Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

I'll Hate You Forever (I Think) by kris250

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Lily awoke the next morning with a firm determination to stop mourning. Her family, with the exception of Petunia, would not want her to waste her life away like this.



Lily dragged herself out of bed and groaned as the ache of barely used limbs were put to work. She turned to look in the mirror. Lily’s already big emerald eyes widened in shock at what she saw. Was the person in the mirror really her? The girl in front of her had blood-shot eyes, a gaunt face, matted hair, and a haunted look about her. She turned away and shook her head to rid herself of the sorry image.



After a long, hot, and refreshing shower, Lily threw on some fresh robes and risked another glance in the mirror. She looked better, but still a tad bit depressed.



Lily took a deep breath, and opened her bedroom door.



As she entered the dining hall, a hush fell over the occupants already eating breakfast. Alex was the first to recover. “Lily!” She exclaimed in delight. “It’s so good to see you again!”



Lily smiled. “It’s good to see you, too.” She gathered up her courage and said, “I just want to thank you all for understanding what I was going through, and I’m sorry that I’ve been such a bother these past two weeks.”



Mrs. Potter smiled softly. “It was no trouble at all, Lily dear.”



Lily gave her a gratified smile, and took a seat next to Alex.

The normal breakfast noises returned to the dining hall, with clanging plates and “Can you pass the-”s.



After a few moments, Lily asked, “Where’s Potter?”



Remus, who had overheard, said, “I don’t know. He’s usually up by now. He probably had a late night or something.”



How right he was.



~



When James got back to his room from visiting Lily, all the tiredness he had kept at bay hit him. He barely had enough time to collapse on his bed before sleep took him at last.



James woke up around noon. Dragging himself out of bed, James put on some new robes and walked down to the kitchens. After accepting a piece of toast from the House Elves, James visited the gardens. He sat down with his back against a broad oak tree and ate his breakfast.



When he was done, he looked at the sky as peaceful thoughts ran through his head, and barely noticed when someone was standing before him.





“Potter?” A sweet voice asked. James looked to the side and saw a figure framed by the golden sun. She looked every bit the angel she was.



“Lily!” He exclaimed in surprise.



She smiled. “Can I sit down?”



He nodded. She sat down, her shoulder leaning against his. “I- we’d begun to worry about you. Sirius wondered if you were going to get out in time for school.”



Lily nodded. “I’d been wondering that, too. School starts in a few days, doesn’t it?”



“Four.” James said. “We’re going to Diagon Alley in three days.”



“That’s nice.” Lily said. A few silent moments passed. “These gardens are really beautiful.”



James nodded. “I know. I used to spend all my time in here when I was little. When I was really little, I used to run around naked, day after day.”



Lily laughed. “That would have been a sight to see.” James’s eyebrows rose. Her eyes widened in horror at the implication of what she had just said sunk in. “I mean- what I meant was- it would have been funny- seeing you as a kid- well, not you exactly, but a little boy-”



It was James’s turn to laugh. “It’s okay. I know what you mean.”



A few moments passed again, this time more comfortable.

Lily took a deep breath. “Listen, Potter. The real reason I came here was to thank you.”



“For what?” James asked, confused.



“For giving me a place to stay without notice. For generally respecting my privacy. For understanding my need to be alone.”



“Anyone would have done that,” James protested.



Lily held up a hand. “I’m not finished.” She said firmly. “I came here expecting to find the arrogant, cocky boy I left at Kings Cross Station, but when I got here, I found... you. A you that’s kind and considerate, and always willing to lend a hand- sometimes literally. So I wanted to tell you that, well, I’m willing to forget these past five years if you are, and start over fresh.” She looked at him nervously. “So, do you want to?” She asked.



James nodded, not trusting his voice.



Lily smiled, and held out a delicate hand. “Lily Evans, Hogwarts’s Gryffindor Prefect.”



James regained his voice and said, “James Potter, resident trouble-maker.”



Lily grinned and stood up, as James did. “See you later... James.” She turned and walked towards the house.

As soon as the doors closed behind her, James fell onto the ground in happy bliss. “Yes!” he whispered. “Thank you, Remus.”



~



“Come on, Lily!” Alex said. “We’re almost there!”



“Almost where?!” Lily asked.



Alex smiled mischievously. “You’ll see.”



Lily sighed in exasperation, but continued to follow Alex. They reached a large wooden oak door, and Alex turned to face Lily. Keeping a straight face, she said, “Young lady, I’ve noticed that you have been very depressed lately. And as you’re my best friend, it’s my duty to cheer you up before school starts. So I have something for you that you’ve always enjoyed.” Alex flung open the door. With a wide smile, she said, “Cooking!”



Lily gasped as she looked around her. The spacious kitchen was filled with every wizarding appliance imaginable. The icebox was filled to the brim with food and ingredients. She ran in, and started touching everything in sight.



Alex looked on proudly. “I had Mrs. Potter give the kitchen House Elves other things to do for a few hours.”



Lily looked up at her, eyes shining. “Really! You mean we can bake whatever we want?”



Alex nodded. Lily squealed in delight and threw her arms around her. “Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!”



Alex laughed. “Well, let’s get started!”



~



An hour later, cookies laid out in dozens, steaming with heat, and the smell in the room alone was enough to fill your stomach. Lily stood across the table from Alex, attempting to shake flour into a large bowl. “It. Won’t. Come. OUT!” She yelled. Lily gave it one more jerk.



The white flour blew out of the bag and hit Alex in the face. Both of their mouths opened in shock. “You- LILY!” Alex yelled.



“I’m sorry!” Lily said quickly. “It just flew out of there like-”

Her words were cut off as a handful of sugar hit her in the chest. “ALEX!” Lily grabbed some more flour, and soon the air was filled with flying white powder.



~



James had been flying around the Quidditch pitch with the Remus and Sirius when a sudden hunger pain hit him. “You hungry?” He yelled out. They nodded quickly.



They flew down to the house and jogged towards the kitchens, since dinner was too far away to wait. As James approached the door, wonderful smells hit his nose and he smiled. The House Elves must have been cooking lately.

He opened the door and barged in, when large white missile hit him full in the face. “What the-!”



The two girls in there took notice of him and their fun came to an abrupt halt. Lily now resembled a slim snowman. “James!” she shouted, Alex’s eyebrows rising in surprise. “What are you doing here?”



“Getting some food.” Sirius answered.



“I- I’m sorry! I didn’t know you were there!”



James smiled wickedly. “So you hit me?”



Lily nodded guiltily, looking at the floor.



James deftly grabbed a pile of flour sitting by him, and hurled it at his attacker. Lily’s mouth dropped open as a new white spot appeared on her clothes. “JAMES!”



“Yes?” He said, smirking.



“You- you-” Lily sputtered. Suddenly, she smiled as well, and grabbed some more flour. Her aim was off, and she hit Remus.



“LILY!” He yelled.



Soon the war was in full swing once more, and Lily found herself ducking behind overturned tables. Alex and Sirius had teamed up with each other. Suddenly, another body fell towards her. “James?” She asked. Lily was lying on the floor, and James was on top of her, his arms holding him up.



“Lily?” He asked. They were barely recognizable under the many layers of dust.



Lily started giggling. “You have this big glob on your cheek,” she said.



“Where?” He asked, and rubbing at his cheek. This only spread it around.



Lily sighed in fake exasperation. “Her, let me get it for you.” She reached up and rubbed it off. He stayed there, looking at her.



After a few moments, Lily said quietly, “James?”



“Yeah?”



“Um... you can get off me now.”



James’s cheeks reddened, and he scrambled off of Lily. He helped her get back up to her feet.



The war had seemed to die off, since James and Lily had been preoccupied, Alex and Sirius were... also preoccupied, and Remus had no one to hit.



Sirius came up for air, and noticed everyone looking at him. “What?” He asked.



Remus just shook his head and looked away. Alex gulped and bit her lip with embarrassment. “That was fun.” She said.



Lily gave her a strange look.



Seeing that, Alex explained. “The war, I mean. It was fun.”



James smirked. “I’m sure it was.”



~



The next day, Lily, Alex, Sirius, Remus, and the Potters went shopping in Diagon Alley. Lily and Alex had great fun seeing Alice again. Peter met the other Marauders there, and they spent most of the day at various Quidditch and prank stores. At the end of the day, everyone who was staying at the Potter’s said goodbye to his or her friends.



They all went home late that nigh, and slept soundly, before they were awoken by Mrs. Potter on September first.