Close by Secret Marauder 90
Summary: Lily Evans never let anyone get truly close to her. Not since her sister refused to accept who she was. Not since her best friend rejected her because of blood status. Not since the one boy she let get near enough cheated on her.

Now, as Head Girl, she is required to work with the Head Boy. As their working relationship deepens, James is made increasingly aware of Lily's tendency to push him away despite a connection that seems to be drawing them closer.

Can Lily let go of the past and let James be the one to get close to her?
Categories: James/Lily Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: No Word count: 6705 Read: 4165 Published: 10/01/15 Updated: 10/12/15

1. Chapter 1 by Secret Marauder 90

2. Chapter 2 by Secret Marauder 90

3. Chapter 3 by Secret Marauder 90

Chapter 1 by Secret Marauder 90
--------

Lily sat in the Heads’ compartment alone. She had been made Head Girl earlier in the summer and now, on the first of September, she had arrived extra early to settle herself in and meet the Head Boy before they addressed the other prefects.

As she sat making bubbles appear out of the tip of her wand, Lily’s thoughts went unwillingly to her rather lonely summer. Petunia had long since ceased to want contact with her, but Lily had never minded much because she could still hang out with Severus Snape during the summer. But last year he had called her an unforgivable name and Lily had once again found herself without a confidante, someone close to her she could tell everything to.

Shortly into the summer before her sixth year, she had come across Alan, a boy from the year above her in Gryffindor. They had hung out that summer and soon after returning to school he had asked her out. Lily was reluctant at first, the last person she had become close to having backstabbed her because of her Muggle blood. Gradually, though, she opened up and he started to get to know her. Things had been great between them as Alan stepped in to replace Snape.

Around her seventeenth birthday, on her way to the kitchens for a late-night snack, her heart broke as she caught Alan behind a statue with Francis Weatherall, a Hufflepuff girl in his Care of Magical Creatures class. He hadn’t seen her, but it didn’t matter because Lily broke up with him the next morning. So now with no Petunia, no Snape, and no Alan, her summer had been a lonely one.

The sound of a few voices outside the train and on the platform brought Lily back. She once again began to prepare mentally when someone walked into the compartment.

–Oh, hello, Potter. What do you want?” she asked, but not unkindly.

–I needed to speak with the Head Girl,” he replied. When she asked how he knew it was her, he pointed to the badge pinned to her chest. –Hey, is everything alright?”

James had come to the compartment expecting the usually cheerful Lily, quickly turning sour at the look of him. Though last year things had mellowed and everything was rather mild between them. But he hadn’t expected to see a strange look on her face, a weird sort of detachment behind her eyes.

Quick as he noticed it, the look was gone. Lily seemed to have pulled herself together and was asking, –So what can I do for you, Potter?”

This made James smile a little as he said, –First of all, I think we can drop the surname thing. How long have we known each other?”

–Long enough.”

–Exactly. Secondly, we’re supposed to talk,” he continued, his smile growing at her confusion. Reaching into his pocket, he pulled out a badge identical to Lily’s and said, –Yeah, I’m Head Boy.”

–But how? You’re not a prefect,” she blurted out.

James shrugged and said, –Dumbledore must’ve seen something in me.”

Lily stared as James put the badge back in his pocket. He seemed embarrassed about it and didn’t want to parade around wearing it. She continued to stare, her mouth slightly ajar, all thoughts of preparing to greet the prefects forgotten.

–So are we supposed to just say hi and tell them to patrol the corridors or is there something else we have to do?” asked James, sitting down across from Lily and looking expectantly at her. He’d never been to one of these meetings and wasn’t sure how they were done.

–Er, that depends.”

–On?”

–On us. Whether we want to give a more detailed meeting now or later at school,” answered Lily, the shock slowly wearing off. She had at least closed her mouth.

–So what do you think?”

Again, Lily looked at him. He was being oddly helpful and it was unsettling her. But she had to admit that the year would go by much smoother if she had this to work with and not his previous self.

Looking at her watch and noting the amount of students on the platform boarding the train, she said, –I think that we haven’t discussed anything worth mentioning yet and should just do the big one later.”

She stood up, James copying her, and they left to go to the larger prefects’ compartment. It was an odd choice for Dumbledore to have made given that he chose a Head Boy with no experience as a prefect, not to mention his track record in detention.

–So when did you want to talk about the big meeting stuff?” asked James, taking another stab at some conversation. As he put his hands in his pockets, his on hand curled around the badge. He still couldn’t believe how much responsibility he had been entrusted with.

–Well, the Head compartment will be empty for the rest of the ride,” she suggested. –But if you want to sit with your mates we could just meet some time later in Gryffindor.”

Lily said all this as they approached the prefect compartment, purposely not looking at him. She had long since realized that eye contact was very personal. They showed expression of feelings on a level that scared her a bit. And she neither knew nor cared what James Potter’s eyes had to say.

–Sure. Whatever works best for you,” answered James. He saw a lot of his friends over the summer and they shared a dormitory all year, so there was really nothing to catch up on.

Lily thought about this. She had owled with her roommates, but hadn’t seen them since their last train ride. Then again, they were roommates and could therefore talk all night, whereas there were certain people she would prefer not to see for the moment.

–How about a little later on, when the food trolley has come?” she suggested.

James just had time to agree before he was opening the door to the compartment for her. Looking around, it was still rather empty, but he did see Remus talking to a few prefects from their year. He excused himself and headed over to his friend.

Now that James had left her side, Lily didn’t know what to do with herself. It had been unusually pleasant speaking with him. There were still five minutes before the train was to leave and she had been rather distant with the other prefects toward the end of last year. So she sat down, took out her wand, and began making bubbles again, not noticing the strange look James was giving her.

As the compartment filled, many people congratulated Lily on the appointment, asking how her summer was, and then finding a seat. Some shared a joke with James on how he had managed his badge.

Finally, the train lurched and they began moving as the last few prefects came in. Lily stood up and James made his way over to her. They greeted them, the prefects were all introduced for the new-comers’ benefit, James included, and a schedule was made for corridor patrol. Soon everyone was rising and Lily watched as they all left.

–See you later, Potter,” she called out as James left with Remus, just to confirm.

–That’s James to you,” he replied with a grin. –And I’ll bring some chocolate.”

Lily smiled and shook her head at that last comment, then left with the stragglers. She had left her trunk in a compartment having arrived so early, hoping her roommates would find it and save the compartment.

Nearing the door, Lily paused just out of eyesight. She could hear deep voices inside in addition to the more familiar higher ones. Praying that maybe someone had brought a boyfriend or a brother and that they weren’t some undesirable Slytherins, she braced herself and went to open the door.

When she opened it, she found that not only had her roommates found the compartment with her trunk, but so had James’. They were all sitting around chatting away about their summers comfortably. Lily didn’t know how to respond and so she continued to stand in the doorway, the door still left open behind her.

–Evans, grab a seat!” cried Sirius, patting the one next to him. When she gave in a sceptical look, he added, –It’s either here or you can sit over there with Prongs.”

–You know what, I think I will,” she told him, finally closing the door and taking her seat next to James. –You have that look on your face that screams of trouble.”

Sirius’ friends laughed at him knowing full well he did have something planned, no matter how much he spluttered against the accusation. Then James said quietly near Lily’s ear, –Sorry about this. Apparently there was nowhere else to sit.”

Lily turned her head to respond and that’s when their eyes met for the briefest of moments, her response caught in her throat. But before either of them could comment on it, her roommate Bernie said from Lily’s other side, –So Lily, have you managed to successfully turn your sister’s whatever-he-is into a platypus and get away with it?”

Her roommates had often heard of Petunia’s boyfriend over the past few years and all agreed that he would be much more interesting to them as a platypus, although Helen had often made the argument for a lemur. The boys, on the other hadn’t, had never heard of such a strange comment, least of all one suggesting Lily use magic in such a way against a Muggle.

–Evans?” asked Peter in disbelief.

–What - you don’t think I’d hex Snape if he didn’t walk through the door?” asked Lily defensively.

–You wouldn’t hurt a fly,” reasoned Sirius. She had always come to Snivelly’s defense, not to join in. And she was a prefect meant to stop that sort of thing.

–I beg to differ,” commented James. He had been on the receiving end of a few of her spells and knew that she didn’t hold back. If this guy was as horrible as Bernie said, he wouldn’t put it past Lily to at least plot his demise, even if she never acted on it.

Lily gave him a look of gratitude mixed with something else James couldn’t quite place. But once again, their momentary eye contact was disrupted, this time by the food trolley.

Helen immediately bounced up to get a handful of licorice wands, Bertie Bott’s, and some Drooble’s while Remus did his best to carry an armful of chocolate. Having fully loaded their compartment with sweets, everyone began eating their fill.

Not much later, Viola and Laura, two more of Lily’s roommates, opened the door to join them. Viola asked, –Where are you two going?” James and Lily had both stood up to leave. They never did things together, they barely got along last year, and they saw no reason why they should be leaving the compartment together.

–Heads meeting,” answered Lily, grabbing a few cauldron cakes to go.

–You mean he’s been made . . . and you two will have to work together all year?” Laura asked, unable to believe it.

Neither James not Lily responded when they left, but they were sure the moment they were out of earshot the two would explode with gossip. It was common knowledge that James fancied Lily, and it was equally as common knowledge that every time he asked her out she had turned him down. Viola and Laura were known as the romantics of their dormitory, and really of Gryffindor in general, and they would no doubt be playing them up as a future couple. But Lily knew better.

She’d had nothing but grief since she and Snape had stopped being friends, and when Alan had cheated on her, she vowed not to let anyone that close to her again. No matter how much she would have to work with James over the upcoming year, theirs would only be a working relationship. He could be as civil and charming as he wanted because Lily was determined to keep him at arm’s length.

--------
End Notes:
So what do you think of it so far? I like hearing your comments, whether you loved it or hated it.
Chapter 2 by Secret Marauder 90
Author's Notes:
Still the first day, just later at night. Taken from both Lily and James' perspectives.
--------

No matter how hard Lily tried, she couldn’t get to sleep. It had been a busy first day and it still kept replaying in her mind. Her meeting with James on the train had lasted the rest of the ride to Hogwarts and he had been full of suggestions. A little unconventional, but then again he was an unconventional Head. They had rounded up first-years for the boats and managed to share the carriage ride up to the school along with his friends and Helen.

The feast had been spectacular as usual, all of the Gryffindor seventh-years seated beside and across from each other. When it finished, James and Lily had been about to collect some first-years to take to their common room when Professor McGonagall told them to meet her in her office. Apparently she was unconvinced that they would cooperate under a shared headship despite what Dumbledore had told her, but the two assured her they could.

Back in the Gryffindor common room, James and Lily returned to find their roommates all lounging in armchairs by the fire. It seemed they would be seeing a lot more of each other if this were to continue.

And now she lay on her bed in the dark, hoping the others were asleep. But she was to have no such luck as someone waved their wand to turn the lights back on and everyone sat up in bed.

–So what did you and Potter talk about on the train?” asked Viola in a slightly demanding way. There was no being subtle with her.

–Yeah, what took you so long? We kept waiting for you to return,” said Bernie, climbing out of her sheets to sit at the foot of her bed.

–We made plans for the school year . . . it’s not what you think,” Lily added when she saw Laura and Viola exchange glances. –Meeting stuff with the prefects, bouncing around ideas, things like that. James seemed to be full of them.”

It took all of Lily’s strength not to roll her eyes or become cross with everyone when they started gushing. He had never been called James before, so this was a big deal. It didn’t matter that it had been more of a challenge when he suggested first names; the fact remained that she had agreed and that it wasn’t just to his face but also more privately.

–Honestly, you guys. We have to work together because of Dumbledore,” said Lily, not succumbing to the smile that wanted to come.

–Oh, come on, Lily. Even you have to admit that he’s a dish,” said Helen. –You can’t say that he’s not fit and that his voice doesn’t make you want to melt.”

–Make me want to melt?” repeated Lily. Where did they come up with these things? And why was she always the topic of discussion, and always in relation to James?

–We all saw the way you looked at him,” said Bernie. –You know, right after you chose to sit next to him instead of Sirius, after James said something to you.”

This time Lily did roll her eyes. She couldn’t help but say, –And what about you and Remus Lupin, Bernie? Does he know your real name yet?”

Bernie’s cheeks reddened at this comment. She loathed her name and continually wondered what mother on earth would ever name their child Laburnum. It was always a topic closed for discussion, particularly where Remus was concerned. She had been harbouring a crush on him for a few years now.

While this didn’t erase their questions regarding James and Lily, her roommates did know when they were being dismissed. Knowing Lily’s past rants about James, they wisely dropped the matter and changed the subject, though it was hardly forgotten.

–Yeah, Bernie,” said Laura, also getting out from under her bed to sit cross-legged. –You’ve liked him for ages. When are you going to ask him out?”

–I’m sure he’ll say yes. He’s definitely opened up to us more,” said Helen.

–You think?” Bernie asked hopefully. –He’s always so quiet and keeps to himself. How can you be sure?”

–Are you completely blind, Bern? He couldn’t take his eyes off you earlier,” said Laura, exaggerating slightly but still getting the point across.

As the girls continued to encourage Bernie how great Remus was and how they would be so cute together, Lily laid back down again pretending to sleep. Either they weren’t fooled or they didn’t care because they continued talking. It was something Helen was saying that made Lily sit back up.

–Then you could go on double dates with James and Lily,” she concluded happily.

–And when are these fictitious dates to be happening, because nobody informed me of them,” Lily said. She tried to keep her voice level, but even she could hear the chill in it.

–Oh, be reasonable, Lily. She only meant that it would be a cute idea,” said Viola matter-of-factly. –You obviously don’t like that idea and wouldn’t let that happen, so no worry. Your attitude today just gives some a sort of . . . an idea that it could be possible.”

–Don’t be mad, Lily. He’s just so eligible and -”

–Smitten?” Bernie interrupted, holding back a smirk.

–No - well, yes - but I was going to say . . . I don’t remember. Anyway, he’s a good match, so why can’t it be with you?” Laura challenged her.

Lily didn’t answer; she just sat there staring at her sheets. Eventually the girls bade each other goodnight again, turned the lights off, and went to sleep, but Lily remained sitting upright, thinking.

The question that was plaguing Lily was, Why not? Why, as Laura had stated, couldn’t it be with her? He was a good match and she wasn’t merely thinking of his money and blood status. He was smart, athletic, and quite charming when he wanted to be. And she hated Helen at the moment for even mentioning how attractive he was and his voice too! She wouldn’t entertain the thought until it was brought to her attention having firmly become deaf at any mention of him in the past.

So what was holding her back? There was no question about Lily’s answer. She had hated Snape for proving her wrong in sticking up for him, for thinking so little of the friendship that had meant so much to her. And she hated how she had allowed Alan to trick her into trusting him and that all the time they’d spent together was all just a lie.

This was why Lily was so resistant and stubborn. Every close relationship she’d ever had had fallen down and hit her in the face, even her sister Petunia, her own flesh and blood. If all closeness was ever going to get her was hurt, then she wanted no part in it. It was for these reasons James Potter would have to be content with a casual friendship because she didn’t want to get hurt by him most of all.

* * *

In the boys’ dormitory, the four seventh-year Gryffindors were huddled around an old bit of parchment as they gathered on Sirius’ bed. There were black markings all over it showing it to be a map. It was labelled with many dots, each with their own respective name. The cluster of dots they were looking at happened to be not far from their own dots, and they were still moving which told the boys they were still awake.

–I bet they’re talking about us,” Peter said obviously.

–More likely about Prongs and Evans,” corrected Sirius, giving his friend a sly smile. They’d been privy to more discussions on her than they cared to admit, but they still couldn’t help rubbing in the fact of earlier that day.

–How do you know it’s not about Moony and Bernie?” asked James defiantly. To Remus he said, –We know you’re keen on her, so why don’t you ask her out? Looks like she’d say yes if today’s anything to go by.”

True to his form, Remus denied any of this and said, –Don’t change the subject, James. Really, what’s going on with you two?”

James sighed. He honestly had no idea. There were times when they were getting along just fine and he felt comfortably in calling them friends, even after this one day. There were also moments where he would catch her eye and think that maybe there could be something more than just friendship. And just as quickly the look would change and Lily would become distant and withdrawn putting into question whether they could ever be friends.

There were things going on with Lily that James didn’t know about. But he had learned a long time ago not to be pushy with her. Her issues were her own and if she needed or wanted help, she would ask. For now, he would have to be content with making a solid friendship, or at least the start of one.

–She’s not interested,” James finally said, not looking at any of them and fumbling with the badge still in his pocket instead. He hadn’t changed yet, not sure if he could even get to sleep at that moment.

–Why, did she say something?” asked Sirius, his brows furrowing. He wasn’t exactly upset, but he would have thought that she would be more willing now that Snivelly wasn’t whispering in her ear what a git he thought James was.

–No. I could just tell,” answered James. –It was in the look she gave me. There was something in her eyes that was . . . I don’t know, I can’t place it. She seemed frightened or sad or . . . something.”

They watched as James struggled to stay calm. He was fidgety as he tried not to pace, and the back of his hair was standing on end more than usual.

–I actually got the impression that she was avoiding eye contact with me. Every time she accidentally caught my eye she would look away and be really . . . almost shy,” said James a little sadly.

The other three boys looked at each other. They didn’t know what to say that hadn’t already been said before. But they knew James wasn’t about to give up, he was too optimistic for that.

Eventually Remus said, –I think she just needs time, James. Things have happened and maybe she’s just a little lost at the moment. She needs to figure out a new course and I’m not blaming you, but maybe you’ve just thrown a dungbomb into her cauldron when she thought she had a plan.”

–What’ve I done?”

–Well I don’t think she counted on you. There was never any reason for you to be in her life before, but now you’re both Heads. You have to work together in a way you never had to before, and I’m guessing you’re not turning out to be the person she expected. In a good way, I mean.”

At these words, Remus got up and began preparing for bed. Peter also rose to get ready, and Sirius put his hand consolingly on James’ shoulder before going to put his pyjamas on. James was left staring at the map, watching the girls’ dots slowly grow still just as theirs were. He then wiped the map clean and put it away as he, too, got ready for bed.

Even after the lights went out and the dormitory filled with light snoring, James lay awake staring at the top of his bed. Had he messed up Lily’s plans? He hadn’t intended on it. James knew it was going to be tough having her see reason, but he had never truly appreciated how hard that task was going to be until now. His last thought before drifting off to sleep was whether he’d ever get close enough to Lily to let him in.

--------
End Notes:
I'd still love to hear everyone's thoughts! It should get a bit more interesting soon.
Chapter 3 by Secret Marauder 90
--------

As classes began, the students fell into the routine of attending classes, eating, and doing homework. The library slowly became fuller and fuller as the workloads increased. The common rooms were remaining occupied much later into the nights.

Lily was one of these students. As Head Girl there were certain other things that she also had to do, such as hold periodic meetings for the prefects, tutor younger students, patrol the corridors at night, and coordinate all of this with the Head Boy.

Sometimes those meetings with James were rather enjoyable. He had a fantastic sense of humour and his easy-going manner made the weight of everything much lighter. Even the most mundane of tasks were more interesting with him. But he had the unfortunate habit of looking at her in the eye when speaking to her and it always made her shift uncomfortably and answer him by looking at his face in general, a most convenient way to give the impression of eye contact.

Near the end of September, they were discussing their latest task in Charms as they patrolled, the topic of homework being a safe one for Lily. As they rounded the corner somewhere on the first floor, the remark Lily had been about to make was forgotten as she stiffened. There, half-way along the corridor, was a small group of Slytherins huddled together.

Lily noticed out of the corner of her eye that James’ hand went to his pocket where she knew he kept his wand but was relieved when, instead of attacking, he cleared his throat and said, –It’s after hours. You three should be in your common room by now.”

One of the students, to Lily’s slight horror, was Snape. He replied, –Says who?”

–Go back to your dormitories or we’ll have to give you a detention,” warned Lily, hoping her voice didn’t sound too high or shaky. The sooner they cleared off, the sooner she could breathe properly.

–Or what?” sneer Evan Rosier, his hand reaching for his own wand. –Your boyfriend here going to make me?”

The other two sniggered at this comment; meanwhile Lily felt her hand tightening around her wand and knew that James’ was too. The Slytherins seemed in the mood for trouble and Lily didn’t want to find herself unprepared.

But when they made no move toward the dungeons, James said in a stronger voice, –Go back to your common room. Now.”

–Hey, Pothead, has the Mudblood told you what she thinks of you or has she been lying and said she trusts you?” asked Snape, ignoring their warnings.

James’ face darkened, but he kept his head. He knew Snape was just trying to antagonize him into starting a fight, but he wouldn’t excuse his foul mouth. His demand for an apology, though, was laughed at.

–This is your last warning. Leave now or it’s detention for a week,” said Lily, paying no attention to the comment but visibly struggling to remain calm. It was enough of an effort that sparks flew unwillingly out of the end of her wand. She saw, with satisfaction, the look on Snape’s face falter for a moment.

–Come on, it stinks of Mudblood in here,” said the youngest one, whom James recognized as Sirius’ younger brother, Regulus.

The three turned and stalked off toward the dungeons, but not before Snape threw them a threatening look. Before they had left the corridor, Lily whirled around and walked away quickly in the opposite direction, leaving James behind. He caught up with her in no time and asked, –What was that about?”

Lily ignored him and continued toward a stairway and began climbing. She was upset with Snape, but even more upset with herself for not just punishing them as she knew she should have. Were it any other student in the school, they would have landed themselves a detention in the blink of an eye.

–Talk to me, Lily. Why didn’t you just give them the detention?” asked James, reaching his hand out to her shoulder to stop her once on the next floor. –What happened?”

–Never mind,” she said curtly, trying to twist away. But James was able to hold on, so she looked at him and demanded, –What?”

James was caught off guard. Lily hadn’t been this fierce in a long time, and even longer since directing it towards him. He let go of her and said gently, –I was just wondering if you were okay and wanted to know if I could help in any way.”

–I’m fine,” she muttered, slightly ashamed of her outburst.

Crossing his arms, James said, –Okay.”

Nothing about this tone convinced Lily he was buying her answer. She looked at him, careful to avoid his eyes, and said with more conviction, –Really, I’m fine.”

–Okay,” repeated James. –I believe you.”

–No, you don’t, or you wouldn’t be asking,” said Lily, flaring up again. –Did Snape hit a nerve, or are you just being nosy?”

James scowled and began walking away. He didn’t want to deal with Lily’s mood and didn’t feel he deserved it. Only she would get upset over receiving help.

Now that she was there, Lily didn’t feel like sitting back and was ready to fight. Why, she didn’t know, but she was not about to let James walk away when she was so upset.

–Is this your idea of helping, because it’s pathetic,” she said to him.

–Well, you obviously don’t need help if you’re so fine,” he called over his shoulder as he continued to walk down the corridor.

Lily didn’t like this answer and replied, –I thought you didn’t believe me.”

–Then please, enlighten me,” he said angrily. He had stopped to face her now and watched as she approached him so as not to yell.

Lily reached James and was standing in front of him, staring up at him. It was at this moment that she realized just how tall he had grown, remembering the times they were close to the same height when they were younger. When she looked into his face, she also noticed his eyes, more clearly than she had on the train. They were hazel. And though his face showed anger and frustration with her, it didn’t reach his eyes. There was only concern there.

This all caught Lily off guard. She couldn’t remember the mean words she intended to say. In all the confusion, she was losing herself in his eyes as they grew softer and gentler the longer she stared into them. But this isn’t supposed to be happening, a small part at the back of her mind tried to remind her.

When she finally did look away, it was with a much sadder expression. She told him quietly, –You wouldn’t understand.”

James wasn’t prepared for this answer, and she was about to walk away when he said, –Try me.”

She looked back at him and saw he said it with an air of challenge. He stood there now looking defiantly at her, seeing if she would indeed back down.

Crossing her arms to match his, she said to him, –Snape gets to me, alright? I don’t know why, but he does. He has ever since the end of fifth year.”

–I thought you were friends. What happened?” asked James, more out of curiosity than throwing it in her face. He was also uncomfortable because it was partially his fault the incident even occurred.

–You happened. I couldn’t ever forgive him for using that word, but I can’t seem to forget about it either,” she said truthfully, bringing her arms down. She didn’t know why she was telling him all this. She’d never told anyone really, but it seemed easy to do with him.

–I’m sorry, Lily, I really am. He was your best friend and I had no reason to question it or call you out on it,” James said after a moment’s pause, all anger gone.

–No, you were right. He didn’t really care about me or our friendship, but I couldn’t see that until it was too late,” replied Lily who was now staring at her feet and looking so small. She was shocked that James was apologizing for what happened so long ago now, even if she had forgiven him of his gaff nearly as long.

James stepped forward and reached out his hand to her shoulder, but thought better of it and pulled it back at the last second. Instead, he said, –That still doesn’t excuse the way he treated you - how he still treats you . . . And for the record, I was only trying to help at that time by the lake.”

I know, Lily thought, but couldn’t seem to say out loud. She managed a weak smile at him before they headed back to their common room in silence.

Back in Gryffindor Tower, nothing was mentioned of their conversation. James understood she told him all that in confidence and wouldn’t dare jeopardize this small step by telling people where it wasn’t their business to begin with. Lily’s roommates never knew of her ongoing inner conflict, only the superficial details, and she saw no need for having to inform them of it now.

Nothing had really changed between the two of them anyway. She had only told him something on a dare; it wasn’t as if she poured out the secrets of her heart to him. It was still that awkward, formal, working relationship which happened to mean they saw a lot of each other outside of classes.

It was in this atmosphere a few weeks later that James told her he wanted to have a sudden meeting with her about an idea. Lily already felt busy enough without having to schedule in impromptu meetings. Not to mention they’d had one not too long ago.

When Lily walked into her dormitory, she was still muttering darkly any random threat that popped in her head. She ignored the stares from her roommates as she scrounged around in her trunk for parchment, a quill, and some ink, still mumbling about James and his blasted schemes. Finally leaving with the necessary supplies, Lily had the distinct impression that they were now talking about her behind the closed door but shrugged it off without further thought.

Down in the common room, she set everything up and looked expectantly at James. It had been his idea to talk in the first place.

–So what brilliant idea do you have that can’t wait for out next scheduled meeting?” she asked, emphasizing the word. There were far better things she could be doing at that moment, such as that foot-and-a-half length of parchment Slughorn was asking for.

–It’s about Christmas,” started James, adjusting himself more comfortably in his seat at their table by the window. The fire was too crowded for his liking at the moment.

–But that’s ages away! Can’t we at least wait until Halloween is over?” cried Lily. She liked to be on top of things as much as the next person, but this was taking things a bit too far.

–Can’t,” James said simply. –I’m thinking about it now and I’ll probably forget about it later.”

Lily stared at him for a moment. This was in all likelihood true, although she couldn’t understand why he didn’t just make a note of it to remind him. But she supposed he might as well continue since they were already there, so she motioned for James to go on.

–We should be more festive,” he announced, ignoring Lily’s raised eyebrows. –The Great Hall always looks fantastic, but the halls are dreary, and in here it looks like a herd of eleven-year-olds ran through, setting off slightly inadequate magic.”

–Which there has,” she commented.

–True, but I was thinking we should add more joy and festivity around here,” said James, now looking around the common room with an excited look on his face. –A tree there by the fire, some baubles along there and there, tinsel around the window . . .”

–And the other common rooms?”

–Oh, they can decorate too if they want,” he replied absent-mindedly. –And the corridors and classrooms too.”

Lily thought this wasn’t an entirely horrible idea. She loved Christmas and her home was always highly decorated, so making the school similarly set up would be great. She voiced her one concern and asked, –But who do we get to organize and decorate?”

–Us, of course,” James answered matter-of-factly. –The other prefects too. Maybe we can swing it by McGonagall to get those in detention to help out too. Without magic.”

–Oh, and since we’ve got that decided, we might as well do the same with Halloween and Valentine’s Day too,” Lily suggested sarcastically, but saw that James wasn’t taking it that way. –I’m kidding.”

–But why not? We love our holidays here; I don’t see why anyone would have a problem with the school reflecting this,” he insisted, pleased with Lily’s unintended addition. This was something he’d been thinking of for a long time and now he was in the position to make it happen.

Lily hesitated for a moment before resigning herself and giving in to his idea. She said, –Well, I’m sure Dumbledore wouldn’t object, so that means McGonagall couldn’t object.”

James then burst with a steady flow of ideas, now that she was on board. All the while, Lily listened and took down notes, knowing how James absolutely hated taking notes. His hand would always cramp and he usually forgot to write something down that was important.

They continued talking back and forth well into the night, late enough that the common room had emptied. That was when James made the suggestion of a trip to the kitchens for a snack.

–Come on, it’s late enough that nobody should be out,” he said excitedly. He couldn’t believe how splendidly they were getting on and wanted to prolong that time as much as he could.

–Including us,” Lily pointed out.

–Haven’t you ever snuck out after hours?” James wondered out loud, and then wished he hadn’t mentioned it. Lily’s face had fallen and she had that distant look in her eyes again. –I’m sorry, Lil, forget it. We don’t have to go if you don’t want to. Never mind what I said. It was a stupid suggestion.”

Lily nodded and stared at the fire, not making any comments. She knew James was disappointed, but she was oddly pleased that he was respecting her wishes. Last time she had gone down for a snack, the night hadn’t ended too well for her, and she was in no rush to repeat that feeling. But she could tell James was really put out and was trying not to let on. Not wanting to leave him like that, she said, –Maybe next time,” and put all the intent of doing so on her face making him give her a grateful smile.

--------
End Notes:
Again, any reviews would be lovely, even if you hate it!

At the moment I am stuck. I know where I'm going, but I'm not sure how exactly I'm going to get there. I haven't given up, though, so keep watching for the next chapter.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=93533