will be the referee.”

The first team included Riley - a Ravenclaw, Remus, Lori, Lily, and to her horror, James. The second team comprised of Sirius, Julianna, Rebecca, Gethin - a Ravenclaw, and Fabian - a Hufflepuff. Each of the teams were given a moment to strategize.

–Right, who’s the slowest runner?” James asked his team, diving right in head first. Riley raised his hand. –OK, so you’ll be the keeper.”

–You mean the goalie,” Lily corrected.

–Exactly. All the rest of us need to do is get the ball into the other net.”

–And remember not to touch the ball with your hands, except for Riley,” added Lily.

–Why’s he so special?” Remus asked.

–It’s the rules, Lupin.”

–The rules say only Riley can touch the ball?”

–Weren’t you paying attention in class? The goalie. Only the goalie, which on our team is Riley, can touch the ball. You know, to stop it from going in the net,” Lily said, talking slowly for Remus to follow along.

–Wow, Evans” James said in awe. –Anything else?”

–Don’t let the ball go out of bounds. The big rectangle.”

–Everybody ready?” Professor Codrington asked. –The match starts with a kick off. One person from each team will try to get the ball after it’s dropped and get it to their team to try and score.”

Riley and Gethin headed toward their net. James and Sirius headed toward the centre, and their teams were behind them.

–Ready?” Codrington asked.

The ball was dropped. James took early possession, but Sirius came and took it. He kicked it to Julianna who then ran with the ball in front and managed to score.

–Blimey. Where did that come from?” Sirius asked Julianna.

–I didn’t know you could run that fast,” James told her.

–Yeah,” Sirius added, –those legs can run.”

–Enough with her legs already,” Remus sighed.

–Come on. My dad’s an Italian Muggleborn. How could I not know how to play?” Julianna said to them, ignoring Sirius’ and Remus’ comments. Then going back to her team with Sirius she said, –And that’s how it’s played. Now that they’ve seen it, I expect it won’t be as easy. We’ll need the two of you to help defend the net. Keep the ball away, but make sure the goalie can see. Sirius and I will get the ball and try to get it in their net. OK?”

The class continued playing well after class was over. Sometimes it looked like James’ team was winning. At others it was Julianna’s team who was winning. Meanwhile, Sirius kept trying to touch the ball when it came his way.

–What now?” Sirius complained, the ball in his hands again.

–Mr. Black, do you remember at the start of class when we talked about the rules?” Codrington asked politely.

–Maybe,” Sirius mumbled in reply.

Julianna ran over to Sirius saying, –Try your head.”

–I know where my thinking is supposed to come from,” Sirius snapped.

–No, I mean use your head instead of your hands. You’re allowed to butt the ball with your head as long as your hands don’t touch it,” she explained, impatient with how many times the match had to be stopped because of him.

–You know how fond Black is of using his hands, Julie,” Lily said to her.

–Hey!” Sirius said.

–Well it’s true,” Lily mumbled to herself.

And so the match continued without many more stops courtesy of Sirius. It wasn’t until Remus looked at his watch before they realized how late it was. In the end it was Julianna’s experience that bested James’ competitiveness.

–It’s no Quidditch,” Sirius said, –but it’ll do.”

–Even without brooms and the use of your hands?” James asked him.

–Who said anything about not using your hands?” asked Sirius. –How do you think Lori fell into that patch of mud?”

--------
End Notes:
So much fun! Again, please take one measly little minute to review. Please!
Playing Games by Secret Marauder 90
Author's Notes:
The first Quidditch match of the year and dates to Hogsmeade.
--------

Muggle Studies was the talk of the school. Everyone taking it couldn’t wait for the next class. Those who hadn’t chosen it were desperately trying to get into it. Class sizes could not be switched by that point, though.

Now that the school year was in full swing, the Gryffindor Quidditch team was constantly practicing. They had become obsessed after gaining James and Julianna as Chasers last year, and now Sirius had recently joined the team this year as the third Chaser. Julianna and James, having grown up together as neighbours, had played together so often that their experience together was a great asset.

–I mean it,” James was telling Sirius, Remus, Peter, Julianna, and really anyone else in the common room that would listen to him. –Our Chasers are really looking solid this year. And I think our Keeper has made some great changes to her game this past summer.”

–I know,” Sirius added. –All we need now are a pair of Beaters that don’t have spaghetti arms.” Sirius looked around the room before lowering his voice and adding, –Even if our Captain is one of them.”

–And a Seeker that isn’t colour blind to gold,” Julianna said. –Honestly, how can you not see a bright golden thing hovering two feet in front of your face,” she said angrily, remembering their latest practice just the other day.

–I don’t know,” replied Lily. She was trying to do her homework, but of course Potter had to be there, bragging loudly about himself, a non-stop prattling about their practicing. But she couldn’t help giving in her two bits. –The Ravenclaw team is looking pretty strong too. Especially that Keeper of theirs, Matt Bell.” Lily picked up her books and parchment, turned to Julianna and said, –You had a tough time against him last year, Julie. Do you remember that?”

Julianna flushed a little a mumbled something inarticulate.

–What was that?” James asked her.

–I said don’t remind me,” Julianna replied a little louder than was necessary.

James smirked at this, but wisely didn’t pursue it. Lily and Amanda also noticed as they walked out of the common room in pursuit of the much quieter library where they were to meet up with Severus Snape - a Slytherin in their year - to study, but Sirius was completely oblivious.

–Wait, I thought we beat Ravenclaw not problem last year?”

–We did,” James answered.

–Well then, why is -”

–Never mind,” Remus uttered with a sigh.

* * *

As Gryffindor’s upcoming match became closer, the team was practicing nearly every night before and after dinner. The rest of the team began complaining amongst themselves about their slave-driver of a captain. Although Gryffindor was playing Hufflepuff, the Ravenclaw team thought it wise to watch one Gryffindor practice, just to see their competition.

–Why do they have to be here?” Julianna said in a strange manner, nodding toward a group of students sitting in the stands.

–Oi! You lot! Get a move on, this is a closed practice!” Spencer Wood, the Gryffindor captain, yelled at the Ravenclaw team.

–We don’t face you at the next match! It’s fair game!” Ashely Bell, Matt’s older sister and Ravenclaw Captain, yelled back, with a satisfied smile.

–Hmph,” was all Wood had in reply as he led his team to the centre of the pitch.

Meanwhile James was grinning to himself over Julianna’s reaction. She had turned abruptly and stalked away, brow furrowed.

–Hey Jules,” he called. –Can you ask Evans to go out with me on the next Hogsmeade trip?”

–Like she’d go with you,” she replied rather rudely.

–It’s that time of the month again,” Sirius sang in James’ ear.

–Ew,” said James, pulling a face, while Julianna got on her broom and sped off to do a few laps before starting.

* * *

–She’s nuts,” Lily said to Amanda and Marlene, their other roommate, at breakfast the Saturday morning of the first Quidditch match. It was also the day before the first Hogsmeade trip, which oddly happened to be on a Sunday.

–Don’t let her hear you,” Marlene warned.

Julianna had gotten up at 5:30 that morning to go for a jog outside before breakfast. After returning to the dormitory, she had showered, but then proceeded to stretch for the next half hour. She was now gorging herself on food, rivalling Sirius and James.

–She’ll get sick eating that much,” Lily countered, although she was really referring to Julianna’s unusual schedule that morning.

–Well I admire her dedication,” replied Amanda.

–You’re all nuts,” Julianna said, clearly having heard the whole conversation. –Pass the bacon and eggs, would you, Am? I couldn’t sleep, so I cleared my head by jogging. Now I’m eating to make up for that, and then some for extra energy during the match,” she explained.

–Hear, hear,” Sirius shouted, raising his morning orange juice in toast before downing the lot.

Lily just rolled her eyes as she got up to leave. She had promised Severus that they would study for Potions before going to watch the Quidditch match.

* * *

–. . . And Black passes to Potter, Potter back to Black, Foschi, Potter, Potter’s at the hoops, GRYFFINDOR SCORE!” Martin Arnolds shouted. –Gryffindor - thirty, Hufflepuff - thirty.”

–Come on, team, I know you can do better,” yelled Wood.

–Then make sure the bloody Bludger stays away from us,” James yelled back.

–You tell him Jim,” Sirius commented.

–Jim?” asked Julianna, but Sirius just shrugged.

–Hufflepuff in possession, Wood hits a Bludger and Potter catches the Quaffle. Potter to Foschi, Foschi to Black, but Macmillan intercepts. Macmillan to Fawcett, Fawcett to Bones, Bones drops the Quaffle which is caught by Potter again. POTTER SCORES AGAIN! That leaves Gryffindor - forty, Hufflepuff - thirty.”

–That’s what I’m talking about,” Wood yelled.

–Shut up, Wood,” James said under his breath. –Honestly.”

–Gryffindor wastes no time, Black to Foschi, FOSCHI SCORES! Another ten points for Gryffindor.”

–That’s the -”

–WOOD!” James shouted, annoyed with all the pep talk.

–BLACK SCORES! Wait . . . I think Hufflepuff has caught sight of the Snitch. Diggory’s on the move, but Spinnet’s right on his tail. He has his arm outstretched . . . Who will reach it first?! . . . GRYFFINDOR WIN!”

Jack Spinnet punched the air with the Snitch balled in his fist as the Gryffindor team flew over to him and toppled to the ground in one massive heap. There would be celebrating in the Gryffindor Tower that night.

Remus and Peter had gone to congratulate James and Sirius, meanwhile Lily, Marlene, and Amanda had run over to Julianna to do just the same.

–Ew, you stink,” commented Amanda.

–I think it’s called effort. Or hard work. Isn’t it wonderful?” Julianna said, suddenly wrapping her arms around Amanda in a tight, smelly hug.

–Gross,” she said, fighting to get loose.

–Just go shower,” Lily commented.

–Nice to know I’m appreciated,” Julianna called after them.

The stadium was already clearing as Gryffindors made their way back in to celebrate. The Hufflepuffs didn’t want to prolong their loss and had already disappeared, while the Slytherins hadn’t even stayed to see Gryffindor win. There were a few Ravenclaws who lingered, Julianna had noticed.

Probably to taunt us, Julianna thought. Their next game would be against Ravenclaw three weeks after the Hogsmeade trip.

–Hey Foschi, next time you won’t be so lucky. We’d never let you catch up!” Ashley Bell said, referring to Hufflepuff’s early lead, before leaving to go back to the castle.

–Sheer luck! I’ve seen Spinnet play and he won’t be doing that in our next game,” someone else on the Ravenclaw team commented.

It was with great effort that Julianna kept her cool. It was the thought of winning, and helping out with that win that allowed her to continue toward the showers. Alysia Howard, the Gryffindor Keeper, was probably long gone, so she would have it to herself.

–Foschi,” another voice called to her.

–Yeah yeah, I know,” she said without even looking back. –Lucky break, won’t happen again, I get it.”

–I don’t know; your Chasers are pretty quick. Good job out there,” the voice continued.

–We’ll be here all week,” Julianna replied, still moving toward the showers.

–I may not be able to stop them all.”

At that, Julianna finally stopped and turned around to see who it was, their comment oozing with sarcasm. It obviously wasn’t a Gryffindor, but they must be on their House team.

–Oh,” she said quietly to herself, slightly surprised to see who it was.

–You gave me a run for my money last year,” Matt Bell commented. –You guys are really tight. And your arm is dangerous.”

Julianna flushed a little, at first proud that her playing was being praised, but then the colour deepened because of flushing at the praise.

–Did you play before Hogwarts?” Matt continued.

–What do you want?” Julianna asked.

–Just small talk. As a Keeper, I’m interested in who I’m up against. As a Chaser, you provide that interest.”

Smooth, she thought.

Julianna saw Lily come back out with Amanda to find out what was taking so long. Then, when they caught sight of her and who she was talking to, she was eager to finish the conversation and hop into the shower before they arrived.

–Look, I don’t mean to be rude, but is there something you want? My friends are making their way over and I was supposed to be showering before heading in. You see, they think I smelled after playing, even though it was physical activity which they don’t get, and -”

–I just came to congratulate you and wondered if you’d like to go to Hogsmeade with me? You know, keep your friends close and your enemies closer,” Matt said with a mischievous glint in his eyes.

She was planning on going with Lily and Amanda. She had already dated Frank and Gideon, if you could call it dating when you’re only twelve, which didn’t go over very well. Then, when Jordan had asked her out she had flat out refused. They were only thirteen, after all. Well, Matt was a year older, so he was fourteen. But having been caught off guard, she became flustered and ended up nodding instead of shaking her head.

–Great. I’ll meet you outside the castle at noon,” he said, and immediately turned and left.

For a few moments Julianna watched his curly, dark brown haired head walk away before it turned around the corner.

What just happened? she thought to herself. But she didn’t have long to think because Lily and Amanda were much closer and she still had to get showered.

She had just narrowly escaped, but knew she wouldn’t be let off the hook that easily. Not when they had clearly seen her talking to him. She couldn’t even think his name for fear someone would know. But know what, exactly? That she was socializing with the enemy, their rivals, the House to beat.

Julianna quickly went to the change room to shower and get dressed for the inevitable Gryffindor party and a dreadful interrogation from her friends.

* * *

–I wasn’t worried for a second, were you?” James asked Sirius.

–Nah, piece of cake,” Sirius answered.

–Best - Team - EVER!” Wood said excitedly, hugging his team.

–I swear I’ll hex you back to first year if you continue,” James warned Wood.

Still beaming at their triumph, but getting the hint, Wood walked off to talk with Jack Spinnet, the Gryffindor Seeker, and Kyle Peterson, his fellow Beater.

–Git doesn’t know when to quit,” commented James to his three friends.

–Where’s Julianna?” Remus wondered out loud.

–Probably down in the kitchens with the excuse that she needs to replenish herself again,” Peter commented.

Lily and Amanda walked back through the portrait hole, heads together in quick whispers.

–Hey Evans, I know you’re talking about me. No need to keep your voice down,” James said.

Lily rolled her eyes and said, –In your dreams, Potter.”

–Yes, you are.”

Lily ignored that and continued to whisper with Amanda as they made their way up to their dormitory where Marlene was sure to be.

–Evans, Hogsmeade?” James called after her.

–No,” she said flat out. –Can’t you use full sentences? I’m not an animal . . . Gross, Potter. Seriously?”

–Somebody call me?” Sirius asked.

–I’ll have you know I’m a prized commodity. Girls are lining up to go with me,” James said. Noting Lily’s glare, he said, –Fine. Amanda, Hogsmeade?”

–Sure,” she said without a thought.

–Great. Common Room at eleven,” replied James, who then went back to his friends and celebrating their Quidditch victory.

–What was that?!” Lily asked, disgusted.

–He asked, I accepted. So what?” Amanda said trying to brush it off.

When the two reached their dormitory, Marlene was indeed there already.

–You’ll never guess who I’m going to Hogsmeade with tomorrow!” Amanda gushed.

Rolling her eyes, Lily went over to her bed and took out her History of Magic textbook, beginning the readings for the upcoming week. It was an awful class; it was so boring. In fact, it was quite useless. But the readings had to be done at some time, and during girl talk about Potter was as good a time as any.

However, this was largely unsuccessful. She was also thinking about Hogsmeade the next day. It had happened very privately, so not even Julianna was aware, but on her way out of the library last night, she had encountered Remus there. Of all of Potter’s friends, Remus was at least manageable. In fact, he was quite pleasant when he was on his own. That was why she accepted his offer to go to Hogsmeade together. But she felt a little guilty having promised Julianna and Amanda they’d go together, not to mention he was one of Potter’s insufferable friends and she had already told Julianna that they were to steer clear of any of the four.

No, she would not go around feeling guilty about it. Julianna would just have to either go by herself, or sucker Sirius into taking her. Poor sod if he does take her. She could be a feisty one. Unless . . .

Lily had been too far away to tell, but it looked like Julianna was speaking with Matt on the field just half an hour ago. She had escaped before they arrived giving her plenty of time to compose herself. And the way she behaved the other day when Lily had mentioned Matt from the Ravenclaw team giving her trouble last year . . .

Lily couldn’t know for sure. Julianna was always different: while the girls in their dormitory preferred shopping, Julianna went for a run; while the girls talked about boys, Julianna would rather play Quidditch; instead of sleepovers with make-up (which Julianna fondly called –fake-up”), painting nails, ice cream and chocolate, Julianna opted to go with Potter and his friends gallivanting around the castle, pranking to their hearts content. At least that’s what she had done last year. So far she had kept her word at unnecessarily being around Potter. She couldn’t help Quidditch practice. No, Julianna was not typical, and as such, hard to figure out.

Maybe she liked Matt and didn’t want to talk about it. Maybe she liked him and didn’t want to admit it, even to herself. Maybe she didn’t want to admit that she wanted to talk about it. Maybe she was terrified of relationships. Maybe she didn’t want to spoil her reputation as the resident tomboy, marauding about with Potter and friends. With regards to her feelings, Julianna was hopelessly reserved. Lily knew Julianna’s temper would flare up the moment she mentioned it, but was that because of Matt or because she actually had no patience for it?

Best stay quiet, Lily decided, at least for now. She would just have to settle for her own 'thing' with Remus, whatever that could be.

–The nerve,” Julianna said to herself as she burst into the dormitory. She dropped her things in her trunk and then left just as suddenly.

–What just happened?” Amanda asked.

–Who knows,” answered Marlene, not concerned about it. She and Julianna didn’t quite see eye to eye all the time.

Unable to focus on reading, Lily got up to check on Julianna, especially since she wasn’t prepared to tell the girls her plans for Hogsmeade quite yet.

--------
End Notes:
I promise it will start picking up soon! The next chapter pushes ahead to year five where I'll be spending a bit of time. Please review!
Questions by Secret Marauder 90
Author's Notes:
It's the beginning of fifth year. Someone accepts a date, and a bunch of questions follow.
--------

Hogsmeade was awful. First of all, the weather was uncooperative. It was too cold to rain, but too warm to snow. Secondly, because Potter and Black decided to pull a prank on Hufflepuff to gloat about winning, they were given detention during the trip and Amanda had lost her date. For Lily, Remus was miserably quiet. When he did speak, all he spoke about were his despicable friends. They seemed to have nothing in common. Lily should have known that there was no way something would come from that - not one of Potter’s friends.

While Lily was having the worst first date of her life, Amanda wasn’t even on one courtesy of Potter, and Julianna was nowhere to be found. She had disappeared early in the morning, and just before dinner had turned up with stuff from Honeyduke’s - the sweets shop in Hogsmeade, and Zonko’s - the joke shop. Nobody was aware of who she was with, but Lily suspected and she had to admit it was fifty times better than being with Potter or Black in detention. But that was the end of her secretive behaviour for the rest of the school year with regard to Matt. Even if James was becoming upset with Julianna for abandoning him, Julianna had begun to earn Lily’s trust - something that she did want.

For the students who took it, Muggle Studies continued to be an awesome class. However, some of the other courses were much more difficult. James, Sirius, and Remus had each taken Arithmancy and Ancient Runes, the more difficult courses, just to prove that they could do it. Lily was on the same page with wanting to prove herself, so she took them as well. But she wished she hadn’t the moment she realized who else was in the class. Not wanting to give Potter the satisfaction, though, Lily had stubbornly decided to stick with it. Julianna took them because at the time she was better friends with James and felt like she was dared into it, but she also didn’t want to be left out. These five were the only Gryffindors to take them, though. Arithmancy in particular was filled with Ravenclaw students, eager for the knowledge and high level of learning that was required. To the dismay of James, Sirius, and Remus, Snape had also taken Arithmancy and was quite the bright little grease ball. If any pranks were to be pulled in that class, Snape was the unfortunate scapegoat, especially once Lily came to his aid in defending him.

Third year went on without many problems. Sure those four irritating imbeciles kept pranking around the school, but Lily plugged on with Julianna and occasionally Snape to preoccupy herself with. Their holiday pranks were becoming quite the event to look forward to among Hogwarts students. Julianna suspected that even Dumbledore himself rather enjoyed them too. That Christmas in third year saw the typical twelve Christmas trees suspended upside-down on the last day of term, ornaments still dangling right-side-up. The Easter break had unbearable amounts of multi-coloured rabbits infesting the school and multiplying every time someone tried to catch them. It was especially funny when one of the red rabbits started chasing Snape around the castle all day.

When the end of third year arrived and the exams were finally finished, Julianna kept trying to invite Lily to stay over with her at some point during the summer during the train ride home.

–Yeah, and live next to that?” Lily said, nodding toward Potter huddled and whispering out in the hall of the Hogwarts Express. –I think I’ll pass on that one. But you’re more than welcome to come over to my place for a visit. I don’t think Petunia will be around much. From mum’s last letter, it sounds as though she’s found herself a beau . . . my mum’s words, not mine,” she added hastily after seeing Julianna’s eyebrow raise.

But Julianna never visited Lily that summer. She was busy in Italy with her family visiting relatives of her father’s. So Lily spent most of her summer evading her sister, Petunia, and her new boyfriend - a strange boy named Vernon who always gave her the most curious stares. On days when he was over, Lily tended to leave the house altogether and roam the neighbourhood, sometimes accompanied by Severus who lived nearby.

As usual, the summer holiday ended too soon. The first of September had come again bringing with it fourth year. In James’ and Sirius’ opinions, it was a thoroughly uneventful waste of a year.

–What did we learn?” asked James on the train at the end of their fourth year.

–Well, we learned that just because Snape’s hair is greasy doesn’t mean that his clothes should be too,” Sirius tried to answer helpfully.

Remus’ head turned quickly when he heard that and asked in disbelief, –You actually learnt that?”

–What I meant was that we learned that that’s what Snape thinks,” replied Sirius quickly. –I only learnt that Snape can get pretty upset with us when his clothes match the rest of him. It’s too bad the scumbag had Evans there to get upset with him.”

–She was awfully angry,” reflected Peter, carefully selecting a few choice sweets from the trolley.

–I don’t get how a Gryffindor as clever as her can be stupid enough to befriend a Slytherin like that,” James said with disgust once everyone had bought what they wanted from the trolley and the door had closed.

–Just show her the wonderfulness of Gryffindors,” Remus said.

–We’ll just have to prove to her next year how dirtbags don’t make good friends,” Sirius concluded with an all too mischievous grin on his face.

* * *

–OWLs are this year,” said James’ mother to him before leaving for the Hogwarts Express at the end of that summer, –so I don’t want to hear you’re completely wasting your time.”

It was the first of September of their fifth year and, like most other young wizards, James was getting ready for the start of term.

–Yes mum,” James said. Did that mean some time-wasting was alright?

–I want to hear you’re studying to do the best you can.”

–Yes mum.”

–These OWLs are important for your future.”

–I know, mum.”

–And I don’t want to hear about any more detentions like I did last year.”

–Yes mum.” Did that mean she expected and was okay with the same amount?

–And all those pranks . . . keep them to a minimum.”

–Yes mum.” Was she fine with some pranking then? James had the distinct impression that his mother was saying all this half-heartedly.

–And tell Sirius the same goes for him. I don’t know where the pair of you got all this from,” she added offhandedly.

–Oh, he will.” James wasn’t about to let Sirius off the hook. He knew Sirius’ mother wouldn’t give him the 'buckle up and study hard' speech, nor did she particularly care how Sirius turned out as long as he wasn’t around her.

With James and his parents in tow, they made their way to King’s Cross Station and on to platform nine and three quarters where all the other Hogwarts students were saying their goodbyes to their parents. There they found Sirius, who had left his parents and brother at the other end of the platform, Peter, whose mother had already said goodbye and had to run to work, and Julianna chatting away.

–Julianna, how are you?” asked Mrs Potter, giving her a hug.

–I’m fine, thanks,” she replied, happily returning the hug. –How’re you?”

–Oh, we’re plugging away,” said Mrs Potter.

–At least as best we can what with You-Know-Who up and about,” Mr Potter added rather casually.

–Now Henry,” Mrs Potter chastised. –You know what Dumbledore said about names and fear.”

–And you know how he gives me the willies,” retorted Mr Potter, shivering. –Hello Julianna. Where are your parents?”

–Hi, sir. They’re over there,” Julianna replied, pointing to a spot somewhere behind a group of students.

–Excellent,” Mr Potter said trying to find them. –Well, you kids have a good term. And James, try not to be too much like yourself, alright?”

–What’s that supposed to mean?” James called after his father with Sirius, Peter, and Julianna laughing.

–Bye sweetie,” said Mrs Potter, giving her son a kiss goodbye. –You too, Sirius,” she added as Sirius willingly went over for his hug.

–Sweet lady, your mum,” said Sirius fondly as he watched her join Mr Potter with Julianna’s parents.

–Well, I’m off,” said Julianna. –I have to go find Lily, and I probably shouldn’t be seen with you lot when I find her.”

–What do you mean, us lot?” James asked in an attempt to look offended.

–Well mate, you know how fond Evans is of you,” Sirius said to James.

–Yeah. Last time she saw you she tried to get your broom to push you off the train,” added Peter.

–You’re lucky we need to find Remus, or I would insist on dogging you until you did find her,” James told Julianna as she walked off in search of Lily.

–I’d say I was the one to dog,” Sirius said thoughtfully. –You’re more likely to high-tail her.”

–We haven’t quite managed that, so I can still dog whomever I choose,” replied James. And the three boys boarded the train in search of Remus.

Meanwhile Julianna was still walking through the halls trying to find Lily. She had managed to find Amanda, and they were now looking into every compartment for her. They had just left a group of third-year Ravenclaw boys, one of which was another of Julianna’s brothers.

–How many brothers do you have?” Amanda asked.

–He’s the third and last one, thankfully. Will’s a git,” replied Julianna.

–I thought you loved your brothers.”

–I do, but of the three, he’s the most annoying,” explained Julianna. –You know those ratty little brothers, whining and complaining and all that.”

–Actually I don’t. I only grew up around girls,” Amanda reminded her. She had grown up with her mother, Aunt Brittany, and Carmen, her cousin. She was still as intrigued by boys as she was in their first year, and as such was still turned around to look back into the compartments that had any boys in them.

–Let’s just take this compartment while we can still get an empty one. She can just find us,” said Julianna, who was pointing to the compartment they were approaching a car away from Will.

About half-way through the train ride, Lily showed up in a huff saying, –It’s barely the first day back and they’ve already had him hanging upside down. And Lupin was no help, either.”

–Where’ve you been?” asked Julianna.

–Haven’t I told you? I was with the other prefects before patrolling the halls, and those frustrating fiends were walking about in the halls, apparently looking for Lupin. Instead they found Severus and decided that all summer was too long without dangling him upside down.”

–So Remus is the other new prefect for Gryffindor?” asked Julianna, unaffected by James’ and Sirius’ lack of self-control with respects to Snape.

–Who else could it have been?” said Amanda. –Potter and Black are in detention so often it’s their second home. Who in their right mind would appoint either of them in charge?”

Julianna agreed that this was a good point and for the rest of the train ride the three discussed their summers. They were interrupted by the James, Sirius, Remus, and Peter trying to convince Julianna to join them, but Julianna didn’t need to see the look on Lily’s face to know this wasn’t a good idea. Marlene also dropped by to get Amanda for a chat.

–They have an unhealthy fascination with boys,” said Julianna after they left.

–Mm-hmm,” said Lily in response as she saw who was coming down the hall.

–Foschi, any chance you’ve decided to drop the Quidditch team?” asked a curly-haired Ravenclaw student.

–Hey Bell, any chance you’ll actually catch my oncoming Quaffles?” retorted Julianna.

–Our Seeker’s gone now, so we might actually stand a chance against Gryffindor,” said Matt Bell, Keeper for Ravenclaw.

–Wasn’t she your sister?” asked Lily.

–She still is,” replied Matt.

–Any particular reason you’re here?” asked Julianna.

–Just like everyone else, I’m here to learn.”

–Oh, I like him, Julie,” said Lily. –Clever.”

–Ha ha,” Julianna said, who was now starting to turn red and wasn’t in the mood.

–What year are you in?” asked Lily, trying to figure out exactly who she was talking to.

–Sixth. And I want to know if you have plans for Friday night,” Matt said, addressing Julianna.

–I expect I’ll have homework like the rest of us. You obviously remember the load of homework fifth-years get in preparation for their OWLs,” Julianna answered.

–In the first week? It’s not even a full week seeing as tomorrow’s Tuesday, and -”

–I would love to do something on Friday night. Happy?” Julianna said defiantly, trying to ignore Lily’s smirking.

–Great. I’ll see you around,” said Matt, content with the answer he got. He left rather quickly just in case Julianna decided to change her mind.

–Where’s the trolley, I’m starving,” Julianna wondered aloud, but Lily continued to smile at her. Noticing this, Julianna asked, –And what’s wrong with you?”

–Nothing yet.”

–Meaning . . .”

–Meaning that you’ll have some explaining to do. Wait until Amanda and Marlene hears - they’ll have a field day. What will Wood say when he hears one of his Chasers is dating the enemy, and in his final year, too? He’ll have heart failure. And how will Potter and Black react when they find out? Potter could very well tell your father,” rambled Lily in one big breath, a look of triumph on her face.

Without much thought, Julianna answered saying, –It’s just one date. And since when have I ever given the impression that I’d like to talk about boys with them, or anyone else for that matter? Why would I start now? I’m an awesome Chaser, and nothing would give me more pleasure than continuing to score in Ravenclaw’s hoops. Wood will just have to live with our continued winning. I just hope he can handle winning the Quidditch Cup. And as for James and Sirius, they’ve dated girls not from Gryffindor too. The hypocrites shouldn’t do it themselves if they’re so against it.”

The rest of the train ride was uneventful. It wasn’t until after the Sorting and the feast when everyone was in their respective common room that Julianna’s troubles really began. She was accosted by James, Sirius, Remus and Peter first.

–What’s this I hear about you dating the enemy?” said Sirius, wagging his finger at her.

–It’s just one date, and it hasn’t even happened yet.”

–What about back in third year? You went to Hogsmeade with him,” recalled Sirius.

–And we went to Honeyduke’s and Zonko’s. Hardly anything romantic.”

–How do you expect us to do well in Quidditch if you’ve got googly eyes for the Keeper?” asked Peter.

–Who does he think he is? He’s trying to turn you against us! Who knows what’ll be next?” cried Remus.

–How do you think this makes us feel? You’ve betrayed us, Jules . . . Cut us in the heart . . . Stabbed us in the back . . . You’ve cooked our goose and eaten it too . . . The cat’s out of the bag and the beans are on the floor . . . The horse has been beaten, the cards on the table have formed a house, and now the race has been run,” James said rather dramatically to Julianna, a look of utter confusion on her face.

–I think he’s read too many of those Muggle books Codrington suggested for us last year,” Sirius whispered to Remus and Peter.

–Maybe this is what Mr Potter meant when he told James not to be himself,” Remus wondered to Sirius and Peter.

–Before you hurt yourself any more, I’m going up to bed,” said Julianna, having caught sight of Wood looking for her.

Julianna raced up the steps to the dormitory where she dressed at top speed and yanked the curtains around her bed. She did not want to deal with Amanda and Marlene’s questions. She couldn’t handle any more, not after James’ impressive, yet confusing, rant. That would have to wait until tomorrow morning.

* * *

–Just look at today!” cried Julianna when Professor McGonagall had come around handing out the timetables at breakfast the morning after the sorting. –Arithmancy, Ancient Runes, Transfiguration, and double Defense! And on our first day too!” Julianna then tucked into a rather large breakfast to console herself.

–How bad can it be?” asked James who had only just come down and sat down next to her. But he was slightly worried upon seeing that Julianna was stacking on the bacon for a second plate.

–Nothing we can’t handle what with old Snivelly with us all morning,” commented Sirius, joining them for his own breakfast.

–If Lily hears she’ll clear off pretty soon,” warned Julianna.

–Come off it,” said James. –Can’t she see by now how disgusting his filthy friends are? Doesn’t she know what each and every one of them does after Hogwarts?”

–I don’t think she cares. Snape’s nice enough when he’s on his own. It’s pretty much the only thing keeping their friendship intact,” replied Julianna.

–Then we’ll just show -” started Sirius, but Julianna cut in.

–And the more you bully him, the more she’ll defend him.”

–She’s right, you know,” Remus put in.

–Gonna stop us,” Peter piped to Remus.

–She thinks you’re arrogant,” Julianna said, now speaking directly to James, –and every time you do something to prove you’re better, the more irritated she gets because you’re proving her point.”

Having finished her food, she got up and left for the common room. So far she had avoided those unwanted questions about Matt. She had specifically got up early for her usual morning jog followed by a shower before breakfast and therefore hadn’t come across anyone until part way through breakfast. To her horror, though, Matt had also gotten up from the Ravenclaw table and was now making his way to the stairs. Julianna quickened her pace, but due to his height and long legs, Matt was easily able to catch up.

–Hey,” said Matt.

–Hey.”

–How does your timetable look so far?” Matt asked conversationally.

–Awful.”

–And Fridays?”

–Actually those days aren’t too bad. How about yours?” she answered truthfully, unaware of Matt’s intentions.

–Not bad. How about a walk around the grounds, then?”

–What, now? I have class. Besides -”

–I meant on Friday. Remember our conversation on the train?”

–Right . . . well . . . I’m not going to that stupid ‘Make-Out Maple’ if that’s what you’re thinking.” Julianna had heard way too much about that place from Amanda and Marlene.

–I think it’s actually more of a bit of forest with a particularly larger population of maples. There isn’t a specific one that people go to.”

–And how would you know?”

–Countless students talk about the place. With all those students going about their dates, I don’t think that one tree would suffice. It would get pretty crowded,” Matt answered slyly.

–Yes . . . well . . . that’s all very nice, but I’d still rather stay a good distance away from there, wherever it happens to be,” Julianna said rather lamely.

–Fine. I’ll see you Friday, then,” said Matt cheerfully, and he turned to head toward the Ravenclaw common room.

It wasn’t until Julianna had reached her dormitory and grabbed the necessary things for the morning’s lessons before she realized that they hadn’t settled on a time for Friday. And that was now the second time he had said he’d see her around that week. When she brought this up to Lily during the break, for they couldn’t talk during their classes because of all the OWL prep talk and work set for them to do, Julianna added, –I think he’s rather enjoying himself.”

–I still think he’s clever,” Lily said. –By not giving you the specifics back on the train, it ensured he would have to see you again before Friday. Then again today, he didn’t give you the time because he wants to see you again. He’s making sure that happens. It’s brilliant!”

–He’s just having a go at me,” replied Julianna, her temper beginning to rise.

–How do you figure that?”

–Because it’s all so awkward, that’s why.”

–How can it be awkward? You never seem at a loss for words, and you seem perfectly normal around your brothers and those stupid morons,” reasoned Lily.

–Yeah, well they’re family,” Julianna replied, ignoring her ‘stupid morons’ comment. –And James is as good as family. I don’t know Matt apart from that he’s the Ravenclaw Keeper who keeps infuriating me.”

–But if you don’t know him, how does he infuriate you?” asked Lily, still unable to figure her out.

–You’re one to talk! You hate James, but you don’t know him,” Julianna retorted, trying to keep her cool.

–Toe rags are a far cry from simply not knowing. I think this has to do with more than just infuriation, Julie,” Lily tried to say gently. –I can’t believe I’m even having this talk with you.”

–What talk?” asked Julianna obliviously.

–Is there a slight chance that you might like Matt?”

–No,” Julianna answered a bit too soon.

–Well think about it. It’s just a possibility,” said Lily, as they approached the Transfiguration room for class. But Julianna wasn’t able to think about it at that moment. Transfiguration was one of her favourite classes next to Defense, and that was after lunch. No, with all the talk about this being their OWL year, then being given significantly harder magic to perform than last year, Julianna couldn’t think about this question until dinner.

Julianna sat at dinner, poking her food while her thoughts wandered back to earlier that day, her eyes fixed ahead of her at the rest of the Great Hall gazing at nothing. Did she like Matt? What did that even mean? Sure he was attractive, but so were Sirius and James and several others she knew. But they didn’t have his dark, curly brown hair, or his deep, rich dark brown eyes. He was tall, too. Not in a lanky sort of way, but in a well-defined way - probably from his training as a Keeper. Julianna felt much the same way about her figure and being a Chaser. But what did he like to do? Why did he do those things? Where did he come from? Who was he? How could she form an opinion of him if she hardly knew him? These were some of the questions haunting her thoughts.

At the same time, Lily had been doing her own thinking. Her first thoughts were of Julianna and Matt. There was something in it, of that she was sure, and Julianna did seem to be acting strangely at the moment - she wasn’t eating. Her thoughts then strayed to Potter and what Julianna had said earlier. Well of course she knew Potter. Hadn’t they spent four years so far in the same House and in exactly the same classes? Of course he was conceited - she could see that plainly every day when he bragged about himself. Of course he was a bully - Severus was proof of that whenever they used him as a scapegoat. He never could get over the whole 'all Slytherins are evil' thing. He just couldn’t get over himself, get off his high hippogriff long enough to see how utterly rude he was to others and how despicably mean he was to poor Severus who hadn’t done anything to them apart from residing in Slytherin.

By unspoken consent, both Lily and Julianna left their uneaten plates and headed for the common room deep in their own thoughts. They silently began their homework to avoid it piling up, and when they got as far as they could, they wandered up to bed where they continued to question what they knew well into the night.

* * *

–Something’s definitely wrong,” James said to his three friends that same evening.

–How do you figure that?” asked Sirius, who was contemplating whether he should begin his homework like everyone else or not.

–How can you not tell?” Remus said to him.

–Didn’t you notice she wasn’t eating?” asked Peter. –That’s always a tell.”

–But what on earth could be wrong?” Sirius asked. –It’s the first day of classes. She can’t be that far behind.”

–No, I think it has something to do with yesterday,” Remus put in.

–But she ate perfectly fine then,” recalled Sirius, still not cluing in.

–And you’re one of the top in our year?” said Peter.

–Blimey, you can be thick some times,” James said. –Remember last night what we found out about her?”

–Yeah. Little Miss I’m-too-good-to-join-in-the-fun. I thought she enjoyed hanging Snivelly by the leg,” Sirius said bitterly.

–Just start your homework,” said a defeated Remus who returned back to his.

James attempted to do his homework, but he was too preoccupied. He’d known Jules forever, literally. She always ate a meal even when she was sick, but she hardly ate a thing that night. She always had something to say, but she was silent at dinner. She usually talked to him in the evenings, particularly when Lily went to the library, but she hadn’t that night. What was up with her? She usually confided in him about things, although he had to admit that lately she’d been spending much more time with Lily.

Lily. There was something about her too. She hated him, he could tell, but it was always so much fun to get her going. Riling her up seemed to make him tick, just as tormenting Snape did. She had seemed off tonight too. She and Jules had barely spoken all evening, and they even went to bed early. He’d just have to wheedle it out of Jules tomorrow.

--------
End Notes:
How is the pacing? I hope it isn't too slow. As always, any reviews are most welcome!
A Master Plan by Secret Marauder 90
Author's Notes:
Julianna is acting different, so the Marauders concoct a plan to help her out.
--------

The next morning, Julianna, Lily, and James woke up as usual and without thoughts of their previous night’s ponderings. Julianna got up early as usual for her morning jog before heading down to breakfast where she piled her plate as usual with bacon. Lily, never the morning person, woke up and shuffled around getting ready just as slow as usual before breakfast. James woke to Sirius collapsing the curtains of James’ four poster bed in on him and burying him in them.

The day proceeded just as it usually did. Lily was particularly happy that morning with double Potions first thing followed by Charms. Professor Slughorn had a rather soft spot for her. She was even invited to tea that Saturday afternoon in his office with a few other students.

Wood had approached each of his team members to tell them that they would be having a practice that Saturday afternoon; he had apparently also forgotten his quarry with Julianna. For the rest of the week James, Sirius, and Julianna all had Quidditch to look forward to.

Thursday morning came and saw Julianna dashing back to the dormitory. She and Lily were half way to Defense class when she realized she’d forgotten her books. On her way back to class, she ran, literally, into Matt. She hastily grabbed her things, helped him back up, and half yelled her apology for running into him as she continued sprinting to class without any further thoughts.

She’s off her rocker, Matt thought to himself as he watched her tear down the corridor. He had to appreciate her athleticism. There was nothing ungraceful about the way she ran, and boy could she run. He had seen her pick up a Defense textbook and a Transfiguration textbook. He guessed she had Defense first because of the direction she was headed, which meant that she must have Transfiguration right afterward.

Looking at his watch, Matt decided that he would go start his Charms homework in the library before conveniently being outside the Transfiguration room when class let out. He still had unfinished business to attend to before Friday.

Meanwhile Julianna had all she could do to pay attention in both classes, even if they were her favourites. She had an awful feeling about that close call in the corridor.

Lily had noticed her behaviour and had guessed correctly what the cause was. She had also noticed at the end of Transfiguration who was standing around in the corridor. Figuring that Matt wanted to talk to Julianna, and that she wouldn’t willingly give him the time, Lily took matters into her own hands and purposely walked out of the class in a conversation with Amanda and Marlene leaving Julianna to deal with Matt alone.

–Hey,” she said to him deciding that she would be the one to say it first.

–Transfiguration?” he questioned.

Like you didn’t already know, Julianna thought to herself. Instead, she said out loud, –Yeah. We were attempting to turn pumpkins into luggage. Not terribly difficult, but I think mine still had a leafy pattern on it.”

–An absolute failure, I’m sorry to say,” replied Matt jokingly. –Mine had a stem instead of a handle when I did that one.”

–I’m sure a troll could do better,” said Julianna returning the joke. This isn’t so bad, she thought as they continued walking aimlessly through the corridors. –Why weren’t you in class?”

–Didn’t have a class this morning. But I do have Muggle Studies later on.”

–How do you find that class?”

–Well,” Matt started, shocked at how well this conversation was going so far, –I think he knows what he’s talking about, but I do wonder what the use of showing us how to play baseball is.”

–I think he’s just trying to show us some good old Muggle fun. It shows us that wizards aren’t superior, and that they still have their own way of doing things and having fun in a non-magical fashion,” said Julianna.

–How insightful of you,” Matt joked.

–That was, wasn’t it . . . I don’t have that class until tomorrow. I’ve no idea what Codrington’s planned, but it should be good. Any word on your Quidditch team yet?”

–Tryouts are being held on Sunday for a new Seeker and Chaser, but otherwise I don’t think I should tell you,” said Matt playfully. –Gryffindor doesn’t need any extra information regarding Quidditch.”

–We don’t need extra information to win. Our Chasers are the best at Hogwarts right now, so I don’t think we have anything to worry about,” Julianna said cockily as they continued to walk along the corridors.

–Is that a challenge?” Matt asked, turning to face her.

Julianna, stopping to face Matt as well, looked him defiantly in the eye and said playfully, –Maybe.”

A long silence followed as they continued to look each other in the eye and size each other up. It wasn’t until a group of students came around the corner on their way to class and startled them that Julianna bade him farewell to get to her own class.

* * *

–Where’ve you been,” whispered James as Julianna sat down just in time for class.

–In the halls,” she answered evasively.

James was about to continue, but class had just begun and he could only give her a questioning, yet slightly hurt look before facing the front.

He couldn’t concentrate. The numbers were all mashing together in his head and he could feel his mind wandering within minutes.

What’s up with Jules? he kept wondering to himself. She was usually more blunt than that. She hadn’t cracked any jokes lately, either. Drastic measures must be taken to bring her back to us, he thought. James decided that he would consult Sirius on the matter. He would have something up his sleeves.

* * *

–An adventure - that’s what she needs,” declared Sirius once James had told him everything. –She’s suffering from boredom.”

–Somehow I don’t think that’s what it is,” said Remus before dinner, –but it would definitely be fun.”

–Something that she likes to do, but with a twist,” James suggested. He knew Julianna well enough to know that in this case, they needed to go a step further in whatever they were planning.

–I think I have just the thing,” replied Sirius mischievously.

Later that night, in the safety of their dormitory, they put their heads together. It took them half the night, but they were able to iron out the kinks of their plan, and they would put it in motion that Saturday night.

Meanwhile, rumours were circulating among certain students the next morning about some midnight frolicking planned for Saturday night. Those interested were to contact Sirius and to keep the details hushed.

–Everything is going according to plan. Julianna won’t know what hit her, but her boredom will soon be cured,” said Sirius triumphantly at breakfast Friday morning. –Twenty people have already contacted me and things are well on their way.”

–Hey genius, have you figured out a way to get her to come?” asked James.

–All will be revealed in time,” was all Sirius would say.

–He’s just saying that,” whispered Remus to James and Peter. –Wait until tomorrow night, we’ll be the ones to figure out how to get her without making Evans any the wiser.”

* * *

–Good morning,” said Professor Codrington. –I don’t need to go into too much detail about this year. I’m sure you’ve heard enough how this year is very important for you what with your OWLs. The only advice I have is: go to class, do the work, and you should be fine.”

–Is that it?” asked Lori, a Hufflepuff girl. –We just had the most stressful week with everyone scaring us silly about how difficult our OWLs will be, and all you have to say is do what we’ve been doing all along?”

–Would you prefer I told you there’s next to no hope of you passing anything?” Codrington asked politely.

–No.”

–If you haven’t had trouble in the past, and as long as you keep up with the work, I cannot foresee any of you having any trouble in June,” he concluded. –If there aren’t any more questions, we’ll continue. First I believe we should review everything we’ve done up to this point, just to jog our memories.”

The rest of the class was devoted to reviewing the various sports, discussions, and so forth covered in class. Having done many of the things first-hand, everyone had a vivid memory of what needed to be done and how.

–Alright, not bad so far, but we have a fair way to go still. Next week we will be changing things up. As I understand it you have Friday afternoons off. Am I correct . . . excellent. Well, we will be having a sort of field trip next Friday afternoon. Come to class as usual in the morning for further details. With that, I leave you with one roll of parchment on why you believe three of the things we’ve discussed would be considered fun and or useful for Muggles. We have looked at the what and the how in class, now I want your opinion on the why, now that you have experienced these things first-hand. To be handed in two weeks from today.

–For your enjoyment, I have left some Muggle magazines at the back on your way out. Take a look at them and feel free to take anything that looks interesting to you,” concluded Codrington, dismissing the class early.

The class, pleased to be let out early, packed quickly just in case Professor Codrington changed his mind. On their way out, they stopped to take a look at the magazines. Gethin and Riley saw nothing of interest and left. Sirius, Remus and James, however, were now huddled closely together with a small stack of magazines.

–You know, I think Amanda and Marlene would appreciate these,” said Lily, picking up a few magazines about Muggle fashions, cosmetics, and male models.

–You think?” asked Rebecca, who was in Hufflepuff and didn’t know them as well.

–If you’ve sat any length of time outside of class with them, I think you’d agree,” replied Julianna who was now looking at a magazine with still photos of a football match in progress.

–You know, I never thought I’d be interested in a Muggle gardening magazine,” said Lori as she put one in her bag.

–Hey, Jules,” called James. He, Sirius, and Remus were now making their way over, each with a stupid grin on their faces.

–This better be about Quidditch tomorrow,” whispered Lily to Julianna before leaving the class with Lori and Rebecca.

–We have something planned tomorrow night, and we require your presence,” stated Sirius.

Julianna, with an air of suspicion, asked, –What did you have in mind?”

–Oh, a little of this, a little of that,” Sirius answered ambiguously, trying to look innocent.

–Such as?”

–All will be revealed in time,” was all Sirius said in reply.

–He told us that yesterday,” said Remus, unimpressed.

–I probably shouldn’t, but since I’m needed,” said Julianna, a smile growing on her face, –then who am I to deny help to friends.”

–That’s the spirit,” said James. –Just make sure Evans isn’t privy to this.”

–Yeah, because she’ll want to come,” Julianna said sarcastically as she went to follow Lily.

Julianna’s mind was racing. It had been a while since she’d done anything with James, especially if it involved some kind of evening escapade. What with everything happening this week, she was feeling particularly reckless. She was so engulfed in her thoughts that she once again walked into Matt.

–I’m sorry, I’m making an awful habit of this,” said Julianna, still distracted.

–A Knut for your thoughts,” said Matt.

–Oh, it’s nothing.”

–Really.”

–I don’t think you know me well enough to question what I am or am not thinking,” Julianna replied a little defensively. At the look of Matt’s startled face, she then said, –I’m sorry, I’m just thinking. As far as first weeks go, this one has been pretty heavy.”

–OWLs?”

–That’s part of it . . . I feel like people have all these preconceived notions about things, particularly about me, when they really know nothing at all. It’s exhausting trying to work around them or plow through them, and I feel like I’m going to break soon if it continues,” Julianna suddenly confessed.

Matt just stood there for a moment, looking at Julianna and taking in what she said. Choosing his words, he replied, –I’m not going to pretend to know what’s going on, but you know you can talk to people, right? I don’t mean me, necessarily. Anyone, really. If they’re really your friend, they’ll listen and not judge you.”

–Yeah, I know,” she said, giving him a sad smile. –Anyway, I have to grab my things for Potions. Thanks for listening.”

–Any time,” he answered, watching her disappear down the corridor.

--------
End Notes:
Reviews would be wonderful!
It's All Set by Secret Marauder 90
Author's Notes:
Julianna has a moment with Matt, Lily accepts a date, and the Marauders finalize their plans.
-------

Amanda and Marlene were happily glossing through the magazines Lily had brought them from their Muggle Studies class. She had been absolutely right in assuming that they would enjoy clothes, make up, and boys, even in a Muggle medium.

–Hey, Mar,” said Amanda, –it says here that Sirius could be your type. Look . . .”

Marlene put down the magazine she was holding to read the quiz Amanda was showing her.

–You just need to answer the questions and follow where the answers take you. See,” Amanda told her, pointing at the quiz.

Lily just shook her head as she grabbed her Potions stuff. What a way to end a week, she thought cheerfully to herself. Potions was one of her favourite classes, and not because Slughorn was soft for her. There was just something about the careful measuring, cutting, stirring, and the sound of a happily simmering potion. It was just like baking at home. You couldn’t beat the eggs too hard, or work the flour too much otherwise the baking comes out wrong when finished.

–What’s up with you?”

Lily looked up, unsure who was being addressed.

–Both of you,” added Amanda to Marlene’s previous question. –Lily, you were smiling and humming.”

–And Julianna looks a little too happy,” added Marlene, who had never got along well with Julianna.

–She’s usually happy,” replied Lily.

–How can you be too happy?” asked Julianna.

–It’s a different kind of happy,” Marlene answered, giving her a shrewd look. –Lighter than it was.”

–A lighter happy.”

–Was I humming?” asked Lily, knowing what likely made Julianna look ‘a lighter happy’ and not wanting to let Marlene in quite yet.

–We have Potions,” said Julianna, now grabbing her things. –She’s likely excited about that.”

–And cookies,” Lily added, remembering the baking too.

–Thankfully this is our last year of mandatory Potions,” said Amanda, following the other three out of the portrait hole.

* * *

After Potions, Lily and Julianna were sitting in the Great Hall about to begin lunch. The hall was unusually empty as the students were all eager to get outside and enjoy the last of the warmer weather.

–So,” started Lily.

–Chips?” Julianna offered.

–No thanks. So,” she started again.

–So . . . what?”

–Too happy? A lighter happy?” Lily prompted.

–Who’s made a lighter happy?” asked James. He hexed the student seated next to Julianna to fly down the bench leaving room for him to sit there.

–Is that really necessary?” Lily asked.

–Well, shouldn’t everyone be happy, even if they are inanimate objects?” James said innocently.

–Yeah,” said Sirius. –Everyone deserves a chance at happiness, and I’m sure this bench would be much happier with those second-years further down from here.” Sirius did what James had just done, and the second-years also slid down the bench.

–Hey, Evans,” started James, ruffling the back of his hair. –Wanna go out with me? Hogsmeade weekend’s bound to be coming up soon.”

Lily rolled her eyes, saying, –When pigs fly . . . and that doesn’t give you license to give a pig wings to hurry the process.”

–So there is a process!” James said enthusiastically.

Lily rolled her eyes again and decided to just ignore Potter and his friends who had just joined them in the empty seats across the table.

–Is it still on, then?” Lily asked, turning back to Julianna.

–Is what still on?” asked Julianna, feigning ignorance.

–You know perfectly well,” answered Lily.

–Do you have the feeling we missed something?” Sirius whispered to James.

–As far as I know it still is,” Julianna said. –Still haven’t decided one detail,” she continued, now having fun being elusive with James, Sirius, Remus, and Peter, –but I’m sure I’ll have another run-in before long if you know what I mean.”

–Do Am and Mar know?” asked Lily.

–No,” Julianna answered, –and I’d like to keep it that way.”

–I think they’re snubbing us,” James whispered back to Sirius.

–They’ll know before long, you know,” warned Lily.

–Probably, but I can try.”

–Definitely being snubbed,” Sirius whispered to James, Remus, and Peter.

–Does it look promising?”

–Maybe.”

–I think they’re doing this on purpose,” Remus whispered to his three friends.

–Yeah, ‘cause we look like idiots trying to follow a one-sided conversation,” said Peter, not wanting to whisper.

–You just killed it, Pete,” said James, still whispering.

–Fine. You have your little secret,” said a defeated Sirius. –We’ll just go over there.”

–Oi, you,” called James. –Those’re our seats you’re in.” He hexed the same second-years back to where they originally were, and the four moved down the table.

After making sure the second-years were fine, Lily then gave Julianna the come-on-and-spill-the-beans look.

Julianna carefully watched her plate before answering, –Yesterday you left me . . . don’t give me that look, I know you purposely left me . . . we just talked about leafy patterns and trolls, baseball and Quidditch, that’s it. Today after Muggle Studies I walked into him, and it’s becoming a bad habit. I ran into him yesterday before Defense as well. Anyway, I vented. I swear that’s it, but it felt good to just vent. I was probably happy because I had done.”

–And tonight?” asked Lily, not nearly ready to give up.

–Like I said, it’s still on, but he still hasn’t said a time.”

–He’ll probably do it on your way back to the common room. If you’ve noticed, he’s been finished eating for at least five minutes now, and there’s nobody seated around him for him to stay and chat with. He keeps trying to casually look this way, but you’re still eating lunch.”

–You’ve thought this through,” Julianna observed, slightly annoyed. She had, in fact, not even started eating.

–Well, if he doesn’t get you now, you’re likely to disappear for the afternoon and he may not get a chance to set a time. Then you’ll have the perfect excuse for not showing up and saying it would never work anyway.”

–Well, I’m probably right and -”

–Save it, Julie,” Lily interrupted. –You’ve got to get married at some point. I think he really likes you. Can’t you see that?”

–Well I have no idea why,” said Julianna.

–Maybe he likes how competitive you are. It was Quidditch that got you back in third year.”

–He’s just sore of losing.”

–Well then, maybe it’s because you’re a decent witch who knows how to still have fun.”

–You’re a decent witch.”

–You’re confident in who you are and definitely aren’t afraid to show people.”

–Hardly unique to me.”

–Have you ever thought it could be because he thinks you’re pretty?”

This caught Julianna off guard. Pretty? Yeah, right. She never wore fake-up. She didn’t even own any, let alone know how to use it. She barely did anything with her hair. It was either up in a ponytail or down. Her favourite Muggle clothes were either sweatpants and a t-shirt, or just plain jeans and a t-shirt. Dresses and skirts were for the likes of Amanda and Marlene. How could anyone think sweats and a ponytail were pretty? Julianna was completely confused.

Seeing her confusion, Lily said, –Hasn’t anyone ever told you that you’re pretty?”

–Sure, my dad, but you know what dads are like. I guess I’m alright.”

It was Lily’s turn to be confused. Julianna had beautiful long hair; it was nice and straight, and the most beautiful dark brown. Lily was never sure about her eye colour, but her eyelashes were long, thick and dark. Julianna was fairly tall, but because of Quidditch, and football with her father, she had acquired a lean and slightly muscular figure. She had long legs and a beautiful smile. In short Julianna was beautiful, in a rough-around-the-edges sort of way, though Lily couldn’t get rid of the thought of her in sweats, pranking.

–I thought you knew you were and just defied it,” said Lily. –No matter what you think, you are pretty and I think Matt sees it too.”

Julianna was still left confused and speechless. Lily had finished her lunch and had left Julianna to mull over her words. Slowly the Great Hall emptied until Julianna noticed she still hadn’t touched anything on her plate; her plate didn’t even have food on it yet. Realizing she wasn’t hungry, she also got up and left. Julianna didn’t feel like going back to Gryffindor Tower quite yet, so she decided to go outside.

Once outside, Julianna felt the warmth of the sun and decided to dip her feet in the lake. The water should still be somewhat warm, and she learned long ago that the giant squid was nothing more than an oversized goldfish.

–Fancy a dip?”

Julianna turned around to see Matt walking towards her, hands stuffed in his pockets. She still remembered what Lily had said back in the Great Hall and didn’t trust her voice, so she nodded.

–Mind if I join you?” he asked.

Again, Julianna nodded for him to join.

They walked in silence toward the lake, each deep in their own thoughts. Once again, Julianna felt awkward thanks to Lily. Things were just starting to level out when - wham! - Matt thinks you’re pretty. How was that supposed to make her feel? How did that actually make her feel?

Matt was also feeling strange. He had lunch eaten too quickly because Julianna typically ate fairly quickly and he didn’t want to be left behind. He had wanted to speak with her after lunch, but she sat and talked with her red-headed friend. Then this friend, Lily, he thought, said something that silenced Julianna before walking out. Then Julianna didn’t even eat at all and just sat there. What were they talking about? Lily seemed to be pretty clever and had looked over his way one too many times.

They had reached the lake and Julianna started to pull off her shoes and socks. Matt started doing the same before they rolled up their pant legs.

Julianna walked straight into the lake, no moment’s hesitation. She started walking around, kicking the water a bit with each step, near the shore. Then she stopped, closed her eyes, leaned her head back, and felt the warm sun on her face. Matt remained on the shore, still very much dry.

–Too cold?” Julianna asked at last.

Matt shook his head.

–The giant squid won’t hurt. He once took me for a ride around the lake.”

–It’s not that,” said Matt, looking a little warily at the water.

She wanted to joke and recall his earlier comment about a Knut for his thoughts, but this didn’t seem the right time. Instead, she cocked her head and gave him a questioning look.

Matt sighed, finally confessing, –I have this thing about water.”

–You don’t know how to swim?” she asked, but not impolitely.

–I have a thing about deep water and drowning.”

–We’ll only be calf deep,” Julianna said, trying to be helpful. –And I’ll make sure you don’t drown.”

Matt looked at her with a look of terror, unsure of what to do. He continued to look her in the eye for signs of laughter or pity, but they weren’t there. Deciding it was safe, he slowly went to the water and got in.

–Still breathing?” she finally asked, trying to make light of the situation to take his mind off the water, but all Matt could do was nod.

–See? It’s not so bad,” Julianna continued calmly.

–Just don’t go any further,” said Matt.

–I won’t. You’ll be safe here with me,” she replied, smiling, trying to make him at ease and keep him calm.

–I know,” Matt said, finally smiling back.

* * *

Lily didn’t know what to think. Julianna was fairly bright, but when it came to day-to-day common sense, she was sorely lacking. It blew her mind to hear that she’d never been told she was pretty, and even more when she found out Julianna had never considered that she could be. Heck, even Potty wee Potter had told her she was pretty, even if just to infuriate her.

Suddenly, Lily saw someone and quickly turned in the opposite direction she was going in order to follow him.

–Gethin,” she called.

–Oh, hey, Lily,” Gethin said, seeing who it was. –How are you?”

–Fine,” she answered, impatient at the moment with the niceties.

–What did you make of that hint for next week?”

–Wh - . . . oh, yeah, I have no idea. No one’s ever told us to come to class for further instructions on a class outside of its scheduled time.”

–Exactly. We’ve been able to get through football, baseball, and those other sports in plenty of time during class. It must be something lengthy,” Gethin concluded.

–Yeah. Er, I have a question for you,” she stated, not sure how best to broach the subject.

–Okay.”

–I know this sounds silly, but do you think Julianna is pretty?”

Gethin was taken aback, but readily answered, –Yes. I think she’s rather attractive, same as you.”

–Great, tha- . . . pardon?”

–Well . . . I think you’re attractive too.”

–Oh,” said Lily. –Thanks.”

–What’s this all about?” he finally asked.

–Just a conversation I had with her, I got the impression that she didn’t consider that she could be attractive.”

–Really.”

–Never crossed her mind,” confirmed Lily. –It leads to follow, then, that she’s never been told as much. I always just assumed that she’d been told.”

–Hey, Lily,” started Gethin, –would you consider going out with me some time?”

Lily paused for a moment, unsure of what to do. Then, –Sure, Gethin, I’d love to.”

–Brilliant. How about the first Hogsmeade weekend?”

–I don’t know when that is yet, but sure, that sounds like fun.”

–Great. Well . . . I’ll see you around, then.” And he continued down the corridor the way he came.

What just happened, thought Lily.

* * *

–You know, I think this might just work,” said Remus.

–Just in time too,” reflected Peter.

–She didn’t eat again, we know,” Sirius said to Peter.

–We’ll need to set up ahead of time, just to be sure everything’s ready and nobody creeps up on us,” concluded James.

The four boys had decided to forgo their dormitory in favour of the warm weather. They were walking around aimlessly on the grounds somewhere near the Quidditch pitch. It was nearing dinner time, so they decided to turn around and start back toward the castle.

–That should be done tomorrow,” said Remus. –I don’t think it’d be safe to do too far in advance.”

–Filch,” Peter said bitterly.

–Some time after Quidditch practice, then,” concluded James.

–That doesn’t give us much time,” said Sirius.

–What we need is a way to figure out when Filch is coming,” James stated. –If we knew where he was, then we’d never get caught.”

–Well then I guess we should start on that once our other project is complete,” Sirius said.

They finally reached the castle and headed straight into the Great Hall where students were already beginning to eat. On their way past the Slytherin table, James discreetly sent a spell aimed at Snape that turned his pumpkin juice into . . .

–Anchovy paste!” yelled Snape.

The four boys roared with laughter as they sat down at the Gryffindor table and watched Snape attempt to rid the foul taste in his mouth. Little did he know that Sirius had also sent a spell at Snape gluing the bottom of his trousers to the bench and making him incapable of getting up to help his situation.

–ARGH! POTTER! BLACK!” Snape roared, but he couldn’t get up to seek revenge on them.

James and Sirius were now bent over laughing, wiping the tears from their eyes. They were just gaining composure as Julianna walked in, somewhat dazed but quickly setting it to a more amused look.

–Lily’s furious, just so you know,” she commented to them.

–Aw, Evans will get over it,” Sirius fluffed off.

–Since when has Evans cared what we did,” said James.

–Since it involves Snape, it matters greatly,” Julianna said, seating herself down next to Remus.

–I see you’re just as pleased with him as we are,” Remus told her.

–Yeah, well, just because she’s great friends with him doesn’t mean I like Death Eaters,” she said back, not caring about her accusations.

–You still up for tomorrow night?” asked Sirius.

–I should be; I’ll just have to shake off Lily,” replied Julianna. –I think I’ll say I’m still hungry and go down to the kitchens to get food.”

–What with your recent eating habits, that would be quite appropriate,” Peter said quietly to himself.

–And don’t ask, because we’re not telling you,” said James, seeing the look on her face.

–It’d better be good,” Julianna said with a mischievous smile, –if I have to clear my Saturday night for you four.”

–Like you have so many plans,” said Sirius sarcastically.

–I could have,” she replied. Then, without eating, Julianna got up from the table, bade them farewell, and headed out of the Great Hall.

–She didn’t eat again,” noted Remus.

–I don’t even think she made an effort to fill her plate,” said Peter. –Look, her plate is still empty.”

–I can see you’re very troubled by her eating behaviour lately,” commented James, looking amused at Peter.

–He just likes a girl with a happy appetite,” defended Sirius.

–I think you mean ‘healthy’ appetite,” corrected Remus.

–No, I mean happy. If it’s a healthy appetite, then you’re just eating healthy food and aren’t enjoying it; you’re not happy with it. But if you have a happy appetite, then you’re eating what you enjoy and are enjoying what you are eating.”

–Can’t you enjoy healthy food?” asked Remus.

–Not if we’re talking about that gross stuff. You know, whole wheat; tasteless, gritty and all. Or less fat; the dry, crumbly food that it is. Or plain old egg whites; you need the would-be chicken, the yellow part, for flavour. That’s why we eat chickens and enjoy it, not the plain jiggly stuff surrounding it,” Sirius concluded, pulling a face of disgust.

–It’s going to be a long weekend,” James sighed, noting the behaviour Sirius was in. He would be nearly unbearable until their plans could take place. James readied himself for what would be a long night.

-------
End Notes:
This is more of a transition chapter. The next several chapters are already written, so I hope to post them soon. There will be some fairly Julianna-centric chapters coming. As we all know, Lily hates James at this point, but I still wanted to have year five stuff to set up when they can actually tolerate each other. Please review!
A Long Weekend by Secret Marauder 90
Author's Notes:
Julianna has her date with Matt followed by an interrogation from her dorm-mates and her Quidditch team. Sirius' master plan is finally executed, and they return to have a heart-to-heart with Julianna. Note: This chapter is very Julianna-centric, so if you don't like that, skip to the next chapter.
--------

James and his friends continued to snicker to themselves as they watched Snape attempt to ease his situation, meanwhile Lily was fuming at the opposite end of the Gryffindor table. Severus had made it quite clear that he didn’t want any help when she had offered.

The fool would rather suffer through his humiliation by himself than accept the help of a friend, she thought bitterly, but even the status of ‘friend’ kept wavering.

Lily couldn’t deny any longer who his friends were. Of all the students at Hogwarts Sev could have chosen, he chose those most likely to become Death Eaters. She couldn’t even overlook his strange fascination with the Dark Arts, especially in these troubled times. But he was always so pleasant; she could hardly believe he would be involved with You-Know-Who at all. It was all so confusing right now.

For some reason, Lily was now in a foul mood, and it was continuing to go down as she watched Potter and his cronies mess with nearby students. She was also eating dinner by herself which added to her mood. Amanda and Marlene were still up in the dormitory flipping through the magazines she’d brought them. Meanwhile Julianna was out.

Probably busy with Matt somewhere, she thought bitterly.

But why was she bitter? Hadn’t she encouraged this? Hadn’t she stood up for him and reasoned against Julianna’s tendencies? Didn’t she believe he could possibly soften her edginess?

Lily stabbed her potatoes rather aggressively thinking how strange it was that just earlier that day she had been humming and smiling.

* * *

Julianna was wandering the grounds outside the castle. She was supposed to be looking for Matt, but she couldn’t find him.

Perhaps I’m just early, she thought, wishing that she had a watch. Or maybe he’s really messing with me and isn’t coming at all and wants to make me look ridiculous searching for nobody.

This was a thought she hadn’t entertained yet. But just as Julianna was starting to have second thoughts, she rounded the corner and found that Matt had set up a picnic near the area James, Sirius, Remus, and Peter had wandered to just before dinner. A tartan blanket had been laid down and Julianna could see the picnic basket, looking longingly at it as her stomach growled. Had she really not eaten since breakfast?

–I wasn’t sure what you like or how hungry you’d be, so I enlarged the basket to carry a little extra just in case,” said Matt upon seeing Julianna.

Smiling, Julianna answered, –Actually, I’m starving. I haven’t eaten since this morning.” She eagerly joined him at the blanket.

–Good. I got the house elves in the kitchen to pack a decent variety,” he said pleased. –When I told them who it’d be for, they started cramming even more food in.”

–I might have visited the kitchens a few times for a snack,” she replied. Seeing Matt’s eyebrow raise, she continued, –I get pretty hungry. Especially when Quidditch practice runs long and I don’t get enough to eat. That happened quite a lot last year.”

–They seemed to know you well, then . . . I happened to notice you enjoy your time in the Great Hall during meal time too.”

–So what have we got,” asked Julianna, her stomach growling again.

–Well, there’s some chicken, but if you don’t like that there’s also pork chops, meatloaf, and some ham.”

–I’ll have a bit of each, then,” she said. At his astonished face, she said, –What . . . I have Quidditch practice tomorrow.”

Matt just smiled as he handed her each of the plates of meat in turn. He could tell he would be having an entertaining night.

* * *

–Where on earth is she?” asked Amanda. –It’s nearly nine.”

Back in the girl’s dormitory, Amanda, Marlene, and now Lily, were wondering where Julianna was. They had tried to make Friday nights a sort of girl’s night, a time to catch up after homework, Quidditch, and different friends during the week.

–Lily, you said you came from the library,” said Marlene. –She wasn’t there with you?”

Lily shook her head.

–And we’ve been in the common room since dinner,” added Amanda. –We would have seen her come or go.”

–She doesn’t have Quidditch until tomorrow,” Marlene said, bouncing off of each other.

–Besides, Sirius and James are still in the common room.”

–Which also means she’s not gallivanting with them somewhere in the castle.”

Lily kept glancing between the two. She knew perfectly well who Julianna was with, but didn’t feel the need to enlighten them. Besides, while Lily knew who she was with, she didn’t actually know where they were or what they were doing.

Way to keep it a secret, thought Lily. How are you going to get out of this? They’re bound to figure it out now.

Just then, Julianna walked into the dormitory looking quite the same as she normally did, but with her ‘lighter happy’ look.

–And where have you been?” asked Marlene accusingly. –Do you have any idea what time it is? Or what day it is?”

–I’ve known how to tell the time and the days of the week for quite some time, thanks,” Julianna answered coolly.

–We’ve been worried,” said Amanda, trying to avoid another one of their rows.

–Speak for yourself,” mumbled Lily, but now quietly enough, for Marlene had heard.

–You knew where she was?” exclaimed Marlene. –Why didn’t you say so?”

–Of course I didn’t know where she was,” Lily said matter-of-factly. –Who she was with, however . . .”

–Traitor,” Julianna said to her as she went to get her Transfiguration work out. She was rather amused, though, of Marlene and Amanda’s confusion.

–So what were you doing, then?” asked Amanda, gently.

–I ate dinner then practiced that Charms stuff for Flitwick,” Julianna answered truthfully.

–Ha! Lily said you weren’t in the library,” Marlene said triumphantly.

–Well if she was practicing, the library would hardly be the place to do it,” reasoned Lily.

Julianna gave her a look of gratitude.

–So you were out all evening doing homework by yourself,” said Amanda, shrewdly.

–No. I ate dinner with Matt Bell out on the grounds where we talked about Quidditch and practiced Charms, as I’ve already said.” Without a further word, Julianna took her Transfiguration homework and walked out.

–She was on a date?” asked Marlene, incredibly.

–That’s what you call it when two people eat dinner together,” said Lily.

–But why didn’t she tell us?” asked Amanda.

–Look at how you’re reacting. Can you blame her?” said Lily. Then she grabbed her won Transfiguration homework and left to join Julianna.

Lily could appreciate Julianna’s reasons for not telling Marlene and Amanda. It was for those precise reasons that she hadn’t told them she was in the Library with Gethin doing their Arithmancy homework, and not by herself or with Severus.

He had quite innocently stumbled upon her in the library and, seeing she was looking over her Arithmancy work, asked if he could join her. Marlene and Amanda knew who she was in the habit of studying with. Knowing Gethin wasn’t one of them, they would rightly assume that something was going on to prompt such an arrangement.

Julie’s right, thought Lily, they’ve got an unhealthy fascination with boys and relationships.

Lily joined Julianna at one of the tables, but didn’t say anything. She knew Julianna would tell her what she wished when she wanted to, and she knew her silence was appreciated what with a certain pair of boys causing a commotion in the corner.

Rolling her eyes and putting her stuff down, Lily stomped over to where Potter and Black were causing a nearby first-year student’s homework to disappear every time she attempted to write something down, much to her confusion.

–Can’t you do something about your friends, Lupin,” Lily said to Remus who was sitting at the table with the two and Peter.

–I’m sorry, I must have missed it. You see, I was busy translating a few runes,” Remus said, feigning ignorance.

–Do you get a kick out of tormenting students?” Lily asked, now addressing Potter and Black.

–I do, rather,” said James, ruffling his hair absent-mindedly.

–She’ll be flattered, Evans, once she realizes who’s doing it,” answered Sirius cockily.

–Wanna go to Hogsmeade with me, Evans?” James asked.

–I’m warning you. Both you, Potter, and Black. No more fooling around or I’ll have to give you both a detention tomorrow afternoon during Quidditch practice,” threatened Lily. –I’m sure Wood’ll be pleased.”

Lily then stomped back to Julianna and they immersed themselves in their Transfiguration homework. Miraculously, the four boys soon retired to their room for the evening allowing Lily to finally relax.

* * *

–I’m telling you, something’s definitely up,” James whispered to his friends the following morning. He was now watching Julianna help herself to yet another plate of bacon and eggs. He had to admit that Peter had a point. Yesterday she hardly ate, now she was eating almost more than usual.

–You think?” asked Sirius. He was worried whether or not his plan would work well enough. He couldn’t have her ruining them.

–Everything alright, Jules?” asked James tentatively.

–Never better.”

–Still alright for tonight, then?” asked Sirius, just to be sure.

–Definitely. I’m looking forward to it. Listen, I had an idea this morning,” she began.

–You mean earlier this morning,” corrected Remus.

–Yeah. It’s about when we win our first match,” Julianna continued. She then explained her thoughts to them, their faces quickly getting an impish look.

–It’s brilliant!” exclaimed Peter.

–We’ll have a bit of work to do, but there’s still time yet,” said Remus.

–Couldn’t have thought better myself,” said James.

–Excellent,” Julianna replied. –Then we can start tomorrow.” And Julianna walked out of the Great Hall having finished her breakfast.

She’s back, thought Sirius, a look of admiration following her as she left.

* * *

Later that afternoon, the Gryffindor Quidditch team were assembled in the changing room. They were waiting for Spencer Wood, one of the Beaters and Quidditch Captain for the team.

–All right, team,” Wood started, having finally arrived. –I’ve worked all summer on our new practices.”

–Thank Merlin,” Sirius whispered to his fellow Chasers, James and Julianna.

–We are going to train harder and longer in order to ensure the cup this year,” Wood continued.

–What?!” cried Julianna.

–We already did that last year! How can we possibly add more time to practice?” exclaimed James.

–We’ve got OWLs this year, Wood,” said Sirius.

–Since when has that ever concerned you,” said Kyle Peterson, the other Beater for the team.

–I’ll also be having the reserves come play with us every now and then in a game. They need to be in top form just in case we need to use them,” Wood said, glaring pointedly at James and Sirius, clearly recalling last year.

–How were we to know someone would catch us hanging Snivelly and give us detention during the final?” said James.

–Just make sure it doesn’t happen this year. That final should have been ours. And to make sure it still will be this year,” he added, now rounding on Julianna, –let’s make sure we can get past the Keepers . . . all of them.”

–What’s that supposed to mean? She’s our best Chaser,” cried Jack Spinnet, the Seeker.

–Hey,” said James. –What do you mean she’s the best Chaser?”

–Word has it that you’re a little friendly with the Ravenclaw Keeper,” Kyle interrupted.

–More than a little friendly is what I heard,” added Wood. –What’s this I hear about last night? Dinner and Charms homework . . .”

–Since when does Quidditch practice involve interrogating its members?” asked Julianna heatedly.

–Since they affect our games,” replied Wood. –So, is it, or is it not true?”

–No matter what the answer is, I assure you that nothing - nothing - will impede my ability to successfully score on the opposing team, which you well know.” And Julianna turned and headed out toward the pitch.

The remainder of the team looked warily at each other before they went and joined her on the pitch to begin their practice, Wood’s beginning-of-year speech forgotten.

–Does that mean she’s really dating him?” Sirius quietly asked James.

–Search me, in know as much as you do,” James replied, slightly hurt that she hadn’t confided in him.

* * *

While the Gryffindor Quidditch team were resuming their first practice of the school year, a few select students were gathered together in Professor Slughorn’s office for afternoon tea. Among these students was Lily, surrounded by students she didn’t know.

Lily knew why she was there; the events of the Slug Club were quite well-known among the students of Hogwarts. It was rather an honour that Lily had been invited, for she also knew that those part of the Slug Club did well later on in life.

But Lily didn’t know any of the students present. Sure she had seen them around, but they were all a year or two ahead of her. As such, the conversation was rather uninteresting. Slughorn could drone on sometimes when reminiscing, recalling former students who were now successful in life.

Lily wondered how the practice was faring as she sipped her tea. She couldn’t help but admire the dedication the Gryffindor team had what with all their practices, and the length of them. It was too bad they had lost last year because of stupid Potter and Black.

Lily helped herself to an empire biscuit. She wondered, rather reluctantly, how much more interesting afternoon tea would have been if Potter and Black had been there. For one thing they would make sure Slughorn wouldn’t be the source of all conversation. And she was sure they wouldn’t all still be seated there.

Lily wondered how much longer she would be there as she dragged her attention back to Slughorn, who had now moved on to some of the advantages he experienced as a result of his excellent connections.

* * *

Lily endured another hour with the Slug Club before she was released. By this time it was nearly dinner, so she decided to head straight to the Great Hall. On her way there she came across Gethin who seemed to be waiting for something.

–Hey,” she called to him.

–Hey, Lily,” he answered, his face brightening up. –Slug Club?”

With a forced smile, she answered, –Yes. I’m just off to get an early dinner now.”

–Are you busy later . . . I was just wondering if you’d like to go over our Arithmancy stuff again in the library after dinner?”

–Yeah, sure. I might bring Julianna later if she’s not doing anything. Is that alright?”

–Of course; the more the merrier,” he answered, but he was rather disappointed. He had hoped to have Lily to himself again.

–I’ll see you after dinner then,” said Lily brightly.

Lily continued to the Great Hall. When she walked in, she noticed that the Gryffindor team were already there. She walked over and joined Julianna.

–You’re early,” she noted.

–Not really. This is only our first break. Wood wants us back in . . . ten minutes,” answered Julianna, consulting a watch.

–I suppose studying later is out of the question,” said Lily.

–I don’t think we’ll be there too long. But I promised Matt we’d go over Defense later. I hope you don’t mind.”

–No. I’m meeting Gethin in the library later to do some Arithmancy.”

–Oh really,” teased Julianna. –Anything in it?”

–Just Hogsmeade.”

–Don’t let Am and Mar hear.”

–Only if you tell them first,” Lily said before Julianna and the rest of the team got up to leave.

Lily watched them leave catching Potter’s eye as he went. He gave her a wink, and then sent a spell at Snape which caused him to slop his drink all over the front of his robes. However, she didn’t bother to see if he needed help remembering the last time she tried.

–Would it kill you to be nice,” she called after him, then finished her dinner and headed back up to the dormitory to collect her Arithmancy work for the library.

* * *

–That was awful,” said Sirius, rubbing his back side.

–What do you mean awful, we were amazing,” countered James.

–Yeah, if your rump going numb feels amazing,” said Julianna, rubbing her right arm.

–If every practice ends up like that, I think I might seriously quit,” said Sirius.

As the three turned into the change rooms, Sirius said to Julianna, –Unless you wish to shower twice, I suggest you don’t shower until later.”

–Amanda will freak if I don’t,” she said. –Apparently I sweat like a pig and smell like one too.”

–You’ll just go piggy later,” warned James.

–How do you figure that?” she asked.

–All will be revealed in time,” said Sirius once again.

–Mm,” she said, unimpressed. –Well, then I’ll just have to shower again.” And she headed off to shower.

–Just be there at a quarter to midnight,” called Sirius.

–We won’t have much time,” said James, looking at his watch.

–Then we’ll skip the shower and head straight there to prepare,” replied Sirius.

–You know, I think she’ll really enjoy this,” James told him as they walked toward the castle.

–I just hope Remus and Peter are already there,” Sirius said anxiously.

They continued into the castle and toward the Grand Staircase. About half-way to their destination, Remus and Peter caught up with them.

–We’re already done,” said Peter.

–All we have to do is wait until tonight,” said Remus, who had lowered his voice in case Filch was lurking nearby.

Back in the common room, Amanda and Marlene were talking to a few other girls. As Lily was still in the library with Gethin, and Julianna was with Matt, they continued on planning for something. Whatever they were doing, the four boys could tell they were up to no good, having done much the same thing, but in the safety of their dormitory.

At a quarter to nine, both Lily and Julianna walked in. They walked straight up to their beds, but didn’t notice Amanda and Marlene. When they returned to the common room with their History of Magic work, the group had dispersed leaving Amanda and Marlene alone.

–Where have you been?” asked Marlene, joining them near the fire, Amanda close behind.

–Studying,” Lily and Julianna said together.

–Again?” asked Amanda.

–We have OWLs this year, remember,” Lily said.

Marlene and Amanda went to get their stuff and quietly joined them to do their History of Magic work as well. They were so pre-occupied with their work that they hadn’t noticed the portrait hole open and close of its own accord.

–I’m off to bed,” announced Amanda, yawning.

–Me too,” Marlene said, stifling a yawn of her own.

The two packed up and went up to their warm beds. Lily and Julianna continued to work for another hour before Julianna looked at the clock and noticed it was nearly quarter to midnight.

–I’m starving. I think I’ll head down to the kitchen for a snack,” she announced.

–What - at this time?” asked Lily. –Filch will be about. And what about Peeves?”

–I’ll be quiet,” Julianna said, trying to pacify her.

–It’s your own neck if you get caught,” Lily called after her.

Julianna continued through the deserted corridors. She was aware of the risk sneaking around at night had; she’d spent many nights with James and Sirius in her first two years in detention from such things. Luckily, she really was rather good at sneaking about having grown up with older brothers.

As Julianna neared her destination, she began to get anxious, not because she was afraid of being caught, but because she was excited for whatever they had planned. It really had been too long since she had done something like this.

Julianna stopped suddenly, a sound coming from around the corner. She waited for a moment, and when she was sure it wasn’t approaching, she continued walking.

–Hello?” she whispered when she reached the trophy room.

–No need to whisper,” said Sirius excitedly. –We’ve taken a few precautions just in case.”

Seeing her face, James explained, –We sound-proofed the room so that our shouts won’t be heard.”

–You see, Sirius thought you looked down and could do with some cheering up,” Peter continued.

–And he came up with this little adventure for you,” Remus added.

–I’m really rather shocked he was able to pull it all together,” said James, amused.

–But what exactly will we be doing?” Julianna finally asked.

–Football!” Sirius exclaimed. –We circulated the idea amongst certain trustworthy students who have agreed they’d like to have a match. We wondered where we could possibly have it. And then it struck me: why not in the trophy room? So we huddled together and decided on certain spells that we’d need to cast for it to be safe.”

–There’s an Impervious Charm so that we don’t knock down any of the trophies, not to mention the sound-proofing which was a little tricky,” James continued.

–However, while Filch can’t hear what we’re doing here and be drawn over, that still doesn’t mean he can’t just decide to stroll over and see us. So, we’ve posted a few willing first-years as lookouts to send us a signal if he’s on his way,” said Sirius.

–Or you could have just Confunded him if he got too close,” Julianna said matter-of-factly.

–Too late for that now,” said Remus, wondering how they didn’t think of that.

Julianna was excited. She would enjoy a little football by moonlight. The risk of being caught would make it all the more thrilling, and if they did get caught, well it would be worth it.

But they didn’t get caught. Students from Gryffindor, Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw showed up eager to play. The match was getting particularly intense when one of the first-years sent a warning. It was quickly ended as the students quickly and quietly headed toward their common rooms.

It was a tight fit, but Julianna, James, Sirius, Remus, and Peter all huddled under James’ Invisibility cloak and slowly scurried back up to the Gryffindor Tower, their feet uncovered at the bottom. Once back in the safety of their common room, Julianna cried, –That was brilliant!”

Peter and Remus excused themselves to bed; it was now three in the morning. The other three went to sit down by the fire, which was now down to a bed of coals.

James was watching Julianna’s face, which still looked exhilarated from earlier. Unable to contain himself, he asked, –So what’s really going on with you and that Ravenclaw Keeper?”

Sirius looked at him quickly, giving him a look that seemed to say ‘be careful’.

–Back on the train on Monday, he asked me about Friday night,” she started. –It felt like he dared me into it, so I said yes. Then he kept bumping into me between classes where we talked. That’s why I’ve been late. And Lily, being as perceptive as she is, started making a big deal out of it. She ended up talking me out of cancelling.”

–Evans wasn’t against it?” James asked while Sirius remained silent.

–No. I think she’s rather for it.”

–And what about you?” he asked, feeling awkward that they were having this conversation, but still wanting to know.

–At this point I’m really not too sure,” answered Julianna, also feeling awkward, but glad that it was only James and Sirius, not one of her brothers.

–He seems nice, James,” said Sirius, finally speaking.

–I just want to be sure about him,” James said defensively.

–I think she can take care of herself,” Sirius replied. Really, it was none of their business.

–Yes, please don’t act like big brother. I already have two of those, not to mention a little brother who is here,” she said. –Speaking of which,” she continued, –I may be getting another little brother. Mum’s pregnant - I got an owl this morning.”

–What?!”

–Are you sure?”

–They had always talked about another,” Julianna said, nodding.

–Isn’t she too old?” asked Sirius skeptically.

–I don’t’ think so. She’s forty, but it’ll be her fifth. Oh, and she wants to see all of us at Christmas. Not sure why, but make sure your parents do have Sirius over.”

Julianna refrained from telling them her mother also wished to have Lily over as well. She had made a note not to tell anyone the full details. James would become unbearable over the next four months in anticipation of seeing Lily over the break. Lily would never come if knew she would have to see him at least once during the break. No, best to keep them in the dark on this one.

After a while, James went back to their previous conversation saying, –So does it look serious?”

Once again, Sirius shot him a warning look.

–I don’t know,” Julianna said, throwing up her arms. –I think he’s really keen on me, or at least Lily thinks he is. When we’re together, I don’t feel any different. We eat, we talk about Quidditch, and we do homework. But when I think of anything more, the thought scares me. I mean, we’re only fifteen! And it was only one date! It’s hard for me to think about the rest of my life let alone imagine it with one person. Then I worry if I’ll find the right one and want to call it off before it gets too deep and not be worth it in the end. It’s all a mess!”

Both James and Sirius were caught off guard. They hadn’t expected Julianna to be so forthcoming, but have rather more resistance. They also weren’t prepared for something this personal. She never talked about her feelings. She joked and laughed it off; otherwise she’d remove herself entirely from the situation.

They felt a little out of their league. Who were they to have a heart-to-heart with Julianna? Sure, they’d all dated before, but this was the first time any of them had ever been confronted with the prospect of a long-term relationship, even if this was their first date. It therefore took them several minutes before they replied.

–Go with the flow,” said Sirius. –You always do best without much of a plan. See where the ride takes you. If you find he’s still with you at the end, then fine. If he’s not there, then that’s fine too.”

–I think the fact that you’re so confused is a good sign. It means you’re taking it seriously and might make the effort for it to last,” James said.

–Yeah, but it was one date at the start of our fifth year,” she countered. –It was only last night.”

–Then see where it takes you,” said James.

–You didn’t resist this much with anyone else. In fact, they seemed almost like a joke to get you through a week or two,” Sirius recalled.

–Just sleep on it and know that you can talk to us,” said James.

–I know. Thanks for listening,” she replied. She didn’t mean to be so silly, but they had asked and Matt didn’t seem like the others.

The three stood up, then bade each other good night before heading off to bed, each deep in their own thoughts from their somewhat heavy conversation.
--------
End Notes:
It seems to me that because of his history with Julianna, James could be rather mature when he puts his mind to it. He's curious why his childhood friend isn't talking about it and decides it probably isn't a moment to tease. Nobody's around for him to impress anyway. And Julianna's willingness to speak would also come from their history.


Any guesses as to what's in store for our Muggle Studies class? It'll be revealed in the next chapter, as well as some more Matt/Julianna fluff. (What can I say? They're my favourites at the moment.)
A Trip by Secret Marauder 90
Author's Notes:
Codrington's plans are revealed and Julianna feels spontaneous. Note: This is also fairly Julianna-centric, but I promise much more James and Lily in the future.
--------

It took a long time, but James, Sirius, and Julianna were all able to get to bed and sleep after their serious conversation that night. As luck would have it, Julianna was even able to wake up early for her customary jog before breakfast without any trouble. She had even finished eating before most students had appeared.

After Lily had eaten breakfast, she and Julianna went for a walk on the grounds. Julianna had filled her in about last night with Matt and then about all her confusion which James had brought about. However, she had tactfully left out that she had already had this conversation with James and Sirius.

–I think you should just take it one day at a time,” Lily told her. –I know what you’ll likely say: that it’s just one date, that you can’t base the rest of your life on that -”

–Well you can’t.”

–But that’s no reason to end it either. You can’t just go ending things because you don’t know how you feel otherwise you’ll end up old and alone for the rest of your life.”

–Then what am I supposed to do?”

–See where it takes you. Once you feel something more definite, then you can act on it. Until then just loosen up and enjoy yourself.”

–Never thought I’d hear you say that,” Julianna said in an amused way.

I think he’s gotten to her, Lily thought. And after one date. Nothing would have caused her to feel so confused and wish to talk about it.

They had been walking on the grounds for nearly half an hour. Julianna had grown unusually quiet being so deep in her thoughts. Lily continued to leave her in silence as they made their way back to the castle because of rain.

When Julianna had thought all she could for the time being, she decided to continue wandering around the corridors with Lily. She knew that James and Sirius wouldn’t be up before lunch after that Quidditch practice, football, and their conversation last night. She had time to kill before they could start on her idea.

–So what about you and Gethin?” she asked, unable to think of anything else.

–Pretty much the same as you. He’s really nice and really smart, but I don’t know how serious it is. For now, though, I’ll just keep at it. At the very least he makes for good company and great homework habits.”

–Well then maybe you could help me finish mine. I’m all practiced up, but I’m still behind on papers.”

So they went back to the Gryffindor Tower where they took up seats by the window and continued their homework from the night before. Surprisingly, Amanda and Marlene joined them again after a late breakfast. The four of them worked steadily at their work until lunch where, sure enough, James and Sirius were only just emerging from their beds.

–Late night?” Julianna asked jokingly.

–It was a bit rough,” replied Sirius. He had been knocked over several times by her in her attempts to score. Sirius had mentally made a note to be sure they were on the same team next time.

–Nothing a little massage won’t fix. Right, Evans?” James asked, winking at her and ruffling his bed-head.

–Nobody in their right mind would touch a wart like you.”

–I think a nice hot bath would do the trick,” James continued. –Care to put the bubbles in, Evans?”

–I hope you drown in your bubbles,” retorted Lily before packing up, dragging Julianna with her to get lunch.

–And what a way to go that would be.”

* * *

For the rest of that afternoon, Julianna had managed to get away and start plotting with her four undesirable friends. Lily had gone to the library, somewhat reluctantly, to do her Potions paper with Severus. Amanda and Marlene had once again taken to their Muggle magazines.

With school under way now, Lily noticed Julianna had set up a schedule where she would continue waking up early for a jog, spend her time after classes with Matt, have dinner, go to Quidditch practice, then spend the rest of the evening with Lily.

Despite Julianna’s distance, James and Sirius knew that it wasn’t intentional, and they did get to see her in their classes, during Quidditch, and in the common room. After their late-night conversation, they were reassured that they would not be left in the dark.

The rest of the week had gone by in a flash. Before the students knew it, it was Friday again and Professor Codrington’s fifth year class had forgotten their trip.

The class trundled in early as usual, sat down, and took out their quill and some parchment in anticipation of a lecture. Instead, when Codrington walked in at the start of class, the students were surprised to find he was dressed strangely, as if ready for some adventure.

–As I mentioned last week,” began Codrington, –we will not be having a full class at this time, but merely instructions for later.

–I have spoken to Professor Dumbledore and he has agreed to let me take you on a camping trip this weekend. I have also spoken to your Heads of House and they are aware of this arrangement.”

–But what about Quidditch?” cried James.

–We still have a ton of homework to do,” exclaimed Lori.

–When can we begin?” asked Sirius excitedly.

–There will be no Quidditch practice for any House his weekend, so no one will miss anything. You will also have some free time where you are more than welcome to study.

–This afternoon at two o’clock, we will meet my sixth- and seventh-year classes next to the Quidditch pitch. From there we will walk a short distance into a clearing in the forest where we will spend tonight and tomorrow night in a tent.”

–The Forbidden Forest?”

–Where werewolves are said to be lurking,” said Sirius in a spooky manner. Remus shot him a don’t-make-matters-worse look.

–Yes, the Forbidden Forest. Professor Dumbledore has put some protection in the clearing and surrounding forest for us, so it is perfectly safe where we’ll be.

–However, this is meant to be an educational trip. As this class is Muggle Studies, everything will be done as a Muggle would do it. You will not be allowed to use magic all weekend as our protected area has also been set for no magic to be used. We will get there without magic, set up without magic, prepare our food without magic, and really experience the joys of Muggle camping!

–You will use the rest of the class time now to pack what you will need for the weekend. And think carefully, for we will not come back for anything you may need or have forgotten until Sunday afternoon when we all return.

–If there are no further questions, I will see you with the others at two by the Quidditch pitch,” Codrington concluded.

–Camping? He can’t be serious,” said Rebecca after Codrington left.

–Has anyone ever been camping before?” asked Riley.

–I think he’s having a go at us,” replied Fabian.

–No magic all weekend?” asked Sirius, finally getting up with the rest of the class to leave.

–I think it could be fun,” James said as everyone broke off to head to their dormitory to pack.

–Wait until he sees what Muggle camping’s really like,” Lily whispered to Julianna.

–Why?”

–Because I don’t think he has any idea what we’re in for.”

* * *

Julianna finished packing early. She had decided to pack light and forgo any unnecessary baggage. She was now in the corridors looking for Matt to make use of her extra-long break.

–Done already?”

Julianna spun around and found Matt walking toward her.

–Your packing - it’s all done?”

–Right, you’re going too,” she said after realizing he had continued Muggle Studies. –You could have told me what Codrington was up to.” She punched him playfully.

–And miss this reaction?” he replied, amused.

They walked aimlessly in the corridors together wondering what was in store for that weekend.

–Have you ever been camping before?” asked Julianna.

–Once with my family about ten years ago, but I have a feeling this will be very different. Have you?”

–More like a day trip in my back yard with James. We pretended we were on some fantastic adventure before being called in for dinner,” she said recalling fond memories.

–Should I be jealous?” he asked jokingly.

–Nah. He’s my neighbour and we were seven.”

–I don’t know, mud pies can be pretty binding.”

–Well then I guess there’s no hope,” she said in mock desperation. She had wanted to say that they’d better make some, but something had held her back.

–I’m sure this weekend will be a blast,” Matt said. He had sensed what Julianna was going to say but didn’t. In fact, he was hoping she would have said it.

Matt didn’t know what to think. It had only been a week, but he liked Julianna a lot, however there were times when he wasn’t sure how she felt about him. Not that he was a mushy person; far from it. No, he wasn’t looking for kissing everywhere, cuddling, or even holding hands. It made him nauseous seeing so many couples try hard to show everyone they were together. He knew that would come naturally if that was who they were. What he wanted to know was if Julianna had any sort of attraction for him.

–Are you even listening?”

–Hmm?” He had let his mind wander too long

–Uh-oh, I know that look. A Knut for them?” Julianna asked.

–Look who’s talking now,” Matt Joked.

–Hey, at least I know you better than a few conversations.”

Matt looked at his watch and wondered whether or not he had enough time, and if he did what he would tell her. On the one hand, speaking his mind might turn her off if she wasn’t ready, but it could also speed things up if she was. However, lying would most definitely turn her off no matter what.

–Just thinking stuff,” he answered.

–Mm-hmm.”

Julianna didn’t know what to make of his answer. Did he not want to tell her? Was he afraid to tell her? Or did he not know how she’d take the full answer? Did she want the full answer in that case?

–You know you can talk to people, right?” she said echoing a previous conversation.

–You can be stubborn sometimes, did you know that?”

–One of my many wonderful qualities, I’m sure.”

–And I like you all the more for it,” he said seriously, looking her in the eye as his heart thumped so hard in his chest he was afraid she would see.

Julianna stared back at him, but his eyes were unreadable. Then, acting on impulse, she walked closer to him, closed her eyes, and brought her mouth to his.

* * *

–Where have you been,” Lily asked Julianna.

They were still waiting outside the Potions class, but she had been gone for three quarters of an hour.

–Later,” she said, noting the amount of students now entering the classroom.

Lily gave her a questioning look, but didn’t pursue the matter until they were alone in the dormitory after class. She had waited until she was sure Amanda and Marlene were safely on their way to lunch and they would be alone.

–So where were you before class? When I finished packing I couldn’t find you anywhere,” Lily said. She was prepared to get it out of Julianna because she could tell from the strange look she had during Potions that something had happened.

–I went and found Matt,” Julianna answered.

–And?”

–And nothing,” she avoided.

–Come off it. I can tell something happened. What . . . did you break it off?

–No.”

–Don’t tell me he broke it off? I was so sure he -”

–I kissed him,” Julianna confessed uncomfortably.

Lily didn’t know what to expect, but she wasn’t prepared for that answer. She stood there for a few seconds unsure of what to say.

–Well say something,” Julianna said impatiently.

–Took you long enough,” said Lily, finally snapping out of it.

–Huh?”

–He’s been unsure how you felt about him. It’s been a week and you haven’t given him any kind of hint either way,” explained Lily.

–I wasn’t aware that I had to give a sign. And how do you know?”

–Sev and Gethin aren’t the only ones I’ve seen in the library. He dropped by for a casual talk once before leaving.”

–Oh.”

–He’s been waiting to see if you returned his feelings. And I must admit it’s about time.”

–I see.”

–So what are you going to do about this?”

–I’m just going to see where it leads me. It was a spontaneous, spur of the moment thing. I could just as easily have called it off,” Julianna said stubbornly.

–You’re ridiculous, you know.”

–Funny. That’s what he said.”

Throwing up her arms, Lily said, –I give up. I’m going to lunch.”

--------
End Notes:
I know this is really short. I had originally intended to combine this with the next chapter, but then it was too long for my liking. I hope to post the next chapter really soon. And who saw that coming with Julianna? I sure didn't!
Camping by Secret Marauder 90
Author's Notes:
The long-awaited trip for the Muggle Studies class.
--------

Two o’clock that Friday afternoon saw Professor Codrington’s fifth-, sixth-, and seventh-year classes arriving at the Quidditch pitch as instructed. They remained mostly silent, waiting for him to appear with further instruction.

Some students had taken what he said to heart and had packed large bags. They had crammed many of their textbooks and some parchment and quills in order to make the most of their free time, along with a week’s worth of clothing. There were other students, though, that had packed to bare minimum in a small rucksack. These students decided to forgo textbooks and homework entirely and had enough clothing to last the weekend.

Finally, Professor Codrington appeared from the forest.

–Is everyone here?” he asked, counting heads. –Excellent. I have gone ahead and prepared our spot a little with the necessary supplies, so everything is waiting for us there.

–As I said this morning, magic will be useless once we reach the camp area. But by all means, bring you wands and try. Alright - let’s go.”

Professor Codrington led the class into the forest where they began their trek. It wasn’t long before the students realized they weren’t just going beyond the tree line.

–How much longer?”

–My stuff is heavy.”

–I thought it was close by.”

–We’ve only been walking for five minutes,” Codrington said as he continued deeper into the undergrowth.

–Yeah, where’s your sense of adventure,” asked Sirius. He was rather enjoying this trip so far.

–Maybe next time you won’t over-prepare,” said Julianna, pleased that she had packed light.

–How do the Muggles do this?”

–Aren’t you a Muggleborn?” a sixth-year Ravenclaw asked a seventh-year Hufflepuff.

–I’ll bet you five Galleons Lori cries before this trip is done,” James whispered to Sirius and Remus.

–No, it’ll be Rebecca first,” Sirius countered.

–I’m in, but neither of them will break,” said Remus.

The group walked on through the forest for another fifteen minutes before finally coming to the clearing. With many sighs of relief, the students walked into the clearing and dropped their heavy bags.

–There . . . that wasn’t so bad, was it?” asked Codrington.

Several students mumbled inarticulately.

–I want you now to split up into your separate classes . . . Perfect. Our first task will be to set up shelter unless you wish to sleep under the stars.

–There will be about three or four of you to a tent . . . no Sirius, you can’t share a tent with Alysia. To make it interesting, we will see who can erect their tents first. The last class to do so will be responsible for getting dinner ready and cleaning up afterward. You may work as a team or as individual tents. Tents are over there . . . GO!”

James and Sirius dashed to the pile, closely followed by Julianna, and were the first ones to the tents. They did not want to be last and have to cook. As the rest approached, they leapt over the pile and headed back to their class to begin setting up.

–I think we should set up under the trees,” said Riley. He had noticed the ominous-looking rain clouds.

–Is there a tarp for extra cover?” asked Lily.

–Okay,” said James, taking charge. –Riley, Lori, Fabian and Evans - you four get the tarp and rope and worry about putting it above us. The rest of us will start on the tents.”

James looked around to gauge where they all were. –Maybe we can kill two owls with one stone. Jules, you and Remus will join me with this tent. Sirius, you take Rebecca and Gethin and start on that tent. Then we’ll only have one left.”

Riley and his group returned and began to put up the tarp. The only problem was that it was right in the middle of where James was working on one of the tents.

–Potter, you’re in the way,” said Lily angrily, trying to get around him.

–I was here first, Evans!”

–Come on, the others are nearly done with their tarp,” observed Remus.

–Jay, I think that pole is supposed to be here,” Julianna told him.

–No, the picture says it’s supposed to lay across the centre,” James showed her.

Meanwhile Sirius was having less luck on their tent.

–I can’t find the instructions,” Rebecca panicked.

–Forget them . . . we’ll wing it,” said Sirius.

–Wait, I see them . . . Fab was hiding them behind the tarp,” said Gethin.

–Why isn’t our tarp up,” cried James. He had noticed that the sixth-year class was pulling ahead.

–If you got out of our way, Potter, we might be able to put it up!” Lily yelled at him.

–Fine . . . go put the tarp up,” James fumed, stopping what he was doing to move aside for them.

Lily and Riley each climbed into trees on either side of where the tents were to go. There they were able to tie a rope across their site so they could drape their tarp over it.

–So if it rains, the water won’t pool in the centre and collapse,” Riley explained to Lori.

–Great. Can we get back to the tents now?” James asked impatiently. The sixth-years now had their tarp and two tents up.

The fifth-year class set to work on their three tents simultaneously. As such, they kept backing into one another.

–Evans, you’re too close,” said Sirius.

–Black, you have the opening of you tent facing a tree,” Lily told him.

–I want a nice view,” he retorted.

Lily rolled her eyes, but was pleased to see she was right when Sirius had his group rotate the tent. Her group was almost done with their tent, but they would never be first.

The sixth-years had finished and were now busy bringing their stuff in and exploring the inside. It was now a race between the others who would be last.

–Evans, hand me the mallet. This peg is too loose,” Remus said. But as the loose peg was hammered, the tent collapsed - the poles had been put in the wrong place as Julianna had pointed out earlier.

–And we have our winners,” Codrington called out once the seventh-years had finished. –When the fifth-years have completed their work, they will report to me to begin our dinner. The other two classes will go into the forest and collect wood for the fire. Hagrid has assured me that the Bowtruckles are not in this area, so they won’t bother us.”

It took James and his class a further ten minutes to properly put up their remaining two tents. A light rain had started which didn’t add to their mood. By the time they had finished, everyone had taken to their tents, all thoughts of gathering wood for a fire forgotten in the rain.

–I think we should settle ourselves before beginning dinner,” said Fabian.

The group met the next shock when they went to go in the tents. They were expecting what they deemed a ‘regular tent’ with a kitchen, washrooms, bedrooms, and running water. Instead they were seeing the wall of the other side of the tent immediately in front of them.

–This is it?” asked Julianna. She knew there would be no magic in Muggle camping, but she had expected at the very least an inner wall to divide into rooms.

–Where are the beds?” Rebecca asked.

–Forget the beds. Where’s the loo?” said Lori, beginning to panic.

Lily stood there trying to contain her laughter.

–I see you’ve noticed the washroom situation,” Codrington said, walking over and looking amused. –I will not make you dig a hole to go, or use a leaf. Just over there are two toilets.”

Lori had a look of terror on her face

–What about the showers?” Rebecca asked tentatively.

–There is a water pump nearby in the forest that has been set up for our use. You may use a bucket to collect water from there to use. Or you may choose to simply wait until we are back at Hogwarts.”

–I hate to ask, but what’s for dinner?” said James.

–There are some grocery ingredients over there by the fire pit. You are also welcome to search the forest for things, but I recommend you stick to what I brought.”

The ten went over to see what had been provided. There was a mish-mash of meat, a few cans of various sauces, different spices, a tin of beans, two bags of crisps, and an assortment of more food beneath the lot.

–I don’t know about the rest of you, but I’m not washing dishes,” said Julianna firmly.

–Neither am I,” announced James.

–You have to do something,” Remus told the pair of them.

–I have an idea. What if half of us only work on dinner while the other half only clean up,” compromised Lily.

–That would take us longer, but I hate cooking. It works for me,” said Lori.

–Then if we’re all agreed . . . I would prefer to cook,” said Lily.

Julianna also decided to cook along with James, Sirius and Remus.

–If I can eat food, how hard can it be to make it,” argued Sirius. Thanks to his family’s wealth, he had never cooked a day in his life.

Those who volunteered to wash up left to their tents. James and Remus started pulling out a bunch of food hoping to gain inspiration.

–Has anyone ever cooked before?” Julianna asked.

The three boys shook their heads while Lily said, –Only baking.”

–Well, lucky for you I have. I just hope we have a few ingredients . . . yes! Alright, don’t laugh, but I suggest we just make spaghetti,” said Julianna.

–Tell us what to do,” replied Lily.

Julianna proved to be a whiz at making spaghetti thanks to her nonna. She was just thankful Codrington had everything she needed.

The pasta was a hit. Everyone was so tired from their walk there, setting up camp, and searching for fire wood that appetites were extra-large.

–I hope this isn’t expected for every meal,” said a seventh-year girl.

–Yeah, I don’t think we can compete with grandma’s recipe,” Alysia said.

After everyone was finished eating, the other fifth-years set to work cleaning up. When they had finished and rejoined the group, Codrington addressed his three classes.

–I hope you are all enjoying yourselves so far. We have more to do tomorrow.

–I now give you free time where you can do what you please - within reason, now - for the next hour and a half. At this time you will all have to retire to your tents, and lights out will be thirty minutes after that.”

Many of the students chose to study in the remainder of what light was left. James, Sirius, and Remus went off to wander in the forest. Seeing Matt approaching, Lily tactfully went to go join Lori and Rebecca.

–Full?” asked Julianna.

–It’s no Hogwarts, but it’ll do,” Matt joked. Food at Hogwarts really was good, though.

–Nonna’s recipe is a keeper.”

–I didn’t know you could cook.”

–Not much choice. My dad’s parents are old-school Muggles and felt it necessary I should learn in order to find a husband.”

–You sound thrilled,” he noted.

–Just because I can do it doesn’t mean I like to do it.”

–Better than having to clean up afterward.”

Julianna smiled and nodded in agreement. She hated doing dishes.

–Any big plans for tonight?” she asked as they walked into the forest.

–You mean other than lights out?”

–Don’t forget about our tent-time retirement,” she added.

–Just wandering.”

–Wandering’s fun.” They walked in silence for a few minutes before -

–Shh . . . do you hear that?” Matt said suddenly.

Julianna paused and strained her ears. All she could hear was the wind blowing through the leaves of the trees and the occasional drop of rain on them.

–The wind,” he said in confirmation.

Julianna didn’t know what to think. Eventually she came to awe. She loved forests and trees and all that - they were beautiful to look at. But it hadn’t occurred to her to pause for the wind. It was an altogether different feeling being shown how to appreciate what she already did, but in a different way.

Acting on impulse again, Julianna grabbed his hand letting their fingers intertwine. When she looked into his eyes and smiled, he squeezed her hand while they continued to listen to the wind through the leaves.

Without realizing it, the daylight had rapidly faded. Julianna and Matt had to stumble through their way back without the use of their wands for light. Just before the clearing, Julianna held Matt back. She took a few breaths to steady herself before speaking.

–Maybe I wasn’t clear before, or you were looking for a sign that I didn’t know I should be giving. I’m impatient, and over-competitive, and sometimes a little insensitive because of that,” she said, her heart now racing. –But I just wanted you to know that I’m really glad you’re here with me.”

When she went to look in his eyes, her blood pumping fast, she saw that he was directly in front of her and was closing the gap. His mouth an inch from her ear, Matt whispered, –I know.”

Julianna could feel his breath tickle her neck before he pulled her into a deep kiss.

* * *

The two remained at the edge of the clearing together until Codrington called for everyone to return to their tents. Everyone spent that evening in sleeping bags provided by Codrington on the forest floor.

The next morning, because of rain which had started the afternoon before, the students remained under their tarps that they had set up the previous day. For the fifth-years, it was filled with many complaints.

–Is anyone else as sore as I am,” said James while rubbing his back.

–The ground was hard last night,” replied Sirius.

–At least you had solid ground,” complained James. –I had to sleep on a large tree root with a few acorns as pillows.”

–Babies,” Lily whispered to herself.

–Judging by those bags under your eyes, Evans, I would say you didn’t have a great night either,” James argued, having heard her comment.

–At least my hair doesn’t look like a Kneazle went through it,” Lily argued back.

–What do you mean . . . his hair always looks like that,” said Julianna, while Sirius and Remus laughed next to her.

–Whose side are you on anyway,” said James, irritably. A short, uncomfortable sleep didn’t agree well with him.

Before Julianna could answer, she was saved by Codrington who had been going around informing everyone that the hike he had planned wold not be happening. The rain had started to come down harder as the morning progressed.

–Unless the rain lets up, our other plans may have to be cancelled as well. You can have free time until I can decide what to do.” Codrington walked back to his own tent.

–Well I think I’ll go do that Astronomy paper,” announced Lily. She couldn’t handle being around Potter any longer and had to get away.

Depressed by the rain and their situation, Lori and Rebecca joined Lily in the tent they were sharing.

–Maybe they’re on to something,” said Fabian. He, Gethin, and Riley then went into the tent they were sharing to go do their own homework. Now only James, Sirius, Remus, and Julianna were left under their tarp.

James looked around and noticed that the other students were also looking rather depressed while studying. He thought that what they needed was a pick-me-up; some kind of fun to liven their trip.

–And I have just the thing,” he concluded out loud.

The others looked at him rather confused.

–What?”

–Care to elaborate?”

–He’s gone insane.”

Giving the others a mischievous grin, James asked, –Care to have a little competition?”

–Do tell,” Sirius said sarcastically.

–Football in the rain.”

–Mud and all?” Remus asked.

–Mud and all,” confirmed James.

–As long as I’m on her team,” replied Sirius, pointing at Julianna. He still hadn’t forgotten the pain that followed their last game when they were on opposing teams.

–You have the ball then?” asked Julianna. Anything to get her moving. She couldn’t handle sitting there for the rest of the day.

–I’ll check with Codrington, but we could start after lunch,” said James, now getting up to ask.

–He can’t say no - he introduced the Muggle game,” commented Sirius.

It was all set. The fifth-years against the seventh-years with the sixth-years divided between the two groups. Not everyone had agreed to play - mostly the girls on account of the rain and mud. Professor Codrington would be the referee, dressed in an absurd-looking poncho to keep from getting wet.

The match was just as muddy and slippery as anyone could have hoped for. After their midnight stint last week, and playing together as Chasers for several years, James, Sirius, and Julianna were a force to be reckoned with. The game was intense enough to draw those not playing from their studies to watch.

–I don’t think so,” Julianna muttered to herself as she approached the net with the ball. Matt was the goalie for the opposing team and she knew she’d never live it down if she failed to score.

–Bring it on,” Matt said to himself. He watched her approach and knew what she was thinking, determined to block the ball no matter what.

But to everyone’s surprise, she kicked the ball to Sirius at the last second. Matt wasn’t prepared for this and dived the wrong way allowing Sirius to score.

–What was that?” Matt called after her, getting up out of the mud.

–Just keeping you on your toes guessing,” yelled Julianna before she collided with Sirius in a wet hug. The force of the hug, though, knocked them both down and into the mud.

Lily watched the match from under their tarp. She couldn’t see how sliding into the mud was a laughing matter, but it was fun to watch anyway.

As the game broke up for a quick break, the fifth-years headed back toward Lily under their tarp.

–Come play,” said Julianna, filthy but exhilarated.

–And get covered in mud? Yeah right.”

–Come on. Rick said he’s done and we’ll be down a player,” said Remus, attempting to coerce her into playing.

–I can’t play in the rain,” she protested.

–Never mind,” said James. –We can just play and let Evans mope by herself.”

–I’m not moping, Potter.”

–I’m sure you’re not,” he said with a pacifying tone.

Lily watched as they traipsed back to resume the game before she said, –Fine . . . but if we lose I’m not to blame.” She put her Astronomy away and joined them in the rain and mud.

The rain continued to pound harder once the match resumed. While not in the same league as Julianna, Lily was still a decent player and managed to steal the ball for her team a few times. She had also managed to remain soaked, but free from mud until they won. Everyone was dragged down into the mud in a team hug.

–See - I knew you could play,” Julianna told her.

–It’s a good thing Amanda isn’t here or she’d have a hippogriff at the sight of us,” commented Lily.

–Aw, you’re still filthy attractive to me, Evans,” said James, joining in the laughter at his pun.

Lily pushed him back down into the mud, and then went with Julianna to the water pump to try and wash up.

–Of all the times it could have stopped raining, it decides to now that we’re caked in mud,” muttered Lily under her breath.

Finally free of mud and dressed in dry clothing, Codrington announced that they would be having a fire on their last night.

–You all seem so fond of competition, I think we should break back into our classes and see who can collect enough wood and start a fire first. Matches are over where you found the sleeping bags . . . GO!”

Trying to be quick, Sirius ran to get matches, but he slipped and fell on the wet grass. James likewise stumbled over a branch while heading to get some wood. Remus laughed at his two friends until he slipped on wet leaves in the forest and joined them on the ground.

–How does he expect us to make a fire with wet wood?” asked Gethin. So they began a search for dry wood, or at least drier than the majority of the wood.

Once they made a pile of wood, Rebecca began to light match after match, trying to light the wood and start a fire. She had gone through half the box before Lily couldn’t take it any longer.

–Does anyone actually know how to start a fire before we go through our entire set of matches,” she asked.

–Sort of,” said James and Julianna, both recalling when they tried to set things on fire in their youth.

–Someone find me dry leaves and grass . . . anything to burn easily. I need twigs to go on top and catch those flames. Now I need bigger branches and logs for it to last long.”

Lily delegated to her class and began to rebuild the fire. She blew on the dry leave to encourage the sparks and continued to poke and stoke the fire until they had a nice, healthy fire.

–We went camping a lot and dad wanted to be sure I knew how to do it” she explained.

–A red-head with a thing for fire . . . I’ll take it,” said James, winking at Lily and ruffling his hair. He was rewarded with his comment by a healthy punch in the arm by her.

Codrington announced them the winners and everyone gathered around their fire. They were especially glad it was large because the dampness outside was making them cold.

After dinner, Codrington began to explain s’mores. It took a few moments to get James and Sirius passed the pointy sticks, but they got excited when they heard they would put a sugary puff in the fire and eat it with chocolate. They were thrilled, after their initial shock, when the marshmallows caught fire.

–I think they’re having too much fun,” Matt whispered to Julianna and Lily.

–They seemed to have missed their calling as Muggles,” observed Julianna.

Lily covertly chucked a marshmallow at James after he and Sirius had been banned from further s’more-making and stripped of their sticks. What she hadn’t noticed was that he had been watching her and was ready for the attack.

–No wasting food, Evans,” he teased, popping the marshmallow in his mouth and going back to his conversation with Sirius and Remus.

Lily glared at Potter before her view was blocked by Gethin coming to join her.

–Marshmallow?” he said, offering her what looked like the perfectly roasted marshmallow.

Lily took it, grateful of the distraction. Potter always seemed to know how to get on her nerves. It was refreshing to have Gethin there who was so pleasing and easy to get along with.

They spent the rest of their evening roasting marshmallows until they were sick, talking about nothing in particular. Occasionally they joined conversations with Matt and Julianna, but were otherwise left to their own devices which suited them fine.

* * *

–ARGH!”

Everyone was woken up suddenly the next morning to someone’s scream. Fearing the worst, everyone hastily scrambled out of their sleeping bags and fumbled with the tent entrance zipper. Once free, everyone was met with . . .

–Toilet paper?”

–We’ve been rolled!”

–No, someone’s tepeed the site!”

–How are we supposed to go now?”

–Use a leaf!”

Everyone was confused at the sight of the white around the clearing. All became clear, though, when you could hear uncontrollable laughter from one specific tent.

–Potter!” cried Lily. Of course they couldn’t go two days without pulling some kind of prank, no matter how childish. So she marched over to their tent and began pulling out the pegs from the ground. Seeing what she was doing, Julianna gladly went over with a few others who, at her count, took the poles and collapsed the tent on them.

–Lily, what’s gotten into you?” asked Gethin. He didn’t think she would ever have sunk to their level and do something like that.

–I’ve had up to here with his stupidity,” she roared.

–Well done,” said a gleeful Julianna, going over to shake her hand. –Absolutely smashing!”

It took most of the morning, but the three were able to de-paper the clearing. Everyone then packed up their bags, took down the tarps and tents, and began their hike back to the castle.

–This was fun,” said Sirius up at the front.

–This way feels longer,” someone complained.

–Why is everything so heavy?”

–Metal tends to be that way.”

Codrington smiled to himself, hearing their complaints and purposely taking them the long way back to incorporate his original plans for a hike. He was sure everyone enjoyed the weekend, regardless of what they were saying now.

--------
End Notes:
I hope you enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed writing it. I, personally, love camping. My family is full of nuts, so we have a lot of interesting adventures together. Anyone else have any camping stories they want to share? Poison ivy, perhaps? Or maybe you'd rather review instead?!
A Confused Week by Secret Marauder 90
Author's Notes:
A Hogsmeade weekend comes up, whaling ensues, and Julianna becomes confused after a heartfelt talk with James.
--------

The weekend camping trip was the talk of the upper level Muggle Studies students. However much they had complained and were not allowed using magic, it had stuck with them and gave them something to gloat about to everyone else. They continued to talk about it for the next month or so as gossip was slow at Hogwarts for the moment.

The weather continued to get cooler and the leaves of the trees began to change colour. October was soon under way bringing with it a notice for the date of the first Hogsmeade weekend at the end of the month.

–He wouldn’t,” said a disbelieving James.

–I love Quidditch as much as the next person, but Wood can’t seriously expect to schedule a practice that day after we already practice five times a week,” said Sirius.

The Gryffindor team, minus Wood, had just heard from Alysia that Wood was considering adding an extra practice that day.

–He wants to be sure on our first game,” she explained.

–I wonder what he’d do if we all refused to show up,” Jack wondered.

–Has someone told Brenda?” Julianna asked. –She’ll have his head if they don’t go to Hogsmeade. She’s been planning it forever.”

Brenda was Wood’s girlfriend and one of the Chasers on the Hufflepuff team. She was also very particular about how much time they spent together and his Quidditch practices were getting in the way of their quality time together.

The Gryffindor team weren’t the only ones concerned about the upcoming Hogsmeade weekend. Gethin and Lily were setting up their plans for the day during one of their many study times in the library. After the camping trip, they had been spending a lot more time together.

–I think I’ll actually throw up if we go to Madam Puddifoot’s” Lily told Gethin.

–Good. I don’t think I can handle that place after Valentine’s Day,” he replied, remembering his last trip there. He wasn’t so sure he was wanted back there anyway.

–Definitely the Three Broomsticks.”

–And we should check out the Shrieking Shack. You know, they say it’s haunted.”

Lily nodded. She had heard that too, but lately she had been noticing certain things and only one answer made sense. But she didn’t want to tell anybody.

Matt and Julianna had also made plans for the weekend together. Just like Gethin and Lily, they decided they would avoid Madam Puddifoot’s for obviously sickening reasons.

Ever since camping, they had been nearly inseparable. They spent their time studying and practicing together, going to the basement for a snack, and just talking.

–They have to be the strangest couple,” Amanda said to Marlene one day in the common room after Julianna had left to find Matt.

–Tell me about it,” she replied. –They don’t even hold hands!”

–I know! How can you form a relationship and not hold hands!”

–She’s about as un-girly as they come . . . Peter’s more of a girl than she is,” cried Marlene.

–Well, it’s a good thing we have a plan.”

–We’re nearly complete. All we need now is the right moment, then . . . BAM! She won’t know what hit her.”

–Now all we need to do in the meantime is find dates to Hogsmeade,” said Amanda sadly.

–How is it that Julianna gets a date -”

–A smoking hot one -”

–And she wasn’t even trying.”

–I know,” Amanda said, –she didn’t even want a boyfriend and now she has one of the most gorgeous boys at Hogwarts.”

They continued to lament their fate, dejected at Julianna’s good fortune. Meanwhile, four boys were once again locked up in their dormitory concocting plans.

–Pete, it’s up to you, buddy.”

–Then next time you won’t be alone, Remus.”

–You know, I was thinking,” said Sirius. –It was awfully close last time with Filch. We were nearly caught.”

–Nearly.”

–We need a way to know where he is,” Sirius continued.

–I sense you have a plan,” said James.

Sirius explained his idea to his friends. They all agreed it was a good idea and started brainstorming ways to execute it. When they finally had that plan in place, James said, –Filch won’t know if he’s coming or going.”

–He’ll have no idea who’s out at night,” said Peter.

–Well he will, he’ll just have no proof of it,” corrected Remus.

–And now for Hogsmeade,” James brought up.

–You know, I was thinking about that,” said Sirius.

–You’re just full of ideas,” James commented.

–Don’t look so surprised . . . anyway, we need dates.”

–I’m going to go stag,” James emphasized.

–Well I’m already going with Rebecca. I asked her after Muggle Studies last week,” said Remus.

–And I asked Isabelle this morning,” added Peter.

–No one thought to tell me to get a move on? Now I’m depressed,” moped Sirius.

–I hear Marlene’s looking for someone,” Remus offered.

–She’s a cling on. I won’t be able to breathe,” said Sirius.

–Cheer up, mate,” said James. –Amanda’s looking for someone too, and you know what a catch she is. I’m sure she’ll go if you ask her.”

–You think?” Sirius asked brightening up. –Yeah, she’d be thrilled to go with me. Who wouldn’t?”

* * *

Before anyone knew it, the last weekend in October had come which also meant that the Hogsmeade trip had arrived. That morning, the student body had woken up to a thick layer of fog on the grounds, and it was so damp out you could bathe in it.

–At least we’ll have some privacy,” said Remus, trying to be optimistic.

–But I want everyone to see me with you,” Amanda whined to Sirius. He had been right in assuming that she would be thrilled.

–We’ll just conveniently bump into people so they can see us,” Sirius replied, grabbing her hand and trying to pacify her.

Now this is what a relationship needs, thought Amanda. She was ecstatic when he took her hand and couldn’t wait to tell Marlene.

Lily was already seated with Julianna for breakfast when she saw Amanda walk in with Sirius. She was pleased to see how happy she was, but at the same time she couldn’t get away from the fact that it was Black, Potter’s best friend. That made Black just as much the enemy as Potter.

–Ew, guys, not while I’m eating,” said a nauseated Julianna.

–We’re only holding hands,” argued Amanda, but pleased that they were noticed.

–Yeah, and Sirius is looking at you like you’re a cauldron cake.” Julianna got up from the table and left her half-eaten stack of waffles behind.

Somewhere on her way back to the Gryffindor Tower she came across Matt who was heading down for a late breakfast.

–If you ever look at me like that, I swear I’ll punch you,” she warned him.

–Good morning to you, too.”

–Just look at Amanda and Sirius and you’ll know what I mean,” she said, continuing on her way.

–I’ll see you later then,” he called after her.

When Matt walked into the Great Hall, he took note of Sirius’ looks at Amanda. They met to go to Hogsmeade a little while later, and Matt immediately commented, –If I ever give you a look like that, I give you my permission to punch me.”

–Sickening, isn’t it?” she replied.

–I’ll say,” Lily said, coming up from behind with Gethin.

–That goes for you too,” Julianna said to the pair of them. –But I think I’ll punch you directly, Gethin.”

–Yes ma’am,” he said, saluting her. Then he took Lily and they made their way to the village.

–What a strange one,” Gethin said, shaking his head.

–She means well. Anyway, would you like to look that ridiculous?” she asked him, nodding at the blur in the fog ahead of them.

–Only if you call me Snookums,” he joked. Lily snorted in reply.

Up ahead, Sirius and Amanda were holding hands and were having a serious conversation.

–So where should we go,” asked Sirius.

–I hear there’s the most lovely tea room, perfect for privacy,” answered Amanda.

–Wherever you are is perfect enough for me,” gushed Sirius.

Amanda blushed deeply. She was absurdly pleased with herself and her current situation. She could only think of one thing that wold make it even better . . .

–How long have they been like that?” asked Lily when she walked into the common room at the end of the day.

–They were like that before dinner,” said Peter.

James made retching noises when he walked in fifteen minutes later with Remus and Julianna.

–Grow up, Potter,” said Lily, rolling her eyes.

–How -” started Julianna.

–Since some time before dinner,” Lily answered.

–They’ll have to surface some time for air,” James commented.

–They’re not whales!” said Lily, slightly disgusted.

–Anyone for a spot of football,” Julianna said suddenly, eager to escape.

–Anything to get away from that,” said James, standing up at once.

–I’m meeting Sev in the library,” said Lily, unaware of the stony look on James’ face.

–I think Rebecca might fancy a stroll,” Remus replied, joining the others at the portrait hole.

Everyone made their way to their various destinations, keen to avoid their common room. When it was nearly nine o’clock, they all returned to find that Sirius and Amanda hadn’t moved.

–They’re still at it?” cried Julianna.

–Atta boy, Sirius,” said James, unsure of what else to say.

–How can two people possibly snog for that long?” exclaimed Lily.

They all went to sit down, careful to keep a good distance from them.

–Hey, watch out, Jules. Wouldn’t want you to slip in a puddle of saliva,” James joked, helping her into her seat.

–Thanks. I appreciate you concern,” she said, joining in. –I can practically see their mush oozing right now. Be careful, wouldn’t want you to catch anything from it.”

–Too. Much. Influence,” Lily said as they burst out laughing.

–Maybe . . . Madam Pomfrey . . . has . . . a cure . . . for . . . swollen lips!” James said between fits of laughter.

–No . . . no, I’ve got it . . . Lily can . . . whip us up a . . . a potion . . . a potion for . . . for . . . dying whales,” laughed Julianna. But they were so overcome with merriment that they hadn’t noticed she had left for the dormitory along with most of the other students.

–There’s a reason they call it love sick,” said James.

–Yeah, it’s sickening,” replied Julianna, still bent double from laughter.

–No . . . it’s puppy love,” cried James, unable to control himself at his joke. Julianna didn’t get the joke, but went into a renewed state of laughter seeing how James was.

–Phew . . . can’t breathe,” she said.

–Neither can they,” he joked.

–No . . . side . . . haha . . . hurts,” she said, now clutching the stitch in her side.

It took them a good five minutes before their roars of laughter subsided and they were finally able to sit in relative peace. They then sat there watching the fire die down.

–I don’t know how they can still be at it,” wondered James.

–I’ll bet it’s the longest kiss Hogwarts has ever seen,” commented Julianna.

–Still . . .”

Julianna sat there watching James for a while when a thought came to her. She had seen James date other girls. In fact, he often bragged about the quantity of dates he’s had. Mostly for a single date, but a date nonetheless. But how often had they ended with a kiss? While she didn’t go with him to his dates for obvious reasons, she wasn’t sure how many of them he had actually kissed. Surely he would brag about each and every one of them like Sirius had. But James hadn’t.

–James, have you had your first kiss?” Julianna asked suddenly, aware of how awkward the following conversation was sure to be.

He was caught off guard and began to blush before shaking his head and answering with a timid, –No.”

–Why ever not?” she asked rather bluntly.

It was just as awkward having this conversation as Julianna though, especially while Sirius sat there snogging Amanda next to them. In the end James supposed they were too absorbed in themselves to pay attention, so he answered, –It never felt right.”

Julianna gave him a that’s-not-an-answer look.

–I always thought I’d wait for someone special to have it with,” he said awkwardly. –I’d rather not go snogging every girl I’ve dated and make it so commonplace that it’s never special.”

–Fair enough.”

–Have you gone and kissed all the guys you’ve gone out with? I didn’t think so . . . He must be pretty special,” James commented suddenly.

It was Julianna’s turn to be caught off guard. She gave him a failed attempt at a look of confusion.

–Come off it, Jules. I can see it.”

–See what?”

–The looks you give him . . . no, I don’t mean one’s that make you nauseous. When you look at Matt, all I see is complete respect and acceptance. You enjoy his company for what it is and don’t expect anything in return.”

She didn’t know what to say, and her silence dragged on. Sure she respected him, but she respected a lot of people. Acceptance was basically the same thing. And as with anyone you respected and accepted, of course you would enjoy their company. How could James see anything beyond that? Pretty special indeed.

James let her mull over his words in silence as they waited to see if the kissing couple would soon separate for the night. When it appeared they wouldn’t, James and Julianna bade each other a good night a headed for their respective dormitories.

–Finally calmed down, have you?” asked Lily quietly. Marlene was already in bed asleep. –Are they still at it?”

Before Julianna could so much as think the answer, she began quietly telling Lily what James had just said and was now waiting for her to agree that James must have had one too many butterbeers today.

However, Lily remained silent. She was impressed at how perceptive Potter had been toward feelings other than his own. Even now she was regretting that kiss goodnight with Gethin thinking how empty it had actually been.

Curse Potter for making me think this, she thought. He was supposed to be the hopelessly immature one while she was the sensible one. He was the one who dated just about every girl he met while she waited for the right ones. He made sure to drop them within a week or two while she would wait it through and have a relationship that lasted. Who was Potter, then, to go giving Julianna good advice? How could he have noticed what she had as well?

–For once,” she said hesitantly, –I think Potter’s right.”

–Come again?” Surely Julianna had heard wrong.

–You have a lot of respect for him. It looks like you really like him.”

Julianna began to protest.

–Look at you now,” Lily went on. –The Julianna I know would never have actually sought out to talk about her feelings. She would have never been so unsure. You’re confused because these are some new feelings and you don’t know what to do about it.”

–The fact that I respect people isn’t something new and confusing for me,” Julianna argued.

–Wake up, Julie. This isn’t just about respect anymore. It may have only been two months, but I think you really care about him and have come to value his companionship. I don’t know if it is love, but it’s more than whatever you think it is.”

Lily then tugged the curtains of her four poster bed and, like James, left Julianna to think about things.

* * *

–She’s still sleeping. I don’t think she’s feeling well. She must have eaten something funny at dinner last night,” said Lily.

It was lunch time on the Sunday, the day after Hogsmeade. Matt had asked Lily about Julianna, but was disappointed.

Lily had woken up as usual: groggy. She ambled about getting ready. It wasn’t until she returned after breakfast, then, that she noticed the curtains were still closed around Julianna’s bed. Making sure she was alright, Lily peaked in and found that she was still lying in bed.

No jog? Lily questioned. Julianna hadn’t missed a day of jogging since that first Quidditch match in third year except for that one time she was really sick last year.

She seemed fine last night, thought Lily. But was she? Maybe that talk was a little too much for her after all.

Now it was lunch and Lily had the unfortunate job of informing Matt that she wasn’t there because of him. Splendid.

–Oh, well tell her I hope she feels better,” Matt told her.

–Jules is sick?” James asked, sitting down in the Great Hall next to Lily.

–What does it matter to you?” Lily said rather rudely. She couldn’t wait to find a new seat after seeing what he and Black were doing to a student’s food at breakfast.

–In case you haven’t noticed, I’m one of her friends too,” James retorted.

–You started it with that talk of yours last night. I just agreed. Why don’t you go ask her what’s up yourself,” Lily said in a huff. Then she got up and stormed to the other end of the Gryffindor table and ate her lunch silently.

Later while Lily was on her way to meet Gethin, Sirius and Amanda approached her. It looked as though their hands were glued to each other’s.

–Lily, is Julianna alright?” Amanda asked, genuinely concerned. –We just saw James and he told us she’s still up in her bed.”

–Since when did he become James?” Lily exclaimed. Most people had learned to refer to him strictly as ‘Potter’ when in her presence. Julianna couldn’t kick the habit.

–Touchy,” Sirius whispered to Amanda.

–Don’t you start with me,” Lily warned.

–What has he done?”

–Yeah. What have I done?”

–It’s your best friend that made her like this with his perceptive chat. Go ask him.” And she stormed off.

Lily was now in a foul mood. She was rotten company with Gethin. In fact, she was so displeasing that he was forced to make an excuse to get away, wondering what he had done. She even caused the first- and second-years to shy away from her, but she couldn’t be troubled.

At dinner, Matt was back at her wondering how Julianna was faring. It took all of her effort not to snap at him for badgering her and not leaving her alone. It was after this that she thought it would be the safest for the student body if she retired to her dormitory.

For the next week, both Lily and Julianna deliberately sought solitude. They seemed barely conscious during their lessons, and during meal time they hardly ate. It became a common theory that someone had turned them into Inferi. The two hadn’t spoken to anyone and were starting to affect those closer to them.

When Friday evening finally came around, Amanda and Marlene were waiting for them in their dormitory. They could have been hoping to resurrect their recently forgotten girl’s night if it wasn’t for the look on their faces. Something had to be done; everyone was fed up with them.

–If one of you doesn’t talk soon, I’m going to fix Julianna’s face with makeup,” threatened Marlene. She meant business.

–What’s wrong with the two of you? Neither of you has spoken all week. The last time Lily did, she nearly bit my head off,” said Amanda.

–Fine. Great.”

–Never better. Fantastic.”

–Save it,” said Marlene. –Lily, the sooner you talk, the better it’ll be.”

–I really have no idea, but it all started with her being confused” replied Lily, pointing at Julianna.

–James said stuff, then I asked Lily, now I’m confused and I’m trying to figure it out,” Julianna said, finally speaking. –It’s no big deal.”

–That’s not an answer,” said Marlene.

–It’s a start,” Amanda conceded. –Let’s just go ask Potter what this is about.” The two left Lily and Julianna behind.

–What’s wrong with me?” asked Julianna, looking at Lily.

–I think you know,” she answered. –You don’t need me to tell you . . . Have you not spoken to him all week?”

Julianna nodded her head, looking a little guilty.

–He couldn’t stop asking about you on Sunday. That’s a good sign,” offered Lily, trying to cheer her up.

–Everything’s such a mess,” said Julianna, covering her face. Why did simple things have to feel so complicated?

They sat in silence for a while before Lily spoke up, saying, –Maybe you should go talk to him before any more damage is done.”

They left for the common room, not wanting to be caged alone with Marlene and Amanda when they returned. However, when they got there they saw Amanda was seated in a chair for one with Sirius surrounded by his three friends and Marlene.

The group called them over, but Julianna conveniently said, –I need a cup of tea,” and headed for the kitchen.

–She speaks,” said James, raising his arms in triumph.

Lily shot him a look before reluctantly sitting down as far away from Potter as she could.

–Any luck?” asked Amanda.

–I think we should just let her be,” said Lily.

–We can’t let her be, we have Quidditch,” cried James. –Our first match is against Slytherin a week Saturday!”

–I don’t think I can handle losing to them - not after last year,” said Sirius.

–Yes, well, we all know who’s fault that is,” Lily said, glaring at Potter and Black.

–Is she eating yet?” asked Peter.

–What does that have anything to do with this,” Marlene said. James had filled them in about everything, although he chose to keep his first kiss thing a secret.

–Pete has this theory -” Sirius began.

–It’s not a theory!” interrupted Peter.

–Alright, alright. He’s noticed that her eating habits are connected to her emotions and how she’s doing,” said Sirius.

–That’s absurd,” argued Lily.

–I don’t know, Evans,” said James. –She’s been off all week and has barely touched a thing.”

–Oh please, Potter. It’s much more complicated than that,” Lily countered. Then she stood up and decided to go to bed early.

–She wasn’t the nicest to Gethin and has been ignoring him all week,” Amanda explained.

–Excellent,” said James, perking up. –I always thought he was a bit of a prick.”

–James has a thing for Evans,” Sirius whispered to Amanda and Marlene.

–No!” exclaimed Marlene.

–Like that’ll ever fly,” Amanda commented.

–What do you mean?” asked Sirius. –They’re perfect for each other. They have a lot in common: they’re both fiery and temperamental, they can’t stand each other, Julianna’s one of their best friends who’s also feisty, and they hate each other’s guts.”

–A match made in paradise,” Remus commented dryly.

James was blissfully unaware of the conversation around him. He had gone into a daydream in which Lily didn’t hate him. When he finally snapped out of it, Sirius and Amanda had begun snogging again, and Remus and Peter had started a game of Exploding Snap with Marlene. Not knowing what to do, he decided that a nice snack would be just the ticket.

When he turned the corner into the next corridor after exiting the portrait hole, he saw Julianna looking out the window toward the lake.

James wasn’t sure what he should do. He admitted that it was partially his fault for bringing the topic up in the first place. As such he didn’t think confronting her would be the best idea - she had remained silent all through their Quidditch practices as well. He decided that he would turn around and pretend not to have seen her, but as fate had it, she noticed his movement. He had no choice now but to go up to her.

–Still deciding on peppermint or chamomile?” he asked, remembering she had left to get tea. There was nothing controversial in that.

Julianna pulled a face and said, –You know I don’t like either.”

–Ha ha, got you to speak,” he exclaimed. Then he noticed the look on her face when she returned her gaze to the lake.

Julianna didn’t cry, not in all the years James had known her. Not when she got mud in her mouth from the pies they made, not when she fell climbing into their tree fort, not when her cat died, not for anything. Yet here she was, looking like she was on the verge of tears. James couldn’t walk away now without trying to help her.

–Listen, Jules,” he began. –I was a prat. I shouldn’t have brought it up last week. I won’t say I didn’t mean it because I believe it’s absolutely true, but I didn’t mean to make you so miserable.”

–I’m not miserable, I’m confused,” she said with a small smile. Of course James would blame himself.

–Could have fooled me,” he mumbled.

Julianna sighed before speaking. –You just got me thinking. I’m rubbish at feelings and the more I thought, the more I got confused, and it frightened me.”

–Then don’t think,” he said, pulling her into a hug to comfort her.

–What should I do?” Julianna willingly remained in the embrace and buried her face in his shoulder.

–Do what you do best and go with the flow,” he said, holding her tighter. –Forget what I said and fight back. We need one of our top Chasers in good form next Saturday.”

Julianna laughed. She was grateful for the solid foundation he was providing at the moment.

Giving her one last squeeze, James broke away and pulled something out of his pocket. It was a piece of parchment. He pointed and muttered something, and then black ink began to form on the page.

–Just a little something we came up with,” was all he said by way of explaining. –Now, it looks as though Matt is pacing back and forth in the corridor by the kitchen . . . And by the way, mum says she’s expecting a visit from you and Evans over the holidays. Apparently she was told from a certain neighbour that she’ll be over.”

Noting the look of sheer joy on his face, Julianna warned, –Don’t tell her or she won’t come.” Then she headed off to the kitchen.

--------
End Notes:
Hope you enjoyed this one. I swear the James/Lily thing will come eventually. Please review!
Things Get Icy by Secret Marauder 90
Author's Notes:
Slughorn's Christmas party
--------

Matt had completely forgiven Julianna for her rather distant week, and they had gotten things back to normal. Or at least as normal as Julianna could handle with her current state of handling confusion. She was surprised to hear that Matt had been expecting something of the sort from her - it was just a matter of timing.

Gethin and Lily were still together, but were on much rockier ground than before. He had also forgiven Lily. At least he said he had, but there was still some part of him that hadn’t forgotten how put off he had been at her silence. Things were strained, but Lily was glad they had been able to patch it up a bit.

Sirius and Amanda were becoming unbearable at this point. It had become quite sickening to see them. James had taken to avoiding them entirely when he saw that they were together.

It was now December and many of the students were getting excited about going home. Julianna had spoken to both Lily and James separately about their plans. Lily had agreed to spend the first week with her own family before going to spend the rest of the holidays with the Foschis.

By now, James had enough of Sirius and Amanda. There was only one thing James could think of that would cause Sirius to turn his attention away from her, but he had to act fast.

–I was thinking,” he began one night in their dormitory. –Things have been pretty quiet lately. Filch hasn’t been nearly busy enough to earn the money he makes.”

–I think he rather misses us,” added Remus. –Just the other day I noticed him putting his feet up in his office.”

–We can’t have that,” said Peter, mortified.

–We must do something to restore order,” Sirius announced.

–I think I have just the thing . . .” said James.

* * *

–Maybe it’s because of your last performance at Quidditch,” said Lily.

–But we clobbered Slytherin,” Julianna protested.

–He doesn’t take too kindly to rejections,” Lily tried to warn her.

–But what’s the point?”

–Hmm, now you know what I have to deal with,” said Lily.

Julianna had recently been issued an invitation to Slughorn’s Christmas party. She had never been invited before and was trying to talk her way out of it with Lily.

–Maybe I can try to get Wood to schedule a practice that night,” she mused.

–Can’t. The snow keeps piling up and hasn’t left any room,” Lily argued.

–We’ll be flying at any rate. What does it matter,” Julianna countered.

–Slughorn has been quite insistent that everyone be there. Besides, I think he’ll have Wood’s head if three people miss out.”

–Who else has been invited?”

–I heard Potter and Black pleading with Wood earlier today to set a practice.”

–Oh, well if they’re going . . .”

–Oh, nice. You’ll go with them but not me?” Lily pointed out.

–You know what I mean. If they’re invited it’ll be a riot. If not, we would have died of boredom,” replied Julianna.

–Well, everyone can bring a date and he said it’ll be a frosty-icy theme, whatever that means, so dress accordingly,” Lily said off-handedly.

* * *

The party was scheduled for the last Friday of classes in the evening. Up until that point, many students were attempting to be invited as a date. Those who had been invited by Slughorn himself were trying to act fast to avoid a long line of would-be dates.

–Ask Rebecca,” said Sirius.

–Remus,” was James’ reply.

–What about Lori?”

–Didn’t you call her clingy?”

–Alysia?”

–Taken.”

–Rita.”

–Skeeter? Why would you even joke about that?”

James and Sirius were out in one of the halls after dark. It was the night before Slughorn’s party and James had yet to secure a date. Sirius was trying to make suggestions while they prepared for their prank. Remus and Peter were in an adjacent hall doing the same thing.

–Where’s Filch?” asked James.

Sirius glanced at a map, the same one Julianna had seen James use. –He’s still in the basement, but don’t change the subject. Who else is there?”

–Maybe I’ll just go stag,” James said.

–That joke is only funny for so long before it gets old, Prongsie.”

–How about Dahlia? She’s in Slytherin, but she’s smoking,” commented James.

–And she’s going with Snivelly,” Sirius said, pulling a face.

–I’m surprised his grease doesn’t negatively affect his ability to make potions,” said James.

–No, it helps to keep his hair slicked back so he can see past his great big nose and into the cauldron,” Sirius remarked.

–Grease . . . remind me about that later,” said James thoughtfully.

–Are you guys nearly done chatting so we can hurry finish up,” Remus said, making his way toward them with Peter.

–We’re already done,” Sirius told him. –We were just waiting for you and Wormtail to finish talking and hurry up.”

–Very funny,” Remus said sarcastically.

–This is gonna be a good one,” said Peter, practically bouncing with excitement as they walked back up to the Gryffindor Tower.

* * *

The last day of classes was an exciting one. Those going to Slughorn’s party couldn’t wait until that evening. However, a certain group of four boys were beside themselves with anticipation of the bell to end their final class.

–I would hang back after class for a spell if I were you,” James whispered to Julianna. She had learned long ago that if he ever gave such a warning, it was in your best interest to listen.

Sure enough, at the end of Potions, Julianna hung back with Lily. James and his friends had decided on a front row seat, but still in the safety of the classroom. Once the bell rang, there were many shouts and screams coming from the corridors punctuated by roars of laughter from the four.

The floor in the halls had gone exceptionally smooth and had formed into a non-melting ice. The shouts Lily and Julianna had heard were students caught off guard and slipping unexpectedly down the halls.

Soon, when the initial shock wore off, students were seen happily sliding along down the corridors at their leisure. James and Sirius were whipping out ice skates from their bags to better enjoy the ice. They even saw Professor Dumbledore skating rather magnificently down the halls on their way to lunch.

–Is there anything that man can’t do?” asked Sirius as he watched their headmaster leap over a fallen student.

* * *

The rest of the afternoon was spent doing one of two things. For a majority of the school, they had left their packing in favour of skating. The teachers couldn’t find it in them to get rid of it quite yet, especially with the blizzard-like conditions outside. Only Filch and Mrs Norris were bumbling about and complaining about the declining state of the school.

For the select few students, they were busy preparing for the party. It was one of those rare occasions where they could dress up with a purpose for their peers to see. Everyone was looking forward to it.

Well, almost everyone was. Julianna was at her wit’s end. Both Lily and Amanda were going to wear dresses, and she knew James and Sirius would be wearing dress robes. Amanda, who was Sirius’ date, had even co-ordinated colours with him. Julianna didn’t know what to do.

–It’s a fancy party. You have to dress up. That means a dress,” said Amanda while trying to make it simple. Marlene had mysteriously vanished having not gained an invitation.

–You do have one,” Lily asked surreptitiously. The look on Julianna’s face was a cause for concern.

–Oh, mum made sure of that,” she replied, opening her trunk. Inside it laid no less than five dresses in different styles and colours just waiting to be worn.

Amanda shrieked with glee and joined Lily in taking out the dresses and spreading them out on Julianna’s bed. They even found a pair of matching shoes for each.

–When did your mother think you’d wear these?” asked Lily.

–Why did she think you’d need so many,” Amanda added.

–‘Always be prepared’ is her favourite motto. Of all the things she could have told me about growing up, she had to pick this one,” Julianna explained. Her mother had never told them anything about growing up. Her childhood was a complete mystery to them.

–Well this one’s completely wrong for the theme,” said Amanda, carefully putting away one of the dresses. –And this one’s the wrong colour.”

–What colours did Slughorn mention? Blue, white, and silver? That takes the black one out,” reasoned Lily.

–Oh, I really like that one.” Amanda regretfully put the black dress back in the trunk.

–Which one do you think, Julie?” Lily asked.

–You think I’ll give a satisfactory answer,” Julianna said in disbelief.

–Let’s go with the dark blue one, then,” said Lily. –It’ll match your eyes.”

–It’s sapphire,” Amanda corrected her. –Besides, it kind of goes with what we’ll be wearing.”

While Julianna went and sat down with James in the common room, Amanda and Lily proceeded to pamper themselves in preparing for that evening. They tried fixing their hair different ways to see which hairstyle looked best with their dresses. With that decided, they put on their dresses and had moved on to doing their makeup. Lily only ever put it on for special occasions, so it was lucky for her that Amanda had an entire kit and was prepared to use every last one in order to come up with the right combination to compliment skin tones and everything.

With two hours to go before the party, they had completely finished what they needed to. Now their task was to coerce Julianna into complying. They called to her from the top of the stairs and, rather reluctantly, she dragged herself up.

–You have so much hair, we must do something about it,” said Amanda, holding it up as Lily closed the door.

–The question is whether to pull it to the side or at the back,” said Lily.

–Do I have a say in the matter?” asked Julianna.

–No.”

–Let’s put her in the dress and then decide,” concluded Amanda.

–I can put myself in the dress, thank you,” Julianna said rather rudely. So she put it on knowing that one way or another she would have it on before the night was out.

–There. Was that so difficult?” Lily asked.

–Yes. It’s too flowing. I feel like any minute it’ll fly up.”

–But that’s what makes it so pretty,” Amanda argued.

In the end they decided on pulling her hair off to the side in a loose bun behind her left ear. It took them an hour, though, just to put it up and make sure it was secure for the night. When the makeup came out, however, she started to fight back in protest.

–No. I absolutely draw the line,” she said, wriggling away.

–Well too bad for you there are two of us who disagree with you,” Amanda told her.

–We can either confound you, sedate you, or you can sit still on your own. It’s your choice,” Lily told her.

–If I had my choice I wouldn’t be in this situation at all,” Julianna mumbled to herself. But she chose to sit still and monitor the process.

–We’ll go light, I promise,” Lily tried to console her.

–Besides, it would look strange with too much on - it’s not you,” said Amanda, also trying to soothe her.

By the end of the two hours, all three were ready. Amanda wore a dark, silvery coloured dress which reached the floor and covered her silver strappy heels. She had decided to leave her hair down in its typical ringlets and just pin it back off of her face.

Lily wore a white dress with silver trim and matching white heels. She like the simplicity of it and thought the touch of light silver really brought out the –frosty-icy” theme of Slughorn’s. Since she always wore her hair down, she was especially thankful they had decided to pull her hair off her neck.

Julianna, hair pulled to the side and wearing the deep blue dress, waited up in the dormitory as the other two left in search of their dates. She was of two separate minds. One was to wear a large cloak over top until they reached the party. Another part of her wanted to walk to of there, head held high, and ignore everything. Should she hide or be defiant?

In the end her pride won and she walked out without the cloak. There were many stares, whispers, and pointed fingers, but nobody actually recognized her. Even in the halls she was a stranger. This gave her courage to walk taller and straighter as she continued to march down to the Entrance Hall to meet Matt. She felt safe for now knowing that she wouldn’t be recognized.

Sure enough, Matt was pleasantly surprised when the beautiful girl in the blue dress turned out to be his date. However, he wasn’t as surprised to see the scowl on her face or the manner in which she was marching over to him.

–Amanda?” he asked.

–And Lily,” added Julianna.

–By which methods?”

–Under threat of sedation - I wouldn’t put it past Lily to prepare a potion just in case,” she said, taking his arm as he led her to the party.

–Well they’ve outdone themselves. You look stunning,” he said, giving her a sly grin.

–Maybe I should Stun everyone and get out of this,” Julianna mused quietly.

–Fat chance,” said Matt, holding on tighter to her arm.

–I suppose you look nice too,” she eventually said with a sigh. He just happened to be wearing dress robes of a similar colour to her dress.

–Well don’t sound so convincing,” he joked. Julianna shot him a look that said don’t-mess-with-me.

Music was drifting down the corridor as everyone came to the room. Upon entering, students were met with the sight of falling snow that never quite hit the tops of anyone’s head. Icicles magicked not to melt, much like the skating rink halls, were hung along the walls near the ceiling. Everything was either white, silver, or blue just as Slughorn had promised, but mostly white.

There was fake snow everywhere: in piles on the floor, on the table, around the dishes of food, and stuck to the clothing of the few people who had gotten too close. The windows were given a frosted appearance and to top it all off, there was a real ice sculpture of the Hogwarts crest somewhere in the room.

–Horace, you’ve outdone yourself,” said Dumbledore, going over to him to shake his hand.

–Oh, it’s just a trifle,” Slughorn said in an attempt at humility.

–I feel out of my league,” Matt whispered to Julianna after looking around.

–You’re out of your league? I’m the one whose feet aren’t even on solid ground!”

–Aw, but they’re such pretty feet,” Matt crooned jokingly.

Punching him, Julianna said, –You’re impossible,” laughing in spite of herself.

–Someone cleans up nicely,” someone whispered in her ear.

Seeing it was James, she said, –Don’t look so shocked.”

–Too true - I’d forgotten all those dinner parties.”

–A likely story. No date?” she asked.

–Nope. I’ve come stag,” he said, laughing to himself about his little joke.

–It’s still getting old,” Sirius said, walking up to them with Amanda. –You’re right - you have done a good job.”

–Right?” agreed Amanda.

Julianna rolled her eyes and dragged Matt over to the food. She was starving and couldn’t wait to see what there was. When she went for a second plate, she was confronted by Slughorn.

–I see star Quidditch players have healthy appetites,” Slughorn began. He nodded toward James and Sirius who had happily piled their plates as if there was a food shortage.

–Yes . . . well . . .”

–Have I told you about my new connection with the Holyhead Harpies?” Slughorn went into a rather long and bring discussion about famous people he knew to a fresh-eared student. It had been long enough that Matt had come to see what was taking so long.

–I must introduce you next time,” Slughorn continued, referring to their initial conversation. –Hello . . . who’s this?”

–He’s my date, sir.”

–How do you do? I’d hold on to her, young man. You two make a handsome couple.” Then he gave Matt a wink before walking over to James and Sirius.

–What was -”

–I really don’t know, but thank you for saving me.” Whatever had just happened, she was pleased to see that James and Sirius were now getting the same treatment. It gave her a bit of satisfaction when they tried to talk their way out but couldn’t. But that satisfaction was nothing compared to Lily’s.

–Slughorn’s an awful drone. They’ll be there for the next ten minutes,” she said gleefully.

She and Gethin were quite glad of Matt and Julianna’s company. There had been many more awkward silences between them so far that night. Neither of them knew what to do to fix it. Lily was too proud to make the first move, while Gethin thought of so many possible solutions he was having a hard time deciding on one.

–Everyone for more punch?” asked Matt, suddenly standing up.

–I’ll come with you,” Gethin told him.

–Man its cold here, and I’m not talking about the decorations,” said Julianna after they’d left.

–He doesn’t seem to want to discuss anything,” said Lily, avoiding eye contact.

–Mm-hmm.”

–Things just seemed to have fizzled out, but I think he still wants to keep things going.”

–I’d do something soon before it gets too far,” Julianna hissed as they returned with drinks for everyone.

–Care to dance?” Matt asked Julianna.

–But I -”

–Don’t you think by now I’ve learned that there’s more to you than meets the eye,” Matt said over top.

–Fine.” Julianna took his hand and was led to the dance floor leaving Lily by herself with Gethin.

–We shouldn’t be too long, I don’t think Lily wants to be alone with him,” she said, putting her hand on his shoulder.

–That’s what I wanted to talk to you about before we leave for the break,” he explained. He took her hand in one of his and put his other to her waist as they began to dance.

–Well?” asked Julianna expectantly.

–Let me guess, you learned to dance from you grandparents.”

–You know what I meant . . . but yes, I did.”

–He really likes Lily.”

–I can tell.”

–But she doesn’t return his feelings?”

–No.”

–He thought as much. He seems pretty cut up about it.”

–What do you expect me to do?”

–If there’s nothing in it for her, then she needs to break it off before it gets worse.”

–I still don’t -”

–She’s staying with you? Over the holidays? Talk to her. Tell her she needs to end it. I know your theory about being rubbish at feelings, but try and find a way to let her know. Hell, ask James if you’re so unsure about it. But he needs some kind of closure - she owes him that much.”

They continued to dance for quite a while longer. While Julianna hated to admit it, she rather enjoyed dancing and was good at it thanks to her grandparents. And Matt was a good dancing partner too.

Gethin and Lily were quiet as the two danced, each looking off in different directions. Lily watched Matt and Julianna dance and talk somewhat jealously. It would never be like that with Gethin.

He, meanwhile, was watching James’ attempts to draw Sirius’ attention away from Amanda. He had begun to make balls out of the fake snow and was chucking them at Sirius. When they broke apart upon contact, most of it remained stuck to Sirius’ dress robes. But that didn’t work, so he moved to make the fake snow melt and transfigure into water which was now soaking into Sirius’ robes.

By now Sirius was purposely ignoring James. That is until the wet patches on his robes went ice cold and froze to his skin. James ducked away before Sirius could lash out. Success!

If they were hoping to be banned from further Slug Club meetings, they were sorely mistaken. Slughorn had taken a liking to their antics, telling them, –Won’t have no for an answer, boys. You must simply attend all of our future gatherings. No - I insist.”

It was now getting late into the evening and most couples had taken to the dance floor including Gethin and Lily. Even James seemed to have found someone to dance with.

Lily was glad nobody else was talking. It made any of Gethin’s attempts to engage in a conversation with her seem out of place. She could at least dance in peace. That is until she noticed Potter giving her winks when both of their dates were turned the other way. Lily tried to avoid him, but Gethin kept unknowingly turning her to face him.

And I have to spend part of my holidays next to that? she said to herself. At least I’m not obligated to see him.

I get to have her to look forward to, thought James as he winked at her again. Christmas has come early!

He’s way out of his league, Sirius thought as he danced with Amanda. No way she’ll go out with someone like him.

I can’t believe it, thought Amanda. Of all the guys I could be with right now, I’m with Sirius Black.

A surprise, Gethin thought, that’s what Lily needs to cheer her up. Something she’ll end up loving me for.

Everyone seems way too quiet, thought Julianna. I guess I should save Lily from Gethin before I get the look.

I bet this night’ll be over soon, thought Matt as he held Julianna closer. She won’t leave her friend hanging for much longer.

Matt whispered something in Julianna’s ear. She nodded and he led her out to the corridor.

Whatever was said or done, Lily had no idea, but it was only a few moments before they returned and Julianna beckoned to her that she was ready to leave. Thankful that the night was finally over, Lily said goodnight to Gethin as gracefully as she could before she left.

--------
End Notes:
I fell like we spent forever in September and October, but I've finally got things moving along. Next chapter (a really long one) is Christmas and New Years, and more time with James than Lily would like. Then we move into Easter after that. Please review!
A Happy Holiday by Secret Marauder 90
Author's Notes:
Lily spends the holiday with Julianna and is forced to attend the Potters' New Year's party. How will she deal with an evening with James in his own house?
--------

–They haven’t got a chance this year - not with the way their Keeper’s been doing,” said James.

–I’m telling you, as long as their Beaters and Chasers do their job and keep the Quaffle away, he won’t have to worry,” Julianna rebuffed, brandishing a peeler at him.

They were both in the Potter’s kitchen helping James’ mum cook the Christmas dinner the two families were having that night. As it was Christmas Eve, there was a lot to do to prepare for tomorrow in addition to the cooking. Mrs Potter loved to cook, that’s why they never bothered with a house elf, but she was glad to have the extra hands to help peel and cut the carrots and potatoes.

James and Julianna continued to discuss Quidditch while they did the carrots and potatoes. At some point during this time the doorbell rang. They heard Mr Potter go get it, everyone assuming it was more carollers. But when Mr Potter came into the kitchen, it was with Sirius following behind him.

–James said you wouldn’t be arriving for another three days,” said Mrs Potter as she rushed to get his things.

–Not that we aren’t pleased to see you,” Mr Potter added hastily.

–I’m sorry, I didn’t know what to do and I had nowhere else to go,” Sirius began. He looked a little forlorn as he explained, –It was my mother - you know what she’s like. Well she thought it was time to tell me again what a disappointment to the family I am. We rowed, and I couldn’t take it any longer so I packed my things and left.”

–It’s about time,” said James practically. –You can stay with us.”

Sirius looked hopefully at James’ parents. His mum then said with a smile, –Of course you can, dear.”

–We’ve kept that room across from James just for you when you come visit him. It’s about time you make it your own,” Mr Potter replied.

–You’ll make a smashing neighbour,” said Julianna cheerfully. –Here, pull up a chair and join us. I’m sure there’s an extra peeler somewhere.”

And just like that, Sirius was welcomed in. At supper that evening, he felt like one of the family. When the topic came up about his departure, Sirius could barely believe it was the same day. But he went into more detail, now relieved he had a place to stay.

–What did Orion have to say about you leaving? Or did he let Walburga do all the talking as usual?” asked Julianna’s mother.

–No, he didn’t say much. But how would you know?” Sirius asked, confused.

–Who are we talking about?”

–Are those your parents’ names?”

–How do you know their names?”

–Have you met the Blacks before?”

Questions were being asked at random. In the end, they were more interested in the answers Mrs Foschi had to give. Once the questioning had stopped, everyone looked at her expectantly.

–Well, I never thought I’d have to say this again . . . There’s a reason you guys have never heard me talk about my childhood or met my parents,” she began. Her family in particular were paying close attention.

–What are you trying to say, mum?” asked Joe, Julianna’s eldest brother.

–That I am Sirius’ aunt.”

–What?!”

–You heard me correctly. I am his father’s younger sister. We grew up together, but while at Hogwarts I started dating a fellow Gryffindor who was a Muggle-born - your father. Well, naturally they didn’t approve. It was bad enough when I was sorted into Gryffindor. Anyway, when I announced our engagement I was turned out. I expect that I was blasted off that ridiculous tree too. They haven’t contacted me, and by the sounds of it even mention me, since I left.”

–Why haven’t you told us this before?” Troy asked.

–It didn’t seem necessary,” Mrs Foschi answered with a shrug.

–Not even to me?” asked Sirius.

–If I thought you needed somewhere to go, our home would have been open, but the Potters have been kind and you seemed happy here with them.”

–So we have a cousin here?” asked Will. This was a lot to process.

–I’m afraid you have many more than you think,” Sirius answered. –We Blacks have kept with only pure bloods so now we’re all related somehow. Disgusting, really.”

–Well, then, now you get to spend some time with some decent family members for a change,” Julianna said brightly. –Now that I come to think of it, we do look a little similar.”

–Yeah, smoking hot,” said Sirius with relish. He looked at his new-found aunt and asked, –What should I call you?”

–Technically my name is Ursa,” she answered.

–Well there you are. If I’d know your name it would’ve been a dead giveaway we’re related,” Sirius remarked matter-of-factly.

–Greg thought it was Ursella for the longest time, but now he just calls me Ella.”

–Aunt Ella . . . Aunt Ursa . . . Auntie Ursie . . . I’ll think of something,” Sirius decided.

–Well I think they should be properly acquainted now,” James said. –Sirius, meet your aunt and her family. Family, meet your cousin-slash-nephew, Sirius.”

–Jolly good to meet you,” Joe joked, shaking Sirius’ hand.

–What’re you shaking his hand for?” cried Will. –He’s family, and you know what we do when we meet our family.” Then the Foschi children rushed to Sirius and buried him in a pile on the ground.

–We’re terribly sorry about this,” Mrs Foschi said apologetically to James’ parents and looking at the pile on the floor.

–Don’t be. We’re glad he has someone he can be proud of in his immediate family,” Mrs Potter replied.

For the rest of the evening, the two families continued their celebrating, making Sirius more welcome than he had ever felt with his own family.

* * *

–So you and Black are related,” Lily asked in disbelief. Julianna had filled her in when she had arrived a few days after this revelation. Hardly an hour had gone by when she wasn’t with James and Sirius, but now that Lily was here Julianna opted out.

–I know, right?” she replied.

Lily was staying with Julianna in her room on the spare bed there. While the guest room was available, it had been deemed the best idea to keep them together. She was pleased by this decision having heard of Julianna’s brothers’ reputation.

Sitting on her bed, Lily looked around curiously at Julianna’s bedroom. It was quite large for it to comfortably fit two beds, a wardrobe, a dressing table, a bookshelf, a small fireplace, and two armchairs by the fire. Julianna had decided on nice, wooden furniture and cream-coloured walls which made everything look lighter.

–Everything is cream and . . . milk chocolate,” said Lily, unsure how else to describe the colours.

–My mum suggested it so I could change the other colours as the mood strikes me,” Julianna explained. –That’s why the bed sheets are red. I also have blue, green, and purple.”

–You do like to have choices,” Lily reflected.

After a short pause, Julianna said, –We need to talk, and I think you know what it’s about.”

–I know,” said Lily, looking guilty and bracing herself.

–During Slughorn’s party, Matt noticed how uninterested you seemed in Gethin. The funny thing is that he doesn’t feel as lukewarm as you do.”

–It’s a mess, isn’t it.” She said it as a statement, not a question.

–What are you going to do about it?”

–I don’t know,” said Lily, throwing up her arms. –I’m miserable, so I should break it off, right? Well then that could hurt his feelings causing him to not want to talk to me and make our classes together very awkward.”

–Lily, if you didn’t want to break anyone’s heart, you should have become a nun.”

–But I don’t want to be alone forever.”

–Then you’ll have to break some hearts, or -”

–Or you could do it for me . . .”

–Or I could do nothing of the sort, you could take this as a learning experience, and wait for Mr Right.”

–Not everyone finds Mr Right first thing like you, Julie.”

–First of all, Matt it not Mr Right. And second, I’ve dated several people before and happily broke it off. Not to mention we’re still friends, all of them.”

–Mm-hmm,” said Lily, unconvinced.

–Well, Matt thinks you should drop him, and he says the sooner the better before it gets too serious.”

–I’ll figure it out sooner or later,” Lily said, brushing off the subject for later. –In the meantime, what do we have planned?”

–Well, I know you love baking, so we could help Mrs Potter -”

–I’m not going over there,” Lily said with finality. This was supposed to be a holiday, not a time of terror.

–We’ll have to eventually because we’ve been invited to spend New Year’s Eve with them. Our families always do, and this year you’ve been invited.”

–But I didn’t know, and I wouldn’t have accepted even if I did.”

–Since it would be rude not to go when you’re already here, the matter is settled. Anyway, she needs some baking help, not our presence. We can do it here and bring it over that night,” replied Julianna, trying to compromise.

Rather begrudgingly Lily accepted. She wouldn’t be rude unnecessarily to someone she’d never met, even if they were related to Potter. As long as she could stretch their inevitable encounter, she supposed she would suffer through baking for them. And really, it would only be for one night.

–Cheer up, we don’t have to hand over absolutely everything,” said Julianna. –I’m sure my brothers would appreciate eating them early just as much as they would on that night.”

And they were. The two baked so much that it seemed their meals comprised of mainly cookies and squares. Julianna’s brothers had polished off the first batch of gingerbread becoming lethargic and causing them to bake another batch. Lily had enjoyed the baking so much that Gethin had been pushed out of her mind again as well as cause her to forget the reason they were baking in the first place. It wasn’t until the afternoon of New Year’s Eve that it dawned on her.

–Wait a minute, we have to go to that party at Potter’s house tonight, don’t we,” said Lily. She and Julianna were putting the leftover baking in tins after arranging what they would be bringing nicely on some platters.

–That’s why we’re doing this,” said Julianna. –I don’t think you should call him ‘Potter’ either - there are three of them that live there.”

–Which is why his parents are Mister and Misses, and he gets nothing.”

–Yeah, but his mum will think something’s up. You don’t know her like I do. She’ll interpret your loathing as completely the opposite.”

–But why? That doesn’t make any sense.”

–Because that’s how she used to treat Jay’s dad and now they’re happily married.”

–Like I’d ever marry Potter and have kids with him. The thought is sickening enough,” said Lily, shuddering in disgust. Suffering through one night near him was bad enough, she couldn’t imagine an entire lifetime with him.

–Well for tonight, ‘James’ will have to do. And while we’re on the subject, what’ll you be wearing?”

–Can’t I just wear this? We’re just going next door,” Lily asked, looking down at her attire.

–Even I think that’s a bad idea. They tend to have a sort of before party where they invite people over for dinner, dessert, tea or coffee, and a little mingling. Eventually they all leave to the place they’ll each be spending to ring in the New Year.”

–I still don’t -”

–There’ll be a dinner, Lil, with guests. Even I know I have to wear a dress.”

–Like Slughorn’s party, then,” Lily said to confirm.

–Exactly.” Finally Lily understood.

–Well then it’s a good thing mum bought me a new dress for Christmas.”

They had finished putting the baking in the tins by now. The rest of the afternoon was theirs until the Potters’ party. It was during this time that Julianna brought up the Gethin problem again. Short of sending him an owl, though, Lily couldn’t see a way out. They talked the subject to death before realizing that time was getting away from them and the party was fast approaching.

–So which one should I wear?” Julianna asked, opening her wardrobe to reveal dresses.

–You have more?” Lily couldn’t believe it.

–Mum wanted a girl so she could dress her up. Since I’m all she had in that department, that burden is mine. She has a special place in her heart for dresses, I think. The Potters host several of these types of party, so at least she doesn’t have to be worried about a Doxy infestation here.”

Getting ready didn’t take nearly as long without Amanda fussing about. With matters such as this, everything had to be just right with her and nothing but would suffice. Appearance meant a lot, and perfection was crucial to Amanda.

Lily accompanied the Foschis over to the neighbour’s. It was a strange feeling for her because while she knew she was walking straight into the enemy’s lair, there was still a bit of intrigue. What was his home like? What were his parents like? How could any parent love a child who is that arrogant? Did they even know? Would she have to be the one to tell them? What was she getting herself into?

–Cheer up,” said Joe. –You look like death.”

Just like with Julianna, Joe was her favourite. She also knew that this was not a direct insult but something to help. She smiled at his comment.

–Hello family!” It was Sirius who opened the door. He was wearing deep red dress robes and was grinning from ear to ear.

–Now is not the time for a pile up,” warned Mr Foschi, seeing that his children were thinking about it.

–Then he’ll have to settle for a big ol’ kiss,” said Julianna and she planted a wet one on his cheek.

–Aw, come on, Jewel. Not lipstick?”

–Let them in, Padfoot. It’s freezing out,” said James, appearing behind Sirius’ shoulder.

–They’re family, they’ll get over it.”

–Don’t push you luck,” said Troy through chattering teeth.

–Come in Mr and Mrs F. Sirius has lost his senses because his girlfriend said she’d be able to make it out for tonight,” James explained.

–Ooh, Amanda’s coming?” Lily asked excitedly. She’d forgotten who she was talking to and forgot to be ruder.

–Yeah,” James answered her looking confused, but smiling nonetheless. –Mum’s in the kitchen, you can take the dessert to her there.”

–Please don’t embarrass us tonight,” said Julianna after her brothers and parents had moved to the kitchen.

–Who?” Lily asked. They had already spoken about her ‘Potter’ thing and had to admit she was doing brilliantly at the moment.

–Sirius, Amanda and their whale,” replied James. –No sucky face,” he told Sirius, his finger pointed at him.

Sirius pointed at himself trying to give an innocent ‘Who, me?’ look.

–Feigning innocence isn’t flattering, Black,” Lily told him.

–Yeah, but it’s funny,” commented James.

–I have been informed that this is your house and I am a guest, so I have agreed that we shall be civil with each other for tonight. Agreed?” Lily held out her hand and waited for James to shake it.

–Well I can try, but I’m not making any promises,” said James, taking her hand.

–How formal of you. Would you like that in writing,” said Julianna sarcastically.

–Shall we get drinks, milady?” Sirius asked Julianna pompously and offering her his arm.

–Why yes, dear sir. Lead the way,” she answered, adopting his snobbish tone.

James noticed the look on Lily’s face, daring him, but instead he said, –Do you want to join them?”

Lily was about to refuse in a rather rude way, but remembered Julianna. Taking his arm as well, she sighed, –Why not.”

It was a rather awkward walk to the drinks. She was trying to keep her distance from him, but such an intimate embrace made that difficult. They were also silent as neither of them wanted to break their agreement, but didn’t know what to say without being rude or arrogant.

While drinking some pumpkin juice, the four nibbled on appetizers while people started to arrive. They knew who some of the people were, but weren’t well acquainted with them. However, there were two people whom the four did know, one being Amanda and the other being Matt.

–You never told me you were coming,” Julianna told him, shoving him lightly.

In response, James said, –Amanda was coming and that took care of Sirius. I was pretty sure . . . Lily . . . didn’t want Gethin, which logically meant that Jules had to have Matt here. I figured she could suffer with me for the night. Am I right?”

–Bugger,” said Julianna, shoving Matt again. –You still could have told me.”

–Your surprised expressions are always so amusing, I couldn’t resist,” Matt shrugged.

–Impossible,” she sighed, but she was pleased to have his company anyway.

After supper, they all went to the kitchen, the drawing room being room crowded. Sirius and Amanda were going to great lengths not to begin snogging. Matt and Julianna were happily eating some of the cookies and squares she and Lily had made. James’ and Lily’s silence was one of a different kind. They were still trying to be civil, but somehow that seemed to equate with silence.

–There you are,” said Mrs Potter. –We’ve been looking for you. Everyone loves the baking, but it’s going quickly. Did you girls happen to have extra, and would you mind bringing it over? No, we don’t need too much. I expect some people will be leaving soon, but we can’t let them leave on an empty stomach!”

–Mum, we just had dinner. I don’t think anyone’s hungry.”

–Sure thing Mrs Potter. Lily and I will be right back,” replied Julianna.

–You are dears,” said Mrs Potter in thanks.

–Need any help?” Matt offered.

–They’re in tins, but we may need help with the doors,” Julianna answered.

–Then I’ll come with you three,” James said. Lily stiffened, but bit her tongue and said nothing.

It was a lucky thing that all four had gone because the tins didn’t want to stack nicely which meant they each had to carry something.

–So Lily, you baked all this,” James said, taking a stab at civilized conversation on their return trip.

–Plus whatever Julianna’s family ate already. And I had her help with the lot,” replied Lily. There, she could be civil if she wanted to.

–They’re surprisingly good,” he said honestly.

–Meaning . . .”

–Meaning that I didn’t know you could bake so well - mum prefers to cook,” he said smoothly. He didn’t want to give her the wrong impression. They were doing too well at being civil, he didn’t want to break that now.

–Oh, for the love of . . .” Julianna was the first one inside the Potter’s kitchen and was therefore the first to catch sight of Sirius and Amanda at it again.

–Whale sighting,” called James before he could catch himself.

–Lily, how about we go replenish the platters,” Julianna said hastily, half pushing her back out the kitchen door before she could reply.

When they returned, Lily was breathing heavily but was still in control. James just looked guilty and apologetic for his little slip. Julianna looked at Matt who matched her we-need-to-fix-this look. Without being able to converse out loud, though, any planning was paused. But they had to act quickly or there would be no way Lily would last until midnight.

–Why don’t we join the others in the drawing room? There should be enough room for us by now,” Matt said. It was the first thing he could think of.

They all went into the drawing room where someone had turned on the radio in an attempt to begin dancing. There were a few who had risen to the challenge, laughing at the failed attempts.

–You must see our daughter do it, she’s a natural,” a man said.

–Uh-oh,” said Julianna. It was her father speaking.

–There she is. Sweet pea, come over here. I want you to show the Longbottoms how to waltz. They said they’re just dying to learn.” He was beckoning her over with a proud look on his face.

–If I go down, you’re going down with me,” she whispered to her friends before her father dragged her away.

–Just the basics for now, Anna,” Mr Foschi told his daughter, –don’t want to confuse them.”

–Daddy, nobody waltzes anymore,” she tried to tell him.

–Nonsense.”

–Well then why don’t we get everyone up and learn.” She eyed her friends and was satisfied at their looks of terror.

–Don’t worry, it’ll be easy.” So Mr Foschi began to explain the steps while he and Julianna demonstrated. Of course his parents, her grandparents, had been sure to teach all the children how to dance without embarrassing themselves.

–You never know when you’ll be asked to waltz,” Julianna’s nonno had told them and looking very serious about the matter.

They showed the group an expertly danced waltz to show what the end product was like. Once Mr Foschi was satisfied with Julianna’s performance, he let everyone try at a slower tempo, now using recordings of various waltzes. She was off the hook and went back over to Matt.

–Not a word,” she told him before they began dancing.

Lily was a bit skeptical. Last time she had danced it had been with Gethin - a whole other can of worms. Now she was faced with the prospect of Potter as a dance partner. No, it was James - James was her partner. She still couldn’t forget his winks at their last party.

–Have you ever waltzed before?” asked James.

Lily shook her head.

–Don’t worry - I have and it isn’t terribly difficult unless you have two left feet.”

–Like Sirius?” she asked, glancing toward him and Amanda.

–I think he has four left feet,” remarked James. He offered her his hand and they awkwardly tried to waltz. James was a good as he said because he had learnt from Julianna when their grandparents were visiting. Lily, on the other hand, kept her head down to watch her feet and make sure they were doing the right thing. Conveniently, it also meant that she didn’t have to look Potter in the eye.

–Just feel what you’re doing, don’t look or think about it,” he offered.

–If I don’t look, Pott - I mean, James - then how do you expect me to catch my mistakes?” She felt rather vulnerable at the moment being unable to grasp the waltz, especially while her partner was so good and happened to be a git.

–Okay, close your eyes . . . don’t worry, I’m not going to do anything. Look, Jules is next to us, she can vouch for you - now close them . . . right, follow my lead, but don’t peek.”

James guided her around the room with everyone else. It wasn’t perfect, but it was much better than their earlier failed attempts.

The waltz practice continued into the night. When the guests had started to get the hang of it, they tried swapping partners. Eventually, one by one, the guests took their leave as usual, and the Potters, Foschis, and a few friends were left.

James wanted to do a song with Julianna to show off how good they were, so Lily and Matt partnered for a song. She was a little intimidated by him sometimes because he could be so quiet, but he was good-natured and danced well.

–They’re quite good, aren’t they,” noted Matt.

–I think he’s rather good at showing off,” she said. Hopefully he wouldn’t tell Julianna about it.

When that song had ended, she was taken by Sirius. Julianna, deciding to be funny, took Amanda. As Mrs Potter and Mrs Foschi were already occupied with Joe and Will, James took Julianna’s lead and took Matt.

As the night wore on, everyone was tired from dancing and went to do their own thing. The parents talked as they were usually wont to do. Joe had sat down with his girlfriend, Katherine, in the corner where they watched Will play wizard’s chess with Troy. The remaining six sat around in silence, not doing anything.

–Well I enjoyed that,” Sirius stated. –We have to get Slughorn to arrange something like that. I’d love to see Snivelly’s attempts to be graceful.”

James wisely didn’t comment. He could see Lily daring him to, but he resisted to urge. Instead, he replied, –It’s a thought.”

–Oh yes,” Amanda said with wonder. –It would be so romantic. Ooh, he could do it on Valentine’s Day. It can’t be one of those masquerades, they’re so overdone right now - though I would like to go to one. No, he could make it a black and while ball where you can only wear black or white and only do ballroom dancing. And we could have Julianna teach us beforehand!”

At this last comment, Julianna choked on her spiced pumpkin juice and started coughing. Matt thumped her back as she tried shaking her head vigorously, trying to indicate she didn’t agree.

Julianna excused herself to the kitchen for a glass of water. When she had recovered, she noticed Mrs Potter filling a platter with a few more baked goods.

–Would you like any help with that?” she offered.

–Sure . . . You girls did a fine job on the cookies.”

–Thank Lily for that, she’s the baker. I prefer to cook, but you knew that.”

–She seems nice, Lily.”

–She is.”

–Same with Matt. Have you been together long?”

–How did -” Julianna started.

–I’m a mother, Julianna, and I’ve known you since you were in diapers with James. Just like I can tell how James in infatuated with Lily.”

–Well that much is obvious to everyone but her.”

–And that she’ll come around to him.”

–No offense, but she thinks your son is a waste of space.”

–Mm . . . Well, be that as it may, I know that Matt thinks you’re pretty special. So, how long?”

–Someone’s on a mission,” joked Julianna. –Well if you must know, we met because of Quidditch - he’s the Keeper for Ravenclaw. He asked me out in third year, but nothing really happened. Then this year on the train, he tracked me down, I’m sure of it, and dared me into a date. We’ve been together ever since then.”

–Four months is a long time,” noted Mrs Potter.

–Not really.”

–He thinks highly of you,” Mrs Potter pushed on.

–Both Jay and Lily seem to think I have total respect and acceptance of him.” Maybe an adult perspective could shed some light on her confusion.

–Do you?”

–I don’t know, I suppose I do. It’s not hard.”

–That’s saying a lot,” Mrs Potter said seriously. She didn’t have any daughters of her own, but Julianna was always special to her.

–That’s what they said,” mumbled Julianna.

–And?”

–And what?”

–How deep is it?”

–I’m only fifteen!”

–And after this year, you’re two years away from leaving Hogwarts.”

–But it’s only been four months!”

–Were they a waste?”

–No, but -”

–Were they awkward?”

–No, but -”

–Did you nauseate people?”

–No, but -”

–Then what’s the problem? Come on, by now you will have already considered him as more than a boyfriend. All girls look at boys and consider whether or not they’re husband material. Yes, Julianna, even you, even if you won’t admit it.

–You accept all of who he is and respect him in spite of it. You enjoy his company and expect nothing in return.”

–You sound like Jay,” commented Julianna.

Ignoring that comment, Mrs Potter continued, –I don’t mean to be so serious, but with times like these I would appreciate what you have and make the most of it.”

–I really do.”

–Then think about the very real possibility of a future with that boy. He may be worth it in the end,” Mrs Potter concluded. The platter had been filled a while ago, so she picked it up and left Julianna in the kitchen with her empty glass of water.

Julianna remained rooted to the spot thinking. A short while later, Matt came in wondering if she was alright.

–Don’t worry,” he said with a grin, –I think we’ve persuaded Amanda out of you giving dance lessons . . . Are you sure you’re alright?”

Nodding, Julianna said, –People just like having deep conversations.”

–You’re sure?”

–Positive.”

Matt reached for her hands and said, –Remember that if you need to talk -”

–People will listen. I know, I’m just -”

–Rubbish at feelings.”

–We’re not a waste of time, are we?” Julianna asked suddenly, holding on to Matt’s hands a little more.

–I don’t think so.”

–We’re not awkward or nauseate people, right?”

–No, but I don’t -”

–And we respect each other, right?”

–Julianna. If I haven’t been clear with you, then know that I care a lot about you. You’ve always been very special to me and I don’t think you’ll be able to change that.” He had now wrapped her in a hug.

–I know,” she said, burying her face into his shoulder and holding on tighter.

–Then what’s this about?”

–I’m only fifteen!”

–And I’m only sixteen.”

–Well that’s just it - how can we be so sure about things when we’re so young?”

–Is that what’s bothering you? Because I’m just as confused as you are.”

–So do the two confusions cancel each other out?”

Matt was silent as the two stood there in their embrace. It was several minutes before he decided on what to say, and he never felt so sure and afraid at the same time.

–I don’t know what girls are like, but guys think about girls all the time. We look at them, we compare them, we fight over them, we brag about them. A lot of what we do is motivated by that and it’s no different with me.”

Julianna had turned to look at him, finding his eyes and the serious look he was giving her in return.

–I think about girls, compare them and everything. But do you know what . . . I like the one I have. She’s the one I always think about and look for. I’m always comparing her to others and find faults in them, not her. I like that my girl doesn’t just let me win, but fights back. I love how loyal to her best friend she is. I love how she loves a good time and to have fun. I don’t care that she’s competitive or plays Quidditch - it means I have someone to compete against. I don’t care that she doesn’t like dresses or doesn’t care to be girly - it means she isn’t vain.”

Matt cupped her face gently with one hand as he continued, –But I think that despite all that, she’s pretty anyway with all her passion. She lets who she is shine through and into her personality and that is what makes her beautiful to me.”

Julianna touched the hand on her cheek as she responded, –And I like how you think something as clear as that is confusing.”

Before Matt could respond, Julianna gave him a quick kiss, then motioned they should join the others.

–Do you know yet?” a voice asked as they neared the room.

–No, we want it to be a surprise,” answered Mr Foschi. Everyone had sat down together and were looking at him and Mrs Foschi.

–I think it’ll be another boy seeing as how we have so many,” she said, –but I’m hoping for another little girl.”

–There’s nothing little or girly about the one you have, mum,” commented Julianna.

–Here’s hoping for better luck this time,” said Amanda. Baby girls were just her thing.

–Imagine a tiny Julianna we could dress up,” Sirius replied fondly. –I always wanted a baby sister, but I’ll settle for a cousin.”

–Then let’s pray for another boy because you’re altogether too mushy about this,” said Julianna. She and Matt pulled over a couple of chairs and joined the group.

–You at least have a few names picked out,” said Mr Potter. –We kept fighting over names. It wasn’t until James was already born that we agreed and it was one neither of us was thinking of.”

–When are you due?” asked Katherine.

Julianna looked at her. Joe had been going out with her for a while now - about a year and a half. At first she didn’t like her for taking away Joe. With all the time the two spent together, Julianna had felt brushed to the side. Once she found out that they both supported the same Quidditch team, though, Julianna warmed up to her.

Katherine seemed to be a lot like Julianna as it turned out, but more mature. The word ‘elegant’ often came to mind when Julianna looked at her. She was a little shorter than Julianna and her hair was a lighter shade of brown than Julianna’s, but she cooked well like Julianna despite not liking to, she enjoyed Quidditch and played Keeper before Wood, and her sense of fun and adventure was evident in going out with Joe. Unlike Julianna, though, she was able to maintain a level of grace and avoid her rowdiness.

Katherine was so often with Joe that she seemed like one of the family, but Julianna thought something looked funny when Katherine had asked the due date.

–Mid-May,” Mrs Foschi told them.

–How lovely,” was all Katherine said in return.

–Julianna, would you mind helping me in the kitchen,” Mrs Potter said.

When they arrived in the kitchen, Mrs Potter started pulling out a bunch of bowls. –James just loves ice cream so much that I thought we could make sundaes,” she told Julianna. –A little unconventional, but I think it’ll be fun.”

–What can I do to help?” asked Julianna.

–Well first you can stop teasing poor Matthew.”

–What do you mean? I don’t tease him!”

–Honey, you came out of this kitchen looking quite content, but he didn’t. You heard what you wanted, but I don’t think he did. Stop teasing him and do something either way.”

–Is that why you wanted me to help - so you could tell me to get a move on?” By now Julianna was getting sick of these heart-to-heart moments. Everyone was too interfering and had way too much opinion for her liking.

–Don’t get mad at me. With your parents so preoccupied at the moment, I thought you could use a little parental guidance. Obviously I was wrong,” Mrs Potter said, slightly offended.

She continued to get things ready for the sundaes while Julianna silently helped. She had always felt as though Julianna was like one of her own and couldn’t help felling motherly. Now she could sympathize with Ella Foschi when she spoke of their mother-daughter fights.

–Need any help, mum?” James asked as he poked his head around the corner. He could feel the tension in the air immediately and wished he hadn’t just offered his help.

–Yes - knock some sense into this one,” said Mrs Potter. Then she picked up a tray of things and marched out of the room.

–Need another set of hands?” asked Lily cheerfully. She didn’t notice the scowl on Julianna’s face until after noting James looking surreptitiously in her direction.

–Jules, what was mum talking about?” James asked cautiously as the three sat down.

–Nothing.”

–Don’t be silly,” said Lily, taking control of the situation. –Just tell us so we don’t have to force it out of you.”

Eventually Julianna said how Mrs Potter cornered her in the kitchen the first time, then about her conversation with Matt, and now how unreasonable Mrs Potter’s accusations just now were.

–What’s unreasonable is how closed-minded you are,” said James once he was sure Julianna was done. –I don’t think you realize how fond mum is of you and that she was just trying to help.”

–He’s right, Julie,” said Lily, the comment earning her a strange look from James that she didn’t notice. –Look at it logically for a moment. She’s told you what we’ve been telling you all along, only she’s taken it a step further and told you what she’s noticed from her experience - her experience. Mrs Potter knows and offered guidance, so don’t go biting her head off.”

–You told Matt and he kind of pours his heart out, but all you can do is joke around. You think that’s fair? Don’t blame mum for something you actually did - or what you didn’t do,” added James.

–That’s rich coming from one person who doesn’t know how to get out of an unsatisfying relationship, and another who doesn’t know how to get into one,” Julianna replied with bite.

–Julianna, what’s wrong?” Lily asked, now feeling hurt. –We’re only trying to help.”

–Honestly, Jules, I don’t know why we bother sometimes. If you don’t like him as much as is seems, then just break things off.” James was getting sick of how moody Julianna had become recently and how trying to help only made things worse for everybody. Now she was close to making Lily cry which made him upset.

–What do you mean I don’t like him? I can’t stop thinking about the guy, and when I do it makes me sad and confused! I can’t turn around without waiting to see if he’s right there behind me, I’m guarding my actions now just to be sure he won’t drop me, I watch what I say so I don’t hurt him, I can’t wait to be back at Hogwarts just to know that he’s nearby, and you have the nerve to tell me I don’t like him? And I - I . . .”

Julianna wasn’t aware of when she started yelling, but she was thankful that the house was large and that the drawing room was on the other side of the house. Her breathing had become heavy and now her heart was racing. She had almost said something that she promised herself wouldn’t happen, and it was at that point that she noticed Matt standing in the doorway. When he got there, she had no idea, but the look on his face told her he had heard enough.

James and Lily weren’t sure why Julianna had paused and were waiting for the loud stream of words to begin again. When they saw her gaze was fixed somewhere behind them, they turned to find the subject of Julianna’s rant standing there. So they stood up and left the kitchen, passing Matt as he advanced toward Julianna.

–What do you think?” whispered James after they’d left.

–Shh - I’m trying to listen,” she said, lightly hitting his arm to be quiet.

–Move over,” he said to her, coming close so they could listen. If they were careful, they might be able to glance around the corner and be able to see too.

Julianna didn’t know when she had stood up, but she was now standing face to face with Matt. How much had he heard? Did he really mean what he said earlier? Did he want to take it back after hearing what she had to say about him? Why wasn’t he speaking? She needed him to say something. She began to wish she hadn’t said all that she had. Great, now he was going to get rid of her. Surely he would have said something by now.

Matt wasn’t sure how to respond. He knew how he felt about Julianna. Heck, he had even told her so, but she seemed to joke away the situation. He was beginning to think that she didn’t like him as much as he liked her. She said how confused she’s been, so did that mean Julianna wasn’t so sure? Did she have second thoughts and was trying to avoid the day when she’d have to break things? Now she practically says she can’t live without him. What did she really mean? Well, she couldn’t have made up that stuff she said about him on the spot like that. Did she really want to say something against what James and Lily were bringing up? She could be like that. But he knew Julianna was a passionate person and that speech of hers definitely qualified. No, she must have meant every word and that was why she still hadn’t said anything. She always was awful at expressing her feelings.

–Well say something,” Julianna said with a small voice.

–Like what?”

–Anything. How much did you hear?”

–Everything from how unreasonable you are.”

Great, that was everything. –And?” Julianna asked.

–And nothing.”

They were silent for a moment before Matt asked, –Did you mean it?” He had to know.

–Every word,” she whispered, staring at her feet. She couldn’t look him in the eye, not right now.

Outside the kitchen, James looked at Lily and could see she was just as uncomfortable as he was. Really, they shouldn’t be listening in on such a private conversation.

–We can’t leave now, they might hear us,” Lily mouthed to him. So James nodded and they continued to listen. He rather like conspiring with her, even if by accident.

Julianna had sworn to herself to never get emotional and teary. There was no way she would cry over some boy. But here she was, tears on the verge of spilling over. How did this happen? What had he done to make her feel this way? How had he managed to get to her? She was so confused and emotional that it took all of her self-control to not break down entirely.

–Well then why -” Matt started.

–Look, I’ve told you I’m capable of expressing how I feel. It wasn’t until someone suggested that I do something I didn’t want to do that I realized how strongly I objected,” she interrupted.

She had to take a deep breath to steady herself. In that moment she dared to look at Matt, but immediately wished she hadn’t. He was looking at her strangely, in a way that made her heart beat faster and make her feel unbearably warm.

–I joke . . . a lot. It’s my way of coping with things, and this . . . it scares me. But I don’t want you to feel for one minute that I don’t care, because I care immensely. It matters deeply to me what you think, and . . .”

Matt’s heart was racing. It was clear to him just how much Julianna meant to him, and it was obvious from how thick with emotion her voice was that he meant the world to her. So where did that leave them?

–I feel so overwhelmed right now, I don’t know what to do,” continued Julianna, covering her face with her hands. What was wrong with her? And why did it give her such comfort when Matt wrapped his arms around her?

Lily looked at James and gave him a small grin. She couldn’t believe how emotional her friend was, and she could tell from the look on James’ face that he wasn’t expecting that at all.

Julianna was not a hopeless or vulnerable person and Matt knew that, but she was in such a state that he felt the desire to hold and protect her from whatever was bothering her. He knew she would understand the hug.

–I’m sorry,” Julianna finally said.

–For what - feeling human?” said Matt, keeping a firm hold on her still.

–For being so rotten and silly.”

–You goose, you still don’t get it. All I wanted was to know how you really felt about me. Now that I know, that’s all I care about. So, shall we join -”

–No! I can’t go in looking like this!”

–What - like you care?”

–Like someone can make me care. I have a reputation to protect.”

–That’s my girl,” said Matt before he kissed the top of her head and broke away.

–Plus I’d like to have you all to myself for the time being,” added Julianna with a sly grin.

–How can I resist my company to someone who yearns for it,” Matt replied with an equally mischievous smile. He could hear the joke and the playful punch coming, but didn’t want to end on that note. Instead, for once he let his emotions take over. He drove her against the wall and kissed her in a way that would erase all doubt from her mind about them.

Julianna was a willing participant. Her emotions were running so high that she had to do something about it. With all that had happened in the last little while, letting Matt take control and give such passionate kisses felt right.

–We have to stop,” she gasped after a while as he kissed her collarbone.

–What if I’m not done,” he said in between kisses.

–It’s not my house and there are people here besides us.”

–You owe me, then,” Matt conceded, settling for a warm hug.

–I promise, the first Saturday back is all yours,” she told him, leading him to the table to eat cookies and squares left over.

–I’ll hold you to it!”

It was James’ turn to grin at Lily. He couldn’t believe them, yet he knew that Julianna would enjoy being snogged senseless.

Suddenly they heard footsteps and James gave Lily a panicked look. Without further thought, he grabbed her arm and dragged her into the closest room, out of sight from the retreating couple.

–That was close,” whispered Lily, slightly out of breath from nearly being caught eavesdropping. Then she looked around and asked, –Where are we?”

–My dad’s study,” answered James. He still had a hold on Lily’s arm as he pressed his ear against the door. He didn’t know how they were going to get back without arousing suspicion as to where they’d been, particularly being alone together, but they would find a way. It was definitely worth it to have this moment with Lily.

--------
End Notes:
So how is it? I know it's long. I've had this written for a while, but I haven't been happy with it until now. In the next chapter, Lily's troubles with Gethin continue and a several plans are hatched.
The Show by Secret Marauder 90
Author's Notes:
The clowns help Lily with her "Gethin Problem" and later decide that Julianna doesn't spend enough time with them and so they put on a show for the common room.
--------

Once the party was over - which was well into the following day - and everyone had left, Lily was glad to be rid of Potter. Things just felt so much more natural now that he was ‘Potter’ again. He could never be ‘James’ to her.

The rest of the holiday went by in a flash. The new term at Hogwarts had started which brought a harsher realization that their OWLs were fast approaching. Lily’s birthday came and went with a small celebration between studying. Valentine’s Day had also come and gone, but with no Slughorn party - he had mysteriously become ill and was unable to host one. A few more birthdays passed, and now Easter was a few weeks away.

Julianna and Matt were still together, only with a sense of finality. She had finally realized how he fit into her life and was able to deal with it, and vice versa.

Lily, on the other hand, couldn’t bring herself to hurt Gethin and had remained with him. He was always happy with her which made her feel worse about the whole thing.

–Just break up with him,” said Julianna for what felt like the fiftieth time. She was putting her Transfiguration notes in order having merely tossed them into her trunk with the rest of her notes earlier in the year.

–Easy for you to say when you have no intention of breaking up with Matt,” replied Lily. She was trying to decide the best order to study over the break.

–Well I think Sirius and I are meant for each other,” commented Amanda absent-mindedly while painting her nails. –I expect a proposal any time now.”

Julianna snorted, but managed to turn it into a sneeze. She had to tell Sirius about this. They wouldn’t snog nearly as much or as long if he knew she wanted it to end in marriage.

–At least you have someone, Lily. I’m still stuck flying solo,” sulked Marlene. She was also busy doing her nails. All four were locked in their dormitory as it was Friday night and they had wanted to start their girl’s night again - except for Julianna, that is.

–We’ll just have to fix that then,” said Amanda eagerly.

–I smell boy talk,” Lily said. In her mind she was thoroughly done with Gethin and ready to move on. This kind of thing was just what she needed to put the nail in the coffin.

–Well I’m off to Quidditch practice,” announced Julianna a little too loudly. She left before anyone could comment.

–But this is supposed to be girl’s night,” said Amanda at her sudden absence.

–Didn’t Brenda arrange something with Spencer for tonight?” asked Marlene, who was up to date with these matters throughout Hogwarts.

–Then don’t give her the opportunity to leave next time,” Lily scolded gently. It was quite obviously an excuse to get out of talking about boys. She knew Julianna was happy with Matt, especially after New Year’s, and there was no reason for her to want to shop around.

–I think the time has come,” Marlene said, looking mischievously at Amanda who nodded back in return.

–So Mar, what are you looking for in a guy,” said Lily, trying to change the subject.

–Yes! There has to be someone out there for you!” added Amanda.

–It’s too bad Sirius is taken - he would’ve been perfect. Well . . . he has to be handsome.”

–Obviously,” said Amanda, rolling her eyes as if anything less would even be an option.

–And charming.”

–Yes, he has to be able to win your heart,” Amanda interjected again.

–He has to dress well.”

–You’re right. You don’t want him to embarrass you just by standing at your side.”

–Smart.”

–But not too smart that he makes you look dumb.”

–Tall.”

–But not too tall that he hurts his back trying to kiss you.”

Lily kept looking between the two as they practically ignored her presence. She couldn’t’ believe them sometimes. Maybe Julianna had something in leaving earlier. It was too bad she didn’t have a valid excuse like that, even if it wasn’t true. Perhaps she could pretend to have arranged to meet Sev in the library again . . .

–Lily, what do you think?” Amanda had caught her off guard.

Lily hadn’t been paying attention after trying to find a way to escape, but now she knew there was no way out. At least she had her library excuse ready in her arsenal for next time.

Her silence had stretched on too long, but Amanda was ready with an answer. –Uh-oh, Gethin problems.”

–Don’t worry Lily, we’re here for you,” said Marlene, getting up to join Lily on her bed.

–What you need is a nice boy to help take your mind off him,” said Amanda.

–I can’t think of nice boys while I’m still with Gethin, Am,” Lily told her practically. –Besides, who else is there?”

–How about his friend Riley,” Marlene suggested.

–Oh, he’s so sweet,” Amanda crooned.

–Idiot doesn’t know the inside of a cauldron from his toothbrush.”

–I know, and he’s in Ravenclaw,” Marlene said, quickly siding with Lily and matching her disgust. –How about Caleb?”

–Yes, I heard Slughorn adores his potion-making.”

–He can barely Charm a girl, let alone his pillow.”

–An amateur mistake,” replied Marlene.

–Lucas - that’s a boy with some skills,” offered Amanda.

–Yeah, and trolls can join the ballet.”

–Remus?”

–Tried that, didn’t work.”

–Fabian?”

–A pansy.”

–Ted?”

–Too old.”

–Arthur?”

–He’s married and has kids.”

–Troy?”

–Julianna’s brother?”

–So? He’s cute,” said Marlene.

–That’ll go well,” Lily said sarcastically.

–Fine. Peter?”

–Too squirrelly.”

–Well then, what do you want?” cried Amanda, exasperated. –Do you want to die alone?”

–First of all he has to care about me,” started Lily. She already knew what she was looking for. In fact, she had sort of compiled this list with Julianna during the break while spending the holidays with the Foschis.

–Gethin does.”

–And I have to care about him,” she added.

–You don’t want to hurt his feelings.”

–He has to make me not want to poke his eyes out with my quill,” she said. Honestly, did they not understand?

–Okay, we get the point.”

–He has to be loyal to his friends and to me - I have to know I can count on him.”

–Go on . . .”

–If he can make me laugh, is a decent wizard, and doesn’t look like a complete troll, then I’ll consider him.” She knew it was a slightly unreasonable list, but weren’t they always like that?

They were all silent for a while thinking of all the eligible boys at Hogwarts. Evidently the list was small.

–My cousin Carmen might know this guy -” began Amanda.

Marlene whacked her and said, –What part of ‘decent wizard’ do you not understand?”

–Right.”

–Well,” Marlene said tentatively, –there is one guy.”

–Who?” Lily couldn’t imagine anyone at Hogwarts meeting her expectations.

–Potter.”

–Don’t make me laugh,” Lily scoffed. –Let’s hear another name that doesn’t make my skin crawl.”

–Think about it, Lil. He kind of fits,” said Amanda, thinking carefully. –You can get along if you put your mind to it. Look at it - by the end of that one night you were practically friends.”

–What choice did I have? Nobody told me what the plans were. I couldn’t jolly well stroll in there and be rude right in front of his parents.” Lily didn’t understand how they couldn’t see how absurd even suggesting Potter for her was.

–You met his parents? When did this happen?” Marlene was unaware of the New Year’s party because her friends didn’t want to make her feel like she was left out.

–Not now,” Amanda hissed. –Come on, Lily, face it - it’s a match that fits your impossible description. There’s no denying that he likes you.”

–Only because he know it gets under my skin,” argued Lily.

–He’s loyal to his friends - he never bails on them.”

–Yet he still gets them in detention and pranks unsuspecting students,” she continued to argue.

–Which, if he tries, could end up making you laugh.”

–I don’t find his treatment of Severus very amusing.” That much was obvious, so why couldn’t’ they see it?

–He’s one of the top in our year and one of the most desirable guys at Hogwarts.”

–Your point?” Lily was starting to feel uncomfortable. So maybe James - no, it was Potter! Potter might fit some of her qualifications, but he was so obviously wrong for her.

–My point is that you can stop looking and just give it a go. You might like him more than you think,” said Amanda.

–Even if I did like him - which I don’t, and gave it a shot - which I would never do and would never work anyway, there’s still one little problem: Gethin.”

–Details,” Marlene brushed off. –What if we told him you like someone else?”

–Which is a lie.”

–Or tell Potter to break it off for you. I’m sure he would.”

–Which I’ll never agree to.”

–Or Marlene could get friendly with him and force Gethin to dump you in favour of her,” Amanda said suddenly, her face lighting up.

–Brilliant! I don’t have to hurt his feelings, or confess an undying love of Potter . . . no, that doesn’t mean it exists. What d’you say, Mar?” Lily couldn’t believe she hadn’t thought of asking one of the clowns. Of course Julianna wouldn’t break things off for her, but the clowns would be more than capable of a solution.

–Well . . . he is cute, and I have no problem with him adoring me. Why not, let’s give it a go.”

–Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you . . .” Lily said, hugging Marlene.

–It won’t happen straight away. I have to be subtle of my eagerness will turn him off.”

–I don’t care. As long as he’s gone before we do our OWLs.”

–No pressure,” said Amanda, grinning.

* * *

Operation Switcheroo was in place. Throughout the two weeks leading up to the break, Marlene began to do her thing. She and Amanda even accompanied Gethin and Lily in the library occasionally for extra face time with him.

–It’ll give him the chance to compare us while we’re next to each other,” Marlene explained after her first appearance.

Poor Gethin didn’t know what was going on. First there was one girl who like him, then didn’t like him, now he wasn’t sure whether she did or not but didn’t bother herself to clarify. Now there were three girls with whom he did homework: the unsure one, one who couldn’t care either way if she was there, and one who seemed really nice and interesting.

–Too many girls,” he cried after escaping the library from them with the excuse of the loo. They used it often enough.

–Manipulative and conniving little species, aren’t they,” replied Julianna. She and Matt were wandering the halls together, intending to study during the break. Gethin hadn’t realized they were there when he spoke.

–Aren’t you one?” asked Gethin.

–I suppose I am deep down, but do I act like one?” she asked.

–Not particularly,” he admitted.

–And now you have too many. I see your problem,” mused Julianna.

–What’s wrong?” asked Matt.

–Well I’m studying with Lily who’s my girlfriend. Two of her friends have been coming over to study with us recently.”

–And?” Julianna prompted.

–So this one friend doesn’t give a fart in space about me or about being there. Her other friend does seem to like me, but she isn’t my girlfriend, but I kind of wish she was my girlfriend because my real girlfriend also doesn’t seem to care about me anymore, but I still like her even if I like her friend.”

–Whoa, too many girls,” said Matt.

–That’s what I said!”

–Tough luck, man,” Matt said sympathetically. He was glad Julianna liked him and didn’t have to worry about liking one of her friends.

Laughing, Julianna said, –Well isn’t it obvious? You can either stay with your miserable girlfriend making the one who likes you miserable as well, or you can cut your losses and get with the one that actually likes you.”

–And you think you’re rubbish at feelings,” Matt said, attempting to massage her shoulders.

–Don’t,” said Julianna, scrunching her shoulders and backing away. –I’m warning you.”

–Oh, are we ticklish there,” he said, trying to get to the soft spot.

–You know I am . . . stop - not now!”

They had forgotten Gethin who was now headed back to the library, their voices echoing behind him.

* * *

–Success!” cried Lily as she entered the common room the Thursday night before the break.

–What happened?” asked Julianna. She was sitting around the fire with some people discussing Quidditch.

–Gethin said he might like someone else and wasn’t sure we were going to work out anyway. I am a free agent and back on the market!” she cried again, punching the air.

–Too bad you won’t have anyone,” said Amanda. She had walked over to the armchair next to the one Lily had taken.

–Don’t sound so sad over it,” said James who was also in the common room sitting near the fire during the news and was equally as pleased.

–Poor Gethin,” replied Amanda.

–Poor Gethin? Poor me! I had to suffer being with him for the past school year. It’s taken me how long to finally shake him off?” cried Lily.

–Gee Evans, next time I want to break up with someone, remind me not to ask you,” said Sirius.

–What’s that supposed to mean?” Amanda asked indignantly, looking at him and waiting for an answer.

–Listen Amanda-bear, it’s been fun, but I can’t stay tied down while I haven’t finished testing the waters,” Sirius told her.

–Meaning?” Amanda’s lip was beginning to tremble. She didn’t like where this was headed.

–I need to share the love, you know? Spread the wealth,” said Sirius before Amanda burst into tears and ran up to her bed.

–And that’s how you break up with someone,” James commented.

–That was completely insensitive! Now she’ll be a wreck for the whole break,” Lily half-yelled at Potter. –You won’t have to live with her sobs at all hours.”

–That’s not my problem, Evans.”

–No, Potter, it’s ours. But I’ll make sure you suffer for what he’s done. Ugh, I can’t believe Amanda wanted to match me up with you.” Lily stormed over to a secluded part of the common room where she sat and wrote a Transfiguration paper so furiously that she had to keep repairing the holes her quill was leaving.

–Well would you look at that,” commented Sirius, completely unshaken by his recent break up. –You’re not the only one who thinks you should be with Evans, Prongs.”

–Too bad you wrecked it with that remark of yours,” Remus told James. –Don’t laugh, Padfoot, you started it. You just had to break up with her now, didn’t you?”

–I wonder who is next,” said Peter.

–Huh?”

–They say these things come in three,” he replied.

–Sure as hell isn’t me,” said Julianna.

–That’s death, Wormy. Death comes in threes,” Remus said.

–Still makes you wonder, though,” Sirius put in.

* * *

–I can’t believe him sometimes,” said Lily, once Julianna rejoined her in the girl’s dormitory the following evening.

–Then why don’t you just go out with him? It’s just one boy,” Amanda asked her. Amanda was your typical teenage girl in that she loved talking about boys. She had picked this up from her cousin with whom she had grown up. With her perfect blonde ringlets and captivating eyes, she had no trouble reeling in the boy she wanted. No guy so far seemed able to resist her charm. And being so different from Lily, she couldn’t understand why it was such a big thing having a boy chase after her for so long, so she voiced her opinion.

–Why is it such a bad thing? You just said it - he’s a boy. And he doesn’t seem to want to grow up either. I want a successful man, not some slacker boy,” Lily said.

–Oh, but he is a man,” said Marlene. Even if he was the enemy, that was to Lily. He was still an attractive boy and there was no shame in saying so.

–And in case you haven’t noticed, he is successful. He and Sirius are top of our year,” Amanda told her.

–But he’s a slacker. If only he realized that if he applied himself better, he’d achieve more, same with Julie.”

–Hey, I’m right here! I may not be paying attention, but I still am,” said Julianna, looking up from Quidditch Through the Ages.

–Was that supposed to make sense?” Lily asked as she joined them.

–Who’s not making sense?” asked a voice from downstairs. Their door was left open and their voices had drifted down.

–I bet it was Julianna. Who else of the girls would it be?” answered another voice downstairs.

–Atta girl, Jules!” cried the first voice, who then added, –Evans, wanna go out with me?”

–Hey Lily, it’s lover boy calling,” said Julianna with a smirk. –What should I tell him?”

–Yes, of course,” Amanda answered for her. –Come on Lily, we all know how you really feel.”

–You all know how I really feel?” Lily asked, rounding on Julianna.

–I’m not in on this, remember? And I believe he’s still waiting,” replied Julianna, bookmarking her page and setting the book down.

–Well then please tell him ‘no’ for me. He might believe me if it comes from someone else,” Lily told her.

Once Julianna had left and closed door and was out of earshot, Amanda said, –I think there’s something wrong with her. She’s a girl who doesn’t like talking about boys.”

–You mean she’s an attractive girl who doesn’t have to try or obsess,” corrected Lily. –And I remind you, Am, that while you went out with Fabian and Sirius - and was dumped by both - Julianna has gone out with Frank, Fabian, and Remus to name a few, turned down Jordan, is currently going out with Matt Bell, one of the top on your most desirable guys at Hogwarts, and has remained on good terms with all of them.”

–Yeah, well, I’m convinced she’s half-male anyway,” said Marlene.

–What?!”

–Well, she has three brothers, one of her only friends before Hogwarts was James - a boy, she’s still good friends with him and Sirius, she’s an intense Quidditch player, she’s lazy, she’s competitive, and she’s no flower after physical activity,” Marlene concluded.

–And she seems to get along better with the likes of those marauding morons than us,” added Amanda, still hurt by Lily’s remark. It was only yesterday that Sirius had broken up with her and it still stung. But she had plans for getting even with him.

Suddenly the door opened and Julianna walking in saying, –Don’t worry, he said he’s busy working on something this weekend anyway, but I don’t think he’s given up. Anyway, I’m going to play some Quidditch with James and Sirius. We may win if we -”

–No. You’re not going. You need to spend some quality time with your fellow girls,” said Marlene adamantly.

–We’ll have a sleepover. That ought to help,” said Amanda.

–We will - after Quidditch,” Julianna replied.

–No. For the rest of the weekend you’ll spend your time entirely with us. No waking up early, no early morning jogs, no Quidditch, and no hanging around them. It’ll be a non-stop sleepover,” Marlene said.

–What? Why? Besides, you’ll end up talking about how cute you think they are and drag me along with you,” argued Julianna.

–Sorry, James,” Amanda yelled out the door. –Julianna can’t practice today or tomorrow. She’ll be busy with us.”

–Why are they even called sleepovers? One rarely sleeps, and we all share the dormitory anyway. How is this any different?” Julianna murmured to no one in particular, trying to make for the door before she was locked in, but she was blocked by Marlene.

–Because, this time you will be involved,” answered Amanda as she went to her trunk in search of all her makeup, knowing full well how much Julianna hated makeup and planned to use it against her.

* * *

Much later in the boys’ dormitory, James and Sirius sat confused on their beds. How could Julianna have turned down Quidditch?

–What do you think of that?” asked Sirius.

–I think they’re holding her against her will,” answered James. Not a moment later they heard the distant sound of someone, no doubt Julianna, yelling –Isn’t kidnapping illegal?”

–Sounds like makeup . . . maybe a dress is involved,” Sirius said, trying to distinguish between her yells.

–It’s not like she hasn’t worn that stuff before. Jules just isn’t stupid enough to tell them,” James said.

–I can’t imagine Jewel in a dress, but she’s got the legs for heels,” mused Sirius.

–What do you mean? You’ve seen her in a dress several times,” cried James.

–And what would you know about Julianna’s legs?” asked Remus emerging from his book.

–How could you not notice? Didn’t you go out with her?”

As Sirius and Remus argued about Julianna, which soon turned into discussing the rest of the Gryffindor girls in their year, James thought of just one.

Maybe next time mum and dad ask Jules’ family over for a formal dinner she’ll invite Lily too. And she would wear a beautiful dress, and I could . . .

–I think we’ve lost him,” said Remus.

–NO! He’s too young to die,” said Sirius dramatically. Then, –No, I think he’s just in a Lily coma.”

–A Lily coma?”

–You know - vacant expression, occasional slight drooling, and no brain activity except thoughts of Lily. I think he passed air once too,” he said to Remus.

–That’s one way to get her attention, especially since acting like a fool isn’t working at the moment,” Remus said.

–It’s just too bad he doesn’t have my natural ability to attract the females. I’m hopelessly gorgeous,” stated Sirius with a sigh.

–And so humble too,” James said sarcastically, snapping out of his Lily coma. –I’ve had just as many girlfriends as you have.”

–Have not! I’m clearly much hotter than you,” Sirius argued.

–You can be as hot as you want, but I’m the sexier one. Right Remus?” James asked, but Remus had already left for the quieter common room.

After joining Remus in the common room, James and Sirius continued their discussion of who the most attractive one was. It wasn’t until an hour later that they were stopped by someone at the bottom of the stairs who had cleared their throat.

–We, the girls in fifth- and sixth-year, are here to put on a small Muggle fashion show for the enjoyment and entertainment of you in the common room now,” Marlene said before putting on the radio. –And now let me introduce our first model Amanda, ready in a lovely amethyst-coloured cocktail dress, and white heels to tie it all together.”

James, Sirius, and Remus were no longer the only ones in the common room. A few more boys had emerged from their rooms and the hall. Peter, Spencer Wood, Kyle Peterson, Jack Spinnet, and a small first year boy had joined them at the sofas, among the others hovering around to catch a glimpse. As usual, all eyes were on Amanda which suited her perfectly.

–Next we have both Alysia and Charlotte. Alysia is wearing a nice summer day dress with a pink floral pattern and matching pink flats,” announced Marlene while the boys clapped. –Charlotte is wearing a nice black A-line skirt with a blue blouse, complimenting her blue heels,” she continued to more applause and whistling from Wood.

–And now we move into our evening wear,” she continued, followed by wolf calls from Sirius. –Here we have the lovely Miss Lily Evans and Miss Julianna Foschi - yes, that’s really her - to showcase for us their dresses.”

The common room erupted in a fresh wave of wolf calls, clapping, and whistling at the sight of them.

–Lily is wearing an elegant, floor-length, emerald green dress with black heels. Look at the way her strapless gown flows gently down, and her shawl is draped effortlessly over her. Isn’t she simply divine?” Marlene continued. –And now for our piece de resistance - no offense girls. Julianna has been forced into this stunning evening gown.”

–I think disarmed and stunned her sounds more like it,” James whispered.

–Well, she is stunning,” Sirius whispered back.

–Her sapphire gown, beautifully matching her eyes, with narrow straps perfectly silhouettes her body, making her appear taller and more poised. And her heels give her legs a perfectly toned looked.”

–I’ll say. She looks almost as good as me,” said Sirius.

–What’s with your obsession with legs?” Peter asked him.

–She’s your cousin,” said James, slightly disgusted.

–And that just means that my legs share a family resemblance,” Sirius said.

–Somehow I don’t think she’d appreciate you saying that. In fact, I think she might give you a black eye,” Remus said threateningly.

–Only if she finds out . . . you wouldn’t!”

–Well, it is the second time you’ve mentioned her legs in the past hour,” James said.

–That’s just a coincidence. It isn’t pushing it too far yet, right Remus?” pleaded Sirius, but James answered.

–Fine, but three strikes and you’re out as the Muggles say.”

–You mean she has to hit me three times? It’ll only take her once to give me a black eye. Twice if my friends would hold her back,” Sirius emphasized. –Three times, though? Ouch!”

–No, I mean that if you do it again, I will tell her.”

–And I thought he was the smart one” Remus added quietly.

–Hem, hem,” Marlene interrupted. –Let’s give Julianna one more round of applause as she gives us one more twirl,” she added enthusiastically.

–You twirl,” Julianna said in a low growl, looking daggers at Marlene.

–The sooner you do it, the sooner we can go back up,” Alysia explained, trying to be patient.

–Anyone else scared of that look?” James asked his three friends.

Julianna tried to make her way up the stairs, but found the way was blocked by Marlene and Charlotte. So instead, she turned around and stomped out of the Gryffindor Tower and down the hall, heels clicking with each step.

Lily and Amanda ran after her to try easing the situation. Not wanting to miss the action, the four boys followed close behind.

–Julie, wait up,” Lily called after her.

–Really, we only meant to cheer you up. We never hang out and you’re so pretty dressed like that,” Amanda stated.

–Seriously, if you keep following, I’ll hex you the entire way back,” Julianna warned both of them, noting that James, Sirius, Remus, and Peter were keeping a safe distance.

–It was just for fun,” Lily tried to explain.

–Evans is right,” James said, finally approaching the war zone.

–I don’t need your help, Potter,” Lily remarked, and took Amanda with her back to the dormitory to change.

Julianna continued down the hall and turned to corner. She was a lot faster now that she had taken off her heels and was now walking bare foot. It took a few moments before they caught up, Peter bringing in the rear out of breath.

–I don’t need your sympathy,” Julianna said, still walking away.

–Since when have we needed to give you sympathy?” Sirius asked.

–We thought you could use some real fun,” explained Remus.

At this, Julianna stopped and turned around saying, –And what do you have in mind?”

Feeling playful, James answered, –A nice, school-wide prank,” an impish twinkle in his eyes. Julianna mirrored this, her eyes taking on a dark glint, waiting for what they had in mind.

--------
End Notes:
It may not seem like it based on my lack of attention here, but I'm still kind of attached to this fic. I'm interested in continuing it, but as a more experienced writer and there would be a some slight changes for it to be more J/L-centric. Any thoughts on this idea?
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=93294