Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Throughout Time Year 5-New Beginnings by SashaBT245

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Across the lawn from another picnic spot, Lily warily eyes the group of Slytherins. Colin was handsome, but he had a following of girls from all the houses. He could take any of them out, and he often did.

Oh, Noelle, what are you getting yourself into, Lily thought anxiously.

Her thoughts were interrupted by Sirius’ arrival. He dropped his bag next to Lily and plunked down onto the grass. He stretched his long limbs out in front of himself and sighed heavily.

“Exam go well?” James asked.

“Yeah, I think so.” Sirius replied, surprised that James was speaking to him.

James reached over and punched him lightly on the shoulder. “No hard feelings about the game, mate. Win some, lose some, eh?”

“Thanks man, that means a lot to me.”

Sirius reached for a sandwich and scanned the group for Noelle. He wanted to apologize to her for how he had spoken to her on Saturday. He didn’t see her. She probably would have been sitting with Lily anyway. Just then he heard a soft tinkle of laughter float across the grounds. It was Noelle’s laugh, he would know it anywhere.

Instinctively, he turned towards it.

“No, Sirius, wait...” Lily tried to stop him from turning.

It was too late. He saw her sitting with the Slytherins, with Colin MacDonald none the less. And she looked happy! Happier than he had seen her look in a long time.

Jealously crawled over his body. He felt like walking over there and punching Colin in the face. Lily laid a hand on his arm, and gave him a warning look. Sirius turned back to the group of Slytherins. Colin’s hand rested on Noelle’s cheek and she was looking at him in the way she had always looked at Sirius. He turned to Lily. She read the question in his eyes.

“You told her you didn’t care about her. You told her to go away. So she did.” Lily replied softly.

He understood, but he didn’t like it. He wanted things to go back to the way they used to be. He wanted to be the one caressing her cheek, making her laugh. He wanted her to look at him like he was ten feet tall.

He shook his head to clear it. You need to get over her, now, he scolded himself. He let his eyes wander over the grounds where the students were enjoying the early afternoon sunshine. No one in any other House appealed to him the way Noelle did. No other girl had the quiet grace and dignity that she possessed. Noelle was beautiful, but she had no idea that she was absolutely breathtaking. There were other pretty girls at Hogwarts, but none had the otherworldly glow that she did.

There had to be someone! Ah! His eyes fell on Laura Armstrong. Laura was a tall lanky brunette from Hufflepuff House. She was beautiful, yes, but also very vapid and clueless. He had often made fun of her with James when she had been particularly stupid in class. He also knew that she had a crush on him. Well, no time like the present to get over Noelle!, he thought to himself.

He focused his eyes on her until she felt his gaze. When her eyes met his, he winked at her. She quickly looked around, as if to reassure herself that Sirius Black was indeed winking at her. He caught her eye and winked again. Her jaw dropped in awe. God she was dumb, he though. He smiled at her nonetheless. She smiled back. This was easy!

A resounding bell echoed across the lawns, beckoning the students back to their exams. He stood and brushed the grass off his robes. Slinging his bag over his shoulder, he casually sauntered over to Laura. A few of her friends began whispering furiously behind their hands, and she turned to pretend she didn’t see him coming.

“Laura?”

She turned and feigned surprise. “Oh, hi.”

He rolled his eyes inwardly. “Can I carry your bag?”

“Oh, well, yes! Thank you!” she chirped.

He grit his teeth to stop himself from making a nasty comment. Her voice was similar to high pitched squeals, where Noelle’s voice was smooth, like honey. Stop it! He yelled at himself. He reached for her bag and slung it over his other shoulder. She fell in step beside him.

Sirius made like he was adjusting the weight of the bags and stole a glance at where Noelle was walking back to the castle between Severus and Colin. She was staring at him oddly, trying to figure out what he was doing with Laura. She had often heard him making fun of her.

Taking that as a clue, Sirius said,

“Laura, would you like to go to Hogsmeade this weekend?”

He turned on the Black charm full blast. She nodded, speechless.

“Good.”

In the entrance hall, he removed her bag from his shoulder. As Noelle passed them, he took Laura’s hand and kissed it with a flourish. Noelle’s eyes almost popped out of her head. Laura blushed and giggled idiotically.

“Until Saturday, then.” He bowed to her, and pushed through the crowd.

Noelle sat at the first free table she could find, inwardly fuming. Sirius walked by the table, outwardly appearing pleased with himself. He saw the look on Noelle’s face and something in his heart twinged. He kept a self satisfied smile on his face and chose a seat near James.

As the exam papers were handed out, he wondered how on earth he was going to last an entire day in Hogsmeade with Laura Armstrong.

A few seats away, Noelle tried hard to keep her mind on her History of Magic O.W.L. What was going on with Sirius and Laura? He had always professed that the girl was an airhead. She answered a few more questions. How could he kiss Laura’s hand, right in front of her? She let her mind wander. Had she been flirting with Colin just like Sirius had with Laura? No, she told herself.

“Five minutes!” Professor McGonagall’s voice called out.

Five minutes? How long had she dazed? Rapidly, she completed the exam, and put her quill down just as time ran out. She thought she had done well, but there were still five more exams that week. She pushed all thoughts of Sirius out of her head, and rose to leave the Great Hall.

As she was leaving, her mind was wandering to her next exam. She wasn't too worried about it; it was Astronomy. Not paying attention, she walked directly into someone with extremely hard stomach muscles. Her eyes scanned the black robe, the green embroidered Slytherin emblem and the shiny silver Prefect badge, then they locked onto the clear blue eyes of Colin.

Her breath caught in her throat. He was so good-looking that she almost forgot who and where she was. His dark brown hair was tousled and wind blown. He reached a hand out to steady her.

"Are you okay? Oh, man, I didn't mean to knock you over!"

His nervousness made her laugh.

"I am fine, I assure you."

They stood together, neither one talking.

Finally Noelle said, "Did you want something?"

Colin turned red and then responded, "Actually, yes."

He stood straighter, towering over her petite frame. "Could I interest you in a walk before dinner?"

He looked as if he expected her to decline.

"Of course. A walk would be very nice."

He seemed shocked, then quickly came back to himself. He took her bag from her and stowed it in a cubby hole in the entrance hall. Returning to her side, he crooked his elbow.

"Shall we?"

Noelle laughed and laced her hand through his arm. "We shall."

The warm breeze caressed her face. She tucked her hand tighter through Colin’s arm. He glanced down at her. She really was beautiful. Small, but beautiful. He laughed to himself. He was almost 6’3”, so anyone would be small to him. She saw the small smile on his lips.

“What is so funny?” she inquired.

He looked deep into her blue eyes. “Nothing. I was just thinking how this is kind of strange. I mean, I’m a Slytherin, and you’re a Gryffindor...and here we are, out for an afternoon stroll.”

She frowned slightly. “I do not understand all this tension between our houses. At Beauxbatons, we were all just separated according to our year. No rivalry. It was very simple.”

He chuckled. “Well, Slytherins have never gotten along with Gryffindors. I’m sure that your housemates definitely would not approve of you and me hanging out together.”

She tossed her hair over her shoulder. “I do not care what they think.”

She said defiantly. He saw her in a new light. She definitely was not like any other girl he had ever met.

Inside the castle, Sirius was staring out the window.

“Hey, you okay?” James asked.

Sirius snapped out of his trance. He was clenching his fists and his jaw was set. Slowly he relaxed. With another glance out the window, he replied,

“Yeah. I’m fine.”

James sighed. “Padfoot, just go talk to her.”

But Sirius was already shaking his head. “No, I’m over her.”

“Really?” James said skeptically.

“I asked Laura Armstrong to go to Hogsmeade this weekend.”

James looked surprised. “But I thought you said she had the personality of a dish rag.”

Sirius suppressed a laugh. “She’s not that bad.” He lied through his teeth.

James chuckled again. “Nice try, mate.”