Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Destined to Be by The Marauder

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A/N: Where I’m from to go ‘stag’ to a dance just means you’re going without a date, I guess not everyone says that. Anyway, it’s just an amazingly awesome coincidence, pretty sweet huh? Haha alright…onto the main event!



Ch. 1: YEAR ONE (First Day at Hogwarts)


A tall man with a long silvery beard stepped forward and everyone present became silent in an instant. His expression was serious, but he gave off an appearance of approachability that set those around him at ease. “I’m pleased to announce that this year we are going to try a new tradition, mostly because I enjoy dancing so immensely… but also to celebrate the beginning of a wonderful new year and to welcome our new students…this week we are going to have a ball!” Applause broke out across the Great Hall and Dumbledore raised his hand to silence them. “It will be at the end of the week, so you have five whole days to worry about who you will be going with.” Dumbledore gave a knowing laugh as the students exchanged nervous glances. He lowered his long nose and gazed at them over his spectacles; satisfied, he winked and smiled, “Enjoy!”

Lily Evans gasped as she looked down and saw that a great feast had appeared right before her sparkling green eyes.

The girl sitting next to her laughed at Lily’s shock, “New to magic?” she asked. Lily smiled shyly and nodded. “I’m Kate,” said the girl. She had long, black hair tied back into a wavy ponytail, with a few wisps around her face. Her complexion was fair, and her grey eyes were kind and thoughtful.

“I’m Lily, nice to meet you.” She smiled, tucking her own fiery red tresses behind her ear.

“So what do you think so far?”

“It’s amazing! I can hardly believe a thing I see!”

Kate smiled knowingly and the two young girls filled their plates greedily with the scrumptious banquet before them, both taking in their surroundings and gazing up incredulously at the ceiling, or seemingly lack thereof.

Lily looked at her new friend, pleased to see that she was not the only one thoroughly impressed by Hogwarts. “So, did you grow up with wizards?” she asked curiously.

Kate finally pulled her gaze away from the sky above them and nodded, her mouth full of the delicious feast. Lily laughed as she was at long last able to swallow, “My Dad’s a wizard but my mom’s a muggle. He told her when she was pregnant with me ‘cuz he figured I’d be a witch, and she fainted on the spot…lucky she was just getting in bed,” they both laughed, “but she’s used to it now, we live in London. Where are you from?”

The girls learned about each other quickly, finding they had much in common: both had one sister, enjoyed mystery novels immensely, and were thrilled to learn they would be in Gryffindor. Suddenly a very handsome boy with messy black hair came down from the other end of the table.

“Hi! I’m James Potter.”

Lily smiled, “I’m Lily Evans and this is Kate Locks.”

“Glad to meet yah. And how are you two beauties enjoying your feast?”

Taken aback she looked him up and down. He was good-looking and he had a smile that showed just how friendly he was, but there was something about his air; he seemed to know he was great and appeared very pleased about it. Lily smiled and regained her composure, refusing to let him see her caught off guard, “Just fine. Who’s your friend?”

Another boy with long black hair, dark chocolate eyes, and an impressive physique had come up and sat next to him. “Oh, this is Sirius,” he slapped his new friend on the shoulder amiably; “We’ve been getting to know each other.”

“Hi, I’m Lily.”

“I’m Kate,” she grinned nervously. Lily looked at her new friend and smiled to herself thinking it funny that Kate was already smitten with Sirius. Then again, as she had noticed other girls glaring at them jealously, she was hardly surprised.

“So are you two excited about the ball?” asked James.

“Oh yah! It’ll be a great way to meet people.”

“Definitely! So how’d you like to go to the ball with me Evans?”

She was shocked…“We’ve only been at school for like…half an hour…”

Sirius laughed, “Potter here’s a quick mover.”

Still smiling James winked and cocked his head to the side confidently, “So? What do you say?”

“Oh, well, wow, thanks…” she paused as James smiled and nodded arrogantly, “…but I think I’m gonna go stag this time, sorry…” his smile disappeared abruptly and it took all her self restraint not to beam triumphantly in his face -- she had to try not to enjoy his ego deflating too much-- “Well, on second thought, maybe I shouldn’t go to the first ball alone, I suppose it depends if Kate here’ll have me…”

Kate and Sirius both laughed good-heartedly, but Lily and James met eyes smirking. So this was how it was gonna be? Let the games begin…




A/N: I'm really excited about this story, It's going to be lots of fun! Please review if you'd like more, I promise it'll get exciting soon...!!! Thanks!