Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Throughout Time Year 5-New Beginnings by SashaBT245

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Without thinking, Sirius jumped up and ran after her. He caught up with her on the lawn leading down to the lake.

“Noelle! Arrêt!” (Stop!) He called out.

“Je ne te veux pas ici!” (I don’t want you here!) She yelled over her shoulder.

“Well, like it or not, here I am! You can’t run forever!” he panted.

“Non, but perhaps I can run further than you!” she yelled back.

Sirius laughed. She looked confused for a second, and then she smiled a little.

“That’s better. Are you okay?” he asked, still trying to catch his breath.

A sob caught in her throat and she shook her head. “Non. I want to go home. Everyone here does not like me. I am too different.”

She reached up and wiped the tears off her cheeks with the sleeve of her robes. She looked like a small child, with her hair stuck to her face with tears. He stared at her, overwhelmed by the emotion he felt. He moved closer, and reached out his hand. She eyed it warily, and then took it.

“Give us a chance to get to know you. We’ve all been together for four years now. It will take a little time.”

Slowly, she nodded.

“Good. Come on, we’re going to be late for Transfiguration.”

He led her back to the castle. Along the way, he snuck glances at her. Even with her face stained with tears, she was breathtaking. She was so small and delicate; he wanted to protect her from anything that threatened to hurt her. With her free hand, she pushed her hair off her face and straightened her robes. At the entrance to the castle, he released her hand, marveling at how natural it felt to hold hers.

James and another boy were waiting in the entrance hall. Sirius shot a warning look to James not to say anything. To his credit, he didn’t.

“Noelle, this is Remus Lupin.”

Noelle shook his hand. James held out a dark blue leather bag, with the Beauxbatons emblem embroidered in gold. Gratefully, Noelle reached for it.

“Merci, James.”

James looked baffled.

“It means thank you.” Sirius muttered under his breath.

"Oh, well, you're welcome." James stated, and Noelle offered him a weak smile.

Sirius waited for Noelle to adjust the bag on her shoulder, and walked to class alongside her. At the door, Lily was waiting.

“You all right?”

Noelle nodded and followed her into the room. This class, she chose a seat next to Lily.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


As the first few days melted together, Noelle began to feel more at home. Classes were more or less the same, except for the language of course. She began to get used to the castle, knowing which staircases would trip her, and what hallways to avoid because of Filch, the ornery janitor. Noelle still missed her friends from Beauxbatons. Lily was her constant companion, and she even grew used to the boys. James never ceased to try to impress Lily, but Sirius remained an enigma to Noelle. True, he kept his word and helped her in her first few weeks, but he never held her hand again. She pushed the memory out of her mind. She couldn't think of such things.

Besides, the boys still were upset, no make that angry that she continued her friendship with Severus and some other Slytherins. She made no excuses; they were her friends. They never made her feel sad, and they were always very nice to her. For the most part, things had settled into a comfortable routine. Then Quidditch season approached.

James and Sirius both played on the Gryffindor team as Chasers. Noelle loved Quidditch, and often talked to Sirius about different strategies. One night, after a particularly in depth conversation about the finer points of the game, Sirius flat out asked her,

"Noelle? Why don't you try out? We need a new Seeker, and you're the perfect size..."

But Noelle was already shaking her head. "I cannot."

"But why? You love the game." Sirius persisted.

Noelle was shaking her head vehemently. "It is not possible, Sirius. Let it be."

Ouickly she stood. "Good night."

Noelle hurried up the stairs as if she was being chased. At the door to her room, she paused, with her hand over her heart. Her heart was beating so fast, she was having trouble catching her breath. She felt the wheezing begin, and a bout of coughs exploded from her mouth. She bent over and covered her mouth, trying to stifle them.

She was too late; Lily flung the door open.

"Noelle!" she cried, "What happened?"

Noelle struggled to speak through the coughs. Finally she was able to catch her breath.

"Dust....in the hallway....it made me cough." Noelle lied with a raspy voice.

"Oh, that happens to me all the time too, I have allergies." Lily said, helping Noelle into the room and handing her a glass of water.

Slowly, Noelle took a small sip, feeling the cool liquid slide down her throat and sooth the raw patches.

"Merci, Lily." Noelle glanced at the clock. "It is late. I think I will go to bed."

She pulled the curtains back and bade her roommates good night.