Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATH OF THE OLD RULE by destinyseeker

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
HP AND THE DEATH OF THE OLD RULE

Disclaimer: This story is based on characters and situations created and owned by JK Rowling, various publishers including but not limited to Bloomsbury Books, Scholastic Books and Raincoast Books, and Warner Bros., Inc. No money is being made and no copyright or trademark infringement is intended.


CHAPTER 5

DUMBLEDORE’S PROPOSAL



“HARRY! HARRY! Where are you, mate?” Ron screamed as he set foot in the kitchen of number Twelve, Grimmauld Place. Everyone was back, but most were remaining silent, still in awe of the scene they had witnessed just a few moments before.

Ginny herself was on the verge of tears and flustered; her face showed she wasn’t at all happy with the current situation.

“Ron, you better find him, because if I do, I don’t know what I will do to him!” she hissed under her breath, obviously furious at the way Harry had treated her friend.

“Did you see her, Ron? Did you SEE her? She was bawling her head off, she didn’t even stop to say goodbye to us!! What on Earth did he tell her?”

Ginny was seething, hardly able to contain her anger.

“Let me handle this, Ginny, please … I’ll get to the truth!” Ron replied, and he started up the stairs towards Harry’s room. He then stopped abruptly after four steps, and changed direction. “The garden!” he said to himself, “he must be in the garden …”

The gang had been anxiously waiting in the lounging area of terminal 21 at the airport, searching for Hermione to make sure they bid her a proper goodbye, wished her the best, and even gave her small presents. It was Ginny and Ron that had seen Harry and Hermione first, from a distance. Harry had seemed really upset: red in the face, he was barking at Hermione quite loudly, with very animated hand gestures. Hermione’s reaction to his last statement had been desolating to witness: apparently horror-struck, her mouth had opened, and she had instinctively covered her face with her hands, eyes aghast, and ” almost instantaneously ” had started walking backwards in slow motion, as if repulsed by what Harry had just said and attempting to put a safe distance between them. She had then spun around and started walking rapidly towards the boarding gate, and she would probably have never seen Ron and Ginny if she hadn’t ran right into them. They had tried to stop her, but apparently unable to control herself, she had just shoved past them and waved them off with one hand while keeping the other on her face as a desperate attempt to hide the intense emotional turmoil she was in. As she had passed by, both of them had been shocked to see her whole face shining with tears ” she was also crying uncontrollably. Helpless, they had watched her go, entirely in the dark about what had just taken place.

The rest of the gang had looked even more clueless, shrugging their shoulders and nodding their heads, unable to understand what was going on. When Ron and Ginny had finally had the presence of mind to turn around and see where Harry had gone, he had apparently already left the airport.

Ron forcibly swung open the door to the garden, but to his surprise, Harry was nowhere in sight. He made sure to search around every corner: the yard being somewhat like a jungle of flowers these days, it was easy to remain concealed behind some of the flowerbeds and trees. As Ron retreated to go back in, however, he noticed that Harry’s broom was missing from the rack installed to that effect right to the left of the backdoor.

“I should have figured he went flying,” he muttered to himself. Ron decided to wait a while, and made his way towards the patio area further inside the yard. He sat down, and started to think about the last week’s events.

He was feeling somewhat guilty about not telling the entire truth about his relationship with Hermione. Maybe she had told him the real version, and he had misdirected his anger at her … Harry had seemed so anxious to find out what had happened.

First, Ron felt somewhat ashamed of the way he and Hermione had ended things, and didn’t feel Harry needed to know about that, since it was mainly a matter of his own stupid pride. Secondly, there was also something else Ron had told no one about. His relationship with Hermione had ended, but he was still debating what his true feelings towards her were. He still cared a lot for Hermione, and felt they had left too many things unsaid.

Hermione’s admission that maybe ” just maybe ” she was “supposed” to be with Harry a couple of years ago had been unequivocal, though. And Ron knew it: she loved Harry, even if she didn’t admit it to herself. He sighed heavily, and rolled his eyes. Even in his relationships, Ron felt he came second-best to Harry.

Ron was ashamed to admit that it was becoming increasingly hard ” for him, at least ” to be Harry’s friend. Harry didn’t look for it, but his fame and exploits did follow him everywhere ” and as Harry’s friend, Ron had to live somewhat in the shadows. He had been secretly trying to decide, for the last two years, if he would continue living the rest of his life this way. He was torn: he genuinely loved Harry, and couldn’t bear loosing his friendship. But his own pride was telling him otherwise, that he should be making his own way, which just didn’t seem to be possible with Harry around.

“If only I could get this gig with the Chudley Cannons, it would change everything”, Ron mused out loud … To his extreme satisfaction, Harry had not pursued Quidditch as a post-Hogwarts career. Ron was hoping that he could finally get recognized for what he was and his own talent, without being overshadowed or compared to Harry.

Ron was suddenly startled from his brooding by a small, fast-approaching silhouette up in the cloudless sky … Harry, it seemed, was on his way back.

--------------------

Harry was flying up, trying to get as high as he could, as fast as possible … The blue sky was now starting to turn into a darker shade of purple, stars seemed to be getting closer, and his breathing was becoming shallower. His own sweat were starting to settle in icicles around the neck of his robe, and the cold was biting him cruelly in the face ” he even doubted he could pry his hands off his broom handle. Had he been able to look beneath him, he would have been able to make the outline of Great Britain through the disparate clouds, well visible against the dark blue of both the Atlantic and the North Sea.

He didn’t care, though, and didn’t want to stop. He just wanted to lose himself within the stars, and find peace … Forget what had happened not even an hour ago, forget that Hermione had been there, forget that his stomach was now completely in knots, forget what a cowardly, selfish, insensitive and arrogant jerk he had been. And especially, forget ” that Hermione was gone, perhaps forever. The same Hermione he now missed terribly, more than anybody else, if it were at all possible …

Coming to grips to the fact that he wasn’t really equipped for space travel, he tilted his broom downward with a jerk of his shoulders, and started to leave the starry sky behind him. As he undertook his descent, he let out a loud, savage and piercing scream into the firmament, trying to expulse the pain, the shame and the sorrow that were eating at him inside…

“AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!”

Harry laid himself flat on his broom, and plunged downwards towards London. He was falling like a shooting star, and the rush of it felt incredibly amazing. For a moment, he thought of nothing else than the dizziness and elated sensation of the free fall, and felt content. It didn’t last long, though ” he started levelling his fall at around a thousand feet, knowing full well that he could lose consciousness if he let himself fall too long without restraint.

The buildings of London started to come into view, and he finally arrived in sight of the enclosure of number Twelve. He saw, in the distance, a tall, lanky red-haired figure sitting on one of the chairs…

“Ron”, he thought to himself. “Great, now I’ll get a lecture from the dishonest red head!”

He pulled his broom up, slowing down his descent, entertaining thoughts of turning away. Did he really feel like facing the music, especially if Ginny decided to show her face too? He didn’t know what to do at first, but with the little energy he had left, he finally decided to get it over with. Hermione was gone, there was almost no hope she would ever speak to him again, and he determined he might as well get this done so that he could be left alone to cry and sulk, and to try to piece what was left of his life back together.

He landed softly on the tip of his toes, and deliberately went past Ron without a word to put his broom back on the rack.

“I hope you’re happy, mate … Goodness! You sure made a spectacular exit at the airport!” Ron said with bitterness and harshness.

Harry smirked, and replied coldly, “As horrible as it may have been, I didn’t try to hide, and I didn’t lie to a friend to cover up my blunders!”

Ron’s face turned red instantly, but he managed to contain himself.

“We’ll talk about me later!! What the hell, mate? You hurt her Harry, you REALLY hurt her! I’ve never seen her like that, not ever! What happened?”

Unexpectedly, Harry fell down on the chair beside Ron’s, bent down and laid his face in his hands, then suddenly started sobbing hard, to the point of uncontrollable shaking … All he could manage, between sobs, was a barely audible “I know, I know …”

Ron was furious, but he was nevertheless moved by this breakdown of Harry’s. He had never seen him broken like this, and from his standpoint it looked genuine.

“Mate, let’s calm down, and talk about it”, he said on a more conciliatory tone. He let him cry for a while, until Harry finally managed to get it back together sufficiently to sit up, wipe his face, and look up at Ron.

“I’m ” I’m so sorry, Ron, I ” there’s no way to rationally explain what happened … I just snapped, I guess … I have a hard time controlling my temper, and Hermione ” well, she … ” she’s so hard to figure out these days, and I just couldn’t bear the thought of ” oh, my God, Ron, I ” ”

Harry paused and looked at Ron, who seemed quite intrigued at what Harry was trying to say. Ron shifted in his chair, and with a tilt of his head encouraged Harry to continue.

“Go on, mate, I ” we all ” want to know what happened!”

Harry looked down, and with a whisper, continued. “I couldn’t bear to see her go, not after what had just happened … and ” and then it hit me : my parents left me, Sirius left me, Hagrid is gone too, and she was about to do the same … Why would she? After a kiss like that, and our evening together a few days before … Why is it that everyone who say they love me end up leaving me? I just got really angry, and lashed out with everything I could grab onto.”

Ron’s heart sank for a short moment, as he pondered some of the things Harry had just said. Had he really heard the word “kiss”?

“Wait ” what exactly did you say ””

“THERE YOU ARE! YOU JERK!” Ginny had had enough of waiting, and burst into the yard like a raging tornado.

Harry was caught by surprise. His reflexes made him get up and go towards Ginny to try to calm her down. “Ginny, please, I was just telling Ron that ””

SMACK!! Ginny slapped Harry real hard across the face, and despite his tall frame he buckled under the blow. Speechless, he backed up a few feet and just sat back down on his chair … Looking at the brick tiles of the patio, he gently massaged his cheekbone with his hand, right where Ginny had hit him. He knew he deserved it.

“Good one, this may leave me with a black eye”, he whispered as he tried to look up at Ginny with a forced smile.

“And I hope it hurts, too! I am SO angry Harry! If I had known how you would behave today, I would have never told you what I did the other day!

“GINNY PLEASE!” Ron interjected, standing up between his sister and his best friend, possibly trying to shield him from another blow. “Look, Harry and I are talking about this, okay? One more person will not help, especially you! You are way too upset, just … Just let me handle this, all right?”

Ginny shot her brother a fiery look of disbelief, and spun around and left as abruptly as she had arrived …

Ron looked at Harry, whose eye was already swelling. “She really decked you, mate … Are you okay?”

“Yeah, I’ll live… Can’t say I don’t deserve it!” Harry tried to laugh, despite the seriousness of the overall situation.

“Hey, what’s this?” Ron interjected, looking up.

They were interrupted by a huge, tawny owl swooping down to deliver a letter to Harry. On it was the official Hogwarts crest, and Harry recognized the writing at once.

“This is Dumbledore’s writing”, he said, looking perplexed … “Why would Dumbledore write me, I thought we were finally finished with school!”

Ron had apparently forgotten all anger, and was as excited as they had been back in school when mail arrived. “Well open it, mate, let’s see!”

Harry hesitated, caught unaware as a painful memory crept on him. When they were at school, Hermione was almost always there when they opened their mail together. He finally tore the envelope open, and took out an official looking letter written on Albus Dumbledore’s personal stationary.

Dear Harry,

I am sure that you were not expecting to hear from Hogwarts this soon. However, there are some important matters needing to be discussed before the start of the next school year for which your presence would be greatly appreciated.

I suggest a meeting this coming Friday morning, at 9 am, in my office at Hogwarts. Let me know by return owl if this is suitable for you.

Yours,

Albus Dumbledore

“Wicked”, Ron whispered, a hint of worry appearing on his face. “What do you reckon it means, Harry? Could it have anything to do with Vol ” You-Know-Who?”

Harry’s mind was now working frantically. Voldemort had died shortly after he had managed to break the Cruciatus curse … His shrivelled up body had been found on the grounds at Hogwarts, and though his face had been barely recognizable, there was no mistaking what was left of the remaining corpse. Or was there?

“I have no idea, Ron … I don’t think so, I mean ” I killed him, er, he died trying to kill me just a few weeks ago. There’s no way … No, this must be about something else.”

Harry was trying to fathom the reasons that could prompt Dumbledore to request a meeting with him, less than a month before school start. Then his stomach sank as he realized there could only be one reason …

“I must have failed one of my NEWT exams, that’s got to be it! Great! I’m going to have to take more classes to make it up! Yeah, that’s got to be it, I see nothing else.” Harry’s mood positively went down the toilet as it dawned on him that he would have to be in school without his friends. He’d be laughed at by all those who were looking for flaws in the great Harry Potter ” the boy who couldn’t even graduate from school.

Even Ron’s face, which showed a sad mix of sadness and pity, confirmed that this had to be the reason of the summons to Dumbledore’s office.

“Come on”, Ron said apprehensively, “it won’t be that bad … Ginny still has a year left, and you know a lot of people still …”

Harry smirked as he blurted, “Yeah, sure, the same Ginny who just now almost knocked me out … This is going to be a great year! Just amazing …”

Conveniently abandoning their conversation of before, Harry got up and went in the house, still shaking his head in disbelief.

Ron was left by himself, and started wondering why he was so jealous of Harry’s life after all …

--------------------

Harry was pacing Dumbledore’s office nervously, waiting for the Headmaster to show up. Professor McGonagall had let him in, but had warned him that Dumbledore had had to tend to an urgent matter in the morning, and that he was due any minute ” but nobody knew where he had gone.

Harry’s anxiety level was at an all time high. He had expected the morning to be dreadful, but so far it had been absolutely disastrous. He had first woken up at dawn with a start, his scar burning and throbbing with such excruciating pain that he had thought he would faint ... He was the used to a continual, dull ache, but this was new: it was quite reminiscing of the days when Voldemort was alive, and Harry felt his every emotion; yet, it wasn’t exactly the same ” it seemed more intense, more deliberate. He didn’t quite know what to make of it, but knew for sure that it couldn’t be good.

Secondly, he had come to Hogwarts with mounting apprehension only to find out that he had to do some more waiting … And third, there had been this weird look on Professor McGonagall’s face as she led him to the Headmaster’s study, a sort of ominous stare that he had never seen before, in his seven years as McGonagall’s student.

“This day”, Harry said to himself, “is going to be worse than the one before yesterday the airport …”

The familiar instruments in Dumbledore’s office seemed more agitated than usual. There was smoke coming from some of them, and one was spinning particularly fast. Another one, comparable to some kind of gyroscope, was whirring intensely. And in the corner laid the Pensieve, from which a white, billowing vapour was coming; even though he was tempted, Harry knew better this time than to peek inside for a look …

“Good morning, Harry”, said a soft, very calm voice.

Surprised, Harry turned around and almost lost his balance at the sight of Professor Dumbledore, who had just stepped in and was immediately behind him. The old wizard looked really tired, and worry was clearly visible in his face. He slowly went behind his desk, and with calm, deliberate gestures, he invited Harry to sit in one of the chairs facing his desk.

“Er, good morning, professor”, Harry replied as he sat down.

Dumbledore remained silent for a moment, and joined his hands in front of him before he spoke. He went straight to the point.

“Harry, I have summoned you here for a very important reason … As you know, you have now completed your regular years of schooling at Hogwarts, which were focused on a path of study that could allow you to begin training as an Auror … However, a quick look at your school file, including your latest exam results, and also your ” how shall we call it? ” record of ‘extra-curricular’ activities has shed, I believe, new light on the matter …”

Harry bit his lip, took a deep breath and braced himself to hear what he had been expecting for the last two days ” that his results had not been up to par.

“Mr. Potter”, continued the Headmaster, on a rather unexpected deferential tone, “I have obtained a unanimous agreement from the Board of directors of Hogwarts to extend you an official invitation to become our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, for the school year beginning next September.”

Dumbledore paused, and smiled broadly at Harry, seemingly amused at the look of shock on Harry’s face.

It took a few seconds for the statement to sink in. Harry’s jaw fell, and he let out the breath he had been holding … “I ” I ” I beg your pardon? Are you telling me I DIDN’T fail any of my NEWT exams?”

“Certainly not, Harry, you actually obtained spectacular results … And it seems to us that having someone who almost single-handedly obtained victory over Lord Voldemort would know a thing or two about defending oneself against the Dark Arts … Not to mention you’ve taught such a class before!”

Harry was at a complete loss for words. He wanted to speak, but was in such a state of shock that he wasn’t able to utter any intelligible word whatsoever.

But Dumbledore was now looking at Harry more intensely.

“This decision was made a week ago. At the time, I had been instructed by the Board to give you a few days to think about it before you gave us an answer. However, a new situation has arisen that prompts me to request an answer by the end of today …

Dumbledore’s eyes came into an intense focus, and the Harry recongnized the familial piercing gaze that usually went right through him.

“It seems, I am afraid, that Voldemort ” or at least, his essence ” has risen once more … I don’t know exactly how or when it happened, I have a few theories, but I must consult with other sources first.”

“WHAT? So ” that’s why my scar hurt this morning! But I don’t understand, I thought he had died when I broke the curse! We found his body ” how is it possible?” Harry’s heart was beating extremely fast, and he found himself reliving the entire last year.

The Headmaster’s face expression had become terribly grave, and there was a sense of urgency in his voice. He kept looking at the clock on his desk.

“Harry, we will talk about the matter in more details in a few days. But for the time being, I must urge you, Harry, for the safety of our students ” and yours ” to accept becoming their teacher. Furthermore, I can’t tell you exactly why, but my instincts tell me to insure that you keep close to Miss Granger, don’t let her too far out of your sight.”

Harry’s heart instantly skipped a beat. “What? Is Hermione in danger?”

Dumbledore smiled faintly; he obviously knew that Harry’s relationship to Hermione was … challenging, these days to say the least.

“Just make sure you can keep close tabs on her. She’ll be okay if she is close to you. And ” if I may?”

Harry was really dumbfounded now. What was going on with Hermione? Even Dumbledore seemed to want to involve himself with that whole mess.

Dumbledore looked at Harry with fatherly compassion, and said softly. “I once gave your father this advice, a long time ago, concerning a young girl going by the name of Lilly … Listen to your heart, it will tell you what to do ” then do it, don’t delay.”

Harry was didn’t quite know what to say. “Er, ” Sir? What exactly does ””

But Dumbledore cut him off, apparently not finished. “And last, but not least …”

Harry looked up at Dumbledore. He saw the familial face expression that usually preceded the revelation of something important; he had seen it often when Professor Dumbledore had been about to share a life-changing fact with Harry, something he had done quite a few times during his seven years at Hogwarts.

“I am convinced”, continued Dumbledore as he stood up, “that becoming an Auror would greatly limit your potential as a wizard … I have come to glimpse, in seven years, what you true destiny might be. That is why I intend, starting this year, to start training you personally in some of the powerful magic I have come to master myself. That is, of course, if you are willing …”

Once again, Harry was speechless. He managed to catch his breath, and whisper, “I accept, I accept … Both propositions …”

--------------------

“HARRY, HARRY! I CAN’T BELIEVE IT!”

Back from Hogwarts, Harry had just walked in the kitchen when he had been almost knocked over by a definitely excited Ron, who was jumping and screaming all over the place. Harry noticed he was holding a letter with a big red and gold crest on it … There was no mistaking where it had come from.

“Read, mate, read it!” said Ron excitedly … He had obviously been waiting for Harry to return to tell him.

Dear Mr. Weasley,

We are please to inform you that your performance during the Cannons’ try-outs were absolutely impressive, and we would like to offer you the position of number one keeper on the team.

Season starts officially on October 1st. We request that all players who have been selected to present themselves at the entrance hall of the Chudley Cannons’ offices in London, where they will be fitted for their uniform, and meet the members of the management team to discuss salary issues.

The first team practice will take place on October 2nd, and the training schedule will be handed out at the same time. The first official Quidditch game is scheduled for Saturday, October 24th; the Cannons will be receiving the visiting team from Ireland at Chudley’s International Quidditch Stadium.

Once again, congratulations, and we look forward to having you on the team.

Yours truly,


Jerome Banniston
General Manager and Head coach
The Chudley Cannons


Harry was overcome by a deep, genuine feeling of happiness. If anybody deserved it, it was Ron. “Congratulations, Ron, that is EXCELLENT news!” Harry said, with the widest grin he had ever produced.

Ron couldn’t stay in one place for more than one or two seconds. “I guess I really impressed them with the saves I made against their best chaser, Ian Finkle, or ” perhaps it was the way I can really turn quickly on my broom … No! It must have been when I turned upside down on my broom to stop a really strong quaffle throw from Angus McPharlane, another excellent chaser. Harry, d’you know what this means?”

Harry was truly enjoying the moment, he had rarely seen Ron this happy. “No, mate, what?”

“I can get you free tickets to the games!! It will be like old times at school!”

Harry’s face dropped as he finished Ron’s thought process in his head. “Except for Hermione, of course … She ” she’s not here anymore, it’s not like she can travel here for games.”

A shadow fell on Ron’s face as he thought of this problem. But he replied as if he had just been struck by a genial idea. “Yeah, that’s too bad! But you know, we will play against Romania at some time! We can organize a trip there, and it will be great!”

Harry smirked. “You really have this all figured out, mate! You know, Ron … Hermione … She will really be proud of you. And ””

Harry paused, and Ron saw by his face that he was trying to hold back some tears.
Ron motioned him to continue. “It’s okay Harry, things will get better with Hermione, it’s just a matter of ””

“No, that’s not what I wanted to say, Ron … I just wanted to tell you that I’m proud too. I know it’s hard to be my friend sometimes, and I know I get a lot of people’s attention. Thank you for sticking with me, all these years! And for once, I’m really glad you got the spotlight, and not me!”

Ron could hardly believe it. Not quite knowing what to say, he just threw his arms around Harry and hugged him. Harry hugged back, and down deep inside they both knew, right then and there, that they would always be friends.

Ron slowly backed away, and his eyes lit up suddenly as he remembered something. “Hey, how did that meeting with Dumbledore go? What was it about? Tell me!”

Harry didn’t want to take Ron’s moment away. “Oh, it wasn’t that bad after all, I won’t have to take classes, I passed my exams … But I’ll tell you the details later! Why don’t we go to the Leaky Cauldron to celebrate your news!”

“Great, let’s go!” Ron was almost already out the door …

--------------------

This should be easy, Harry thought to himself as he re-read the letter. He looked up at the clock on his desk: it was almost two in the morning, and he was really tired ” but couldn’t sleep. They had celebrated Ron’s newly found fame all afternoon at the Leaky Cauldron, and on the spur of the moment, someone ” nobody remembered exactly who ” had suggested they organise an impromptu game of Quidditch for the evening. It had been exceptionally fun: owls had been sent, news had travelled really fast, and almost all their school friends that were still in the London area had managed to show up for the game, almost as if they were back in school. Angelina Johnson had left work early to join them; Alicia Spinnet who was already at the Cauldron, had stayed and of course, Fred, George and Ginny had been more than willing to take part. Harry had proven once more that he was still the best seeker not playing Quidditch professionally, by catching the snitch for Ron’s team after a gruelling match of almost five hours. And this despite Ginny, who played seeker on Angelina’s team, and who had been quite happy obstructing him all evening.

But despite the amazing events of the day ” he still couldn’t believe he was going to be the next DADA teacher at Hogwarts in less than two weeks ” and all the celebrating, Harry felt knotted inside. Many times during the game, he had looked instinctively at the sidelines where many friends were cheering them on, looking for the one face that truly mattered. But of course, she hadn’t been there. Hermione would have been really glad to hear about Ron’s good fortune, she would have been proud of Harry for becoming ” despite everything ” a teacher, and she would have really enjoyed the day. But there was more to Harry’s despair than just Hermione’s absence.

For one thing, he felt absolutely horrible. Sure, over the years, he and Ron had said or done some things that had made Hermione unhappy, or that even hurt her feelings one way or another. But he kept reliving his last moments with her over and over, and he couldn’t understand why he had been so harsh with her. He was feeling a mixture of rage, sadness, profound guilt, and most of all, his heart was aching just knowing he had really ” really ” hurt Hermione this time. This was an insoluble paradox to him ” countless times he had risked his life without ANY hesitation for her, so often he had acted instinctively to shield her from harm … But this time had really counted, and he had been unable to protect her … from himself.

And then there was the other thing … Hermione was now more than a friend, he could at least admit that. Harry had been sitting at his desk for nearly an hour now, going over and over the events of the last few days. Was he falling in love with her? Harry wasn’t sure, but one thing was certain: he couldn’t stop thinking about her, he longed to wrap his arms around her, he would have given anything to just play with her hair and bury his own face in it ” more than anything, he just desperately wanted to be with her. The true reason why he hadn’t told Ron about his new position at Hogwarts was that he wanted to tell Hermione first. And their kiss goodbye had been ” well, it had been the single most wonderful moment of his life, unlike anything he had ever felt … He suddenly had the very sickening impression that he had lost something precious that day at the airport.

“Come on Potter, you’ve got to break the ice … Just write, and see what comes out!”

But Harry couldn’t bring himself to do it. After another half-hour of staring at a blank roll of parchment, he gave up.

“I can’t apologize in writing, the whole idea is ludicrous … I have to do something more meaningful”, Harry said to himself.

He started pacing his study, wondering what he could do to convince Hermione that he felt horribly bad about his behaviour, and that he was miserable.

He was suddenly struck by an idea. He ran to the drawer of his nighttable in his bedroom, opened it, and took out a small jewelry box. He carefully opened it, and looked at a delicate, beautiful pearl necklace, with a small heart shaped medallion in the middle, on which the word “forever” was engraved … When Harry had inheritated Sirius’ estate, he had found a chest in the attic with Sirius’ most prized possessions. The necklace and its box had been inside, with a small note in James Potter’s handwriting attached to it.

Sirius,

This is what I intend to give Lilly this year for our wedding anniversary. I can’t keep it at our house, because she will find it, you know how she is! I will come and get it from you soon.

Thanks a lot!

James

Harry couldn’t hold back tears as he gazed at it. This would have belonged to his mother, had she not been killed a couple of days later by Voldemort. He paused for a while. His mother would have loved Hermione ” from what he had learned over the years, Lilly Potter had been a lot like her.

Finding it had meant the world to Harry, but now, he just knew deeply that he wanted to give it to Hermione ” not as a “bribe”, but because he truly felt she should have it.

He carefully wrapped the box, and wrote a small note to go with it. After Hedwig had left with the package, he hoped that perhaps Hermione would get what he was trying to tell her.

--------------------

Breakfast the next morning was quiet. Harry and Ron had both woke up late, and were enjoying their meal silently. Ron, however, seemed absorbed by something, and kept casting furtive glances at Harry.

Harry himself was somewhat preoccupied. He kept thinking about Dumbledore’s insistance on keeping an eye on Hermione. With a sense of foreboding, Harry was becoming increasingly worried.

Harry noticed Ron’s glances, and at first, said nothing. But after a while, he couldn’t take it anymore.

He looked at Ron. “What’s the matter, mate? Is everything okay?”

Ron’s cheeks went pink, somewhat. “Er, Harry, did you ”” Ron was clearly uncomfortable. “The other day, did you say you and Hermione, er, kissed?”

Harry sighed. I miss her so much, he thought to himself. He couldn’t believe it had just been three days.

He stared at Ron dreamily. “Yeah, just before I lost it at the airport … But it wasn’t just ” a friendly kiss, it was … It was more than that.”

Ron gave Harry a worried look.

“Harry, do you … Do you have feelings for her? Besides being ‘friends’, I mean …”

Harry thought about it for a moment.

“Well, I’m confused, Ron. All I know is ” I miss her terribly, and long to be with her. I’ve always liked her a lot, but it’s ” I feel different about her somehow, and yet, it’s like I’ve been feeling that way the whole time. Is that love? Man, I wish Sirius was still here!”

Ron was grinning from ear to ear, and was surprised to find out that this piece of news didn’t bother him as much as he had expected. In fact, he felt genuine happiness for both his friends.

Harry suddenly brought his hand on his face. “I’m sorry, Ron … Maybe I shouldn’t be talking like this to you about Hermione … She told, me you know.” Harry hesitated and looked up at Ron before he continued. “About your last fight, and your break-up, I mean.”

Ron looked embarassed. “Yeah, I figured it out by what you said the other day. I’m sorry I didn’t share that part, I didn’t feel too proud of it.”

Harry suddenly realised what he was doing. “Look, Ron, if this is weird to you, just say so! Maybe you and Hermione need to work things out, I won’t stand in the way …”

Harry’s heart, however, sank at the thought of letting go of Hermione that way.

Ron started laughing out loud.

“It’s okay, Harry. I do need to talk to Hermione, but for another reason. But I can let you in on a secret, I think.”

“What?”

Ron whispered as he said it. “She is madly in love with you, Harry. She refuses to see it or even admit it, she’s terrified of it, but there’s no denying it. I saw it, from up close.”

Ron looked down, ashamed to look Harry in the eyes. “It really bothered me at first ””

He paused, searching for the right words to finish his sentence.

“” but I see now that it’s meant to be that way”, he continued, meeting Harry’s bewildered gaze.

Harry was in awe of Ron’s maturity about this. He was about to say something when Ron stopped him.

“I’m really happy, Harry. Hermione is more like a sister to me, there’s no doubt ” I was just jealous of you, of the fact that things always go your way …”

Harry didn’t know what to reply. Maybe Hermione did fancy him, but that was before the airport.

But one thing had become undeniably urgent now.

Harry had to see her.