Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

All's Well That Ends Well? by Shock

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A/N: A little break from the events in the forest. A story told mainly by none other than Peter Pettigrew’s P.O.V. I’m telling you, it was quite a change from writing in Lily’s P.O.V. all the time.

It was nine o’clock in the evening, a little late for mousy round Peter Pettigrew to be scurrying along the corridors and hallways. He had been scuttling through the many chambers and passages of Hogwarts for some time now. The torches lining the stone walls made his exaggerated shadow dance weirdly on the cold floor. His watery eyes darted to and fro, as if searching for something. His breathing came in small rasps as his adrenaline continued to pump furiously. He quickened his pace, desperate. He turned sharply on the corner then stopped abruptly. His heart skipped with delight.

He had found her.

He quickly retreated into the shadows to hide himself. He peered out from the depths of the blackness and across the hall, which was illuminated by the gold glow the numerous torches had flung across it.

Bellatrix Black was standing at a tall arched window, gazing outside at the Quidditch pitch. Her glossy dark hair looked magnificent in the gold glow of the lights. She continued to stare outside, never blinking, never moving. Her chest was rising and falling steadily. She tightened her clench on her wand. There was a twisted look of hunger and fury on her pale face.

God, she’s beautiful.

He couldn’t take his eyes off of her. His mind couldn’t ever be filled enough with the sight of Bellatrix. His eyes scanned her from the top of her dark-haired head, to her pale long-fingered hands resting on the black-framed windowsill, to the very hem of her neatly pressed black robes. He gulped.

As Peter continued to ogle at Bellatrix, he thought of what he would give to make her see him as an attractive, tall, dark, and handsome man. A man of riches; a man of endless power - everything and anything except for what he really was. Everything and anything but ugly, small, squat, stupid, forlorn Peter Pettigrew.

“Besides,” Peter thought with a sad smirk as he sunk deeper into the shadows, “Even if I were all that, there would still be the others, especially Sirius.”

Suddenly, a seed of anger, not at all unfamiliar, sprouted in his heart.

“Why are they so prejudiced against Bella anyways?

He cast another glance at Bellatrix, who was still completely absorbed with the view outside.

“So she’s in Slytherin, so what? It’s good to be a little ambitious and assertive! Well, she can be a little too assertive, like when she attacked Lily and James on the train…but that’s just because Lily is too nice and stupid to fight back! Too weak for her own good…”

Peter shook his head and gave a small frustrated huff.

“Besides, Bella has a charm no other girl can ever match. She knows things.”

He smiled to himself. He continued to gaze upon Bellatrix’s glossy hazel hair glistening in the dancing flames. He thought back to the day it had happened, the day he had fallen in love with Bellatrix Black…

Fifth year

“Hurry up, Peter!”

“Come on now, Wormtail!”

“Hurry it up before I start sprouting roots and mineralizing myself with the healthy soils of our dear and beloved Hogwarts, which by the way, has smelled like dragon dung ever since you messed up our project in Herbology last Wednesday…”

“Shut up Sirius! I’m almost done,” fifteen-year-old Peter panted, as he struggled to shove the rest of his Knuts and Sickles into his pockets. With a frustrated swipe, he sent most of the coins spilling over his nightstand and scattering across the wooden floor of the boys’ dormitory.

“Dear Merlin, Peter, can’t you even put a couple coins in your pocket?” James grinned. “Wingardium Leviosa!

The dispersed coins were immediately lifted up into the air in unison. With a simple flick of his wand, James neatly parted the handful of coins into two separate groups and sent them flying into both of Peter’s front pockets.

“Thanks James,” Peter smiled.

“Yeah, now let’s go!” James, Sirius, and Remus shouted in altogether, impatiently tapping their feet. Sirius was squirming edgily as if he had to go to the bathroom.

Peter rushed over to them, and the four of them were out the door in a flash.

“Okay, since Sirius’s ‘parent or guardian’ unfortunately couldn’t sign his permission slip once again this year, it looks like we’ll all be going to Hogsmeade the good old-fashioned way.”

“What, through the witch’s hump?” Peter piped up. Several passing students stared at him curiously.

“Shh!” Remus hushed furiously.

“Do you want the whole school to find out about the path, or do you just want me to not go?” Sirius huffed angrily.

“Sorry,” Peter mumbled, a bit red in the face.

“Anyway…here’s the witch. Is the coast clear? Yeah? Okay, Peter, you first…”

Fifteen minutes later.

“Ah…fresh air! Finally, out of that boring tunnel!” Sirius yawned, as he stepped out of Honeyduke’s stretching his muscular limbs and shaking his head in a rather dog-like manner. A couple of passing girls giggled and eyed Sirius from head to toe.

“Boring? When we discovered it our second year, you thought it was most interesting thing in the whole damn world!” James exclaimed, grinning non the less.

“Ah well, we were a bunch of dumb arses that were much too easily entertained back in second year.”

“Tch. You’re all still a bunch of easily entertained dumb arses, you dumb arses.”

The group of boys spun around to come face to face with Anne. Her hair wasn’t short and flared, but was down and slightly passed her ears. A gold and red headband held the rest of her pitch black hair from spilling onto her face.

“Oh no,” Peter thought grievously. If there was anyone who truly intimidated him, it was Anne.

“Hey Anne,” Remus said somewhat shyly.

“Wu! Whoo, whoo! What brings you here?” Sirius shouted cheerfully, as if Anne were standing on the other side of the village.

“Someday, I hope they discover a spell strong enough to calm you and your over-energized mouth down Sirius Black,” Anne sighed. “Anyway, I secretly ditched Alice and Lily to come see you guys, so listen up. Have you heard of what’s going on in the village square?”

“No.”

“Well, there’s going to be a dance competition, the best dancers getting a brand new broom.”

“You’ve caught my attention already, Wu,” James grinned.

“Yes, I thought it would. But something better than a new broom can work out for you if you play your cards right, Potter.”

“Oh, and what’s that?”

“The competition is a competition for couples. Meaning- there needs to be a girl and a boy in order to enter. I also happen to know that Lily wants very badly to win a free broom…” Anne trailed off and eyed James with a slightly amused look, for James’s eyes had grown humongous and his jaw had dropped.

“OFF TO THE VILLAGE SQUARE!!”

Anne and the three remaining marauders calmly watched as James sped off through the crowd.

“Wow, James can run pretty damn fast,” Sirius said in a completely blank expression, watching James hastily shove an old witch out of the way and in return receive several sharp smacks from a wooden walking cane.

“It’s called the Lily Dust. Sprinkle some on and- voila- you are enabled with the speed of light,” Anne said in an equally nonchalant tone.

The four of them heaved a sigh and shook their heads.

“So…is there really a dance competition, or is there a bigger scam involved?” Remus inquired after a while.

“No, no. I’m actually telling the truth, for once,” Anne grinned. “Well, I think my work here is done. I’ll see you three boys later.” She turned gracefully around to leave.

“Wait!” Remus’s hand shot out and grabbed Anne’s hand. She turned around, a surprised look on her face.

“Er…do you think that competition will be any fun? I mean, a new broom doesn’t sound all bad…” Remus stuttered.

“Remus Lupin, are you asking me to dance with you?” Anne asked, with a suspicious glint in her eyes.

“Er…yes?” Remus squeaked, completely frozen and still clinging to Anne’s hand.

Anne glared at him for a moment, then split into a gorgeous grin.

“It’s a date!” she laughed.

Remus’s face melted into one of utmost relief. He then realized that he was still holding on to Anne’s hand. He quickly made to let go.

“Wait! Aren’t we on a date- for competition’s sake, of course?” Anne asked hastily, grabbing his hand, a worried frown on her face.

Remus gazed into her black eyes. He let out a small chuckle.

“For competition’s sake, just this once,” he smiled.

Anne beamed. She always felt so happy around Remus. Even the whole school knew that if one wanted to improve Anne’s moods, all one had to do is fetch Remus.

“What are we waiting for then? Let’s go! Oh, you two want to come along?” Anne asked looking at Peter, who gulped, then at Sirius, who had long ago lost interest in the conversation and was handsomely leaning on the glass window of Honeyduke’s and fully spacing out.

“Huh, what? Dance? Oh, dance! Sure let’s go dance!” Sirius said excitedly, as he snapped out of his trance.

“What about you Peter? You coming along?” Anne questioned, giving Peter one of her eagle-like stares.

“Er, no. No, thank you,” Peter muttered while secretly wondering what Remus possibly saw in a girl like Anne.

“What? Oh no, no, no, no, no! That won’t do! Today you’re my date Peetie-weetie!” Sirius cooed as he linked arms with Peter.

“Sirius, let go!” Peter panted, as he struggled to pry Sirius off but to no avail.

Why is Sirius so much damn stronger than me?

“Well, you two love-birds make up your minds. Remus and I are off!”

“Come on Peter! It’ll be fun!” Remus managed to say, as he and Anne ran off towards the village square.

Peter grunted uncomfortably. He had a feeling that today was going to be a long day. Before he could spare a second thought, Sirius suddenly swept Peter off his feet with both arms like a newly-wed bride. The next thing Peter knew, Sirius began running full speed towards the village square.

“PUT ME DOWN SIRIUS BLACK, NOW!” Peter squealed uncontrollably. Peter’s shrill squeaks only added to Sirius’s excitement, and he soon broke into break-neck speed.

Heads turned as bystanders observed a tall handsome boy carrying a squat screaming boy zoom down the cobbled streets of Hosmeade. Then-

SPLAT!

Sirius, running so quickly, had been too late to see the pool of mud in front of him. He ran straight into it, creating a spectacular shower of mud and muck. Fortunately, he had managed to maintain his stance; however, it had cost Peter his cleanliness, for Sirius had accidentally thrown Peter into the air in to keep his stance.

Peter went flying through the air, screeching his lungs out. Everyone in the vicinity winced and “ooh’ed” as he landed hard right on his bum, creating a massive tidal wave of slimy mud.

As the sludge oozed between the strands of his stringy hair and down his back, Peter desperately tried to clear the filth and the tears of embarrassment from his eyes. The crowd that had formed around him and Sirius was doubling up with laughter. Many were pointing their fingers at him. Even Sirius was laughing his brains out.

But, of course, no one laughs at handsome, funny, smart Sirius Black. Oh no, everyone laughs at small stupid Peter!

At this thought, more tears leaked out of Peter’s small eyes.

“Look mum! He’s older than me, and he’s crying!” a toddler exclaimed, pointing at Peter and tugging animatedly on his mother’s sleeve.

Peter glared at the little boy angrily from behind the sludge covering his face. Sirius continued to howl with laughter. A pack of girls had formed a semi-circle around him and were looking him over with hopeful looks.

Everyone ignores me. No one ever understands me.

Peter stared at Sirius, who was still cracking up with laughter.

Not even my stupid friends understand. I’m never in the clean spotlight. I’m just…just…

A loser.

“And you call yourself a good friend Sirius Black?”

Heads turned to stare at a young girl with dark hazel hair tied back in a ponytail and hollow eyes.

Sirius abruptly stopped laughing and spun around to face the speaker.

“Well if it isn’t my favorite cousin! Bella-bitch, oops, I mean, Bellatrix,” Sirius smiled innocently.

Bellatrix glowered angrily back at him.

“Shut your mouth, you worthless piece of filth, you low-life! You have no right to rebuke me when you go around humiliating your noble family and then your own friends! Woe to my poor aunt for bringing such a wretched and unworthy son into this world!”

“And since when did you turn into someone so caring?” Sirius growled.

“I had to say something on behalf of our pure blood and the poor boy who you claim is your friend, yet fling down into the mud!”

“Ha! Like you actually have feelings capable of pity and care! Go take your crap somewhere else, and spare us your damn sermon!”

“What, don’t you think this boy has feelings too? Your self-absorbedness sickens me, you low dog!”

“Piss off!” Sirius barked irritably.

“You dare to tell me something like that, you betrayer of blood, shame of my poor aunt’s flesh! May you die and be cursed into oblivion!” Bellatrix screeched, her face contorted with rage.

“I said piss off! No one cares about your stupid blood mania!”

Bellatrix seemed on the verge of whipping out her wand, but she merely let out a snort and turned to face Peter.

“You listen to me Pettigrew. This dog,” she pointed to Sirius, “doesn’t give a damn about anyone but himself and his stupid looks. From what I can see, he‘s just using you as some play thing to get more attention for himself.”

“Yeah, and I’m sure Peter really believes that!” Sirius snarled. “In case you haven’t noticed, we’ve been good friends for about FIVE years now!”

“Open your eyes Pettigrew! Open them to the truth!” Bellatrix walked over to Peter, stooped down and whispered in his ear,“ You’re worth more than that. You’re worth more than a mere toy for Sirius Black. I personally think that you’re capable of making more impressive and appreciative friends.”

She paused, then murmured,” Slytherin is always waiting for the ambitious. Keep Sirius and his idiotic laughs and pranks, or follow us. Follow us and reach glory, power, and acceptance.”

Bellatrix gave Peter a sly grin and slowly stood up.

“I’ll be waiting for you, Pettigrew.”

She turned around with a final nod at Peter and walked away. Peter watched her disappear with an open mouth.

“Yeah, that’s right! You had better walk off!” Sirius yelled triumphantly after her. He gave a short bark of a laugh then turned around to Peter. “You okay Peetie?”

But Peter wasn’t listening. His eyes were transfixed on Bellatrix.

Someone actually stood up for me. Not only that, she actually understood me…

Bellatrix Black continued her walk down the streets and disappeared from Peter’s sight.


The sound of Bellatrix’s black shoes echoed on the cobbled street as she neared a dark alley. She was about to pass it when a voice suddenly sounded from somewhere in the darkness of the alley.

“That was one of the most convincing shows I have ever seen you give Bellatrix,” said the voice.

Bellatrix stopped dead in her tracks and smirked.

“Why thank you, Severus,” she said sweetly, turning to face a stringy teenager step out of the shadows.

Severus Snape wore a satisfied grin on his thin and pale lips. His gangly, greasy black hair hung around his pallid face, making his eyes seem more sunken and mysterious. His height was average, but he was much too thin, giving him the air of one suppressed in the darkness of a prison. His black robes hung loosely from his bony limbs.

“So… you’ve figured it out, haven’t you, Severus?” Bellatrix said quietly, looking Snape straight in the eyes.

Snape nodded silently.

“It’s an ingenious plan, using Pettigrew to get to Potter, and perhaps his Mudblood also.”

“Yes. I have to say, the fat little dim-wit couldn’t keep his eyes off me after my little speech, which was absolutely drenched with pity,” Bellatrix chuckled maliciously.

“Pettrigrew has never had a second glance from anyone in his entire miserable life, and, because he has no brains to whatsoever, he’s never had a chance to do anything about it. But now, you’ve given him the chance, hope, and love he’s been searching for,” Snape smirked. “It won’t be long until he joins you.”

“Will he be the only one joining us?” Bellatrix inquired, taking a step forward towards Snape.

Snape’s grin melted off his face.

“Severus, you know that we need you. I’ve told my master of your quick wits, and he’s impressed with what he‘s heard. We would be much honored by your presence…”

“I…I have considered your invitation several times. I do not know. My ‘quick wits’ tell me there is danger, and most Slytherins prefer to stay out of troublesome matters-”

“Yes, but the thirst for power and glory is strong in all Slytherins,” Bellatrix quickly interjected. “I can sense this thirst in you, Severus… And besides, I thought that your loathing of Potter would overcome any cowardice you might possess.”

“I have no cowardice!” Snape spat.

“I know. And that’s why we want you. The fact that you haven’t gone running to Dumbledore already is proof of your growing loyalty!”

Snape remained silent. He stared sullenly at the ground.

“I’ll think about it.”

“You do that, Severus,” Bellatrix said, still staring straight at him. “Well, enjoy the rest of your day. I’ll be seeing you later, Severus Snape.” With that, Bellatrix departed and disappeared down the dirt path leading to Hogwarts.

“Yes…I’m sure we will be seeing much more of each other soon, Bellatrix Black.” Snape turned on his heel and exited the alley in the opposite direction.

A few moments passed before Anne stepped out from behind a wall by a restroom.

“So… the evil bitch is planning to use Peter to get to my friends,“ Anne muttered. She stared in the direction in which Bellatrix disappeared. “You’ll only get to James and Lily over my dead body,” she whispered.

A/N: Hello everyone! I know this chapter isn’t nearly as action-packed as the last, but it’s still VERY important to show Peter’s little thing for Bella. It’s an important part of what will happen to all the characters in the end. Also, I have a small request to make-- please review for ANY of the chapters, not just the one that was posted most recently. This really helps me in writing the next chapters!! Thank you to all the loyal readers!