Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Throughout Time Year 5-New Beginnings by SashaBT245

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The Monday after the match, exams began. Noelle wasn’t nervous about her exams; she had been studying with Lily for months. What worried her was since the past Saturday, she had felt weak. She forced herself not to think of it, and to focus on her exams.

The first exam she had was Potions, and as she hurried to the Great Hall. Severus was right next to her, quizzing her as they went.

“Severus, I know all I am going to know! You will make me forget!” she warned him.

He laughed, and patted her on the shoulder. “Good luck, Noelle!”

“Bonne chance, Severus!” she called to him as she found a seat near Lily.

As she read over the questions, she could hear Severus’s voice in her head, reminding her of formulas. Smiling to herself, she began to write.

After the exam, she burst out of the castle onto the sunny grounds. Severus caught up to her.

“How’d you do?”

She turned to him with a smile, “I had your voice in my head for every question! I think I did very well.”

She wrapped her arm around his shoulder and gave him a little hug. Leaning over, she kissed him on the cheek.

“Thank you, Severus.”

He looked shocked, and placed his hand over his cheek. He was silent for a minute, and then he realized she was staring at him.

“Are you okay?”

“Yeah, I’m fine...um...we’re having a picnic down by the lake...you’re welcome to join us if you’d like.”

“I would, very much. Thank you.”

She laced her arm through his and walked to where a bunch of Slytherins were lounging on the grass.

Dropping her bag on the ground, she unceremoniously collapsed. Lying flat on her back, she dramatically cast her hand over her eyes.

“I cannot take another exam. One was enough.”

The Slytherins around her laughed.

“Here, sounds like you need nourishment.”

She removed her hand from her eyes and peered up at the source of the unfamiliar voice. She sat up quickly. A boy with dark brown hair was holding a sandwich out to her. She stared at him. He was tall, well over six feet. His brown hair had streaks of blonde strewn through it. His eyes were blue, but not the deep navy of her own. They shone the same color as the Mediterranean. His teeth were white and perfectly straight. A silver Prefect badge glinted on his chest.

She realized she was staring and quickly tore her eyes from his lean frame. She reached for the sandwich, but he pulled it back. When she looked at him questioningly, he said,

“The sandwich, for your name.”

Noelle blushed. “Noelle Lemieux and you are?”

He handed her the sandwich, and settled down next to her.

“Colin MacDonald.”

She quickly made the connection. “You are the Seeker for Slytherin, n’est-ce pas?”

“I am. And you are the fifth year who is doing seventh year work in Transfiguration.”

She blushed deeper and nodded; she didn’t think anyone besides Professor McGonagall knew anything about that. Lily didn’t even know. He looked at her with a question in his eyes.

“What?” she asked.

“Oh, it’s nothing, really. I was just wondering what your house thinks of you sitting with us.”

Noelle shook her hair over her shoulders. “I really do not care. I’m only close with one girl in my house, and she does not care that I am friends with the Slytherins.”

Her accent enchanted him and he found himself staring into her navy eyes, not really listening to what she was saying.

“I’m sorry, what did you say?” he asked, embarrassed.

A small smile spread over her face. “I was just saying that you are a very talented Seeker.”

He blushed again. “Thanks...I wish my father thought the same.”

Noelle looked at him questioningly.

“My father doesn’t approve. He thinks a MacDonald should be working in the Ministry, not messing around on a broom.”

Noelle’s mind raced. “MacDonald? You are Patrick MacDonald’s son?”

He nodded sullenly. He hated being reminded that his father was the Scottish ambassador to the International Confederation of Wizards.

“I understand how you feel,” she muttered under her breath.

He looked at her skeptically. “How could you?”

She smirked. “Because my father is François Lemieux, the French ambassador.”

He looked at her incredulously. “You’re joking!”

She shook her head. “Unfortunately, I am not.”

He laughed. “How old are you?” he asked her.

“I am fifteen. I will be sixteen in July.”

He said, “So, you’ve managed to avoid all the ceremonial balls and dinners this far, right?”

She nodded again. “This year I will not be so lucky.”

He laughed. “Ah, but now, you will know me. And I will have someone to speak with who actually is worth talking to.”

She laughed. “This is true.”

He took a bite out of his sandwich. Chewing thoughtfully, he turned to her again.

“Why are you here? I would think you would go to Beauxbatons, right?”

Clouds darkened her eyes. “My father is in America with my mother. He is assisting the new American Minister to get settled in office. They attended an American Muggle college together.”

“Your father attended a Muggle college?” he said incredulously.

She nodded and swallowed the mouthful of sandwich. “He felt that he would serve France better with a more…” she searched her brain for the correct term, “well rounded education.”

Colin nodded with understanding. “It does make sense. But that doesn’t answer my question. Why are you here? Couldn’t you have stayed at Beauxbatons while they went to America?”

Noelle nervously twisted her napkin. He was asking questions that she did not want to answer, even if she could have.

“My parents thought that I also would benefit by attending school in another country. So I can improve my English.”

There. That should satisfy him. Thankfully, it did. He nodded with approval.

“Well, if you ever need help, you know, with your English, just ask.”

She raised her eyebrows at him, and a small smile played around her lips.

“I am thinking if we were to study together, we would get little work done.” She said flirtatiously.

Colin roared with laughter. When he was finally able to breathe, he answered.

“You’re probably right.”

Then suddenly he lifted his hand to her face, and brushed a few loose strands away from her eyes.

“You have the most beautiful eyes I have ever seen...” his voice trailed off.

She blushed a deep red. His brogue made her knees weak.

“Merci...thank you.”

She looked deep into his cerulean eyes and found herself getting lost. His hand rested on her cheek.

“Ahem.” Severus cleared his throat loudly.

Noelle and Colin jerked away from each other. Quickly Noelle grabbed a glass of water and took a sip. She had completely forgotten that she and Colin were not alone. She struck up a conversation with Severus, and Colin began talking to another Slytherin about Quidditch. Still, she could feel the attraction between herself and the handsome Slytherin. She met his glance and he widely smiled. She smiled back and quickly looked back to Severus.