Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Debt Repaid by Vloyski

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 17


Harry examined the contents of his cauldron and examined his notes. Eight other people were in the classroom besides him. They were in the last year of the advanced Potions class and Snape was roaming the room, as always, peering into each cauldron as ingredients were added.

He passed Hermione’s cauldron and rather than looking in and moving on, he commented, “Very good Miss Granger.” She stopped what she was doing and watched him walk away, her hand suspended over the bubbling pot. She was so astonished that she almost forgot to add the last ingredient at the last moment. Harry glanced over and then back at his own. He was trying to keep from looking at his Potions master. He was concentrating so hard that he almost slipped and dropped a vial when the deep voice spoke behind him.

“Yes, Mr. Potter, that is the correct way to add the morning glory seed. Be sure and stir the lionfish scale in slowly. You have a great deal to catch up on since you have been absent. See me after class so we can discuss additional study time.” And that was it. Snape moved on to another student.

After class the rest hurried and cleaned up and left the classroom. Hermione nodded at Harry knowing they would discuss it later on in the common room when Ron could join them.

The classroom felt very strange as Harry sat his cauldron on a shelf and packed his book away. Snape was at his tall secretary, his head bent over his writing. Harry stood without moving waiting for him. There was deafening silence for a few minutes and he was about to leave when the head lifted.

“Come forward, Mr. Potter.” Snape rose and joined him in the middle of the room. “I think that perhaps it would be wise if we work together for the rest of the year. I will arrange time for you to join me and we will begin your instruction with occlumency.”

“Why?” was all that Harry could think to say.

Snape’s eyebrow raised and he sat down at one of the student’s desks and waved for Harry to do the same. “You were lucky in throwing Him from your mind this last time. It will not be so easy if you meet again. You also lack skills in other areas; stealth and tracking for a start. It seems that if you pursue your current path you will find some of these skills necessary. ”

“And you will teach me these things, sir?” Harry asked. He was being as formal as Snape had been the night before.

“I don’t expect to have to go and fetch Mr. Moody and Mr. Shacklebolt by myself,” Snape said. “You seem keen on rescuing people, I thought perhaps it would be wise to have some assistance.”

“Professor,” Harry was serious, “do you think they are still alive?”

“Yes, I do,” Snape answered. He folded his hands in a familiar way and studied the desk top. “We will have some planning and work to do in order to reach them, but He has kept them alive.” Snape looked Harry in the eye. “We should start soon. There are many things that you should know. Tomorrow evening at eight would be best.”

Harry nodded, “Thank you, Professor.” He was about to turn and leave.

“Harry,” Snape’s voice was low and almost inaudible, “I’m sorry you had to kill Lestrange. It was inevitable that you would kill someone. Truthfully; better her than others. I have not thanked you for saving my life.” Snape rose and turned away. “Tomorrow evening then.”

Harry left the room.


In another part of the castle two young women stood in the courtyard; Hermione and Nadya. Nadya was waiting for Harry so that she could say goodbye. The Romani wagons were already leaving the grounds and disappearing into the dusky afternoon sun. There was a layer of snow on the ground that had not melted. It was almost winter and the camp would disperse and wait for spring. Nadya was going with them.

She stood looking at the ground, her shawl pulled around her shoulders. Hermione was taller and was dressed in her school robes. The two were trying to communicate.

“Harry…” Nadya said and twisted her fingers together pointing at Hermione. Her head came up and the black curly hair blew with the slight breeze. She pulled the wrap tighter around her small shoulders.

“Yes, Nadya, friends,” Hermione said trying to reassure the girl. “We have been friends for many years.” Hermione understood what was on the other girl’s mind. Nadya was jealous and worried.

“He held your hand,” Nadya said in Romani and mimicked the hand holding. “This Gadjo way.”

“Yes, but we are friends,” Hermione emphasized the word.

“Friends, va,” Nadya nodded. “Harry, safe”

“Yes, I will try and keep him safe,” Hermione said. She wrinkled her brow and stepped forward taking Nadya’s hand. “Safe.” She placed it over her heart and closed her eyes. The dark-eyed girl seemed to understand.

Nadya took Hermione’s hand and placed it on her stomach, “Kuzuy (baby).” She then mewed like an infant and rocked her arms together.

Hermione’s eyes widened as she watched the pantomime. “Kuzuy… kuzuy,” she repeated and frowned. “Baby? Are you saying you’re going to have a baby?” She rocked her own arms and cried softly like a baby.

Nadya stood straight and stared Hermione in the face, “Va.”

“Va!…Va!” Hermione grinned and danced around in a circle. Nadya smiled. “A baby!” She stopped and bent to look into Nadya’s face. “Does Harry know?”

“Va, Harry,” Nadya rubbed her belly.

Hermione was frustrated, she knew Nadya didn’t understand. She was searching for a way to communicate and she was rubbing her head with her hand when Nadya took it away from her forehead and placed it on her own. She then shook her head and the dark eyes widened. She shook her head vigorously.

“Oh, Merlin’s beard, he doesn’t know,” Hermione said, still holding her hand in the air after Nadya let go. “Are you going to tell him?” she questioned by putting her hand to her mouth and speaking.

Nadya watched and understood, “Na (no).” She rocked her arms and then shook her head.

“Oh Nadya, why not?” Hermione took the girl by the arm and they sat on the cold stone bench out of the wind. “He needs to know.”

Nadya frowned, shook her head and then put the palms of her hands to her cheek and moaned, looking worried. She then pointed a finger at Hermione, “Harry, safe.”

Hermione nodded, “I’ll watch out for him and I won’t tell.” She looked at the girl whose face studied hers.

Harry came around the corner and smiled at them quizzically. “Hey, Hermione.”

“Hi, Harry,” Hermione answered. She continued to stare at Nadya who looked at her with frightened eyes for a moment.

“What are you two up to?” he asked.

“Just getting to know one another,” Hermione said. “I’ll leave you two alone. Are you coming to the common room when you’re done?”

“Yeah, be there soon,” Harry was saying as Nadya talked to him. “What Nadya? Hermione wait a second.” The young girl kept speaking for a minute. “Hermione, Nadya says that she asked you for a favor and she’s not sure you understood. She says she wants you to swear that you’ll do it.” Harry looked over at Hermione, his eyes narrowing. “What did she ask you to do?”

“It was nothing, Harry,” Hermione said nonchalantly but stared at Nadya. “She just wants me to watch out over you. Not that I’m very good at it.”

Nadya kept speaking and he translated while she spoke, “She says you have to swear, say the words ‘ha sovel’ , it means; ‘I swear‘.” Harry nodded to her and once again turned to Hermione, “Be careful ’Mione, if you swear; it’s like writing it in blood to her people.”

Hermione looked at Nadya, and answered very seriously, “Ha sovel.” She gave Harry a quick smile and turned and left them. The dark eyes followed her.

“Nadya, what was that about?” Harry asked in her tongue.

“I will be away for a long time and I am worried about you,” she answered. “Hermione is a woman. She knows men and will send word if you are not taking care of yourself. She is a good friend,” Nadya said and smiled at him.

He laughed, “I think that worries me.”

They walked to the last of the wagons pulling out from the little valley. Harry watched as Katlana’s wagon pulled out. Nadya hung around the edge of the seat to wave at him until they could no longer see one another.


Somewhere along the ridge of a hill a figure stood watching the small group of wagons rolling through the trees and the boy dressed in Hogwarts robes waving goodbye. When the boy turned and walked back up to the castle the figure also turned and disappeared into the shadows of the trees.





The Tale Now be Told in Full


Thank you for all of your reviews and comments.
Natasha