Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry's our WHAT??? by Kelsid

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Remus flipped through the book, excitement welling in his chest. This was the answer. This could be it! Each yellowed page held so much potential… one of them would be the key to getting James and Lily back…

In his immersion of the book, Remus didn’t see a shadow cross over the open book. A very large shadow.

“Hello, Remus!” greeted Slughorn, buttons straining uncomfortably against his belly. Remus wanted to groan, but instead gave a smile.

“Hello, Professor Slughorn,” he said courteously, feeling the irrepressible urge to read the book. Professor Slughorn was their Potions teacher- an okay one, but he always seemed to ignore students that didn’t have connections or weren’t extraordinary at Potions. Remus qualified for both. Actually, he had a sneaking suspicion that the only reason why Slughorn knew his name was because he was a werewolf. The only reason Slughorn had found out in the first place was because he heard Madam Pomfrey and Dumbledore talking- much to Remus’s misfortune.

Now, whenever he was gone for the full moon, Slughorn would always comment, “It’s… that time again, isn’t it?” and shake his head sympathetically. Not only that, but Slughorn would always say- much to the horror of Remus and the delight of the Marauders- “You’re much too thin, Remus! Eat more!”

“Such a pity,” Slughorn began, shaking his head. “I can’t believe that James and Lily have disappeared. Lily was extraordinary at Potions, mind you.”

She still is, Remus thought, but kept his mouth closed. It’s not like she’s dead.

“I’m sure it’s taken a toll on all of you,” he continued, dabbing at his eyes. “Look at poor Black! Sobbing his heart out, no doubt.” He turned toward Sirius, who was sprawled on the table, snoring loudly.

“Yes,” agreed Remus. “He’s deeply and tragically upset at the moment. I think he needs some…”

“Time alone?” finished Slughorn. Glad that he took his meaning, Remus nodded gratefully. The Potions teacher sighed. “I see. I suppose I’ll leave now… classes to teach. But- one more thing, Remus…”

Remus turned dutifully toward Slughorn, hoping it wasn’t what he thought it was.

“You’re as thin as a rail! You must eat more.” And with that, Slughorn was gone.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


Harry turned the corner, praying not to find Ron or Hermione. Thankfully, there was no one in sight. Harry sunk down on his feet and closed his eyes. Everything was going wrong. Voldemort was still after him- Ron and Hermione refused to tell him anything… sometimes he just wished his parents were there.

Harry felt a little shock seep into him. He hadn’t admitted it, but that’s what he’d been feeling all along. He had just wanted his parents. Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon hardly qualified as being guardians, much less parents.

So maybe he hadn’t been feeling anger at them. Maybe it had just been at having to live with the Dursleys’. Having to live with the burden of being Harry Potter.

And Harry realized that he had to. He had to be Harry Potter. He had to bear the save the Wizarding World- because no one else could.

A few minutes before, Harry was a boy. Now, as he stood up and started walking, he was a man.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*



James and Lily walked carefully, side by side. Everyone stared at them, brows furrowed, wondering who these people were. The Hufflepuffs were kind enough to point out they were Sirius Lee James and Fern Evans, but an aura of mystery still surrounded them. Where did they come from? Why did they just get accepted into Hogwarts now? And why, pray tell, were they walking around the castle aimlessly?

But, we must correct the confused above. They weren’t walking aimlessly. No, they had a mission. And that mission was to find their son.

Harry Potter.

They held hands, searching. In that moment, they were closer together than ever. Lily would have never thought she would be with James, combing the castle thirty years in the future for James’s and her son. But weirder things have happened.

Like what? her subconscious asked her. Lily ignored this as she and James plowed on, going past the Charms classroom and rounding a corner.

BAM. Next thing Lily knew, she was sprawled out on the floor, rubbing her head. She and James had obviously run into someone. Great. James was already up and offering a hand to her. Accepting, she stood up, and came face to face with James.

Hold on. Wasn’t James by her side? She had to do a double take. Sure enough, James was at her side, and James was in front of her also.

Suddenly, it hit her. Surely… this couldn’t be… She studied the James in front of her more carefully. His nose was shorter, cheekbones less pronounced. His eyes weren’t hazel, like James’s. In fact, they were…

Green.

Green like hers.

She took a step back in shock, while James’s mouth seemed to be hanging open. Harry’s eyes were wide as he stared back at them.

Silence swallowed the hallway as the family just stared. The first sounds weren’t even from themselves; they were actually from Hermione, running up to Harry. “Harry, I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have-” she began, wringing her hands, looking up at him until her gaze drifted toward the time-travelers.

“Oh… no…” she breathed, looking hurriedly from Harry, to James, to Lily. “Oh, no, no, no! This wasn’t supposed to- Dumbledore will- Lupin will… What will everyone..?”

Luckily, before Hermione had a breakdown, Remus appeared from behind Harry and Hermione, Ron in tow. He looked them all over as their eyes met his questioningly.

Is it really our son? begged James’s and Lily’s, while Harry’s asked, This can’t be my parents… can they? Remus didn’t want to answer. But he had to.

“James… Lily… Harry…” he started. “Well… Harry… meet your parents.”

Harry looked up at Remus, as if for clarification. He nodded.

“So that’s… that’s why… That’s why Hermione and Ron were avoiding me?” Harry asked, looking across his two friend’s faces. They both nodded.

“And that means you’re… You’re my… um…” Harry started, but realized he was unable to finish as he looked at James and Lily.

James looked just as uncomfortable as Harry, while Lily had a soft expression in her green eyes. No one spoke. Thoughts and emotions seemed to flow openly, no need for words to express them. Remus viewed the scene, a small smile playing on his lips while Hermione had begun to sniffle a bit. She leaned her head against Ron’s as he stroked her hair subconsciously, grinning widely at the scene.

Finally, James had the nerve to speak up. Tearing his eyes off Harry, and managing to look at everyone surrounding them, he gave a sort of wobbly smile. “This is the most bloody weird thing that’s ever happened to me,” he mumbled, and everyone cheered.


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*



Trembling, Remus eased his finger down the paper.

Post

Postab

Posthac

Posthac Ab

Unable to suppress a cry of glee, Remus jumped out of his seat and began to shake Sirius furiously. “I found it!” he cried, ignoring Sirius’s groans of protest. “I found the spell!” He heard a clock ring 4:00… had they really been looking that long? But no matter- they’d found the spell.

At those words, Sirius seemed to awaken completely as he darted out of his chair and skimmed the page. “Posthac Ab… was that the spell?” he asked, turning to Remus. The werewolf nodded as Sirius let out a loud whoop.

“Well, let’s perform it then!” he cried, tearing his wand out of his pocket.

“I don’t think that’s the best idea-” Remus warned him, but it was too late. In a flash of blue light, the Marauders were gone.

Author’s Note: I think this might be the penultimate chapter… but I don’t know. Boy, I sound very organized, don’t I? No, I’m positive it is. Okay, 99%. Does that give you a good clue? I hope you’re enjoying the story, blah blah blah, let’s get to my main points here- Thank to dumbly_door for beta-ing again, and does anyone know what happened to Vincent Van Gogh’s ear after he lopped it off and sent it to his girlfriend? Is it buried in his grave? Is it in a museum? One last note- This is NOT the last chapter. One more left. So keep hanging in there!