Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

James' Pain by Secret_soul

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
No, there's nothing half so sweet in life as love's young dream.
-- Thomas Moore 1779-1852: 'Love's Young Dream' (1807)


Love

Lily collapsed onto the ground, sobbing.

"James? James?"

But she knew it was no use. She wouldn't be able to find him in this light; she could barely even see her own hands. Her body was numb and her eyes hurt from the amount of tears flowing from them. She ran her stiff fingers through her icy cold hair.

"I give up,” she whispered to herself, "I can't do this anymore."

She looked up to the blackened sky, looking for a small ray of light. Anything that could help her find James. But all she could see were clouds. She grasped her wand in her frozen hand and stood, she couldn't just sit there while James could be anywhere, in pain, needing help.

Stumbling over some tree roots, she staggered back towards the Quidditch pitch. Her eyes scanned what she could see of her surroundings. Judging by the stands around, she needed to go left. She turned and, up ahead, saw something or someone, lying on the ground.

"James?"

She ran forward and fell to her feet. It was James, unconscious and bleeding. Quickly, she felt for a pulse.

"Thank God!"

She could feel a steady pulse, beating away. She took off her cloak and draped it over him, exposing her thin robes to the rain and wind. She bent to kiss him on the cheek, but he turned his head and she got his lips, she began to pull away but then she felt him kiss back. She lifted her head and took his hand.

"It's going to be ok; everything's going to be ok."

And she felt, in her heart, that maybe she was right. Maybe it would be ok, maybe it would all turn out ok.

***

Early next morning Sirius, Remus and Peter made their way down to the Quidditch pitch. They had noticed that Lily hadn't returned, with or without James. They stepped out, into the crisp, clear morning. It was hard to believe that the sky had ever been so black and the wind so harsh.

"Lily? James?" Sirius yelled, skimming the Quidditch pitch for signs of the couple. "There they are," he cried to the others.

They ran over and stopped short. Lily had her arms around James and was crying softly, James was lying, unconscious on top of her. They were both soaked through, Lily especially. Sirius saw that she had used her cloak to keep James warm. This is how it should be, he thought.

Sirius gently reached out and took Lily's hand.

"Come on, we better get you two to the hospital wing."

Remus levitated a stretcher for James, and him and Peter lifted James onto it and started to guide it back to the castle. Sirius looked at Lily; she seemed unable to move. Quickly he lifted her up, over his shoulder, and carried her back to the castle.

***

"Oh my goodness, what on Earth happened to these two?" Madame Pomfrey asked as she blinked at Lily and James.

"Long story, " said Sirius, laying Lily on a nearby bed, "will they both be ok? I would hate to think that falling in love killed James."

"Miss Evans should be fine after a bit of rest and a potion to warm her up but Mr. Potter…"

"He's going to be ok, isn't he?" A weak voice asked.

"It may take time Miss Evans, but he'll be fine."

Lily lay back on her bed in relief; he was going to be fine. They were going to be fine; there was just the small matter of Sirius. She sighed as she got into some warm, dry clothes. Madame Pomfrey poured a warming liquid down her throat. She would speak to Sirius later, but right now she needed to sleep. Across from her lay James, he had begun to feel the pain from the fall seeping through his body. He could see the blurry outline of people around him but he could only think about one thing. He had kissed Lily Evans and it had been the most magical moment in his life.

***

Hours later Lily awoke to find the three conscious marauders staring at her. She hoisted herself further up the bed so she could see them properly. Her head turned and she saw, to her dismay, that James was sleeping.

"He woke up about an hour ago, we were going to wake you but he insisted that you needed to sleep."

"Thanks, Remus," Lily felt her voice begin to crack. "I'm sorry you guys, I'm so sorry."

"It's not your fault," Remus reassured her. "It's nobody's fault."

A faint smile appeared on Lily's face.

"Sirius, can I talk to you for a minute?"

"Ok."

Remus and Peter turned to leave.

"We'll come back in about half an hour." Remus said softly as he followed Peter out of the hospital wing.

Lily nodded. Sirius made his way over to her bed and sat down.

"Listening," he said.

"I'm sorry, I can't, I don't know. I didn't mean to say what I said. I didn't mean to, I just needed a reason to, to…"

"I know," said Sirius, "and I think James does, too."

"Really?"

"He's not that stupid, you know."

They both laughed.

"See you later, Lily."

"Bye."

Lily felt tears run down her face; she knew that couldn't go on keeping her feelings bottled up. She knew that she had to risk it, because her life would always be pointless if she didn't. She stepped put of her bed and made her way across, to where James was lying. She took his hand in hers.

"I love you, James."

He opened his eyes and stared up at her with a slight frown on his face.

"About time, too."

She smiled as he gazed up at her. He was so perfect for her. She bent to kiss him again and as his lips met hers she heard a distant sound of people cheering and clapping. She straightened up and turned, to see Sirius, Remus and Peter standing in the doorway, clapping and smiling. She shook her head and bent to kiss him again and this time as she kissed him she felt him kiss back and she knew that whatever happened she would always have this memory.