Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Someone to Die For by Ella Norman

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A few weeks passed. I was still paranoid about the inside organization, but less so since Adrienne had willingly squashed my hopes of finding out who it was. In reality, the criminal sat right under my nose, but I was unwilling to believe that I knew such a person and interacted with him or her daily.

In the Weasley household, we were delighted to find that Bill and Fleur were expecting their first child. This was a cause for great celebration among the Weasleys, for this was their first grandchild of the clan. Personally, I was overjoyed, for small children always excited me. This was the first time I truly realized what I was missing by being out of touch with Ron. Family, friends, happiness. Ron was my source, and I had finally tapped into the love that was there.

I, however, had other problems on my hands. Work was getting increasingly more stressful, as more and more casualties flooded in. I was overwhelmed with my work, but somehow I managed to find time to think about Ron. It was a miracle. He was not clouding my mind; he was clearing it. I had only to look upon his face to find the strength to go on.

So this is love.

Yes; I knew that it was. Such a powerful thing I had never felt before in my life, and I was always singing. My heart was singing melodies never written, and my soul was soaring.

There was one problem.

Ron was still unconscious.

I hated to see him in that state, helpless and alone. I wanted him to wake up, to wake him up, and I felt helpless because all I could do to help him was make him comfortable. I wasn’t used to that sort of thing. For as long as I could remember, I had been the one to call when you couldn’t figure something out. Now in these days when I was helpless, I didn’t know what to do.

Around the hospital, no matter what kind of day I was having, I was still required to do my duties as usual. I was at home, getting ready to leave when something hit me. I still didn’t know who was endangering the life of my Ron.

I went to the Weasleys more often than I had ever expected. They loved my company, and always wanted new reports on Ron and Neville. When Neville was released, they shared in my joy, and they shared in my sorrow when things of less happy cause occurred. They became my second family, and they adored me as their own child. Now that Ginny was married, I became a second daughter to Mrs. Weasley. I spent many long afternoons and early evenings discussing the day’s events. There were even times when I would accompany her on the family’s shopping trips and keep her in good company.

All the while, however, Adrienne’s state was at the back of my mind. I had spoken to her many times since that night, but every time she was just as steadfast. She was a changed individual, and I could hardly see the girl that I once knew in her.

We still worked the night shifts together, she and I, but we never connected in the same way again. Before we had been friends “ best of friends, but now we were merely co-workers, acquaintances. We had to be near each other “ it wasn’t a happy thing. I began to feel lonely on the night shifts. Adrienne was near me, but she wasn’t my friend anymore.

Ever since I had begun working in St. Mungo’s, I had always worked within the Psychiatric Ward. I told Alice Longbottom most of my secrets, but now that Ron was there, I could tell him everything.

“Adrienne isn’t acting right,” I told him, smoothing his hair. “Ever since I told her about their plot to hurt you, she hasn’t been right. I don’t know what to do with her anymore.”

I slipped my hand into his and continued.

“I wish you were awake, Ron,” I said, squeezing his hand and running my thumb along his palm. “The things I would tell you!”

I kissed his cheek and proceeded onto the next bed, where Emmeline Vance sat, her eyes very round. “Emmeline,” I called, reaching out and taking her hand.

She looked at me and sat up. “Yes, Hermione?” she said, smiling. I looked with pity upon the five-year-old trapped in a fifty-four-year-old’s body.

“Emmeline, what day is it?” I asked quietly.

“Friday,” she answered, folding her hands. I smiled. At least she could now remember the days of the week.

I pulled at the shirt I was wearing. “Emmeline, do you remember what color this is?”

“Blue,” she answered promptly, pleased with herself. I smiled again.

“Very good.” I brushed her hair out of her face. “Tomorrow we’ll do this again, all right?”

“Yes,” she said eagerly. I left her and went to the next bed, where Mr. Yates lay.

“Edgerton?” I called, approaching his bed.

“Yes?” he croaked, sitting up. The man was nearly recovered, and I was so proud of his progress. He had developed a nervous twitch from his bout with the Cruciatus Curse, but other than that he was a healed man.

“Hello,” I said, sitting on the edge of his bed. “We may be able to send you home soon. Would you like that?”

“Yes, I would,” he said eagerly, sitting up straighter. Then he lowered his tone, “I should also like to meet Frank and Alice Longbottom.”

“Why?” I asked curiously. “Why do you want to meet them?”

“To see how lucky I’ve been,” he said gravely, stroking his beard. “They’ve had so much worse than I.”

I nodded in consent. “All right,” I said. “Tomorrow we’ll go to see them.”

He nodded and rolled over in his bed. Emmeline was almost fast asleep already, and neither was looking. My lips grazed Ron’s cheek, and I hurried from the room.

I arrived back in the Healer’s lounge a few minutes later, where Hannah was waiting for me. “Heading out?” she yawned, stretching her arms toward the ceiling and leaning back in her chair.

“Yep,” I replied. “It’s been a long day. People with no memory require more work than one could ever assume.”

“Indeed,” Hannah agreed, taking a sip of her tea. “There’s one in my ward. He’s impossible.”

“He replaced Neville, I assume?” I sighed, flopping down beside her.

“Yes, he did.” Hannah smiled. “Neville was a pleasure to work with, though.”

“He “ what?” I asked, blinking at her. “You’re not “”

“I saw him yesterday,” she giggled, her eyes shining. “We’re going to an opera house this weekend.”

“Hannah!”

“What?” she said innocently, batting her eyelashes. “He asked me!”

“All right,” I sighed, incredulous. “The best to you, I suppose.” Hannah smiled. I stood up slowly and turned to face the door. “Merlin, I can’t remember anything anymore,” I murmured. I turned to Hannah. “I left my ID upstairs; I’ll be right back down.”

With a pop, I was gone.

I appeared in the doorway of the Michske Ward, and a strange sight met my eyes. “Krapf?” I commented, looking appraisingly at her. “What are you doing here? You don’t work the day shift.”

Adrienne rolled her eyes. “Just because I don’t work now, Granger,” she said snidely, pursing her lips, “doesn’t mean I can’t stop in with old friends.”

“You know Ron?” I asked immediately, not even stopping to consider any other possibilities. Such a change had been wrought in me since Ron’s arrival that even logic was excusable in these times. All that mattered was Ron’s safety. “How do you know him?”

“I don’t know him,” she said, turning away from him to face Emmeline. “I know this one. She’s my aunt.”

I stood there, flabbergasted. If Adrienne wasn’t here for evil purposes, then why was she still uptight?

“She won’t remember you,” I stated openly. “I’m the only one whose name she can remember “ apart from her own.” I gave a weak smile, which Adrienne did not return.

“Yes, I know. I’ve been here for about a quarter hour. Thanks for clearing that up.” She sneered at me and headed for the door. “See you around.”

I furrowed my brow as I watched her back go. She shouldn’t have been here. I wasn’t about to call her on it, but I knew that it was four o’clock, and I had left the ward less than five minutes ago.

There was something very fishy going on. This was the beginning of the end.

I turned to Ron. “Oh, if only you knew what was really going on,” I sighed, bending down and kissing his forehead. “Everything would be so much easier.”

I appeared back down in the lounge and said goodbye to Hannah. As I was walking out, someone caught me by the elbow. When I turned around, I was face to face with Redman.

“Miss Granger,” he said, bowing low and kissing my hand, which I pulled away from him. He had remembered his façade, it seemed, and I wasn’t about to let him get away with it. I lowered my tone.

“Be careful, Redman,” I said, narrowing my eyes. “I know what you’re up to.”

A few seconds later, I was gone.



*Sorry, short ... ish shot! I wanted to finish it, and that was all I wanted to put in this chapter. Actually, it’s more of a filler with a crucial bit of information.

**For all you H/G shippers, I have story written called 'Breaking the Habit.' If you like the dramatic feel of this, I suggest you check it out. Thanks again!