Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

I Just Wanted You to Know by Keltoi

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
"How much should we tell Harry?" asked Ron the next day. Ron was carrying each box of supplies for Fred and George's shop from the cupboard under the stairs to the lounge, not willing to risk any kind of spell to shift them, and Hermione was helping to stack them. The twins were due to arrive later to collect them.

"Professor Dumbledore was perfectly clear - he's left it up to us,” Hermione said. “I think we should get him talking about it as soon as possible. You know what Harry's like, he'll bottle it up until it's too late, then there'll be an even bigger mess to deal with."

"Maybe he doesn't want to talk about it."

"That's what he thinks. He always gets moody and depressed about things, and then we have to pry it out of him instead of talking to us at the start, or telling someone else who might be able to help. If only he'd waited to talk to someone else, Sirius might still be alive." Hermione stopped, horrified at what she'd just said. Ron had dropped a parcel, and was staring at her.

"Oh, Ron - that was a terrible thing to say, I'm so sorry!"

"Just don't ever let Harry hear you say that,” he said grimly. She would have to watch her mouth.

She was right, though. Sirius hadn't even come to the Department until after they'd been cornered by Lucius Malfoy and the others.

"It's all right, Hermione. Let's just wait 'til he gets here, and take our cue from him."

"Yes, that's probably best. What's that leaking out the box?" She pointed to a thick green slime that was oozing from the box Ron had dropped.

"Oh, no - they'll kill me. It's probably harmless - mostly."

Hermione took out her wand. "Reparo!" she shouted, and the slime oozed reluctantly back into the box. Ron picked up the box, and placed in gingerly next to the others.

"How about a walk down to the field then? Want to see me practice the Wronski Feint?"

Hermione smiled. "I'll just go and tell Tonks. See you in a minute." She ran upstairs.

A minute - not enough time to change into a new outfit. Hermione was in her “grubbies”, not wanting to risk any of her new clothes near boxes of unidentified Weasley's Wizarding Wheezes. Ron walked upstairs, and fetched his broomstick and the mirror Tonks had given him.

When he arrived back downstairs, his eyes bugged again. Hermione and Tonks laughed at his reaction. They had this one planned and ready to go. This time her hair was braided tightly in a French plait, and she was wearing...

Sandals, black dragon-hide jeans, and a white tank top with “It's magic” printed across the front.

Ron caught his breath as she twirled around. "What do you think?" she asked.

He sighed noisily, almost a groan. He wouldn't last the week if she kept this up. "It's just perfect. It's gorgeous “ you're gorgeous."

Hermione blushed crimson, and smiled shyly. No-one had ever made compliments like that about her looks - except Victor. She quickly put a lid on that thought.

A noise at the window distracted them. Hedwig had landed on the sill, and was tapping impatiently on the glass. Ron opened the window and Hedwig flew straight at him, perching on his shoulder. A parchment was tied to his leg. Ron reached up and removed the letter, and Hedwig took off out the window again.

"It's from Harry,” he said excitedly, sitting down and unrolling the parchment. He read out loud,

Dear Ron,

I heard from Dumbledore last night. He said I can come to The Burrow next week! It can't happen soon enough. It's been better than usual here, but that's not saying much. My aunt and uncle have pretty much left me alone, scared of Mad-eye Moody I suppose, but Dudley is being his old self. Dumbledore's letter said that Hermione is staying with you too, and that we should talk about things, you know, work it all out.

I know in my head that Sirius is gone, but the rest of me haven’t caught up. I still keep looking around for a big black dog to come and knock me over, and lick me.

Dumbledore says the next year at school will be important for us all, and he wants us to continue our DA practice until he finds us a new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher. None of Umbridge's decrees to stop us now!

That reminds me - now that I'm allowed to play Quidditch again, I'll need some practice. Do you think your mum will let us go down to your private pitch to do some flying? I'll bring the Firebolt and we can try each other's brooms for a bit of fun.

I'll see you next week - say 'Hi' to everyone for me, and tell your mum that the Dursleys are starving me!

See you soon, Harry


Ron lowered the parchment. "Poor bloke, having to put up with them every year. The sooner he can get out of there, the better he'll be."

"If it wasn't for You-Know-Who, he could be out of there now,” Tonks replied. "It’s unfortunate, but the existence of that home is one of his greatest defences. Let's not think about it. He'll be safe enough with Alastor hanging about. Don't tell anyone, but he's got hold of an Invisibility Cloak. He spends all night wandering the neighbourhood around the Dursleys’ place, pointing his wand at everyone he sees”wandering cats and dogs aren't safe, either!" Tonks laughed. "I shouldn't tell you this, but Dumbledore's put an incredible barrier of charms and shields around that house. He made me try to get past the front gate, once. I just fainted”no warning”and woke up streets away with my wand fizzing and sparking beside me. It doesn't seem to affect Harry or the Dursleys’, but they must be wondering why they don't get any visitors."

"Cool!" Ron was impressed. "What d'you suppose will happen after Harry comes here?"

"Oh, I think Dumbledore wants to keep the place protected. You-Know-Who wouldn't stop at destroying the house and killing anyone in it, if it meant weakening Harry's defences. He'll have to do something about their memories, though. Petunia would keep her mouth shut, but the other two will reach breaking point sooner or later and start blabbing. Not that anyone would believe them, but we don't want Muggles paying attention to our affairs, do we?"

"I should think not!" Hermione replied. "Well, shall we go?"

The three walked out the door and headed towards the flying field.

When they reached the field, Tonks and Hermione sat down to watch Ron practice his manoeuvres, occasionally launching Quaffles and Bludgers at him to help hone his skills.

"He's really quite good. It's just his confidence that needs work,” said Hermione.

"Why, what happens during the matches?"

"Oh, those slimy gits from Slytherin give him a hard time. 'Weasley is our king, he cannot save a thing' being chanted all through the match. It really affects him."

"I should think that a few victories will settle that. Nothing like a win to boost your confidence."

They watched Ron diving towards the ground, attempting to perfect a late pull-out manoeuvre.

"I should think so, that was a terrific save he..." Hermione stopped as Ron ploughed into the field, sending up dirt and clods of turf as if a bomb had hit.

"RON!" she screamed, running towards him. He was crumpled on the ground, the broomstick lying in pieces beyond the point of impact. His lower leg was at an odd angle, and he groaned as he tried to sit up. There was blood on his jeans. "Don't move, I think your leg's broken! TONKS!" she yelled.

"Right here. Don't move, Ron. I'll fetch help." Tonks pulled out her mirror, and called, "Kingsley, are you there?" The response came in seconds. A tiny voice emanated from the mirror Tonks was holding.

"What is it? An attack? How many? Where are you?"

"It's okay, Kingsley. Ron's had an accident. We need transportation to St Mungo's. I think he's broken his leg. Can you organise some help for us?"

"Will do. Are you safe? There's nothing suspicious about it?"

"No, no, he was practising on his broom, and didn't pull out of a dive in time. We're in a protected field near The Burrow, Ottery St. Catchpole. Better send a Portkey for Ron."

"Okay. They should be there in a few minutes."

Ron groaned again as he tried to move.

"I said DON'T MOVE, Ron!” Hermione told him fiercely. "We'll have you at the hospital soon." She moved behind him to cradle his head in her lap, helping him to straighten up a little. She started to cry.

"Hey, it's alright, Hermione. They'll fix him up at the hospital, and he'll be as good as new before you know it,” Tonks reassured her.

Hermione sniffed. "You gave me such a fright, Ron. Don't ever do that again."

He looked up into her eyes. "I guess we won't be going walking for a while. You'll have to be my nurse instead." He grinned as she blushed.

"Don't think I'm going to fetch and carry for you. Your mother wouldn't let me, anyway. I think some study will help you recover. Think of me as your teacher while you're convalescing." Ron's grin vanished.

"No! Anything but that! I'll be good, I promise." That brought a laugh from Hermione.

A Healer and his assistant from St. Mungo's apparated at the end of the field, and Tonks hailed them over.

"What seems to be the trouble? Broken, is it?" the Healer asked, kneeling and gently prodding Ron's leg through his jeans.

"Arrrgghhh!" Ron cried. "Yes, it bloody well is broken! You don't have to twist it off to make sure!"

"Sorry." The Healer pointed his wand at Ron, and called "Numbellium! Right-o. We'll splint it here, and then take you off to St. Mungo's for a full checkout." The Healer waved his wand over Ron's leg, and muttered "Alignium swatheus!" The leg straightened, and splints and bandages flew from the Healer's bag, winding themselves around Ron's leg.

"Hermione, I'll have to go with him,” Tonks said. "Shacklebolt will take over here soon, and you can come to the hospital later."

"No! I want go with Ron!” she cried.

"Please, Hermione. You'll have to tell Molly what's happened. She'll want to be with Ron, and you can come with her. It won't take long. I'll bet you and Molly arrive before we do." Tonks smiled reassuringly.

Hermione sighed, and looked down in to Ron's eyes. "I'll see you soon.” She leaned over and kissed his forehead. "Just you do what you're told, or I'll..." she stopped, her breath catching on a sob.

The Healer produced a Muggle stethoscope. "Fits the bill, doesn't it? Now take hold, and we'll be at the hospital before you can say 'Quidditch'." Ron reached out, and they disappeared in a flash of light.