Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

James' Pain by Secret_soul

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Betrayal

"Hi, James." Peter said warily as he approached James' bed.

"Peter? Don't I have another hour until I leave?"

"Yeah, I just thought that'd I'd come and get your stuff to move it to your room. That way you don't have to do any unpacking on your first night out of the hospital wing."

Peter smiled, trying to cover up his guilt.

"Oh ok," replied James, "Thanks mate."

Peter gathered up his things and turned to leave.

"Peter?"

"Yes?"

"Thanks."

There was nothing James could have said to make Peter feel worse. Here was James, sincerely thanking him, when he knew that in a short while he would be doing quite the opposite. A tear gathered in the corner of Peter's eye, he hadn't realised that it would be this hard. He hadn't realised just how much he cared about his friends. He came to a halt, outside the door of the Head's Room and drew James' wand out from the pile. He slipped it up his sleeve; it was almost done.

He looked around to make sure there were no witnesses and entered the room. It was decorated, ceiling to floor, in brightly coloured banners and posters. Enchanted balloons had been bewitched into animal shapes and were walking and flying around. Confetti was generously sprinkled everywhere, glittering and sparkling different colours. A table of food and drinks had been laid out neatly, it was a real spread. Sirius, Remus and Lily stood proudly in the middle of the room.

"So?" Lily asked excitedly.

"So what?"

"So what do you think of the room, silly?"

"Oh yeah, it's great."

"And now for the final touch!" Sirius interrupted.

"Oh God, I didn't know about this, don't blame me." Lily said warily.

"Fireworks!" Sirius exclaimed and drew a box out from under the table.

Peter nodded and went into James' room to put his things away. He took the wand out of his sleeve and shoved it at the back of James' wardrobe. It was half done now. All that was left was the signal. Peter shuddered at the thought of what he had just done. He could barely recognise the actions as his own. But that was what happened when you joined with Lord Voldemort, you did things that you didn't want to do because if you didn't, things would happen. Peter remembered what Snape had told him.

"Blab one word of this to anyone and your parents get it. Fail to complete the Dark Lord's will and your parents will get it. If the plan does not go smoothly your parents will get it."

Peter blamed himself for getting in with that crowd in the first place. He hadn't realised that once he was in, there was no going back.

"Earth to Peter. Hello? Wormtail?"

"Oh, hi Sirius." He squeaked, pushing the wardrobe door closed. "Just putting James' things away."

Sirius frowned at him for a minute and then turned and left. Peter sat there with the choice in his hands; if he completed the task then his friends would never speak to him again. If he failed, his parents would be murdered. He thought back to his first meeting with the 'Hogwarts Death Eaters' as they had named themselves. He had been in the fifth year then, young and impressionable. He had liked the people there because they didn't make fun of him; they understood him or they seemed too.

Peter stood nervously in a crowded room. Students, mainly Slytherins, had assembled waiting for the meeting to begin. He was surprised to see that he was not one of the youngest there. There were first year students who looked like they knew exactly what was going on. It became obvious that they had come from backgrounds where the Dark Arts were common. A boy and girl, seventh year and both Slytherins, stood up to speak.

"Today is a very special meeting," Bellatrix Black, Sirius' older cousin whom he despised, began. "Today we introduce to you our first ever Gryffindor member. He is ready to pledge allegiance to the Dark Lord and promise to obey and honour his will. Would Peter Pettigrew please rise and make his way over here."

Peter had stood up. He felt his ears burn as people around him began to whisper.

"Gryffindor?"

"Isn't he a Marauder?"

"What are they thinking?"

"Silence!" Commanded the boy standing next to Bellatrix, Lucius Malfoy.

Peter had reached the front by this point. He stood next to Bellatrix as she drew out her wand.

"Repeat after me. I Peter Pettigrew swear that I will follow and obey the Dark Lord,"

"I Peter Pettigrew swear that I will follow and obey the Dark Lord,"

"I will do whatever he wishes me to and I will never question him,"

"I will do whatever he wishes me to and I will never question him,"

"And I will place him before my friends, family and myself."

"And I will place him before my friends, family and myself."

Peter felt his stomach churn as he realised what he had just done. He watched as Lucius Malfoy drew a long knife from inside his robes.

"Take your shirt off boy."

Peter did as he was instructed. Lucius Malfoy slid the blade across his chest, causing blood to stream from him and him to gasp. Each member walked forward and stroked their finger across the wound, leaving blood on their hand. Bellatrix whispered an incantation and the blood flew off their hands and into a small vial she held.

"The swearing of the blood is complete."

She reached out her wand, tapped the cut and it was gone.

After the meeting he was congratulated by the other members and offered butterbeer and firewhiskey. If felt almost as if they were his friends. He was respected because he had taken the oath and made a promise to Voldemort. He liked feeling respected; he liked not being made fun of as the Marauders were always doing.

Later that night he returned to his dormitory. He pulled back his duvet and lay down on his bed, almost immediately he sprung up again. He looked over his shoulder, into the mirror. Stamped on his back in permanent ink were the words 'Who ate all the pies?' He heard a laughing coming from Sirius' bed. Drawing back the curtains he saw the other Marauders, laughing, at his expense. He watched the rolling around and pointing at the words and he was glad. Glad he had decided to join the Dark Lord, glad he had put Voldemort before his friends and glad that one day there would be payback.

Peter could hear people arriving for the party. He knew that in a minute James would arrive. Without hesitating he walked to the window and stuck his wand out. He whispered the spell he had been told too and walked back into the party, knowing that it was done.