Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

I'll Hate You Forever (I Think) by kris250

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
~



Lily squirmed nervously in her plushy chair. Dumbledore was looking at her with his hands steepled, and his eyes lost their usual sparkle. “Now, tell me, Miss Evans. Did you get a good look at your attackers?”

Lily, not meeting his solemn eyes, replied, “You see, I don’t know, Professor.”

Dumbledore questioned her with his eyes. Lily continued, “I don’t remember a thing about the whole incident, but I’m positive that the two who did this were Bellatrix Black and Severus Snape.”

Dumbledore nodded. “Those are very grave accusations, Miss Evans. The only problem is that, as you yourself said, you have no recollection of that night.”

Lily’s eyes widened, and she lifted her head. “But, Professor! Bellatrix as good as told me that it was her!”

Dumbledore stood up and walked to the window. “Nevertheless, I cannot base punishment on so little evidence.”

Lily remained silent, aware of the fact that Dumbledore was deep in thought. He stared into the swirling mist outside, until the door burst open.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


“So, James, how is this supposed to work again?” Sirius asked in doubt.

The four Marauders were hunched over a table in the very room where they had become Animagi a year before.

Remus was scratching a design of Hogwarts into the large, yellow parchment before him, while James supervised.

“When the map of Hogwarts is done, I’ll pour this Animation Potion on top of it.” James held up a vial of blue potion he had made from the ingredients he ‘borrowed’ from Professor Milles two days ago. “It will cause the map to ‘come alive,’ and will show us where everyone is at the time. And when you, Sirius, have added in all of the secret passageways and passwords, I’ll put this Replicis Potion on it.” He held up a second vile of orange liquid. “That will let the map update itself whenever something changes, basically whenever someone takes a step.”

Peter’s eyes were wide in amazement, but Sirius had taken on a look of excitement at the possibilities opening up before them.

“And for the crowning touch,” James said proudly, “I’m going to add a Protection Charm on the whole thing when it’s completed, so not just anyone can look at it.”

Just then, Remus looked up. “It’s done.” He said, grinning.

“Excellent!” James exclaimed. “Peter, will you do the honor of pouring the Animation Potion on?”

Peter stepped forwards, trembling with the excitement of taking part in this project. He accepted the vile from James, and poured the potion on the map, and some of the table.

Sirius bounced over, and began to assign passwords to different places on the map. After a quite a few impatient minutes, he was done. Peter poured the last potion on.

James hunched over the parchment, pointed his wand, and whispered softly, “Proctapass.” Glancing at his friends looking on eagerly, he grinned. “I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.” Sirius sniggered, and Remus elbowed him in the ribs. Completing the spell, James said, “Mischief managed.” The map let out a soft yellow glow. James quickly grabbed the quill, dipped it in green ink, and wrote in large, fancy script:

Messers. Mooney, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs

Purveyors of Aids to Magical Mischief-Makers

are proud to present

The Marauder’s Map


As soon as he placed the quill back on the table, the glow faded from the map, leaving a blank piece of parchment in front of them.

“Oh no!” Peter exclaimed. “It didn’t work! All that work for-”

James cut him off by holding up a finger. “I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.”

With bated breath, the Marauders looked on, until ink finally started flowing across the parchment, as if James was writing the message all over again.

Sirius was the first to start cheering. It caught on, and soon all four boys were laughing, slapping each other on the back, and yelling at each other. Remus glanced at the map once more and paled.

“McGonagall’s coming! Hide!”

The boys dove into the closet, but James stopped. “The map!” he whispered. He turned and sprinted the short distance to the table, and said quickly, “Mischief managed.”

The map cleared the moment Professor McGonagall opened the door.

“Mr. Potter!” she exclaimed as soon as she saw him. “Just what do you think you are doing?”

James looked at the floor guiltily. “Well, Professor, I was...”

“None of your excuses, Potter! I have told you time and time again that the unused classrooms are out of limits! This is the third time this week, and the second time today!”

“Yes, Professor. I’ll never do it again.”

“Too right you won’t, Potter! The Headmaster will see to that!” Professor pointed at the door.

When he didn’t move, McGonagall sighed heavily, grabbed James by the arm, and marched him out of the room.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Lily turned in her seat to see Professor McGonagall drag James into Dumbledore’s office.

“Headmaster?” Professor McGonagall asked. “May I have a word?”

Dumbledore nodded, and the two teachers went into a side room. After the door was shut, Lily looked at the floor.

“So, why are you here, Evans?” James asked.

“Why do you think, Potter?” Lily answered, determined not to meet his eyes.

“Oh.” James said, nodding.

An uncomfortable silence set in. Lily and James continued to ignore each other, until the door reopened.

Dumbledore had a small smile on his face, while McGonagall looked disgruntled. She walked over to the door leading out of Dumbledore’s office, and paused. “I’d just like to say, Albus, that I don’t think this will ever work.” She left, leaving the two students to ponder what she had just said.

“Well, Miss Evans, it seems as though I have found a way to kill two birds with one stone, so to speak. As I have been worried for your personal safety, I have assigned a very capable person to keep watch over you, and be with at almost all times.”

Lily gasped. “Professor! You can’t mean...”

James’s eyes widened. Could it be?

“Yes, I’m afraid so, Miss Evans.” Ignoring James’s snort of protest, Dumbledore went on to say, “Mr. Potter, are you up for the task?”

Not believing his luck, James quickly replied, “YES! I mean, I can do it.”

“Excellent! Well, since that’s done, you two can show yourselves out.” Dumbledore sat down and started ruffling through papers on his desk.

James opened the door, and Lily stalked through, making sure to stomp on James’s foot on the way out.

He winced, then followed her through the door.

“So, Evans, where are we off to now?” James asked as soon as they were back in the main corridor.

Lily glared at him, about to reply, when the bell rang.

“I guess it’s down to lunch then!” James said happily. Lily, with seemingly less enthusiasm, scowled and followed James to the Great Hall.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Author’s Notes:

I’m really sorry it took me that long to update, but I’ve been busy lately. I hope you like the new ‘developments!’