Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Destined to Be by The Marauder

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Ch. 3: YEAR THREE (February)


“Oy! Prongs…mate…wake up!” Sirius snapped in his face until he blinked and turned, confused…

“What?!”

“Prongs you’ve been staring at her for nearly twenty minutes!”

James started to blush, “Who?”

Sirius laughed at his friend's feigned innocence, “Right…I just thought you'd want to know that Kate is going to light her cake soon, and asked us to, er, 'round everybody up'.”

James smiled innocently, “Oh really? I wonder how ever we could get their attention…”

Nonchalantly they found a box hidden near the window sill and pulled out several colorful sticks that looked suspiciously like fireworks…

The common room erupted with screams from girls and small explosions as it was filled with bright colors and a finale explosion spelling out HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Once everyone got over the shock they started laughing and congratulating the two marauders. Lily smiled at Kate encouragingly and then turned to frown at James. She thought it was as fun as anyone else, but the moment was lost on her as she watched his ego grow steadily from compliments…

“Nice one Potter!”

“Oh that was amazing James!” cooed a group of giggling first years.

“Excellent Potter! How’d you get those? Zonko’s wasn’t carrying them our last trip!” James and Sirius exchanged proud smiles,

“No, but they were last week, weren’t they Padfoot?” Sirius nodded smiling proudly, and Lily rolled her eyes as everyone congratulated them all over again.

She made her way over to Kate, “Well? Are you having a good time?”

“Oh yah, absolutely, those fireworks were amazing!” Lily tried to put up a fake smile so as not to ruin her friend’s day with more complaints about supercilious James Potter, but Kate caught the look…

“Give him a break Lily, he was just trying to do something nice for my birthday!” Lily nodded, but she wasn’t convinced. No, she thought irritably, he was trying to show that he’s 'amazing' enough to sneak to Zonko’s, but she kept her mouth shut.

“Evans!” Unbelievable! Why is it no matter how many fans he has surrounding him he always has to come and bother me? She rolled her eyes and turned around, “Well? What’d ya think?”

“Not bad, Potter.”

“Why don’t you come with me and Sirius Saturday, we forgot a few…essentials…at Zonko’s, and need to make another trip!”

“What like a date?” she asked coyly as he smiled, “No thanks Potter…”

She started to leave but he stopped her, “Evans, I can show you parts of Hogsmeade you’ve never seen before…”

She raised her eyebrows and then without another word left to talk to Charlotte.

He frowned slightly, and then smiled as he watched her laugh with her friends. She was so beautiful. He loved her dimples when she smiled, and the way her hair was a fire of reds, oranges, and yellows when the light hit it. Sirius looked at him and then shaking his head met Kate’s eyes knowingly; she smiled and then looked away blushing. Even though James and Lily didn’t really “get along”, Kate and Sirius had become good friends over the years. Kate was finally coming to terms with the fact that she liked him, but although he always seemed attracted to her, he was dating a different girl every week. Lily kept telling her to be patient: it would happen when it was meant to, but she was losing hope.

Later that evening, after most of the party had broken up, Lily, Kate, Sirius, and James were talking amiably (except for a few eye rolls from Lily and smirks from James) and playing two truths and a lie. It was the same as the muggle version, except you put on the sorting hat and it came up with astonishing things you would have never thought of (or shared) yourself. No one knew exactly how James and Sirius had swiped it, but even Lily had to admit that it was a rather impressive feat.

“Alright,” said Sirius, “your turn Kate!” she smiled nervously and then put it on…

“Hm…” mused the hat, “well… she fears muggle clowns most of all, she wishes she could fly without a broom, and she has a secret love.”

Sirius smiled, “the third, we'd know if she liked someone!” Kate blushed and the hat announced,

“Incorrect…

The lady does in fact love someone deeply,
Yet shyly keeps her secret sweetly.
The lie in fact is about the clown,
Her greatest fear is that she shall drown.


“What?” Sirius smiled, but it wasn’t genuine and he was obviously flustered by the news. Whether it was only because she hadn’t told him, or for another reason, no one knew…

“Okay Lily, your turn!” announced Kate, trying to break the uncomfortable silence. Lily laughed and took the hat.

“Mmhm…interesting…” She closed her eyes and scrunched up her face in apprehension, “what she fears most are dementors, her favorite story as a child was Alice in Wonderland, and she is tired and secretly wishes she could go up to bed.”

Everyone thought about this for a minute, and then Kate said, “the dementors one maybe? I’ve never heard Lily admit to being afraid of anything! And Lils, if you’re tired, go ahead. We don’t mind!” Lily smiled and shook her head…

“Wrong again…

Dementors are her greatest fear,
Her worst memories she does not wish to hear.
But dear lady is having too much fun,
For this clever game to yet be done.


They all smiled approvingly.

“What’s Alice in Wonderland, Lily?” asked Sirius curiously.

“Oh when I was little it was my favorite story; I always thought it was so much fun! Alice is this girl who escapes from her sisters (if you knew Petunia you’d understand) and enters a world full of imagination and, well, sort of…magic…” They all laughed, and Lily smiled, entranced in her memories…

The game continued, though somewhat quieter as Sirius had become distracted and somewhat tacit after learning of Kate’s secret love, and even James seemed to be musing over something. The laughter, however, remained until Peter stumbled down the stairs rubbing his eyes sleepily and asking if they knew it was past 3:30. They agreed it was time to turn in, and with a hug from James, and a lingering one from Sirius, they wished her a Happy Birthday and made their way up to the dormitories.




A/N: Okay, the older they get, the more exciting it'll get “ promise. Next chapter is some fun with Kate and Sirius, and then year five things begin to...heat up.

I'd like to thank the people that have taken the time to review, and to ask those that haven't not to read and run, just a lil note means so much!

For all those feeling sorry for James...well...i'm sorry but it only gets worse for him...but be patient and everything will work itself out in the end!

Oh, and until next chapter, check out some of my other fics! I have some j/l one-shots, one just posted actually, as well as various h/g and r/h, plus a h/g and r/h romance blossoming as we speak...

Thanks guys! And thanks to my beta Lupin is King!!