Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

I'll Hate You Forever (I Think) by kris250

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The morning at the Potter’s was quite hectic, with everyone running up and down the stairs enough times to qualify as a full-fledged workout. Finally, everyone piled into the Ministry cars that Mr. Potter had been able to rent by pulling a few strings. The large group arrived at the Kings Cross Station with just minutes to spare.

The five sixth years barreled in through the barrier, panting. They boarded the train, just as it began to move.

Lily walked by through the aisle, looking in the windows of the compartments. “Here’s Alice!” She announced. She slid the door open and stepped in, Alex at her heels.

James looked after her and sighed to himself. He had hoped that they would sit together.

“Peter, buddy!” Sirius exclaimed. He stepped into the compartment across the corridor, Remus following him. James took one last glance at the door Lily had just closed and followed his friends.

~

“Hi Lily, Alex.” Alice said with a smile.

“Haven’t seen you since... yesterday.” Alex said sarcastically.

The two girls sat down.

Alice leaned forwards. “So, how was your summer Lily? We never talked about it yesterday. Did you and Alex stay at your parents for most of it?”

Lily’s face fell immediately. Turning away and biting her lip, she said quietly, “My parents were- were killed.”

Alice’s eyes popped open. “What! How? When?”

Sensing that Lily wasn’t going to answer, Alex said simply and effectively, “Voldemort.”

Alice’s turned to Lily. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to upset you.”

Lily nodded sadly. “It’s okay. You didn’t know.”

A few quiet and awkward moments passed. “Well, what did you do this summer?” Alice asked.

Alex smiled. “We went to the Potter’s. By the end, Lily and James were looking pretty cozy...”

Alice’s mouth dropped open, and said, “WHAT?” at the same time Lily protested, “Were not!”

Alex smiled mischievously. “Oh, come on. You know you like him.”
“Do not!”

“Yes, you do!” Alex insisted. “I saw the way you two were looking at each other after the food fight.”

“We’re just friends!” Lily said hotly.

“Are not.” Alex said.

Lily rolled her eyes.

“Now this I have to hear.” Alice said eagerly.

Alex filled her in on all the details of the summer while Lily sulked in the corner.

~

“So, what did you guys do over the summer?” Peter asked.

“Alex and Lily stayed a while,” James said.

Peter’s mouth dropped open. “No way! Lily?”

James grinned foolishly and nodded.

Peter shook his head. “Gee, I’m surprised you’re still alive.”

James frowned at him.

Sirius rolled his eyes at this exchange. “Oy, Prongs. Stop acting like a love-sick puppy.” James loudly protested as Sirius, ignoring him, went on. “While Prongs here wasn’t busy making googly eyes at Lily, we worked on our new start-of-the-year prank.”

Peter jumped up and down in his seat. “Oooo! What is it? Tell me!” Remus gave him a strange look.

“Well, you see, it involves Snape...”

~

After the Sorting was over, Dumbledore stood up. “Before we begin our delicious feast, I would like to say a few words. As many of you have undoubtedly noticed, there is a dark force gaining power in our world. I would like to inform you that Hogwarts is one of the safest places you can be during these times. However, let me assure you that we have taken steps to ensure your safety. The curfew is now up to nine o’clock at night, and you must stay in your common rooms or dormitories until seven in the morning. If your personal safety is at risk, we will go to more extreme measures to protect you. All of our actions are made for your sake, so we ask that you do not complain about the effect these precautions will have on you. Thank you. Now, without further ado, please dig in!”

The plates in front of the students magically filled as the new first years looked on in wonder.

Sirius took Dumbledore’s words to heart, and was shoveling food into his mouth at an alarming rate.

Remus, however, was staring at his watch. He smacked James on the shoulder. “Ten seconds.” He muttered.

James pulled Sirius’s plate away from him, and Sirius got a mouthful of air.
“Hey!” he protested. “What’s the big idea?”

“Ten seconds.” James said quietly, not taking his eyes off of the Slytherin table.

Sirius mouth made a small ‘o’ in understanding, and he watched as well.
“Three...” Remus said.

Under the eyes of the Marauders, Snape started shifting uncomfortably in his seat. Suddenly, he jumped up and began smacking his bottom. “HOT! HOT! HOT!” He shouted.

A voice filled the Great Hall, supplied by Sirius’s wand. “The Marauders are-”
“HOT!” Snape shouted.

The formerly silent Great Hall burst out in laughter. The voice continued to repeat, “The Marauders are-”

And Snape continued to answer, “HOT!”

After a few minutes, Dumbledore stood up while biting down a smile. He conjured a bucket of water and dumped it on Snape’s bottom. The Invisible Non-Burning Fire (from Zonkos, supplied by James) went out immediately.
Sirius silenced his wand. “Will James Potter, Sirius Black, Remus Lupin, and Peter Pettigrew please report to my office immediately following the feast?” The way Professor McGonagall said it, this was no question. Sirius nodded at her, somewhat cockily, and the feast resumed.

~

“I am very displeased with the way you have started the year out... again.” Mcgonagall said. “Therefore, I am assigning each of you detentions for this Friday night. Separate ones, as usual.”

The Marauders all nodded.

“You are dismissed.”

They turned.

“Actually, James, could you stay behind for a few minutes?”

The other Marauders gave him looks of pity, and James approached McGonagall’s desk. “Yes, Professor?”

“I received your owl this summer.”

James nodded. “Good.”

“You truly wish to switch from Seeker to Chaser, then?”

James nodded again.

“Very well. You’re going to have to take that up with your captain, though.”

“And who is that this year?”

There was a strange twinkle in McGonagall’s eye. “You ”

James’s eyes lit up. “Really?” He asked.

Mcgonagall nodded. James let out a whoop and ran for the door. His hand was on the doorknob, when a voice came behind him.

“James? It’s your choice, but you did make one bloody good Seeker.” James turned back to his Professor in shock, but she was bent over her desk. “Do have a good night.”

James just shook his head, and exited her office.

~

The next morning, breakfast flowed smoothly. Slowly, students filtered out to their first classes. The rest of the Marauders had gone up to their rooms to fetch their books, and James was alone, mulling over his schedule. Suddenly, a person stepped into his light. James looked up. “What do you want, Snivellus?” He sneered.

Snape ignored the name. “I know it was you at the feast last night, Potter.”

James let out a snort. “Oh, really? You are a bright one, aren’t you? Don’t miss a thing.”

Snape scowled at him. “That’s not the point, Potter.”

“Then what is the point?”

“The point is, now that I have nothing holding me down, I won’t hesitate to get you back.”

James snorted again. “Oh really? What could you ever do to me?”

“Just wait and see.”

James rolled his eyes.

Snape sneered cruelly. “By the way, I’ve been meaning to ask you, how has your Mudblood girlfriend been doing lately?”

James stiffened, and slowly said, “What are you talking about?”

“I think you know,” Snape said evilly.

James glanced at Lily, who was laughing at something Alex said at the other end of the table. “If you touch one hair on her head...” James said in a low and deadly voice.

Snape sneered at him one last time, and strode out of the Hall, leaving a bristling James behind him, glaring at the doors. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw someone appear at his side.

“James? What’s the matter?” Lily laid a hand on his arm. James glanced down to see her looking up at him with wide, questioning eyes.

“It’s nothing,” he said thickly. “Nothing at all.”

Ignoring her concerned eyes, James pulled away and said, “See you in class, Lily.”