Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry's our WHAT??? by Kelsid

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

“Harry Potter… well, as you have already discovered, Lily, he’s not just… irrelevant to you,” Remus began, feeling extremely amateurish in his approach to the subject.

James could see that Remus was a bit uncomfortable; he always gave speeches like that when he tended to be nervous. But he was too curious to put Remus out of his misery and say, “Forget this whole thing!”

Remus felt that he had to do this. It was only right. But how would James handle it? Lily obviously hadn’t figured out she was the mother... If she had known, she probably would have been so horrified, she may have died. He finally said quietly, “He’s… Harry’s… Oh, how do I say this… well… your son.”

James’s mouth dropped open so wide; Lily could have sworn it dropped to the floor.

Lily smiled, a bit excited that she had deduced this right. “I thought so. He looks exactly like you, James! I think I saw Alice’s son, walking down the halls, also. They have the same face-”

James seemed to have shaken out of his reverie as he could only stare at Remus, shock all over his face. “I have a son? Wow- a son…” A dreamy sort of look came over his face, reminiscent of the one when Harry was born. “I bet he’s good at Quidditch… and he has to be a troublemaker… I’m sure he’s popular, and all the girls just have to look at him…”

“He’s not a miniature version of you, James,” Lily commented, rolling her eyes. “I’m sure he’s just perfectly normal.”

“No, my son’s special, Lily!” he protested wildly, looking half-crazed. “Wow- a dad… this is so weird… What’s Harry like?”

Remus smiled, a bit surprised at James’s enthusiasm at being a father. “He looks exactly like you, James. He even has the hair-”

“I feel sorry for Harry,” Lily said, smiling. “What an awful trait to have.” Inside, she wondered who the mother was, but didn’t dare say a word. James might think she was worried about it, or something completely odd like that.

James’s dreamy expression seemed permanent. “And Quidditch?”

“He’s the best I’ve ever seen,” replied Remus, now donning the same expression as James. “He was the youngest Seeker in the century- actually recruited in his first year, from what I heard.”

Jumping up, James shouted, “Did you hear that, Lily? My son’s the youngest Seeker in the century! And he got into Quidditch in his first year- you know, that’s nearly impossible!”

Lily smiled, nodding. She was happy for James, but she had a feeling there was something going on here… something she didn’t remember what she had heard about Harry Potter…

“Wow… I just can’t believe I have a son… God… Well, what about Lily? She’s still waiting to hear her future,” James pointed out, nudging Lily’s arm. “Does she have any kids walking around- a husband?”

Remus had a feeling James wanted to ask about Harry’s mother, but felt a little nervous- understandable. James was going to put it off until the last minute- or until curiosity overpowered his anxiety.

But then, Remus discovered he didn’t know how to say that Lily was married to James. Perhaps he shouldn’t.

James stared at Remus’s face, which was looking rather strained. He doesn’t want to tell us something…something about who Lily’s married to? Why would that matter? Unless… James suddenly thought of something. That had to be it. The thought was completely revolting- but it had to be true…

“Oh, my God, Moony,” he breathed, incredulity in his voice.

He knew.

“Lily’s married to you! That’s why you didn’t want to tell! Why didn’t you tell me? I mean, I did like her… but you could tell me! It doesn’t matter! So… how many kids do you have?” James said, blurting out everything he could say at once. Remus and Lily- oh, why hadn’t he been able to see it?

Remus, at first, appeared neutral. Then, he started to laugh- rather loudly, James thought. Hey, it was a mistake anyone could make! Finally, after Remus had buried his head in his arms on the desk and managed to calm himself down, he was able to speak.

“It wasn’t that funny,” James defended, which only almost sent Remus into another laughing fit.

“I’m sorry James… I’ve just… I thought you meant something else… Well, no. Lily and I are not married,” Remus finally said, wiping a few tears from his eyes. Lily and him… What could James be thinking?

“Well, then why were you so nervous?” asked James.

Remus went quiet again, then finally sighed. He was going to have to tell them sometime. “Because… well… because… just… Harry… he’s not just James’s son,” he managed to say, sounding incredibly stupid in his own ears.

“Of course he’s not just James’s son,” Lily said patiently, watching Remus turn bright red. Maybe he was more like his younger self than she realized…

“He’s sort of- well, Harry is you two’s son,” finished Remus, instantly regretting he said it that bluntly.

Lily’s eyes went wide, and James’s mouth went open so wide, he could have stuffed Dudley Dursley in there. “Harry’s… Harry’s my… Harry’s our WHAT???”

“Your son,” he repeated miserably.

“James and I would never get married… I don’t even like him!” she shouted, vainly trying to deny that she and James would get married- most of all, have a child together…

Remus gave a small smile. “Strange, I know. But you two fell in love in your 7th year and got married not too long after… a year or two.”

She felt oddly choked. This couldn’t be real…James and her? It wouldn’t work- but according to Harry, she supposed it did. Was she a good mother? Lily suddenly began wondering, thoughts flowing through her head a mile a minute. This is probably what James had been thinking not too long ago…

Then she remembered what she had heard about Harry’s parents. They- no… James and… What Harry had said… it sounded like Harry’s parents had committed suicide, the way he was talking. She would never do that- would she?

That’s why Remus looked so sad whenever he saw them! He saw what a mess they would be later in life, in their younger selves. She had to prevent this.

“We’re dead, aren’t we, Remus?” she asked quietly, looking him straight in the eye. Remus appeared startled, and then sighed deeply and gazed at the wall silently. He looked so much older, right then- the way the sunlight was falling on his already lined face and gray hairs.

“Yes. You are.”

James jumped up so fast, the whole room went spinning. “What? Lily and I- dead? How? What happened to Harry? What happened to us?”

“You were both murdered,” Remus said, his voice breaking.

Lily suddenly realized what Harry had meant, and immediately, looking back, chided her on thinking suicide. A murder… How horrible. How did Harry grow up without them? She felt that sinking feeling in her stomach when she realized she was dead. Much sooner than she ever thought she would be.

“How? Who did it? Where’d Harry go to?” James demanded, nervous energy running up and down his body.

“I… I can’t… I can’t tell you,” Remus said, eyes downcast. James felt a surge of anger.

“WHY NOT? Why is everyone trying to hide things? Just tell me! No one will tell us anything! Well, I’m going to find out for myself. I’m going to find Harry.” James turned around and started running towards the door, not caring about himself or any others. Just Harry. He needed to see Harry.

Remus closed his eyes and sighed. He should have known. Harry and James were so much alike.

Lily was torn. She wanted to go with James, but she wanted to stay with Remus, also. Finally, she decided.

James ran down the halls, ignoring the startled looks of passersby and Nearly Headless Nick, who declared rather angrily, “Watch it!” and began muttering about how some people have no consideration, like James, like Malfoy, or like that Mr. Wensleydale in the cheese shop.

When James felt a hand on his shoulder, he whirled around furiously. “Don’t stop me!” he shot at Lily, who looked rather frightened. “I want to see Harry, and that’s all I want to do. I don’t care if I’m dead! I just want to know Harry!”

Lily stared right back, looking determined. “I know. And I feel the same way. I’m coming with you.” James, a bit startled, looked back quizzically at Lily. She tossed her chin back defiantly, as if challenging him.

And he accepted. Together, they faced a strange new obstacle. Together, they faced Voldemort, the one who murdered them. Together, they faced the world.

Squaring his jaw, James took a step forward, Lily next to him. Together, they would prevail.




Author’s Note: The end. What a happy ending, don’t you think? It’s just powerful and emotionally stirring. I like it so much; I think I’ll just end it there. No sequel or anything. What do you think? No, I’m kidding. This isn’t the end. It isn’t even the end of the chapter. I just think this is a good stopping place. Shall I stop? *Listens to moans and screams of people wanting to get on with the story* Fine. I will. But I really liked those last two paragraphs. And there is going to be a sequel- and a couple more chapters.



Snape hated Potter. Yes, he hated him more than he ever did, since that outfit incident in Potions. Oh, yes, he hated him.

Making his way up the staircase, he paused a moment, just to think of an awful way to torture James. No, the rack was too good for James. And he continued.

Not paying attention to where he was going, he ran into a gaudily dressed figure, who immediately said, “I predicted this would happen!”

Inwardly, he groaned. Trelawny. He’d been avoiding her for the past day, since that odd feeling he had had last time they’d met. And he was feeling it again…

“Sorry,” he said levelly, trying not to meet her in the eye. “I just… well… I… would you come down to the Potions room with me? I have to talk with you about something…” Why had he said that? He didn’t want to! Or did he…?

“I predicted this too. And, of course, I accepted. But be careful of the fist step down, Professor Snape! I foretold you would fall…”

But Snape didn’t mind this nonsense telling. He was, in fact, eating it up. Gallantly leading her down the steps, he almost became a different person.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


Professor Flitwick peered through the spindles of the staircase, small head barely brushing the railing. “It worked!” he crowed excitedly, calling down to the other teachers. “The love potion worked!”

Minerva McGonagall smiled, coming out from behind a door. “I thought it didn’t work! He didn’t appear to feel anything toward her when they met yesterday…”

Flitwick brushed this off with a wave of his hand. “Well, he loves her now. How wonderful this could be! Getting her out of our hair while Snape softens up… this was a truly ingenious plan!”

She nodded, patting her bun. “Now, how can we keep slipping it to him for the rest of his life?”

“You always worry about the obstacles Minerva- let’s not bother ourselves with that now. Just enjoy the peace,” he advised, making his way back to the classroom.

Reluctantly, Minerva agreed and went back to her classroom, feeling extremely freed of Trelawny. She must remember to keep close watch on the two lovebirds… She wanted a chance to tease Snape about his behavior towards Trelawny every living moment after the effects from the love potion wore away. She could hardly wait.

Another Author’s Note: Fast update, no? One more thing- special thanks to dumbly_door for being my beta! Everyone enjoy the Half Blood Prince!!!