Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Throughout Time Year 5-New Beginnings by SashaBT245

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
She thundered down the stairs, almost losing her footing a few times. In the hallway, she glanced both ways before rushing down to her room. Thankfully, it was empty. She shoved the door to her bedroom open, grateful to see that Lily wasn't there. She collapsed on her bed in a hail of tears, clutching her face in her hands.

What had she done? She heard the latch on the door click open, and Lily entered the room, humming to herself.

"You know, James isn't that bad one on one." The words died on Lily's lips.

She sank to her knees in front of her friend. "What happened?"

"Oh, Lily..." Noelle buried her face in Lily's shoulder. "I don't know what to do."

"Tell me...How can I help?" Lily pleaded with her.

Noelle focused her bloodshot eyes on Lily. "I kissed him."

Lily squealed. "But that's wonderful!"

Noelle shook her head; she was becoming hysterical. "You don't understand. I'm not supposed to..." she abruptly shut her mouth.

"Not supposed to what?" Lily asked. Noelle shook her head again, the tears beginning fresh.

"Please, do not make me." She rose and rushed to the bathroom.

She ran the cold water and splashed her face. How could she have let this happen? She collapsed on the floor and cried. Hours later, she finally picked herself up. Pushing the door open a crack, she saw that Lily was fast asleep. The only thing she could think of was that she needed to get out.

Quietly, she threw her clothes into her trunk. Somehow she managed to get it into the parlor without waking anyone. She crept over to the fireplace, where the embers of the night's fire smoldered. Spotting the pot on the mantle, she grabbed a handful of the glittering green powder. She flung it onto the ashes, and said as quietly as she could,

"La Maison de Lilas, Paris, France!"

The emerald flames danced above her head. She stepped in them, and disappeared.

She spun for ages. When she finally stopped, she found herself on the floor of her family's kitchen. She breathed a sigh of relief. A stout woman turned the corner and gave a start when she saw Noelle.

"Mademoiselle Noelle! Quelle surprise!"

Noelle smiled weakly. "I'm sorry for scaring you, Marie, I just..." her voice died.

"I understand. Come." She motioned Noelle into her embrace. "There, there, Shh. It is not as bad as all that." She rubbed Noelle's back. "It is late. Let's get you to bed."

Noelle nodded, and allowed herself to be led to her room.

Within minutes of entering her bedroom, Noelle felt better. The pictures on the wall were waving and smiling at her. She slowly made her way around the room, taking in all her memories. On the wall above her bed was her very favorite picture. Between her two best friends, Nicolette and Marie-Lise, Noelle mugged for the camera while Phillipe and Antoine stood to the side, laughing at the girls.

Below the picture hung a framed certificate.

This commendation is hereby presented to Noelle Francoise Lemieux, for extreme proficiency in Advanced Transfiguration.

She grimaced; she had never liked her middle name. She recalled the day she had won the award, beating out 6th and 7th years in Beauxbatons annual skills showcase. She missed her old friends so much it was a physical ache. She dropped onto her bed and before she knew it, she was asleep.

She was awakened by an incessant pecking at her window. Rising, she saw her father's eagle owl on the sill. Swallowing nervously, she let the owl in and took the parchment tied to it's leg. She scanned the note:

Noelle,

I don't know what gave you the idea that you could return to the house. This is unacceptable. Monsieur Bardot will arrive at noon to escort you back to Hogwarts. No exceptions.

Papa

She sank back onto her bed. He didn't understand. She couldn't return to Hogwarts. Not after kissing Sirius. She had broken every rule set forth for her. Starting to panic, she felt the wheezing in her chest. The coughs came immediately after. Marie rushed in. Noelle waved her away, still coughing.

"I am fine." She croaked out.

Taking the glass of water Marie held out, she took a small sip, the cool water soothing her throat.

Marie began to run a bath for her. She slowly dropped her cloak, which was dusty from her travels the night before. She sank into the warm water. The coughs worried her. She hadn't had a fit like that since earlier that semester. Methodically she ran the washcloth over her body. She didn't want to think of her illness.

After a long soak, she emerged with pink skin. Wrapped in a large towel, she went to her wardrobe. She was so tired of the dreary black of the Hogwarts robes. She longed for color. She selected a set in deep plum. Pulling them over her head, she studied her reflection. She automatically wound her hair into its usual braid, pinning it to the back of her head. Her face showed her devastation. How could she face them? She had fled without telling anyone, even Lily. A knock at her door shook her from her worries. M. Bardot had arrived.

She knew her father's assistant well. He gave her a small smile.

"Alors, shall we go?"

Without a word, she nodded. "Bon. D'accord."

He took her trunk and stepped into the green flames. She followed him with a heavy heart.

They emerged at the Three Broomsticks in Hogsmeade. Hagrid sat at the bar.

"Noelle! Good to see you!" he clapped his hand over her shoulder, nearly knocking her over.

M. Bardot bowed to her slightly and apparated back to Paris. Hagrid heaved her trunk to his back and went outside. He tossed her trunk onto the back of the carriage that was waiting. She climbed in and he sat across from her. She stared out the window silently.

"Dumbledore will be wanting to see you." Hagrid said to her when they were almost at the entrance.

She tugged her navy velvet cloak tighter around her body and nodded.

Dumbledore was waiting in the entrance hall. He smiled at her, and gestured to the staircase. She walked side by side with him until they reached his office. Once inside, he pointed to a chair. She sat, and he settled behind his desk.

"I am glad to see you have arrived safely. We were worried about you. Is anything bothering you?"

She stared at him blankly. Was he serious? What a loaded question. Did he really intend for her to answer?

"Let me rephrase. How is your health?"

She swallowed. "I am well."

Her voice was still hoarse from coughing earlier.

"Your heart is well? And your lungs?" he questioned.

"They are all fine." No, her heart wasn't well. It was breaking.

"Noelle, I am not your enemy." He looked at her kindly.

She nodded. "I know."

He stared at her intently. "Very well. Off you go."

She jumped up and scurried from his office.

As she flew through the corridors, she heard familiar voices. Severus and Lucius were heading towards her. Severus waved.

"What are you doing here? I thought you were going to Potters. What happened?" he fired questions at her.

"I wanted to leave."

He studied her face, and she smiled encouragingly.

"Well, we're going to play chess. Would you like to come and watch?"

"Yes, I would like that." She fell into step between the two boys.

At the entrance to Slytherin house, Severus whispered the password so she couldn't hear it, then allowed her to enter first. She settled comfortably into a wide chair by the fire. She watched them play until she drifted off to sleep.