Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Studying Isn't Everything by smokeline

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

And So it Begins...


~~~~~


Thursday, November 27, 1997


Arithmancy


Bored, bored and more bored. I will probably be considered insane for the upcoming confession, and I would be forced to agree. But still.


Anyway, the thing is, I’m getting terribly bored of school. Not because I’m sick of the routine or the people here. Not because I need a break from the work. Not because I’m ready to scream from stress. But because of the extreme LACK of work. I know, it’s very odd. But our teachers have decided to give us a small break from schoolwork for the moment. Which wouldn’t be all bad, but the break is during the classes. That’s right, our teachers can’t get their lazy arses in gear to come up with a couple of measly lesson plans. So we usually end up with a half hour free at the end of class. Like right now for example. The catch is that we have to stay in the classroom. Every day. Four or five times. Doing nothing. There is only so much amusement one can get from get from a single paper clip! I swear, I am about to crack from boredom. It really is ridiculous.


And the work that we do at the beginning of class has gotten easier too. I wouldn’t mind the break from thinking so much if we actually did some in the first place. Harry and Ron aren’t even in this class, and when we do have the same one, they never end up being placed next to me in . So it’s not as though I can talk to my friends. And I’ve already read most of the good books in the library. It’s getting harder and harder to find a decent new one. I think I should send out for more from Mum and Dad.


And now I’ve just reread that. This is why I’m considered so uncool, isn’t it?


~~~~~


Friday, November 28, 1997


Lunch


I’m starting to panic just a little bit now. I wasn’t worried about this party tomorrow, but after talking to Ginny, I’m getting a little nervous.


So, what is this thing they call “Truth or Dare?” I’m going to have to sit there and tell them personal things about my life or end up doing something extremely stupid and embarrassing? Remind me why I decided to go to this thing in the first place. Oh yes, to see if they notice I’m there and to get a little dirt on Parvati. I must just remember the ultimate goal: Parvati’s eventual humiliation.


Oh, and guess what? The Extendable Ears came from Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes! I suppose if worse comes to worst, I can always just hide somewhere and listen to everything without having to participate.


Okay, I’m calm now. At least, that’s what I keep telling myself.


Dinner


You know, I’ve just noticed that Ron has been acting a little colder to Harry and me than usual. We gave up the flirting after that night in the library, so I don’t know what’s up.


“Ron?”


“Yes?” he said icily.


“Um, I was wondering, are you mad at me and Harry for something? You’ve been acting a little weird the past few days.”


“No, I’m fine. And so are you and Harry. We’re all fine.”


Um...okay. That was odd.


“Hey, Hermione?”


“Yeah?”


“Are you and Harry going out?”


“What?” That question threw me off a bit.


“Are you and Harry dating?”


“Of course not, what gave you that idea?” I decided to give up on making him jealous. If his coldness since the initiation of my little plan was any indication, he seemed to already be jealous anyway. I suppose it might have actually worked....


“I dunno. You two just seemed a little closer in Herbology on Wednesday, and I was curious.” He almost sounded relived as he said this. Hurrah! He’s glad I’m not dating Harry! We’re just going to pretend that it’s because he wants to be the one to date me, not that it would be weird to have his two best friends dating.


“No. There is absolutely nothing going on between me and Harry. He has a girlfriend, remember?” I reminded him.


“Yes. By the way, who is it? I know you know.”


“I can’t tell you. Not yet.”


He almost looked hurt.


“Why not?” he asked“with the puppy dog eyes, no less.


“Don’t give me that look. I just think that you’d only be mad at him because she’s not the best person to date.”


“I’m already mad at him for not telling me. I don’t imagine that this would make it any worse.”


“Fine. But you must promise not to tell anyone, not even Harry.”


“So...?”


“It’s Parvati Patil.”


“WHAT?”


“That’s what I said.”


“But that’s ridiculous! I mean sure, she’s sort of pretty, but she’s way too prissy and she’s a complete idiot who thinks Trelawny is right! Besides, she’s probably dating two other guys at the same time! What is he, stupid?”


“That’s what I said.”


“We’ve got to do something...wait a minute,” he added, breaking out of his little rant. “How did you find out about them in the first place?”


“That’s not important. The important thing is that I’ve got a plan...”


“Good. When you’ve got a plan, it always works.”


I love it when he says things like that.


~~~~~


Saturday, November 29, 1997


Lunch


Okay, starting to hyperventilate. Breathe Hermione, breathe.


I do NOT do well in social situations. What I’m about to do is just starting to hit me. Gah! I must calm down so Ginny can help me get ready for the party tonight. I’m off to attempt to look blend-in-able. Good luck to me. I’ll need it.


Later, the Dreaded Party


And so it begins...*deep breath* I’m okay...this isn’t so bad...all of the girls are just standing around talking. Parvati made a deal with the teachers to close off the common room to anyone who wasn’t coming, so we haven’t been interrupted by anyone who wasn’t supposed to be here (besides me).


A few girls have approached me to talk, even some that I don’t know. I’m glad I look approachable, but I don’t like talking to people that I’m not already friends with. Which is slightly contradictory, as I always complain about how I wish I had more friends and would fit in better. Which then contradicts not caring what people think of me. Which then contradicts my fear of coming off insane to new people. Which I usually do. Like now, for example.


Thank Merlin Ginny has been standing here the whole time instead of talking to her friends from sixth year. She has many. But she’s being nice and helping me feel a little more comfortable. Probably because she knows that I will chicken out and leave if she doesn’t.


Later Still


We’ve just played “Truth or Dare.” I must say, I absolutely despise the game. If anyone had picked me, I would have probably put my wand to my head. Honestly, they ask the most ridiculous questions, such as, “So, who’s the guy that you fancy?” I mean, who would want to tell the whole of Gryffindor house who they have a crush on? I would die if they all knew I was in love with Ron. The teasing would never end! And they’ve promised that we’ll play it again later, so we can do some Dares. No one picked it this time. I’m screwed.


Even Later


“So, Parvati, you’re dating Harry?” I heard from across the room where I was standing and pretending I was having fun. This was it! I surreptitiously moved a little closer to them, positioning myself behind a nearby plant.


“Yep,” she answered with a giggle. I hate giggles. They are so annoying.


“So, what’s it like?” asked her ditzy friend, who couldn’t seem to say anything unless it began with the word ‘so.’


“Well...”


TO DO:


1. Continue listening to this conversation...which I will have to write about in the next installment so I can pay full attention now.


2. Make sure to tell Harry what happens.


3. Piss him off by telling Ron first.


4. Find Ginny after I get my information to tell her I am leaving this pathetic excuse for fun.


5. Attempt to get rid of the inferiority complex of mine that became extremely obvious tonight. (Ha! Like that will ever happen.)


~~~~~