Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

I Just Wanted You to Know by Keltoi

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
They raced towards the stile at the end of the field. Hermione's hair was flying in the wind. Ron beat her to the edge, but he stopped and extended his hand to assist her.

She stepped over, and he followed to stand beside her. "This," he said proudly, "is where I learned to dodge Bludgers." He laughed, adding, "And where Fred and George learned to hit me with them.”

Hermione smiled. She was thrilled that Ron wanted to share this part of his life with her. "When did you start to practice Quidditch here?" she asked.

"Oh, years ago, only it wasn't Quidditch practice then. I thought it was just a ball game that everyone played. I couldn't understand why I had to be the target every time." He sat down on the grass. "It seems so far away now. Quidditch doesn't seem so exciting, after...you know."

"Oh, Ron, don't give it up now." She sat beside him, reaching for his hand. "Ginny told me you're getting really good at it, and after the way you played this past year, you're going to be one of the best!"

He turned his face and looked into her eyes. "D'you really think so? I'll never be as good as Harry”not that I mind that. He's the best Seeker that Fred and George have ever seen, and we need someone like him to keep those Slytherin gits in their place." He took a slight pause, and then continued. "I'm not sure I want to keep playing Quidditch, anyway. I don't know...it all seems so...pointless now."

"Why? We all need something like Quidditch to keep our spirits up after...everything that happened at the Department." There. She said it. Now she braced herself for what was to come.

Ron slumped as he remembered that day. The scars on his arms were fading, but the scars on his spirit would be there forever. "Hermione...” he began, but fell silent.

"Yes, Ron?"

"Hermione...I...I was so scared you wouldn't make it. That spell”Neville told me it just knocked you out solid. I can only remember parts of what happened. I wasn't myself, and that damn spell had me giggling and carrying on, and then those...brains attacked me. I didn't even realise until afterwards how badly you'd been hit." Ron shivered, and his breathing became jerky, gasping.

Her heart melted. She knew Ron and Harry cared for her, but Ron had never shown her this side of his feelings. Tears spilled from her eyes as she reached out and held Ron close with his head on her shoulder.

She was still holding him when Tonks called some time later from beyond the hedge. "Oy! Ron, Hermione! Where are you? We'd better get going!"

Ron lifted his head and looked into Hermione's eyes. "Thanks. I really needed to talk about that stuff."

She gazed back into his eyes. "Me, too. We'll talk some more. There are some things I need to get straightened out. Can we come here tomorrow and bring your broom? I'd like to see you fly."

"Sure. Maybe you can throw a Bludger at me." He smiled, his whole face lighting up in that way that made her feel...well, special.

Her heart thumped, and she said, "I'll blow a kiss at you. Just try and dodge that."

On the way back, Tonks told them about the oak. "It's quite young,” she stated. “I spoke to the tree sprite living in it, and she said it was planted when Arthur and Molly were first married. There's other oak trees nearby that are much older, but she told me that their sprites won't talk to her until her tree's at least a hundred years old. They have their own kind of snobbery about things, I suppose. She's been worried about all the magic around lately. She said that her tree can perceive magical energy much more clearly than the older ones, and it talks to her about it." Tonks paused. "There seems to be more magic around here than usual, but that's probably just you two, me and Ginny being here for the holidays."

They walked slowly back to The Burrow, chatting excitedly about plans for the rest of the holidays. Tonks told them there was a meeting of the Order scheduled that evening. "You two are specifically invited."

"What did mum say? She'll never let us go. 'We're too young',” Ron said sadly.

"Dumbledore sent her an owl requesting your presence, and he's coming here personally to collect you,” Tonks replied. "Molly was impressed enough not to object."

"What's it about? The meeting, I mean,” asked Hermione. She didn't think there was anything she and Ron could offer. They weren't likely to be given any jobs to do for the Order. Maybe they just wanted as many members as possible to attend, and it would be better to have them nearby under protection rather than pull Tonks off guard duty for the evening.

"I'm not sure, but I think Dumbledore wants to discuss plans for Harry's protection. He was shocked and upset that Hogwarts was infiltrated by Crouch Jr. during the Triwizard Tournament, and then Umbridge's interference last year, and Moody has everyone feeling paranoid as well. Heaven knows I have every respect for old Alastor, but he gets on my nerves after a while. You can't think straight after hearing 'CONSTANT VIGILANCE!' for the tenth time in twenty minutes."

They continued back to The Burrow. Hermione's school trunk had arrived in their absence, and her eyes brightened when she saw it in the kitchen. Ron groaned.

Hermione grinned. "I did tell you I wanted to catch up, but I promise I'll keep it to one hour a day, okay?"

"I suppose so." Ron knew he had a choice: spend an hour with Hermione and study or spend an hour without Hermione.

"D'you think you could help me catch up, too?" he asked shyly.

She beamed. "I was hoping you'd ask. We'll need this…and this…these two…and that one as well." Hermione handed the texts to Ron. "Can you take them upstairs to your room? I'll be up in a moment." Ron heaved the books and started off as Hermione spelled her trunks into the cupboard under the stairs.

"Now," she said enthusiastically as she joined him in his room, "we really should work on our DA spells. You can try the Stunning Spell on me and we'll see how it goes."

"Hey?" Ron asked startled. "What happened to catching up on classes?"

"I'd call this catching up, wouldn't you? I didn't really want your mother to hear that we'd be practising DA stuff, so I used this as a cover." She pointed her wand at the books Ron had brought upstairs.

"All right,” said Ron happily. "Uh, what's the counter-curse for that, anyway?"

Hermione grinned, and they got to work.

***

After dinner, Mrs. Weasley bustled about, tidying the house for Dumbledore's arrival. Ron, Hermione, Ginny, and Tonks quickly exited to the front garden, laughing as spells began flashing about inside the house. Dust gathered above the rugs, and flowed in a steady stream out the back door. Dinner dishes flew to the cupboard from the sink as they were washed and dried by brushes and towels dancing around busily as if held by invisible hands. Feather dusters and washcloths moved swiftly by themselves over the furniture as Mrs. Weasley stood in the centre of it all. Her wand waved frantically as she kept track of everything.

Suddenly there was a flash of light, and Dumbledore appeared on the doorstep. His robes billowed in the gust of disturbed air.

"Hello, Professor!" Hermione ran to greet him.

"Hello, Miss Granger. Hello, Mr. Weasley, Miss Weasley. Nymphadora, what are you all doing out here?"

"Avoiding mum,” Ron replied. "You'd better not go in just yet. She'll give you a job sweeping the floor or something."

"I'm sure that your mother would regret assigning any housekeeping chores to me." His eyes twinkled as a tiny smile creased his mouth. "Perhaps you'd better announce me." He indicated the door, and Ron walked through to tell his mother.

Seconds later, Mrs. Weasley ran through the door, brimming with joy and nerves that Albus Dumbledore had arrived at The Burrow.

"Professor Dumbledore, how nice to see you! Won't you please come in?" she asked. "Oh, come back in, you lot," she said, indicating to the others. "Don't just stand there, Professor Dumbledore needs a cup of tea. Hermione, dear, would you see to the kettle?" Mrs. Weasley bustled about, leading Dumbledore into the house. Tonks brought up the rear rolling her eyes.

"Now then, Professor, would you like something to eat? You must be such a busy man. Have you even had time for a decent meal these past weeks?"

"I assure you, Molly, I've had no shortage of home cooking from every wizarding family I've visited recently." He paused and sat down. "But I understand from your children that mince pies are one of your specialties."

Mrs. Weasley blushed as she digested this compliment. "Of course, Professor. GINNY!"

"Yes, mum. What is it?" Ginny asked, standing right behind her mother.

"Oh, there you are. Fetch a plate of pies for us, dear, and ask Ron what's keeping the tea. Now, Professor, are you comfortable? Nymphadora, pass that cushion to Professor Dumbledore."

"I'm perfectly comfortable, Molly, thank you. I regret that my visit here must be a short one. What I really require is your permission for Ron and Hermione to attend a meeting of the Order tonight."

Mrs. Weasley's mood faltered, but she smiled bravely. "I'm sure that you'll look after them, but what could they..."

"I wish to discuss their role in Harry's care this coming year. They're his closest friends, and that friendship is vital to Harry's well-being." Dumbledore paused. "The loss of his godfather and the revelation of the prophecy concerning him and Voldemort have affected him deeply. He will need all the help and support we can give him. Ron and Hermione should know what they're likely to encounter in Harry in the next few months, and I hope to prepare them for that."

"Is he...going to be alright?"

"His welfare is the sole subject of tonight's meeting, Molly. We cannot allow him to be overtaken by grief and depression. All the members of the Order have expressed their sincere wishes for his recovery."

"Yeah, except Snape, I'll bet," Ron added quietly, joining the group in the lounge.

"Professor Snape has a more dangerous task than any other member of the Order, Ron,” Dumbledore replied. "He deserves your consideration for that."

"Why's he so mean to Harry, then? And Hermione?"

"You should be able to see that for yourself, Ron,” answered Dumbledore quietly.

Ron was silent, chastened by Dumbledore's mild words.

Hermione spoke up, "Can't you ask him to lay off Harry, just a little? I mean, if it's Harry's well-being you're concerned about, then Professor Snape's just one more reason to be depressed!"

"That is one of the issues that Harry must learn to deal with himself, and your support and strength is vital,” Dumbledore replied, not unkindly. "Now, are you ready to accompany me to Grimmauld Place?"

Dumbledore held out an old sock, indicating that that Ron, Hermione, and Tonks should each take hold. The familiar wrenching of a Portkey took hold of them, and they disappeared in a flash of light.