Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Love at First Sip by Love_Me_Not_6964

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Snape awoke to birds singing, yet again. He recalled the night’s events with mixed emotion and decided that the only way he could keep those memories from the Dark Lord and his death eaters was to store them someplace else. In doing so, he would remember nothing of falling in love with Hermione nor would he- and this was much worse- remember Hermione falling in love with him. But it had to be done or he and Hermione would both receive the Avada Kedavra curse. No, he must protect her even at the cost of his memory. Even at the cost of his newfound heart…



Harry watched as Hermione walked to their table. She looked like a goddess this morning and, as she approached, Harry's ears filled with the sound of her soft humming. When she finally reached them, she sat down with the grace of a rose petal floating to the ground, which only enhanced the smell of roses now drifting past Harry, making his mouth water.

"Hermione," Ron stammered, "You look like an enchantress..."

Ron caught himself and broke out of his reverie, quickly mumbling a "just kidding" before turning cherry red. He turned to Harry and said, "Harry, close your mouth and for God's sake, stop drooling!"

Harry had not been drooling, though his mouth had been hanging open. He quickly shut it and shot Ron a helpless glance.

Meanwhile Hermione, slightly confused, continued eating but looked up in surprise when Harry said, "So, are you dressed up for Snape or is something special happening today?"

Ron snickered. "Yeah, we've got double potions with Snape today," but then, realizing what he had said was true, gave out a groan of disgust.

"I don't know what you boys are talking about. And it's Professor Snape, not just Snape. Honestly, you need to learn to respect -"

Harry laughed at her protesting. He had noticed her face turn from the pale white of shock to the bright red similar to the color Ron had just turned.

"It's OK, Hermione. Snape - I mean Professor Snape,” he said at the look she gave him, "well, he already told us."

Hermione's face lit up as she stammered excitedly. "He told you? Oh my -oh, I thought I was going to have to hide it from you also. It's been so hard..."

As she continued babbling, Harry felt a lightning bolt of pain strike through his chest. His eyes met Ron's and he saw the same pain gracing his heart.

Snape had been observing Hermione's behavior from the staff table. He ran his thumb over his bottom lip, mindlessly, as he calculated every smile -every gesture- his angel made. This was the last time -at least 'till Voldemort was defeated- that he would see her this way. Dumbledore cleared his throat and Snape's eyes flickered, but remained locked on Hermione. She was his happiness, his joy, his sanity. To erase her would only leave him with what he was before. An empty shell...

Dumbledore cleared his throat again, louder this time, and with a brief glance, Snape understood what he was saying.

"You must forget her."

Snape met Dumbledore's eyes again and this time it was Dumbledore receiving the message.

"Meet me in your office after breakfast. There is something we must discuss."

Snape turned to Hermione again to find her leaving with Harry and Ron. As she spun around, Snape saw a shadow of confusion cross her face. She knew something was wrong.



Snape, upon entering, observed Dumbledore pacing back and forth. After a few moments, Dumbledore sat down and glanced up.

"Please," Dumbledore implored, "sit down. You wished to speak to me about Hermione, I suppose?"

Snape remained standing, attempting to manipulate his words.

"Simplicity will do," he thought to himself then said aloud, "I have a meeting in four nights."

There was no need for explanation. Dumbledore was aware that the meeting was that of the death eaters.

"You know, as well as I," Snape continued, "that they will perform the Cruciatus curse on me. I can't afford to let him know about this...situation. He already thinks I'm soft, you know. Taking care of the children and what not." He hesitated. "I need to remove my memory of the past few weeks...most specifically the memories of Hermione. You need only to tell me where I am at in my lesson plan so that I don't repeat it and waste time. I must forget about Hermione...and love. If Voldemort detects even a hint of that, he will kill me. And her."

Dumbledore simply nodded, but there was an ocean of sadness behind his twinkling blue eyes.

"Do you intend to tell Hermione or will you just leave her in the dark?"

Snape began pacing, rubbing his thumb against his lip in the same way he had before, then stopped and stared down at the floor.

"I can't tell her," he whispered softly, "I don't know how long it will be until Voldemort is defeated. If she is captured, then our cause will become lost. She will not be able to endure the pain of the Cruciatus. She'd die within seconds."

Dumbledore lowered his head. Snape was right but, in being right, he failed to see the consequences. Chances had to be taken, and Dumbledore felt safe taking a chance on Hermione.



“Hermione!” Ron growled, “Will you stop talking about Snape already? It’s nauseating and “ don’t give me that look. If you can call him Severus, I can call him Snape.”

Hermione simply laughed. She was so relieved that she wouldn’t have to hide her affections for her professor from her two best friends. Blinded by her love, she failed to realize how much she was hurting them. After all, Snape had been their second worst enemy next to Voldemort.

Harry glanced at the clock for the twentieth time. He was dreading potions class. He didn’t know if he would be able to handle watching Snape and Hermione, but he was looking forward to it all the same. Would Snape treat them differently? Another glance at the clock told him it was time to go. Harry and Ron stood up with shaking nerves as Hermione sprang, her face lit up with excitement.

As they entered the classroom, Hermione sat as close to Snape as she could get. Harry and Ron followed.

“Turn to page 426.” Snape hissed. “Get out your quills and begin taking notes.”

Snape spun around and sat at his desk, oblivious to the looks of bewilderment on the three Gryffindor’s faces.

Harry turned to Hermione. “He sure isn’t acting any different.”

Hermione’s face reflected panic.

“Perhaps he is trying to get rid of everyone’s suspicions. Yes, that must be it. He said our love had to remain a secret.”

Harry glanced at Snape again. Was it an act to put off suspicions, or something else?