Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Throughout Time Year 5-New Beginnings by SashaBT245

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
There were four long tables, with people lining both sides of each. Over each table was a banner, each of a different color, with a different animal. Across the front of the room was yet another long table where all the professors were sitting. A stool was placed in front of the teachers table, and a tattered wizard’s hat was on top of it. McGonagall spoke.

“Before we sort the first years, we have a transfer from Beauxbatons. She will be a fifth year. Noelle Lemieux!”

Noelle jumped when she heard her name. She hurried to the stool and sat. The hat was placed on her head. A little voice echoed in her ear.

“Ah, a transfer...where do you belong? Quite smart, maybe Ravenclaw? Or perhaps Slytherin, I sense some shrewdness. I know! It’ll be GRYFFINDOR!”

The table to her immediate right erupted in cheers. She stood and walked to the table. A girl with long red hair and pretty green eyes patted the bench next to her. Gratefully, Noelle sat.

The girl smiled, “I’m Lily Evans.”

“Noelle Lemieux, enchante.”

The sorting continued. Noelle learned the other three houses were Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff and Slytherin. After the sorting, the headmaster stood.

“Welcome all, new and returning! Dig in!” The plates filled themselves.

“So, you’re from France?” Lily asked between bites.

“Oui, from just outside Paris.”

Down the table, laughter was heard. Noelle glanced down and saw the two boys from the train. She let out an exasperated sigh.

“I cannot believe those two are in my house.”

“Which two?” said Lily, glancing around.

Noelle discreetly pointed.

“Oh, them. They are awful. James is so arrogant; he’s the one in the glasses. And Sirius is just a troublemaker.”

The boy called James caught Noelle looking at him. He nudged Sirius and they both shot hateful glares at her.

“Wow, what was that for?” Lily asked.

“I hexed James on the train. He came into the compartment, and attacked Severus Snape. So I hexed him, and told Sirius to take James and leave."

Lily laughed out loud. “Oh boy, this will be an interesting year.”


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Dumbledore stood, and dismissed the students. Noelle followed Lily out of the Great Hall. She saw Severus as she headed for the stairs. He waved at her and she smiled back. Soon, they reached a portrait of a fat lady in a pink dress.

“Password?” she asked.

“Andromedus.” Lily answered.

The portrait swung open to reveal a hole in the wall. She climbed in after Lily and found herself in a comfortable common room. James and Sirius stepped in front of them.

“All right, Evans?” James politely asked Lily. Without waiting for an answer, he turned to Noelle.

“Since you are new, and didn’t know any better, I’m going to forgive you for your hex earlier. As a Gryffindor, you’ll think twice about defending a Slytherin, especially Snivellus.” He said this as if he were granting her a gift.

Noelle’s jaw dropped. “Non, I do not want your forgiveness.”

James looked shocked, but Noelle was sure she saw a slight smile playing on Sirius’ lips.

“I did what I thought was right. And, I would do it again as well.” She set her chin high, staring him right in the eyes, and not backing down. Still he was speechless. She spun on her heel and swept away, leaving Lily laughing behind her.

“That girl! She infuriates me!” James spat out to Sirius when they both entered the fifth year boys room.

Sirius laughed. “Prongs my friend, she got you good. And in front of Lily too!”

“I know! That was humiliating!”

James stalked around the room, slamming his dresser drawers shut. He kept mumbling to himself. Sirius shook his head, inwardly laughing. He was thinking of the confrontation earlier too, only he was thinking of Noelle’s navy blue eyes.

Over in the girls' room, Noelle too was raging about James.

“Who does he think he is?” she demanded, her accent was thicker than before.

Lily laughed. “He’s James Potter, Quidditch champion. Don’t worry, he’s an arrogant git. He asks me out at least once a week, but I always turn him down. I can’t stand him.”

Lily grabbed her new friend’s hand. “Don’t think on it. Besides, I think Sirius likes you.”

Noelle looked appalled. “No, thank you. I think they are both awful.”

She ran a brush through her long dark blonde hair. “I am going to bed. Good night Lily, thank you for everything.”

Noelle climbed into her bed, and pulled the curtains shut. What an awful first day. I’ve already made enemies, and in my own house! She rolled over, swallowing back a sob. Tears poured down her cheeks. How she wished she was in the Palace of Beauxbatons, with her real friends. Her tears lulled her to sleep.

On the other side of the curtains, Lily heard her crying, but she didn’t know how to help. Hopefully, the morning will bring answers, she thought as she drifted off to sleep.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


The next morning dawned sunny and warm. Lily rose to find Noelle’s bed empty. She quickly finished dressing, and hurried down to breakfast. She spotted Noelle leaving the owlery.

“Are you okay? Did you sleep well?” Lily fired questions at her.

“Oui, I am fine. Just a little homesick, you know?” Noelle smiled weakly.

After a searching glance, Lily was satisfied that Noelle was okay.

The two girls walked down to breakfast. At the Gryffindor table, James and Sirius were already eating. James looked up and threw a hateful glance at Noelle and she shot him one right back. Lily steered her to another open spot. Better to keep these two as far apart as necessary.

After they sat and chose their breakfast, Professor McGonagall walked along the table, passing out schedules.

“Miss Lemieux!”

Noelle raised her hand. “Here is your schedule. I have also assigned a student to serve as your guide for the first few days. This student also speaks French quite well, so do not hesitate to ask for translation.”

Noelle glanced at Lily expectantly. Lily shook her head.

“Mr. Black!” McGonagall called along the table.

Oh no...Noelle thought. Sirius Black stood and walked to where the girls were sitting.

“Sirius Black, meet Noelle Lemieux. You will assist her in whatever way she needs for the next few days.”

Sirius nodded. McGonagall walked away with the rest of the schedules. Noelle bowed her head and continued to read her schedule.

“Ahem.” Sirius cleared his throat, still standing behind her.

“Oui?” “Nous avons notre premiere classe en dix minutes.” (We have our first class in ten minutes)

Noelle’s jaw dropped. He spoke French beautifully. When she had recovered, she simply replied,

“D’accord. On y va.” (Very well. Let’s go) She rose and followed him out of the hall.

They walked together in silence. Noelle couldn’t believe her bad luck. At least it wasn’t James, she thought ruefully. Sirius stole a glance at her. Her head was down, and a few strands of blonde hair had come loose from her braid. She was chewing on her bottom lip, and her blue eyes looked clouded with tears.

“Noelle?”

She looked up sharply.

“Class is this way.”

She stared blankly down the hall. All she had to do was go through the door. It would get easier every time.

She took a deep breath and nodded. Then she ran a hand over her face.

“Quelle classe est ceci?” (What class is this?)

“Potions, with the Slytherins.”

Her face brightened. Hadn’t James said Severus was a Slytherin? Maybe he was in this class. When she entered ahead of Sirius, her eyes immediately found him. He stood and waved her over. She hurried to his side.

“How are you?” he asked, looking genuinely concerned.

“Eh, pas mal.”

He looked at her blankly.

“Sorry, I am not bad.” She paused. “Non, that is not true. I am awful.”

He nodded gravely. “You can sit here, with Lucius and I if you want.” He said, gesturing to an empty seat next to a pale blonde boy.

She looked grateful, and sank into the seat between them. Professor Valenti entered the classroom. He shot an odd look at the table where a Gryffindor sat willingly between two Slytherins. Then he shook his head, and began his lesson.

Over on the other side of the dungeon, whispers flew. What was she, one of theirs, doing sitting with two of the most hated Slytherins? James leaned over to Sirius and whispered loudly,

“Bet you’re not so enamored of her now, eh?”

Sirius laughed it off, but inside he was deeply hurt. For some reason, Noelle affected him like no other girl had. There was something about her, something he couldn’t describe.

He snuck a peek over at her. She was mixing her potion, talking happily with Snape and Malfoy. Something she said made them both roar with laughter. She hadn’t looked that happy with him. James nudged him again.

“What?” Sirius snapped.

James looked shocked. “Sorry mate.”

“No Prongs, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean it like that.”

James relaxed. “Are you all right? You looked pretty pissed.”

Sirius shook his head. “I am. She didn’t even thank me for bringing her to class.”

“Padfoot, she’s, well, I won’t even say it. But it seems to me someone was sorted into the wrong house!” He said the last part loud enough to be heard.

Lily spun in her seat. “James Potter, just because someone doesn’t fall for your supposed charm does not make them a, well, a you“know-what!”

On the other side of the room, Noelle heard the remarks. She looked up, knowing they were talking about her. She stood, clenching her fingers around her wand. What are you going to do? Hex him? Hex everyone who talks about you? She shook her head wildly to clear the voices, and slammed her eyes shut to dam the tears. Still they leaked out. She turned, and quickly fled the classroom.