Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

I'll Hate You Forever (I Think) by kris250

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
James scooped Lily up in his arms. Her fiery red hair tumbled around her shoulders. James couldn’t help but notice how perfectly it framed her delicate, pale face. He was surprised at how light she was in his arms. He quickly ran up the stairs, taking care to not bounce her around too much. James carefully laid her out on the bed as his mum and Alex burst in.

“Thank you, James.” Mrs. Potter said. “If you wouldn’t mind, I’d prefer you two to wait outside the room, please.”

“I’d like to stay with her,” Alex said stubbornly. Her normally pretty face was drawn with worry.

James gently grabbed her by the arm and guided her out the door. “Come on,” he said. Surprisingly, Alex didn’t object. James closed the door behind them and leaned against the wall. “Mum likes to work alone,” he explained.

Alex nodded. “I just hope Lily’s okay.” She said.

“Don’t worry,” James assured her. “Mum’s a top Healer at St. Mungos. If anyone can help Lily, she can. The one thing I can’t understand is why Lily fainted like that in the first place. I mean, sure the attack was bad, and a lot of people were killed, but that isn’t a good reason to just collapse like that.”

Alex shook her head, her blond locks shaking. “No, you don’t understand. Lily’s entire family was at that hospital. Now, her only living relative is a sister who hates her.”

James’s eyes went wide. Under his breath, he muttered, “Bloody mother of…” He let himself slide down the wall. Just then, Sirius and Remus came up the stairs. Sirius went right up to Alex, who was crying once again.

“Is she alright?” Remus asked concernedly.

“I don’t know,” James muttered.

~

Lily slowly opened her eyes to reveal a blurry world. A woman was standing above her, mixing a potion. “Mum?” Lily asked blearily.

The woman bit her lip and looked at Lily with saddened eyes. “No.”

Slowly, the woman came into focus, and Lily remembered the events of the past few hours. “Mrs. Potter.” Lily said quietly, turning her head away. A solitary tear ran down her cheek.

“I’m sorry, dear.” Mrs. Potter said.

“It’s not your fault. Don’t be sorry. I would like to be alone, though.” Lily said heavily.

Mrs. Potter nodded sadly. “Of course. Just drink this potion. I’ll have a House Elf bring up your meals for however long you need.” She set the potion on the bedside table and walked out of the room.

The moment the door closed behind her, Mrs. Potter was bombarded with questions.

“Is she okay?”

“Is she awake?”

“Can I see her?”

Mrs. Potter sighed. “Lily’s fine. She just needs some time alone.”

The four children nodded in understanding.

~

The next two weeks passed by quickly. Alex and Sirius disappeared in the many Potter gardens quite frequently. Remus continued to ‘tutor’ James, as Lily had not been seen by anyone besides the House Elves since that day. James used to try to break in to Lily’s room just to see her, but was caught by Mrs. Potter every time. Eventually, Mrs. Potter had to post a House Elf on guard at Lily’s bedroom door, so James gave up breaking in.

~

James lay in his bed, trying to sleep, but was finding it quite impossible. He finally sat up and stared out the window, until it hit him. The window! Careful to not make a noise, James walked over to his closet. His Silver Arrow was in the broom shed on the Potter Quidditch Pitch, but his old Shooting Star should be… Yes! James triumphantly pulled a broom out of the closet and mounted it. Flying over to the window, he undid the latch and entered the cool night air. The crescent moon was out, illuminating the sides of Potter Manor.

Luckily, Lily had opened her window for some fresh air, so James flew in and landed softly beside her bed.

Her red locks covered her face. Almost afraid to touch her and ruin the serene picture, James reached out with a hesitant hand and brushed them behind her ears. Lily’s delicate features were at peace as she slept on.

James lost track of how long he sat there, just staring at Lily while visions of his past ran through his head. He saw Lily slap him with a furry paw. Lily standing in her room, in the middle of changing her shirt. Lily falling out of the fireplace and into his arms. Lily calling him James for the first time in three years. Lily’s face as she yelled at him by the lake. Lily collapsing in the dining hall.

He sat there until the first rays of the sun peaked in on them, waking James up out of his reverie. James knew he should be getting back into his own room before someone discovered him, but he couldn’t seem to pull himself away from Lily’s sleeping form. ‘This is probably the only time Lily will look that much at peace while I’m around, and that’s only because she doesn’t know I’m here,’ he thought mournfully. He smiled sadly at her, and stood up. About to leave, James looked at Lily one last time. Something about her called to him, and he bent over her. “Feel better soon, Lily,” he murmured. Almost on a whim, James laid a gentle kiss on Lily’s forehead.

Lily stirred in her bed. Panicking, James mounted his broom and flew out of the window and into the morning.

~

Lily rubbed her eyes sleepily. What had woken her up? She smiled and recalled her rapidly fading dream. All she could remember was a dark stranger standing near her. Lily didn’t know who he was, but she didn’t mind. His presence was soothing and calm, and Lily had felt… content. Loved. She smiled once more and snuggled farther into bed, hoping for more dreams of her dark mystery man.