Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Best (And Worst) Times by SingingBird

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Ch 1: A Beginning and Ending

It was after lunch one day in early December. Nobody really wanted to go outside in the bitter temperatures for Care of Magical Creatures. Snow had been falling lightly for the past hour and there was now an inch of snow on the ground. Ron felt his breath catch in his throat, and it wasn’t from the cold. He had just seen one of the most beautiful things ever. As the snowflakes fell from the sky above they settled in the girl’s beautiful hair making it appear that she was wearing miniscule diamonds in it. Ron was surprised no one else had noticed. To him, the girl was the only thing worth looking at. All throughout the period he kept glancing at her. Finally the bell rang and it was time to go back inside. Harry had noticed him staring at the girl and was teasing him about her. Ron thought about turning around and punching Harry but refrained from doing it as he didn’t want her to think he was a rude bully, or something to that effect, so he contented himself with giving Harry a long, harsh glare, which shut him up automatically. When the girl turned to go to a different class, he followed her, making up a stupid excuse as to why Harry shouldn’t follow him. If the girl noticed him following her, she paid him no notice. All she was worried about right then was an owl she had gotten this morning from one of her old Muggle friends. The bell rang but neither noticed it; they were both too caught up in their own thoughts. Ron knew that he had to wait for the perfect moment to talk to her or all would be lost. The hall was finally clear, even the people who were always late were gone. Ron had no idea what to do now that he was alone with the girl. After a moments pause, he suddenly ran up to her, grabbed her shoulders, and kissed her.

Hermione was stunned for a few seconds after he broke away. Was this really Ron Weasley kissing her? Why would he do that? Did Harry put him up to it? Deciding that he was doing this on his own accord, she leaned in and softly returned the kiss.

Ron was so happy about this turn of events that he nearly jumped for joy. After all that had happened that day this was the first thing that had gone right!

“Oh, Ron,” Hermione breathed resting her head on his chest. After a moment she pushed away from him.

Ron was floored! All he could do was say blankly, “You’re crying,” as she brushed away the tears that were pouring down her face.

“I’m so sorry but this can’t continue,” Hermione sobbed.

“What? Why?” Ron was bewildered. Was it something he had done?

“I’m not free to love you,” she replied so softly that Ron had to lean in to hear her.

“Who’s your boyfriend? Is it Krum?” Ron asked a bit more harshly than he intended.

“No! I never really went out with him in the first place. Besides, its nothing like that,” Hermione responded with more tears.

“Well, what is it then?” Ron questioned irritably

“I’m not free to love you or anyone else for that matter,” Hermione cried.

“Why not?” Ron asked in a shaking voice.

“You wouldn’t be able to understand even if I told you. I’m so sorry Ron. I always thought it would be over by this time. I wish I could just go back and fix what I did,” Hermione answered.

“What did you do?” Ron asked in a voice laden with pain, very much unlike his own

“I’ve got to go,” she replied as she turned to leave.

“Hermione, wait.” Ron grabbed her arm gently.

“I’m so sorry Ron but I can’t…even if I wanted to I still can’t…but I do…this isn’t helping anything, I still can’t…If only I hadn’t gotten this letter or if things had changed, but they didn’t…I’m so sorry Ron…I wish-”

What Hermione wished would be forever lost to Ron as she turned and fled down the corridor towards Gryffindor tower with tears streaming down her face. Ron was left heart broken in the same spot watching after her.

Ron just stood there for a while trying to think of what had caused this drastic change. He came to the conclusion that he hadn’t waited for the right time. All that had happened point to this except the fact that Hermione had kissed him back. After some time he gave up and turned with his head bowed and walked out onto the snowy grounds. Perhaps if he had seen what the girl crying up in her dorm was holding he wouldn’t have done what he did next. Unfortunately, he did not so he continued walking.