Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Godric's Hollow by Arthur Weasley

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
“James, are you sure we’ll be safe here in Godric’s Hollow?” a woman said earnestly.

“Lily, if not here, then where else?” her husband answered back. ‘How many times is she going to ask this?’ he thought. “We’ve used the Fidelius Charm. We’ve sealed our location within Peter Pettigrew. No one will ever find us, not even Voldemort. Unless, of course, Peter betrays us, and why would he do something like that?”

“I realize all of this, James. That’s not what worries me. You wanted to use Sirius. You’ve been closer with him since I’ve known you. Why did he back out?”

“I don’t know, Lily. He must’ve had a good reason though. I would trust Sirius with all of our lives, obviously. If he thought for some reason Peter would be a better choice, then we have to respect that.”

The woman called Lily let out a long sigh. “You’re right, James, but I still get a bad feeling about it.”

“I know, Lily, I’ve got the same feeling. I’ve always felt as if Peter was the oddball of the group. He never quite matched up to the rest of our skills and he always seemed distanced from us somehow. Still, we were friends all through Hogwarts. We Marauders mapped out the entire school. If you can’t trust your friends, then who can you turn to?”

An eerie silence followed. The Potters sat in their new house in the village of Godric’s Hollow, content with their safety sealed within the complex Fidelius Charm placed upon their good friend known as Wormtail. Upstairs a baby began to cry and Lily went up to attend to him. James moved over to the armchair she was in and began to think.

‘Why didn’t Sirius let us use the charm on him? He’s always been the closest to me out of the Marauders. I would’ve thought for sure he would take the burden of our safety upon his shoulders. I hope he’s not getting himself into trouble again. I would’ve thought we’d put those days behind us. Remus would’ve probably been a better choice than Peter, if not for that problem he has when the moon comes out.’

Lily came back downstairs. “He’s asleep again. He’s so beautiful, even when he’s cranky.”

“Yes, Lily, we truly are lucky to have such a wonderful family and wonderful frie”“ James attempted, as he was cut off by a crash in the distance.

“What was that?!” Lily quickly responded.

“I don’t know. You never know what these muggles get up to at this time of night, it’s hard to tell,” James replied, as he tried to throw off the obvious thought that was lingering on both of their minds. He walked over to the window, pulled back the curtains a bit, and peered out into the dim street. At first he couldn’t see anything, but then a shape gradually took form before his eyes. It was an eerie sight to say the least. A chalk white man was slowly approaching the house, penetrating the darkness with evil red eyes.

‘No, it can’t be. It’s not possible. Wormtail, we trusted Wormtail. After all this time…How could he?’ It seemed an eternity before James could pull himself back away from the pane of glass and shock himself back into the realization of what was going on.

“It’s him,” he uttered quietly.

“No…” Lily whispered, in total shock. “No, it can’t be.”

“It is.”

“But…Peter…he couldn’t have.”

“He must have. We have been betrayed, Lily.” Footsteps could be heard on the walkway to the house.

“Lily, take Harry and go! It’s him! Go! Run! I’ll hold him off”“ Lily needed no further urging, she took off running from the room, bounding back up the stairs.

“ALOHOMORA!” a cold, high voice rang through the night, as the lock on the door was lifted. Bang! and the door burst open as the ghost-like man kicked it open. He stepped into the Potters’ house and observed the room around him. Tall, clad in wizarding robes, demon red eyes, and white as snow, Voldemort threw back his head and cackled a cold, high-pitched laughter, all the while clutching his wand. “Well, Potter, you’ve had quite a run from me, haven’t you? All the way here to Godric’s Hollow? What a clever plan.”

James was already standing, wand out, ready to die. “Why are you here, Voldemort?” There was no trace of fear in his voice.

“So, you do not fear to speak my name, unlike all of your weak, pathetic friends? I am surprised. Few today can speak of that name without trembling and quaking with fright.”

“There are those of us brave enough to oppose you. What fear is there in a name?”

“Oh, there is much to be feared in my name, Potter. You won’t be around much longer, but you shall experience it nonetheless.”

“I asked you why you are here, Voldemort.”

“You seem awfully confident for one about to die. You conceited fool! I hear you were the same way in school, Potter. I guess some things never change. I, however, have changed for the better.” He let out another cold cackle of laughter. “Are you ready to die, Potter?” James didn’t answer.

“What a pity that your final chance for words is met with complete silence. AVADA KEDAVRA!” A flash of green light issued from Voldemort’s wand and James’ body fell limply to the floor. Upstairs, Lily’s face was streaked with tears.