Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

I Just Wanted You to Know by Keltoi

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Back at The Burrow, Ron was immediately ordered to sit down by his mother, despite his protests that he was fine.

"Just for this afternoon, Ronald. The Healer said you were to give yourself time to recover, and that means rest."

"All right, then," Ron replied grumpily. He flopped onto the couch and immediately asked, "Can I have something to eat? It's been hours since breakfast."

"Of course, dear. I'll fetch you some pies and pumpkin juice. Would you like some lunch?" Mrs. Weasley asked the others.

"Yes, please,” replied Tonks.

"Oh, yes,” said Hermione.

"Your reputation is well-deserved, Mrs. Weasley. I'd be very grateful for a bite,” said Lupin.

Mrs. Weasley gave him a worried look, and laughed as she realised Lupin was having fun at his own expense. She trotted off to the kitchen, relieved that the children's guards were feeling relaxed enough to make jokes.

"Very droll, Remus. I thought she wasn't going to get it,” laughed Tonks.

Hermione didn't know what to say. She'd never heard Professor Lupin make light of his affliction. It didn't seem right, somehow.

Ron guffawed; this was a good one to tell Harry. "So, when can I go shopping for a new broom, then?" he asked Tonks.

"Let's wait for day or two, Ron. Your mother's right, just let yourself calm down, first. We can't let you go flying, anyway. You'll have to wait until you get back to Hogwarts for that."

"But..."

"No 'buts', Ron. We've got our orders."

Hermione decided it was time to take charge. "Ron, I'd really like to do some more study - won't you help me, please?" she asked. Ron looked disgruntled, but his eyes widened as he saw Hermione wink at him.

"Sure, how about after lunch?" he replied.

"Good. That's settled, then." Hermione stood and went to the kitchen to help.

"When does Harry arrive?" asked Lupin.

"This weekend, if all goes well. Dumbledore thinks he'll be just as safe here as anywhere outside Hogwarts,” Tonks replied. "I hope Molly's got enough room for us all. I suppose Alastor won't need a bed, anyway. He'll spend the nights on patrol, or my hair isn't pink,” she laughed.

The next day, Ron was allowed to take a short walk in the garden. Hermione brought a parchment, quills, and ink, and sat down on the grass in the shade of a large sycamore tree whose branches hung over the fence. She called to Ron. "I thought we should write to Harry about your adventures."

Ron walked over and sat down. "Good idea,” he said dejectedly. "At least he knows what it feels like to lose a broom."

Hermione reached out gave him a hug. "You'll have a brand-new broom soon. Just take it easy on the stunts, okay?" she said cheerily.

"Yeah... " Ron was already dreaming of his very own Firebolt. How am I ever going to pay for it? he thought. Maybe I can sell Canary Creams on commission. Better not mention that to Hermione. It's not the sort of thing she'd approve of, especially for a prefect. I'll probably have to settle for a Comet, or something else. He laid on his back, watching the clouds, dreaming of a Firebolt's speed.

Dear Harry, she wrote.

How are you feeling? I wish I could have come to see you. It must be terribly lonely for you, stuck at Privet Drive. Has anyone else written to you? I'm sure Neville, Luna, and the others would want you to know they're thinking of you. We have lots to talk about when you get here”just hold on for a few more days, then we'll all be together again.

Plenty of things have been happening here. Ron broke his leg on Tuesday”he was practising the Wronski feint and hit the ground. It was terrible to watch. I didn't even have time to slow him down before he hit. Tonks called for a Healer, and he took him off to hospital. It was a clean break, not too serious, and they let him come home the next day, but he's not allowed to put too much stress on it, yet.

His broom was totally destroyed in the accident, and he's missing it terribly. He keeps talking about getting a Firebolt. Fred and George have offered to get him one at a discount, but I'm worried it might have fallen from the back of a bus. The Knight Bus, probably!

We're under guard here, now. Tonks and Professor Lupin are staying here with us until we go back to school. It's good to have them around. They're doing their best to make life pleasant, but I feel like a child with a permanent chaperone!

Ron and I had a terrible argument just after you left the station at the end of term, and I thought we wouldn't see each other until school started again. I was so miserable, but then Ginny asked me to stay here at The Burrow. Tonks and I gave him quite a surprise when we arrived. Tonks convinced me I needed to remind Ron that I'm a girl, so she and I went shopping for some pretty clothes and a hairdo before we arrived. You should have seen his face!

Speaking of clothes, it's time for Ron's reminder. I'm going to get changed into something that will cheer him up.

Bye for now.

Love from

Hermione.


She signed the scroll and rolled it up. "Can I ask Pig to take this to Harry?" she asked Ron.

"Hmmm? Oh, sure, okay,” he replied. She rolled her eyes. He was off with the Chudley Cannons, spectacularly saving goals on his new broom. She gathered up her things and walked to the house.

As she was giving instructions to Pig, Mrs. Weasley called to her from the kitchen.

"Just a moment,” Hermione replied. She sent Pig on his way and walked to the kitchen.

Mrs. Weasley, Tonks, and Lupin stood admiring a brand-new Firebolt resting on the kitchen table. Hermione's eyes widened as she approached.

"Where did that come from?" she asked, astonished.

"It's a present from the shopkeepers of Diagon Alley, dear,” said Mrs. Weasley. "Arthur convinced them that this was a suitable way to improve Ronald's confidence as a Quidditch player." She was certain that her husband had called in a few favours to acquire the gift, but the children didn't need to know that.

"It's beautiful. What a shame he can't ride it until school starts,” Hermione replied.

"Yes, it is a bit sad, but now he's got something to look forward to,” Lupin added.

Hermione had an idea. "Can I give it to him, please?" she asked.

"Of course, dear. I thought that you should be the one to surprise him." Mrs. Weasley's eyes twinkled like Dumbledore's when he was sharing a joke. She'd been aware of their feelings for each other since noticing Ron's reaction the day Hermione had arrived at The Burrow wearing her new clothes.

"I'll just go and get changed,” she said, running for the stairs.

A little while later, Hermione walked out of the house, carrying the broom. She'd put a temporary invisibility spell on it to help carry out her plan.

Ron was still lying in the shade, his eyes closed as he dreamed of a dazzling career with the Cannons. Hermione placed the broom on the ground underneath the kitchen window, walked over to Ron and quietly spoke his name.

His eyes opened, then he gaped as he noticed her clothes. Was this a joke? Why the hell was she wearing formal robes? Her expression was unreadable.

"Wh-what is it?" he asked, an uncertain smile on his face.

"Ron, I have something to tell you."

Oh, no. he thought, getting up from the ground. She's going to leave! What have I done? What's gone wrong? He watched her nervously.

"For your services to the wizards and witches of Britain, helping to defeat You-Know-Who at the Department of Mysteries, I present you with this token of gratitude from the shopkeepers of Diagon Alley!" She drew her wand and shouted "Accio Firebolt! " The broom had been charmed to re-appear when it was summoned, and it flew to Hermione's outstretched hand. "For you, my love,” she said, standing with the broom held out towards him.

For a moment, all Ron could do was stare. His hand moved to the broom, tentatively touching the shaft of polished wood. His jaw dropped as he saw the word 'Firebolt' on the side, next to the serial number, in shining gold inlay.

"It's...it's real!" he said, unbelievingly. He took it from her hand and held it out straight, feeling the balance and power as the broom hummed gently.

"Is it really...I mean, it's really mine?"

"All yours, with their best wishes for your future."

He stared at the broom, and the world's biggest smile lit up his face. Then he looked at Hermione. "I thought you were going to tell me it was all over between us,” he said sheepishly.

She laughed and moved closer to him. "It will never be over between us, Ron. This is for you, too." She blew a kiss at him.

It was no ordinary kiss. Ron felt waves of warmth and love wash over him as his spirit seemed to float upward towards the sky.

After a moment, he shook his head and stared at Hermione. "How did you do that?" he asked incredulously.

"Just a little spell I found in a book,” she answered, smiling. It was a powerful spell. Hermione had felt the effect wash over her as well.

They gazed into each other's eyes, silent for some moments until Ron smiled again. "All this, and a new broom! Hermione Granger, don't ever leave me”I want you forever." He kissed her, awkwardly holding the broom in one hand as he held her close with the other.

Ron's elation came to a halt as he remembered that he wasn't allowed to ride it yet. His shoulders sagged as he let go of Hermione, his face echoing his dejection.

She sensed his feelings immediately. "Ron, it's the most wonderful present I've ever seen. I understand how you feel. Can you be brave for me, and wait until school starts?"

She was getting good at this. Ron's face became cheerful again, and he replied, "Only if you agree to become my broom handler!"

She laughed, relieved that he was able to recover and joke about his disappointment.

"Let's show your mother. Just wait 'til she sees this!"

They walked arm-in-arm back to the house, laughing and teasing about one-on-one instruction and personal training sessions.

***

It was the day before Harry was due to arrive. Ron, Hermione, and Tonks walked along the lane towards the flying field. Lupin followed at some distance, his eyes scanning the surrounding trees and hedges for anything suspicious.

"Wait 'til Harry sees my new broom!" Ron said enthusiastically. "Slytherin won't stand a chance this year. We should ask Oliver to come and see the match”he always loved beating Slytherin."

Tonks grinned and added, "We should make up a new team song. How about 'Weasley and Potter, the best pair in the air, Snitches and Quaffle, they just can't compare!'" They laughed as Ron pumped his arm in anticipation of a crushing victory over Slytherin.

An old woman approached them along the lane. Tonks glanced at the shambling figure clad in black robes, and looked away again towards Ron and Hermione. Suspicion suddenly clicked in her mind and she drew her wand, but not before the figure threw back her cloak, pointed her wand at Hermione and screamed, "Crucio! "

Hermione collapsed on the ground, howling with pain as Tonks pointed her wand at the figure, shouting "Impedimenta! " The woman dodged and pointed her wand at Ron. She was about to curse him when he felt another spell hit him. A dozen ghostly images of Ron suddenly appeared, flying towards the woman. Ron stood and stared as the echoes of his body surrounded her like Dementors. She jumped backwards as the ghosts closed in, then Tonks shouted "Stupefy! " and the woman fell to the ground. Lupin came running past Ron, through the milling ghosts, and waved his wand at the figure on the ground. Ropes appeared and bound the woman tightly. Lupin muttered another spell and a gag wound itself around her mouth.

"It's Bellatrix,” he called out, angrily. He was breathing hard, but his wand didn't waver from her head. Tonks ran up, shouting into her mirror.

"Ron!" called Lupin. "Check Hermione, quickly!"

Ron ran to Hermione. She lay still and quiet, facedown on the ground. "Hermione?" He gently rolled her over. "Hermione, it's me, Ron!" Her face was obscured by hair. Ron crouched and placed his hands behind her, raising her to a sitting position. Her head lolled forward, unresponsive. "Hermione!" he shouted. He was close to panic. She was limp as he struggled to hold her and raise her head. Suddenly her body jerked and she screamed. Ron cried out in agonised relief as he watched her eyes open.

"Hermione! It's Ron, are you all right?" He was crying as she fought her way to consciousness. She drew a shuddering breath and looked at Ron. He flinched as he saw the horror in her eyes. Her body started to shiver and she threw her arms around him, sobbing.

Dumbledore, Kingsley, and twenty members of the Order apparated suddenly, wands pointing in every direction.

"Over here!" Tonks shouted. "It's Bellatrix Lestrange." Dumbledore's eyes continued to scan the scene as four wizards surrounded the woman on the ground. Her eyes glared hate at the figures looking down at her.

Satisfied that the immediate danger was past, Dumbledore walked to Ron and Hermione. "Are you all right, Miss Granger?" he asked kindly.

She looked up at him and nodded silently.

"Cruciatus, was it?" he asked. She nodded again, shivering.

"You should rest. I'll have you escorted to the Weasley's house. Kingsley!" he called. "Please assist Miss Granger and Mr. Weasley back to The Burrow."

Shacklebolt helped Ron raise Hermione from the ground. They started to walk to The Burrow when Ron stopped and turned. He walked back towards the group surrounding the woman on the ground. He drew his wand.

"Miss Granger's recovery would suffer if you were to be sent to Azkaban prison for murder, Ronald,” Dumbledore's words penetrated Ron's anger. He'd never believed himself able to kill someone until this moment. The killing curse was close to his lips when he stopped, confused. He stood and fought with his emotions. Finally he asked, "What's going to happen to her?"

"I hope to persuade Bellatrix to cooperate with us. At the very least, Professor Snape's excellent Truth Potion should provide us with much valuable information. Please let me deal with her, and turn your anger aside. Miss Granger will need your support to return from this terrible ordeal."

Ron's shoulders slumped as his emotions subsided. He joined Hermione and Shacklebolt, and walked with them back along the lane. Five members of the Order followed, their eyes watchful and wands ready.

Dumbledore joined the group milling around Bellatrix. Lupin showed him a small figurine of Ron. "We must thank Fred and George for their little trick,” he said.

"A neat variation of the Replicatus Spell,” Tonks added. "I've never seen it used that way. We should include it in the Auror's spell kit."

"Ah, yes, the Weasley twins. I must ask them to tell me the story of their departure from Hogwarts. They seem to have inspired Peeves to greater heights of mischief,” Dumbledore replied. He turned his eyes to the figure lying bound and gagged on the ground, and his smile faded. "Bellatrix, your misguided loyalty to Voldemort must cease. I cannot allow you or any other Death Eaters to carry out his plans. You must decide now whether you will cooperate with us,” he paused and waved his wand, releasing her gag.

"Never!" she shouted angrily. "My Lord would never abandon me, and I will never abandon him!"

"The alternative is imprisonment for the rest of your life."

Her eyes glittered in triumph, but Dumbledore anticipated her reaction.

"You won't be sent to Azkaban prison, it has already proved unable to hold you. Do you remember the Longbottoms? Yes, I thought you might. You will be imprisoned within your own mind, as you once imprisoned them. You won't be tortured. You should understand that the effect you produced with the Cruciatus Curse on Neville's unfortunate parents can be reproduced at will by a number of”er”highly experienced wizards. You may have a few minutes to decide."

***

Ron gently tucked Hermione into bed, stroking her hair as she mumbled sleepily. "Don't go, Ron. Stay here with me."

"I'm not going anywhere. Go to sleep. I'll be here when you wake up."

Her eyes closed and her breathing became regular. Two minutes later, Ron was gently snoring, curled up at the foot of the bed.

***

In the morning, Hermione woke to the sight of Ron stretched out on Ginny's bed, his feet hanging over the end, and his arm hanging over the side. Her sleep had been mercifully free of nightmares, and she felt rested and alert. The events of the previous day were distant and dreamlike. The terrible, shocking pain of the Cruciatus Curse was now a remote, separate thing. Her eyes filled with tears as she remembered Ron protecting her from Mrs. Weasley's well meant but intrusive, fussing concern as he shepherded her up to Ginny's room. She rose and walked over to Ron, sitting down on the floor beside the bed and picked up his hand. She held it against her cheek, treasuring the warmth and feel of his skin against hers. She turned her head and kissed the palm of his hand. He stirred and his eyes opened.

"How are you?" he asked.

She said nothing, but moved closer and kissed him briefly on the lips. Then she kissed his forehead, his eyes, and his lips again.

"Does that answer your question?" she asked, smiling.

There was a knock at the door.

"Come in,” Hermione called.

The door opened and Ginny walked in.

"Are you all right, Hermione?"

"I'm fine, Ginny. Ron's been looking after me."

"Well it's about time!" she replied, addressing Ron. "The things I had to…never mind. You've got a visitor. Come in!" she called.

Harry walked into the room, his eyes full of questions. Ron and Hermione looked at Harry, then at each other and started laughing.

"What is it? What's so funny?" Harry asked.

"Harry..." Ron started.

"Have we got some stories to tell you!" Hermione finished, still laughing.


THE END