Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

All's Well That Ends Well? by Shock

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Sorry for the long, long, long, long wait everyone!
“MISS EVANS! WHAT ON EARTH ARE YOU DOING?”

Lily tightly shut her eyes.

She heaved a sigh as if to say: “I knew something like this would happen”, re-opened her eyes, and slowly turned around to come face to face with Professor McGonagall for the second time that day.

Professor McGonagall was standing at the very end of the hallway, wearing the most scandalized expression. The metal frames of her glasses glinted in the moon’s beams, making her look angrier and more formidable than ever.

Lily grimaced as she stomped over to them. The echoes of her angry footsteps on the hard floor seemed to slam into Lily and Prongs, making them shrink in fear. Even from a distance, both of them could tell that her nostrils were flared.

“WHAT, WHAT ON EARTH IS A STAG DOING IN THIS HALLWAY?” Professor McGonagall spluttered incredulously, her head swiveling from Lily to Prongs and back again.

Lily could feel the blood draining from her face as she stared up into the face of her breathless professor. Panic was swiftly crawling up from the tips of her toes to the very top of her head.

What on earth was she to say? ‘Oh yes, Professor, I was doing my duties, as usual, and there was a stag in here, so I just thought I’d stop to give it a swift pat on the head and a friendly kiss then move on with patrol.’ Yeah, that was the sure-fire way to go…

Lily gave a silent moan of desperation. She stole a quick glance at Prongs, who’s eyes looked shocked and at a loss for what to do. Lily forced down the squirming sensation of panic that was threatening to wriggle out of her throat.

Think! What would Anne do? How would she lie?“ Lily thought frantically.

She felt a twinge of guilt for letting her thoughts immediately jump to Anne when she obviously needed to create a convincing lie, but now was not the time to worry about that. McGonagall was bearing down on her, and Lily could practically see the steam pouring out of her nostrils as her anger boiled. Her whole countenance seemed to sizzle and singe.

“I… Professor…I…have a very good explanation to this!” Lily rushed through the end of her sentence in one nerve-racked breath.

“Yes, Miss Evans, I should daresay you do, or else you can look forward to a month’s worth of detention!” Professor McGonagall said breathlessly, in a tone mixed with pure shock and fired-up outrage.

“Yes… well, the thing is,” Lily stuttered, her heart beating like an out of control drum.

Lily desperately tried to think of some kind - any kind - of explanation while, at the same time, she attempted to block the swirling clouds of panic from fogging up her brain.

But the only thought that managed to race through Lily’s mind was that she and Prongs were doomed. How on earth was she to solve this horrible state of affairs? It would be hard enough to explain anything if Prongs had been a real stag and not an Animagus. To top it all off, Prongs was probably an unregistered Animagus.

No, no. What am I thinking ’probably’ for? It would be more strange and miraculous if he were a registered Animagus. James Potter do something legal? Yeah, right, like that’s ever going to happen… So this is just great. McGonagall is going to kill and expel me and then put James in Azkaban for illegal underage activities.

Suddenly, a white hot sense of panic that had nothing to do with her concern of her own well being stole over Lily’s whole body.

What if she actually does do something to James? What if the Ministry actually does get involved in this? I mean, okay, so becoming an unregistered Animagus, especially when you’re not even legally an adult, is a pretty bad offense, but James never meant to do anything wrong! It was harmless! He was…

Lily gave a mental sigh of exasperation.

He was just having ‘fun’.

“MISS EVANS! If you do not give me a proper explanation in the next three seconds, I will make sure you confess in detention for the rest of the year or prior to your possible expulsion!” McGonagall exploded with impatience, causing Lily and Prongs to both cringe in fear once more.

Lily stole a quick glance at Prongs. Her bright green eyes connected with his warm hazel ones. She could see her own shocked eyes reflected in his equally shaken ones.

What am I supposed to do, James?

But as she stared deeply into his lovingly warm eyes, she suddenly felt herself ease. Her tense shoulders relaxed and she closed her eyes. Somehow - whether it was magically or instinctively, she couldn’t tell - she suddenly could feel James’s fiery spirit in her own passionate soul. In the next millisecond that followed, she could almost touch his slender, yet sturdy, fingers as they wound themselves meticulously, gently, and affectionately around her troubled heart, soothing and caressing her. She could sense his body heat enveloping her, melting her like a warm midsummer night. She could smell his scent, that heavenly scent of fresh air that comes only with the rising sun.

It’ll be okay, Lily. Don’t panic. Just think.

And suddenly, the sensation was gone, although its glow remained in her heart. Her eyes snapped open to reveal her brilliantly green eyes as they found themselves staring once more into Prongs’s.

How she knew that he was smiling warmly and encouragingly at her, she couldn’t tell. All she knew was that somehow, with James at her side, everything would be okay.

And this sensation isn’t at all unfamiliar. It’s the feeling I’ve always received from his vibrant personality, his cheerful and care-free laugh, his caring nature. It’s the very essence of happiness, of hope…

It was as if a new flame of hope that had burst open in her heart. Her heart was still hammering away in her chest, but the cold claws of panic had released its grip on her. With this new-found feeling of determination, Lily suddenly realized what she must do.

Lily gave a small smile at Prongs.

Prongs seemed to frown. Was that a hint of sorrow etched onto her gorgeous face? And what was this sudden look of settled determination that had suddenly engraved itself onto her countenance. After six years of staring at her, Prongs knew that this look only revealed itself before Lily took drastic actions. And was it just him, or was she tightening her grip around her wand inside her pocket?

Prongs made to step forward, as if to somehow talk Lily out of whatever crazy action she was about to take. However, before he did, something happened; something unbelievable; something miraculous; something he had waited six years - no - his whole life for.

Lily, turning slightly around, locked her gaze on James and mouthed silently, but clearly, three words that made his heart want to stop beating, tear itself apart, and explode with ecstasy all at the same time. They were the three words he knew were destined to be uttered into his ear someday.

“I love you.”

Prongs’s eyes widened. For a moment he could only stare at her face, that face he had memorized every detail of in the last six years. It was the face that could transform into that of an ogre’s but would still shine like gold in his eyes because he loved her. He loved her not for her looks, not for her brains, not for anything but the fact that she was her. They were just simply destined to be, and now both of them knew it and would know it and treasure this fact in their hearts forevermore.

This train of thoughts flew between the two teens on seemingly soft wings within but a few seconds, but was harshly severed by Professor McGonagall’s incensed voice. Time suddenly seemed to speed up to its normal, hectic pace as the professor spoke.

“One!” She began to count down the three seconds, during which Lily was expected to decide once and for all what to do.

But even before the count of two, Lily had made up her mind and was tightening her already firm grip on her wand.

I won’t let McGonagall, the Ministry, anyone, or anything upset your life, James.

“Two!”

I’d rather die than let that happen. I know I’ll have to sacrifice the last six years of hard work to prove that I’m not lying, but I’d rather be expelled a hundred times over than see you being locked away in some stupid prison, that fire that I love slowly being doused with darkness.

So here goes nothing.


“THREE, MISS EVANS!”

I love you.

Lily suddenly whipped out her wand with alacrity. Her hands were shaking, but there was a set look of determination burning within her eyes.

RELASHIO!” she shouted before McGonagall could register the fact that Lily had just done something so incredibly stupid.

Prongs reared up in surprise, thinking that the spell was intended for McGonagall.

But Lily gave a triumphant smile as her spell squarely hit one of the many window frames, causing the whole wall of glass to shatter and come raining down to the ground.

The moonlight shone through the droplets of glass. They seemed to fall in slow motion, like crystallized rain drops, as Prongs realized what Lily was doing.

The glass hailed down and splashed into millions of clear fragments, scattering themselves across the floor as Prongs spun around to face Lily.

Professor McGonagall lashed out her wand, a look of shock and anger spread across her face.

“RUN, YOU IDIOT, RUN! ESCAPE THROUGH THE WINDOWS!” Lily screeched.

For a millisecond, Prongs seemed not to know what to do.

But the moment only lasted for a fraction of a second. He ran, but not towards and out the now empty expanse that Lily had created. Instead, he dashed towards Professor McGonagall.

Perhaps it was the shock of seeing a giant, full-grown silver stag cantering directly towards her for the first time in her life that made Professor McGonagall pause for the slightest moment in releasing her Stunning Spell. In this slight pause though, Lily suddenly regained the sense of movement that she had lost due to the fear and pride of doing something so mad. She swiftly lunged at the professor, who was standing a mere three feet away and had already raised her wand in order to stun Prongs.

Screaming unconsciously, Lily flung herself at the surprised professor and tackled her to the floor.

I won’t let you hurt him!

As the two women toppled to the floor, Lily forcefully knocked the stunned professor’s wand out of her hand and sent it flying through the air. Prongs paused slightly in front of the two prostrated bodies before soaring in a graceful arc above them and catching the wand between his teeth. His hooves landed with a loud clatter that echoed throughout the hall, which was sparkling with glass .

As swiftly as the wind itself, Prongs cantered down the hall, turned sharply at the corner, and disappeared.


Anne had finally picked up her books for what she hoped would be the final time and was trudging up some stone steps once more.

Is it just me, or is the castle teasing me by placing the common room farther away from me with each step I goddamn take?,” Anne thought furiously as beads of sweat began to burst out all over her smooth skin.

As she tried to pick up her pace, she noticed the moon’s bright beams spilling out from the nearest window and onto her heavy texts, causing the peeling gold enamel outlining the words “Advanced Potions” on the top most book of her gargantuan stack to glint with pale blue gleam.

Suddenly, the image of two wonderfully pale blue eyes flickered up in Anne’s mind.

Endymion Lucent…

Anne stared down at her potions book pensively, replaying her encounter with Endymion once more despite the fact that she felt guilty for daring to think of someone the opposite sex besides Moony.

His eyes were just like the moon. So pale and gorgeous and yet…it seemed like they were hiding something too. When I looked into them, I thought I was staring at an angel.

But…it was like the angel was weeping softly somewhere inside at the same time…


Anne shook her head slightly as she realized that her mouth was slightly open.

Maybe it’s just me.

She shook her head once more and snorted in a desperate attempt to regain her consciousness.

Well, he said he’d help me with potions homework, so I suppose I’ll be seeing more of him soon.

Oh! And I wonder what’s happened to Lily.

Anne grinned to herself at this thought.

Even though Sirius is seriously touched in the head somewhere, I’ve got to admit that he has some brilliant plans sometimes - although the S.M.S.O.B. could live without his plans to make orange and sparkly lanyards for all of us,” thought Anne, as she exasperatedly rolled her eyes.

Even I never have thought of spiking Lily’s drink with Draft of Recklessness! Imagine that! Sirius Black beating me at formulating a plan! Well, the effects should be kicking in right about now, and I daresay that they should have some pretty strong holdings on her since every member mistakenly thought it was their job to do it instead of the other. Oh well! She’ll be pouring her heart out to James in no time.

With that comforting thought, Anne gave a low, evil chuckle, hitched up her pile of tomes once more, and walked on through the moonlit corridors.