5 Simple Rules by anniePADFOOT
Summary: Hermione Granger lives her life by 5 simple rules. But what if in order to set things right, she has to go against the things she herself lay down? After all, everyone knows that rules are made to be broken… [H/Hr]
Categories: Harry/Hermione Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: Yes Word count: 12802 Read: 23238 Published: 11/08/04 Updated: 11/24/04

1. 5 Simple Rules Set by anniePADFOOT

2. Never be Ignorant to Something Obvious by anniePADFOOT

3. Never Turn Away From the Truth by anniePADFOOT

4. Never Stab A Friend in the Back by anniePADFOOT

5. Never Let the Family Know by anniePADFOOT

6. Never Fall in Love with one of Them by anniePADFOOT

5 Simple Rules Set by anniePADFOOT
Hermione Granger was bored. She sat on her bed, cross-legged with her back straight. Sitting on her bed in the girls’ sixth year dormitory of Hogwarts was oddly relaxing, but for no clear reason. Hermione had unpacked everything immediately, putting all her belongs into their correct places. She was satisfied with the neatness of her area, and had also re-filled the bathroom with her items, leaving plenty of room for the other girls, including Lavender Brown and Parvati Patil, whom although she wasn’t great friends with, she got along reasonably well.

Hermione had no idea what to do. Parvati and Lavender were out somewhere, probably gossiping about boys or something. The other Gryffindor sixth year girls… well, Hermione had no idea what they were doing, but they weren’t here, and Hermione had been left alone. Not that she particularly minded; being alone was rather refreshing. But it would have been nice if there was actually something to do for her, anything. A textbook to read, homework to do… she’d even settle for that. Of course, that was her usual activity anyway.

Harry and Ron were both at the Quidditch pitch, possibly their favourite place. And while Hermione enjoyed cheering until her voice gave out at the matches, she wasn’t quite as fond of actually participating in the sport… or even going near brooms.

Hermione felt way too lazy at the moment to go to the library and perhaps borrow some fine reading material. Besides, she had read nearly every book there anyway. Laying her head back onto her pillow, Hermione hit something. Something underneath it. Reaching her hand under it slowly, Hermione brought out a leather journal kept closed by a cord. It had Hermione written on the front in fancy, gold calligraphy, but other than that was completely plain. Her diary.

Hermione opened the ancient diary. She hadn’t looked through it for a long, long time. She hadn’t even written in it for a long, long time not since the end of fourth year. At that time, writing in her diary seemed like such a trivial thing. And it still did.

But it helped anyway.

Hermione needed to let go. There were just too many problems for her to face. Entering sixth year at Hogwarts was never easy. But Voldemort being after you and your best friends didn’t make it any better. So Hermione needed time to herself, time to relax. Time away from her boys.

Now she was going to remember what she had gone through, what things used to be like.

Opening the first page, she glanced at it, but flicked past it quickly. These pages were easier to turn, not heavy parchment, but light muggle paper. She kept flicking, until a page caught her eye…

Dear Diary “ July, 1990
Get this, diary! At first I didn’t believe it… who would? It all sounded like a ludicrous prank played on me, but it’s TRUE!

I’m a witch, diary.

Yes, a witch. Not like one from a story, with a hooked nose, warts and green skin. But I can do magic; spells, curses, charms, potions. Everything! Professor Dumbledore came down today, explaining it all. See, I had gotten a letter, but I didn’t believe it, I just put it away in my room, didn’t even show mum and dad. But he came he really came! He told us everything we needed to know!

On September 1st, instead of going to the Comprehensive School mum and dad had planned on, I’m going to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, where Professor Dumbledore is headmaster.

Why didn’t I know before? Professor Dumbledore said that even muggle-born children [like me] show signs of magic… and I didn’t even notice. Once mum and dad thought about it, they could see it. So why couldn’t I? But I can’t wait to get to Hogwarts, the school of magic. It’s going to be brilliant!

I will never again be ignorant to something obvious, the things around me, because I need to know. Never again

Hermione Granger


--

Interesting enough. There was something hidden here, and Hermione was determined to figure it out. She kept flipping until another page caught her eye. She had marked the last page she stopped at, and she marked this one also.

Dear diary “ Hogwarts, 1st year [1991 “ 1992]
Well, it’s the end of 1st year. Time has flown. But one thing I’ll remember forever, until I die. How we ended it, how You“Know“Who was defeated, yet again, by Harry Potter. I know what my fate is now, now that I’ve met Harry and Ron. I know what the fate of Ron is, and the fate of Harry.

Harry was destined for greatness; it was always meant to be him. Ron and I are the sidekicks, the helpers. And I knew that on the night of You“Know“Who’s plan. I knew that while we could help, and we did, Harry was meant to go on.

Ron let himself be injured, taken out of the game for Harry. And I helped him; I solved the riddle of the potions. But when I looked at him, I knew I wasn’t meant to go with him. It was the truth, no matter how much I didn’t want to face it; Harry had to go alone, face possible death alone. Without my help, without Ron’s help. He was the one. And it was hard to let him go, but I had to face the reality of that situation. So I let him.

It was hard, but I’ll never again turn away from the truth, just because I don’t like what I see. Never again

Hermione Granger


--

There was something that the entries she had stopped at had in common. Hermione just didn’t know what it was. But she would know, she would figure it out. Marking this page as well, she kept turning.

Dear diary “ Hogwarts, 2nd year [1993 “ 1993]
Muggle-borns and half-bloods are being petrified by some unknown force, as of yet. I am a muggle-born, and I’m proud of it, too. It happened before, years ago, too the same thing. And in the end, a girl died. Moaning Myrtle now haunts the girl’s toilets. I’m determined to find out what’s really going on.

I told mum and dad… bad move. They said I shouldn’t be at Hogwarts, asked me to come home. They don’t understand that this is where I belong. Magic is a part of me, and it just can’t be turned off like that. Thank god I didn’t give them the real details.

The more they know, the more they worry. And I’m scared that if they worry enough, they’ll come down here personally and yell for me. They’ll find me, even if they can’t see Hogwarts properly. And I’m not just worried about being ripped away from magic, but I’m worried for them. We all know it’s You-Know-Who behind it, and he’s after muggle-borns. So obviously, his tolerance for plain muggles isn’t high either.

They say they don’t want magic to come between us, but it already has. It did the second it entered my life. That won’t change. The last thing I want to do is endanger the ones I love. Me being a witch has done that enough.

I will never again let the family know what really happens in the world of magic. Never again

Hermione Granger


--

Hermione was digging deep into her memories, things that she didn’t necessarily want to bring up. But she had to. Something was calling her to do it.

Dear Diary “ Hogwarts, 3rd year [1993 “ 1994]
Well, we didn’t battle You“Know“Who this year. But Harry learned something else, something just as important. He learned about his parents. And his parents’ friends, namely James Potter’s best friend, Sirius Black. And the story of them, the Marauders.
And the betrayal.

The betrayal of Peter Pettigrew, one of the Marauders, close friend of James Potter, he who caused the death of Lily and James, who caused You“Know“Who to attack Harry.

I’ve seen how it can change the world, how a single betrayal can cause thousands of deaths. I just can’t believe it, though! Sirius Black, locked away for 12 years in Azkaban… and he was innocent. It’s awful. And it’s all thanks to Peter. It’s thanks to that rat that Harry doesn’t have parents, and that Remus and Sirius don’t have their best friend. And it’s his fault that Lily Potter is gone. It’s his entire fault, just because of one choice in which he decided that he wanted to betray the greatest friends he ever had.

How can someone just do that? Just become a traitor one day, betray innocent people? All they ever did was help him, accept him.

I will never stab a friend in the back, because I know what it can lead to

Hermione Granger


--

Hermione had come to the last page of her diary; this one was from before 1990 until 1995, and wasn’t overly thick. The last page had to be something special.

Dear Diary “ Hogwarts, 4th year [1994 “ 1995]
I have just confirmed the worst. Harry Potter, my best friend, is going to be Hogwarts Champion for the most dangerous event of the year, hosted at school. The Triwizarding Tournament. I don’t even want to think about what will happen to him.

But something else caught my eye. Ron is mad at Harry, and vice-versa. So how am I meant to pick between my 2 best friends? Ron expects me to go with him, while Harry wants my support too. So how am I meant to choose? I love them both with my whole heart, equally.

I sided with Harry this time, because I believed he was right. And Ron went off completely.
You ALWAYS side with him, Hermione! And other stuff like that. It’s ridiculous. I shouldn’t have to pick. They shouldn’t even fight; they should realize that they can’t afford to fight in the world we are living in. It’s too dangerous to waste time on arguments that have no meaning.

But I learnt something. I can never pick and win. It’s a lose-lose situation for me. So if I can’t pick a side in a petty argument, how am I meant to pick a side when something important happens?

I will never fall for one of
Them, Harry or Ron.

Hermione Granger


--

Hermione thought about all the pages she had read. There had been five pages. She went back to each one of them, observing it carefully. Then instinctively, she looked at the bottom of the page, just above where she signed off, Hermione Granger. That was it. They were all the same.

Almost mechanically, like she was under the control of something or someone, Hermione took out a clean square of parchment and her best quill. Then she began writing in her neat scrawl, the words slanting to the right slightly.

5 Simple Rules

Rule #1: Never be ignorant to something obvious

Rule #2: Never turn away from the truth

Rule #3: Never let the family know

Rule #4: Never stab a friend in the back

Rule #5: Never fall for one of Them


Hermione looked at the parchment, memorizing it almost. Five rules to live my life by, she thought to herself. Five simple rules. Then she got out her wand and cast various spells and charms on the parchment. It was very special indeed.

Then she cast the final spell, this one not for protection. This one was for something Hermione swore to herself would never happen.

In case she ever broke a rule, it would cross it out for her. Hermione hoped with her whole heart that there would never have a rule crossed out on this parchment.

Hermione tucked the parchment away safely. It would always be with her.

Now she could get on with things.

-----------------------------------

Thanks to Kris for the great beta job!
Never be Ignorant to Something Obvious by anniePADFOOT
After falling asleep the previous night with rules set, Hermione felt immediately better and more useful. Yesterday had been Friday… meaning today was Saturday, the weekend. No classes. And after this weekend, it was the one week Easter Break. Hermione did her usual routine of showering, dressing and having breakfast. Then she only had one place to go to…

The library.

She no longer felt lazy, like she had yesterday. She wanted to read something, something for entertainment, not for research. She hadn’t read something for entertainment in a long time. Too long, in Hermione’s opinion. So Hermione took herself down to the library, stealthy walking, keeping herself mostly hidden and inconspicuous, so that she would blend into the background. She didn’t want to be bothered at the moment.

She got to the library, said a quick hello to Madame Pince [who had become more of a friend to her than just a librarian] and settled down. She spread out her things on her favourite table and sank into the armchair next to it gracefully.

Before she selected an appropriate book, she had a quick peek at her parchment. The one that held her rules.

5 Simple Rules

Rule #1: Never be ignorant to something obvious

Rule #2: Never turn away from the truth

Rule #3: Never stab a friend in the back

Rule #4: Never let the family know

Rule #5: Never fall for one of them


She was still safe, still okay with herself. She hadn’t done anything wrong yet. Breathing a sigh of relief, Hermione folded the parchment back up, tucked it away, and reached for a book, any book. The book closest to her.

Without further ado, she began to read.

--

He observed her. She couldn’t see him… the perks of Invisibility Cloaks. And he just sat there, completely still, and watched her.

He watched the way she scrunched her brows, running an elegant finger down the page of a book. Then he watched as a smile lit up her beautiful face as she found what she was looking for. He saw her reach out for a quill and parchment, writing furiously in her neat, slanted scrawl. Then she quickly went back to the book, flipping the pages easily as she read swiftly.

And he just sat there and watched. He didn’t quite know why; subconsciously, he knew. But he wasn’t sure what he was really doing, why he was doing this. But he didn’t worry about it, just enjoyed the moment, sat, and watched.

It was a good thing he was invisible, too. Because he wasn’t alone in the library, watching this girl. There was someone else here, too. Fortunately, it was also someone unseen. It was a good thing this boy was so obsessed in watching the girl that he did not study his surroundings, or he may have noticed the other figure doing the exact same thing as he was.

The other was just sitting there watching her. With no Invisibility Cloak to shield him, he hid away cleverly, so that while he could see her, she could not see him.

He also watched, watched the same thing the other boy watched. He watched her long, thick curls fall over her face. He watched how she pushed it backward impatiently; numerous times before getting out a bobble and tying it back roughly. Then he watched her almost growl in annoyance as a wisp of hair fell out of her ponytail and in her face.

And as the girl sat, she had no idea that two boys were watching her, admiring her every move. She didn’t know, even when it was so clear, that two boys were falling.

Falling for her.

--

Hermione’s eyes dropped heavily. She had been in the library all day, not even stopping to get lunch. She had been much too absorbed in her books. But she was getting tired, although she refused to admit it. Her eyes were slowly closing, and she fell into a peaceful sleep.

“Come on Hermione… I won’t do anything, I swear!” Ron begged. Harry was laughing next to him, knowing he was fighting a losing battle.

“No, Ron. I am NOT getting on a broom with you!” Hermione snapped back. She had no desire to die today, or even experience Ron showing off on his broom with her gripping onto him for dear life.

“Ron, mate… give it up,” Harry began, still chuckling slightly. An irritated Ron turned to him,

“I’d like to see you do any better!” Ron said loudly, walking off in a huff.

“So, Hermione… care to prove Ron wrong?” Harry asked as soon as Ron was out of the earshot. Hermione grinned, knowing what was coming.

“No thanks, Harry. While I’d love to annoy Ron even more, I’d fear for my life,” Hermione replied impishly.

“Oh come on… you trust me, don’t you? I won’t do anything,” Harry put on his best puppy dog look and Hermione felt herself melting.

“Fine… but only for a few minutes,” she said reluctantly. Harry grinned and hopped on his broom, and waited for Hermione to do the same. Hermione sighed and climbed on, gripping Harry tightly.

“Don’t worry. I won’t let anything happen to you,” Harry said softly as they took off. Hermione loosened her grip on Harry slightly when she saw he didn’t have anything dangerous planned. They weren’t going too high, or too fast. Hermione was actually kind of enjoying it.

Sighing she leaned her head on Harry’s back and closed her eyes. At least Harry wouldn’t nearly kill her with dangerous stunts… Ron on the other hand, might have. His heart was in the right place, but he tended to go overboard. But Harry did it just right.

They flew like that for a few minutes, silent. There was no need for words. Then Harry began a slow, steady descend. By the time the broom had reached the ground, Hermione almost didn't want to get off. Almost.

“Thanks, Harry,” Hermione whispered as they touched down. “I never thought I’d say it… but that was a great broom ride.”

“Thank you,” Harry muttered back, smiling. “I won!”

“Harry!” Hermione cried, frowning indignantly. This isn’t what she had been expecting… not really. Okay, maybe a bit.

“What? You mean I
can’t gloat to Ron?” Harry looked at Hermione and widened his eyes. Then he made his bottom lip tremble, in an attempt to look pathetic.

“Well, maybe just a little,” Hermione replied, grinning. Harry smiled back and threw his arm around Hermione.

“Come on! This is going to be fun…” Harry took Hermione’s arm and led her away, to the direction of Ron, who would soon be even more irritated than he was now…


Hermione woke up with a start. Her dream… it wasn’t ordinary. It was a memory, an exact memory of what had happened only weeks ago. She remembered it well, for she and Harry had begun walking back to the castle and did indeed find an indignant Ron, angrily asking where they had been. Both took great pleasure in saying, “Flying.” Ron had become enraged, as expected, but as Harry and Hermione burst out laughing, Ron couldn’t help joining in.

They shared so many laughs together. Hermione couldn’t imagine her life without her best friends. Shaking herself out of her reminiscing, she packed her things away and headed for the Gryffindor Common Room. It had really gotten quite late, and Hermione was amazed that she had actually fallen asleep on her book.

Still, not noticing that two figures had sat there just as long as she had, observing her every move, Hermione walked lightly and happily.

--

Ginny sat on the couch in the Common Room and waited. She knew what she needed to do. She needed to tell Hermione to back off. Hermione needed to understand that she had to stay away, because he was Ginny’s, not Hermione’s.

Ginny could see the way Ron looked at Hermione. She saw how he tried to hide it. She saw how much he loved arguing with Hermione, because she was so passionate about it. Ginny could see it all, even when Hermione couldn’t.

But Ginny could see other things too. She saw the way he looked at her also. Not Ron, but him. The one that was meant to be Ginny’s. She saw how they subtly flirted with each other, in such a calm way it was hard to notice. She saw how much Hermione cared for him, and how much he cared for her. And Ginny was not happy, at all. How could they? How could they do this to her and Ron? It wasn’t fair.

The moment had come. Hermione had walked into the Common Room, her book bag swinging on her shoulder. She smiled when she saw Ginny, but Ginny kept her blank mask on. Walking right up to Hermione’s face, she said what she had to.

“Hermione… stay away from him,” Ginny warned in a low voice. Hermione looked at her strangely, and a smile appeared. She thought Ginny was kidding around, just acting up or something.

“Ginny, I don’t know what you’re talking about!” Hermione laughed. But Ginny was not in the mood for joking about with Hermione. Not at all.

“Drop the act, Hermione,” she hissed. Rather nastily, if you asked Hermione. What was making Ginny so worked up, so angry with her?

“What’s wrong, Ginny? Just tell me what I’ve done!” Hermione exclaimed indignantly. It’s not as if Hermione liked being verbally attacked by Ginny… or anyone else for that matter.

“You should know! Prancing around him, as if you don’t know how I feel! Flirting with him ever second of the day, loving all the attention he gives you. It should have been me, all along!” Ginny yelled, tears in her eyes and a look of madness on her face in general.

Truly, Hermione had no clue as to what Ginny was yelling about. Who was this he she kept mentioning? And what was the business with prancing and flirting, something Hermione apparently did?

“Listen Ginny, I have no idea what you’re talking about. I don’t need to be yelled at by people I thought were my friends… I’ll give you some time to cool off. Bye,” Hermione rushed out quickly, wanting to get away from the youngest Weasley.

In her rush, she didn’t hear Ginny’s last words, spoken quietly, and in an icy voice quite unlike Ginny’s natural one.

“Harry… he’s meant to love me… not you. You should be with Ron,”

--

Hermione was totally confused with Ginny’s yelling. What was her problem? Ginny had always been a bit of a drama queen, but this time there was actually something really bugging her. Something Hermione had done.

What did I do to her?

Hermione froze. That thought… it couldn’t be good. She hastily reached for her parchment, slowly opening it and dreading what she may see.

5 Simple Rules

Rule #1: Never be ignorant to something obvious

Rule #2: Never turn away from the truth

Rule #3: Never stab a friend in the back

Rule #4: Never let the family know

Rule #5: Never fall for one of them


Hermione looked at it desperately, begging to God that she was hallucinating or something. Rule #1 had been crossed off. Hermione had betrayed herself, her own promise. A promise she had made up herself.

She had been ignorant to the things around her; to something obvious that concerned her. Ginny obviously knew, and was mad about it. And she had just been yelling about it, quite fiercely.

The worst part was that Hermione still didn’t even know what it was.

--

A/N: First rule has been broken. Stay tuned

Bold font means the rule’s been crossed off. Strikethrough doesn’t work on ff.net

Thanks very much to all who took the time to read… but an even bigger thanks to those who also reviewed!

Thanks to my lovely beta, Kris…. for your ideas, encouragement and, as usual, correcting my atrocious spelling/grammar… and you still managed to review as well. You deserve a prize, girl! And another shout-out to Katy, for pointing out the other mistakes apart from grammatical.

xo aPADFOOT
Never Turn Away From the Truth by anniePADFOOT
Hermione looked at her parchment. These days, she was looking at it, checking to see if it was still blank -which it wasn’t. Rule number one was out- … in increasing amounts; Hermione could be found pondering over it.

One rule had been crossed off. Hermione still had no clue as to what she was being ignorant about, which was the worst part. But she remembered, after arguing with Ginny about something petty she couldn’t quite remember exactly, taking out the parchment and seeing the shock. She had been ignorant, and she still was.

5 Simple Rules

Rule #1: Never be ignorant to something obvious

Rule #2: Never turn away from the truth

Rule #3: Never stab a friend in the back

Rule #4: Never let the family know

Rule #5: Never fall for one of them


Hermione shook her head, determined to figure out what it was, and determined not to break any more of her own rules. She folded the parchment up and tucked it away safely, going down to the Common Room to meet Harry and Ron for some ‘urgent business’, as they had put it.

--

“Professor Dumbledore, Sir… why did you want to see us?” Hermione asked politely. Dumbledore looked grim, the sparkle in his bright eyes missing. Harry and Ron had led her up to Dumbledore’s office, on this ‘urgent business’… and they had sat down, to find that they weren’t alone. None other than Draco Malfoy was sitting also, looking quite disgruntled.

“I’ve heard from a reliable source… that would be Mr. Malfoy, here… that the war is coming to Hogwarts. Death Eaters have planned an attack within the next 2 days,” Dumbledore said quietly, looking directly at Harry, Hermione and Ron each, for a second, before turning back to Malfoy, who was sitting across from the trio.

“You believe him?” Ron spat out in disbelief. Malfoy rolled his eyes in boredom. He gave Ron a look of disbelief at his immaturity.

“Listen here, Weas-” he began impatiently, but Dumbledore shook his head and Malfoy fell silent.

“Mr. Weasley, please keep your own opinion to yourself. Yes, I believe Mr. Malfoy. He has demonstrated loyalty to the light side, and I trust him,” Dumbledore said this gently, but there was a note of finality in his voice. This wasn’t up for argument.

Ron was furiously muttering under his breath, and Hermione caught a few phrases like ‘stupid ferret’ and ‘muggle hating git’, as well as some much nastier ones that Hermione chose to block out. Hermione too was extremely doubtful of Malfoy; what on earth would posses him to change. Dumbledore was out of his mind there was no question. Trusting Malfoy… what a laugh, Hermione thought to herself.

“What are we going to do?” Harry, voice of reason, ignored Malfoy easily, and any mention of him. Instead, he focused on Dumbledore, and the upcoming attack.

“Whether you like it or not, the three of you will have to work together with Mr. Malfoy… we know why the Death Eaters are attacking; you, Harry. They won’t kill you of course-”

“That’s Voldemort’s territory,” Malfoy put in bitterly. Dumbledore smiled slightly, but not as if amused.

“Correct; but they will not hesitate in harming or killing any one else. I’m not even going to try and hold you back; I know you’ll want to fight, and I know it’s useless forbidding you. I must ask that you formulate a plan, including Mr. Malfoy here,” Dumbledore requested.

Ron groaned audibly, and Hermione rolled her eyes. This could not be good. How do you formulate a plan with someone that hates you, and has done so since your first meeting?

“I must also ask you not to say a word of Mr. Malfoy’s actions to anyone; the result could be deadly, if some of the Death Eaters, namely Lucius Malfoy, found out he is helping us. Good day.”

--

“Get real, Malfoy; just drop the act,” Ron said sharply. It was the next day, and on Dumbledore’s orders, Harry, Ron, Hermione and Malfoy were planning. At the moment though, it was more like arguing.

“Why would you switch sides anyway?” Harry asked calmly, holding Ron back from punching Malfoy out.

“My reasons are my own,” Malfoy replied coldly, glaring at Ron. “Tame your animal, Potter. I’m helping you, but it doesn’t mean I like the lot of you… especially him,”

“Shut up, Malfoy. Look, it’s clear we don’t believe you… if you want us to help you, you have to give us a reason,” Hermione ordered. Malfoy groaned and rolled his eyes.

“Fine, I want revenge, ok? I want to get back at my father. Are you happy?” Malfoy spat out angrily, his eyes flashing furiously.

There was silence, in which Harry, Ron and Hermione were still. Then Harry, maintaining strict eye contact with Malfoy, he muttered something incoherent and just stared at Malfoy for a second. Malfoy looked as if he were in a small amount of pain, as well as furious and confused.

“WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU PLAYING AT, POTTER?” Malfoy stood up, yelling.

“Keep it down… Draco,” It looked as if it took Harry quite a lot of effort to call Malfoy by his first name. The thing he said next took even more effort. “I believe you. Sit back down,”

“WHAT?” Ron and Hermione yelled in unison. Normally it would only be Ron acting in such a manner, but Malfoy had spent five years torturing Hermione, and she was sure it was going to continue in her sixth.

“I believe him. Dumbledore trusts him, and so do I. I’m not forcing you to do the same, but we still need your help,” Harry said gently to Ron and Hermione.

“Yes… but why do you believe him?” Ron looked at Harry as if he had grown another head. Harry sighed and shook his head lightly.

“He’s never done anything to make you trust him. He’s never done anything redeeming or even slightly good at all, to any of us. Or you know, any one at all,” Hermione out strong emphasis on her words, trying to figure out what was going through Harry’s head.

“Stop fighting. We need to do this,” Malfoy put in forcefully. “Doesn’t mean I want to, but we have to. So can you just shut the hell up for five minutes and let us figure this out?”

“He’s right. Planning…” Harry began, assuming the leadership position as expected.

--

Their little session of planning was over. Harry had gone upstairs, leaving Hermione and Ron alone with Malfoy… Hermione still refused to acknowledge him by his first name.

“Forget it, ferret-boy. We still hate you, we don’t trust or believe you; that won’t change,” Ron spat angrily, following Harry’s lead quickly.

“I’m heartbroken. After all, your opinion means so much to me,” Malfoy replied, his voice dripping with sarcasm.

“Malfoy, what are you doing?” Hermione asked softly.

“I’m helping you. What does it look like?” Malfoy answered, as if speaking to a small child.

“Just because Harry trusts you -for some unknown reason, by the way- doesn’t mean Ron and I will. Five years of tormenting hasn’t put you high on my ‘people to forgive’ list,” Hermione said sharply.

“Look, you don’t trust me. Ok, I can live with that,” Malfoy said calmly, falsely inspecting his nails with seeming casualness.

“Good, because it’s not going to change,” Hermione responded, struggling to stay equally calm and not emotional. The worst thing she could do was get emotional.

“When I prove you wrong-” Malfoy began angrily, looking up to meet Hermione’s eyes. But she cut him off quickly, not wanting to hear it.

“You won’t,” Hermione whispered before walking away.

--

The battle was in full swing. The Death Eaters had arrived, as promised, within the next two days. And it was not good, at all. The fighting was being done outside, in the grounds, at the order of Dumbledore. On the first sign of arrival, he declared that anyone who was going to fight, go outside, right now.

Dumbledore had said that students fourth year and below were to hide out, and had given specific locations. Fifth years did their part keeping guard of the younger students while sixth and seventh year students were free to fight, if they wished. Teachers were fighting, as was Harry, Ron and Hermione. Draco wore a long cloak that hid his identity, for obvious reasons. All the members of the DA that were old enough were fighting, as well as some non-DA members. Nearly no Slytherins participated, instead staying out of it.

Harry was cursing Death Eaters left, right and centre. He wasn’t using anything lethal, but ordinary spells with full power. He was knocking out most, using a power-up version of Stupefy that left them unconscious for longer than usual. Ron was doing his part, blocking spells that threatened Harry, as well as taking down a Death Eater or two himself.

Hermione was going around stealthily hexing Death Eaters as well as helping injured students and teachers, healing some, leading others away. But she kept her eyes on one student, the one wearing a long, concealing cloak. Draco Malfoy. At any second, she was expecting him to rip the cloak off and start cursing Harry or someone on the light side. But it hadn’t happened yet.

There were about twenty-five Death Eaters, but no Voldemort. It was a warning, not a full chaotic war, at this stage. None other than Lucius Malfoy was yelling out directions, seemingly in the lead. Bellatrix Lestrange was taking out anyone she could by the dozen. Hermione sent a full-body bind at her that temporarily took her out of the battle. She was just about to go help her victims, but froze. This was it.

Avada Kedavra,” Draco Malfoy had spoken the two deadly words. The green light of the Killing Curse flew, and every breath stopped. Everyone stopped, just to see whether it would connect its target. It did.

Lucius Malfoy turned at that precise second, to see his only son move the long cloak hiding him and fire of a single curse. A singe curse that would end his life. Lucius Malfoy’s mouth went O, and his eyes flashed with anger. But there was no time for anything else, for the curse connected right in the centre of his chest and the elder Malfoy fell, fell to his death.

“Now do you believe me?” a low, dangerous voice asked. Draco’s silver eyes turned to Hermione, and he asked her the question that Hermione didn’t want to hear. The one she didn’t want to answer.

She believed him. She had been wrong. It had taken the death of a man, although not innocent, but still a man, to die, for Hermione to believe Draco Malfoy.

“Yes,” Hermione whispered. No one else made a sound they just stared. Harry moved forward to Hermione, but was stopped by Ron.

Hermione collapsed.

--

The Death Eaters were gone from Hogwarts. Some had escaped some got away injured. One, at least, had died. Hermione made a mental note to ask Harry how the rest of the battle had gone, if there were any more casualties. She hadn’t paid any attention before hand, just seeing Draco kill his father, and after that, she had collapsed.

Hermione knew what to do. She took out her precious square of parchment, and looked at it. Before her very eyes, a line appeared through Rule #2.

5 Simple Rules

Rule #1: Never be ignorant to something obvious

Rule #2: Never turn away from the truth


Rule #3: Never stab a friend in the back

Rule #4: Never let the family know

Rule #5: Never fall for one of them


Hermione had broken Rule number two. She had turned her back on the truth, even when the proof had been there all that time, right in front of her. Now, Draco had killed Lucius Malfoy.

That’s what it had come to a son killing his father. That’s what it had taken for Hermione to believe Draco… and to see the error of her ways.

But it was too late now.

---------------------------

A/N: Rule 2 has been broken. Stay tuned.

Ok, I support both theories; Draco Malfoy turns out to be a Death Eater OR Draco Malfoy turns good. Either work for me, as long as they’re well written. I’m a big fan of Death-Eater! Draco, but the other angle fit better for this. And in case you people didn’t get it, in the bit where Draco starts screaming at Harry… Harry used Legilimency on him. Incoherent mutter, eye contact… yeah, just so you know.

Thank you to all who read and reviewed, it means a lot to me. For more of my work, go to the link in my user page.

xo aPADFOOT
Never Stab A Friend in the Back by anniePADFOOT
Looking over her list yet again, Hermione had to wonder how things had gotten this way. What had happened to her? What had made her break the things she set down?

And not only that, but the results too, were painful.

Breaking rule number one had been something else. She hadn’t even known what she was being ignorant of. And she still didn’t. It was beyond strange.

Rule two had led to the death of Lucius Malfoy, killed by his own son. And Hermione, just because she didn’t want to believe it, turned away from the truth of the matter; Draco had turned.

5 Simple Rules

Rule #1: Never be ignorant to something obvious

Rule #2: Never turn away from the truth


Rule #3: Never stab a friend in the back

Rule #4: Never let the family know

Rule #5: Never fall for one of them


Looking over the list again, she took in the next rule rule three. Never stab a friend in the back. Hermione would have originally thought that she would never do that. But then again, she had thought she would never be ignorant or turn away form the truth.

Hermione folded the parchment again and put it away. For now.

--

“Listen, Harry… I just… I don’t know how to say this,” Ginny started nervously, her eyes glowing. Harry stared at her, slightly concerned.

“What is it?” he asked gently. He and Ginny were walking comfortably outside, on the huge grounds of Hogwarts. Harry had originally gone out alone, taken time to think. But then he met Ginny sitting under a tree and she had hopped up, joining his wanderings.

“Would you… uh- like to… go out some time?” Ginny stuttered out. Harry was silent. Ginny stole a quick look at him, shock in his eyes.

“Ginny… I thought this was over?” he asked finally. I thought your girly crush was over, from fifth year? Harry didn’t know what to say. Well, he did. But he didn’t know how to say it; Harry didn’t love Ginny. He didn’t want to give her false hope and go out with her.

“Harry, I never stopped. I never stopped loving you, Harry. It’s not some juvenile crush… I love you, Harry Potter,” Ginny replied determinedly. Harry groaned inwardly. That was precisely what he hadn’t wanted to hear. Why did Ginny have to make this so hard?

Harry had been silent for a long time. Then he said it. “Gin… I don’t love you. I’m sorry. I love someone else,”

Harry saw Ginny’s brown eyes widen. Clearly, this wasn’t something she had expected. He saw a glint of anger flash through them, but it was gone as quickly as it came.

“I-I understand,” Ginny said hastily, rushing out her words as she backed away from Harry.

“Ginny, wait!” Harry called. But Ginny shook her head and sprinted off. Harry sighed. Great… I’ve upset my best friend’s sister, because I don’t love her like she loves me, Harry thought to himself. Things just keep getting better and better.

--

Ginny was furious. How dare Harry Potter refuse her? After everything she had done, after all she had put up! Ginny’s mind was swarming with emotion, just like her heart. She had loved him even before she met him. She had been in love with Harry Potter, the world’s hero, since the second she heard of him. How’s that for dedication?

And what did Hermione know? Nothing! She had been completely blind, only knowing who Harry is when she read it in a book before first year. And then they met… and didn’t hit it off. But Harry and Ginny’s stupid brother, Ron, just had to go and save her from that troll! They couldn’t have left her there, or let someone know. And after saving her, they had formed such a tight bond that no one could penetrate it.

No matter how hard Ginny tried. All those years Ginny had watched Hermione, met her and befriended her, Ginny knew one thing. It should have been me!

It should have been Ginny all along, being part of the trio. She was Ron’s sister after all; she should have seniority. She deserved acknowledgement, after the things she had put up with. Having all those brothers, being so horribly overshadowed. Being the youngest. Being there for Harry even before she knew him. Being dragged into that horrid Chamber by You-Know-Who. Putting up with his mood swings and depression in fifth year. Didn’t those things count at all to Harry?

Harry didn’t have to say a word. Ginny knew it was Hermione he loved. It was just something she knew, instinctively. Something that had always been nagging at the back of her head, but never brought out to the front to think about. It had to be Hermione… it always had been. She was always the one they wanted, Harry and Ron alike.

Ginny had spent quite some time putting reasons to their feelings; Hermione was smart. Very smart, the smartest student in Hogwarts easily. She was a true Gryffindor brave, loyal, determined and all that. She was a Prefect and first in line for Head Girl-ship in her seventh year.

Hermione had quite grown into her looks; she had a natural tan, and her wild brown hair had been cut over the summer holidays after fifth year. In general, her hair had calmed down a bit and fell in thick curls a few inches below her shoulders, framing her big, brown eyes and pretty features.

Yep. Hermione had it all going for her. But Ginny wouldn’t give up. Getting up, she had made her mind up. She was going to let it all out. And Ron seemed like a good option… after talking with him, she might even go see the devils themselves; Harry and Hermione.

--

Ron was not happy. Not happy with Harry, that is.

He had just gotten Ginny, crying her heart out on his shirt and blabbering madly about barely coherent things off him. It had taken a while… hours to be precise. Hours to calm his sister down, and in the end, Ron still didn’t really know what had happened. So he asked Ginny calmly, told her to stop crying, it would be all right. Then he asked what the actually problem was.

“It-it’s Harry!” Ginny had wailed. “He-he… I a-asked him o-out… and he s-said no!”

His best friend had broken his little sister’s heart. So what the hell was Ron meant to do now? But then Ginny said it. She said the words that sealed Harry’s fate.

“H-he said h-he loves s-someone else…”

It didn’t take a genius to figure out whom that someone else was. The look on Ginny’s face said it all. What the hell was Harry playing at? He should know, he should know that things weren’t meant to go that way! Why did he have to screw it all up, undo all of Ron and Ginny’s hard work?

Ginny had started sobbing again, and Ron patted her on the back awkwardly, never being a real ‘touch and feel’ person himself. But he let his sister cry on him, knowing how she felt.

She loved Harry. Ron loved Hermione. Harry loved Hermione. And it would only be a matter of time before Hermione realized that and started loving him back.

“Look, I’ll tell her, Gin,” Ron, whispered. Ginny stopped crying immediately and looked up at Ron with awe and respect in her eyes.

“Really? You’d do that, for me?” she asked amazedly.

“For you and me. I’ll tell her everything. Then we’ll see if it will be so easy for her and Harry,” Ron replied. Ginny beamed at her brother and hugged him tightly, as tightly as she could without suffocating him.

“Oh, Ron… thank you,” she mumbled into his chest.

Ginny briefly heard Ron chuckle before answering, “Thank you too… because you know you’re welcome.”

Ginny stood there, hugging Ron for a long time. Then, quite abruptly, she released him and looked him straight in the eye. There was a glint of dangerous determination in her eyes that Ron had never seen before, and quite frankly, he was a bit frightened.

“We have to plan this out, brother,” she said in a steely voice.

--

Hermione had been aimlessly walking around. Now seated against the wall out of boredom [but not wanting to move… it was a nice spot], she had ended up in a hallway not too far from the Gryffindor Common Room when she saw a familiar face. Harry.

“Hermione? What are you doing here?” he asked, walking closer to her.

“Nothing just walking,” Hermione answered casually. “Well, actually, sitting.”

Harry smiled and sat down next to her. Hermione automatically leaned her head on his shoulder, like a practiced move.

“You ok?” he asked softly. He worried about Hermione a lot… she had way too much on her hands for a normal sixteen year old. But then again, so did Harry himself. So they both worried about each other, for the same reasons.

“I don’t know… but I will be,” Hermione replied just as softly. Then she shifted her body upwards and twisted around, so that she was facing Harry.

Hardly controlling her own actions, Hermione stared deeply into Harry’s emerald eyes. There she saw so much caring for the world, so much love. Love… for her? Without thinking, she leaned forward and kissing him ever so lightly on the lips. Hermione didn’t know what made her do it. But she knew this; Harry was responding.

Their kiss was long and sweet. Hermione could feel the electricity between them, the chemistry. It was so obvious. And it just felt so good.

Then someone had to come and rain on their parade. Someone had to come and burst their bubble. Crash their party. However you wanted to put it, a single person snapped Harry and Hermione back to reality. And that person happened to be Ginny.

“Hermione! How could you! I thought you were my friend…” Ginny shrieked. She had walked into the corridor at the exact wrong time. Hermione and Harry immediately pulled apart and got to their feet. Both made a start towards Ginny, but she shook her head and rushed off, tears already streaming down her face.

Hermione heard Harry curse under his breath as he watched Ginny’s retreating back. He turned back to Hermione and their gaze locked. For a second, neither moved.

“I’m sorry, Harry… I don’t know why I-I” Hermione began, but then she stopped, shook her head. Breaking whatever had been there, Hermione ran off herself, leaving a very dumbstruck Harry.

Hermione just couldn’t take it. And she could feel what was happening at this very second. Her parchment, her rules; the way she lived her life. Or hoped to have lived her life, but it was becoming quite clear that Hermione was doing exactly what she said she wouldn’t do, instead of would. Taking out the square that had Hermione’s life promises recorded on it, she observed as it happened. As the very thing Hermione wished would never happen, happened.

5 Simple Rules

Rule #1: Never be ignorant to something obvious

Rule #2: Never turn away from the truth

Rule #3: Never stab a friend in the back


Rule #4: Never let the family know

Rule #5: Never fall for one of them


A neat, horizontal line had appeared through Rule #3: Never stab a friend in the back. So, another rule had been broken. Even more people had been hurt, namely Ginny.

And this one had left Hermione more confused than she had ever been. Because that kiss…

It meant something.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: These rules are all are clearly connected. So you will all find out everything in chapter 5. Shout-out to Kris-tina4 for being such an awesome beta =)

Also, thanks to all my lovely reviewers and readers. Please don’t stop giving me feedback!

xo anniePADFOOT
Never Let the Family Know by anniePADFOOT
Hermione looked at her list. Three were already crossed off, and if there was any destined time for the third one to go, it was definitely now. She hated herself for this, for allowing three things of that list to be crossed out. Hermione had made a promise to herself, and she had broken it. That was the worst type of promise to break; one to yourself.

Hermione had just arrived at the front of her parent’s house. She promised to visit, and while she had spent a few days at Hogwarts for Easter Break, she felt that her parents deserved at least a day with her also. She was here to see her mum and dad, whom she had sorely missed, but couldn’t really see.

To see them was to endanger them, to let them know what was going on was basically sentencing them to death. Hermione stared down at her faithful list again, the single piece of parchment she always carried around. Three rules were crossed off. She had already done three things she had promised herself she would never do. Would she do a fourth?

5 Simple Rules

Rule #1: Never be ignorant to something obvious

Rule #2: Never turn away from the truth

Rule #3: Never stab a friend in the back


Rule #4: Never let the family know

Rule #5: Never fall for one of them


Folding up the parchment and tucking it away safely, Hermione took a deep breath and faced the door. Then she knocked once, twice and a third time. Bracing herself for entrance, Hermione put a smile on her face and waited patiently for someone to answer the knocking.

The door opened a crack and you could hear someone from inside talking to the person answering the door. But whoever answered the door didn’t pay much attention at all. Instead, they threw the door wide open to greet their visitor.

Helen Granger’s mouth dropped in shock.

A second later, the woman’s partner had come to see what the fuss was about.

Menelaus Granger’s eyeballs nearly popped out.

--

“Hermione, dear! We’re so happy you’ve come back for Easter,” Helen Granger gushed, hugging her daughter tightly. Hermione had actually come home for a break, which she hadn’t done for a while. The truth was, staying at Hogwarts was just safer, for everyone.

“Me too, mum,” Hermione mumbled, letting go of her mother and moving on to her father. She had stayed at her beloved school for Christmas, but just couldn’t say no to her parents’ begging.

“Hermione, it’s been too long. We want to be involved in your life, both magical and non-magical. We want to know what’s going on in your world we want to be included. We don’t want to be closed out of our little girl’s life. Tell us sweetie, what’s going on in your world?” her father, began.

Hermione closed her eyes and grimaced inwardly. Rule #4: Never let the family know. She was already regretting coming back; Hermione knew what she would have to face. Lying to her parents. Even if it was to protect them, it didn’t make the act any more right. And it certainly didn’t make Hermione feel less guilty about what she had to do.

“Menelaus! Don’t cramp her… although we would love to know how school has been going, and what of the magical world?” her mother continued, taking a seat. Her father and Hermione followed suit.

“Oh nothing much, really. It’s nothing exciting. I’d much rather hear how everything has been with you,” Hermione tried to weasel her way out, but to no avail. Her mother was persistent Hermione would give her that.

“Nonsense, Hermione! How are those boys, Harry and Ron? Getting into normal, teenage boy mischief?” her father asked interestedly.

Both her parents knew about Harry and Ron, but not in great detail. They knew that Harry lived with his mother’s sister and her family, because his parents were dead. They knew he had black hair, green eyes and a lightning bolt scar. They knew he was very brave, very loyal. And they also knew that Ron had an exceedingly large family, a father obsessed with muggle items, a traditional Weasley appearance of red hair and freckles. They knew he liked to joke and laugh. They knew both of her boys liked Quidditch, the Wizard sport that Hermione had spent hours explaining. But they didn’t know what Ron and Harry had to go through, what anyone at Hogwarts really had to go through.

“Oh, Harry and Ron are both fine,” Hermione lied through her teeth. Hermione knew what she should have said: They haven’t been doing much at all, except for battling Dark Lords, saving the world and generally doing things no 16 year old boys should be doing. But telling her parents that would ruin everything Hermione had worked for.

“Hermione, we want to know these things. We feel like there is a part of you that we no longer know, and we don’t like it. We don’t like this rift that magic has brought between us,” her mother began worriedly.

“Oh, mum! Nothing has change-” Hermione began uncomfortably, but her sentence was never finished.

BANG!

--

“My, my, my… if it isn’t Mudblood Granger, ever-so-faithful sidekick to Potter. How lovely to see you accompanying the filth you call family. They’re tainted by you… and now they will die so much sooner than they would have, because of you. What a pity,” an icy voice hissed from amid the ruins that used to be her house.

Voldemort was here.

“Go to hell; you and your idealistic plans and your own twisted family of murderers. You’ll never win,” Hermione yelled back defiantly, desperately inching forward to get in front of her confused parents. Their house was now roofless and there was major damage to the framework.

Voldemort was standing next to a crumbling wall; his red eyes piercing Hermione’s brown ones. Hermione was terrified, no two ways about it. But she had to be strong, for her parents. Hermione kept Voldemort’s gaze for a second, before she felt someone probing her mind. Remembering the rules of Occlumency, she immediately looked down. But Hermione guessed that Voldemort had sensed the basics anyway.

“Trying to protect them? How precious,” Voldemort whispered softly, in his snake-like voice. Hermione out her mind shields up on full blast. Over the summer, and the beginning of this year, Harry had taught Hermione and Ron Occlumency. Hermione had discovered that she had a natural talent for it and had quite impressive powers in it.

“You will never win,” Hermione whispered viciously. Voldemort cackled, making Hermione’s neck hair stand up on end.

“One thing you need to know about the world we live in; there’s no good or evil, only power. Power always wins. And I assure you, I have more power,” Voldemort was now twirling his wand between his long, thin fingers. This childish gesture seemed somehow so threatening.

“RUN!” Hermione yelled without further ado. She looked at her parents desperately, and time seemed to slow. Voldemort was angry, but her parents just stared, dumbstruck. Then they ran for their lives.

In one swift movement, Hermione twisted herself artfully, avoiding the curse sent at her by Voldemort. Then she drew out her wand, and began deflecting. She didn’t know where her parents were, but she prayed it was somewhere away from him.

Hermione cast a shield around herself, one that would keep away most spells. And the duel went on, if only for a few minutes. While Hermione was an exceptionally knowledgeable and powerful witch for her age, she couldn’t match up to Voldemort. She was already suffering a large slash on her back, from which she could feel her blood dripping. Voldemort, on the other hand, had gotten at least 3 broken fingers thanks to a nasty little Bone-Breaker curse Hermione sent at him. Unfortunately, it didn’t hit his wand arm.

Avada Kedavra,” Hermione ducked, not even thinking about it. And she heard it connect with something behind her, heard a scream. Then Voldemort laughed, twirled his cloak and disappeared. Immediately, she turned around to see what had been hit.

A shock greeted Hermione’s eyes. Helen Granger was on the floor, gripping her husband, sobbing desperately, begging him to get up and move. But he wouldn’t, that was clear from his cold body, his empty eyes.

Menelaus Granger was dead.

--

“Who was he, Hermione? I have to know,” Hermione’s mum sobbed. Hermione felt her heart breaking, knowing that the death of her father had been all her fault.

“His name is Lord Voldemort. He, in a way, is like the magical Hitler of today. Mum… he’s been after Harry -my best friend, Harry- since the day of birth,” Hermione choked out. Her mother had to know, now. It was too late to save anyone, but her mum had to know.

“You knew this?” Helen Granger stared in disbelief at her daughter.

“Yes, I did. We’ve fought him before, Harry, Ron and I. He’s after witches and wizards that don’t support him. And of course, people like me, that were born into families of non-magical people, or half and half,” Hermione replied, her voice scratchy and her body sore. Her spirit, of course, was broken and had been for quite some time.

“Hermione… why didn’t you tell us?” Hermione’s mother was looking so helpless at the moment. Tears streaming down her face, puffy eyes, so weak, fragile. As if the lightest touch could break her.

“I-I… I thought if you didn’t know, I could protect you. I didn’t want you banning me from magic,” Hermione whispered, fear evident in her eyes. Fear for everything. And fury.

“Hermione… maybe that way it would have been safer,” her mother replied gently, still sobbing.

“You don’t understand… this is who I am,” Hermione said desperately. Her mother didn’t know, didn’t know what it was like to fight and save the world, save a life. It was an amazing thing, and Hermione couldn’t just turn her back on what she was.

“But you could be someone else. You could have been our daughter, and only that. You had a choice,” Hermione’s mother was trying to hold it all together, in front of her daughter. But it wasn’t working the slightest.

“I didn’t have a choice, mum. I never had a choice. I’m sorry,” Hermione felt her voice cracking. She stood up, shook away her tears and gave her mother a tight hug.

“If you can’t understand mum, then I’m sorry. Just know that I love you, and I always will,”

And with that, Hermione Granger walked away. To where, she did not know. How she would get there, that was a mystery too. But she knew one thing; she had broken another rule. And there are always consequences.

She had walked for a while now, still crying. She only had one option that Hermione knew of. Sticking her wand out, she waited for the Knight Bus to arrive. While she waited, she took out her scrap of parchment, the one she always kept with her, and she observed it. It had changed again, from three rules crossed off, to four.

5 Simple Rules

Rule #1: Never be ignorant to something obvious

Rule #2: Never turn away from the truth

Rule #3: Never stab a friend in the back

Rule #4: Never let the family know


Rule #5: Never fall for one of them


A single tear dropped onto the parchment, smudging the writing. Then another. And two more. Hermione was desperately crying, wanting to let it all out.

Another rule was down the drain, and Hermione’s life was slowly falling apart.

-----------------------

A/N: I did an Internet search on Hermione, and this is what I came up with… also how I got the name of her parents.

Hermione: The beautiful daughter of Menelaus and Helen. She had been promised in marriage to Orestes before the Trojan War, but Menelaus, after his return home, married her to Neoptolemus (Pyrrhus).

Big shout-out to my 2 wonderful betas, Kris and Katy… without you guys, this would be a disaster.

Thank you all for reviewing. It means a lot to me…

xo anniePADFOOT
Never Fall in Love with one of Them by anniePADFOOT
Hermione was back at Hogwarts. The Knight Bus had been a bumpy ride, but she had been greeted with open arms and a warm smile. This of course, had been too much to handle. Hermione had burst into tears again, telling Harry everything. Ron was nowhere to be found, as was Ginny. It didn’t take a genius to figure out that they were still unhappy with Hermione and Harry. Hermione guessed that Ginny had pulled some of those family strings, and basically, turned Ron against her.

At the moment though, Hermione just couldn’t bring herself to actually care about Ginny’s petty crushes and upsets, Ron’s over-protectiveness. Not when Voldemort had just attacked her family, at home. Not when her father was dead and her mother was broken, alone.

Another rule had been broken, and this one had much more serious consequences than Hermione could ever even imagine. Taking out the parchment with her rules, she stared at it, stared at how four of her five rules were now out the window.

5 Simple Rules

Rule #1: Never be ignorant to something obvious

Rule #2: Never turn away from the truth

Rule #3: Never let the family know

Rule #4: Never stab a friend in the back


Rule #5: Never fall for one of them


How long would it take for her to break the final rule, and fall in love with one of them? It couldn’t be long… Hermione wasn’t stupid. She felt the chemistry. But that’s all it was, chemistry. Nothing concrete.

Determined to keep at least one rule alive, Hermione folded up her parchment and tucked it away as she usually did.

--

Hermione had walked down stairs to the Common Room to find it relatively empty. The truth was, most students took the opportunity to go back home for a week and spend some time with their family. Look how well that turned out for me, Hermione thought sarcastically. The one-day visit to her home had been an utter disaster.

Hermione sighed, not wanting to spend the day in here. Even though there were only two or three students, and the room was relatively large, Hermione was getting claustrophobic. She quickly made her way outside, to the back of the castle, where she found her favoured spot.

There was a huge oak tree with overgrown branches that seeped downwards and made a bit of a semi-circular shield. Hermione had discovered this spot not long ago, and had fallen in love with it. However, to her dismay, it was not empty.

There was already a person sitting in her spot. A person with bright red hair, a long nose and freckles. Ron Weasley. Ron looked up and their eyes connected. And straight away, the drama began.

“Hermione… don’t go with him. Don’t go with Harry,” Ron begged desperately.

“What?” Hermione asked surprised at how urgent Ron seemed. What on earth was Ron on about… and then it struck Hermione. Her disorientated head had taken a while to re-realize that Ginny had most likely told Ron about the kissing Harry episode. Ron confirmed this a second later.

“I know you kissed him… but don’t choose him,” Ron pleaded, standing up to face Hermione.

“Who said I was? And why ever not?” Hermione asked rather indignantly. Although she knew where Ron might have gotten the idea. And not for no reason… Hermione had definitely felt something, kissing Harry. What came next shocked her even more.

Ron leaned forward and kissed her too. He kissed her with urgency, as if trying to prove something. Not at all like Harry’s kiss.

Hermione’s mind was blown. What on earth is going on here? She asked herself. She broke the kiss gently, not wanting to upset Ron too much. Although she figured that at the moment, that was pretty close to impossible.

Ron hesitated before speaking. “Don’t go with Harry, because… I love you. I always have.”

“Ron… I…” Hermione was completely lost for words. How do you tell someone who just kissed you then proceeded to announce his love to you that you just don’t feel the same and that you think you might be in love with his best friend?

“You love him, don’t you?” Ron asked very quietly, a look of darkness crossing his face. Hermione was surprised at Ron’s comment; where had that come from?

“I’m sorry, Ron… but I don’t love you,” Hermione managed to stammer out. There was only one thing to do in a situation like this.

Hermione bolted.

--

Hermione had thought of only one place that could help her at the moment. The Room of Requirement. All she needed was to be alone, to be comforted, but alone. She rushed to the hallway and concentrated on what had just happened. The shiny door handle appeared and Hermione yanked it open.

This is exactly what she needed; the room had made itself small and cozy. There was a large, comfortable looking couch in the centre, as well as a coffee table in front of it. The best part was… the coffee table was loaded with comfort food.

Hermione flopped down on the couch gratefully and bit into some of Honeyduke’s best. Immediately, she felt warmer, right to the tip of her toes.

“I love you. I always have.”

Hermione still couldn’t believe that Ron had said something like that to her. In all the years of their friendship… and what role did Ginny play in this. No doubt there was something she did, Hermione was sure of it. And Harry.

Harry.

A single name had never sent such a strong mix of emotions running through her. Harry, her best friend. Harry, who she had kissed. Harry, who kissed her back.

Hermione had always known she loved Harry… but she didn’t know she was in love with him. Until today. Until Ron had kissed her and said three small words that held so much meaning. And Hermione couldn’t return them. Because she didn’t feel it for him.

Ginny had known all along, Hermione understood that now. That’s why she yelled at Hermione, rambling on about things that she didn’t comprehend. Ginny knew, and she wanted it stopped, she wanted it over. Because she loved Harry, and she wanted him to love her back. But she said that he loved her… Hermione?

Hermione had known of Ginny’s crush on Harry from the beginning. And she had always thought it was a bit odd. Ginny didn’t even know Harry, but she claimed to love him. And when they actually met, she still didn’t really know him. It wasn’t love it was admiration from Ginny. Adoration, for something she didn’t even know. For Ginny to announce that she loved Harry was quite a big deal; she still didn’t really know Harry. Not many people did. Ginny had scratched the surface, but was far from knowing him.

But the girl was determined. And then Ron… Ron told Hermione he loved her. And she couldn’t return the words. Why didn’t she return them? Because I don’t love Ron. Hermione had never loved Ron. Her heart had been reserved for someone else.

And when she had kissed Harry, she knew who that someone else was, who it had always been.

I love Harry Potter.

And the realization hit her, like someone suddenly punching her in the stomach. Where had all this come from?

Years of knowing Harry. Years of actually knowing him. Years of being his best friend, his confidant. And years of him being the same to me.

There was a noise outside, breaking Hermione out of her thoughts. She sat up, observing the door carefully. Very slowly, the handle began to turn. And equally slowly, the door opened, to reveal none other than Harry Potter himself. Harry did a bit of a double take when he saw Hermione, but smiled anyway. He moved forward and Hermione stood up to greet him.

“Hermione…” Harry began, looking at her. But he just let the single word hang in the air, trailing off. Now, this had caught Hermione’s attention. She hadn’t been Harry’s best friend for all these years to not realize that Harry only did the trailing-off thing when he had something extremely important to say.

“What Harry? What is it?” Hermione demanded urgently. Harry had a strange glint in his eyes, almost as if he were dreaming. It was drawing Hermione rapidly.

“I… I love you,” Harry answered, very hesitantly. His green eyes met Hermione’s brown ones, and once again, like she did with Dumbledore, Hermione got the feeling that those eyes could penetrate her soul, see right through her.

Harry’s intense gaze didn’t stop the shock.

“What!?” she managed to get out. It took Hermione a second to realize that what she had said had been the exact wrong thing. Harry’s heartbroken face said it all.

“Sorry… I shouldn’t have said it. I’m going to just lea-” Harry stammered, already turning away and beginning to walk in the direction of the door. Hermione was frozen for a second, before she realized what this opportunity meant.

“Harry, stop!” she yelled out. Harry froze, and looked back at her, hope evident in his whole demeanor.

In a voice much quieter than what she had just used, Hermione asked the question. “Did you… did you mean it?”

“If I didn’t, I wouldn’t have said it,” he replied gently, taking a few tentative steps away from the door and towards Hermione.

Once again, green eyes met brown ones, and this time, neither looked away for the longest time. They just read the emotions in each other’s eyes, on each other’s faces. They just stood there, taking each other in.

Hermione broke the silence.

“I love you too.”

--

[Set on the day before Hogwarts Graduation - in the 3rd week of June, 1998]

Hermione took a final look at her faithful piece of parchment. She saw how each rule had been mercilessly crossed out, how much Hermione had to do to get to the end. To get to happiness and to peace.

5 Simple Rules

Rule #1: Never be ignorant to something obvious

Rule #2: Never turn away from the truth

Rule #3: Never let the family know

Rule #4: Never stab a friend in the back

Rule #5: Never fall for one of them


Without a care in the world, Hermione took the paper and ripped it into two. Then two more. And then again. Finally, she gathered up the bits of paper and threw them into the warm, cackling fire.

Harry smiled at her, kissing her on the lips.

And at that moment, Hermione felt right. Like everything had gone the way it was meant to go. She was meant to be unaware of the feelings Ron and Harry harboured, and Draco’s father was meant to die at the hands of his own son. She wasn’t meant to stay such close friends with Ginny; they were always meant to split. Hermione’s own father was meant to die, her mother was meant to break. And it wasn’t Ginny and Harry written in the stars, or even Ron and Hermione. It was always Hermione and Harry.

Hermione was never meant to stop any of that from happening. She was always supposed to go against herself, to learn how to live. This is where it was all going to end, finally.

“What are you thinking?” Harry whispered softly in Hermione’s ear. Hermione smiled gently and eased herself out of his hold slightly to look him in his beautiful green eyes.

“Rules were meant to be broken, after all,”

The End

--------------------------

A/N: The ending to another story, brought to you by anniePADFOOT.

Shout out to everyone who has read and reviewed, especially those who have taken the time to review each chapter. Also huge thanks to Kris & Katy, my faithful betas: could NOT have done it without you two

xo aPADFOOT

P.S I’ll be seeing you soon… *evil grin*
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=978