Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Ever Secret Diary of Sirius Black by Amalynne

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Disclaimer: Do I even need to do this? If my story’s on fanfiction obviously it’s not original material. Really, seesh, but as to remain law abiding sigh I admit that nothing is mine and Rowling owns all, now are you happy? Dandy.

N/A: I hate school! I hate it! Don’t make me go back! PLEASE! Oh God, save me, save me! Sorry for that little outburst, I just thought I’d make a point. Ya okay, enjoy...

Remus couldn’t return to his reading as soon as he wished. Other duties lay before him and the usuals needed to be addressed, eating and bathing were just a few. Finally in the late afternoon he was able to continue, locking himself up in the loft once more. Molly Weasley had commented that it was unhealthy behavior, locking oneself up with a hippogriff, but Remus honestly didn’t care, Sirius’ diary was too intriguing to ignore.

The page labeled September 5th lay open, waiting for him. Visiting the past was now like breathing, he eagerly let it submerge him, ready to relive the magic of that night so many years ago when he tricked McGavott in love with him...

“It’s 9:40 now.” Whispered James, “We should have plenty of time.”

The Marauders were huddled together behind a suit of armor, chatting in secrecy. Remus assumed this was the fourth floor, as it seemed quite deserted and less familiar so than the lower levels. Staircases spiraled here and there, some seemed limitless and others pointless, placed randomly or too ridiculously high to climb. A single torch lit the floor, causing a dim haunting aura. Specimens in their frames stirred and others grumbled. One was particularly vocal, asking James if he’d ever heard of a comb, and was blatantly flippant with Peter about his weight.

Despite the unease of the fourth floor, James and Sirius were fearless, feeling as if the masters of the school. They had trod many a night about the grounds, and discovered every nook, niche and secret imaginable. Along with these findings, they had also acquired a kingly boldness, followed by a strut and arrogant manner. Snape as very right on one occasion to say that James walked about the school like he owned the place, the Marauders certainly felt they did.

“Do you think she’ll know where it is? I mean...”

“No worries Moony. Everyone knows ‘bout the Mute Maid, why she’s a relic, famous! My dad still talks about her, claims she winked at him once. O’course that’s a load of rubbish.” Babbled James.

“Well what about Filch, what are we doing for him?” asked Moony.

“Oh he shouldn’t be a problem.” Smiled Sirius. “I sent him a box of those amazing Watermelon Wipeouts, put on the card that it was from his mum. He should be in a heavy snooze for another... oh five hours I’d say. From the looks of the wrappers in the rubbish bin, he cleared a whole box!”

“Watermelon Wipeouts the tangy cream that helps you dream.” Moony recited the familiar jingle, “Ya, I’ve heard of those. Of course once he wakes up they’ll be the 235th item in the Restricted Articles List. Enjoy them while you can I say.”

“Sounds like everything’s in order, all we need is McGavott to follow her mischievous instincts and you’ll have yourself a girl Remus.” Grinned James.

“I just hope she’s on time.” Worried Moony, “Where’s McGavott now?”

“Well let’s see then, shall we?” suggested Padfoot, retrieving a roll of parchment from his robes. He lay it flat on his palms and tapped its edge with his wand. “I solemnly swear I am up to no good.” He uttered.

Lines etched across the parchment, revealing the Marauders’ personal blueprints to the school.

“Voila! There she is.” James pointed to a little black dot wandering about the third floor. McGavott was accompanied by another dot, labeled Lily Evans. James flushed pink and bit his lip. “It’s a pity she’s too sensible.” He thought aloud. “I’d love to have a bit of fun with her.”

“Pity.” Sighed Sirius heartlessly.

“Naughty naughty Potty, spying on the ladies!” cackled a voice from behind.

“Peeves!” growled Moony, turning to see the little ghoulish man, hovering above. He cradled a giant pink water balloon in his hands, which he was aiming dangerously at Moony.

“If you think you’re going to do something with that Peeves, I’d reconsider.” Warned Moony boldly, desperate not to let anything foil his plans for McGavott. He pointed his wand daringly at the ghoul. Peeves inched back a foot or two.

“Lupin going to do old Peevy in?” he taunted. “Loopy. Loopy Loony! Loopy Loony Lupin! Loopy—”

“Shut up Peeves!” bellowed Sirius.

Peeves blinked and swung his water balloon as he sang, “Nickety nack, ooh it’s Black, try to keep the ladies back!

“I said shut up!”

Peeves’ eyes bulged, “Ssh! Don’t want to wake her, might disturb her, likes it quiet she does, the Mute Maid.”

James stepped in. “Scram Peeves!” he ordered.

Teeter totter, look it’s Potter, Evans thinks he’s worse than fodder!

James balled his fists, but let them go, snatching the Marauders Map from Sirius. He scanned it quickly as Peeves jeered on. He looked up, grinning confidently. “How touching that you’ve tributed your sonnets to us, but I’m afraid the Baron’s on his way.” James pointed to a drifting black dot in the map. Peeves wilted with displeasure, popping the balloon in his hands.

“Hmph! Potty!” he glared, floating away down the corridor.

“A shame, I would’ve liked to hear the one he made for Peter.” Sirius whispered in James’ ear. His face alit, imitating the poltergeist, “Looky loo Perrigrew, think he’s gained a pound or two?” The boys snickered, ignoring Moony’s impatient eye.

“C’mon then, back to business, back to business.” he urged. James and Sirius separated from their mockery.

“Keep your knickers up Moony lad!” said James, whipping out a strip of parchment from his back pocket. “Ahh, here we are! Spent a good afternoon working on this. I would’ve fancied a bit more help, but Padfoot was at watch and Moony was tied up, I know.” James glanced at Peter grudgingly. “You could at least’ve done something Wormtail!” he sneered. James hadn’t wanted Wormtail’s help in the first place, it just felt good to lash out at the mousy tagalong.

“Anyway, it’s been modified up to standard.” James rolled up the parchment and rapped it against his palm. “If Moony’s chosen well, McGavott should know what she’s getting herself into. Quite unlike Padfoot’s Aimee Dingue, who couldn’t tell her right from her left, let alone read. I think we really stuck her with the word chastity, that’s where the mix up was.” James smirked at Sirius, giving him a kidding punch.

“That was just one time Prongs.” Shot Sirius defensively, “I’ve chosen better since. And if you recall, we left the job up to that Sir Codagan, bloody annoying chap!”

“That shouldn’t happen this time. I’ve left the job to the Mute Maid. And speaking of which...” James rumpled his hair and tightened his tie. “We best discuss our plot with her.”

He tucked his invisibility cloak under one arm and led the others down the corridor, to a small frame with a painting of a beautiful, sleeping young woman.

Sirius gave James a dubious look, “This... is our colleague?”

James wagged a finger at his friend. “Oh you doubt too soon Padfoot. Just watch... Psst, my lady! Psst!” he whispered harshly. The Maid’s eyes flickered sleepily open. She gave a petit feminine yawn, and let her lustrous blue eyes fall on James. Her long dark lashes fluttered disbelievingly when she saw him.

“Sorry to wake you at his hour m’dear, but we have a bit of a job for you.”

She flipped her chestnut locks behind her indignantly and glared at James, very irritable at having been awakened.

“Just a little task.” He pleaded.

The Maid frowned and rolled her eyes.

“James you said this would work!” interjected Moony. “Is she always this stubborn?”

“Allow me.” Offered Sirius, stepping forward. The Maid’s eye’s flashed when she saw him, and her cheeks rouged a tinge. She bat her lashes fancifully.

“Perhaps you’d like to aid a close friend of mine, my lady. He is in desperate need of a female counterpart and will simply die without her (Moony opened his mouth to argue, but thought better of it). Might I tempt you with a bit of mischief?”

The Maid cocked her head to the side, considering the offer.

“Please.” Begged Sirius, irresistibly so. The Maid was caught in his snare. She nodded, flushing wildly.

“Excellent!” exclaimed James, bobbing back into the Maid’s view. She frowned distastefully at the sight of him. “Just take this lovely sheet and hand it to a frizzy haired damsel—”

“Frizzy!” cried Moony, “Those are curls James.”

“Curls, frizz, it’s all the same to me.” He said quickly. “Anyway, if you’d just hand this to her, we’d be much obliged.” James dangled the parchment before the Maid, she snatched it reluctantly from him.

“You know what to do after that.”

She nodded and fidgeted testily in her frame.

“Won’t bother you any longer.” Bowed James. “Right then. Moony, the time?”

“Five till.”

“Chipper, under the cloak.” He flung the cloak over himself and Moony, disappearing from sight. In an instant, Peter had transformed into a rat and joined his fellow Marauders. Sirius winked at the Maid before he too vanished, although he could have sworn he saw her blow him a kiss.

The Marauders didn’t have long to wait before they saw the luminous bobbling light of a wand, followed by an anxious looking McGavott. She appeared ready for bed, donned in nightdress and slippers, with her hair was tied loosely back in a half ponytail.

Beneath the cloak, Moony spied her lustfully, noting every delicate curl of her hair and the softness of her eyes. He gulped and Sirius nudged him teasingly. He supposed this was how James must have felt when he saw Lily.

McGavott took her steps cautiously, quite aware of the risks (Filch or Mrs. Norris for example), and stopped every so often to listen for approaching footsteps. Sirius mumbled something to Moony about the scantiness of Mackenzie’s nightdress, causing her to stop dead in her tracks, hearkened to the murmur. Assuming it was just the garbling of a painting, she continued down the corridor. Someone to her right coughed.

Hem hem.”

She jumped, but regained her composure, realizing it was only a portrait. “Yes?” she crooned.

“Looking for something?” asked a plump, balding friar.

“I, well... no.” she fumbled.

The friar gave an exasperated sigh, examining his fingernails in nonchalance. “I really probably shouldn’t tell you this, but... she’s down there.” The friar pointed a further ways down the hall, hinting at the Mute Maid.

McGavott smiled brightly, “Oh thank you, I’d certainly of had a time looking for her.”

“All right, all right.” Blushed the friar. “Go on, before I feel guilty. Students walking about the castle at this hour, why never in my day!”

Sirius took a peak up Mackenzie’s gown as she passed, Moony kicked him, and for a moment the Marauders nearly risked being seen. Peter was flung from James’ grasp, landing less than a meter away from Mackenzie. He made furious efforts to return to the invisibility cloak, finding it rather hard to do in the dark. He began to notice the more immediate danger, McGavott’s approaching steps. He squeaked wildly and dodged Mackenzie’s slippers by a scratch. She hadn’t noticed, finally coming to the portrait of the Mute Maid. Peter yelped as a hand snatched him up from the floor. “Come ‘ere you.” James hissed.

“Oh um, good evening.” curtsied Mackenzie to the Mute Maid. “I was given a letter that said... oh why, why thank you.” The Maid handed her a slip of parchment.

The same elegant script as in the previous letter appeared on the page, clearly written by Moony...

The Purveyors of Aids to Magical Mischief Makers commend you Miss McGavott for coming thus far. We guarantee that an excursion of great entertainment awaits you and we solemnly swear to you full protection and assurance. Fear not dear lass, we are professionals. We do however add, that as true allies are few and far between, we request that you sign our little waver. You won’t be selling us your soul, only your honest affirmation that you will keep the secret of our little band quiet. Signing this does obligate you to answer, obey and otherwise do anything we the Messrs request of you (within your means, we assure you).

WARNING: If Miss McGavott thinks she is so clever as to foil the Marauders, she is under very wrong assumptions. The Marauders are quite unmerciful with even the sweetest and most attractive of deceivers. If Miss McGavott wishes to keep her good looks, she will sign this ruddy form and snog with Master Moony as long as he desires. All in good fun of course.

Salutations,

Messrs. Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot and Prongs.

Please sign on the line below...

X-------------------------------------


“They sound rather forceful.” Observed McGavott. The Maid nodded her head knowingly.

“Well, should I sign it?”

The Maid tilted her head to the side, keeping an amused spec of a smile on her face. Not receiving an answer, Mackenzie asked something else. “Are they boys?”

The Maid nodded eagerly.

“Are... are they nice?”

The Maid bit her lip and shrugged indecisively.

“Well then are they... dangerous?”

Pondering a moment, the Maid shook her head.

“Will I like them?”

The Maid smiled broadly, it was an obvious yes.

“Can you believe it, Moony wants to...” McGavott hushed her voice, blushing. “Snog with me.”

The Maid’s hands flew over her mouth, her eyes glistened with the thought, scandalous!

“I know.” Giggled McGavott, turning a deeper red. “Do you know him, Moony?”

The Maid nodded.

“Do I know him, is he in my year?”

Yes, mouthed the Maid.

“He’s not a pratt, or a real dingy is he?”

The Maid tossed her head back in silent laughter.
“No? All right well... how’s his looks, not to be superficial or anything I just—”

The maid gave her the okay symbol and winked.

“Oh he’s not bad then, that’s a relief. So if he’s handsome, my age and judging by his eloquence, intelligent, then why shouldn’t I sign? Not to mention, he fancies me.”

The Maid gave her a reprimanding look.

“Oh I know.” Sighed McGavott, “Lily thought the same thing. But well, I suppose you only live once... not the most sensible attitude but... Oh I don’t bloody care!” McGavott signed in her best cursive on the line. “I could be selling my soul.” She lamented.

The letter altered itself into what looked like a copy of Marauders Map, though less detailed. A mini golden caricature of Mackenzie was placed in the middle of the fourth floor and a blue arrow labeled Moony directed her towards the nearest spiral of stairs. With one last wave farewell to the Mute Maid, Mackenzie let the arrow lead her.

Moony uttered an incantation, causing a sort of chameleon effect, that let him blend into his surroundings. James gave him the thumbs up and he sighed releasing some of his nerves. “All right see you lads later.” He choked and led Mackenzie away.

James and Sirius were left to stand guard, equipped with the invisibility cloak and the Marauders Map, playing jacks by wand light in front of the portrait of the friar. Things seemed to be going smoothly, until Sirius noticed an approaching specimen on the map.

“Holy crap!” he gasped, “It’s Evans, James get up it’s Evans, she’s on her way up now. Under the cloak, under the cloak!”

“Well where the bloody hell is it?” he panicked, tripping on the set of jacks. James looked up, Sirius had vanished .

“Where are you?” he hissed, groping the air.

“Here right here, oh... shit.” Sirius was silenced and James soon understood why.

“Potter?” Lily stood at the stairwell, the most peculiar expressing donning her face. It was too late, there was no escape, James would just have to play his cool.

“Evening Evans.” Said James in his deepest, adult voice. Lily grimaced at his lounge lizard vernacular (N/A: Sorry if you need a dictionary for that one, I fancy uncommonly used words. My brother thinks I’m a loony, I don’t blame him really).

“What, what are you doing up here?”

“The same as you I expect.” He smirked, taking her in with his eyes. He found it cute, her checkered pajama set and her topknot.

“What do you mean the same as me?” sneered Lily.

“Oh don’t play stupid, we both know you’re here for McGavott.”

“She didn’t come up here did she? After she promised... after she... oh!” stamped Lily.

James yawned. “She was under obligation you know.”

“You don’t mean to say... you were behind that letter weren’t you? Oh I could kill you Potter, what a wretched trap!”

James blinked, and drawled in a very bored tone (as if this were merely a natural circumstance, which by all means it wasn’t), “Who’s to say its trap? How else do you think we’d get McGavott to go out with Remus?”

Lily nearly pounced at him in rage.

“What? Is there a problem with that?” he asked, warding her off.

“Obviously!” she snarled. “Mackenzie can think for herself, she doesn’t need you pushing her towards Remus!”

“Think for herself can she? Then why are you here?” James stepped before her, just as she made a move to pass him.

“Moral support!” she barked. “Now move before I... I... give you detention!”

“Harsh!” laughed James, “Like I haven’t had one of those before.” He blocked her from trespassing with the broad span of his arms. Lily tried to push him away.

“Will you ever dry up?” Lily moaned. “Move! Move... please!”

“Don’t worry Evans, McGavott’s not in mortal peril, she’ll be just fine, and as for you, I suggest you take your pretty little prefect rump back to the dormitories.”

“Oh that’s what you’d like wouldn’t you? Have me skip off so you can go pelt Filch’s office with dungbombs!”

“Actually, I’d prefer you here, I could do with a good snogging.”

“Oh you arrogant pratt! You... you... I pity your poor mother!” she cried in exasperation.

“What?” Now for James, that was offensive. “Hold up there miss priss, say that again!”

“I’d rather not, now... one last time Potter, MOVE!”

“What’s the magic word?” he chimed.

Please.” She uttered saucily.

“Come now, you know it.” James grinned, taking a real joy at annoying her.

Lily chewed on her tongue, furious. “I don’t want to play games!”

“I’ll help you then. It’s four words actually.”

“I don’t want to play charades either!”

“Well if you insist! Say I love you James, and you’re free to pass.”

“I’m not saying that!”

“C’mon, just say it, I dare you.” He taunted. (N/A: I’m oddly reminded of the Switchfoot song “I dare you to Move”, appropriate isn’t it?)

Lily placed her hands on her hips, unwavering. Seeing no success with this tactic, James tried again. “Poor McGavott,” he said in mock pity, “I wonder what awful things Remus is having her do?”

Lily’s face whitened with horror. “Get out of the way James!”

“Bravo! That’s a first isn’t it? Why I’m all a flutter, you calling me James, like we’re so close!”

Lily continued to glare. Her bottom lip began to protrude, pouting. “Oh move, move, move you big... mean, conceited, good for nothing... dolt!” She pushed against him, shaking her head wildly, causing her hair to come undone.

James clucked his tongue, “Oh dear, I just might have to wash your mouth out.”

“Oh stop it, just stop it James!” sobbed Lily, her eyes tearing in frustration. “Where’s Mackenzie? Please tell me!”

“It’s nothing to cry about!” he soothed, lightening his tone, he felt rather bad now. “I told you, McGavott’s just fine. Remus would never force her into anything, he’s too soft for that.” He marked wryly.

Lily pointed a shaking finger to his nose. “You had better be right, or I’ll never forgive you!”

James’ eyes crossed, fixed on his nose, which he realized was now free of intrusion. He blinked, and swore inwardly for looking so stupid in front of Lily.

“Sure, ya all right.” He shrugged a little too casually. Lily frowned. James corrected himself. “Of course.” He gulped “But if you don’t mind Lils, uh I mean Evans, could you keep this mum?”

Mum? Really Potter, do you think I’d be stupid enough to let anyone know I’ve been wandering the corridors after hours?”

“I didn’t expect so.” He mumbled, feeling even stupider than before. Caught in a moment of awkwardness, James shifted his feet uncomfortably, and mussed up his hair. Lily narrowed her eyes. James remembered what she thought of this habit and quickly crossed his arms.

“Leaving yet?” he asked, regaining his cocky self.

“Right now in fact.” huffed Lily, turning on her heels. She gave James one last disapproving look. He sucked in a wavering breath as his eyes met hers.

“G’night love!” he called after her.

Lily stopped abruptly, clenching her fists. She muttered some inaudible ravings and kicked the nearest suit of armor. She yelped at the pain in her burning toes and hobbled away, grumbling as she went.

“Heavens, what a temper!” remarked a painting.

A hand settled firmly on James’ shoulder, it was Sirius.

“All right mate?” he asked.

James nodded, looking after Evans. “Ya.” He said quietly, “Ya, I’m all right.”

Sirius’ messy scrawl returned...

McGavott returned with Moony safe and sound about a quarter to three and I must say, our plot was a success. From the sound of things, McGavott just about professed her love to Moony. He’s elated of course, and I’m dog tired (no pun intended). I never really asked what happened between them, but I suppose I’ll find out in the morning. I believe I have a bit of clarification to do. I may not remember years from now what the heck a “Message from the Messrs” is, so I will elaborate for my future forgetful self:

Now you see, a “Message from the Messrs” is this, a means of wooing a damsel by way of intrigue. In other words, build that romantic suspense, so by the time she finds out who you are, she’s deathly desperate for you. It’s been a Marauder tradition to go about this with a letter of invitation, and lead the girl on this wild heart tugging goose chase, lavished with letters of love n’ kindness.

It’s all gagging mush to be honest, but females eat it up. Besides, they think it’s oh so “romantic”, and apparently that’s what makes a man a “catch”. On most of these wooing excursions we end the night at the Three Broomsticks. It’s a charming place to ask a girl out properly and Rosmerta’s a doll about it all, extra drinks free of charge and sometimes a touch of firewhiskey.

Our great plot isn’t all that brilliant actually, it’s more an excuse to leave the grounds and snag a lass while you’re at it. We’ve done plenty of research I’ll tell you, on what works and what doesn’t. We’ve had the most luck with this method, so it’s the one that’s stuck. It’s a little morally twisted I’ve deduced, but then again, I haven’t heard anyone complain yet.

On to other things, like Evans. She gave us a right good start earlier this evening, intruding like that! I hope she keeps her pretty little mouth shut about us. James told her too much, he has such a big mouth sometimes.

Peter’s in a tizzy, still caught up in his “near death” experience with McGavott. He keeps talking in his sleep, preventing me from my beauty rest. Just now he garbled something like this, “No mum, I’m not a rat! I’ll eat the cheese if you don’t squash me!”, it’s all stuff that doesn’t make sense. I think James’ up too. He can never seem to sleep after an encounter with Evans.

I wish I could smother Wormtail with the pillows, I’d just about kill for some shuteye!


N/A: So what’d you guys think of that chapter? Less Remus, more Sirius? More dialogue or less? Better description? Shorter chapters, longer chapters? Lots more to come but I need to hear your suggestions. I’m desperate for detailed reviews, so write up!