Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Promises by Little Loony

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Making amends.

A/N: This story wasn’t supposed to be this long. It however took and a life of it’s own as is a stories want. It wasn’t mean to be an epic. It was supposed to be a three part humorous take on the marauders. It turned out to be another breed entirely. I hope that everyone who has read it has enjoyed it and I hope that I accomplished my goal of providing a few quotable lines a few bits that people recognise and few laughs along the way. I'd like to thank Kay and Tangle for all their patience and help. I'd like to thank my best friend Elizabeth (aka weasleysqueen) again for her patience and also for her seemingly infinate support and encouragement.

Disclaimer: I own nothing. JK owns everything except the pub and Aime. Please don’t sue.


The day arrived, the day that Aime had been dreading. The service was being held in the Department of Mysteries. Aime guessed that because there was no body to bury, they’d have to say their good byes to the whispering curtain.

Aime saw Remus as soon as she walked in the door. He looked the same to her, same hair, same sad smile, same way of holding himself. Aime looked around the room of sombre faces, Kingsley Shacklebolt who she knew as a regular at the pub that she owned, looked drawn and tired. Nymphadora Tonks, Kingsley’s partner, occasional drinking buddy and Sirius’ cousin looked so small and fragile. A huge group of red heads that Aime took to be the Weasley Family all were in various stages of bursting into tears. A bushy haired girl, presumably Hermione was being comforted by one of the red headed families’ boys. That was when Aime saw him, the boy who lived, mini-Prongs. Harry Potter. Aime continued her vigil of people; she saw Professor McGonagall and Professor Dumbledore deep in conversation. Emmeline Vance and ‘Dung Fletcher were crying on each others shoulders, Aime smiled at that, it was such a ridiculous pairing. Professor Dumbledore took his place at the front of the room, Aime watched as Harry sat rigid in his chair next to Remus, She watched as Professor McGonagall took her seat but the person that sat next to her nearly knocked Aime clean off her feet. Severus Snape at Sirius’ funeral! Aime never ever thought that she’d see the day.

Harry had seen a woman with purple hair at the funeral and almost mistook her for Tonks. That was until she got close enough to actually see her; she was older than Tonks, taller than Tonks and in Harry’s opinion not as pretty.


“Goodbye Padders, I’ll miss you” the woman said when she was close to the curtain.


“Excuse me,” Harry had said to get her to turn around, she had tears in her eyes and black mascara trails on her face. “I hope that you don’t mind me asking, who are you?”


The older woman in front of him smiled, the expression took years off her face.


“No I don’t mind,” she said wiping her eyes with a tissue, “My name is Aime; I was a friend of Sirius’ in school.” Harry nodded and then realisation struck him.


“If you knew Sirius you’ll probably have known Professor Lupin,” he said “He’s here you know, I’ll take you to him, he’s been really down; you might be able to…” Harry broke off. Aime was shaking her head.


“I doubt anything I said to Moony-” She paused and corrected herself “Remus, would make him feel better.” Aime said glumly. Harry however, had other ideas and grabbed her arm dragging her across the room to where Remus was comforting a sobbing Mundungus.


“Alright ‘Dung?” Aime said putting a hand on his shoulder.


“Aime…” Dung choked and threw his arms around her.


“Hello.” Remus said, he sounded tense. “Look Aime I just wanted to…”


Aime shook her head and disengaged the bear hug that ‘Dung had got her in, Remus shut up instantly.


“Don’t Remus, not here, besides I need to talk to you, will you come to the pub later? I’ve closed for the day, the wake can be there if you like, just get everyone to Floo over to the Dog and Stag would you?”


“Aime this means a lot to me you know, it would mean a lot to Sirius.” Remus stopped and collected himself; he could feel the hard lump rise in his throat and the tears prickle behind his eyes. Aime smiled and wrapped her arms around his neck and hugged him, for the first time in a long time he hugged her back.

****

Sirius had been in touch since he broke out of Azkaban. Aime had been stunned when a haggard looking Sirius had walked into the Dog and Stag and ordered two pints of Guinness and a Shepherds Pie, Aime had obliged him and it was of course on the house. Aime had also allowed Sirius to stay with her; she even lent him her parrot to take messages to Harry. One night after closing time, after Aime had collected all of the glasses, cashed up and had a coffee, Sirius walked into the living room silently behind her. His emaciated jeans and t-shirt clad form was disconcerting for Aime to see, especially when her fondest image of Sirius was when he was wearing his first leather jacket that summer at the Lupin’s house.



“Have you ever seen Harry?” Sirius had asked her quietly.


“No, not once,” Aime replied as she sipped her lukewarm coffee.

“He looks just like James, but with Lily’s eyes.” Sirius murmured.

“So he not a red head then?” Aime said a small smile playing on her lips.

“No. That’s Ron.” Sirius replied.

“I messed up Aime, I blamed the wrong man.” Sirius muttered quietly,

“I blamed the wrong man too Sirius,” Aime said looking into the nearly empty cup.

“Do you miss him?” Sirius asked.

“I miss him,” Aime stated simply, “I miss him more than anything in the world and I know exactly where he is, how stupid is that? I can’t even face him now to apologise. I am officially the dumbest Ravenclaw ever to grace the planet.”

Sirius smiled and the pair sat in silence watching the deep dark night turn into beautiful dawn. Orange, pink and red sunlight spilled across the room and bathed the reflective pair in colour. Finally Aime broke the silence.

“What’s Harry Like?” Aime asked quietly,

Sirius stretched and yawned, “Harry’s a good kid, and you’ll meet him soon,”

“What did you just say? What on earth do you have planned Black?” Aime said suddenly wide awake.

“I said he’s a good kid,”

“No stupid!” she punched him on the arm “the other part.”

“What the ‘you’ll get to meet him’ part? You’ll see!” Sirius lip curled upward into a devilish grin, much like his pre-Azkaban days. Aime grinned back at him, it had been a long time and she had greatly missed his company.

“I really used to fancy you Aime.” Sirius blushed,

“Why Sirius I do believe that you are blushing,” Aime chided, “Is that why you hung around at mine and Remus’ so long?”

Sirius nodded, “I just figured it was Remus that you fancied,” Sirius’ jaw dropped to his chest.

“You really thought that I fancied Remus? I didn’t even know you knew I was bi’”

Aime pursed her lips, smiled and said “I didn’t until 10 seconds ago.”

Sirius put his head in his hands, and then he started to laugh, “I knew I should have told you first.” Sirius said through guffaws, Aime laughed and nodded.

“Yes, yes you should have, but I guess I’ll forgive you. However for a guy who once demanded to be called Blass Lipstikk, you passed as straight for a long time. You know as apposed to greedy,” the pair of them laughed for a good twenty minutes about ‘Kitty Shinola and Blass Lipstikk’ until Aime could stay up no longer and went to bed to get a couple of hours before opening time at twelve.

Sirius puttered about in the kitchen trying to make pancakes and failing miserably, trying to make eggs and dropping them whilst trying to juggle, Sirius had finally figured out how to use the ‘damnable toaster’ when Aime appeared in the kitchen doorway danced over the dropped eggs and grabbed the coffee pot that was next to the cooker.

“Aime where’s the fire?” Sirius asked the hustling woman in the kitchen.

“I forgot something very important, I’ve got to go quick,” Aime said grabbing at the tea towel over Sirius shoulder. Once she had swigged her coffee and thrown the mug in the sink she ran out of the back door.

Sirius decided that he was going to busy himself through the day. Tidy up and the like but try as he might he couldn’t get Aime out of his head. Sirius decided that he was going to go and clear out the attic instead of mull over Aime and her purple hair. Sirius stuck his head through the attic door and was confronted with boxes covered in dust and spiders clinging on every rafter. He rolled up his sleeves ‘better get started’ he thought to himself. He lifted, he shifted, he dusted, polished and swept. When he had finished, the attic looked immaculate. Sirius decided that he was going to go and get a drink; he practically skipped down the stairs and into the kitchen. Sirius paused in the kitchen doorway; the lights were off all except for a little candle flickering in what looked to be a levitated birthday cake. Sirius exhaled.

“Aime?” he called out tentatively.

“Over here.” Aime said emerging from the pantry with a bottle of wine.

“What’s up?” Sirius asked.

“Nothing, You’ve forgotten haven’t you?” Aime said smiling.

“Forgotten what?” Sirius asked quietly.

“Typical Sirius, you forgot your own birthday! Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you,” she sang. The candle made her cheeks glow and her eyes shine, Sirius’ breath caught for a moment.

“Aww Aime you shouldn’t have.” Sirius said licking his lips.

“Course I should have,” she grinned, Aime handed Sirius the birthday cake. It was only really the size of a large muffin, but Sirius appreciated it all the same. Sirius broke the muffin in half and handed Aime a piece.

“Thank you.” Aime said, Sirius grinned at her and stuck his thumb squarely in the gooey sweet centre. ‘Smooth Sirius very smooth’ he thought to himself as he stuck his thumb in his mouth to try and erase the evidence of his faux pas. He glanced at Aime who was watching him intently. Aime leaned back onto the kitchen counter top. Unfortunatelt she miss estimated the distance and squashed the cake on to the tip of her nose. Aime shook her head whilst Sirius laughed at her misfortune. Aime raised her hand to wipe away the filling that currently resided on the tip of her nose, Sirius caught her hand.

“Here let me,” he said his voice soft and husky, he brought up his hand, not to her nose, but to the side of her face, he tilted her chin up towards him, he leaned in.

‘I don’t believe he’s doing this’ Aime thought,

‘I don’t believe I’m doing this’ Sirius thought,

Sirius leaned closer, lips closing around the tip of her nose; he flicked his tongue against her skin catching the sugary filling. His lips clung to her as he pulled away oh so slowly.

Their faces hovered only inches apart both fearing the rejection that they might find there, each found only a mirror for their fascination.

Aime leaned forward and kissed him, his lips tasted of sugar and chocolate, his lips tasted like Remus’.

“Sirius we can’t do this, I picked the wrong guy again, don’t hate me,” Aime whispered.

“I don’t hate you, I couldn’t if I tried,” Sirius said leaning his forehead gently on hers.

“I just needed to feel wanted.” Sirius grinned, that boyish grin of his. The one that made his eyes sparkle and the one that stopped many a female from functioning on all cylinders. Aime grinned wickedly back.

*****
Remus decided he was going to apparate to the pub. The last conversation that Aime and he had replaying in his confused brain.

“Aime It was Sirius,” Remus had said when he stumbled home from what used to be James and Lily’s house.

“It wasn’t, it can’t have been.” Aime’s eye’s glazed over; she sat on the kitchen table thunder struck.

“It was he was the only one that knew where they were!” Remus yelled temper flaring.

Aime glared at him, stomped out of the kitchen and to their bedroom. Remus followed her.

“It has to have been him Aime! Peter says he was with Dolores and I was looking for a fucking job.”

“Remus I am not taking Peter’s fucking word for his own whereabouts, I don’t trust him now and Dolores has had a weird influence on him, don’t even get me fucking started on you.” Aime screamed at him as she ripped her clothes from their hangers.

“Are you accusing me now?” Remus shouted.

“Yes I am! All this supposed job hunting and you could have been working for Voldemort all along!” Aime paused mid grab as she screamed at her boyfriend.

“Yeah that’s right Aime! Accuse the werewolf, I’m a fucking easy target for everyone else, why not you too?!”

“This has nothing to do with you being a werewolf! This has more to do with the fact that on our anniversary you were out screwing some bloke that you met in a pub. Chris was it? Connor? Whoever!”

Remus’ face fell. How did she know about Connor? Only one person knew about him and that was Peter and he wouldn’t tell Aime, he’d promised. Aime was stuffing her clothes untidily into her suitcase.

“Aime I’m…” Aime didn’t even look up, “Aime please look at me.” Remus continued, she still didn’t look up. “Aime it was a one time thing I never meant to hurt you.” then Aime looked up eye’s burning with hate.

“Remus you never wanted me to find out! If you didn’t want to hurt me, you wouldn’t have done it!”

Remus looked quietly at the purple whirlwind that was trashing their bedroom at the moment.

“Fuck you Remus, fuck your morals, fuck your women and fuck your men for that matter, fuck your damn sense of honour. He didn’t do it and if you’re too blind to see it, fuck you too! Goodbye!” the door slammed shut.

That was the last time Remus ever saw Aime, 12 years ago. His last memory was of her retreating back, ‘at least I can try and make amends now’. Remus took a deep breath and let it rush out in a hiss, he steeled himself and walked into the pub, Dumbledore, Snape and McGonagall were sat quietly in a corner. Minerva looked like she had just stopped crying; even Snape looked a little red eyed. Dumbledore looked old which Remus noted was no mean feat for a guy who could out quickstep a 30 something year old dance instructor. Harry, Hermione and Ron were sat near the fire place with ‘Dung who was no doubt introducing the trio to the joys of cirrhosis. Hermione sniffed at the shot that ‘Dung placed in front of her, wrinkled her nose and knocked it back quickly and shuddered at the taste. Arthur and Bill were talking quietly near the bar, Charlie was comforting Tonks who had been crying since the funeral.

“I’m surprised poor Tonks has any tears left to cry.” Aime said from behind Remus.

“Do you usually let minors drink in your pub?” Remus quizzed her nodding toward the tipsy trio, Aime smiled.

“What kind of honorary marauder do you think I’d be if I didn’t get Mini-Prongs drunk?” Aime replied quietly, this time it was Remus that smiled.

“Professor Lupin, would you come and sit with us?” Hermione asked. Remus nodded and went and sat with ‘Dung, Harry, Ron and Hermione. Aime retreated behind the bar and re-emerged moments later with a dusty old whiskey bottle in hand.

“Remember this Professor,” Aime said waggling the bottle between her thumb and forefinger.

“Oh good god!” Remus exclaimed,

“What?” Questioned Harry,

“This Mini-Prongs, is the first bottle that the Marauders ever used to play truth or dare with, provided of course by your Dad and Sirius.” Aime smirked as she perched on the chair beside Harry “Want to play a game for old time sake Remmy?” Remus glared at her.

“First, call me Remmy again and I will stick that bottle somewhere really tight and second I don’t think that the kids will appreciate your questions.” Remus replied tightly.

“Oh come on for absent friends? Please?” Aime grabbed at the final straw. Remus looked unimpressed, Harry Ron and Hermione looked eager, Dung looked sleepy. The professors excused themselves knowing full well that all in the room were obliged to play as were the marauders truth or dare rules. Molly and Arthur disappeared to the rooms that Aime had provided her guests which just left the trio and two ex-marauders. Hermione glanced around the room to survey who would be playing.

“So that’s how to clear a room with out magic.” Ron muttered.

“Shall we begin? In memory of absent friends, Sirius, James, Lily anymore to add” Aime asked with an air of ceremony.

“Cedric Diggory,” Harry put in, Aime nodded and placed the bottle on the table.

“Wait what ever truths are said in this room stays in this room, all dares must be legal.” Remus jumped in.

“Aww crap Moony you’re no fun, all questions are legal and must be answered,”

Aime spun the bottle the five of them held their breaths until it slowed to a halt and pointed straight at Hermione.

“Hermione, truth or dare?” Aime asked devilishly.

“Truth.” Hermione said

“Who was your first ever student/teacher crush.” Aime began.

Hermione blushed crimson, Ron grinned Harry looked like we was squirming for his friend, Hermione inclined her head towards an impassive looking Remus.

“Professor Lupin.” Hermione said. Harry cracked up; Ron looked like he was close to hysterical giggles, Remus blushed nearly as deeply as Hermione, Aime smiled. Hermione spun the bottle, it slowed and stopped and pointed at Remus.

“Dare!” Remus exclaimed standing.

“Fine I dare you to steal a pair of Tonks pants and wear them on your head for the next two spins.” Aime said.

“Fine.” Remus said and with a crack he apparated from the room. 5 minutes passed in stony silence. Remus re-appeared with a pop brandishing some pink pants with bright blue hippogriffs on them and promptly put them on his head. Harry looked on aghast as Aime flicked her wand and made the hippogriffs chase each other. Hermione was fighting back giggles. Ron was snorting into his pint of Guinness.

“It goes no further,” Remus said through gritted teeth. Remus spun the bottle it landed on Aime, she picked truth.

“Who was, or is the love of your life?” asked Remus snidely.

Aime didn’t miss a beat, “Darien Fawkes,” Remus’ eyebrows nearly took leave of his head. “I’m kidding! It was... Is Remus John Lupin, I always regretted storming out on him. He was funny and clever, and he had the biggest dic...” Remus clamped his hand over Aime’s mouth.

“I think that’s enough. I do like to think I have some privacy,” Remus stammered going slightly pink and removing his hand from Aime’s mouth,

“I was only going to say that he had the biggest dictionary I have ever seen,” Aime continued innocently looking around at the shocked faces at the table.

The game continued on into the early hours. Ron confessed to Hermione that he really fancied her, Harry sang ‘Blue Moon’ to a sleeping Dung. And finally the five of them woke Dung up, singing to ‘Werewolves of London’ by Warren Zevon, as a triple fluffy dare by Ginny who had woken up at the sound of Harry, who was now known as ‘The Boy who lived, but can’t carry a tune in a bucket’ singing. Ginny and Harry got together, much to Ron’s pleasure over a bottle of peach schnapps in the wee hours of Sunday morning.

Aime wandered off up to her living room tailed by Remus. Leaving the trio and Ginny to run riot down in the bar, Remus dropped onto the over stuffed couch, Aime re-appeared wearing a cotton night dress with a teddy bear on the front and carrying two mugs of what smelt like coffee to Remus.

“Hi,” Aime said as she sat down beside him tucking her long legs underneath her,

“Hi,” Remus said taking the coffee from her. The pair of them sat in an uncomfortable silence.

“Did you really mean what you said about...?” Remus’ question trailed off,

“About you having a big dictionary?” Aime smirked, Remus grinned.

“No, about me being the love of your life,”

“Every word,” Aime replied simply looking directly at Remus, “I still love you. I always have.”

“Why did you leave me then?” Remus asked his tone was almost childlike.

“I didn’t want to go through what my mum went through, totally selfish self preservation bollocks,”

Remus nodded and put his coffee down, he put his arm around her shoulders and she leaned into him. Aime rested her head on Remus’ shoulder.

“I’m sorry about Connor, I’m sorry about hurting you, it was just a stupid teenage fling that should never have happened, even once.” Remus whispered into her hair, Aime nodded as two hot drops of liquid hit Remus’ shirt, “Are you crying?” Aime nodded again.

“Remus I kissed Sirius the last time I saw him, are you mad at me?”

Remus shook his head, “I thought that Sirius was gay.”

“No he was bi, that’s why he spent so much time at ours, I could never decide if it was you or me he fancied at the time,” Remus laughed at that comment.

“Do you want to go upstairs?” Remus asked,

“Remus we are upstairs,” Aime sniped gently.

“Aime, do I have to spell this out to you? I love you! I want to apologise for being a jerk in private,”

“I was the jerk, I should apologise,” Aime said rising from the couch,

“I’m apologising first,” Remus said grabbing her wrist and pulling her back down,

“No me,” Aime said leaning towards him.

“No! Me!” Remus said wrapping his arm around her waist.

“Oh Sorry guys,” said Ron as he clamped his hand over his eyes, “Don’t go in there,” he mumbled to Hermione, “You don’t want to see that!”

Remus and Aime cracked up, Aime got off Remus knee.

“Well that killed it,” Remus said looked down at his crotch, Aime laughed at the dejected look on Remus’ face.

“So... Aime, how’s it going?” Remus said quickly regaining the earlier awkwardness that six pints and a pork pie had removed from him.

“To hell in a hand basket, if that is how fast you recover from a seduction!”

“I did wonder what you were doing straddling me,” Remus answered her with a grin; Aime shot him a deadly glare.

“Try again?” asked Remus, Aime shook her head.

“Your bloody students killed it,”

“Go on Aime,” Remus pleaded.

“I hate you,” Aime said with a grin planting a kiss on Remus’ lips.

“I hate you too,” Remus replied kissing her back.