Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

I Just Wanted You to Know by Keltoi

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 3 - Ways and Means

Ron started to climb the stairs to his room when he overheard Mrs. Weasley and Tonks talking in the lounge room. He crept downstairs quietly to listen.

"I don't know about this,” he heard his mother’s voice slightly tremble. Mrs. Weasley was worried about something. Tonks had been trying to convince her that Ron and Hermione would be safe if they went for a walk together.

"I'll be keeping an eye on them, Molly. Remus, Alastor and I have been told not to let them out of sight until they're back at Hogwarts. Moody's on watch at Harry's place, I'm here for a few days, and Remus is having a rest. It's full moon tonight, so he'll be out of action for a few days, but Shacklebolt's on standby and Dumbledore's managed to convince the Ministry to let your Arthur take a few weeks off work. Between us and the rest of the order, no Death Eater is going to get close."

"I suppose it's alright then - but promise me you won't let them give you the slip."

"They won't. I have my ways and means, you know." Tonks smiled reassuringly at Mrs. Weasley , then stood up. "Where's my digs, then?" she asked cheerfully.

"You'll be in Charlie's old room. It's upstairs, then turn left - it's right opposite Ginny's room, and Ron's in the attic room, so you'll be close to them. I'll show you." Mrs. Weasley stood and led Tonks up the stairs.

Ron darted up the stairs to his room, quietly closed the door, and sat on his bed. So Tonks had ways and means, did she? He thought. He had no idea what she meant, but at least it sounded like he and Hermione could get away from the house, away from Extendable Ears, away from Fred and George, from Ginny, and especially from his mother. Now if only Tonks could be persuaded to stop somewhere along the way during their walk and have a rest, or tie a bootlace, smell the roses, anything. He started to plan his escape.

***

Ginny tiptoed to her door and listened. She could hear her mother and Tonks across the hall in Charlie's room, discussing activities for the week. She giggled when she overheard her mother proposing all sorts of 'family fun' activities that Hermione could join. As if! She brought her attention back to her own door, and heard no voices from inside the room. She knocked gently and opened the door.

Whew! Ron wasn't there. Hermione was opening her parcels, laying her new clothes on the bed. She looked up and smiled at Ginny.

"Hey, there! Come and help me with this stuff. I've never had so many new clothes at one time. We had to venture out into muggle London for some of them - we couldn't find many really nice clothes in Diagon Alley, it's all witches' and wizards' robes - nothing you'd want to wear out with your friends."

Hermione pulled out a small parcel and handed it to Ginny. "This is for you - I'm really grateful that you've asked me to stay here with you."

Ginny sat on her bed with her eyes glowing. She was so happy to be developing a friendship with Hermione - there weren't many other girls living nearby that were close to her own age, and none at all with whom she could share her magical world. A girl with six older brothers and no sisters was definitely at a disadvantage, socially speaking. The parcel was gift-wrapped in glowing white cloud-paper, a magical tissue so light that it was difficult to hold, let alone wrap presents with - it kept trying to float away. Ginny touched the seal and the paper wafted away in the air. Her hands held a vivid green shawl of glow-worm silk. The colour shimmered as she ran her hands across the material, her fingertips leaving glowing traces of pearly white that faded slowly back to green.

"It just cried out to me when I saw it,” Hermione laughed. " 'Ginny needs me' it said, so I bought it for you."

Ginny wrapped the shawl around her shoulders. "Oh, wait 'til I show mum. Thanks ever so much, Hermione - it's beautiful."

Hermione smiled gaily and spoke: "It suits you so well - I knew it was meant for you." She continued unpacking her purchases as Ginny preened in front of the mirror.

"How are you and Ron going get some time alone?" Ginny asked.

"I don't know - but Tonks told me that she'll try to help." Hermione paused. "How has he been, Ginny? He hasn't written or anything... but then I suppose he thought I didn't want to talk to him, either."

Ginny was exasperated, but not surprised. Ron had to be prodded firmly to take any action regarding Hermione, and avoiding the issue by doing nothing about it for a week had been the easiest option for him. No wonder Hermione was still doubtful about his feelings for her. It had been obvious for the last week that he was miserable, but he hadn't taken any of Ginny's hints that he should contact Hermione, if only to say 'sorry'.

"I'm sure he'll want to talk to you, now that you're here. Did you see his reaction when he saw you at the door?" Ginny giggled.

"Yes, I think Tonks' advice was well worth it. She wouldn't let me come here until we'd been to a dozen shops, then I had to get my hair done, too."

"It looks fabulous - how did you get it to behave?"

"It took some doing, I can tell you. None of the Muggle hairdressers could make it stay put, so we went back to Diagon Alley and charmed it into submission. I don't suppose it will stay this way, though - but at least I know how to make it look like this again."

"Good. Now show me your new clothes." Hermione picked up the nearest parcel and proceeded to tell Ginny about the shopping trip.