Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Summer in Between by brunahilda171

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Disclaimer I don't own Harry Potter, no matter how much I wish I did. JK Rowling does. Got it?

A/N: Hello again! I'm happy to say that I think this fic is going wonderfully so far. I forgot to credit my "editors" in the last chapter, so here goes: Natalie, Ainsley, and LeeAnn, thank you sooooo much for reading my story and helping me make it better!! :) Enjoy!

I tried desperately to keep myself preoccupied for the rest of the day. When reading Hogwarts, A History didn’t work, I started my Potions homework for the summer. That just depressed me, though, because it made me think of Snape. I shivered involuntarily and chucked my potions book across the room. It crashed against the wall and hit the floor with a loud thud.

I sat still for a few minutes, sighing and feeling sorry for myself. This was the worst summer ever. I don’t know how long it was before I heard someone pounding on the door. “Ginny, are you in there?” Lupin’s voice called from the other side of the door.

“Oh, yeah, you can come in,” I responded hurriedly. I saw the doorknob turn and a second later Lupin was standing there, holding a broom in his left hand.

“I know Tonks already told you, but we’re going to get Harry now,” he informed me. It was all I could do not to gape at him.

“Wh-what are you talking about? I had no idea”” I stammered, trying to sound convincing.

“You’re a terrible liar, Ginny. I know Tonks told you. She wasn’t being especially subtle about it,” he replied. He looked quite amused. “You might as well admit it.”

Before I could stop myself, I blurted, “You’re not mad, are you?”

He laughed. It was the first time I had heard him laugh since Sirius died, and it sounded kind of hollow and hoarse. I assumed he hadn’t laughed for a while. “No, I’m not mad.”

There was an awkward silence for a minute before I mumbled, “Well, you should probably be on your way then.” I hoped Tonks didn’t get in trouble, although I highly doubted it. I didn’t think Lupin was the sort of person to get mad about something like what Tonks had done. He probably realized she was only trying to cheer me up and keep me from boring myself to death.

“Yes, we probably should. We’ll be back in an hour or so,” he said, still smiling in a slightly amused way.


The next hour was even more interminable than the whole day. I was really excited to see Harry again”No! that couldn’t be it! Why did my brain, along with everyone else, act like I had a crush on Harry when I knew it wasn’t true?

I groaned loudly. The door opened at that exact moment. Why are people always barging in when I wanted to be left alone? I thought bitterly. That thought confused me even more. I thought I wanted someone around!

“Hey, Ginny, are you all right?” Hermione asked worriedly. She sounded exactly like my mother. I just nodded as she walked over to her bed and laid back on it. Now that Hermione was here, I just wished she’d go away.

Seeing that I wasn’t about to initiate a conversation, Hermione tried to start one. “I’m really tired,” she stated offhandedly. “I’m not sure why, I’ve just been sitting around inside all day.”

“Snogging takes a lot of energy,” I retorted.

“What”Ginny, what are you talking about?” she asked, blushing slightly.

“That’s what you and Ron are doing, Hermione.” She started to protest but I cut her off. “Don’t try to lie to me. I know you two have fancied each other for a long time.”

She shook her head. “That’s not true. We’re only talking,” she insisted. From the way she flicked her eyes around I could tell she was lying.

I snorted and rolled my eyes. “You and Ron never talk! Why did that suddenly change?” I demanded. “All you ever used to do was argue. You two are always having a row over something, normally something stupid. All of a sudden you’re talking to him constantly.”

She glared at me in a way I had she’d looked at Ron millions of times before. “The reason I talk to him is because he doesn’t think I’m a liar and he’s happy to see me, unlike some people.” Her eyes shining with tears, she stormed out of the room, slamming the door shut behind her. I heard her burst into tears a few feet away from the door, and from the loud thump it sounded like she’d stopped and leaned against the wall. She was acting so different than she normally did! I felt like I was going to cry. Why had I talked to Hermione like that? I wanted company!

I heard footsteps then Ron’s voice saying, “What’s wrong, Hermione?” He actually sounded concerned. Ron never normally wasn’t able to understand others’ feelings and, although he asked them what was wrong, he normally couldn’t find a way to help out.

“It’s”it’s Ginny!” Hermione sobbed in a small voice. “We just had a fight.” I couldn’t hear the rest.

I wish I had some extendable ears, I thought. I want to know what they’re saying!

I gave up soon, leaning against the headboard of my bed and willing myself not to cry. That didn’t work; I started to sob almost immediately. I must have fallen asleep, because the next thing I knew, I heard the front door slamming. Harry was here.

I had completely lost my enthusiasm for anything. I wanted to go back to sleep, then wake up with everything how it used to be. Hermione and I would still be best friends and Ron would be insensitive and completely indifferent to what we were doing. Why, oh why couldn’t life be normal?!

Reluctantly I stood up and trudged to the bathroom, making sure I didn’t look too bad. To my surprise, my face wasn’t puffy or red at all. Tonks knocked on the door, saying, “Ginny? Did you know Harry’s here?”

“Yeah. I did,” I replied unenthusiastically, opening the door. I must have looked very sad, because Tonks’s smile fell immediately.

“What’s wrong?” she asked. “Did you and Hermione have a row?” I nodded, sighing.

“It’ll all be cleared up. Stop worrying! Let’s go see Harry. Come on!” She grabbed my hand like I was a five-year-old and pulled me down the steps. I moaned and groaned the whole way, but she completely ignored it.

Tonks dragged me to the kitchen door. She shoved me in first, then followed behind me.

Harry was standing awkwardly by the door while my mum fussed over him. “Oh, Harry, you’re so skinny! Haven’t they been feeding you?” she asked, hugging him so tightly I doubted he could breathe.

When Mum let go of him he finally spotted me. “Uh”hi, Ginny,” he greeted me. He looked really sad and tired, but came over and shook my hand. I tried my hardest not to jump noticeably when he did so. Why did I flinch at Harry’s touch?

What the hell is going on? I wondered. I hope I wake up soon. I want to get out of this terrible dream!

It felt like he held on to my hand for hours. Half of me wanted him to let go, but the other half wasn’t so sure. When he finally let go of my hand and went over to Lupin, I found myself getting slightly resentful. Tonks whispered in my ear, “Show him to his rooms. He likes you, Ginny. Take advantage of it!” I looked at her, barely concealing my shock. That was completely impossible!

And I thought my life couldn’t get any weirder, I mused.


Harry disengaged himself from his conversation with Lupin and came back to me. “Erm”will you help me carry my trunk up the steps?” He asked uneasily.

I looked over at Tonks, thinking she’d offer to take it up the stairs for us. After all, she wasn’t underage. She could use magic and make the whole task easier for all of us. All she did was wink and smile, which completely vexed me.

“Sure,” I agreed, blushing slightly. I was glad my hair covered my bright red ears. I picked up one end of the trunk and stumbled. It was heavy. He picked up the other end, and between the two of us we somehow managed to get it up the stairs.

“What do you have in here, Harry?” I asked jokingly, trying to start some small talk.

He shrugged, looking really miserable. Being here obviously made him think of Sirius. “Just… normal stuff,” he replied. “Lots of books for all my homework.”

Seeing Harry so sad made me feel terrible. He was normally happier than this. I wouldn’t go as far as to say that he was always happy and cheery, but he just seemed so gloomy. I could barely stand it. Why does it bother me so much? I wondered.

After much effort, we got Harry’s trunk into his room. I sat down on the edge of his bed, panting. He stood at the foot of his bed looking at me, a strange look in his eyes, and sat down next to me. We sat in silence for a while, before I realized with a start how close he was sitting to me. Our legs were touching, and my leg tingled in the spot where he touched it. My heart was thumping loudly in my chest; I hoped he couldn’t hear it.

He turned to me and stared me straight in the eyes. I had a feeling there was something he wanted to tell me. I had no idea what, or rather, the ideas that came to my head I shunned immediately. Harry is not in love with me, I told myself for the millionth time, trying to make myself believe it. The look only made my heart beat faster and more loudly; now I was positive he could hear it.

“I missed you, Ginny,” he finally said, wrapping his arms around me and hugging me tightly. I was stunned by the strange gesture, but I hugged him back. The sensation I had was different than I ever had before in my life. The feeling was good and bad at the same time; I had no idea that was possible. Only a second passed before I head the door creak open. The two of us jumped apart, startled. I turned toward the door, seeing who had come in without knocking. Tonks was standing in the doorway. She coughed.

“I hope I’m not interrupting anything…” she trailed off. “Harry, you just left Hedwig’s cage in the kitchen.” She placed the cage on the floor next to his door and straightened, looking awkward but not really embarrassed.

“Thanks, Tonks,” Harry managed to say.

“I’ll leave you two alone now,” Tonks said smugly, walking out and shutting the door behind her. I sat on the bed like a fish out of water. I was suddenly completely uncomfortable. All I wanted was to be out of this room, to sit by myself and think.

“Harry, I”well, I’ll see you at dinner. I’ve got to go.” I practically ran out of the room, stumbling down the hall into my room. I wrenched the door open and was about to grab my book, but I never got that far.

What I saw made me stop dead in my tracks.



A/N: I hope you liked it! Now review!!!!!