Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Mistaken Identities by hermionestar91

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A/N: This is my first fanfic I ever wrote! I liked the idea, and a lot of people in my family like it. I hope you will too!.
Note: This story won't make any sense unless you've read all 5 Harry Potter books!


"Miss Granger, do you understand the charges against you?" Cornelius Fudge said in his usual booming voice. For once, Hermione Granger said nothing.

"The charges stand as follows. You, Miss Hermione Granger, are charged with the murder of Percy Ignatius Weasley, on the date of June 17 at about 9:00 P.M. There are five eyewitnesses to this crime, and all are present here today- Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Weasley, Fred Weasley, George Weasley, and Ronald Weasley. Miss Granger, how do you plead?"

"Not guilty," Hermione replied. Her voice trembled slightly, but she looked as brave as she always did. Mrs. Weasley was crying. Her husband appeared to be beyond tears. Fred and George no longer had the usual scheming looks on their faces: rather, they looked sad and sullen. Fudge stood up and faced the court.

"I call Mr. Arthur Weasley to the stand." Mr. Weasley stood up and walked to the stand. He cleared his throat and began to speak.

"I would like to start by saying that I can't believe Hermione would ever do such a thing as to what I witnessed on the evening of the 17th of June. However, I must say what I saw, and I saw Hermione break into our house on the 17th of June around nine. She then proceeded to our living room and pointed her wand at our third son, Percy. She muttered something (I couldn't hear what), there was a flash of green light, and Percy slumped over and went limp in his chair before sliding to the floor. Before we could truly register what had just happened, Hermione had fled from our house." He finished his testimony and walked back to sit with his wife.

"Thank you, Arthur. I would now like to call Mrs. Arthur Weasley to the stand."

Mrs. Weasley slowly got up and went to the stand.

"First I would like to say that I agree with Arthur in saying that I would never think Hermione would ever do such a thing. Unfortunately I must say what I witnessed. Miss Granger broke into our home around 9:00 P.M. She walked into our living room, where Arthur, Fred, George, Ron, Percy, and myself were sitting. I was sitting nearest Percy, and was therefore closest when Hermione took out her wand. I heard her say "Avada Kedavra" before I realized what was happening. There was a flash of green light, and Percy collapsed on the floor. When I looked over at Hermione, she was already running out the door again." Mrs. Weasley was crying again and wiped her eyes as she went to sit back down.

"Thank you, Mrs. Weasley." Cornelius replied. "Fred, George, do either of you have anything to add?
Fred and George stood up.

"Yes, we do," they chorused. "But, well, the Ministry probably wouldn't believe it," George added.

"Well, what is it then?" Fudge asked irritably in a let's-just-get-this-over-with voice.

" Well, as Hermione was escaping after apparently murdering Percy, I looked out the window," Fred said, "and I saw Lucius Malfoy standing in the yard, his wand pointing threateningly at Hermione, as though he was controlling her!"



"You [i]WHAT?[/i]" Fudge bellowed in spite of if himself. Everyone knew why he was upset - he obviously found it hard to believe Lucius Malfoy would ever do such a thing as Fred had just described.

"You heard me. As I glanced out our living room window, I saw Lucius Malfoy in our yard, his wand pointed straight at Hermione!" Fred said irritably.

Fudge's voice had returned to normal. "Fred, George, did you see Lucius do anything after this?"

"HECK NO!" George said indignantly. "We were a lot more concerned for our brother lying dead on the floor!"

"I find it hard to believe Lucius would be near your house to begin with, George, and even harder to believe he would be threatening Hermione Granger!" Fudge said loudly. "But the focus of this trial is not Lucius Malfoy's behavior, but of Miss Granger murdering Percy Weasley!"

"I didn't do it! Hermione said furiously. "I'll take Veritaserum! Don't send me to Azkaban and hand me over to the dementors! I'm innocent, I tell you!" Hermione wailed.

"Miss Granger, all the evidence points to the contrary! Veritaserum, powerful as though it may be, can be overpowered by a powerful witch or wizard and would therefore have little effect on you!" Fudge replied. "Therefore, there is no way for you to prove your innocence, is there?" Fudge said with the slightest hint of a smirk. He turned to face the court.

"Wizengamot, are you ready to make a decision?" The Wizengamot murmured their consent. Hermione looked up anxiously. She would need a miracle to not be handed over to those foul dementors. "Those in favor of clearing Miss Granger of all charges?" Not one hand went up. "And those in favor of conviction of a lifelong sentence in Azkaban Prison?" Every hand went up. Fudge spoke once again.

"The Wizengamot has made its decision. Miss Hermione Granger, your sentence is a lifelong imprisonment-" Fudge broke off suddenly as the courtroom doors banged open.

"STOP!" came the voice from the doorway. "She's innocent! Don't hand her over to the dementors!" Hermione looked up, hardly daring to believe it. Ginny Weasley was standing in the doorway, pulling a reluctant-looking Draco Malfoy behind her.