Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Ever Secret Diary of Sirius Black by Amalynne

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Disclaimer: Once upon a time there was a girl who wished she was Rowling, but wasn't the end. That's the best disclaimer I think I've ever written by golly.

BE WARNED: LONG LONG CHAPTER (that I find rather pointless actually), hope you have a lot of time to waste. I was on the world's biggest writing spree this afternoon. Sorry about the delay too.



Saturday, September 6th:

Sirius lay atop his covers clad in just boxers, staring aimlessly at the ceiling. He had not gained one ounce of sleep that night and now he was at a point of insanity. His hair was so disheveled it could be compared to James' and his eyes were puffy and bloodshot. He was in such a fury by the time Moony's alarm clock sounded that he cursed everyone from the man in the moon to his mother, shocking his fellow companions.

"Glad to see you in such jovial spirits Padfoot," said James. "Slept well?"

"Oh shut up, you know perfectly well I didn't!"

Moony stretched heartily, yawning, "That was the best night's sleep I've ever had!"

Sirius kicked at his covers, glaring across the room, "Glad to here it!" he snapped.

James rolled his eyes, "Lighten up will you? Moony's just had the time of his life, give him a moment before you push your rain cloud on us!"

Sirius said no more, attacking his hair irritably with a comb.

"C'mon now Remus, tell us all the glorious little details. How was McGavott?" James inquired eagerly.

Moony smiled with those dazed faraway eyes as he recalled his night with Mackenzie.

"Maybe when he comes back to earth he'll tell you James," said Sirius.

"You know that tunnel, the one that ends up outside of Godric Hallow?" asked Moony quite randomly.

James blinked, "Ya, what about it?"

Moony's face contorted into a slightly twisted smile. "It caved in."

"What?!" cried James and Sirius in unison. Peter made a stifled gasping sound and fell from his bed.

"Ya, just as we were getting back. It's a shame really, but if it hadn't happened I'd of had no success with Mackenzie?"

"What do you... what? Speak English Moony, what are you talking about?" questioned James with his signature nose wrinkle.

Moony sighed and fiddled thumbs, "Well even with the whole 'shpeal' she was still pretty resistant. She agreed to go out with me, but it was more for politeness I think. Anyway, I decided to take her back through the tunnel, because it's a lot faster you know. Three fourths of the way in rock started falling. I thought we were dead at first, but I did a quick bit of wand action that saved us. That's when 'Kenzie sprung at me."

Moony read James' look of confusion. "In more of a relieved, loving way actually. She insisted I'd saved her life and that she'd love me forever and well... you can imagine what happened after that," explained Moony, reddening with embarrassment.

"I can imagine," said James, "But I'd much rather hear what happened. It didn't involve the deed did it?"

Moony stared at him blankly for a moment. "That's not exactly information I'd like to solicit, but no, I wasn't that lucky."

"Then you and McGavott are an item now?" piped Wormtail. James and Sirius rolled their eyes.

"Well I'd hope so," laughed Moony lightly. "She told me to meet her before breakfast and I'll be tutoring her again. Yes we're an item I suppose."

Sirius pulled the last tangle out of his hair and beamed victoriously at himself in the mirror. "That's a record don't you think Prongs, winning a girl in two days?" he was finally coming out of his gloom.

"Oh I don't know, Dillwiddle was pretty quick. The question is, how long will it last?"

"I had Hestia Jones for three weeks, I think that's a personal best!" boasted Sirius (as if this was really a great accomplishment).

"That's only because she was on holiday two out of those three weeks," Moony reminded him.

"Well I was with her in spirit, thinking of her all the time," said Sirius haughtily.

Moony smirked at the lame excuse, "Yes and that explains why you snogged with Jennings that week."

Sirius opened his mouth ready to retort, but stopped short. "I... hmm... Good work Remus, you seem to have trapped me on this one. I guess I had a good reason at the time."

James was busy scrunching the sleeves of his shirt (this was another one of his quirks. He liked to appear as if he'd been on the quidditch pitch all day with a heavy breeze. It all amounted to his rugged look. Image was everything for James Potter). "Never had much luck keeping girls have we?" he noted, glancing at Sirius.

"Oh going steady's no fun anyway!" laughed Sirius with a wave of his hand.

"Too true, too true!" concurred James.

Moony frowned at them as he pulled on his robes. "You two are being real idiots," he scolded, "No wonder Evans won't go out with you Prongs!" James looked taken aback. Before anymore could be said, Moony pocketed his wand and excited the dormitory, claiming he was going to meet McGavott.

Sirius and James exchanged bewildered looks.

"Why does he keep doing that?" Sirius asked in frustration.

James shrugged, "I don't know, but it sure makes me feel stupid."

"Ashamed is more like it," corrected Sirius.

Breakfast in the Great Hall was less busy this morning. Weekends tended to be days to sleep in and take the lazy approach. James and Sirius were the only two at the Gryffindor table, save for a group of chattering third year girls and a collection of seventh years.

"I thought we were simply doing Remus a charity, I had no idea I'd be putting myself through torture!" grumbled Sirius as he downed a strip of bacon. He glowered at Moony who was a bench down, sitting next to McGavott. They had their heads together and were exchanging lovable prattle, a clear and adoring couple.

A girl behind them giggled to her friend, "Oh they're so cute!". Sirius' expression turned sour as he imitated her, "Oh they're so cute!" in a mocking voice much higher than his own. "Great, now look what we'll have to endure, well wishers for the happy couple!"

A swarm of girls gathered around Moony and McGavott, announcing how "adorable" the arrangement was. McGavott looked pleased with herself, Moony on the other hand looked exceedingly intimidated by the attention, and took to shooting James and Sirius panicked glances.

Sirius waved, smiling weakly, "Oh I hope you're having a good time mate, it's the price for a girl," he muttered.

The girls dispersed, leaving Moony and McGavott to their breakfast. James noted Lily was not amongst them. In fact, he hadn't seen her at all this morning. He voiced his concerns to Sirius.

"You don't think she's mad at McGavott do you, or... me?"

"Well she's always mad at you mate, it's never stopped her from coming to breakfast before."

"Oh... yeah," said James, eyeing Moony once more. His eyebrows narrowed and he grimaced, looking away. "I'm starting to feel what you mean. This is torture! I'm going to get my broom, coming Padfoot?"

Sirius shoved his plate forward and nodded, "Yeah, all right."

"But you two've barely eaten, wait for me will you!" whined Peter, cramming his mouth with sausage. "You should really eat more!" he urged.

James didn't bother to pacify Wormtail. "We'll live," he said, sliding from the bench.

"I'd wait a moment sonny lad before you jump to fun."

James' eyes flashed upward, meeting those of Filch, the caretaker. Sirius mouthed a swear word, knowing what was coming.

"If I remember correctly, you lads have some detentions to make up," growled Filch with a sadistic grin.

"Detentions? To make up? That's crazy, I could've sworn we served them all!" cried James, knowing quite well they hadn't.

"Last year OWLs were your excuse, try coming up with something better this time Potter, I'll be merciless this year!"

"Glad to hear you're finally buckling down," said Sirius tartly.

"I've got a special job I've been saving for the lot of you," said Filch, ringing his hands with relish. "The dungeon bathrooms have needed a cleaning for quite some time. Haven't gone down there myself, the smell's much too rank for my liking, but I'm sure you brawny lads can handle it."

"You're too kind," glared James, not bothering to hide his dislike.

"So, if you'll just follow me, I'll get you all fixed up!" Filch beckoned them with one finger. With great reluctance, Pettigrew, Padfoot and Prongs slid from their seats and followed Filch out of the hall.

"Oh and before I forget," said Filch, holding up the line. "I've been given the permission to write to each of your mummies if you give me any funny business. Got it!" he barked, coming within an inch of Peter's nose.

He flung open the nearest closet door and retrieved numerous cleaning articles. "That means no dungbombs, no disappearing, no nothing, just good clean fun!" he shoved a mop into Peter's hand. A bucket and sponge was thrown at Sirius, and James was thrust a toothbrush.

Filch smiled deviously, "That's to get between the cracks," he informed James.

The horror of it all was beginning to settle in for clever Potter and his band, they would spend their weekend scrubbing the floors of the boys bathroom, engulfed in the putrid scent of urine and what else, only God knows. James had to pull through, he had to save himself and his companions. His only means of sanctuary passed before him.

"McGonagall!" he cried, "Oy! McGonagall, a word, a word please!" The tight-laced professor stopped abruptly.

"Can I help you Potter?" she called.

"Um yes, yes! You want us to win the House Cup don't you professor?"

"Yes," she answered slowly, unaware of where this conversation was going.

"Well uh... wouldn't you rather we practice today, you know, to catch up!"

"By all means practice, or do you have other plans?" she asked darkly.

"They're with me today professor!" cried Filch urgently, eager not to let his captives slip away.

"Are they Argus? Why?"

"Detentions professor, loads to make up!"

McGonagall pursed her lips, "Hmm well..."

"The House Cup, professor!" cried James.

McGonagal considered deeply, "Yes Potter, yes... but I... hmm."

Filch looked ready to burst into tears, "They deserve it Minerva! I'll take it to the headmaster I will!"

"Oh calm yourself Argus, it's only Potter."

"Only Potter, only Potter?!" shrieked Filch, "The trouble, the mischief, oh Minerva I've been waiting all summer to get my hands on these two, Potter and Black!"

McGonagall laughed airily, "I understand you quite verily Argus, but I beg you please leave my students in proper quidditch condition when you've finished with them." She gave James an apologetic smile and strode away.

Sirius looked to James in defeat, "Bad luck, Prongs." That was beginning to become a usual phrase.

The dungeon lavatory was worse than any of the Marauders could have imagined. Toilets overflowed with the most rancid of contents and the floor was covered with rat droppings and all kinds of foul articles. The odor was so bad even the bubble headed charm couldn't repel the stench. To make things worse, Filch had locked them inside until the job was done.

"This is gross!" gagged Sirius, kicking aside a rat skeleton.

Filch's voice cackled from outside. "Get used to it sonny, this is how I spend my Saturday nights!"

"Evil man, just evil!" cursed Sirius.

"Remus should be down here with us!" wheezed James, caught in the whiff of an especially gnarly cubicle. "Bloody unfair that we should have to suffer this and not him. That's how it always is though isn't it?"

"And to think, we helped him with McGavott," Sirius shook his head.

The day crept slowly by in the lavatory. It was impossible to tell the time, as there were no windows and an eternity seemed to pass until their release. Sirius guessed they had been captive a fortnight, but came to find only eight hours had passed. Finally, Filch let them free for supper, after much persuasion from McGonagall.

Instead of heading straight to the Great Hall, James and Sirius made a quick beeline for the showers. (N/A: and no, sorry ladies, I'm not describing Sirius or James in their birthday suits, that'd just be too groady!). Peter chose to dine and dash, not caring about the pungent fumes he reeked about.

Not long after, Sirius entered the common room freshly bathed and squeaky clean, meeting Moony by the fireside.

"Where've you been mate?" Moony jumped from his seat urgently.

"The dungeon lavatory," sighed Sirius, "And the showers." He brushed his wet black hair out of his eyes, "Where we were you?"

"I was with Mackenzie of course, one moment you all were there and next... wait, the dungeon lavatory? What on earth were you doing down there? James too?"

Sirius flopped down in an arm chair, "James too, and Peter. We had 'make up' detentions. Lovely don't you think, wish you could have joined us."

Moony's jaw dropped, "Make up detentions! Why that's, that's..."

"Despicable," gulped Sirius. The sting of the whole experience had not washed away for him and he stared, dazed into space, wounded from the horrific torture.

"That's awful mate, I'm sorry you had to suffer it alone. I mean, I don't suppose I'd fancy that kind of work, but I should have been down there with you."

Sirius shot Moony a glance. "Hell yeah, you should have," he thought.

"I'm going to make that man pay, I swear I'm going to make Filch pay! All the dungbombs in the world aren't good enough punishment for what he made me go through today. First thing tomorrow morning Remus, I'm going to plan!" Sirius was taken by a fiery zeal as he pounded his fist on the armrest.

Moony stepped back, "Here mate, you take it easy. Have some sleep and in the morning all these nasty feelings will smooth over."

"Oh I don't think so Remus, I really don't think so," scowled Sirius, gripping the life out the armrests.

James emerged in his bathrobe, cursing Filch with every word he knew. Moony obviously felt very guilty (this soothed James somewhat), and graciously offered to snag James and Sirius some food from the kitchen.

"Would you, I don't think I can even remember what food tastes like anymore," whined James, flopping down in the chair next to Sirius.

"I'll be needing your..." Moony coughed, but it sounded much like the word cloak.

James massaged his temples, "Sure, under my bed."

Moony nodded and hurried upstairs.

James looked to the floor and noticed a stack of papers. "Remus left his notes," he said, scooping them up. "Mind quizzing me, maybe it'll take your mind off things." James handed the stack to Sirius. Mind you, there was only one person in the world Sirius would do this for, and that was James.

"Can't believe it, studying," he shook his head despairingly.

"Humor me will you, I don't want to look like a idiot in front of Evans," whispered James, tossing a look over his shoulder.

Lily sat at a table far towards the end of the common room, leaning her head against the windowpanes. She would scribble and write, scribble and write, tossing aside a wad of paper here and there. Though she was distant and not paying an ounce of attention to James at all, he felt himself under constant surveillance in her midst.

The minutes ticked by. The boys soon took to silent study periods, finding their oral practices quite dull. Extreme boredom would have settled in if McGavott hadn't appeared.

"Looking for Remus?" asked Sirius, somewhat coldly (he still had not relented about Moony missing their detention).

Mackenzie twirled her brunette locks rapidly, "No, actually I was looking for..." Her eyes caught sight of the red head by the window. "Lily! Lily, Elise said you wanted to talk to me!" McGavott sped over to Evan's side. Lily looked wearied and stern, not greeting her friend with the same air.

"Ssh Mackenzie, don't tell the world. Yes, I wanted to talk to you." Lily pushed forward a chair and bid her friend sit down. Lily continued the conversation in a subtle murmur. James and Sirius hearkened.

"I haven't seen you all day."

"Well... I was busy," shrugged Mackenzie awkwardly.

"Oh yes of course, you were busy," snapped Lily.

"Well I was!" insisted McGavott.

"With all the lying you've been doing lately, I don't know what to believe," said Lily, crossing her arms.

"Lying? Me? Lils, what's gotten into you?"

"Are you oblivious to everything Mackenzie? Do you even remember what you promised me yesterday, about Potter and that letter!"

McGavott's eyes widened. "Oh! Oh... yes well I— it wasn't a lie, not an intentional one anyway!"

Lily threw her arms up, "And what's worse, is I come to find you've paired up with Remus Lupin! Of all people Mackenzie, really!"

Mackenzie tugged at her skirt nervously, "It's not that big a deal Lily," she said quietly.

Lily leaned in and whispered harsher, "Not that big a deal? Do you know what a horror it was to find you bed empty last night? I thought you were ill, or... I didn't know what, I was worried sick! Then I discovered you'd gone to answer that stupid letter, and I met Potter on the way." She spat the word Potter from her mouth with the cruelest of tongues.

"What, you saw James last—"

"Yes, and he told me all about his horrid little scheme! How irresponsible, how naive you are Mackenzie!"

McGavott bit her lip, her own anger bubbling. She stole a quick glance to the side. "People can hear you Lily. James is listening."

"No he's not," said Lily quickly, denying what she knew was the truth. "You think everything is just innocent fun, well Remus is one of them, and eventually he'll want more. You know what I mean!" Lily's tone turned less harsh and more soft and caring.

Mackenzie swelled, stammering with a quavering lip, "You're wrong Lils, and this is my business, n-not y-yours."

"It's so abrupt, so unlike you! You lied to me for some... fleeting boy! It's so unlike you!"

"No," said Mackenzie firmly, "It's so unlike you. I'm not you Lily. You might hate James, but I don't and I'm sick of you telling me what to think!"

"I never meant to! I just wanted to—"

Mackenzie held up her hand to stop Lily from going any further. "I know you care," she began slowly, "And I know you mean well, but this time... back off."

"Back off? I just... I..." Lily's eyes glistened with forming tears. "I... fine," she gulped, nodding. "You know what's best for yourself, I'll be... I'm going to bed."

James was in the corner reading. His eyes flashed up and met Lily's. Ashamed of her tears, she turned from him and sped up the stairs.

James looked at Sirius. "What do you suppose?"

"Don't go poking you nose in Lily Evan's business, she'll just hate you more James. Ignore it," advised Sirius, going back to his notes.

James' heart panged as he looked up the stairway, somehow he didn't think Padfoot was right.

Things are turning out bitter between McGavott and Evans. We didn't anticipate this kind of tension. Half the things Evans said were pure insulting! What the hell did she mean by 'They'll want more', what does she think, that we're sex fiends? I don't know where she got that idea, and I'm furious that she thinks Remus is unsatisfactory! Really, he's the best out of all of us (I'm humble enough to admit) and he deserves a girl for once.

The way she said Potter, made me want to squeeze the life out of that redhead! What makes her think she's any better than James? I just want to jinx her when she rolls her eyes at him, but I refrain for James' sake. After last night, and what she said to McGavott just now, I... I don't hate her, but it's certainly something close to it. She's a snippy little witch in my opinion and I think James is better off with out her.

Just watch, James is going to feel sorry for her, try to fix things, and just make himself look stupid. He always blows it. He acts like the biggest idiot at the worst of times, I've found. He shouldn't give Evans any sympathy, she deserves a bit of torture. Let her brood for a couple of days and then things will go back to normal. It's always that way with girls. One moment they're writing each other death threats, the next they're preplanning each other as bride's maids for their weddings. I don't understand it. Girls do things like that though. My cousin Ani, (Andromeda) already knows what her gown is going to look like and she's insistent upon a winter wedding in Rochester. By God, the woman isn't even engaged and I don't think she's even got a boyfriend. She told me this as if I'd really care, it was all in one ear and out the other, but I remember the wedding stuff quite clearly, because it sounded so preposterous.

Moony finally has the woman of his dreams (but I don't know how long that'll last, with Evans sticking her finger in the pie). I'm happy for Moony, I truly am, but I feel horribly tortured seeing them together. I have my hopes on an impossible girl. Doesn't Sinistra see, she'd go beautifully with me! Not too short, not too tall, excellent figure, long hair. It's a dream package and I'm furious that she's so narrow-minded not to see it.

That nasty Lily Evans probably put ideas into her head, turning her against me. After all, what was it McGavott was saying? Oh yes, that Lily was trying to tell her how to think! Sounds like a pushing dame. It just adds another tally mark to my "Why Evans isn't Suitable" list. She's probably harmless, I know, but she's getting to be a problem. James just takes all her insults! She should at least give him a break once and a while, we're all human right?

James' birthday is Tuesday. I've got a doozy planned. It's even better than birthday spankings, which James has been pinning for Evans to do. He'd have more luck with her slapping him on his facial cheeks, I think.

Filch will be receiving a 'good clean' punishment soon, James and I have decided. Hope he likes cockroaches and honey. We're going to do something to the Slytherins too, just for spite. Keeps us on our toes, you know.


N/A: Okay ya'll, that's it for the September 6th entry. I hope for chapter twelve to be up a lot quicker. I really think 11 and 12 should be together, as the story line is sort of linked. I need your thoughts. Tell me what you like and what you don't. If you don't like McGavott, tell me. If the story is getting bla tell me too. I need to know these things for future reference and improvement.

Okay, this next part is kind of random, but someone asked about Harry, so I've written a little update on how he's doing. Sorry to all you Harry Haters (after the 5th book I've found there's quite a few, oddly enough), but I couldn't resist...

June passed dismally at #4 Privet Drive. The heat was sweltering and the air conditioning had broken down at the Dursleys. This put Uncle Vernon is even fouler spirits than usual and Aunt Petunia into something of a nervous wreck. Petunia's condition declined with each of her wilting begonias and she fret endlessly about the state of the lawn and what the neighbors would think. She failed to realize that her neighbors' lawns were experiencing the same loss of greenery as well and that a shabby yard was inevitable. Harry was getting the worst blast of Petunia's steam. His very presence set her to boil and she would rant and rave about the state of his hair and room, finding them both with detestable flaw.

Harry brightened somewhat at the arrival of birthday cards and well wishes. He was a spry young sixteen, but hardly felt it. Seclusion did not suit him at all and he was highly insulted when the Dursleys gave him a cheap pocket comb for his birthday. This was clearly in mocking, for it was known, that no comb could settle Harry's hair.

It all really happened late one afternoon in early August. Aunt Petunia had come into Harry's room to gather his laundry for washing, when she noticed the album on his bed.

"What's that?" she snapped, catching a glimpse of that familiar red hair.

"It's nothing!" exclaimed Harry, jumping to his feet to shut the cover. Petunia reached the album before him, gasping at the sight of her baby sister and her husband.

"Where did you get this?" she asked, her voice shaking. Her eyes darted threateningly to Harry.

"It was a gift," he said hoarsely, his fingernails were digging into his palm as he refrained from lunging for the album. "It's mine, give it back!"

"I'll give it back when I've taken a good look at it!" cried Petunia, holding the album back from Harry with a childlike greed.

Harry's jaw was clamped tight, he had to control his anger. It had nearly expelled him twice and he could not risk it again.

Petunia turned the page, her eyes widening. She sneered at a rather comical close up of James.

"Ridiculous, smart-ass of a boy!" she spat. "Insulted Vernon on their first meeting. If having a witch in the family wasn't bad enough, she had to bring Potter into it!"

Harry simply glared, envisioning the worst possible means of torture for her.

"The first dinner party we had she insisted on bringing him. You think he'd have had the decency to wear a suit, but no! He showed up in bloody ridiculous... what's that sport your kind play?"

Harry was taken aback that she would even ask, "Quidditch," he said shortly.

"Yes well, that kind of attire, dragon hide and all! Imagine what out guests thought!"

Harry glowed inwardly, reflecting on how cool his father must have looked in front of so many stiffs. Dragon hide? James must have been very serious about the sport.

"And you think with everything he learned at that school he could have flattened his hair. But that was nothing compared to his cocky mouth!"

"Really?" asked Harry saucily.

"He made obscenely snide remarks at Vernon and Marge, as if he, the freak, knew better!"

Harry could wait no longer without speaking his mind, "What did he say? That you're all selfish pigs, because I for one know that to be very true!"

Petunia's nostrils flared, her expression turned sour, "Selfish? When we have to put up with you? Had your father only known we'd be raising you, he'd have shut his dirty mouth. He was a fool!"

Harry stepped forward. He was a full head taller than Petunia now, and he challenged her with his size. "I think he sounds brilliant! It sounds like he had the right idea about you from the start. He could see right through you, couldn't he?"

Petunia took a wary step back, but attacked him shrilly, "You're just as ungrateful, just as foolish! No matter what we've taught you! Anymore of this kind of talk boy and I'll throw your dear old father in the flames!" Petunia held up the album threateningly.

Harry's face twisted into a wry smile, "Clever, light a fire on a summer's day like this? Oh, and it might help if we didn't have an electric fireplace."

Petunia reddened, "There's plenty more ways to punish you! The freaks at your school can't stop me from that can they? And don't be smart with me, how would you like to miss supper again?"

Harry was silenced. He had skipped eating all day, and Petunia's threat did not at all sound appealing.

Petunia turned the page, viewing a strikingly good photograph of Sirius, standing with Remus at the Potter's wedding. Petunia's mouth crept into a dry smile, "Potter and his freaks, that Black, I remember him."

"Sirius Black," corrected Harry.

Petunia glared. "Yes I know," she snapped. "Just as deficient as Potter. Tall, dark fellow, Vernon was right to call him the 'Lunatic with the leather jacket'."

"Shut up," said Harry, quietly.

"Another of your loved ones, Black?"

Harry didn't answer, he'd never let her know of Sirius' death. It would seem like a defeat, a shameful defeat, and he couldn't bear for Sirius to be mocked.

"Too fond of parties Black was," said Petunia foully. "And of the drink! I don't think one could ever forget him. No, you couldn't have a sane party with him. The wretch would work his... (Petunia would never say the word magic) ways on every decent woman. He was a dirty minded piece of filth, like your father."

"That's a not true," fumed Harry, "That's a load of crap!"

Petunia flinched at Harry's choice of words (much like cringing wizards made at the name Voldemort), "How would you know, you weren't even born! He was a freak, they were all freaks!"

"And you were jealous!" bellowed Harry.

Petunia looked furious, but Harry continued boldly, defending his parents once and for all. "It's amazing how you remember so much, about Sirius, my dad and a school you didn't even go to. You were jealous, admit it!"

Petunia tried to laugh lightly, but it was hardly convincing. "Jealous? What did I have to be jealous of? My sister? Certainly not! Marry a complete crazy, end up dead, you think that's something to envy? Of course, sometimes I wish she took her lowly son with her!"

Petunia watched Harry's anger rise, contented with her success. He could feel the floor beneath him shake, he was letting go, slipping into a rage. Control was losing him. Harry's brain buzzed, he had to stop, he was going to be expelled. She had insulted his father, his mother, and Sirius, the closest to loving family he'd ever known. What would James have done, thought Harry. Would he tolerate this bitter hag or would he jinx her good and proper?

Petunia prodded once more, "You think we like a scrounging little rat in our midst? No one likes a nuisance, a pain in their side!"

"Funny, I was thinking the same about you."

That did it, Harry was locked once more in his room and was not given dinner that night. With a wavering hand he wrote to Remus, trying to sound as calm as possible, though he certainly felt other wise.

Remus got the letter a little less than an hour later, while he was scrubbing down the floors on the lower landing (dust seemed to accumulate in the Black house faster than ever). Hedwig had landed on his shoulder, startling him so, that he spilled the water bucket. He supposed she must have flown in through an open window, and graciously took the letter from her beak. She perched herself atop one of the elf heads and crooned peacefully. Remus unfolded the letter and read...

Dear Remus,

I don't mean to be rude or anything, but I've been here much too long. Dudley has a girlfriend (I would never have thought it possible), and things are worse than ever. My Aunt's been on edge ever since I got home, more on edge than usual, and she's done a lot of... strange things. She raves a lot too now, mumbles things when she thinks no one's listening (reminds me of Kreacher actually). She's been saying things about my mum too, and my dad. Uncle Vernon suggested taking her a psychiatrist, but she insists she's just fine. It's odd, just this morning she was crying over the porridge pot, blubbering about my mum. Dudley wouldn't eat it, he said it was too salty.

There's something else I have to tell you too. You know that album I showed you last Christmas, the one with the pictures of my mum and dad, well I was stupid enough to leave it on my bed and when Aunt Petunia came in to do the laundry she found it and well...She made some nasty comments about my dad, and compared me to him like she always does. She knew Sirius too. I didn't know. She said he was "that lunatic with the leather jacket" I don't know what that means, but I got really angry and she took away the album.

This is a plea for help! Hope you and Buckbeak are well. And please tell Ron and Hermione I wrote, I've run out of parchment and my only means to contact them.

Sincerely yours.

(A very hungry, starving) Harry.


Remus looked up from the letter with weary eyes. "Harry's not doing well then?" he asked Hedwig, scratching her head. She hooted dolefully.

Remus nodded, "There's not much I can do, unless he wants me to go over there and give that aunt of his hell." Hedwig flapped her wings, hooting eagerly. "Well of course I really shouldn't..." The snowy owl wilted. "That's more a job for Moody. Tonight's a meeting, I'll tell him then."

Hedwig seemed much more fond of this idea, and nibbled at Remus' fingers affectionately. He looked away, smiling. "The lunatic with the leather jacket. Oh Sirius would have found that amusing."

In Sirius' younger years, once out of school mostly, he took to the rugged look, with black leather jacket and motorbike. Those were his days of self-exploration and daring. Remus remembered Lily had commented that the jacket made Sirius look "hard" and that a cleaner cut look suited him best. Of course, Sirius was still a man of style and class, he just fancied his toys.

The motorcycle also had a magnet affect when it came to women, and that was one his main reasons for liking it so much. In the times before and after school, Sirius held a lover boy mystique that so intrigued females. When he used to work part time as bar tender at the Leaky Cauldron, the female help would giggle and squeal at the roar of his approaching motorcycle. When James would tease him about it, Sirius would just roll his eyes, but it was obvious that deep down, he really enjoyed the attention.

Remus blinked, returning his thoughts to the present.

"Well I'll send some crumb cake and a few rolls of parchment," he said to Hedwig, who had been eyeing his suspiciously, whilst he was in his thoughtful trance.

"That should tide Harry over at least for a couple of days."

He sighed again and looked far away. "So Petunia's taken to the mickey, has she? It's about time, after sixteen years I'd certainly think so. Guilt has it's own time for everything I suppose, even if it takes a decade and a few to settle in."

Hedwig hooted conversationally.

"Yes, well I'm glad you think so," smiled Remus.

In a matter of minutes, he had gathered a good sized lemon bunt cake from the pantry, and five rolls of parchment, using one to write his own letter.

Dear Harry,

I hate to ask this of you, but please be patient. I've talked to Dumbledore, and things will change soon enough. I'm sorry to hear about your current condition. I don't feel out of turn at all, when I say I'd like to jinx that hag aunt of yours and I'm sure Sirius would have said the same. I'll have Moody on it right away!

Enjoy the bunt and let Ron and Hermione know how you're doing. Stay sharp.

Sincerely,

R. Lupin


Remus sealed the letter and sent Hedwig out the window with the parcel. He gazed gloomily after the vanishing white spec.

"James would have killed us if he'd known," he told an elf head, sadly. "Petunia Dursley, of all the God awful souls in the world, oh James would have killed us. I doubt he'd ever have thought his son would be surviving off moldy bunt and saltines. Could he have imagined Sirius dead, and Peter..." Remus trailed off.

In the quickest spurts of anger, Remus kicked the water bucket. Disgruntled, he knelt down and snatched up the sponge, scrubbing furiously at the floor. "Oh Remus!" he cried to himself, "You are a fool."

Mrs. Black started screaming down the hall, but she was the least of his worries.*

N/A: I know, random. But what did you think? Getting to big juicy issues next chapter. REVIEW! Can you believe there are those evil people that read stories and don't review them? Those people are meanies. Be a nice person and review... please. Most sincerely, Amalynne.