Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

I'll Hate You Forever (I Think) by kris250

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Sirius kicked the floor in pent up anger, causing several of the surrounding studying students to glare at him, only to have their eyes dart back when they realized who he was. ‘Where IS James? That bloke was supposed to meet me here in the common room fifteen minutes ago! Where could he be?’ They had been planning to raid Professor Slughorn’s Potions cabinet during the school’s staff meeting to get some of the ingredients James needed for his ‘secret project.’

Sirius frowned and racked his brains. James had left the Gryffindor Tower early, he was sure of that, and came back looking all nervous to tell Alex and Alice something about Evans. ‘Isn’t she in the Hospital Wing or something? That’s probably where I’ll find James,’ Sirius thought. ‘The poor guy doesn’t even realize how smitten he really is.’

Sirius quickly walked out of the common room, much to the relief of his distracted peers, and headed for the Hospital Wing. On his way, he spotted a group of pretty Hufflepuff girls passing by, and flashed them his trademark smile. The girls visibly swooned, and Stephanie Robins accidentally ran right into a miffed suit of armor as she tried (and failed) to catch his eye. Sirius chuckled to himself as soon as he was out of hearing range. It worked every time. ‘Who cares if I’m attached? I’ve still got it.’

He finally arrived at the entrance to the Hospital Wing, trying to decide whether to take Alex to the Three Broomsticks or the newly opened Madam Pudifoot’s on their upcoming first Hogsmeade visit.

But all of those thoughts drained out of his mind at once, as he stood frozen in the doorway, a horrible scene in front of him. Two boys (he could only assume that they were James and some nasty Slytherin git) were throwing punches at each other while rolling around on the floor.

But what really made his blood turn into liquid ice was the terrible sight of his demented cousin standing over a weak, and obviously terrified Evans, wearing a maniacal grin that he remembered all too well.

After a few moments, he finally regained control of his senses, and he grabbed for his wand as Bellatrix raised hers, hoping that he wasn’t too late.
“Stupefy!” Sirius roared. A jet of red light shot out of his wand and hit his shocked cousin squarely in the chest. She fell onto the floor with a thud. He had gotten her just in time. Being the idiot that she was born to be, Bellatrix had savored her moment of power over Lily for just a tad too long. His thoughts turned to Lily. Had Bellatrix been able to do anything beforehand? If so, he would only blame himself. “Evans, are you all right? Did she do anything to you?” Serious for once, Sirius was plainly anxious.

Lily took a deep and shaky breath. “I- I’m fine. You stunned her before she could do anything. But Ja- Potter...” She gestured exasperatedly towards James, who was still tumbling around the room, gaining steadily on Snape.

Sirius looked on nervously, obviously wondering about how to break up the fight between them, before the staff meeting was over.

Lily saw this, and said, “Just hand me my wand. It’s on the table over there.”

Sirius nodded obligingly and leaned over to pick it up, curious to see what she could do to make the two angry boys separate.

Lily took her wand and pointed it and the blurry fight. “Separatus!” James and Snape flew away from each other with a loud bang.

James’s glasses were broken, dangling off of his ears. Snape, who was obviously worse off, was sporting a bloody nose and what seemed to be the beginning of a black eye. Both eyed each other warily, until Sirius stepped in between them. “Are you two nuts? Fighting in the middle of the Hospital Wing! I’m not saying that I disapprove...” He paused. “Quite the opposite, in fact. It’s just... in broad daylight! How daft can you get? Madam Pompfrey will be here any minute!” He glared at the Slytherin. “Now, Snape. Why don’t you get that scum of my cousin and crawl back into the hole you came from?”

Snape scowled at Sirius, but there was nothing he could do. He was unarmed, and there were two wands pointing at him, and his only comrade was knocked out. He pulled out his own wand slowly, pointed it at Bellatrix, and muttered, “Ennervate.”

Bellatrix stirred and sat up, before Snape grabbed her wand and pulled her out of the silent Hospital Wing, whispering in her ear as they went along. Before they were out of view, Lily caught Bellatrix’s eyes and shivered. They were full of pure malice.

After an uncomfortable moment, Sirius cleared his throat. “Er... Prongs? We have some, er,” his eyes darted to Lily, “...business to do, remember?”

James started. “Oh yeah, right. Sorry I forgot, but I was a bit... distracted.”

Sirius snorted. “I’ll say,” he muttered loudly.

James shuffled his feet in embarrassment, until he heard Lily’s wavering voice. “Er... James?” Lily said quietly.

James’s eyes widened; he thought that Lily would be even madder at him for fighting than she was before. ‘Did she just call me James?’

Lily looked down, and quietly said, “Thanks.”

“Oh! No problem at all, Lily!” He was shocked. Did Lily just THANK him?
“And by the way...” Lily said, a slight giggle escaping her mouth, “Oculous Reparo.”

The broken glasses that had ridiculously been hanging down on James ears flew up, repaired themselves, and settled back on his nose.

James smiled. “Thanks!” Sirius cleared his throat impatiently, and James winced. He had forgotten about his friend. “Well, er, bye.”

Lily smiled at him.

James walked out of the Hospital Wing, puzzled thoughts running through his head, not even interrupted by Sirius’s exclamation of, “What in MERLIN’S beard was all that about?” James had no answer.