Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

James' Pain by Secret_soul

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Many waters cannot quench love, neither can the floods drown it.
-- Bible: Song of Soloman


The Spark

"Lily, where on Earth have you been? We were so worried!"

As Lily walked into the Gryffindor common room, she caught sight of her two best friends, Cady Ford and Rose Wilson. They both had nervous expressions, quite the opposite to her dreamy one.

"Hi, you guys."

"What happened?" demanded Cady, "You missed all of this morning's classes. Sirius Black let slip that you were in the hospital wing."

"I was," was the only reply she got, as Lily drifted towards the girls' staircase to collect her stuff and move into the Head's room.

"Wait," Cady grabbed her arm, "Why were you in the hospital wing? Tell us what happened! Are you ok?"

"I’m fine, no need to fuss. I was just visiting, a, um, friend."

Rose looked into Lily's eyes, never before had she seen her friend so secretive. Not being much of an open book herself she decided to leave it, but Cady wasn't having any of it.

"Who?" she insisted, "Lily Evans, if you don't tell us right now I swear I'll…"

"James. I needed to tell him something."

"Lily?" Rose said quietly, "What happened?"

"I told him that, well, I love him."

"No way!" exclaimed Cady, "Way to go Lily, it's about bloody time as well!"

"Well done," Rose whispered in her friend's ear.

Lily climbed up the staircase, Cady right behind her, with Rose bringing up the rear. She wore a proud and happy smile as she collected all of her belongings and, with her friends' help, began to levitate them towards the Heads' room.

***

In the hospital wing, James had woken up properly. He was sitting up, alone, thinking about what Lily had said and done.

She loved him. She really loved him.

It was the moment he had been waiting for his entire life. Even though his whole body was aching and he felt as if his cut was going to explode, he was the happiest he had ever been.

Lily loved him, James Potter. Mrs. Lily Potter- that sounded good.

"Not interrupting anything are we?"

James looked up and his eyes met those of Sirius. He remembered what he had done.

"I'm sorry man, I just…"

"Yeah, I know."

James smiled; he could always count on Sirius to forgive him for being an arse.

"Anyway, I am here to discuss a matter of extreme sensitivity and importance. That is, you snogging Lily Evans after six years of pursuing her and dreaming about her and crying when she turned you down and…"

"I did NOT cry!"

"That is not the point, Prongsie, and you know it! The point is that you seem to be forgetting that Marauders are not really allowed to show their feelings, particularly to people of a female gender. However, as you will probably kill us if we don't, we have decided to scrap this rule. So, congratulations! When's the first child due?"

"Slow down, Padfoot. We aren't even officially going out yet."

"You will be. And I want you to promise me something. When you have your first child, can I be Godfather?"

"Sure you can."

They laughed, it seemed so distant and in the future, but what they didn't realize was that slowly and surely, the future was catching up with them.

***

Peter looked nervously at the stone gargoyle guarding the secret passageway into the meeting room.

"Password?"

"Pure blood."

He slipped inside, as the gargoyle revealed a door.

"Pettigrew."

"Snape."

He looked up at the hard face of Severus Snape, a notorious Slytherin, the Marauders' enemy.

"Well?"

"I'm in."

"Good."

He turned to leave, his heart sinking at what he had just done. Marauders did not take betrayal lightly, especially if it was from one of their own.

***

"Oh my God, Lily!” Cady said, sitting down on Lily's new bed. "Tell us everything! How did it happen? Why did it happen? Did you kiss? Did he say I love you back?"

"Slow down, I can only answer one at once."

Cady considered for a minute, trying to think what the most important question was.

"Did he slip you the tongue?"

"Cady!" Rose exclaimed.

"What? I'd tell you guys if I frenched someone who I fancied for ages."

"Yes, we wish you wouldn't."

Cady reached over and slapped Rose lightly on the leg. Lily sat down between her friends. Her heart felt so warm and fuzzy.

"Yes, he did." she replied, smiling in an embarrassed way.

Cady looked up at her, looked down again and shrieked with laughter. Rose looked at Lily and shrugged. Suddenly there was a knock at the door.

"It's open,” Lily called, wondering who on earth it could be.

"Heya Lils, James is requesting you."

Sirius looked at Rose, who was giggling at Cady, and at Cady herself, who was rolling about on the bed in hysterics. Lily sprung to her feet and ran out to go and find James. Sirius turned to go.

"What is she on?" he asked Rose, nodding his head towards Cady.


"God knows,” said Rose, "I'm going to take a walk, want to come?"

"Sure." said Sirius, smiling at her.

Cady frowned, was that a spark she had just seen between Rose and Sirius? You really could not ask for a more mismatched couple but maybe that was a good thing. She hoisted herself back up to a sitting position and watched them leave, chatting and laughing. Yes, a definite spark.

***

"James?"

"Lily?"

James opened his eyes and looked deep into Lily's emerald green ones, and, for once, she didn't look away. He leant forward to kiss her and was surprised to find that she withdrew.

"Sorry. Strict orders from Madam Pomfrey. It gets your blood pressure too high, apparently."

"Screw my blood pressure."

He grabbed her neck and pulled her in; they kissed for what seemed like an eternity. Lily wished that she never had to stop, but unfortunately, she had to go and tutor some kid in Charms.

"Bye, James."

"Lils?"

"Yeah?"

"I love you."

"I love you, too."