Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Studying Isn't Everything by smokeline

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A/N: From Harry's view, Hermione is often concieved as a simple bookworm, except for the occasional moments when he notices her wicked streak (such as with the Rita Skeeter fiasco). These moments show that perhaps he shouldn't judge her by the covers of the enormously large books she reads. In this fic, Hermione could be considered OOC to some, but I tried to keep her character within what JKR has given us.

Studying Isn’t Everything


Thursday, November 13, 1997

Dinner

What the hell! Why did I get chosen to have the perfectly horrid life? Today was especially awful, and that’s saying something. I mean, I’m used to everyone being all stereotypical and shallow and shit, but this is ridiculous! Just because I get O’s in all my classes does NOT in any way mean that I am a boring stuffy prude with a stick halfway up my arse! Who do these people think they are?

It started at the beginning of the day, when my “time of the month” came COMPLETELY unexpectedly during charms. I had to ask Professor Flitwick to be excused so I could go deal with it. And I missed the information on Disillusionment Charms! Which means that I now have to get my notes from Harry or Ron, and Merlin knows what chance I’ll have of them being remotely thorough or legible! And to top it off, now I’ve got cramps. BAD ones. And Madam Pomfrey’s out of the potion that helps the little problems associated with visits from Mother Nature. Damn Snape. Too much of a sissy guy to make any more. He so does NOT understand our pain.

Oh, but it gets worse. You know how I’ve had a crush on Ron since about third year, right? Of course you do. I only tell you twelve times a day. And now I’m talking to my diary. Perhaps I’ve gone mental. Anyway, I overheard Ron talking to Harry, and I found out he’s got a new crush. Apparently she’s really pretty and sweet and funny. How the hell can I compete with that? At least I sort of had a chance when he had no one else to fawn over...but I suppose it was always rather pointless. He is extremely hot, with his copper-colored hair all shaggy and in his eyes--which are a striking blue--and that whole five o’ clock shadow thing. And we can’t forget that very nice six pack that I accidentally saw when I walked in on him lifting weights (which has helped him fill out his tall frame rather nicely). Yummy. But seriously, why would a God like that want to be with someone who always has her nose in a book, has little to no social skills, and has the curves of a ten year old?

Later

Apparently I’m not a girl anymore. How wonderful!

Lavender and Parvati were handing out invitations to a huge girls-only sleepover on Saturday night the 29th. Apparently they wanted a chance to 'celebrate the unity of the differnt forms,' but it was pretty obvious they just wanted an exuse to have punch to spike.

They dropped one of the invitations, and it happened to find its way into my History of Magic book as I was reading it tonight (I still don’t understand why everyone assumes that just because I have a book open, I’m studying. I suppose it’s sort of nice sometimes, as it keeps them from bothering me). The invitation said the party was for all of the Gryffindor girls third-year and above. Am I a third-year or higher? Yes, I have been for FOUR YEARS now. Am I a girl? These damn cramps are proving that very question as we speak. But did I get an invitation? No.

No fun and partying for Hermione. She’s much too stuffy and boring to enjoy it. After all, the Head Girl would NEVER want to do ANYTHING that might break the teeniest curfews, or any slight drinking age requirement. And she doesn’t care at all that EVERYONE else is going to be having fun in the Room of Requirement partying until dawn while she STUDIES. Merlin, I hate those bitches. They think that just because I am too lazy to put on makeup every day, or attempt the battle of straightening my hair every once in a while, that I don’t know how to have fun.

I better stop writing now, or I’ll start to scratch a hole in the parchment. Or even worse, they may start to think that I’m working on some extra credit project, thus making me even MORE geeky than I already am. Now all I have to do is join the band.

TO DO

1. Finish copying down the notes from Charms (at least, everything that is decipherable).

2. Discuss the importance of good handwriting with Harry.

3. Find a way to suck up to the bitches and get an invitation to the party.

4. Brew some of that damn cramp potion.

5. Act very sexy (HA!) and win over Ron’s heart.

~~~~~

Friday, November 14, 1997

Potions

YES! I am actually having a good potions class. That has not happened in a very long while.

Professor Snape was talking about the properties of the Polyjuice Potion, and since I already know all of that from when I made it in second year, I didn’t have to concentrate as much. My eyes were free to wander towards a certain someone...and guess what? HE WAS STARING BACK AT ME! When I glanced over at Ron, he turned his head away very quickly, which makes it twice as obvious that he was looking at me. But why? Could he possibly fancy me? Please, pinch me now!

Later, in Potions

Aha. That would be why he was looking at me. You know, a lot of people stare at you, including the object of your unrequited affection, when you have an ENORMOUS amount of porridge stuck in your teeth from breakfast that morning. Lovely. Now he’s going to think that I’m a disgusting slob. This is just great.

You know, I think that Snape can sense when other people are in pain and then he likes to torture them. For example, the way he forces every female in Hogwarts to brew their own damn cramp potion. He is the potions teacher, after all. And now, he’s decided to partner me with Ron for class. Which wouldn’t actually be so bad, if I were not assigned as his TUTOR! Seriously, how am I going to be able to prove my sexiness to Ron when I am his bloody know-it-all TUTOR? Merlin, I hate that bastard Snape.

And I heard Ron talking to Harry again. (When will they ever learn that their voices carry?) He mentioned the girl again, and I heard something about Ravenclaw. Maybe he does kind of like the whole smart thing. But seeing as I’ve been smart the whole seven years he’s known me, and he still doesn’t like me, that probably doesn’t really help me much.

TO DO:

1. Stop nagging Ron to do his homework. It just irritates him.

2. Refrain from raising my hand instantly for every single question. (Even if he does like smart girls for some odd reason, I admit that it is a bit much. It probably intimidates him.)

3. Find out the identity of this girl that he likes and spread some bad rumors about her.

4. Write a lesson plan for our tutor session later. What fun that will be.

5. Get one of those damn invitations.

Transfiguration

Ugh. Does McGonagall not understand that we have lives? (Well, maybe I don’t, but the students in general do.) Now I’ve got to do about two hours worth of Transfiguration, my own potions homework, and helping Ron with his homework at our tutoring session! Merlin, it’s no wonder that I wasn’t invited to that sleepover. I have absolutely no time whatsoever for anything resembling fun (though I suppose it won’t be too bad stuck in an empty classroom with Ron for several hours).

After Dinner, The Dungeons

“So, ‘Mione““ Yay! He called me ‘Mione! “--What are we going to work on?”

“Um, I suppose we should work on the Polyjuice Potion.”

“Er, I guess you’re right. So, what do I do first again?”

“Ron! You helped me make a batch in second year!” Figures. I made him feel inferior already. Why can’t my stupid mouth just stay shut sometimes?

“In my defense, that was a long time ago! And all I remember is that it turned me into Crabbe. That was not a good reason for me to take a mental note of how to recreate it.”

I couldn’t help but laugh. See, he has such a good sense of humor!

“At least you remember what it does. That’s a good start. Speaking of which, we should probably get a move on before we end up having to stay here until midnight. The first thing you do is add the lacewing flies because they have to brew for 21 days.”

“Okay. I can do that,” he said while starting to add the flies. “You know, ‘Mione--“ He did it again! “--I’m glad that if I have to have a tutor, it’s you. I would be so bored with someone like Malfoy.” He said that name with a shudder. But yay! He said he was glad I was his tutor! It made me extremely happy. Until he kept talking.

“I’m really glad that Snape actually picked one of my friends to help me,”

“Yeah. Me too,” I said stupidly. DUH! Of course he was happy to have one of his friends tutor him. He was NOT glad because he was in love with me and wanted me to tutor him in very kinky study areas. Stupid me.

Why Ron Doesn’t Deserve Me:

1. He’s gorgeous.

2. I am not.

3. He’s funny.

4. I am not.

5. I’m a know-it-all bookworm who has to tutor him and can’t even get an invitation to a stupid slumber party.

And now I’m off to go do more homework. What fun (NOT!). But I can’t help it. I’m an overachiever by nature. It’s going to be a long night....