Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Ever Secret Diary of Sirius Black by Amalynne

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Disclaimer: We all wish we were Rowling, great uh huh ya. I’m not so boo hoo.

Note: This chapter will consist of many entries, but one main theme and or plot (whatever your preference) so don’t get too overwhelmed. It should be fairly easy reading, I don’t want to confuse ya’ll (sorry, Wyoming talk, couldn’t resist).

September 3rd, 6th year:

“How do you think Sinistra would react if she found a great black dog in her bed one morning?” Sirius mused over breakfast as Stella walked by.

“And how might I add, could the dog have gotten there, considering it doesn’t know the Ravenclaw password or that it’s utterly impossible for it to get up the staircase?” Moony asked innocently. The comment had shattered Sirius’ fantasy.

“You didn’t answer my question Moony. Besides, I always thought you could levitate me in through the window.”

Moony frowned, pondering an answer. “I think she’d scream and kick the mutt out of her sheets.”

“Oh, well what does Prongs think?” Sirius turned to James whose nose was buried in an article of the Daily Prophet labeled, “Latest Nimbus model 1000”.

“I gotta get me one of these.” He mumbled to himself.

“What does Prongs think?” Sirius repeated again, louder this time.

“Oh, ya what Remus said, sure.” James was back to reading the article in a stupor with the Nimbus 1000.

“She might wake up sneezing too though.” Moony added thoughtfully, returning to the topic of Sinistra. “I hear she’s allergic to cats, maybe it’s the same for dogs.” He avoided Sirius’ gaze.

All night Sirius had been talking in his sleep, telling James to shut up and Elise to stop sneezing. It had been an amusing night for Moony, but a tortured one for Padfoot. Sirius had jumped when Moony had mentioned the word sneeze. He suppressed smiling as he continued, “You’d be better off bounding up to the Ravenclaw table and begging than you’d be in her bed.”

“Well I won’t be going anywhere near her anytime soon, now will I?” Sirius said snappishly, giving James an angry look. James squirmed uncomfortably in his seat and cleared his throat, he too avoiding Sirius’ eyes.

“Transfiguration today.” He said, changing the subject.

“And arithmacy for me.” Groaned Moony. “You two should have taken it this year, it’s so boring in there now.”

“Well you and McGavott can snuggle together in your little study group in the back instead.” Sirius offered, flicking the crumbs from his toast at Wormtail.

Moony’s face fell, “I won’t be seeing her, did I tell you? She says Evans can help her just fine. I think Lily persuaded her out of it, something to do with me being friends with James I’m sure.” Moony gave James an apologetic look and sighed, “That just registered her as down right stupid in my mind. I suppose it’s all for the better...” He trailed off staring absently down at his hands.

BAM! James slammed his fist down on the table, causing some third years to jump. He hadn’t meant to hit it so hard, but ignored the goggling faces and continued in a harsh whisper to Moony.

“You go up to McGavott right now and you demand she go out with you!” he returned to his regular tone. “That’s twisted that is! What’s it Evans has against me anyway?”

“It’s more the fact that you exist.” Said a voice coolly from behind. It was Lily. She mocked James’ previous comment in reference to Snape. James winced, he was beginning to feel the sting of his own words. She didn’t dally and sped away, her nose high in the air.

Hiss, scratch, meow!” came from Sirius’ side of the table. “She really loves you Prongs, I can tell.”

“You’re not funny right now.” James said quietly. His face looked sick with humiliation, he had never counted on Lily firing his own guns against him. He held his chin in his hands and took to a glum countenance. “Great” he mumbled irritably, “Just great.”

“Sorry mate.” Said Sirius, exchanging looks with Remus.

No more was said about Evans or McGavott the rest of breakfast, girls seemed all too much a painful topic. The new round of conversation centered on Snivellus.

“Has anyone seen him this morning?” asked James.

“I bet he’s too ashamed, has ogres following him or something.” Grinned Sirius, visualizing the scene in his mind.

“We’ll know next period won’t we.” Said James, tearing out the article on racing brooms.

Wormtail had been silent most the time, engrossed in his meal, eating was his religion and ritual. With one great gulp he piped up, asking eagerly, “Did you really pour the whole bottle on ‘im James, did you?”

“Yeah.” Said James carelessly.

“The whole thing Prongs? That could kill a man!” Only Moony could be so noble as to care for the well being of Snape.

James raised an eyebrow, “Could it? No loss to me, it’s only Snivelly. I don’t know who’d miss him.”

Wormtail resumed his position as hero worshiper to Prongs and laughed wildly at James’ comment. This time both Prongs’ brows ascended, it hadn’t really been all that humorous. Usually he would have basked in the glow of this attention, but this time it was embarrassing.

Sirius saved him. “Let up Wormtail, you’ll give yourself a hernia.” The mousy boy ceased his laughter, now feeling more stupid than before.

I’d rather not relive the rest of today, as it was comparable to the yesterday. Fainting and more fainting, but no deer, thank God! Moony’s going through a bit of depression. McGavott, rotten McGavott broke his poor ol’ werewolf heart and now he’s in pieces. He won’t admit to it, but I know it’s tearing him up. So many girls have just... given up on him. I really hate to see it. Maybe things will be different next time.

James and I have taken to eating in the kitchens, the elves aren’t affected by our stench and they give you loads. Squeaky little generous things they are. I dropped our map on the way out and here comes this high voice, “Master Black sir, Hobble wishes you to take this sir, it’s yours sir!”

The bloke handed me back the map knowing full well its uses. Noble souls, noble! I wish I could say the same for Kreacher, any chance he could get he’d rat on me, dirty snitch he was, like Regulus. I’m not going back home though, not next summer. I’d die first. Maybe I’ll turn out like that homeless mate I saw back in London, he probably has it better than me anyway.

Still working on a counter curse for the cologne, that’s with Potions and Charms to boot.


September 4th, 6th year:

James finally found a solution to our eau de cologne problem, l’essence mauvais charm. It only works for a few hours and wears away rather swiftly, but at least I can walk down the halls with out knocking out any more damsels.

We also discovered that l’essence mauvais (it’s French, what can I say?) works only within a matter of meters, so Elise can get about one body length away from me before she starts her sneezing round. It’s been hard avoiding her, as she’s in all my classes. Everywhere I go I hear this annoying, “Aahh... aahh... chewww!” and I’m so damn tired of hearing Remus say “Gesundheit”. He does it on purpose, I think. He gets a bit of a sick fancy watching James and me squirm.

As for Snivellus, well we haven’t seen much of him. Apparently, yesterday after breakfast, Snape approached Narcissa (my God awful cousin) with a question and she passed out. No one could revive her (no one was really helping to tell you the truth, it amazes me how Slytherins can’t care for their own) and she was sent to the hospital wing.

She’s been in reported “critical condition” ever since and Snivellus will be in solitary confinement until the odor wears away. Perhaps, if we’re lucky, he’ll be there forever. Maybe a whole bottle means an eternity of essence. Ha! When he’s dead, girls will keel over his grave.

It must be bad if Madame Pompfrey won’t even go near him. From what I hear, an odd concentration of rats have been slipping into the hospital wing. They can smell Snape from miles around and Flitwick says this is the worst rodent problem they’ve had in years. Good old Snivellus, stuck with his own kind, oh I beam at the thought.

My good man Moony has it tough, but I hope that soon to change. James and I have concocted a plan that might suit Remus’ needs. Prongs needs help too. Evans really seems to hate him. Remus and I have been trying to come up with something for years, but now it’s been proven that only a miracle could bring Potter and Evans together.

Yesterday was hell in Transfiguration, I hope it’s not as bad tomorrow. You know, I think McGonagal has it in for me. Touchy brawd, really.


September 5th, 6th year:

Remus heard the voice before he saw the memory.

“Mr. Pettigrew will you please pay attention!” McGonagall's drafty classroom faded into view. She was hovering over Peter’s desk, her hawk like eyes bearing down on him.

“Don’t let Potter’s gyrations distract you. It may be impossible for him to refrain, but I expected better of you. Now, lets see you vanish this piglet. Come now boy, I haven’t all day!” McGonagall had always been rather short with Peter and it was no exception on this fine day, Friday.

Peter wiped his sweaty palms on his robes and grabbed his smudgy wand, his hand shook nervously as he uttered the spell. The piglet squealed, but nothing happened, it was still visible.

“That’s incorrect Mr. Pettigrew. Balatemporas, Balatemporas, emphasis on the syllables. Once again now please.”

Peter tried once more. McGonagall flared her nostrils in irritation. “That’s homework for you tonight Pettigrew! That’s a fifth year incantation, this is review. You should know the material!”

Wormtail frowned as she passed him, shrinking lower in his chair.

Having no sympathy for Peter, James and Sirius continued entertaining Hufflepuff, Mundungus Fletcher, a gangly boy with stringy unwashed hair. They were causing a bit of a ruckus and they kept meeting the reprimanding eye of McGonagall, upon which they promptly ceased their antics.

McGonagall had her back to the class as she etched the day’s lesson in the board.

“As I’m sure you are aware, it is a double period today (Wormtail looked surprised), half part review, the other, new material. About fifteen minutes more should be enough.” She whipped around at the sound of Mundungus’ snorting laughter. He fell silent, clasping his hands over his mouth.

McGonagall narrowed her eyes, “I should see all piglets vanished and no hiding them under the table like last time Stebbins, I will know a properly vanished piglet, I’ll tell you that right now.”

The course of about ten minutes had passed, when McGonagall had had enough of James and Sirius.

Potter, Black! This is not comedy hour, now I don’t know what you’ve picked up on that muggle contraption called the telly, but it is not suited for this class!”

“Um professor,” intervened a meek ginger haired girl. “It’s called a television, you should take muggle studies... uh I mean... sorry professor.” Mumbled Bones, turning bright red at a sharp glance from McGonagall.

“I will have no more of this! Potter, come up here with Evans, and Collier in the back with Black. Yes, now for quiet arrangements.”

“What!?” shrieked Lily, appalled at the idea of sitting anywhere near James.

“I object!” proclaimed Sirius.

“Do you? Well until I hear a legitimate excuse, I’m not changing my mind.”

“B-but professor, I’m allergic!” squealed Elise Collier. McGonagall stopped dead in her tracks and surveyed Elise skeptically.

“Come now Miss Collier, Black isn’t all that bad.” The class erupted with laughter.

“No professor, to um...” Elise hushed her voice and whispered in McGonagal’s ear. McGonagall raised her eyes to Sirius. Her emerald orbs danced with amusement behind square-lensed spectacles as she spoke.

“Mr. Black, I must request that you refrain from applying anymore... sniffum (a girl giggled in the back), whilst working with Miss McGavott, as it affects her senses.”

“Black affects my senses.” Sighed Tallulah Stover to her neighbor. Evans shot her a nasty look.

Sirius nodded curtly to McGonagall and shrunk irritably down in his chair, crossing his arms in protest.

“In the meantime,” she continued, “Impervious Fumonious. There Miss Collier, that should last you the rest of the day. Now Potter, up here.” McGonagall pointed her wand to the seat next to Lily.

James glowed as he swaggered to Lily’s side. She glanced at him quickly, and rolled her eyes, making a gagging imitation to her right, that only McGavott could see.

In the back, Elise was rather hesitant about placing herself next to Sirius. She held her breath as she sat down and thanked God quietly, when she realized she was sneeze free. Sirius recoiled himself from her, keeping all his limbs a good arm’s length away.

“I should be more afraid of you than you are of me.” She whispered to him. “That sneeze of mine has gotten so bad, it even annoys myself.” Sirius said nothing and continued to glare at her.

Elise was clearly offended. “Such a social reject that I’m unworthy to talk to? I see how it is, fine then.” She turned from him with the same indignation he shown her, making Sirius feel deep down, rather cruel.

He looked aimlessly at the top of her spinster, trying to recall a time he’d ever seen it down, and wondered how blind she was, behind her horn rimmed specs. Elise was the booky type that drove Sirius bonkers and he pitied himself at the boredom he was to experience sitting next to her.

He looked bitterly to the front where James kept scooting his chair closer to Lily’s. She’d pretend not to notice, keeping her eyes aloft to McGonagall. Now shoulder to shoulder, James cocked his head, sticking his hair in her face. Lily pushed him away and craned her neck to look at the board. James bobbled his head around and each way he moved he blinded her view.

Finally she forced her quill and parchment before him and snapped, “If you insist on remaining a road block, you take notes.”

“I wouldn’t dream of it.” He said sweetly, meeting her emerald eyes with his own hazel. Lily leaned back, avoiding the closeness. “I’ve never taken notes in my life.” He added cockily. “Stebbins does them for me.”

“Do you want me to fail?” Lily hissed, growing very impatient.

“No. You can just look at McGavott’s, cant you?”

“I, well...” James smirked at having out witted her. “I like to take my own.” She said loftily.

Liking Lily too much to molest her any longer, James sighed and picked up her pen and parchment. Lily gave him a look of horror, was he about to show her a kind gesture? He began to document the notes from the board. She watched him with the look of greatest doubt, leery of this Good Samaritan front. Eventually her nerves subsided and she let him continue, taking notice to how lovely his penmanship was for a boy.

Blotchy and narrow his cursive was, but Lily thought it surprisingly good, that is until she saw what he was really writing. He had gone a few lines and actually taken notes, but now he had written this across the page:

Because Miss Evans has been so kind to let dear Mr. Potter take notes for her, she is now forced to go out with him. If she does not, she will wake up one morning with a bottle of fire whiskey in hand and dear Mr. Potter amiss in the sheets with her. Mr. Potter does add that she can be saved from that fate right now if she agrees to go out with him. He also takes this moment to complement her on her gorgeous figure-

After that Lily grabbed the quill from him and kicked his chair back several feet. McGonagall stopped her lecture abruptly, looking awestruck at Lily.

“Miss Evans, there is no reason for that kind of atrocious behavior!”

“There is when it’s Potter.” Barked Lily, much out of turn. McGonagall pushed her glasses father up the bridge of her nose, disbelieving.

“Evans I... I ... five points from Gryffindor, for the both of you. Evans for manhandling Potter that way and Potter...”

“For just being Potter.” Uttered Lily under her breath.

“...for disrupting the class.” Decided McGonagall.

“Disrupting?!” cried James.

“Manhandling?!” echoed Lily.

“Silence the both of you! Anymore of this behavior and I will give you both detention.”

“With Evans?” smiled James hopefully. McGonagall did not answer him, but turned stiffly back to the board, resuming her lecture.

James turned around, looking mournfully back at Sirius.

“Bad luck Prongs.” He mouthed in sympathy.

Sirius’ face contorted into a haze as the memory switched. The Great Hall was bustling with students eager for their midday meal. The Marauders were seated at their usual nitch at the Gryffindor table. Moony watched heart broken as McGavott strode by, whilst James and Sirius eyed him with humorous expressions.

“You know Moony, I think it’s that time again.” Said James, his eyes agleam with mischief.

“For what?” jumped Moony. “James it’s only half waxing, I don’t know what you-”

“No, no. It’s time for some help from the Marauders. Sirius, the plans.”

“No need to explain really, just a good old message from the Messrs. Yes it always works doesn’t it?” sighed Sirius dreamily, running his fingers through his hair

(A/N: My friend who is wonderfully imaginative claims she gets chills when I describe Sirius. She’s the same girl who thinks anime characters are hot. I don’t know about you, but is it possible to have a “crush” on a figment of an author’s imagination? I suppose you can, but I don’t think it’s normal. Then again, I love Sirius, so we’re all good).

“F-for, for McGavott you mean?” blubbered Moony, stealing a glance at the girls at the other end of the table.

“Who else?” shrugged James, he could see the growing excitement in Moony’s eyes.

“Very well,” smiled Moony. “I’ll leave it up to you three, and the meeting place?”

“The mute maid, on the fourth floor.” Whispered James.

Moony nodded and gathered up his books. “Right you are, see you then.”

A whirl and a tug forward brought Remus to the Quidditch pitch. It was late afternoon and a hazy orange sunset blended into the purple mounts afar. What was left of the sun’s light shone on Evans and McGavott, as they talked animatedly together at the edge of the field. Neither seemed to notice the great black dog crouched low near the stands, listening to their every word.

“Oh Lily!” cried Mackenzie. “I found it in my book bag after arithmacy! What would you do? I don’t, I just don’t know! Would you answer something like this?”

“Who did you say it was from?” asked Lily calmly, hoping to soothe the nerves of her companion.

“Marauder, the Marauders. Who could that possibly be? They said there names were... oh now let me see. M-moony, Warmtail, was it Warmtail, I just don’t remember, Padfoot and uh... Prongs, yes that’s right I think.”

“Prongs, Prongs? Oh that’s what Black calls Potter! Mackenzie don’t you see, it’s Potter’s band. Haven’t you heard them calling each other those stupid nicknames?” Exclaimed Lily, proud of her new revelation.

“Sirius calls James Prongs? Oh my! For so long I thought he was calling him Thongs, I should have my ears checked.” Makenzie laughed abashedly. The dog in the grass fidgeted.

Lily shushed her, “I wouldn’t answer anything, any one of them has put together. My guess is that you’re the bait of one of their pranks!”

“But Lily, you haven’t read it, you see... I’m under obligation.” Mackenzie handed Lily the roll of parchment from her pocket.

Lily’s eyes scanned the page in a whirl, her countenance growing more stern with every word, her eyes widening in fury. Remus neared in to read the letter and it was as follows:

Our Dear Miss McGavott,

The Messrs of Mischief and otherwise known as the Marauders, cordially invite you to an occasion of most intrigue. Please be on the fourth floor at ten o’clock tonight, next to the painting of the mute maid (don’t worry, she’ll keep our little secret) with this letter as proof of validity. You have been hand picked and selected by one of our Messrs and we do add that such is quite an honor. With that in mind, you are also on obligation to attend, lest you wish a proper jinxing. We greatly thank you for your cooperation and we wish you the best of days.

Very and Quite Sincerely,

Messrs of Mischief:

Moony, who complements you on your genuine heart.

Wormtail, who complements you on your legs.

Padfoot, who admits to copying you potions essay, many thanks.

And Prongs, who wishes to express his adoration for all the Gryffindor girls, Evans especially.

P.S. You’d do best to keep this close at hand, as it is a top secret bit of parchment, dangerous thing you know.


“It’s a trap, don’t answer it.” Said Lily flatly, forcing the letter back into Mackenzie’s hands.

“But Lils, you read it! They’ve threatened to-”

“Ignore it. Don’t give them the attention they want. It’s a trap, a nasty trap and Potter’s behind it.” Sniffed Lily, impervious to persuasion.

“You’re probably right.” Sighed Mackenzie, brushing her light brown ringlets from her eyes. Both girls stood in a moment of silence, gazing at the letter clutched in Mackenzie’s hand.

“You said you had something to tell me too.” She said quietly, giving Lily a sidelong glance.

“Oh it’s nothing,” she muttered quickly. “Just...”

“Complaints about Potter?” offered Mackenzie, knowingly.

“I have nothing to say about that conceit.” Lily insisted, crossing her arms.

“Oh, hmm I see.”

“What do you mean ‘I see’? It’s as if you think I’m lying or something!”

“Well you’re not very convincing, you’re a terrible liar you know Lils.”

“I am not lying! I just think Potter’s a rotten, rotten boy who should use a comb for once, with that dreadful nest he’s got sprouting from his head!”

“Oh you like his wild hair.” Teased Mackenzie.

“No I don’t, it’s a frightful mess to be honest.”

“No,” mused Mackenzie airily, “I don’t suppose it’s anywhere near the ranks of Sirius Black’s. I still think he uses Madame Vaniteuse Hair Elixir, oh with that shine.” The girls giggled and the dog in the grass growled slightly, taking Mackenzie’s comment to personal offense.

“It’s a shame they’re all so unsatisfactory. Lupin seems to be the only one with sense, but still... that’s debatable.” Mackenzie looked at the sky, the half crescent of a waxing moon shown dimly above.

“We should go back now.” Suggested Lily, taking Mackenzie by the arm. Lily faced her, looking at her friend squarely. “Don’t answer it.” She pressed, referring to the letter. “It’s a dodgy sort of thing. Just please, for me, don’t.” Mackenzie looked away, contemplating how best to answer Lily. She finally nodded in hesitant agreement, although her eyes traveling shiftily to the side as she did.

Lily smiled broadly, “Oh good, good Mackenzie, I’m so glad. Lets be off now, supper.”

The dog waited long until the squeak of the girls’ sneakers against the grass faded away, to show his true form. In seconds, the canine turned from mutt to young man, shaking the kinks from his legs.

Sirius had been listening to Evans and McGavott for quite some time, and his crouching position had not suited his joints well. He now wished for a hot shower and some firewhiskey (he and James had taken a liking to it late last year, when Madame Rosmerta had bet Sirius five galleons to try a swig. Of course, you can only imagine what happened).

He sighed heavily and took a small mirror from his back pocket. He looked around to ensure he was alone and uttered the name James Potter. The mirror buzzed blue, and in the frame shown the spry young face of Prongs.

“Things going well?” he inquired.

“Fairly.” Sirius answered breathlessly. He had no idea the air was so cold until now, his shaggy warm coat had protected him earlier.

“Well don’t go beating about the bush, tell me!” James urged, wrinkling his nose in a boyish fashion.

“Evans tried to persuade ‘er out of it, but I think we’ve got her. Tell Moony it’s all go.”

“Right.” Nodded James, then furrowed his eyebrows. “Where are you? You’re shivering like mad!”

“Out on the Quidditch field.” Chattered Sirius, “God this is bloody cold for September!”

“Well get back in here quick I... do you hear that? S’on your side I think.”

Indeed it was. A high pitched giggle came from behind one of the stands. The shadow of Bellatrix Black played against the grass, followed by the lengthy and broader form of Rodolphus Lestrange.

“Ooh!” Bellatraix laughed wretchedly, “Why’d you bring me out here?”

“Why else?” drawled Lestrange, grabbing Bellatrix around her waiste.

Sirius was temporarily reminded of what muggle born Mundungus had once told him. “Trix are for kids.” He had said this the last time they saw Bellatrix. Sirius had given him a quizzical glance to which Dung merely answered, “Ah, muggle stuff”.

Lestrange drew Bellatrix in and Sirius instinctively looked away, gagging at the thought.

“What’s going on out there?” pressed James, with a curious grin.

“Just-” Sirius cringed once more, having seen the two figure topple to the ground. “-cousins. See you in a few. Ugh! All right, well bye.” The mirror buzzed and James’ face vanished, leaving Sirius in the awkward position of spectator to Bellatrix and Rodolphus’ (A/N: Who’d name their kid Rodolphus any way?) romantic moment.

Withholding the urge to stupefy the two and report them, Sirius slipped past unnoticed, and made his way to the Great Hall, where James and Moony awaited him. Hopefully things would go well and Moony would win McGavott.

Remus detached himself from the memory, the temptations of dream overtaking him. In the loft Buckbeak gave one giant snore, causing Remus to jump. He looked to the clock on the wall. It was a quarter and a few after twelve. He would finish his reading tomorrow. His lids were heavy and he struggled to keep them open as he folded a tab to the date September 5th.

Remus pushed Sirius’ possessions to the side and propped his head against Buckbeak’s belly. The beast’s depthy snore proved as a catalyst to sleep, somewhat like counting sheep really. He dimmed the lights with his wand and peered through the open window at the white crescent in the ink black sky. He shuddered and turned over on his side, hoping to dream of more pleasant things, like the Marauders and their will to woo McGavott for him.

N/A: Woo, wow, I’m out of breath. Tired. Have you noticed that when Remus is tired so am I? Ironic isn’t it, well I have to live vicariously through someone. This chap was meant for buildup purposes. Prends tes notes a moi, si vous plait. A.K.A: REVIEW!