The Trouble With Kids . . . by Secret Marauder 90
Summary: In a world where Voldemort never rose to power, didn't begin a murderous rampage. Where James and Lily survive. They continue with starting their family only to hit a road-block with Harry when he becomes a teenager. Can Sirius help, or is he too busy with his hands full of his own issues to sort out his wayward godson?
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Warnings: Alternate Universe
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: Yes Word count: 8970 Read: 4307 Published: 12/02/14 Updated: 09/18/15

1. Chapter 1 by Secret Marauder 90

2. Chapter 2 by Secret Marauder 90

3. Chapter 3 by Secret Marauder 90

Chapter 1 by Secret Marauder 90
Author's Notes:
Harry wanders off, James acts like a father, and a little fluffy cuteness.
--------

It was an ordinary August day in London. Much too ordinary if truth be known, but nothing could be done about that. Londoners were used to the overcast skies and not-so-warm weather.

Somewhere in London, a family was making their way to somewhere ordinary. In fact, the pub was rather shabby-looking and most people simply walked passed it, as if it wasn’t there. It was a strange location for a family to be going, but this was no ordinary family, and that was not their destination.

James Potter led his family inside, pleasantly acknowledging those who greeted them, and then proceeded to the back where he took out a rather ordinary stick of wood. With it, he tapped a brick on the wall in front of him and something quite extraordinary happened - the brick wall moved.

You see, James Potter was a wizard, and his wooden stick was really a wand. He and his family were on their way to Diagon Alley, a sort of magical marketplace, to buy school supplies for the two eldest children.

–Oh, Daddy, isn’t it wonderful?” said the little girl clinging to his hand.

–But you’ve already seen me do that several times, Dani,” James responded, but he couldn’t resist smiling at the wonder on his daughter’s face.

–Mum, why can’t I go to Hogwarts yet?” whined Gareth, his brown eyes watering over. Ever since his big brother had started going to the magical school, he had wanted to as well because his big brother was the best and he wanted to be just like him.

–In a couple of years, Gareth,” said his mother, Lily, squeezing his hand.

–Well I can’t wait! I bet it’s wonderful!” said Danielle, her voice still full of awe.

–It’s school. How wonderful can it be?” her big brother Harry said. –Now let’s go before we get crushed because we’ve waited too long.”

James sighed, sharing a look with his wife, and continued into Diagon Alley. He had been delighted when Harry began to look like him - what father wouldn’t? And when Harry had made the Quidditch team in his first year, James had been over the moon and attended the first game with his three best mates. But there seemed to be something about Harry, and James wasn’t quite sure what to do about it.

The family went all around getting Danielle’s wand, cauldron, books, and even a cat. However, late in the afternoon, there were still things to be done and her brothers were rather bored.

–Mum, I’m tired. Can’t we go sit down?” asked Gareth, tugging on Lily’s arms which were full of supplies.

–Dad, she still needs her robes and that’ll take hours!” exaggerated Harry. –Can’t I go look around? I am thirteen now, after all.”

–James, why don’t I take Gareth to Florean’s and you stay with Dani while she gets fit,” said Lily, wishing to unburden her arms. –Harry can look around while we do and then meet us at Florean’s in an hour.”

Sighing, James replied, –Alright. There may not be enough room for us all, anyway. It looks crowded.” Turning to face his eldest son, he said, –You heard your mother - Florean’s in an hour. And if you start now, you might get a peek at that new broom. They say all the professionals have bought a Firebolt for the Cup next year.”

–Yes!” Harry cried, punching the air and bolting before his parents could change their mind. He thought he had seen a few friends in a shop not far away.

–Let him be,” said Lily. She had seen the look on James’ face when Harry left, wanting to call after him on last thing. Swiftly giving her husband a kiss on the cheek, she added, –We’ll see you in an hour.”

–Come on, Daddy! Let’s go,” cried Danielle impatiently, dragging her father into Madam Malkin’s.

Once inside, James immediately wished he had switched places with Lily. It was a nightmare in there; a regular zoo.

–Are you sure we can’t come back later?” asked James. Really, there should be cages to keep them all back.

–Please?” Danielle begged.

It only took one look from her that made James change his mind. Her eyes could be deadly when she wanted. James made a mental note to tell Sirius off for having taught her the look. It could only have been him.

As they waited, James began speaking with some of the other parents. It turned out they were much the same age. Soon they had recognized each other and began catching up and reminiscing about Hogwarts. It took even less time for Danielle to talk with the other new students. She was chatting away with them about anything that popped up and everyone was only too keen on joining in.

–Do you remember that time where Snape was chased around by that statue?” asked a parent.

–Remember? It was my idea!” cried James.

–Classic,” someone else said, laughing along.

–And the time when Snape’s hair almost caught fire standing too close to his cauldron?” the parent asked again.

–No! Where was I?” asked another parent.

–Didn’t take Advance Potions, did you? Well, you would have been spared in the grease fire,” commented James.

–Unfortunately not. But I was there for the Easter Bunny Massacre of ’75.”

–I remember it took us forever to figure that one out,” replied James.

–Or the Sunday Sprint to the Astronomy Tower.”

–That was genius! I never remember if it was Sirius’ idea or mine,” he said.

–Oh, and the time when someone decided to make Defense more practical so they sent Snape running while we used him as a moving target to practice Stunning.”

–The Stun Run!”

–Another classic of ours,” cried James. He shouldn’t be this happy, especially looking back at what he and his friends had made Snape do, but they were good times.

–Daddy, who’s Snape?” asked Danielle. No one had noticed the children had all stopped talking and were listening to their parents’ conversation instead.

–Just an old school mate of ours,” said James evasively. If he wasn’t more careful, he’d have a lot more explaining to do.

–That’s one way to put it,” said a new voice, but it wasn’t so new to James.

–Uncle Remi!” cried Danielle, launching herself at the newcomer.

–Moony, how’d you find us through this lot?” James asked, indicating the still-growing crowd around them.

–I bumped into Lily and she told me I’d find you here,” Remus replied. He was still hugging Danielle who was hanging off of his neck and refusing to let go.

James gave a small grin to which Remus only shrugged and hugged tighter. And what else could he do but hug back his goddaughter? He had been honoured when he found out, and was exceptionally glad she was fond of him. Privately, she would always hold a special place in his heart, and not because he was her godfather. There was something about the little girl that was magical.

–Alright, Dani, that’s enough. Let go of Uncle Remus before you suffocate him,” said James, prying her arms off and putting her down. He gave his friend a look when she determined to look disappointed and defiantly grabbed Remus’ hand, but Remus only shrugged again.

After a few moments of silence, or as silent it could get in a crowd, James made a few observations before smirking. To Remus, he said, –Don’t look now, Moony, but that witch over there is trying to catch your attention.”

–I know, but I wonder why,” said Remus. He had noticed the witch as well, but also noted she was about ten years younger than him.

–Because you have my adorable child attached to your arm, and women have a soft spot for children and men who are good with kids. Brings out motherly instincts or something of the sort, don’t you know,” James said, winking at him.

–That’s because it’s Dani.”

–Come on - you get along great with Harry.”

–That’s because Sirius and I tell him of the Marauders’ adventures and then he goes off trying to best us.”

–A chip off the old block,” James said proudly.

–Speaking of which, isn’t that him now? With a few Weasley boys?”

Turning to look out the window, James saw his son vanish with three flaming heads of red hair, quite unlike Lily’s own dark red hair. Where they were coming from and where they were going to was a mystery, but James didn’t like the looks on their faces.

–Let them be, Prongs. Don’t you want your son to leave his own legacy?”

Finally Madam Malkin came around to fitting Danielle. While this was happening, James began to let his thought wander to Harry and he began to fume a little. Slowly and carefully, Remus was able to edge away and speak with the witch.

When all was said and done, Remus had discovered the witch’s name, and now James was stuck carrying all of his daughter’s new robes as Danielle had grabbed Remus’ hand once again and was leading them out.

Lily had already bought Gareth two ice creams by the time they all returned. When they arrived, she asked, –What took you so long?”

–The wild animals were let out of their cages to run loose and it took a while to round them up. But Remus did interest a young tiger. Eh, Moony?” said James, nudging him with his elbow.

–She’s a witch, not an animal, Prongs.”

–So, what’s her name?” Lily asked encouragingly.

–Where’s Harry?” Remus said, changing the subject.

–I don’t know what to do with that boy of yours, James. Your son has completely lost his mind and is taking his friends down with him. I don’t care if he is your son, but your blood is too strong. Take care of it,” said Lily accusingly.

–My son? He’s your son too! Why is it when I’s something bad, he mine and I have to be the one to punish him, but when it’s something that’s good, you’re only too pleased to be his mother?” cried James. This was ridiculous! How was this, whatever it was, his fault?

–Because he’s just like you!”

–What’s that supposed to mean? I didn’t see you complaining when you married me!” said James. He loved her, there was no doubt about that, and he was positive she loved him, but despite all they had gone through, there would always be that little bit of their old selves creeping in now and then. The part that argued over trivial matters, particularly ones going back to his arrogant, pranking youth.

Not wanting to get caught up in the middle of their parental issues, Remus said, –Well, I have to get back home. But I’ll drop by tomorrow, Prongs.”

–See you, Moony,” said James, shaking his hand.

Crouching down, Remus gave Danielle a hug saying, –I’ll see you tomorrow, okay?”

–Don’t go! You only just got here!” cried Danielle, clinging tighter in the hopes of holding him there longer.

–Tomorrow, okay? I promise.”

–Promise-promise?” she asked, looking at him with eyes the same colour as James’ with the ability to make anyone cave just like Sirius.

–I’ll even have a surprise.” He couldn’t resist those eyes.

–Really? Oh, how wonderful!” she said, hugging him tighter still. In a small whisper so only he could hear, she whispered, –I love you, Uncle Remi.”

–Love you too, Dani,” Remus replied in a whisper. Straightening up, he said out loud, –Until tomorrow. See you then, little hen!”

–In a bit, hippogryph!” Danielle responded.

–Bye, Remus,” said Lily.

Waving at them all, he turned on the spot and vanished.

James was still staring at the spot Remus had vacated only moments before when he noticed the figure of his son heading their way. He ran his hands through his hair wondering what in Merlin’s name he should say. Luckily, he was saved from that task as his wife was the first to speak.

–And where do you think you’ve been, young man?” asked Lily heatedly, crossing her arms and staring at Harry as she waited for an answer.

–You were supposed to meet us here over twenty minutes ago,” James added. He though it would be best if he was right there with her on this matter - which he was. And now that things were rolling, it was becoming much easier.

–With Fred, George, and Ron,” said Harry, trying to look innocent.

–Don’t think you can fool me with that look of yours, mister. Who do you think invented it?” said James. Nicely played, he thought to himself.

–We were just wandering around like you said I could. I guess we just lost track of time,” Harry continued with a shrug. He began shifting a little in his seat.

James picked up on this at once and asked in a grave, and rather scary, voice, –I won’t ask you again. Now - where have you been?”

Harry knew he had done something wrong - had actively and quite intentionally done it. There was no getting out of this mess, but he averted his eyes nonetheless. Really, he had no idea it would take them that long, and he had meant to be back before anyone would notice.

–Harry James Potter, your father asked you a question,” said his mother, her voice dangerously low.

James could barely hear him as Harry muttered quietly, but by some small miracle he did. It was also a miracle that James didn’t completely lose it when he did hear him.

–YOU WERE WHERE?” yelled James, loud enough to make his family wince and passersby to stare. This would have to be taken care of at home.

--------
End Notes:
This is just something that's been floating around in my head for a while. I don't intend for this to be too long; only about two more chapters are planned. Hope you enjoyed it so far! And leave a review!
Chapter 2 by Secret Marauder 90
Author's Notes:
The following day, James wonders how to deal with Harry. Sirius and Remus are no help in the matter, and Lily sides with them.
-------

James was pacing back and forth in the kitchen of his house, running his hands through his hair and making it stand on end more than usual. He didn’t know what to do about his son and was trying to figure it out with Lily and Remus.

Last night when they’d returned from Diagon Alley, James had been too upset to deal with Harry and simply sent him to his room for the rest of the night with no dinner. When he looked back on that action, James realized he had become his father, for he never would have made that choice of punishment earlier in his life. It was a thought that both terrified him and made him chuckle, but he was avoiding the subject now.

–What do we do?” cried James, stopping in front of the two to look at them. He looked a little comical with his hair standing out at strange angles.

–Relax, Prongs. It’s not that bad,” said Remus, sipping his tea.

–Well how did your parents deal with you? This is exactly the same sort of thing you would have done, but you seem to have turned out fine,” said Lily. Her husband getting so worked up was rather amusing - ironic in a way.

–Gee, thanks,” James responded dully.

–Really, mate. Just have some tea and calm down,” said Remus, cupping his beaker with his hands to warm them up. –If I remember correctly, we tried the same thing but had less success. You and Sirius even attempted it several times after. You should be congratulating him on his success!”

–I will not calm down! This has nothing to do with us and you bloody well know it,” said James.

–James, really. Just punish him and move on,” said Lily. She was upset herself, but he was blowing this quite out of proportion now.

–But that’s the problem! I’ve tried speaking with him, I’ve tried yelling at him, I’ve taken away his broom and locked it up, but he’s managed to pick the lock. I’ve grounded him, I’ve deprived his of desserts, of dinner. I’ve tried to give him some responsibilities like chores and taking care of Dani and Gareth, but nothing seems to work! I’ve even tried bribing the boy but it never works out!” James cried frantically. He had begun pacing again, threatening to wear a track into the hardwood.

Lily smiled to herself. There was something amusing about the way her husband was fretting. He hadn’t seemed to realize that he was as much of a terror in his youth as their son Harry was now. But she had put up with James for years and figured it was about time he sorted it out.

–I’m sorry I can’t be of more help to you, Prongs. I don’t have a child or the experience with punishing them,” said Remus. Right now he was rather grateful for that after how Harry seemed to be turning out.

–Sure, but you’re a godfather. Surely you’ve -” James had suddenly stopped, a smile beginning to form which alarmed the two seated in front of him.

–James . . . honey, what’s -” started Lily.

–That’s it,” James said quietly to himself, the smile growing more. Looking at Remus, he said, –Moony, you’re a godfather.”

–Well spotted,” he answered sarcastically. What was up with James?

–Exactly! Harry has a godfather. Let him sort this out - he has experience.”

–James, I don’t think letting Sirius -” Lily began.

Just then, the grate of the fireplace in the kitchen turned green in a sudden burst of flames. Out of the flames hung Sirius’ head, a look of distress on his face.

–Let Sirius what?” he asked, taking in those in the room.

–Padfoot, just the man I wanted to see,” said James happily, wondering how he should broach the subject.

–You sound far too chipper for it to be anything good,” replied Sirius, wincing at something unseen to the occupants of the Potters’ kitchen.

–How have you been, Sirius?” asked Lily. –It’s been a while since we’ve seen you. Why don’t you come over for a spot of tea now?”

–I’m afraid I’m rather busy at the moment,” he said distractedly. –Moony - when did you get here?”

–About an hour ago,” Remus answered dully. –Where’ve you been?”

–I’ve had my own . . . er . . . issues to deal with,” said Sirius’ head, still distracted. Raising his voice, he added, –Some people just need to be punished when they’ve done something wrong.”

–No need to shout, mate - we’re right here,” said Remus. What was wrong with his friends? First James, and now Sirius.

–And speaking of punishment,” James started smoothly, –I have a rather sensitive matter I need you to fulfill your duty to help rectify.”

Sirius had turned his head to address something on his end and didn’t catch James’ rather well-worded sentence. Turning back to face everyone, he said quite innocently, –I’m sorry, I didn’t catch that.”

–Sirius, is something wrong? Back at home? Do you want me to come over and help?” asked Lily. She was concerned for his well-being. They all knew what things could get like, after all.

–Oh, no. Nothing’s the matter,” he said, his face unconvincing as he winced again. There was also a sound coming from his end.

–Are you sure, Padfoot?” said Remus.

–Really, it would be no trouble. We could be there in a moment,” said James, ready to aid his best mate.

–I do appreciate the offer, but right now I . . .” responded Sirius, cutting off his sentence with another wince. –Sorry, but I don’t think having guests over at the moment would be a wise idea - it’ll only make Emily worse.”

James nodded at him while Lily smiled in sympathy. They knew only too well what Sirius was going through. However, Remus merely remained still, really unsure what to do.

–I don’t know how you do it, Padfoot,” said Remus, shaking his head slightly. –Any of you.”

–It’s no trip to a Quidditch match, let me tell you,” he replied.

–Then why did you go ahead and do it?” asked Lily. She couldn’t understand what Sirius was going on about. It wasn’t that bad.

–Because you two make it look so bloody easy,” Sirius replied, getting worked up. –I tried the whole marriage thing, and that didn’t work out. Utter disaster, in fact. But you guys were so happy with Harry and Dani that when you knew about Gareth . . . well, I thought I’d give it a whirl.”

–And you decided to adopt a witch to raise up all on your own without the aid of a spouse,” said Remus in a deadpanned voice.

–Yes,” said Sirius, as if there were no other answer out there. –Having my own wasn’t going to happen, so I’m helping out someone who can’t help themselves or their situation.”

–Yes, yes, very noble, but all by yourself?” asked James. He loved his kids, but he couldn’t imagine raising them without Lily’s help throughout.

–I’ll have you know I love Emily to pieces and wouldn’t change her for anything,” Sirius responded defiantly, his voice a touch louder than was necessary.

–I’m not saying you should!” said James, running his hand through his hair.

–Don’t worry about him, Padfoot. Prongs is having a parental crisis at the moment,” said Remus, sipping more tea and glad he didn’t have any children to deal with.

–He’s having a parental crisis? You want to bet on that?” cried Sirius. He couldn’t believe someone was having a worse time at it than him.

–Five galleons,” said Remus, taking him seriously.

–Five? No - ten,” corrected James, a glint forming in his eyes.

–Ten it is,” replied Sirius, his own grey eyes matching James’ glint.

–I can’t believe you’re betting on who’s having a worse time right now! These are our children we’re talking about!” said Lily, but more for the principle of the thing. She secretly believed Sirius would win knowing Emily’s history of trouble.

–You go first, Prongs,” said Sirius, nodding at him, daring him.

–Well, that godson of yours -” began James.

–You mean your son?” interrupted Sirius.

–Yes . . . him,” James continued, unimpressed. –While we were in Diagon Alley yesterday getting supplies for Harry and Dani -”

–Oh, did she get her letter, then?” Sirius interrupted again. He had been very busy lately, his hands tied with Emily, and so he hadn’t heard from his friends in a little while, though they frequently owled him.

–Yes. She -”

–How is she? Is she excited? Of course she is - she’s not one to get nervous. She’s a lot like you, James, beyond your hair and eyes. Dani’s so enthusiastic about everything, only she has Lily’s common sense,” said Sirius, rambling on in his typical fashion.

–An absolutely splendid child,” said Remus, proud of his goddaughter.

–Yes - she’s absolutely spiffing,” James commented impatiently. –But -”

–And she doesn’t get into nearly the same trouble as her brother,” added Remus, furthering Sirius’ cause but also steering things back to James.

–Exactly,” Sirius continued. –He’s such a troublemaker, that boy. Although it’s not too surprising seeing who his father and godfather are. And when he sent us those toilet seats last year with their signatures on them, I couldn’t be any prouder.”

–The Weasley twins are full of ideas,” agreed Remus. –And Harry makes sure Ron isn’t too well-behaved. Dumbledore knows a little mischief never hurt anyone.”

–I seem to recall an incident back in sixth year - let’s call it mischief, shall we? - that would have caused harm were it not for -” said Lily, playing devil’s advocate.

–Point taken,” said James. He was getting annoyed that the conversation had digressed, but he knew they were doing it on purpose. If he showed his frustration they would only steer it further away. Better to just play along.

–Anyway, you were saying, James?” prompted Sirius, satisfied with his response and decided it was time to continue.

–Oh . . . Harry went off in search of his friends while I took Dani to get fit for robes, and he was to meet us at Florean’s in an hour. Only he didn’t. Do you know where that wayward boy went?”

–I assume you’ll be telling me, and that it wasn’t to check out that new Firebolt,” answered Sirius, wincing at a sound.

Evidently the occupants of the Potters’ kitchen heard it too, because Remus asked, –What was that?”

–Emily. Continue, James.”

–He went to Knockturn Alley!”

–And?”

–Knockturn Alley!”

–Your point?”

–What do you mean, ‘what’s my point’? It’s Knockturn Alley!” James cried for the third time.

–Mate, I don’t see what your problem is. We tried getting in there when we were his age, remember? Only we had less success. Really, as a Marauder, you should be congratulating him.”

–That’s what I said!” cried Remus.

–He is not a fellow Marauder! I am his father! And that’s different - we never actually made it in.”

–Ah, but we tried - many times,” Sirius reminded him.

–Yeah, well my father made sure we didn’t,” said James somewhat bitterly. –But we never attempted to purchase an item there, we just wanted to sneak in!”

–If we made it as far as he did, we would have,” said Remus.

–That’s beside the point! They tried to buy a dark artifact!” cried James. Then he mumbled, –Merlin, I need a cup of tea.”

James pointed his wand at the kettle and proceeded to make his tea. When he had finished, he sat down beside Lily, hoping the combination of tea, sitting, and being near his wife would help calm him down.

–What you need is something stronger. Man up, Prongs,” said Sirius.

–We’re not twenty anymore, Padfoot,” commented James.

–I guess not. If we were, you’d be knocking up Lily, eh?”

–No, the deed was done by the time I was twenty,” corrected Lily. She gave her husband a sly smile after he gave her a you’re-not-helping look.

–So that’s it? You’re upset because he did what you couldn’t . . . sorry, I meant that he disobeyed. You don’t like that he didn’t do as he was told,” said Sirius, making sure that was it.

–Honestly, Prongs, I don’t see what the big deal is. It’s like Lily said, just punish him and move on,” said Remus.

–She said that?” asked Sirius, his floating head looking at her. –Well there you go - if your wife things it’s no big deal, go with it.”

–Thank you, Sirius,” replied Lily.

–Yeah, thanks for siding with her over your best mate,” grumbled James.

–Actually, I was under the impression that this was a competition, so naturally I wouldn’t side with you,” Sirius told him cheekily.

–Either way, I still need you to act godfather and speak with him. Maybe he’ll listen to you,” said James.

–Because I’m such a charmer, right?” replied Sirius, giving them a grin that he thought looked charming.

–Oh yes - I’m practically swooning right now,” said Remus in a deadpanned voice.

–Ha ha,” Sirius replied sarcastically. –Just because your godchild is a walk in the park . . .”

–Maybe I’m just the better godfather,” Remus argued good-naturedly.

–One time! I nearly drop him one time and I’m bloody Grindelwald!”

James was about to make a cheeky comment when they all heard someone calling for Lily. The voice got louder as it approached the kitchen, and in came Gareth.

–Mummy, Harry’s doing that thing again!” he cried.

–Thing? What thing?” Sirius asked Remus, but Remus only shook his head and shrugged.

–Mummy, make him stop! I don’t like it and he won’t stop!” Gareth continued to whine.

Lily pulled him close to calm him down. –Why don’t you stay here for a while, hmm? You can let Dad or Uncle Remus get you a drink while I go speak with your brother.”

She left and Sirius took the time to ask him, –Hey Gareth, what thing was Harry doing?” He was really interested to know.

–He was flipping his eyes out again,” said Gareth, making a pout not as refined as that of his sister’s.

–So he can do it. I knew he’d get it,” Sirius said to himself proudly. He had taught him a little while back how to flip his eyelid to freak people out. Then he said apologetically, –Sorry, buddy. That’s my fault - I taught him that one. But we’ll have to work on that pout of yours. It holds promise, though.”

–About that pout,” said James, rounding on him. He let Remus finish preparing the cocoa for Gareth to say, –How is it that my eleven-year-old daughter can already manipulate people with one look? I know I sure didn’t teach her to. Moony?”

–Not me. But I have experienced this look and must admit I’m curious as to its origins,” replied Remus, setting down the cocoa for Gareth with a few biscuits.

–Where indeed,” commented Sirius, affecting a look of innocence.

James opened his mouth to respond but was cut off when Gareth asked, –Dad, when’s Petey coming back?”

–Son - your godfather’s on his honeymoon. Your guess is as good as mine.”

–A Marauder, right to the end,” said Remus with a grin.

–Honey, your brother promised he won’t do it again,” said Lily, re-entering the kitchen. –Why don’t you take your snack and join your sister. Perhaps she’ll play a game of Exploding Snap if you ask nicely.”

Gareth left, carefully carrying his snack so as not to spill it. When they were sure he was gone, James said, –He promised last time, too.”

–Fine - I’ll have a word with him,” sighed Sirius, recognizing defeat.

--------
End Notes:
Not much longer to go! Please review!
Chapter 3 by Secret Marauder 90
Author's Notes:
Sorry it took so long. I've had most of this ready for a while but I couldn't figure out how to end it. Hope it was worth the wait.
--------

Sirius was still in the fireplace of the Potters speaking to James, Lily, and Remus. He had just explained how Danielle learned how to pout and James was blowing it out of proportion again while Lily and Remus tried stifling their laughs.

–It was a slow babysitting day,” Sirius justified.

–And you thought teaching her how to pout was a good way to kill some time?” argued James.

–At least she knows how to,” commented Remus.

–And what if she tries that look with McGonagall?” cried James, running a hand through his hair.

–Then she’ll know exactly where it came from,” said Lily, knowing that McGonagall would in fact find it highly amusing.

–We already get an owl every other week telling us what nonsense Harry’s gotten himself into since the last time,” James continued. –We don’t need any more.”

–You know, that’s already two times better than the weekly report your parents got about you,” said Remus, clearly remembering a Howler sent some time in their first year.

–You’re not helping,” said James irritably.

–Cheer up, mate. He’ll straighten out in a few years once Dumbledore makes him Head Boy,” said Sirius, highly amused at the thought. Then he muttered, –Bugger.”

–Padfoot, what is it?” asked Remus, noticing his change in demeanour.

–I think Emily’s breaking things again.”

–Again?”

–What did you do?”

–I didn’t do anything!” cried Sirius. –All I did was tell her it was time to get ready. Next thing I know she’s got the bloody furniture moving!”

–On the bright side, at least you know she’s a witch,” said Lily cheerfully.

–You call throwing a tantrum and tossing her toys around by magic a bright side?” asked Sirius in disbelief.

–She does that?” asked Remus. Not for the first time that day was he thanking his lucky stars that he was still single.

–On a daily basis,” moped Sirius. –Yesterday she was knocking over anything fragile with a Fanged Frisbee, but I have no idea how she got one!”

James drank the last of his tea, and then said, –Guilty.”

–Have you tried giving her a time out?” asked Lily before they could argue.

–That still doesn’t prevent her from trying to use magic,” Sirius answered.

–And you’ve taken away her toys?” asked James.

–She somehow magically can get them back, and when she can’t she throws a fit like this.”

–Have you -”

–Emily, put the piano down!” yelled Sirius, growing upset with her antics.

–She has enough control to do that?” cried Remus, his eyes nearly popping out.

–I said PUT IT DOWN!” Sirius continued to shout. –You’re scratching the walls! NO!”

–Padfoot, what’s she doing?” asked James, alarmed at the winces he was Sirius making. –Are you sure you don’t want us to come over?”

–Ow! She’s pelting me with all her stuffies!” said Sirius. –Why do girls need to have so many stuffed animals? Lily, why did you buy her so many?”

–Because you would have bought her Merlin only knows from the boys’ section. Where else is she supposed to get any female influence?” responded Lily. With interest she asked, –Does she have a favourite?”

–Ouch! Does the one she chucks at me the most count?”

–Maybe she’ll be a Chaser,” mused James, his eyes getting that glazed look he got every time he thought about Quidditch.

–Don’t you dare buy her a Bludger! Any of you!”

The three laughed at Sirius’ reaction. They knew he was serious on the matter, but couldn’t help but laugh at the thought of a Bludger running rampant in his house. Then Sirius’ face suddenly grew stiff. The sudden change unsettled his friends a bit, especially not knowing the reason why.

–Padfoot, what -” began James, but he was immediately shushed.

Sirius strained his ears to hear better. That was the problem - he couldn’t hear a thing. After all of the noise Emily had caused, she had now grown silent, and Sirius didn’t want to think what that could mean.

–She’s stopped,” he said plainly.

–That’s good, isn’t it?” asked Lily. Whenever he children stopped, it usually meant that they had run out of steam, the tantrum had run its course.

–I can’t hear her,” he said, still trying to hear anything from his end.

–Maybe she just got tired of acting out,” suggested Remus. He couldn’t figure out why his friend was so wound up over this. Really, he should be thankful it all stopped.

–Emily never gets tired,” argued Sirius. He had been fooled one too many times into thinking she had to believe it now.

Lounging back in his seat comfortably, James said, –I never thought I’d see the day when Sirius Black met his match - and it being his own daughter too!”

–You’re one to talk Mr Knockturn Alley,” Sirius shot back with a smirk.

Undaunted, James declared, –Ah, but you’ve already agreed it’s now your problem.”

Still, the silence carried on at Sirius’ end. He couldn’t look to see what she was doing without leaving the fireplace, but he had no doubt Emily was up to some kind of mischief.

Remus asked, –And you have no idea what she’s up to?” He was having a tough time trying to decide who had it worse off.

–Oh, she’s probably decided to play darts using kitchen knives and the wall as a dartboard,” Sirius replied a little too casually. –You wouldn’t believe how dull that makes them to cut things. Nearly cut off my hand trying to cut a sandwich the other day. You have no idea the sinister ideas that girl gets in her head.”

–I can only guess where she gets her imagination and sense of creativity from,” Lily commented sarcastically. Even if Emily wasn’t his own child, there would still be no confusion over who raised her. They were so similar they could have been blood, from her looks to her mood and tendencies.

–And don’t worry, mate - when she gets to be a teenager in a few years, we’ll be there with you every step of the way,” James reassured him, taking too much pleasure in Sirius’ expression.

–Yes - the outfits, the boys, the dating . . .” Remus listed off. –Hogwarts is a breeding ground for that sort of thing. Don’t worry, Padfoot - Emily’s in good company.”

Sirius’ mouth was now hanging open as he recalled their time at the magical school. He could vividly remember what was going through his young mind, and it only became more graphic with age. There was no way he was going to subject his own daughter to that - not his little girl! It was at this point that Sirius determined to lock Emily in the house and never let her out again. The injustice had to be stopped at all costs.

–Would you look at that,” commented James. He had seen the look on Sirius’ face before and knew exactly what was going through his mind. –Our dear friend here thinks he can prevent that from happening. So will you be locking up the house and throwing away the key, or will you simply move to Siberia and live in an igloo?”

–James, I seem to recall you having a nice, long discussion the day Dani received her letter,” said Lily. There was no point in fooling anyone. She knew her husband was afraid to let his baby girl grow up and was trying his best to stop the whole process.

–Yeah,” said Remus. –I recall last month Dani telling me you tried to convince her to join a convent and become a nun.”

–Some people feel a calling,” James replied stubbornly, crossing his arms.

Sirius smirked at the comment. He couldn’t believe how he and James were acting. If he had been asked in seventh-year what he thought he’d be doing fifteen years down the road, it most definitely would not have been this - worrying about raising a daughter who was growing up to be more like him than he realized. It was a terrifying thought, though the old Marauder in him was secretly waiting to find out how McGonagall would handle her in a few years.

–MUMMY!”

Gareth had come running into the kitchen and straight into Lily’s arms. The remainder of his hot chocolate had been spilt down the front of his shirt and he was looking into the fireplace at Sirius while pouting, the floating head nodding encouragingly at the look.

James didn’t need to see the look on his younger son’s face to know who the culprit was, nor the look on his wife’s face to know he had to do something. Without hesitating, James called Harry, putting as much anger and warning into his raised voice.

–You realize that was a bit frightening, right?” Remus asked lightly.

–I can see why Dumbledore made you Head Boy,” commented Sirius who had paused from silently coaching Gareth with his pout.

James rolled his eyes and waited. He had no idea what he was going to say or do, but something had to be done. There was no reason why Harry should be behaving like this, and it was only giving Sirius more ammunition to teach another one of his children how to pout.

He tried to recall what his father would have done. There’s a thought - I could just ask Dad for some advice. But James immediately retracted that thought. He remembered that after that Howler in first-year, his father had sent along the Invisibility Cloak to aid in his discretion in the future. And he was a doting grandfather, especially since he never thought he’d be able to have kids and grandkids, and he could find no fault in Harry.

Harry finally walked into the kitchen, not even having the decency to look ashamed which only further ruffled James. He stood there, hands stuffed casually in his pockets, waiting to see what form of punishment his father would come up with.

–What have you done this time?”

Harry shrugged and smiled, then looked at Gareth. Everyone turned their attention to the little boy who said through sniffles, –He crept up behind me and scared me and made me upset my drink and it spilled on me and he told me the ghost in the attic above my room was going to steal me and I’d have to live with him as a ghost because I don’t really belong to this family! He said I was adopted from a nice ghost family and they want me back! But I don’t want to go! I like it here!”

Gareth dissolved into tears, held comfortingly by his mother. She soon set him up with a favourite Muggle movie of his to help calm him, and then returned to the kitchen to find there was an icy silence.

–It was just a joke, Dad. I didn’t think he’d take me seriously,” explained Harry, quickly realizing they meant business and he wouldn’t get off with simply a stern warning.

–No, you didn’t think. Maybe if you did you would have realized that he’s your younger brother and he looks up to you,” replied James. He ran a hand through his already messed hair again, letting out a heavy sigh.

Lily looked at her son and asked, –Harry, is there any particular reason you feel the need to torment your brother?”

Harry shrugged, but didn’t return her gaze. The truth was that he did have a reason - a pretty good one too. But there was no way he was telling his parents.

–What you need, young man, is a nice -”

–Padfoot,” James sternly warned Sirius. –I know exactly where you’re headed with this and that is the last thing my son needs.”

–Better than chasing one down for how many years? Seven?”

Harry watched and listened carefully. He had no doubt in his mind that Sirius was about to suggest finding a girl - he often did when James wasn’t around. But what was Sirius going on about chasing someone for seven years? Did he mean his dad? And was he talking about his mum or some other witch? Did his father get her in the end? Was there hope after all?

–Honey, Harry’s listening,” Lily said quietly to James. Then it struck her and she looked at him first with her eyes open in shock and understanding, then with them narrowed before starting to chuckle.

–Lily?”

–Harry, go over to Sirius’ and look after Emily for him while he comes over for a proper visit,” Lily told him, still chuckling to herself.

It was Harry’s turn to widen his eyes in shock. Babysit Emily? She could be like the devil himself when she was in a foul mood. And they wanted him to go over there by himself? Did they have a death wish for him?

–Don’t be so dramatic,” said James, noting the empty look on his face.

–And just think - she’s already got the Fanged Frisbee, moving piano, chucking stuffies, and throwing knives out of her system,” commented Remus cheerfully.

–That’s supposed to make me feel better?” cried Harry, already gearing up to protest.

–Nah, you’ll be fine,” said Sirius optimistically. –Come on over!”

Sirius’ head disappeared leaving Harry to look pleadingly at his parents, begging to be given any other punishment but this. Gaining no sympathy, though, he stepped into the grate, threw down some floo powder, and spoke Sirius’ address before disappearing in a whirl of green flames.

While they waited for Sirius, Lily set about getting supper prepared while James tried to pry information out of Remus about that witch in the robe shop that was interested in him.

With dinner ready, Lily packed some up for Harry and Emily then Apparated over to deliver it. On her return, she came with Sirius, both of whom couldn’t suppress their grins.

–You should have seen the look on poor Harry’s face, mates!” cried Sirius. He felt as though it must be his lucky day what with killing two owls with one stone - the punishment of both Harry and Emily.

–Before he left it looked as though you’d be locking him up with a Dementor,” said Remus, grateful of the change in conversation about the witch. It would already be hard enough trying to get away later that evening to see her for drinks at the Leaky Cauldron.

They all ate supper, Sirius catching up with everyone, Dani telling everyone what she had read from her books so far and how wonderfully excited she was to finally got to Hogwarts, and James trying once again to at least find out the name of Remus’ friend.

The table was later cleared and the kids were now watching a movie, so Remus got straight to the point and asked Lily why she’d been laughing earlier.

–Because he’s so much like his father,” she answered with a smile.

–I don’t see anything wrong with that seeing how well I turned out,” said James.

–Hey - at least you know he’s yours, mate,” Sirius said to him.

Remus seemed to understand, though, because he asked her, –What gave it away?”

–Gareth.”

–Ah, his hair.”

James and Sirius looked at each other, neither of them following along and feeling like they’d missed something in class for not paying attention.

–You’re right - Harry’s just like him,” said Remus, looking at Lily and not knowing if she recognized another similarity. He shook his head and his mind returned to their time at Hogwarts and to all of the mischief they had managed.

–Yeah, I think we’ve established that, but I’ve been wondering - do you suppose Harry’s like you in any way, Prongs? I’ve often wondered,” Sirius said sarcastically.

–What?” James asked Lily. She had been looking at him with a grin.

She only answered by saying, –I love you.”

–Now she tells me.”

–If she hasn’t told you before now after bearing three of your children, I think we need to sit and have a little chat,” said Remus.

–Same old James,” said Lily, patting his face fondly. Then looking at him seriously, she said, –Your son has a crush.”

–On who? Emily?” asked James, completely bewildered.

–What?” cried Sirius, immediately going into his protective father mode.

–Are you honestly this blind? Have you never noticed Harry’s eagerness to go over to the Weasley’s place?” asked Remus, wondering how they pulled off their NEWTs all those years ago.

–Yeah - he’s friends with Ron and wants to visit,” replied James.

–And those brilliant twin brothers of his,” added Sirius. He could still remember the day he received that signed toilet lid. It was one of his prouder moments as both a Marauder and his godfather. He would have framed it had that not been a weird and dirty object to hand on your wall.

–Yes, and he always comes home with a note from Molly informing us they were bothering the youngest sibling again,” said Lily. Every time without fail there had been a letter saying how they picked on Ron’s sister.

–Well then he need to toughen up,” said James.

–Yes, but he isn’t the youngest sibling,” Remus informed his friend.

–Then she need to find some mates her own age and get out of the way,” replied Sirius. –Hang on - since when have the Weasley’s had a daughter?”

Lily pinched the bridge of her nose and sighed. She couldn’t believe how thick the two of them were being. And they called themselves fathers?

James, knowing he had missed something but for the life of him couldn’t figure out what it was, dutifully stood behind his wife and began massaging her shoulders. He knew she could never resist his touch.

–Prongs, Harry fancies Ginny, Ron’s younger sister, that’s why he like going over - so he can see her,” said Remus.

–And he’s trying to get her attention by annoying her? Where did he get that idea?” asked James. It was a terrible plan that would never work.

–Wow,” was all Sirius could say having finally cottoned on. –Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.”

–What? I’m not . . . oh,” said James, finally understanding. Had he really been so naïve when he was younger? Looking back, it was no wonder why Lily was always driven away. Forget that - it was a wonder she ever agreed to go out with him at all.

–And he can’t just ask her out because she’s twelve and boys still have cooties,” explained Remus. HE had lightly teased Dani if there were any boys, but she promptly told him that boys were gross. It made him laugh remembering how afterward Dani had put her hands on her hips, much like Lily would, and asked what kind of a girl he thought she was.

–You should invite this Ginny character over to visit Dani,” suggested Sirius. It would be amusing to see how Harry would react. –They are similar in age.”

–Instigator,” mumbled Remus. He knew his friend still liked to wind people up and watch the explosion. Although a small part of him, buried deep down with his Marauder qualities, was curious and secretly wanted to see what Harry would do and if he’d be any smarter than his father.

–Hypocrite,” Sirius shot back. –I see that look in your eyes. You’re just as interested as I am. Admit it!”

–Stop acting like a child, Padfoot,” said James, smirking at his friend’s reaction. Sirius glared at James who only stared back resulting in a staring contest.

–Merlin - not this again!” sighed Lily. They were getting absolutely nowhere and it was getting late.

Remus watched as the two men tried not to blink, their eyes getting red and dry from the lack of moisture. He suddenly banged his fist on the table causing both of them to blink and Remus laughed in triumph.

–Well I say he just leaves her alone and waits until they’re a bit older,” said James, returning to their previous conversation.

–I think he should snog her, then ignore her. It’ll drive her crazy when he stops paying attention to her when she’s realized she likes him,” replied Sirius. He always found that to be the case in his experience.

–Or it could infuriate her more and make her even more annoyed,” said Lily. She knew first-hand it wouldn’t work.

–And yet here you are, happily married to the bullying toerag himself, three kids later,” commented Remus.

James turned to her with a satisfied smile on his face as if challenging her to deny any of it as untrue.

–But it took him how long to get that to happen?” she responded, not breaking eye contact with her husband.

–Anyway, has the godfather decided how to deal with Harry?” asked Remus, looking at his watch and seeing he would have to leave soon.

–The godfather has decided that he’s found his new babysitter,” answered Sirius, glad to have thought of the punishment for the two of them.

–So long as your house doesn’t burn to the ground,” said Lily casually, pointing her wand to start the dishes.

Trying not to look worried, Sirius stood to leave and informed them he’d be over for supper the following evening with Emily before leaving. Remus also made his leave, hoping his reason for going didn’t tip James or Lily off as to where he was going or who he would be seeing.

As the last of the dishes were put away, the fireplace once again flashed green and Harry walked out looking exhausted.

–Don’t ever make me do that again,” he told his parents flatly. –All she does is cause mayhem. She wouldn’t listen to me at all.”

–Makes you think twice about disobeying me, huh?” said James, satisfied some good may have come out of this. He then realized that they hadn’t settled their bet, but was sure that he was having the harder time with Harry compared to Sirius with Emily.

Harry tried not to glare, praying that what Sirius said about being the regular sitter was a joke. But it wasn’t and Harry left the kitchen feeling put off and wondering how best he should go about getting back at the lot of them without getting caught or punished.

--------
End Notes:
I'd love to hear what you thought so please leave a comment!
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=93397